PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Youngstown St @Indiana St.

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2023, 12:05 PM
YSU opens this week at #17 in the AGS Poll and ranked #14 in Massey ratings with a SOS at #13. ISUb is winless. My view YSU is better than both ratings with only 3 point loses on the road to ranked teams and Ohio St. while destroying rated SIU.

NCAA committee has to be crapping their pants at the relative strength in the MVFC this year which threatens to embarrass much of FCS with butt whippings.

YSU appears to remain fairly healthy after beating MoST 44-28 last Saturday. ISUb played a tough game before losing in a close game. I don’t think YSU loses this game, but that’s why we play them and actually find out !

The Yo Show
October 30th, 2023, 01:51 PM
Say what you want about WIU or Indiana State and their record, but of the two Indiana State fights every game. Looking to be a battle, Penguins need to go in treating it as such.

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2023, 02:47 PM
Say what you want about WIU or Indiana State and their record, but of the two Indiana State fights every game. Looking to be a battle, Penguins need to go in treating it as such.

Agree. I’m looking at it from a matchup standpoint. YSU is a bad matchup for ISUb. Stats show a mismatch. ISUb struggles in their run and pass game. Their D is fair. However, YSU is hitting a stride in their O efficiency, both run and pass. D, other than the secondary ,has been good. The Trees aren’t very good throwing the ball. That is key. YSU is dominant at this point and wins by more than 14 iMO.

Paladin1aa
October 30th, 2023, 03:46 PM
YSU QB Mitch Davidson was named the MVFC Offensive player of the week, throwing for 390 yds and 4 TDS against MoST in a 44-28 win.

Little background on Davidson. He played at nearby Salem H.S. In the Valley and had a respectable career but attracted little D-I attention. He was a walk on at YSU where he languished for several years behind average QBs. Last year the coaches had a QB from an Ohio state championship team, a dual threat. That QB had NO D-I offers as a QB, but lots of offers to be a RB. YSU offered him the chance to play QB ( which became a quick failure). Early last year, by the 4th game, Davidson got his chance. At 6’4, 220 he has the size to play, has limited range with his arm but keeping him within his limits and having him as a game manger has used his abilities to make him effective. The key here is that YSU is loaded with good WRs, one of which (Oliver) I expect to see in PRo camps. Mitch isn’t entirely accurate but gets the ball close enough some excellent plays are pulled off.

YSU has not had a good record recruiting QBs even though they have had two former Pro starters with good careers (Jaworski/ Eagles and Stoudt/Steelers&Cowboys). Davidson has persevered and is now a leading QB in the MVFC as a senior. Full circle for him. They will need to recruit QBs for next year.

BeamMeUp
October 30th, 2023, 08:30 PM
Indiana State has given UNI, USD, and UND fits thus far this year. YSU best be ready!

penguinpower
October 31st, 2023, 05:31 AM
A little off the subject.......

Paladin, I pay attention to your HS recruiting analysis because you're usually spot on. You always put out question marks for kids that don't play at a high level of HS ball because they're unproven, which is fair given that no one knows how these kids will pan out at high level play. Basically what I'm saying is that you could get a kid that could be a bust.

That being stated, I think Phillips has had more hits than misses in his recruiting. Seems like some of his classes are better than their conservative projections. Agree he needs to get a QB for next year. We only lose like one person on defense next year. The lines are pretty young. I think YSU will only get better (if they find a QB). He's stacking classes they way he needs to stack them.

Wanted your take on it

Paladin1aa
October 31st, 2023, 10:40 AM
PP -

Phillips is like a manager or CEO. Don’t rate him highly as an X and O guy,just an average position coach. The jury is still out on his recruiting. For sure, the current RFR class was a monster and many good things will come from it. On either side of that class is a lot of misses with a few hits. He needs another monster class coming up or the talent will be stretched too thin. He is nothing like Wolf who was very close to starting another dynasty after Tressel, recruiting players to kick Pitts arse and having his players get Pelini to the Natty after he got fired. The Wolf is getting $1,000,000 a year at Alabama now as their top recruiter and OL coach , which he excels at.

Phillips is more of a developmental coach meaning he will recruit marginal players give them up to 5 years to bulk up, get stronger, faster and competitive after 3-4 years “seasoning”. Davidson caught a break by having Jaleel last year to save his bacon while getting valuable playing experience for this year. That said, the YSU OC has done a nice job using him within his limited abilities to make him effective. They are hurting at this point for next year at QB. The son of a legacy QB isn’t the answer next year nor the project they brought in from the Pittsburgh area. We have lots of talent returning next year, but little at QB and a few questions at RB. I’ve heard King might get another year of eligibility and with Whatley would make a good tandem for next year, but as yet unconfirmed on King.

