DFW HOYA
November 5th, 2023, 06:12 AM
Holy Cross (6-3, 4-1) at Army (3-6), 12:00 pm
Fordham (6-3, 2-2) at Lafayette (7-2, 3-1), 12:00 pm
Georgetown (4-5, 2-2) at Bucknell (3-6, 1-4), 1:00 pm
Lehigh (2-7, 1-3) at Colgate (4-5, 2-2), 1:00 pm

bonarae
November 5th, 2023, 06:19 AM
Holy Cross - last scalping chance and hurrah for the money games of FCS-FBS in 2023?
Lafayette - goodbye playoffs and bubble too for the loser. xbawlingx
Georgetown
Colgate

bonarae
November 5th, 2023, 06:22 AM
FYI for West Point: they just upset Air Force in the Broncos' stadium, 23-3. But scattered throughout their schedule are ugly Ls to UMass, BC, ULM.

I think Holy Cross may give the Black Knights a run for their money, but it may not be enough for a scalp.

NY Crusader 2010
November 5th, 2023, 06:45 AM
HC-Army tough to get a read on. IMO we have not shot without Sluka and Dobbs able to play. Without those two, I see it as a 41-14 type of game. With everyone healthy, I could see us hanging around. While Army's offensive numbers aren't as gaudy as they've been in recent years, they should be able to have their way with our relatively inexperienced D Line -- and if they're smart they'll work in some RPO / play action and try to catch us stacking the box and go for a couple big plays over the top.

If it were our team from last year, I'd be about 60-70% confident of a win tomorrow. But it's not. Only way for us to win is to control TOP (tough to do against a service academy!), make a couple key stops and eke out a 28-27 type of win. Our special teams is also a dumpster fire this year, typically a strength at Army. So there's also that. And on the other side of the coin, this is a team that two weeks ago lost to UMASS. By no means is this the West Point squad that ended up ranked that the 2018 Colgate team played tight with for 55 minutes.

crusader11
November 5th, 2023, 06:50 AM
Without Bryson Daily, Army loses to HC.

With him, they win by a score or two.

With him and without Sluka and Dobbs for HC, this is a 3+ score game.

MR. CHICKEN
November 5th, 2023, 06:54 AM
......DUH KNIGHTS........WILL WALK ON AIR...ALL WEEK.........YOUSE ARE DUH CLASSIC TRAP.....OLD AS........HARLOTS & WINE.........BRAWK!

NY Crusader 2010
November 5th, 2023, 07:23 AM
Army 34 Holy Cross 28
Fordham 35 Lafayette 31
Georgetown 26 Bucknell 23
Colgate 21 Lehigh 10

Subject to change! Most difficult week of picks yet. Army-HC score is assuming/guessing Sluka plays but not at 100%, and Dobbs out.

crusader11
November 5th, 2023, 07:53 AM
All hell breaks loose in the league if Fordham beats Lafayette.

Heading into the final week of the season, the league standings could look like:

HC 4-1
Lafayette 3-2
Fordham 3-2
Colgate 3-2 (should they beat Lehigh)
Georgetown 3-2 (should they beat Bucknell)

I’d have to look at how tiebreakers work, but seems like you could have five teams that have a shot at the PLC. Of course, HC would control their own destiny, but if Georgetown were to beat HC…

pardfan
November 5th, 2023, 09:51 AM
Army 30 HC21 Army too deep.
Colgate 22 Lehigh 20 Engineers peaking at just the right time. Ugh.
Bucknell 21 Georgetown 20 There are no slouches left in PL
Lafayette 27 Fordham 12 Simple. Mr. C plays, we win. He doesn't...

The Cats
November 5th, 2023, 12:19 PM
Holy Cross (6-3, 4-1) at Army (3-6), 12:00 pm
Fordham (6-3, 2-2) at Lafayette (7-2, 3-1), 12:00 pm
Georgetown (4-5, 2-2) at Bucknell (3-6, 1-4), 1:00 pm
Lehigh (2-7, 1-3) at Colgate (4-5, 2-2), 1:00 pm

Ivytalk
November 5th, 2023, 02:49 PM
Army
Fordham
Bucknell
Colgate

Wolffan
November 5th, 2023, 03:40 PM
Army: Will have little trouble winning on Veterans Day up at West Point. Does nothing for HC and the auto-bid battle (Chesney will play it appropriately).
Fordham: Plays the spoiler
Bucknell
Colgate at hme

Pard4Life
November 5th, 2023, 04:41 PM
Massey ratings giving Lafayette 46% chance to beat Fordham.

caribbeanhen
November 5th, 2023, 05:51 PM
Massey ratings giving Lafayette 46% chance to beat Fordham.

anyone know how to extract Masseys record on game predictions?

crusader11
November 5th, 2023, 05:54 PM
Army: Will have little trouble winning on Veterans Day up at West Point. Does nothing for HC and the auto-bid battle (Chesney will play it appropriately).
Bucknell
Colgate at hme

Assuming Sluka and Dobbs are questionable but are healthy enough to play against Army, imagine looking your team in the eye and saying: “we are holding Sluka and Dobbs back this weekend on Veterans Day at Army because we hope that makes them healthier for Georgetown, and we also hope that Fordham or Lehigh beats Lafayette.”

If this is the way to play it, let’s just pack things up now. I fully expect that if Sluka and Dobbs are medically cleared, they will play.

Pard4Life
November 5th, 2023, 07:23 PM
Agree - as an opponent, you go into West Point fired up to play. It is one of the marquee venues of the sport and nation.

bonarae
November 5th, 2023, 08:21 PM
Assuming Sluka and Dobbs are questionable but are healthy enough to play against Army, imagine looking your team in the eye and saying: “we are holding Sluka and Dobbs back this weekend on Veterans Day at Army because we hope that makes them healthier for Georgetown, and we also hope that Fordham or Lehigh beats Lafayette.”

If this is the way to play it, let’s just pack things up now. I fully expect that if Sluka and Dobbs are medically cleared, they will play.

That's the reason why some conferences (I think there are one or two in our subdivision) are calling for NFL-style injury reports to be implemented as well at the college level.

NY Crusader 2010
November 5th, 2023, 09:00 PM
Bucknell
Colgate at hme

Auto-bid aside -- have you heard that we're also competing for the chance at an at-large playoff appearance? We LIKELY control our own destiny when it comes to an at-large playoff berth. We do NOT currently control our own destiny when it comes to the Patriot League auto-bid.

ngineer
November 5th, 2023, 10:19 PM
Auto-bid aside -- have you heard that we're also competing for the chance at an at-large playoff appearance? We LIKELY control our own destiny when it comes to an at-large playoff berth. We do NOT currently control our own destiny when it comes to the Patriot League auto-bid.

I agree. With Dobbs and Sluka 'saders have something better than just a puncher's chance. And even if they lose to Army, if it is close, like BC, then one would think that the "committee" would give strong consideration to such FBS losses. It shows how strong your competition has been, as well as how strong your team is.

"Meanwhile.." My picks:
Army 38-35. After the big win over Air Force, one would expect a bit of a letdown with an FCS opponent...However, Cross is well known to Army so it's not just "any" FCS school. Enough to keep their attention.

Fordham in a barn-burner, dashing Laughyette's "loft"y thoughts. The number of miscues last week by the 'pards was surprising and could create a psychological. With their nice season turnaround, 'pards have been in a number of close games where one or two turnovers can make then difference. Might be squeezing the ball too tight. Rams win 45-38.

Hoyas at Bucknell a real toughie..as most PL games this year. It's been a while since I can remember when each week's games were all competitive. Hoyas want to finish strong and a win makes it possible to have a winning season. Bison have been liveliest that I can recall in 20 years. Their new QB transfer seems have provided the "O" that has long been missing in Lewisburg for so long. Georgetown "D" has shown well at times this year. Going out on a limb with the Hoyas...29-27.

