PDA

View Full Version : THE 2005 FALL PREVIEW IS HERE!!!!

buckp
September 14th, 2005, 06:42 AM
That's right! They are finally here! I have in my grubby little paws a new.... virgin copy of the I-AA.org Magazine 2005 Fall Preview!!!! :hurray: :beerchug: :hyped: :rotateh:

....and.....and...it looks GREAT! It's bigger, thicker, better paper and has so much to read that I had to be chased out of the outhouse 3 times already this morning! Many, many thanks to Ralph, David (Coulson), all the writers and Retro Sports for putting this all together!!!!:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ya'll excuse me now......I've got the urge again....;)

buckp
September 14th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Oh! I forgot to mention....;)
All preorders will be mailed out today and everyone will get their copy as soon as the Post Office can deliver....:D

......but, the winners of the prestigious AGS 2005 Challenge Series (remember?) will receive their copy today!!!! That's right....probably this morning! :eek:

Congratulations again to: colgate13, 89Hen, putter and Ivytalk! :bow:

But wait.....ya'll sent me your home addresses, right? And you're at work...:p

colgate13
September 14th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Oooooyeeaaaaaaaa! If you're bummed that some of us are getting it FedEx'd to be here today, you should have took up buck on his contest and won.

I'll be reading my new mag tonite!

http://www.bleacheatingfreaks.com/morethandork/post12/napoleon.gif

89Hen
September 14th, 2005, 08:15 AM
but, the winners of the prestigious AGS 2005 Challenge Series (remember?) will receive their copy today!!!! That's right....probably this morning! Congratulations again to: colgate13, 89Hen, putter and Ivytalk! But wait.....ya'll sent me your home addresses, right? And you're at work...:p
:eek: :eek: I'll be right back.

buckp
September 14th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by buckp
But wait.....ya'll sent me your home addresses, right? And you're at work...:p

:eek: :eek: I'll be right back.

That was a work address you sent me, wasn't it 89.....;)

Ivytalk
September 14th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Oooooyeeaaaaaaaa! If you're bummed that some of us are getting it FedEx'd to be here today, you should have took up buck on his contest and won.

I'll be reading my new mag tonite!

http://www.bleacheatingfreaks.com/morethandork/post12/napoleon.gif

...with Napoleon Dy-no-mite!!!

Buck's copy ain't "virgin" no mo'!

89Hen
September 14th, 2005, 09:03 AM
:( Can't remember. Arrrgggghhh.

buckp
September 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by buckp

:( Can't remember. Arrrgggghhh.

I'll PM the address you sent me, 89....:nod:

Ivytalk
September 14th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Dr. Mrs. Ivy just called. My copy just arrived at the house!! Many thanks, buck, for your prompt service. Can't wait to get home!

Hansel
September 14th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Y'all are taunting me, I probably won't have mine til Fri/Sat :(

buckp
September 14th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Y'all are taunting me, I probably won't have mine til Fri/Sat :(

xazzx xazzx xazzx xazzx :D

(I was pullin' for ya' in the series, Hansel ;) )

I will tell all ya'll this......the mag is soooooo thick and heavy, that I could not FedEx it on the letter rate! :eek:

blackfordpu
September 14th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Can we still purchase it if we didn't pre-order it? :confused: :) :(

buckp
September 14th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Can we still purchase it if we didn't pre-order it? :confused: :) :(

Yes, contact RetroSports....http://www.retro-sports.com/

They have some extras! :nod:

Jacks99
September 14th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Sweet, just ordered mine. Look forward to reading it for the first time.

bluehenbillk
September 14th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I guess as long as we get it before the playoffs.

buckp
September 14th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I guess as long as we get it before the playoffs.

It will take you that long to read it....:eek: It's huge!

Jacks99
September 14th, 2005, 12:16 PM
FYI

When I placed the order it was $13 after shipping, but they sent an email saying they revised it to $9.45.

Chi Panther
September 14th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Just called Retro and Ordered

BIG WEEKEND in IOWA CITY BOYZ AND GIRLZ.....CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!

buckp
September 14th, 2005, 02:14 PM
FYI

When I placed the order it was $13 after shipping, but they sent an email saying they revised it to $9.45.