I always like to point out recruits from Florida where YSU has backed off of.Major mistake. As I follow recruiting in the MVFC, most teams bring in Florida players, even in the Dakotas. Speaking of the Dakotas, they face little to no competition for their in state players as there are no D-I FBS teams there where Ohio is buried with major D-Is recruiting here, both from in state programs(8 and 2 FCS) and major leagues (B1G,SEC,ACC,etc) . The quality of Ohio players far surpasses the Dakotas but their limited player abilities equals or exceeds the talent we mine in the lower h.s. Divisions in this state. Phillips has made inroads trying to recruit in major big programs (St. Ed’s, Iggy, and the 3Cs - Cleveland, Columbus, Cincy ). We will see if it bears fruit. For sure, Wolf got fired for running off local worthless talent and refused to be bullied into recruiting in the Valley. Much of YSUs struggles I lay at the feet of the current YSU AD. He got you an award winning women’s bowling team, lacrosse team and nice facilities but doomed the money sports football, MBB and WBB.

We will see soon what Phillips brings in Dec and NLOID in Feb. They can be real good next year but need the QB and a clearer picture on RB.

BeamMeUp
October 31st, 2023, 11:44 AM
Paladin. King will have another year with us at RB next season. He confirmed in a media interview. So between him and Whatley and Harris, we should be fine at RB.

Paladin1aa
October 31st, 2023, 12:37 PM
Paladin. King will have another year with us at RB next season. He confirmed in a media interview. So between him and Whatley and Harris, we should be fine at RB.

There you go, Beam
Now if we can find a decent QB,, we stand to be better next year. I’d be looking at portal/transfer/Juco. And to be honest, I’d recruit 2 QBs for next year.

To get back on the Trees, they have a QB problem this year . Decent D but they don’t get off the field for long. They are not very good on O. If YSU uses their balanced O and run and throw on the Trees, we will wear them down while our D faces little passing threat from them. Add in our strong kicking game and play good field position to a win.

ysubigred
October 31st, 2023, 12:55 PM
Wolford was a good recruiter. Just needed someone to coach them in a game.. crazy how YSU beat Pitt and loses all their Nov MVFC games... year after year, he had to goooo!

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Paladin1aa
October 31st, 2023, 01:15 PM
Wolford was a good recruiter. Just needed someone to coach them in a game.. crazy how YSU beat Pitt and loses all their Nov MVFC games... year after year, he had to goooo!

He is laughing all the way to the bank now, Red.

The Wolf had them on the cusp of another dynasty but the AD was too cheap to pay for a DC. Wolf went thru 3 in his short time here trying to find one. If he had that, YSU would have had glory years again. Wolf was an even better recruiter than Tressel.

Politics and money. That sums up the YSU disaster.

ysubigred
October 31st, 2023, 01:21 PM

The Wolf had them on the cusp of another dynasty but the AD was too cheap to pay for a DC. Wolf went thru 3 in his short time here trying to find one. If he had that, YSU would have had glory years again. Wolf was an even better recruiter than Tressel.

Politics and money. That sums up the YSU disaster.I'm not disputing anything you're saying except I doubt YSU was on the cusp of another dynasty unless Wolford stayed to recruit, and we found an HC/coaching staff.

Paladin1aa
October 31st, 2023, 01:50 PM
I'm not disputing anything you're saying except I doubt YSU was on the cusp of another dynasty unless Wolford stayed to recruit, and we found an HC/coaching staff.

Sure you are. It’s a matter of record Wolf ran off the local “stars” and recruited like a champ. His players not only beat Pitt, they physically stomped them. He had a record setting QB in Hess. The only thing missing was a DC who could use schemes. All 3 were clueless. After getting fired, Pelini used Wolfs players to get to the Natty while he supplied the needed DC. Unfortunately, Pelini recruits were as worthless as Heacocks with local “stars” making up an overweight on the roster. Downhill all the way.

Wolf would have had years of master recruiting to build the program. You can cut it anyway you like. With a decent DC, the sky would have been the limit. And he would have done it as one of the lower paid coaches in the MVFC.

You can pizz and moan in your beer all you want. You never understood what was actually going on in the rats nest known as YSU. As it stands, YSU blew its chances. Fans got what they wanted- failed native coaches, failed local players, failed local AD. We know everything because we are Youngstown. Same old chit .