Lehigh on the 'tundra" Saturday in Hamilton. Weather will be dry, but quite "cool" with a "high" of 42F forecast. Lehigh has shown signs of new life the past few weeks, but is still making too many self-inflicted wounds with damaging penalties negating big offensive plays. Offense needs to become more consistent so as to let the defense rest a bit with sustained drives. Undersized and thin on the lines, the key for a Lehigh win is their ability to execute at a high level in the 4th quarter. 'gate has turned its season around after a stumbling start, and Lehigh is feeling upbeat about its progress, despite the lack of wins. Still looking for a "complete" game when both the O and the D play their best at the same time, I sense the Mountain Hawks will step up with another building block and pull off the long awaited upset to set the springboard for #159. Lehigh 27-24.

Go...gate
November 6th, 2023, 12:30 AM
6-6 gets Army the Commander in Chief's Trophy and makes them Bowl-eligible.

Ramblin' Man
November 6th, 2023, 02:46 AM
Army 30 HC21 Army too deep.
Colgate 22 Lehigh 20 Engineers peaking at just the right time. Ugh.
Bucknell 21 Georgetown 20 There are no slouches left in PL
Lafayette 27 Fordham 12 Simple. Mr. C plays, we win. He doesn't...

You think Fordham only puts up 12 points? Are you kidding? I'll put up my house and take the over!

Wolffan
November 6th, 2023, 03:32 AM

Sluka was ‘medically cleared’ to play v Lafayette. Participated in 1 play.

Sluka was ‘medically cleared’ to play versus Fordham. Participated in 2 plays.

He’ll be “medically cleared” to play versus Army…

There are nuances in this. Chesney knows what he is doing and knows the program goal.(No reason he or any coach would make that sort of speech.)

Wolffan
November 6th, 2023, 04:29 AM
6-6 gets Army the Commander in Chief's Trophy and makes them Bowl-eligible.

Only one FCS game counts towards bowl eligibility. So, sweeping their last 3 gets them to 6-6 BUT 5-6 for bowl eligibility purposes.

NY Crusader 2010
November 6th, 2023, 04:53 AM
Only one FCS game counts towards bowl eligibility. So, sweeping their last 3 gets them to 6-6 BUT 5-6 for bowl eligibility purposes.

True. Army also finished 6-6 last year but stayed home during bowl seasons due to having 2 FCS wins. If they win out, there's a small chance they could luck out. Every 4 or 5 years, we end up with a situation where there are more bowl slots than bowl eligible teams, especially if multiple teams decline bowl invitations. 5-7 teams have been invited in these circumstances -- one would think that a 6-6 service academy with 2 FCS wins would be first in line if this happened again.

NY Crusader 2010
November 6th, 2023, 05:02 AM
Sluka was ‘medically cleared’ to play v Lafayette. Participated in 1 play.

Sluka was ‘medically cleared’ to play versus Fordham. Participated in 2 plays.

He’ll be “medically cleared” to play versus Army…

There are nuances in this. Chesney knows what he is doing and knows the program goal.(No reason he or any coach would make that sort of speech.)

Chesney I believe is balancing out giving HC the best chance to win versus also doing what's best for the player. Sluka's football future has another chapter after the Holy Cross 2023 season. All we can hope for is that he's improving and will be a comfortable "go" on Saturday at 12pm. Penansky is a good QB but I don't think we'll have the offensive arsenal to beat Army without Sluka on the field, especially since our defense will need all the help we can give them.

Again, emphasis this is a must-win game, a de facto playoff game. Bob Chesney also isn't going to take control out our team's hands and have our stars "rest up" for Georgetown, and just pray to the late Father K for a Lafayette loss. But if they can't go, they can't go. And in that case, Chesney will have the best possible game plan with the personnel we do have. Just like he did the last two weeks when we're 2-0 without Sluka, including a road win against a team still competing for an NCAA bid.

Pards Rule
November 6th, 2023, 06:17 AM
HC-Army tough to get a read on. IMO we have not shot without Sluka and Dobbs able to play. Without those two, I see it as a 41-14 type of game. With everyone healthy, I could see us hanging around. While Army's offensive numbers aren't as gaudy as they've been in recent years, they should be able to have their way with our relatively inexperienced D Line -- and if they're smart they'll work in some RPO / play action and try to catch us stacking the box and go for a couple big plays over the top.

If it were our team from last year, I'd be about 60-70% confident of a win tomorrow. But it's not. Only way for us to win is to control TOP (tough to do against a service academy!), make a couple key stops and eke out a 28-27 type of win. Our special teams is also a dumpster fire this year, typically a strength at Army. So there's also that. And on the other side of the coin, this is a team that two weeks ago lost to UMASS. By no means is this the West Point squad that ended up ranked that the 2018 Colgate team played tight with for 55 minutes.

John Loose, Asst Army HC, was a longtime Leopard DC under Tavani

- - - Updated - - -

John Loose, Asst Army HC, was a longtime Leopard DC under Tavani

Pards Rule
November 6th, 2023, 06:22 AM
True. Army also finished 6-6 last year but stayed home during bowl seasons due to having 2 FCS wins. If they win out, there's a small chance they could luck out. Every 4 or 5 years, we end up with a situation where there are more bowl slots than bowl eligible teams, especially if multiple teams decline bowl invitations. 5-7 teams have been invited in these circumstances -- one would think that a 6-6 service academy with 2 FCS wins would be first in line if this happened again.

Yes...who is slotted for Pinstripe Bowl?

NY Crusader 2010
November 6th, 2023, 07:15 AM
Yes...who is slotted for Pinstripe Bowl?

BiG v. ACC, unless it changed for this year.

Franks Tanks
November 6th, 2023, 07:53 AM
You think Fordham only puts up 12 points? Are you kidding? I'll put up my house and take the over!

Hell no! Respectfully, Pard fan must not have seen our pass defense in the 2nd half vs. Colgate.

BNiche
November 6th, 2023, 07:56 AM
All hell breaks loose in the league if Fordham beats Lafayette.

I may be biased, but I am all in on ultimate chaos.

According to the PL site:

Football Tiebreaker Information
a. If a tie exists, the higher seed will go to the team that won the most head-to-head League contest(s) played against the other team(s) involved in the tie.

b. If a tie still exists, a comparison of League records will be made between the tied institutions starting at the highest seed and continuing through the lowest seed, if necessary.

c. If a tie still exists, a comparison of records against common out-of-league opponents will be made.

d. If a tie still exists, a committee consisting of the athletics directors of each of the institutions not involved in the tie will make a final decision. The committee should consider various factors including, but not limited to, the following examples. Note: the examples are listed in no particular order:
1. strength of schedule
2. overall record
3. computer rankings
4. performance during second half of season The committee will meet immediately following the conclusion of the final game of the season’s final weekend. A majority vote of the members of the committee will be needed to determine the champion.

This does remind me of a couple of years, that last option was used to choose Fordham over... I don't remember who. Anyone remember this or did I have a fever dream?

MR. CHICKEN
November 6th, 2023, 08:04 AM
Holy Cross - last scalping chance and hurrah for the money games of FCS-FBS in 2023?
Lafayette - goodbye playoffs and bubble too for the loser. xbawlingx
Georgetown
Colgate

11/18/23

ABILENE CHRISTIAN vs TEXAS A&M
CHATTANOOGA vs ALABAMA
N. ALABAMA vs FLORIDA STATE

NY Crusader 2010
November 6th, 2023, 09:01 AM
I may be biased, but I am all in on ultimate chaos.