HEY!!!! That was suppose to be my 'bird dog' fee! :mad: ;)

89Hen
September 14th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Dr. Mrs. Ivy just called. My copy just arrived at the house!! Many thanks, buck, for your prompt service. Can't wait to get home!
Damn, wish I had a stay at home wife. I went home at lunch to find the FedEx door hangar telling me I can come pick it up since nobody was home to sign for it. :(

dungeonjoe
September 14th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Damn, wish I had a stay at home wife. I went home at lunch to find the FedEx door hangar telling me I can come pick it up since nobody was home to sign for it. :(

I am sure that would bring her utter fulfillment, to stay at home just to be your FedEx honey! :)

Ivytalk
September 14th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Today was the good doctor's day off. She works Saturdays...which frees me up to watch football!! :D

dungeonjoe
September 14th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Today was the good doctor's day off. She works Saturdays...which frees me up to watch football!! :D

Married life must be tough for you guys! I guess your wives don't check this board often do they?

buckp
September 14th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Isn't it late? :cool:

Naaaa.....with McNeese not playing a home game till 9/24 - it's right on time!

Thanks again for everything (especially page 107), Ralph! :bow:

89Hen
September 15th, 2005, 07:40 AM
I am sure that would bring her utter fulfillment, to stay at home just to be your FedEx honey! :)
Absolutely! Then she could greet me at the door with a beer and a smile when I come home from a long day on the golf course. :p

buckp
September 15th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Did everyone who was a AGS Challenge Series winner get their copy of the mag?

Please let me know.....:confused:

Proud Griz Man
September 15th, 2005, 09:34 AM
This interested party is still waiting by his Mail Box for the magazine, patiently.

:) :) ;) :cool:

Ivytalk
September 15th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Outstanding product!! Packed with info, it should make for hours of terrific bathroom reading. Move over, Playboy, make way for the 2005 Preview! Seriously, Ralph, it's great!! :D

Umass74
September 15th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Still no preview in today's mail :(

X-Factor
September 15th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I just ordered mine yesturday

putter
September 15th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Buck,

Received it yesterday and it turned out great! Lots of work went into it and I appreciate everything everyone did to put it together.

buckp
September 15th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Buck,

Received it yesterday and it turned out great! Lots of work went into it and I appreciate everything everyone did to put it together.

Did you read the stories on page 107 yet? ;)

ISUMatt
September 15th, 2005, 03:11 PM
damn was hoping it came today, maybe tomorrow

89Hen
September 15th, 2005, 08:20 PM
WOW!!! It is awesome! Great content and I love the back cover!! Thanks Ralph and team and thanks Buck for getting it to me!

Hansel
September 15th, 2005, 08:29 PM
WOW!!! It is awesome! Great content and I love the back cover!! Thanks Ralph and team and thanks Buck for getting it to me!
still waiting, too bad I sucked at the AGS challenges :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

ISUMatt
September 16th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Man Ralph is gonna crap his Knickers when he sees all those flags!!!

Tribe4SF
September 16th, 2005, 06:00 AM
PAGE 107:

A I-AA FAN'S PROUDEST MOMENT
ANYGIVENSATURDAY.COM CONTEST ENTRIES

dungeonjoe
colgate13
putter
LBPop
buckp
Tribe4SF

:hurray:

Yikes!!! :eek: I'm famous!!!! :cool:

colgate13
September 16th, 2005, 06:04 AM
PAGE 107:

A I-AA FAN'S PROUDEST MOMENT
ANYGIVENSATURDAY.COM CONTEST ENTRIES

dungeonjoe
colgate13
putter
LBPop
buckp
Tribe4SF

:hurray:

Very cool.... I'm blushing... :)

dungeonjoe
September 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM
my wife cried when she saw pages 106-107. Don't know if it was the SoCon preview and Wofford's expected order of finish or the collection of stuff on 107. ;)

saint0917
September 16th, 2005, 06:35 AM
I'm still waiting :( :bawling: maybe it will be here today :) :D

bluehenbillk
September 16th, 2005, 06:43 AM
still waiting too, hopefully it comes before the playoffs!!!

buckp
September 16th, 2005, 07:28 AM
When I was at Retro-Sports buying my seven copies, I could not believe the amount of orders that were being packaged. The whole counter which runs the length of the building was covered with those brown bubble mailers and boxes with different members' names on them. Although I didn't recognize anybody's real name, I thought of how strange it was that this following has grown so large when the magazine is only two years old...:bow:

