PDA

View Full Version : 2023 South Dakota St @ Youngstown St.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2023, 10:49 AM
Big game this week as #1 SDSU comes to town to play a ranked YSU team. First a look at SDSU - roster shows 14 transfers and 7 Florida players and 8 others from Texas, California and Arizona. They are for the most part from the Midwest and Plains states with a concentration around metro Chicago. They have the best league QB (Gronowski with leading Pass Efficiency of 178.81 and 18 TDS) and the best RB ( Davis with 860 yds and 9 TDS). As a team, they have the best O scoring 38.33 pts a game and best D giving up only 11.89 pts a game. However, their real strength is in the trenches and the fact the team is older. Up front they are big, strong and well coached. They start Seniors at 10 of 11 D positions and 8 on O. They have also played a tough league schedule and whipped all. They should beat YSU.

However, you have to play the game. No gimmes here ! lol

POD Knows
November 6th, 2023, 12:15 PM
Big game this week as #1 SDSU comes to town to play a ranked YSU team. First a look at SDSU - roster shows 14 transfers and 7 Florida players and 8 others from Texas, California and Arizona. They are for the most part from the Midwest and Plains states with a concentration around metro Chicago. They have the best league QB (Gronowski with leading Pass Efficiency of 178.81 and 18 TDS) and the best RB ( Davis with 860 yds and 9 TDS). As a team, they have the best O scoring 38.33 pts a game and best D giving up only 11.89 pts a game. However, their real strength is in the trenches and the fact the team is older. Up front they are big, strong and well coached. They start Seniors at 10 of 11 D positions and 8 on O. They have also played a tough league schedule and whipped all. They should beat YSU.

However, you have to play the game. No gimmes here ! lol
I don't know how many of those seniors have another year of eligibility, hell, as ****ed up as this stupid Covid thing is, maybe all of them return.

RahRahRabbits
November 6th, 2023, 01:01 PM
I don't know how many of those seniors have another year of eligibility, hell, as ****ed up as this stupid Covid thing is, maybe all of them return.

Ya'll are acting like SDSU was the only one who was granted these arbitrary 6th-year Covid eligibility rules by the NCAA. Being older isn't always a good thing! Some of the guys are already receiving AARP cards in the mail, and the rest have problems with their knees in the cold... watch out come playoffs in Brookings I guess...

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2023, 01:39 PM
YSU is on a roll winning 3 straight and looks to finish winning 4 of their last 5. Beating SDSU would be an even bigger deal. While we have a number of highly ranked players in league stats, the real test will be how they do in the trenches. YSU has big strong players with years of starting experience but not quite as old as SDSU. If they can hold their own, we will make a game of it. My opinion, SDSU is the best team in FCS so it would help for YSU to have some trick plays and gadgets they can pull out. They also need to be more disciplined as penalties have led to 2 close 3 point losses to ranked teams on the road. The coaching staff needs to eliminate the brain farts that cause them to do dumb things that impact a game. The infamous 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 at UNI come to mind. Ditto passing late in the game vs ISUb when they had no timeouts and you need to keep the clock running by running the ball instead.

Weather doesn’t seem to be a worry. We might have a bigger crowd with #1 coming to town and playoffs on the horizon. Plus Ohio St plays much later,lol

The Yo Show
November 6th, 2023, 07:16 PM
So... I know the backup has done well, but ysu has had a harder time running on the interior with Aiden Parker out. Seeing if he is healthy or out is a big difference I think this week.

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2023, 07:39 PM
So... I know the backup has done well, but ysu has had a harder time running on the interior with Aiden Parker out. Seeing if he is healthy or out is a big difference I think this week.

I called this during game time - Nothing wrong with Keens blocking as the Trees were pinching and stunting inside trying to jam our favorite inside plays. That left them vulnerable to outside plays. While Davidson is not a strong runner and YSU doesn’t want to risk getting him hurt, it was a clinic that Brungard put on with only 3 carries for 59 yds outside to be our leading rusher. It took our coaches too long to figure out what was going on and get Brungard into the game to exploit the Trees weakness. Nothing wrong with Keens play the week before either. Anyone who said otherwise didn’t break the game down very well to see what was happening and why inside plays were not succeeding. We also failed to use more play action passing off the same run action.