According to the PL site:

Football Tiebreaker Information
a. If a tie exists, the higher seed will go to the team that won the most head-to-head League contest(s) played against the other team(s) involved in the tie.

b. If a tie still exists, a comparison of League records will be made between the tied institutions starting at the highest seed and continuing through the lowest seed, if necessary.

c. If a tie still exists, a comparison of records against common out-of-league opponents will be made.

d. If a tie still exists, a committee consisting of the athletics directors of each of the institutions not involved in the tie will make a final decision. The committee should consider various factors including, but not limited to, the following examples. Note: the examples are listed in no particular order:
1. strength of schedule
2. overall record
3. computer rankings
4. performance during second half of season The committee will meet immediately following the conclusion of the final game of the season’s final weekend. A majority vote of the members of the committee will be needed to determine the champion.

This does remind me of a couple of years, that last option was used to choose Fordham over... I don't remember who. Anyone remember this or did I have a fever dream?

Fever dream. I don't think we've ever had anything more than a straightforward head-to-head tie-breaker at least as long as I've followed PL football. Given the small # of league games, you'd actually think 3-way ties and the like would happen more often than they do. But I'm sure there was some kind of early November "what if" discussion on a message board that brought it up as a hypothetical.

You may be thinking of 2013 when Fordham was ineligible for the auto-bid because of their brief deviation from league guidelines on scholarships. That year, a very mediocre Lafayette team won the auto-bid with a 5-6 overall record (4-1 in the PL). That year, Lafayette also beat Fordham in a game that didn't count in the league standings. Fordham made the playoffs as an at-large. A lot of people were incorrectly complaining that the bad PL "stole" a bid that year over the Fordham scholarship issue. However, since Lafayette beat Fordham that year, they would've won the auto anyway, even if Fordham HAD been eligible for the auto-bid. Both would've been 5-1 in the league with Lafayette winning the auto and Fordham still getting an at-large.

BNiche
November 6th, 2023, 09:26 AM
You may be thinking of 2013 when Fordham was ineligible for the auto-bid because of their brief deviation from league guidelines on scholarships. That year, a very mediocre Lafayette team won the auto-bid with a 5-6 overall record (4-1 in the PL). That year, Lafayette also beat Fordham in a game that didn't count in the league standings. Fordham made the playoffs as an at-large. A lot of people were incorrectly complaining that the bad PL "stole" a bid that year over the Fordham scholarship issue. However, since Lafayette beat Fordham that year, they would've won the auto anyway, even if Fordham HAD been eligible for the auto-bid. Both would've been 5-1 in the league with Lafayette winning the auto and Fordham still getting an at-large.

That's exactly what it was, thank you!

NY Crusader 2010
November 6th, 2023, 10:20 AM
That's exactly what it was, thank you!

Yep. What's crazy is that if Lafayette had lost to Fordham that year, they would've won the auto-bid with a 4-7 overall record. Then folks outside of Patriot League circles REALLY would've had the right to complain. And IIRC, the only reason they beat you guys was because QB Niebrich was out that week with an injury.

leopardball2010
November 6th, 2023, 10:57 AM
Fever dream. I don't think we've ever had anything more than a straightforward head-to-head tie-breaker at least as long as I've followed PL football. Given the small # of league games, you'd actually think 3-way ties and the like would happen more often than they do. But I'm sure there was some kind of early November "what if" discussion on a message board that brought it up as a hypothetical.

You may be thinking of 2013 when Fordham was ineligible for the auto-bid because of their brief deviation from league guidelines on scholarships. That year, a very mediocre Lafayette team won the auto-bid with a 5-6 overall record (4-1 in the PL). That year, Lafayette also beat Fordham in a game that didn't count in the league standings. Fordham made the playoffs as an at-large. A lot of people were incorrectly complaining that the bad PL "stole" a bid that year over the Fordham scholarship issue. However, since Lafayette beat Fordham that year, they would've won the auto anyway, even if Fordham HAD been eligible for the auto-bid. Both would've been 5-1 in the league with Lafayette winning the auto and Fordham still getting an at-large.And then we had to go to UNH [emoji51]

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Pards Rule
November 6th, 2023, 12:13 PM
And then we had to go to UNH [emoji51]

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

And I was there...at least it was sunny, no wind and a high of 30! All true! And I met UNH Alum in CT for first time! Hey Jim! Encore 10 years later...and better yet restart the Lafayette at UNH thread!

NY Crusader 2010
November 6th, 2023, 12:29 PM
And I was there...at least it was sunny, no wind and a high of 30! All true! And I met UNH Alum in CT for first time! Hey Jim! Encore 10 years later...and better yet restart the Lafayette at UNH thread!

I was actually at the Fordham-Sacred Heart game that afternoon/evening. Game was a lot closer than most of us thought....even though it came just a year after an NEC team knocked off a PL team in a playoff game.

pardfan
November 6th, 2023, 05:45 PM
Ramblin Man and Franks Tanks, I have only seen one LC game on tv this year. Princeton. (The rest I have experienced on the computer. Frankly, don't like watching my heroes lose.) I just thought, judging from that defensive effort v. the Tigers, our defense might come back from the dead and shut Fordham down. Not a sports gambler. (Chicago trading pits since the 80's, though. Runner in '75. Now all computer.)
Why the Princeton interest? Although my dad was a Brown grad/naval officer, our neighbor was a Princeton grad/naval officer. Not just any Princeton grad. Last Ivy Heisman winner, Dick Kazmaier '51. Mr. Kazmaier used to ref some of our youth games when he had the time. Three or four daughters, no sons.

NY Crusader 2010
November 6th, 2023, 05:50 PM
Ramblin Man and Franks Tanks, I have only seen one LC game on tv this year. Princeton. (The rest I have experienced on the computer. Frankly, don't like watching my heroes lose.) I just thought, judging from that defensive effort v. the Tigers, our defense might come back from the dead and shut Fordham down. Not a sports gambler. (Chicago trading pits since the 80's, though. Now all computer.)

Fordham's significantly better than Princeton though. I do agree that if Lafayette D comes to play, they should slow the Rams down enough to win. You guys should put up 35+ against their defense, no sweat. Holding them to 12 points would be beyond a Herculean effort however.

Go...gate
November 6th, 2023, 06:02 PM
I was actually at the Fordham-Sacred Heart game that afternoon/evening. Game was a lot closer than most of us thought....even though it came just a year after an NEC team knocked off a PL team in a playoff game.

Wagner over Colgate.

Franks Tanks
November 6th, 2023, 07:19 PM
Ramblin Man and Franks Tanks, I have only seen one LC game on tv this year. Princeton. (The rest I have experienced on the computer. Frankly, don't like watching my heroes lose.) I just thought, judging from that defensive effort v. the Tigers, our defense might come back from the dead and shut Fordham down. Not a sports gambler. (Chicago trading pits since the 80's, though. Runner in '75. Now all computer.)
Why the Princeton interest? Although my dad was a Brown grad/naval officer, our neighbor was a Princeton grad/naval officer. Not just any Princeton grad. Last Ivy Heisman winner, Dick Kazmaier '51. Mr. Kazmaier used to ref some of our youth games when he had the time. Three or four daughters, no sons.

Great story!

Pard4Life
November 7th, 2023, 07:58 PM
Over under 1.5 Fordham punts on Saturday? Pards cannot stop frozen maple syrup!!

Franks Tanks
November 8th, 2023, 12:14 PM
Little fact, Lafayette currently sits at 698 wins. Can we, could we hit 700 in 2 weeks while clinching our 1st league title in 10 years? 94 to 04 had been our longest PL title drought.

Probably not, but still dreaming and hoping.

pardfan
November 8th, 2023, 01:26 PM
Despite LC's smaller undergrad enrollment relative to the other PL schools...reached finals last year in MBB, playoffs in baseball, championship game recently in field hockey, are set for Saturday's final in men's soccer, and are near the top of the league (at the moment) in football. Sports have been on a major upswing. (Correction from earlier: Mr. Kazmaier had six daughters.)

