PDA

View Full Version : Delaware player

asudan22
December 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
can the ejected player, play in the game. And was he a crucial part of the defense. I assume Delaware has a good replacement for him because SIU could not move the ball even after he was gone.

93henfan
December 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM
The ejection is only for the game being played. Also, if you spell Delaware right, I'll pronounce Appalachian right.xsmiley_wix

Ud1Hens
December 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM
That's because Prindle is not a good linebacker...Brian Brown (was a starter last year before an injury) and Mikumbi came in and played awesome. If he can't play, it won't hurt our defense.

siuham
December 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Good players don't lose their head like that, I didn't expect him to be a pivotal part of their defense. Oh, and we moved the ball, just not once we got inside the 30. :(

UNHWildCats
December 8th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Good players don't lose their head like that, I didn't expect him to be a pivotal part of their defense. Oh, and we moved the ball, just not once we got inside the 30. :(
Gonna be a tough weekend for ya when the Pats are finished with the steelers tomorrow :p

siuham
December 8th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Gonna be a tough weekend for ya when the Pats are finished with the steelers tomorrow :p

I don't want to think about that. :(

I'm going to miss the first part of the game because of a jazz gig.

And our basketball team is down 18 late in the second half to Charlotte. What an awful weekend.

foghorn
December 8th, 2007, 07:39 PM
That's because Prindle is not a good linebacker...Brian Brown (was a starter last year before an injury) and Mikumbi came in and played awesome. If he can't play, it won't hurt our defense.

Makumbi came in to replace Prindle and made his presence quickly felt with a sack!xnodx

BlueHenBoy
December 8th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I think that call on him was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. It's a high intensity game, it's not like he threw a punch at him. I didn't even think it deserved a flag.

But, my angle might have been bad.

I would like it if Prindle couldn't play.

Eagle22
December 8th, 2007, 10:12 PM
The ejection is only for the game being played. Also, if you spell Delaware right, I'll pronounce Appalachian right.xsmiley_wix

So the CAA doesn't have a rule where an ejection prevents that player from playing in another game ?

I'm not 100% sure of the enforcement of the rule in the SoCon, but if there is an ejection I think that player cannot play in the next conference game.

I also don't remember the specifics of several other ejections in the playoffs, but in WKU's playoff game w/ the sledgehammer incident, weren't there a few players who had to sit out the following year or the next game (in WKU's case) ?

The only one of major impact I remember in the playoffs was WIU's James Milton, the 1998 Buchanan winner, being ejected after kicking GSU's Grant Chestnut in the 'man region' :) early in that semi-final matchup. In his case, it was a career-ending kick, something very few LB's can claim.

Missingnumber7
December 9th, 2007, 01:30 AM
As Per NCAA rule book which is the same FBS-DIII

Section 5 Fighting

Rule 1.b During the second half the players shall not participate in a fight.

Penalty: 15 yards from the basic spot or succeeding spot, first down for Team B fouls if the first down is not in conflict with other rules, and disqualification for the remainder of the game and the first half of the next game. For fights that occur in the last game of the season the suspension will be served in the first game of the next season.

Do a google search for ncaa football rules and there are all sorts of electronic copies of the rule book out there. It just sucks reading them because its written in lawyer speak.

siuham
December 9th, 2007, 02:31 AM
I think that call on him was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. It's a high intensity game, it's not like he threw a punch at him. I didn't even think it deserved a flag.

But, my angle might have been bad.

I would like it if Prindle couldn't play.

Someone watching the game on ESPN said it was closer to 'an elbow to the back of a player that wasn't even facing him'

JayJ79
December 9th, 2007, 02:43 AM
As Per NCAA rule book which is the same FBS-DIII

Section 5 Fighting

Rule 1.b During the second half the players shall not participate in a fight.

Penalty: 15 yards from the basic spot or succeeding spot, first down for Team B fouls if the first down is not in conflict with other rules, and disqualification for the remainder of the game and the first half of the next game. For fights that occur in the last game of the season the suspension will be served in the first game of the next season.

Do a google search for ncaa football rules and there are all sorts of electronic copies of the rule book out there. It just sucks reading them because its written in lawyer speak.

wasn't really a fight. It was an illegal hit out of bounds by a player on the sidelines.

SirApp
December 9th, 2007, 03:07 AM

where is the misspelling???? xconfusedx

siuham
December 9th, 2007, 04:12 AM
wasn't really a fight. It was an illegal hit out of bounds by a player on the sidelines.

Was just watching the replay on 360, the call was "slugging"

Slugging? Seriously? It was a penalty, he was pissed that SIU's lineman hadn't let him go yet so he gave him a not so gentle shove off that landed on his helmet, ESPN announcer said it was a hit by a player on Delaware's bench on the running back. He also said he was a few feet away. He must have terrible eyesight...

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Makumbi came in to replace Prindle and made his presence quickly felt with a sack!xnodx

I dont understand why Prindle was still the starter...

Is it because KC is a softie for seniors?

phillyAPP
December 9th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Remember - He was on the bench when he gave the forearm shiver!

He is not even worth talking about. I am sure the rest of the team let him know it was STUPID.

I am going to have a great time this week with my UD friends.

I expect UD to show us a different look on Friday night. This is for all the bragging rights and just like the last two years the game will come down to the turnovers in the second half which means anything can happen AGF (Any Given Friday).

BluehenJK
December 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Prindle was not replaced by Makumbi. Makumbi is a middle linebacker, Prindle is an outside linebacker. Brian Void replaced Prindle after the ejection and made the tackle for loss. It was #52 not #42. They tried different combinations. Brian Brown on the outside, who played mediocre at best. Then they used JT Laws in the middle and moved Erik Johnson to his natural outside position.