I will say that all pre-order magazines have been mailed via Priority Mail by the U.S. Postal Service and went out Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning. If you had multiple mags, they had to be shipped UPS. The members that are closest to Lake Charles, LA should have received their copy yesterday or today (Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, etc.) - the rest of you can get an idea from this when about your copy should show up. It would be interesting to hear from the different members when they receive their copy as this mailing spreads over the country....:nod:

Hansel
September 16th, 2005, 07:42 AM
When I was at Retro-Sports buying my seven copies, I could not believe the amount of orders that were being packaged. The whole counter which runs the length of the building was covered with those brown bubble mailers and boxes with different members' names on them. Although I didn't recognize anybody's real name, I thought of how strange it was that this following has grown so large when the magazine is only two years old...:bow:

I will say that all pre-order magazines have been mailed via Priority Mail by the U.S. Postal Service and went out Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning. If you had multiple mags, they had to be shipped UPS. The members that are closest to Lake Charles, LA should have received their copy yesterday or today (Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, etc.) - the rest of you can get an idea from this when about your copy should show up. It would be interesting to hear from the different members when they receive their copy as this mailing spreads over the country....:nod:
Were they shipped via Priority Mail?

buckp
September 16th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Were they shipped via Priority Mail?

Originally Posted by Retro

5. All orders will ship 1st class or priority mail, some UPS for larger orders.

I'll have to check again with Retro......:o

SuperEagle
September 16th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I'm here in Georgia and I got mine today. It's a great read!!!!
Thanks Ralph. Articles are fabulous.
I especially enjoyed the article on pg. 30 talking about 1A schools playing 1AA teams. Appears 1AA schools did better last year against BCS teams than did 1A conferences such as the MAC and Sun Belt.
Anyway thanks for the hard work. It's much appreciated!!!!

ISUMatt
September 16th, 2005, 01:22 PM
No Mag for mr today!! Maybe tomorrow!!

Hansel
September 16th, 2005, 01:27 PM
that doesn't bode well for me here in iowa...

kardplayer
September 16th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Mrs. Kard says the magazine has arrived (northern NJ) - I may have to take an early train home!

buckp
September 16th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by ISUMatt (Bolingbrook,IL)

that doesn't bode well for me here in iowa...
Mrs. Kard says the magazine has arrived (northern NJ) - I may have to take an early train home!

East coast bias!!!! :eek: ;)

Hansel
September 16th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Ran home and checked the mail, sure enough I had a thick package awaiting, its real and its spectacular.

CatFan22
September 16th, 2005, 03:14 PM
East coast bias!!!! :eek: ;)
Agreed!

bluehenbillk
September 16th, 2005, 03:49 PM
the wife informs me it arrived today, I'll have my review on Monday

ngineer
September 16th, 2005, 04:46 PM
The Mag arrived today. Stopped home at lunchtime and there it was in its "Retro" envelope--tore it open. Looks First Class--Great Job! I'll be readin' it tonight. ;)

saint0917
September 16th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Mine didn't come today :(

Umass74
September 16th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Mine arrive here in Jaffrey, NH today. :)

eaglesrthe1
September 18th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Would love to get my hands on this thing. Maybe Monday. :cool:

P2TheB
September 18th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Mine arrived Saturday...it is great! I haven't read it all yet, but look forward to in the near future. Thanks ralph!

blackfordpu
September 18th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Is shipping really $7.00?

Hansel
September 18th, 2005, 10:49 PM
no they adjust that figure manually

Proud Griz Man
September 18th, 2005, 11:44 PM
I received mine on Friday. Thanks guys.

But we can't really call it the Fall "Preview" if I get it week 3. ;) ;) :D :D :o :o

ISUMatt
September 19th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Maybe today they will reach illinois!!!

saint0917
September 19th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Maybe today they will reach illinois!!!

And Connecticut too. :nod:

McNeese75
September 19th, 2005, 08:59 AM
I received mine on Friday. Thanks guys.

But we can't really call it the Fall "Preview" if I get it week 3. ;) ;) :D :D :o :o

Funny, but by my calendar, its not even fall yet???? :confused: :D

Tribe4SF
September 19th, 2005, 09:05 AM
And Connecticut too. :nod:

And Virginia too! :confused:

Proud Griz Man
September 19th, 2005, 09:46 AM
No thanks needed, you bought it. Do you like it? Glad you received it before any meaningful Montana games (not that Ft. Whatever and Ducks are not important).