Bill
November 8th, 2023, 08:42 PM
Despite LC's smaller undergrad enrollment relative to the other PL schools...reached finals last year in MBB, playoffs in baseball, championship game recently in field hockey, are set for Saturday's final in men's soccer, and are near the top of the league (at the moment) in football. Sports have been on a major upswing. (Correction from earlier: Mr. Kazmaier had six daughters.)
Pardfan,

Not trying to troll here, but are you suggesting there is any correlation between school size and athletic success?

Pard4Life
November 8th, 2023, 09:31 PM
Pardfan,

Not trying to troll here, but are you suggesting there is any correlation between school size and athletic success?

I mean, look at Rutgers.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 8th, 2023, 11:07 PM
Pardfan,

I think a reasonable argument can be made that of the 10 largest institutions in the USA, three, maybe four, leverage their resources for success that parallels their perceived institutional "power".
1. Texas A&M - starting to become a laughing stock, what are they truly good at? College Station is blah...
2. Central Florida - Lots of peaks and valleys in football, what are they truly good in?
3. Rutgers - Generally the butt of jokes in the Northeast
4. University of Florida - Baseball or gymnastics now their best sport? football and hoops have really slipped the last 10-15 years
5. The Ohio State - legitimately well rounded including a great golf facility!
6. Arizona State - always noted as perennial underachiever
7. University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana - No clue what they excel in these days?
8. Florida International - a commuter school with little care for athletics
9. University of Minnesota - hockey and wrestling school
10. University of Texas - football has been elite for 5-8 years over the course of the last 50 years, baseball has slipped, women's hoops has slipped, men's bball is solid, track and field and golf their bread and butter?

Relative to some of these schools, I think the truly small institutions like Holy Cross, Colgate, Lafayette, Furman and Wofford have fared pretty well in D1. Furman's enrollment (2,344 in Fall 2022) shocked me! I honestly thought it was closer to Lehigh's undergrad figure.

DFW HOYA
November 9th, 2023, 07:54 AM
1. Texas A&M - starting to become a laughing stock, what are they truly good at? College Station is blah...

Texas A&M has an athletic budget of $157 million ($46 million for football) which allows them to be compettitve in a lot of sports, even if 98% of former students just care about football.

TAMU finished 24th in the Learfield Cup nationally, with post-season appearances in the following:

Baseball: 38-27, NCAA 2nd Round
Men's Basketball: 25-10 (15-3 SEC), 1st Round NCAA
Men's Golf: 14th at NCAA championships
Men's Tennis: 19-12, 2nd Round NCAA
Men's Swimming: 14th at NCAA championships
Men's Indoor Track: 32nd at NCAA meet
Men's Outdoor Track: 22nd at NCAA meet
Women's Equestrian: NCAA quarterfinals
Women's Golf: NCAA semifinals
Women's Soccer, 9-7-5, 1st Round NCAA
Softball: 35-21, 2nd round NCAA
Women's Tennis 30-3, NCAA quarterfinals
Women's Indoor Track: 14th at NCAA meet
Women's Outdoor Track: 5th at NCAA meet

pardfan
November 9th, 2023, 08:11 AM
All good points by previous posters. I guess I have been using the enrollment differences as an excuse for our struggles these many years. Lafayette against PL foes Army or Navy (or a couple of others) will no longer be Rey Mysterio against Big Bronson Reed in my eyes.

ngineer
November 9th, 2023, 12:04 PM
I think a reasonable argument can be made that of the 10 largest institutions in the USA, three, maybe four, leverage their resources for success that parallels their perceived institutional "power".
2. Central Florida - Lots of peaks and valleys in football, what are they truly good in?
3. Rutgers - Generally the butt of jokes in the Northeast
4. University of Florida - Baseball or gymnastics now their best sport? football and hoops have really slipped the last 10-15 years
5. The Ohio State - legitimately well rounded including a great golf facility!
6. Arizona State - always noted as perennial underachiever
7. University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana - No clue what they excel in these days?
8. Florida International - a commuter school with little care for athletics
9. University of Minnesota - hockey and wrestling school
10. University of Texas - football has been elite for 5-8 years over the course of the last 50 years, baseball has slipped, women's hoops has slipped, men's bball is solid, track and field and golf their bread and butter?

Relative to some of these schools, I think the truly small institutions like Holy Cross, Colgate, Lafayette, Furman and Wofford have fared pretty well in D1. Furman's enrollment (2,344 in Fall 2022) shocked me! I honestly thought it was closer to Lehigh's undergrad figure.

Is that 'enrollment' include online attendance and 'satellite' campuses? Some schools are huge in numbers, but greatly inflated by including tens of thousands spread out over small 'local' classes, like Penn State. I had heard Michigan State was the largest residential single campus, though that was a few years ago. I really don't think enrollment means much. It's not like facing an opposing army on the battlefield. "It's all about the Benjamins" being plowed into an athletic program along with being able to hire quality coaches/support staff---and being able to keep them!

Franks Tanks
November 9th, 2023, 07:20 PM
Is that 'enrollment' include online attendance and 'satellite' campuses? Some schools are huge in numbers, but greatly inflated by including tens of thousands spread out over small 'local' classes, like Penn State. I had heard Michigan State was the largest residential single campus, though that was a few years ago. I really don't think enrollment means much. It's not like facing an opposing army on the battlefield. "It's all about the Benjamins" being plowed into an athletic program along with being able to hire quality coaches/support staff---and being able to keep them!
Owls list is largest single campus enrollment. A&M has 75k students in College Station!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2023, 07:33 PM
Owls list is largest single campus enrollment. A&M has 75k students in College Station!

Indeed!

I do believe Fordham has some inherent advantages in football given the combination of their size and academic metrics. I'm not going to begin to quantify such "leverage" in specific terms but it's my belief it exists.

A big reason for my theory is the fact they've emerged as the most consistent program in the PL the last 20 years in large part to the ability to attract football players that align with their broader mission. Clawson built it up then the administration made sure football would never be "bad" beyond your typical "law of averages" ebbs and flows all private, academic-centric programs face. And when things appear they're headed in the wrong direction the coach is told to "explore other options".

Fordham now has over 16k students! What was the figure in 2000? Just for reference, in 2003 Fordham received 8,900 undergrad applications while in 2022 they received 47,936!

Pard4Life
November 9th, 2023, 07:36 PM
Boston University is also one of the largest undergraduate student bodies. Yet, they are in the PL and axed football.

The Boogie Down
November 10th, 2023, 12:47 AM
Indeed!

I do believe Fordham has some inherent advantages in football given the combination of their size and academic metrics. I'm not going to begin to quantify such "leverage" in specific terms but it's my belief it exists.

A big reason for my theory is the fact they've emerged as the most consistent program in the PL the last 20 years in large part to the ability to attract football players that align with their broader mission. Clawson built it up then the administration made sure football would never be "bad" beyond your typical "law of averages" ebbs and flows all private, academic-centric programs face. And when things appear they're headed in the wrong direction the coach is told to "explore other options".

Fordham now has over 16k students! What was the figure in 2000? Just for reference, in 2003 Fordham received 8,900 undergrad applications while in 2022 they received 47,936!

Thanks for the nice words and yes, football has come along way since Clawson's arrival.

However, when it cones to the student body Fordham only has about 10,000 undergrads. Rose Hill, the 85 acre green campus in The Bronx, is home to 7,0000 undergrads. Lincoln Center, the 8 acre urban campus smack in the middle of Manhattan, is home to 3,000 undergrads. It really is like two very different schools. The locations, culture and appearances are night and day. Rose Hill features 100 year old gray stone gothic buildings while Lincoln Center features 10-25 year old glass high rises.