YSU is reluctant to run Davidson but Brungard has a strong run game. Use their abilities accordingly. Parker has faced the same tactics and the coaches went outside for him as well. This is a case of calling the right plays for what the D takes away from you but gives up being vulnerable elsewhere. But the coaches have to call the correct plays !

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2023, 07:58 PM
Weather doesn’t seem to be a worry. We might have a bigger crowd with #1 coming to town and playoffs on the horizon. Plus Ohio St plays much later,lol

Any guesstimates as to attendance? 15k possible?

ysubigred
November 6th, 2023, 08:21 PM
Any guesstimates as to attendance? 15k possible?If YSU wins, would it be nonsense to storm the field and tear down a goal post.. [emoji848]

The faithful is too old, and the students may be too lazy lol.

15k will be a stretch.. I know my group of 15 will be there.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

The Yo Show
November 6th, 2023, 08:26 PM
If YSU wins, would it be nonsense to storm the field and tear down a goal post.. [emoji848]

The faithful is too old, and the students may be too lazy lol.

15k will be a stretch.. I know my group of 15 will be there.

Definitely goal post tear down worthy.

The Yo Show
November 6th, 2023, 08:27 PM
I called this during game time - Nothing wrong with Keens blocking as the Trees were pinching and stunting inside trying to jam our favorite inside plays. That left them vulnerable to outside plays. While Davidson is not a strong runner and YSU doesn’t want to risk getting him hurt, it was a clinic that Brungard put on with only 3 carries for 59 yds outside to be our leading rusher. It took our coaches too long to figure out what was going on and get Brungard into the game to exploit the Trees weakness. Nothing wrong with Keens play the week before either. Anyone who said otherwise didn’t break the game down very well to see what was happening and why inside plays were not succeeding. We also failed to use more play action passing off the same run action.

YSU is reluctant to run Davidson but Brungard has a strong run game. Use their abilities accordingly. Parker has faced the same tactics and the coaches went outside for him as well. This is a case of calling the right plays for what the D takes away from you but gives up being vulnerable elsewhere. But the coaches have to call the correct plays !

So I agree better calls would have helped sooner. But you don't think there's anything to my thought then? Keen is just as good run blocking as Parker and getting Parker back wouldn't change much?

Paladin1aa
November 6th, 2023, 08:45 PM
Keen is fundamentally sound. He was an OT in h.s. But has been excellent at C. He lacks experience but he is not overmatched. He has an excellent future here. Will play a lot and maybe at several positions. Part of the monster RFR recruit class. Parker is a nice player as well. He has also played several positions as one of our better OL. He has started for 3 years and playing C new this year after playing OG. I’m comfortable with either player.

penguinpower
November 7th, 2023, 04:28 AM
Definitely goal post tear down worthy.

As an older fan, I prefer to act like we've been there before. Tearing down the goal posts is what a non-blue blood program fanbase does. Back to reality here.

We have a 15% chance at beating them at home.

As Paladin stated earlier, it's possible but not probable. YSU would need to play a perfect game and SDSU would have to make some mistakes. Realize that they've steamrolled everyone they've played. Maybe not early in the year, but they've since gotten fine tuned. I watched them play NDSU. They aren't flashy. They take their time, they line up and it seems every single play goes in their direction. What I find to be remarkable is how EVERYONE blocks downfield on every single play. They look like the NDSU teams from 5 years ago.

Paladin1aa
November 7th, 2023, 10:18 AM
Watching SDSU they remind me of the dominate YSU teams of the 90s who won 4 titles. They are not fancy. Line up straight forward and do things very well, hit you in the mouth and don’t make a lot of mistakes. The D is superb. Twin brothers play the WRs and they are very good. But the guy you need to account for is the TE. He has a chance to play on Sundays. They are a machine.

YSU needs to have a few trick plays in their bag, must not turn the ball over and stop the stupid penalties. Good special teams for field position and try to keep them in long field situations. I also can’t emphasize enough, King needs to get 25 carries or more and they need to throw to him and the underused TEs. Davidson has a high completion record on short throws and we don’t use the TEs enough, most of whom have excellent hands. Heavy on play action passes. We are the underdogs so come prepared to do what we do best, throw in some surprise plays and cut down on the errors and brain farts by the coaches.