Missingnumber7
December 9th, 2007, 01:57 PM

I thought about that too...

Rule 2 Definitions
Section 32 Fighting
Article 1...Fighting is any attempt by a player, coach, or squad member to strike an opponent in a combative manner unrelated to football. Such acts include but are not limited to:
a. Attempts to contact with the arm(s), hand(s), leg(s), or foot (feet), weather or not there is contact.
b. Any unsportsmanlike act toward an opponent that causes any opponent to retaliate by fighting.

Pretty cut and dry, but also the vagueness by the official works too. I did not see the play, but I would guess he will be missing the first half. I think it is something that the schools will ask the NCAA for an interpretation on.
It stinks, but each act has a consequence, weather good or bad. I wish I could've seen the call. I would hope that the NCAA would evaluate the entire situation.

siuham
December 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Any personal foul that is considered flagrant warrants an ejection, apparently the ref found it to be flagrant.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2005/2005_football_rules.pdf (page 108)

RadMann
December 9th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I was very surprised that the WWF body slam/tackle was not called as a personal foul. That was the most flagrant foul I saw in the game.

Houndawg
December 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I thought about that too...

Rule 2 Definitions
Section 32 Fighting
Article 1...Fighting is any attempt by a player, coach, or squad member to strike an opponent in a combative manner unrelated to football. Such acts include but are not limited to:
a. Attempts to contact with the arm(s), hand(s), leg(s), or foot (feet), weather or not there is contact.
b. Any unsportsmanlike act toward an opponent that causes any opponent to retaliate by fighting.

Pretty cut and dry, but also the vagueness by the official works too. I did not see the play, but I would guess he will be missing the first half. I think it is something that the schools will ask the NCAA for an interpretation on.
It stinks, but each act has a consequence, weather good or bad. I wish I could've seen the call. I would hope that the NCAA would evaluate the entire situation.

Does that include giving him the bidness?

siuham
December 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I was very surprised that the WWF body slam/tackle was not called as a personal foul. That was the most flagrant foul I saw in the game.

haha, that was BA...

He wasn't able to take him down in a conventional manner and didn't want a big boy on top of him on the ground.

93henfan
December 9th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Obviously different levels, but I've seen that called both ways in the NFL. Brian Dawkins did a suplex on a Redskins WR a few years back - no foul. Then, just about two hours ago, Lito Sheppard did a suplex to a Giants WR and got a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty.

It's really whatever mood the officiating crew is in that determines whether it's a penalty.

Regarding Prindle, on the replay, I could not see what he did to the SIU player, but I definitely saw the SIU player give a retaliatory punch. Again, I guess it's whatever mood the officials are in at the time.

KAUMASS
December 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Any news or ruling on Prindle for the championship game?

cougarpines
December 11th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Any news or ruling on Prindle for the championship game?

He will play.

YoUDeeMan
December 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
He will play.

xnodx

"An NCAA infractions review committee ruled Monday that the personal foul penalty that got Prindle ejected from Delaware's 20-17 semifinal win at Southern Illinois on Saturday did not warrant a subsequent one-game suspension, as some expulsions do."

"Prindle was ejected after the first play of the fourth quarter in the game at Carbondale, Ill. Southern Illinois running back John Randle had been chased out of bounds along the Delaware sideline. Prindle was being blocked by SIU tight end Byron Gettis, the 27-year-old former Wilmington Blue Rocks baseball player.

"Their player had his arms around Timmy, which probably should have been called a hold, and had him at least seven or eight yards out of bounds, and still had him engaged," Keeler said. "So, Timmy, in an effort to get him off, open handed, slapped at his shoulder, which ended up hitting him up toward the head.

"Should there have been a flag thrown? I don't think so, but I can see what he [the official] saw. Should he have been ejected? Obviously, no one felt he should have been ejected."

The head referee used the word "slugging" when announcing the reason for Prindle's ejection.

Keeler credited Colonial Athletic Association personnel at the game for immediately beginning the process of securing replays for use in an appeal.

"We got all the way to the track [which surrounded the football field at McAndrew Stadium], and I started stumbling backward a little," Prindle said. "I think I was just in a panic reaction. I knew the heaters were over there, and a cement ledge around the track. I kind of threw him off me at the end of it. I guess it appeared to the referee I hit him on the side of the head. But I think, when you watch the film, it's clear I didn't try to fight the guy or anything. I walked directly away after that. It was just a reaction at the end of the play."

More onthe story at the website below:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071211/SPORTS20/712110328/1002/Sports20

GannonFan
December 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Good call by the NCAA - I can see the ref maybe having a bad angle at the game and thinking it was more than it was, but obviously on replay you can see that there wasn't anything remotely close to warranting an ejection. Good for Prindle as well since he's a senior and watching his last game ever on the sidelines would be a tough way to go out.

Appdad
December 11th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Good call by the NCAA - I can see the ref maybe having a bad angle at the game and thinking it was more than it was, but obviously on replay you can see that there wasn't anything remotely close to warranting an ejection. Good for Prindle as well since he's a senior and watching his last game ever on the sidelines would be a tough way to go out.

I concur! I am glad to see that the kid is publicly cleared and just as important gets to play in the biggest game of his college career!

Missingnumber7
December 11th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Like I said, I hoped that the NCAA would review it. They finally showed the game on AFN, I agree with the fact that the flag should have never been thrown. That was just a lazy official that didn't want to do the preventive officiating and it was just easier for him to see what one person did and throw his flag.