:D :D :D :D Good book fellas!

And they are all meaningful. Any Given Saturday, right? ;)

saint0917
September 19th, 2005, 02:35 PM
My 3 magazines just came in the mail WOOOOOHOOOOOO, I can't talk I have to go read :nod:

Jacks99
September 19th, 2005, 02:40 PM

After I ordered mine, they sent an email dropping the total price to $9.45

Hansel
September 19th, 2005, 02:40 PM
To you and everyone, I am not into kudos...

have you tried the new ones... they're delicious

http://www.rockofagescandy.com/STDCandyBars/Products/Kudos.gif

ISUMatt
September 19th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Yea I got my 3 copies today!!!

SiouxFallsJack
September 19th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I just received my two copies today!! :hurray: :hurray: :hyped: :hyped:

As a newcomer to I-AA, I'm thrilled there is a magazine dedicated only to I-AA. I'm looking forward to reading/learning about all of our peer institutions throughout the country.

Everybody stop posting so I don't miss anything. ;)

Again, thanks to all involved with the magazine.

I-AA Football Guru
September 19th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Ya I just got mine!!! Finally something dedicated to 1-aa.

Feathered Fury
September 19th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Ralph,

My hat is off to you on this years book. I try not to be too cynical. Last years book I was a bit downtrodden about because there just wasn't much on JSU. Which by the way is when you get down to brass tacks all I care about be it I-AA, I-A, D-II, D-III, NAIA. I am a one team guy!!! So I admit I was a little hesistant to buy this year. I was elated to see much more of a JSU section, and coverage on our victims...err other conference brethren. So a tip of the hat from FF to you Ralph. I will gladly buy again. I hope you don't let one snag of a year on production dates kill the glamour book of I-AA. I think it needs to be printed annually and the quality has increased unbelievably from year one to year two. Great Job to you and thanks to Retro for placing it into print!!! One thing I would love to see added would be recruiting class rankings for I-AA/ and top Senior High School players that are looking to I-AA. I think some of this type coverage in future volumes would encourage some spirited conversation. Also one great thing about these annuals is usually with my Street & Smiths, Sporting News previews they find the garbage can by late November. These are actually a nifty little keepsake atleast mine are.

eaglesrthe1
September 19th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Got the mag.:hurray: Looks great! :) Great job by all involved. :)

bisonguy
September 19th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Received my copies today!!!

I-AA all the way!!!!

JMU Duke Dog
September 19th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I got my two magazines today!

Tribe4SF
September 20th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Well, I guess Williamsburg is the toughest place to reach from wherever Retro is. Apparently I'm going to be the last one to receive the magazine. Have received no emails adjusting my shipping charges, so apparently I'm paying full fare for my multiple copies. Should have kept my mouth shut. :bang:

JaxSinfonian
September 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM
My copy finally arrived in northeast Alabama yesterday. Thank goodness the post office remembered I'd moved since ordering it.

I don't mean to open it and start criticizing right away, but I flipped to the OVC section first, of course, and this leapt out at me from the "games to watch" piece:

"Sept. 24: Samford at Eastern Illinois
Two teams that were once perennial OVC front-runners are looking to improve and do battle in Charleston."

Was Samford in the OVC in another life or something? Because since joining the league in 2003 the Bulldogs have finished tied for third and then in sixth place.

Oh, and here's another error: Eastern Kentucky is picked to win the OVC. ;)

But for that little bit of criticism the mag looks great overall. With this on the market for two years now, professional publishers have to be asking themselves why they're not paying more attention to I-AA. Ralph, have you guys tried to sell more ads than Retro's? Surely somebody out there is willing to pay to get their message in front of I-AA fans' eyes.

The Gadfly
September 20th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Got mine yesterday. Thanks guys, it looks great. :nod:

McNeese75
September 20th, 2005, 01:11 PM
My copy finally arrived in northeast Alabama yesterday. Thank goodness the post office remembered I'd moved since ordering it.

I don't mean to open it and start criticizing right away, but I flipped to the OVC section first, of course, and this leapt out at me from the "games to watch" piece:

"Sept. 24: Samford at Eastern Illinois
Two teams that were once perennial OVC front-runners are looking to improve and do battle in Charleston."

Was Samford in the OVC in another life or something? Because since joining the league in 2003 the Bulldogs have finished tied for third and then in sixth place.