Way back in the day I was a Rose Hill student. I also took several courses at Lincoln Center but that was mostly out of curiosity. Few others did the same. I never made any Lincoln Center friends and I'm guessing the same was true for most Rose Hill students. It worked vice-versa as well. This was back in the '90s so things may have changed greatly since but I kinda doubt it. With ALL athletic teams up in Rose Hill, it feels as if Lincoln Center has no sport to rally around. They don't seem to mind. I doubt Lincoln Center's 3,000 or so grad students mind either.

Long post shorter, when it comes to sports Fordham = Rose Hill. And when it comes to Rose Hill, we're talking about 7,000 undergrads (less than half actually live on campus) and 10,000 total. Sooo, not as big as the numbers may indicate.

Oh and I do remember the Rose Hill undergrad population being 6,000 when I was there. Lincoln Center's undergrad population has probably doubled over the same time period but overall the student body numbers aren't that much greater today. (No idea on undergrad applications).

IslandPard
November 10th, 2023, 06:43 AM
Fordham's significantly better than Princeton though. I do agree that if Lafayette D comes to play, they should slow the Rams down enough to win. You guys should put up 35+ against their defense, no sweat. Holding them to 12 points would be beyond a Herculean effort however.

Army
Fordham - I hate to be a negative Nelly. But as I've said many times in these threads, it all comes down to who finishes the season the healthiest. And we're hanging on by a hair. Curtis and his backups are out so we are left with frosh RBs, Oline is banged up, Olivas played but is clearly injured and only had one tackle. And NOW our best corner is out the exact week we need him most. I believe this could get ugly.
Bucknell - maybe they found something?
Lehigh - Pains me to say it...but peaking at the right time?

DFW HOYA
November 10th, 2023, 08:49 AM
I do believe Fordham has some inherent advantages in football given the combination of their size and academic metrics. I'm not going to begin to quantify such "leverage" in specific terms but it's my belief it exists. A big reason for my theory is the fact they've emerged as the most consistent program in the PL the last 20 years in large part to the ability to attract football players that align with their broader mission.

I am curious as to what the broader mission of Fordham University is that aligns with football, or is it simply that Fordham is successful because it simply outspends everyone else?

Conversely, Georgetown should have some inherent advantages in football given the combination of their size and academic metrics and does not. Or is this a combination of a mirror image of Fordham: Georgetown significantly overspends in men's basketball and wonders why it's not better, while it fails to invest in football and people dismiss it, saying "we've always done it this way"... while Fordham significantly overspends in football and wonders why it's not better, while it fails to invest in men's basketball and people dismiss it, saying "we've always done it this way"?

Leopard Loyalist
November 10th, 2023, 12:40 PM
Army tops Holy Cross
Fordham over Lafayette as we finally succumb to the injury bug
Georgetown edges Bucknell
Colgate builds on last week's success by beating Lehigh

Go...gate
November 10th, 2023, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the nice words and yes, football has come along way since Clawson's arrival.

However, when it cones to the student body Fordham only has about 10,000 undergrads. Rose Hill, the 85 acre green campus in The Bronx, is home to 7,0000 undergrads. Lincoln Center, the 8 acre urban campus smack in the middle of Manhattan, is home to 3,000 undergrads. It really is like two very different schools. The locations, culture and appearances are night and day. Rose Hill features 100 year old gray stone gothic buildings while Lincoln Center features 10-25 year old glass high rises.

Way back in the day I was a Rose Hill student. I also took several courses at Lincoln Center but that was mostly out of curiosity. Few others did the same. I never made any Lincoln Center friends and I'm guessing the same was true for most Rose Hill students. It worked vice-versa as well. This was back in the '90s so things may have changed greatly since but I kinda doubt it. With ALL athletic teams up in Rose Hill, it feels as if Lincoln Center has no sport to rally around. They don't seem to mind. I doubt Lincoln Center's 3,000 or so grad students mind either.

Long post shorter, when it comes to sports Fordham = Rose Hill. And when it comes to Rose Hill, we're talking about 7,000 undergrads (less than half actually live on campus) and 10,000 total. Sooo, not as big as the numbers may indicate.

Oh and I do remember the Rose Hill undergrad population being 6,000 when I was there. Lincoln Center's undergrad population has probably doubled over the same time period but overall the student body numbers aren't that much greater today. (No idea on undergrad applications).

Isn't the former Marymount College in Tarrytown also a Fordham campus?

Wolffan
November 10th, 2023, 01:57 PM
All good points by previous posters. I guess I have been using the enrollment differences as an excuse for our struggles these many years. Lafayette against PL foes Army or Navy (or a couple of others) will no longer be Rey Mysterio against Big Bronson Reed in my eyes.

Since students are recuited to PL schools especially for the purposes of playing PL football I'm not sure the size of the school is at all related to PL football success.
[One relatively large school in DC comes immediately comes to mind...]

I'm not sure the Aacademic Index is favorable for Fordham recruiting relative to the average PL school. (I'm also not sure what the heck is going on with the academic index since standardized tests seem to be a vanishing industry, class ranks have gone bye-bye, and high school GPAs are wildly (and unevenly) inflated.

Fordham's been recruiting fairly well the past twenty years and have generally been in the top 3 in the PL the last 20 years. And Georgetown's has had its difficulties recruiting so they've been around the bottom.

(Georgetown has a triple whammy hurting their football recruiting given their lack of football schollies, football facilities [couldn't think of the right adjective], and football academic hurdles. And it is a riveting parlor game to determine what hurts them the most in recruiting.)

Go...gate
November 10th, 2023, 06:58 PM
Army 20, Holy Cross 17

Lafayette 24, Fordham 21

Georgetown 22, Bucknell 16

Colgate 27, Lehigh 23

Bonus pick: Yale 28, Princeton 25

The Boogie Down
November 10th, 2023, 10:48 PM
Fordham - I hate to be a negative Nelly. But as I've said many times in these threads, it all comes down to who finishes the season the healthiest. And we're hanging on by a hair. Curtis and his backups are out so we are left with frosh RBs, Oline is banged up, Olivas played but is clearly injured and only had one tackle. And NOW our best corner is out the exact week we need him most. I believe this could get ugly.
Hope you're right xpeacex

I am curious as to what the broader mission of Fordham University is that aligns with football, or is it simply that Fordham is successful because it simply outspends everyone else?

Conversely, Georgetown should have some inherent advantages in football given the combination of their size and academic metrics and does not. Or is this a combination of a mirror image of Fordham: Georgetown significantly overspends in men's basketball and wonders why it's not better, while it fails to invest in football and people dismiss it, saying "we've always done it this way"... while Fordham significantly overspends in football and wonders why it's not better, while it fails to invest in men's basketball and people dismiss it, saying "we've always done it this way"?
Last season there was a thread that turned into a what's worse, "Georgetown pigskin or Fordham hoops?" debate. I had no answer for that one xdontknowx

Turning to each school's stronger sport however, I can say that for all the money spent, Fordham pigskin and G-town hoops both still rely on strong coaching. Fordham got to the I-AA QF's with Dave Clawson and beat Temple & Army w/Joe Moorhead. With lesser coaches the results have been significantly lesser. Everyone knows what John Thompson did. Everyone also knows what the many lesser coaches haven't done.

Fordham over Lafayette as we finally succumb to the injury bug

Hope you're right too xpeacexxpeacex

Isn't the former Marymount College in Tarrytown also a Fordham campus?
Marymount was a women's college that had been aligned to Fordham for socials back when the latter wasn't letting female undergrads into Rose Hill. That changed in the late '60s and afterwards Marymount had kinda lost its raison d'etre. By the early '00s the Westchester school was on the verge of bankruptcy when Fordham stepped in to buy it. I don't know how much effort Fordham made to build it back up but by 2008 they sold it off in what seemed like a land flip. Either way, all Marymount grads, like Susan Lucci, are now considered part of the Fordham family. Or "Ramily" as we like to say.