It’s going to be sunny, dry and around 48 on Saturday. Might be a little wind but otherwise, a perfect day. Treat this like a playoff game. Go big or go home.

Paladin1aa
November 7th, 2023, 02:21 PM
So I agree better calls would have helped sooner. But you don't think there's anything to my thought then? Keen is just as good run blocking as Parker and getting Parker back wouldn't change much?

Yo - game notes are out. They list either/or for Parker or Keen at C. Probably a game time call. But they are now listing Keen as the backup at LG so they see him as one of their best OL to play or backup at 2 positions. That’s always a good sign as that makes him better than other OL and we now have several who help our depth which was pitiful under Pelini.

Kemo
November 7th, 2023, 04:26 PM
This game would have had me nervous even a few years ago, as it sets up for the classic "let down game" SDSU seemed to have every year, but I have a lot more confidence in Coach Rogers keeping this veteran team focused.

Not saying YSU can't win, but I think they'd likely need to be +2 in the turnover margin and the Jackrabbits would have to have an off-day on at least one side, if not both sides, of the ball.

POD Knows
November 7th, 2023, 04:43 PM
Ya'll are acting like SDSU was the only one who was granted these arbitrary 6th-year Covid eligibility rules by the NCAA. Being older isn't always a good thing! Some of the guys are already receiving AARP cards in the mail, and the rest have problems with their knees in the cold... watch out come playoffs in Brookings I guess...Oh trust me, we have too, probably just as many as SDSU.

The Yo Show
November 7th, 2023, 07:43 PM
As an older fan, I prefer to act like we've been there before. Tearing down the goal posts is what a non-blue blood program fanbase does. Back to reality here.

We have a 15% chance at beating them at home.

As Paladin stated earlier, it's possible but not probable. YSU would need to play a perfect game and SDSU would have to make some mistakes. Realize that they've steamrolled everyone they've played. Maybe not early in the year, but they've since gotten fine tuned. I watched them play NDSU. They aren't flashy. They take their time, they line up and it seems every single play goes in their direction. What I find to be remarkable is how EVERYONE blocks downfield on every single play. They look like the NDSU teams from 5 years ago.

I agree it's uphill battle. But I think odds may be higher than 15%. Massey says 16% but I think it's maybe higher than that. SIU played SDSU really close, and this game is at home....

I'm not delusional I still think YSU will likely lose but I'm hoping that YSU pulls off the upset.

And fair I guess on the goal post comment. I will say though, I was dead serious when I said it for the Ohio State game. If YSU had somehow managed to win that game at the beginning of the year, not only would I have tried to pull down a goal post but I would have probably had a stroke lol

BeamMeUp
November 8th, 2023, 05:26 AM
YSU's last 13 conference games (9-4 record)

-Worst Loss - By 5 to UND at home 35-30 in 2022
-Best Win - By 28 over SIU at home 31-3 in 2023

In this league, that is remarkable consistency. This team has played in a lot of tight games over the past two seasons. I would certainly not be surprised by another tight one on Saturday.

Paladin1aa
November 8th, 2023, 12:04 PM
So, my 2 cents - SDSU is the favorite. However I’d put odds of YSU winning at around 35-40%. SDSU is the leagues best on O and D. But YSU still ranks high in stopping ground attacks. Their pass D has had problems but it comes from poorly played zon3 coverage. Their man coverage has been good. If the coaches are smart, they will trust the man coverage . If YSU remains effective limiting the ground game and is effective playing man, it’s a game. The intangibles are turnovers, penalties and special teams. YSU has had good special teams all season. That leaves turnovers and penalties. Turnovers usually happen with the QB- INTs and fumbles. It will be important for Davidson not to force his throws and tuck it and run if receivers are covered and not take long in the pocket. Those produce poor decisions risking a throw or taking too long and getting hit and fumbling. Best to throw it away or run even for short or no gain. Possession is the goal and playing field position. Penalties is the major problem. Many come from lack of discipline- personal fouls, off sides, etc. Other come from poor execution - holding, pass interference,etc. Players need to be reminded they have no chance making major mistakes and focus on competing and doing their best and not creating a problem doing something they know will hurt the team. No excuse for having a TD called back on penalty or giving the other team a first down on penalty. Focus and discipline.

