PDA

View Full Version : A&M drops Tennessee State to renew Tuskegee rilvary

SU Jag
December 9th, 2007, 09:42 PM
For the past few years Alabama A&M has opened up the season with Tennessee State in the John Merritt Classic, but they will not meet in 08. Alabama A&M will renew its long-time rilvary with the winningest HBCU football team, the Tuskegee Golden Tigers. Plans are for the two to meet in Birmingham anually. Rumors are that Southern will be TSU's opponent in the upcomming John Merritt Classic.

R.A.
December 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM
no surprises here

TexasTerror
December 9th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Why is this happening in 2008? Tuskegee's schedule?

Seems that with next year being a 12-game schedule and there being two additional spots on the SWAC OOC slates to begin with, that AAMU would want to do both...

SU Jag
December 9th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Why is this happening in 2008? Tuskegee's schedule?

Seems that with next year being a 12-game schedule and there being two additional spots on the SWAC OOC slates to begin with, that AAMU would want to do both...

?Beats me. I know that there was a schedule conflict. The John Merrit Classic is the same weekend as the Labor Day Golden Classic. AAMU wanted the Tuskegee game more than the TSU game. The John Merrit Classic was only drawing around 27,000, with AAMU and Tuskegee playing in Birmingham they crowd will be around the 50-55,000 mark.

Cocky
December 10th, 2007, 06:46 AM
A&M dropped us for the TSU game.

813Jag
December 10th, 2007, 06:53 AM
That's interesting, I had heard that TSU was interested in playing Southern in the Merrit Classic.

SU Jag
December 10th, 2007, 01:01 PM
That's interesting, I had heard that TSU was interested in playing Southern in the Merrit Classic.

Yep! And Alabama A&M will open up in Birmingham against Tuskegee in the Labor Day Classic.

SU Jag
December 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM
A&M dropped us for the TSU game.

It was a bigger game for them, could you blame them?

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 10th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Yep! And Alabama A&M will open up in Birmingham against Tuskegee in the Labor Day Classic.

No. AAMU and Tuskegee are playing in the Circle City Classic.

Zoo
December 10th, 2007, 04:58 PM
That's good to always see a rivalry be brought back like this. But I have a few questions.

Does Alabama State play them every year?

When was the last time Alabama A&M played Tuskegee?

brownbear
December 10th, 2007, 05:32 PM
That's good to always see a rivalry be brought back like this. But I have a few questions.

Does Alabama State play them every year?

When was the last time Alabama A&M played Tuskegee?

They last played in 1999

Cocky
December 10th, 2007, 07:44 PM
It was a bigger game for them, could you blame them?

I don't know. They did come back and try to schedule us again and JSU refuse the invite. I would rather pay a top ranked FCS team like the Furman series but the A&M games were fun. I do believe the A&M's AD at that time has moved on so maybe the hatchett is buried.

SU Jag
December 10th, 2007, 11:10 PM
No. AAMU and Tuskegee are playing in the Circle City Classic.

The City and alums of both schools are trying to get the game played in B'ham. It makes so sense to play it in Indyxsmhx

bigbluetiger
December 11th, 2007, 10:09 AM
That's contrary to what I've heard. I heard that TSU was opening up at A&M Labor Day weekend and SU would come to Nashville the following weekend.