Oh, and here's another error: Eastern Kentucky is picked to win the OVC. ;)

But for that little bit of criticism the mag looks great overall. With this on the market for two years now, professional publishers have to be asking themselves why they're not paying more attention to I-AA. Ralph, have you guys tried to sell more ads than Retro's? Surely somebody out there is willing to pay to get their message in front of I-AA fans' eyes.

Ralph, I nominate Jaxsinfonian to fill the role of marketing manager to promote and acquire advertising for the 2006 magazine at the same salary as that position current pays!!!! :eek: :D

Jacks99
September 20th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Just got mine. Ton of print. Good stuff and good job!

Tribe4SF
September 20th, 2005, 10:12 PM
It's here!!! :eek:

Looks good. Of course I went straight to the write-up on W&M to learn that Mike Potts was the heir apparent to Lang Campbell, and that he would be pushed by Christian Taylor. Now I love Christian Taylor (Tribe holder this season, so he is technically succeeding Lang) and am glad to see his name in print, but who wrote that review?

To someone else's credit, Jake Phillips is mentioned in the write-up on dynamic duos.

Tribe4SF
September 20th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Check page 107.

Coulson wrote the A-10 preview article and the DYNAMIC DUOS cover feature. (I wrote the foreword!)

He wrote them both? :eek: Obviously on different days. :confused:

Pg. 107 is a nice touch, revealing the passion of I-AA fans. Don't know about that last one, though. :o

Tribe4SF
September 20th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Absolutely. This is obviously the labor of love it was billed to be. A celebration of our division that's so deserving.

Thank you for all your work. If I can ever help, just ask.

JaxSinfonian
September 21st, 2005, 07:32 AM
Ralph, I nominate Jaxsinfonian to fill the role of marketing manager to promote and acquire advertising for the 2006 magazine at the same salary as that position current pays!!!! :eek: :D

LOL, I kinda smelled that one coming even as I was typing my post. I don't know if I'm the best person for that job, or if advertising is even something Ralph & Co. want. Just curious.

But along the hypothetical lines, anyone have any guesses on who the best bets to buy ads would be?

buckp
September 21st, 2005, 07:48 AM
...But along the hypothetical lines, anyone have any guesses on who the best bets to buy ads would be?

Sports boutique shops that carry I-AA merchandise? ;)

http://www.retro-sports.com/images/header.jpg

bluehenbillk
September 21st, 2005, 09:57 AM
Even though I was critical about the timing, kudos to everyone who put together the preview, very well done & a great info source for me to look at teams outside of the A-10.

89Hen
September 21st, 2005, 10:35 AM
kudos to everyone who put together the preview
Yeah, especially big KUDOS to Ralph! :p ;)

buckp
September 21st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Has everybody received their magazine? We are thinking about having a contest on finding errors in the mag.....possibly starting tomorrow! :eek:

Stayed tuned....;)

http://mynewnameisdad.blogspot.com/radio.jpg

LBPop
September 21st, 2005, 03:05 PM
Yeah, especially big KUDOS to Ralph! :p ;)
Ditto that! Just got mine and it's phenomenal!

Chi Panther
September 21st, 2005, 09:47 PM
Just got mine.....

Nice work to everyone who contributed.

Excellent distribution to Retro Sports.....received it in 3 business days.

I can't wait to see how it grows and continues to get better!!!!!!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

saint0917
September 22nd, 2005, 06:05 AM
Has everybody received their magazine? We are thinking about having a contest on finding errors in the mag.....possibly starting tomorrow! :eek:

Stayed tuned....;)

What's the winner get? Will it be a date with you buckp at a romantic location ;)

http://home.nc.rr.com/volpe/images/Events/jimpat.jpg

buckp
September 22nd, 2005, 06:26 AM
What's the winner get? Will it be a date with you buckp at a romantic location.... ;)
.......with a few other guests! :eek: :p

http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/15249.JPG

saint0917
September 22nd, 2005, 06:33 AM
.......with a few other guests! :eek: :p

http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/15249.JPG

Now your talking my friend :nod: :nod: Who says three's a crowd :D

blur2005
September 22nd, 2005, 12:08 PM
I finally got the Preview today, thank God. It is indeed full of information, and I want to thank Ralph, Coulson, Swami, and anyone else who worked on it for their hard work. Also, thanks to Retro Sports for printing.