(Georgetown has a triple whammy hurting their football recruiting given their lack of football schollies, football facilities [couldn't think of the right adjective], and football academic hurdles. And it is a riveting parlor game to determine what hurts them the most in recruiting.)
FTW.

If Georgetown ever straightens itself out however, watch out!

Lafayette 24, Fordham 21

Hope you're sooo wrong we end up playing yous Upstate with a league 'chip still on the line xpeacexxpeacexxpeacex

bonarae
November 10th, 2023, 11:55 PM
Boston University is also one of the largest undergraduate student bodies. Yet, they are in the PL and axed football.

Hmm, are their plans Hofstra/Wichita State/Pacific Tigers-like? Or do they have like a Campbell/Mercer/ETSU-like plan somewhere? xchinscratchx

Both Sewanee and UChicago came into my mind while I was composing this... they dropped football before CFB became very popular. But they reinstated it too little too late... I think both have zero Road to D-III championship (fka Road to Salem) trips so far. (UChicago is middle of the pack in the MWC, while Sewanee, Maroons' former conference-mate in football as well, can't seem to get past .500.)

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2023, 11:57 PM
Army 42 Holy Cross 30
Lafayette 38 Fordham 31
Georgetown 27 Bucknell 24
Colgate 20 Lehigh 17

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 11:22 AM
Army 7 Holy Cross 0 6:47 1Q

Sluka just fumbled...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 11:39 AM
I almost think HC's offense is better, or would be better, with the other QB. Time will tell, but I don't think you can beat good teams with a QB that is nothing more than a glorified running back.

- - - Updated - - -

I almost think HC's offense is better, or would be better, with the other QB. Time will tell, but I don't think you can beat good teams with a QB that is nothing more than a glorified running back.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 11:44 AM
Is anyone else having trouble with AGS? It's taking forever to load the last 2-3 days...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 11:49 AM
TD Army!

Black Knights 14 Holy Cross 0 11:14 2Q

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 11:59 AM
Lafayette/Fordham pretty boring so far. No score late 1st

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 12:03 PM
Sluka with an INT. He can't throw a lick....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 12:17 PM
Big sequence in the Army-HC game...

Looked like Army had a 71 yard TD pass but the receiver stepped out at 1, then a holding call on 1st down pushed Army back to the 11, ultimately HC holds on 4th and goal from the 1....

- - - Updated - - -

TD 'Pards!

Lafayette 7-3 11:31 2Q

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 12:20 PM
LU 2 possessions 2 punts. Gate now moving ball close to midfield

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 12:23 PM
Once again LU D Backs look awful. Gate receivers wide open. Coverage very lose

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Gate drives 90+ yards, gets 3

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Colgate settles for a short FG

'Gate 3 Lehigh 0 3:14 1Q

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2023, 12:33 PM
Georgetown 16
Bucknell 0
4:02 1st

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 12:41 PM
Hunt’s play calling is horrible. 1st and goal at 4 and he decides to throw into coverage. Run the damn ball!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 12:42 PM
Hunt’s play calling is horrible. 1st and goal at 4 and he decides to throw into coverage. Run the damn ball!!!

I couldn't believe that play call either!

'Gate stops Lehigh on 4th down. This is why Lehigh is 2-7. They still can't do the little things needed to win. Inexcusable in game 9...

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 12:43 PM
Came up empty! So baddddddd

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 12:50 PM
This team is a mess. No fight at all.

- - - Updated - - -

They deserve to get their asses kicked this week and next.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 12:55 PM
This team is a mess. No fight at all.

- - - Updated - - -

They deserve to get their asses kicked this week and next.

Those HC fans holding out hope Lehigh will beat Lafayette next week are crazy. This team continues to do so many things wrong DESPITE having talent. If they were getting blown out because of a vast physical chasm it would one thing. However, it's the attention to detail that is still lacking. They don't execute or make meaningful plays. The lack of creativity/dumb play calling on offense is maddening. As is a secondary that remains lost.

'Gate with their second 90+ yard scoring drive..

'Gate 10 Lehigh 0 7:06 2Q

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 12:55 PM
Gate 99.5 yard drive. 10-0

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 01:10 PM
Army gets their own goal line stand!

Army 14-0 6:06 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 01:19 PM
TD 'Gate! Lehigh just looks lost. The offense has done nothing for the better part of 5 quarters. Raiders not doing anything special other than being competent...

'Gate 16 Lehigh 0 0:37 2Q

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 01:20 PM
Pitiful performance by Lehigh. I think Sterrett is 0-2 on coaching decisions. This staff flat out stinks

crusader11
November 11th, 2023, 01:30 PM
HC has life. Down 14-7.

Statistically speaking, have dominated Army.

Defense has really shown up today, even without Dobbs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 01:34 PM
Pards TD!

Laffy 14-3 5:35 3Q

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 01:39 PM
Pitiful performance by Lehigh. I think Sterrett is 0-2 on coaching decisions. This staff flat out stinks

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 01:43 PM
Gate fresh QB looks very good. Coaching??

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 01:47 PM
Gate scores in about 5 plays. Game 10 and LU looks like a beat dog. 23-0 Gate

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 01:51 PM
Army with a FG...

Black Knights 17-7 5:00 4Q

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 01:53 PM
LU is unwatchable. Good Night All!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 01:56 PM
LU is unwatchable. Good Night All!

Similar to Temple football! Just bad....

Lafalumni29
November 11th, 2023, 02:02 PM
LC 4th quarter defense. Here we go. [emoji85][emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 02:03 PM
TD HC with 2:05 left!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 02:06 PM
TD Rams!

Pards 17-10 9:28 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 02:16 PM
TD 'Pards!

Laffy 24-10 6:55 4Q

Army gets a huuge 4th and 1. Can take a knee and run out the lock. Crusaders have gone from Top 5 to needing a miracle at Goodman next week just to make the playoffs. Georgetown will be a tough out too. Crusaders remind me very much of 2004 Colgate and 2002 Lehigh....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 02:36 PM
Lafayette 24 Fordham 16 Final

Just a win over lowly Lehigh away from a PL Title in year two the Troxell Era.

Lafalumni29
November 11th, 2023, 02:37 PM
Pards win it!! Boy was i wrong about this one! But i think we all were. Curtis was the difference. Cant wait until he runs for 300+ against the s**t stains!!

crusader11
November 11th, 2023, 02:42 PM
An incredibly frustrating game at Michie today.

Statistically, HC dominated Army.

26 to 11 in first downs.

395 to 269 in total yards.

Big difference -- HC committed three turnovers (I'm including Army's blocked punt and scoop and score for a TD as a turnover), and Army took care of the ball.

Monday Morning QB'ing already, but HC would have been better off slinging the ball around the field all game.

Sader87
November 11th, 2023, 02:48 PM
Purple tinted glasses on, but HC should still be in the mix for an at-large pick.....outplayed Army today, should have beat BC etc....hand grenades and horseshoes I know....but they have no bad losses this year.

Southsider
November 11th, 2023, 02:49 PM
An incredibly frustrating game at Michie today.

Statistically, HC dominated Army.

26 to 11 in first downs.

395 to 269 in total yards.

Big difference -- HC committed three turnovers (I'm including Army's blocked punt and scoop and score for a TD as a turnover), and Army took care of the ball.

Monday Morning QB'ing already, but HC would have been better off slinging the ball around the field all game.

Totally agree. HC played the wrong QB. Are both Sr’s ?

crusader11
November 11th, 2023, 02:54 PM
Purple tinted glasses on, but HC should still be in the mix for an at-large pick.....outplayed Army today, should have beat BC etc....hand grenades and horseshoes I know....but they have no bad losses this year.

No good wins, though.

Hard to call this anything but a disappointing season.

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2023, 03:01 PM

Agree but a 7-4 doesn't win the hearts and minds of a committee that discounts Eastern football.

Sader87
November 11th, 2023, 03:05 PM
No good wins, though.