The Bunnies are the favorites, but YSU has some talent. Goal is to play well at what we do well, avoid penalties and turnovers and have some surprises for them to cut down on their edge in talent. Any thing can happen in a game. Some happens because of what you do ( or don’t do) and others happen from random bounces of the ball. Trust in yourselves, make a big effort and don’t beat yourself.

Appy St beat Michigan. YSU stomped Pitt. SDSU is on the schedule. Play the game. Hell we lost against Ohio State, but played well against them. SDSU ain’t Ohio State.

The Yo Show
November 9th, 2023, 09:19 PM
Link to twitter space discussing the matchup
https://twitter.com/WeAreYoungstown/status/1722781554210959729?t=Bli52ftd-2Cgvm7ZSbia-g&s=19

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2023, 10:08 AM
Just keep it within 21 points

RahRahRabbits
November 10th, 2023, 11:54 AM

Hmm... I wonder which option you selected in the AGS pick'em! lol! If you astrologer declared it, it must be true. 21 points was an awful lot to eat in this matchup though... Not going to be shocked or surprised either way, but I also expect it to be closer than 21.

The Yo Show
November 10th, 2023, 12:23 PM

I personally do think I will be close but who knows

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2023, 01:47 PM
Hmm... I wonder which option you selected in the AGS pick'em! lol! If you astrologer declared it, it must be true. 21 points was an awful lot to eat in this matchup though... Not going to be shocked or surprised either way, but I also expect it to be closer than 21.

I’m the Astrologer but I like your humor

ysubigred
November 10th, 2023, 05:02 PM
Just keep it within 21 pointsJust win a few more games on ur weak ass schedule, Senor..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231110/32efa4238c23818922ed550d2342335d.jpg

penguinpower
November 10th, 2023, 08:04 PM
The only team in college football to play both #1 in FBS and #1 in FCS?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2023, 08:57 PM
The only team in college football to play both #1 in FBS and #1 in FCS?

I wonder what the precedent is for this occurrence? Georgia Southern in the late 80s, early 90s came to mind as a team who possibly faced these two hurdles. The closest they came was in 1993, lost to #1 Marshall and #3 Miami (FL)...

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2023, 11:22 AM
Bunnies FG

3-0

The Yo Show
November 11th, 2023, 11:28 AM
Ugh. Need to get something going on offense

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2023, 11:46 AM
YSU is not using King as they should. He is your best back. Unreal

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2023, 11:58 AM
Bunnies short TD pass

Bunnies 10-0

The Yo Show
November 11th, 2023, 11:59 AM
If YSU doesn't respond here it's over

SeattleCat
November 11th, 2023, 12:03 PM
That was the easiest pick I've ever seen.

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2023, 12:06 PM
SDSU TD pass

Bunnies 17-0

penguinpower
November 11th, 2023, 12:08 PM
I don't like their sportsmanship at all.

ysubigred
November 11th, 2023, 12:10 PM
Pee wee team playing the varsity.. Not MVFC big yet..

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2023, 12:15 PM
YSU TD called backed ? Why

SeattleCat
November 11th, 2023, 12:15 PM
well this is reminiscent of the inadvertent whistle in Montana States game last week.

SeattleCat
November 11th, 2023, 12:17 PM
SDSU should just let the guin's walk it in to be fair.

The Yo Show
November 11th, 2023, 12:17 PM
Apparently it was targeting

SeattleCat
November 11th, 2023, 12:18 PM
Apparently it was targeting

but to rub more salt in it, it wasn't.

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2023, 12:24 PM
YSU FG blocked

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2023, 12:28 PM
SDSU 44 yd FG

Bunnies 20-0

seconds till half

The Yo Show
November 11th, 2023, 12:32 PM
Penguins are in a huge hole. Don't see the climbing out of this one 😔

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2023, 12:35 PM
Tough game. O is struggling and D on field too long. Bad officials .