Hard to call this anything but a disappointing season.

Disappointing yes....but two 3 point losses to FBS schools, another 3 point loss to maybe the PL champs and a loss to the probable Ivy champs.....you can't tell me HC isn't one of the best 24 FCS teams in the country this year.

Franks Tanks
November 11th, 2023, 03:08 PM

Conversely, you got by Fordham and Lehigh by the skin of you teeth. Yale likely loses to Harvard, and that Colgate/Fordham game is going to be close. No top 30 wins will be hard to overcome.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 03:14 PM
Conversely, you got by Fordham and Lehigh by the skin of you teeth. Yale likely loses to Harvard, and that Colgate/Fordham game is going to be close. No top 30 wins will be hard to overcome.

HC's best win could end up being Colgate. Amazingly, the Raiders are 5-5 with a shot at a winning record. Stan really does have some Wayne Fontes traits!

Lehigh's score a couple meaningless TDs to close the gap but overall today's performance has been awful. That series of plays from the Gate 1 when they could have taken the lead early on was terrible. Then the defense clearly threw in the towel when the offense went in the tank. This game felt very similar to Dartmouth. But a bit worse because it was over at half...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 03:18 PM
On days like this Lehigh fans should take solace in those glory years. For as good as HC was, and they'll still likely share a record 5th straight PL Title, that stretch from 1998-2001 (11-0, 10-1, 11-0, 10-0) will NEVER be duplicated! But, for as great as that run has been, these last 5 have been equally brutal. I mean, my goodness. Two straight 2-9 seasons? With THESE schedules?!?! Yikes...

Sader87
November 11th, 2023, 03:18 PM
HC blew out Yale at the Yale Bowl.

They also beat both Fordham and
Lehigh without Sluka at QB.

It is what it is....but HC is definitely one of the best 24 teams in the FCS this year.

crusader11
November 11th, 2023, 03:19 PM
Disappointing yes....but two 3 point losses to FBS schools, another 3 point loss to maybe the PL champs and a loss to the probable Ivy champs.....you can't tell me HC isn't one of the best 24 FCS teams in the country this year.

At some point you’ve got to win a game.

Sader87
November 11th, 2023, 03:22 PM
At some point you’ve got to win a game.

Can only beat who you play....they will end up 7-2 (yes they'll beat GTown at Fittton) against FCS, 0-2 against FBS

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 03:24 PM
HC blew out Yale at the Yale Bowl.

They also beat both Fordham and l
Lehigh without Sluka at QB.

It is what it is....but HC is definitely one of the best 24 teams in the FCS this year.

Sluka is as much a detriment as he is a force at this point. If I want a great running QB I'm taking Ryan Vena or someone who could beat you with their arm. Sluka is an incredibly tough runner but he has never developed as a passer like one would have assumed. He reminds me of a poor mans Tebow or Jake Locker. This is not to take away from his leadership or will to win but you have to be more diverse on offense in 2023 than QB run 75% of the time.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 03:43 PM
Best game in Central PA today? Hoyas at Bison!

44-44 with about 40 seconds left

Sader87
November 11th, 2023, 03:44 PM
It is what it is.....two near wins ovah old FBS rivals Army and BC this year....loss to Ivy Champs Harvard and possible PL champs Lafayette.

Good year for HC....proud of our guys!

Sader87
November 11th, 2023, 03:59 PM
The thing is, most HC fans (over a certain age anyway) could not care less about the FCS playoffs....we'd rather play a couple FBS schools. a couple Ivies, maybe a CAA team and call it a season.....the FCS playoffs are nice but ultimately, who cares???

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2023, 04:11 PM
We have a final:

Georgetown 50
Bucknell 47
OT

To say this game had everyrhing in it is an understatement, unless you don't like safeties, onside kicks recovered for touchdowns, two goal line stands, and two Georgetown punts totaling 19 yards.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 11th, 2023, 04:13 PM
We have a final:

Georgetown 50
Bucknell 47
OT

To say this game had everyrhing in it is an understatement, unless you don't like safeties, onside kicks recovered for touchdowns, two goal line stands, and two Georgetown punts totaling 19 yards.

Game of the Year in the PL!!

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2023, 04:25 PM
Bucknell's remarkable run after halftime, down 23-8:

TD
Stopped at Georgetown 2 yard line
Fumbled at Georgetown 5 yard line
TD
TD
Turnover on downs at midfield, picks off Knoop the next play
TD
TD
Punt
FG

crusader11
November 11th, 2023, 04:28 PM
It is what it is.....two near wins ovah old FBS rivals Army and BC this year....loss to Ivy Champs Harvard and possible PL champs Lafayette.

Devils advocate.

Last year we blew out Ivy League champs and ran the table in the PL. We were also supposed to be even better this season.

Also, pssst, while Lafayette is a nice team, they aren’t THAT good. Fringe top 25 team, just like HC.

Spin it however you want, but a disappointing season given preseason expectations.

Wolffan
November 11th, 2023, 04:43 PM
The thing is, most HC fans (over a certain age anyway) could not care less about the FCS playoffs....we'd rather play a couple FBS schools. a couple Ivies, maybe a CAA team and call it a season.....the FCS playoffs are nice but ultimately, who cares???
When your record is 6-4 and your best win is Fordham (a 2 point squeaker over the 3rd best PL team) it is not a good football year.
All HC football fans (of all ages) want good football years.

Pards Rule
November 11th, 2023, 04:54 PM
Is anyone else having trouble with AGS? It's taking forever to load the last 2-3 days...

I am!!!

CHIP72
November 11th, 2023, 04:57 PM
Lafayette 24 Fordham 16 Final

Just a win over lowly Lehigh away from a PL Title in year two the Troxell Era.

It will be interesting to see what Lehigh’s effort is like next week. They did dominate last year’s game in Easton but made enough mistakes to help allow the Leopards pull out the win.

Sader87
November 11th, 2023, 05:02 PM
HC has had a frustratingly good year.....only FCS losses are to Ivy Champs Harvard and maybe PL Champs Lafayette....it is what it is....most HC grads couldn't care less about wins ovah SW Missouri NE North Dakota St......they care about games against Army, BC, Harvard during the regular season.

It's FCS football for a reason.

Go...gate
November 11th, 2023, 05:34 PM
We have a final:

Georgetown 50
Bucknell 47
OT

Congrats to the Hoyas!

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2023, 05:36 PM
HC has had a frustratingly good year.....only FCS losses are to Ivy Champs Harvard and maybe PL Champs Lafayette....it is what it is....most HC grads couldn't care less about wins ovah SW Missouri NE North Dakota St......they care about games against Army, BC, Harvard during the regular season.

Should HC then be an independent to play all the schools the old grads want to see?

Lafalumni29
November 11th, 2023, 05:37 PM
Should HC then be an independent to play all the schools the old grads want to see?

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]post of the year!!!

Sader87
November 11th, 2023, 05:40 PM

No, one of the few good things about the PL is that it allows 5 (or 6 some years) OOC games...which is always the most interesting part of the HC football season.

gravalico
November 11th, 2023, 05:40 PM
Devils advocate.

Last year we blew out Ivy League champs and ran the table in the PL. We were also supposed to be even better this season.

Also, pssst, while Lafayette is a nice team, they aren’t THAT good. Fringe top 25 team, just like HC.

Spin it however you want, but a disappointing season given preseason expectations.While Lafayette might not be "that" good, given preseason expectations we are every bit as gratifying as HC was disappointing. Psst...HC just barely ran the PL table last year. Squeaked by Lafayette if memory serves.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Sader87
November 11th, 2023, 06:07 PM
While Lafayette might not be "that" good, given preseason expectations we are every bit as gratifying as HC was disappointing. Psst...HC just barely ran the PL table last year. Squeaked by Lafayette if memory serves.