Half time adjustments ?

The Yo Show
November 11th, 2023, 12:43 PM
Tough game. O is struggling and D on field too long. Bad officials .

Half time adjustments ?

I know the staff has had good halftime adjustments but I'm not sure that's enough to overcome a 20 pt deficit against the #1 overall team

- - - Updated - - -

Especially when they get the ball after half

Chalupa Batman
November 11th, 2023, 12:45 PM
Went back and watched the TD that wasn't a few times. Didn't hear any whistles at all during the play, didn't see any of the refs running it right at the last second trying to stop the play, and didn't see any player from either team stop playing indicating there was a whistle not heard on the TV. Very strange, and then add insult to injury the ensuing FG gets blocked.

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2023, 12:54 PM
SDSU scores immediately. 27-0

This one is over. They are #1 for a reason.

stuperman17
November 11th, 2023, 01:19 PM
YSU is being outplayed but officiating has been horrible. Halftime should have been 13-7 SDSU.

Otherwise SDSU is LEGIT. Tough out come playoff time.

ytownchief22
November 11th, 2023, 01:27 PM
You fools actually thought YSU could stay in this game or even win???? Hahahahaha. Not with this small time weenie coaching staff. Keep those checks coming in from the local donors who hand picked a high school principal to be head coach tho! This program is going nowhere with these morons coaching.

The Yo Show
November 11th, 2023, 01:29 PM
This team won't make playoffs

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2023, 01:44 PM
SDSU TD 34-0

Im reminded that SDSU looks like the YSU teams of the 90s. Good talent, good coaching, good support. Shame what a 2bit AD did to this program.

ytownchief22
November 11th, 2023, 01:44 PM
Loser coaching staff. Not going anywhere.

The Yo Show
November 11th, 2023, 01:55 PM
Who imagined losing to SDSU worse than Ohio State?

SteelSD
November 11th, 2023, 04:48 PM
YSU is being outplayed but officiating has been horrible. Halftime should have been 13-7 SDSU.

Otherwise SDSU is LEGIT. Tough out come playoff time.
Penalty totals:

SDSU 12-119
YSU 4-25

So when you say officiating has been horrible are you indicating that they have been bad in general (which I would agree with) or that they somehow negatively impacted your team more than ours?

BeamMeUp
November 11th, 2023, 05:33 PM
SDSU looks absolutely dominating. If they clean up their penalty issues, they will be well on their way to winning back-to-back titles.

SteelSD
November 11th, 2023, 05:53 PM
YSU QB indicated they just lost 34-0 to a team that “isn’t anything special.” Might need to get him some sugar, them apples are sour.

From an SDSU side, could have done without the penguin dances. Just play ball.

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2023, 06:34 PM
YSU QB indicated they just lost 34-0 to a team that “isn’t anything special.” Might need to get him some sugar, them apples are sour.

My view is SDSU has to be the favorite to win the Natty. Great talent. YSU may have lost a game but it was a game to the MVFC champ. In the FCS world otherwise, YSU is still a load for most of FCS. But in the topsy turvy world of the MVFC, it’s dog eat dog. Most of the MVFC kicks the arse of most FCS. It’s tough losing when you know you have talent to stomp people with, but this league is a bear. Other than losing to Ohio St. we lost two 3 pt games to ranked MVFCteams and now SDSU.

Good luck in the playoffs.

ysubigred
November 11th, 2023, 08:01 PM
Loser coaching staff. Not going anywhere.Tressel himself could not coach this team's talent past SDSU. Hate to tell you all the Guins are still too small to hang with these guys' top 5 MVFC.

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2023, 09:01 PM
A look at the MVFC with one game remaining, I’m going to project my outlook for the conference in the playoffs-

SDSU
USD
NDSU
UND
YSU
if they win their last game.

All get in. There may be a case for another team but it would be hard to say who with other FCS games that may impact selections. JMHO.

penguinpower
November 12th, 2023, 04:23 PM

I agree. Winning with class is part of what elite programs do, not flashes in the pan.

They need to stop that when they play anyone. I will root against any team that loses their sportsmanship.