HC has been "disappointing" in losing 2 close FBS games, a home game in the rain and a game where it lost the turnovah battle to the Ivy Champs 0-5....it is what it is again, but HC will be a LOT better team than many that make the FCS playoffs this year. Whatevah....

bonarae
November 11th, 2023, 06:11 PM
but HC will be a LOT better team than many that make the FCS playoffs this year. Whatevah....

How can you be sure about the Southern, Midwestern and Western FCS teams that make the field? xdontknowx

Sometimes there are surprisingly good playoff teams coming out of nowhere, but we have a tendency to overestimate them next season (see SLU last and this season, Colgate 2018 and 2019).

Sader87
November 11th, 2023, 06:18 PM
Holy Cross is one of the Top 24 teams in the FCS this year....joke if you don't think so

Franks Tanks
November 11th, 2023, 07:24 PM

Good wins are always rewarded over close losses. Way, way back in 2005 Lafayette was given an at large bid in the 16 team field. They finished 8-3 but beat Richmond, who I believe ended up in the top 10. I don’t follow this stuff all that closely anymore, but there’s probably going to be other 7 win squads out there win or or even 2 top 25 ish wins.

Hate to say it, but Army is not good this year. I have no idea how they beat up Air Force last week.

pardfan
November 11th, 2023, 08:23 PM
In defense of the "HC ts one of the top 24 in fcs" assertion, I took in--scouted?--the Austin Peay v. Utah Tech game today. (Son--LC grad-- was co-piloting a CH-47--101st AB--in a pre-game Veterans Day flyover. FWIW he graduated Army Flight School with Jeff Kordenbrock--the LC player who kicked the game-winner v. Lehigh about 3 or four years ago). Anyway, APSU is rated #20 and I think a top team in the PL could/might beat them. Why? I think the offensive and defensive lines in the PL are (seem so to me, anyway) bigger and stronger than what I saw today and I don't think any speed edge some non-PL teams might have in the skill positions is enough to offset that. Kicking today was impressive in terms of distance. 54-yd. field goal made like it was nothing. Quarterbacks were good but not great. Fun afternoon. Band very good. Lotta audience participation stuff. (For example, throwing a ball towards a target at $250 for a successful throw. Win up to $1000). Parking free and right next to stadium. I'm a fan of that, for sure.

Wolffan
November 11th, 2023, 09:01 PM

Good year for HC....proud of our guys! Our best win this year was a 2-pointer over Fordham. Fordham is either the third or fourth best Patriot League team.

Not a good year at this point.

Sader87
November 11th, 2023, 09:51 PM
It really doesn't mattah if we make the playoffs....they're a joke anyway......HC hoop won at GTown tonight,,,,,hoop season!

Pards Rule
November 12th, 2023, 07:34 AM
In defense of the "HC ts one of the top 24 in fcs" assertion, I took in--scouted?--the Austin Peay v. Utah Tech game today. (Son--LC grad-- was co-piloting a CH-47--101st AB--in a pre-game Veterans Day flyover. FWIW he graduated Army Flight School with Jeff Kordenbrock--the LC player who kicked the game-winner v. Lehigh about 3 or four years ago). Anyway, APSU is rated #20 and I think a top team in the PL could/might beat them. Why? I think the offensive and defensive lines in the PL are (seem so to me, anyway) bigger and stronger than what I saw today and I don't think any speed edge some non-PL teams might have in the skill positions is enough to offset that. Kicking today was impressive in terms of distance. 54-yd. field goal made like it was nothing. Quarterbacks were good but not great. Fun afternoon. Band very good. Lotta audience participation stuff. (For example, throwing a ball towards a target at $250 for a successful throw. Win up to $1000). Parking free and right next to stadium. I'm a fan of that, for sure.

Damn great, incredible info Pardfan. I actually was prompted to look at where Austin Peay Univ is (Clarksville TN, NW of Nashville off I-24). Jeff! I was taking pics of the field after what would be his first game vs Monmouth 2017 at their newly renovated stadium and I do have him in a nice picture with his parents! I dont think he was starting then. Would he like to have? I wouldnt mind flying down to BNA (Nashville) for a game. BTW I was at the Air Force game in 2021. WHAT a great time, venue and game! We did very well! AF fans were so generous!

caribbeanhen
November 12th, 2023, 08:43 AM

FWIW? It’s worth is everything

Congratulations to father and son

Pard4Life
November 12th, 2023, 09:15 AM
On days like this Lehigh fans should take solace in those glory years. For as good as HC was, and they'll still likely share a record 5th straight PL Title, that stretch from 1998-2001 (11-0, 10-1, 11-0, 10-0) will NEVER be duplicated! But, for as great as that run has been, these last 5 have been equally brutal. I mean, my goodness. Two straight 2-9 seasons? With THESE schedules?!?! Yikes...

At least when Pards were going 1-10, 2-9 in a season, our OOC read like 'Delaware, UNH, W&M, Princeton, Albany'

Pard4Life
November 12th, 2023, 09:20 AM
Devils advocate.

Spin it however you want, but a disappointing season given preseason expectations.

Have to agree - we are being held together with tape and putty. Do not know how Fordham lost to us yesterday - hate to be a Fordham fan right now. As for Lehigh, fully expect them to give us a game. This is not going to be some 8-win team thrashing a 2-win team. It is going to very close and competitive.

Pards Rule
November 12th, 2023, 11:35 AM
Have to agree - we are being held together with tape and putty. Do not know how Fordham lost to us yesterday - hate to be a Fordham fan right now. As for Lehigh, fully expect them to give us a game. This is not going to be some 8-win team thrashing a 2-win team. It is going to very close and competitive.

See the same...look Lehigh has nothing to lose.

gravalico
November 12th, 2023, 03:21 PM
Have to agree - we are being held together with tape and putty. Do not know how Fordham lost to us yesterday - hate to be a Fordham fan right now. As for Lehigh, fully expect them to give us a game. This is not going to be some 8-win team thrashing a 2-win team. It is going to very close and competitive.I'm sorry...how are we being held together by tape and putty exactly?

pardfan
November 12th, 2023, 08:47 PM
FWIW? It’s worth is everything

Congratulations to father and son
As dumb as my use of FWIW was, you more than offset it with your thoughtful comment. Thanks.

Bill
November 12th, 2023, 09:08 PM
I'm sorry...how are we being held together by tape and putty exactly?

Don't worry, it's Flex Tapexlolx

ngineer
November 12th, 2023, 09:49 PM
Sorry for such a late check in. But, I was up at the "Tundra" and it was a long ride home. Not scoring from the 1 yard line early in the game seemed to take the steam out. After a nice drive early in the game to be in position to go up, and then blow the opportunity, seemed to result in a loss of confidence. Offense was erratic after that and the defense had some coverage screw ups the secondary that killed them. Interesting was how the Perri seemed to get into a groove and was moving the team with some smart, sharp passing. He doesn't have the arm of Silbor, but he was more accurate. I will be surprised if Silbor suits up Saturday. Looked like a knee injury and I doubt they take a chance with a quick turnaround. Indeed, it would be ironic if Perri gets the start in #159 and gets to amend for last year's debacle in Easton, where he failed to see wide open receivers...especially in the end zone. Lehigh could well have had 3-4 more wins this year, but too many mistakes and not enough experience to keep one's head when things don't go right. Coaches were really ripping into some of the players, and seemed to get some attention in the fourth. These guys have nothing to play for other than keeping their arch-rival from winning the League championship and going to the playoffs. I am expecting the team to be stoked and Perri seeking redemption from last year's blown opportunity. It would be a hell of a way to end his career. It will be interesting to see how Cahill approaches the week. Having coached at Yale for almost 12 years, he's had experience with a big rivalry game.

gravalico
November 13th, 2023, 05:29 AM
Don't worry, it's Flex Tapexlolx
33154Well I feel better then.