Priceless !

ysubigred
October 31st, 2023, 03:32 PM
Sure you are. It’s a matter of record Wolf ran off the local “stars” and recruited like a champ. His players not only beat Pitt, they physically stomped them. He had a record setting QB in Hess. The only thing missing was a DC who could use schemes. All 3 were clueless. After getting fired, Pelini used Wolfs players to get to the Natty while he supplied the needed DC. Unfortunately, Pelini recruits were as worthless as Heacocks with local “stars” making up an overweight on the roster. Downhill all the way.

Wolf would have had years of master recruiting to build the program. You can cut it anyway you like. With a decent DC, the sky would have been the limit. And he would have done it as one of the lower paid coaches in the MVFC.

You can pizz and moan in your beer all you want. You never understood what was actually going on in the rats nest known as YSU. As it stands, YSU blew its chances. Fans got what they wanted- failed native coaches, failed local players, failed local AD. We know everything because we are Youngstown. Same old chit .

Priceless !Dude, you're nucking futs.. nothing you said above fits anything I implied.

Who gives a **** YSU beat Pitt... Couldn't beat the MVFC where it counts. Hess sucked also.. didn’t win ****. Bottom line: YSU kicked the **** out of Pitt and the weenie schedule but lost their ass in the MVFC..

Carry-on xsalutex

Paladin1aa
October 31st, 2023, 03:59 PM
Game notes are out. YSU is healthy except at C where Parker is a question mark. He was replaced by RFR Keen for the MoST game where Keen had an excellent game. He has a bright future.

YSU is 23-8 all time vs Indiana St. Guins are 12-4 at ISUb.

ysubigred
November 1st, 2023, 08:02 AM
Guins need to play the trees without mistakes.. I don't like this game setup. [emoji19]

Haven't won in Terre Haute since the 2017 season.. all 4 of YSUs' losses to ISU blue in Terre Haute came with in the last 5 trips.

Houndawg
November 1st, 2023, 08:07 AM

Politics and money. That sums up the YSU disaster.

It can't be easy to get good players to come to Youngstown Ohio - its not like you have the advantages of lifestyle and weather enjoyed by places like Fargo North Dakota:D

ysubigred
November 1st, 2023, 08:22 AM
It can't be easy to get good players to come to Youngstown Ohio - its not like you have the advantages of lifestyle and weather enjoyed by places like Fargo North Dakota:DYeah no **** [emoji1787] In reality YSU misses out on good local players due to many other opportunities within a 100 mile radius.. especially MAC schools to be on ESPN every week.. the really great talent goes to the obvious, even shows up here in KY..

YSU only fields enough talent to beat weenie teams and overrated conference teams.. [emoji2960]

J.K. SIU is my favorite away game to come and tailgate in the MVFC..

Paladin1aa
November 2nd, 2023, 02:31 PM
Analysis of the Trees show a team made up of 31 transfers/Jucos. They start 4 on O and 5 on D. Best appears to be RB Dinka , a transfer from San Diego St. and VanDyne, a 6’5 WR transfer from Minnesota. They also show a number of 4 year starters.
That would explain how they have managed to stay close in a number of games while remaining winless.

The Trees show that they have trailed in their games only to make last minute scores to nearly catch up. That makes them dangerous. Trailing by multiple scores and then closing the gap in the last few minutes shows a lack of consistency but an ability to execute quick big plays.

Not expecting a shoot out, but one is possible. Last year YSU won 48-42.

The Yo Show
November 2nd, 2023, 08:39 PM
Twitter space discussing the matchup: https://x.com/WeAreYoungstown/status/1720228874263335361?s=20

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2023, 02:04 PM
Yeah no **** [emoji1787] In reality YSU misses out on good local players due to many other opportunities within a 100 mile radius.. especially MAC schools to be on ESPN every week.. the really great talent goes to the obvious, even shows up here in KY..

YSU only fields enough talent to beat weenie teams and overrated conference teams.. [emoji2960]

J.K. SIU is my favorite away game to come and tailgate in the MVFC..

Overrated or aberration, the question about SIU will be answered the next 2 weeks against USD and @NDSU - ISU could be a real trap gane for us after those two, win or lose

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2023, 02:12 PM
Overrated or aberration, the question about SIU will be answered the next 2 weeks against USD and @NDSU - ISU could be a real trap gane for us after those two, win or loseSame here. Waiting for the real Penguins to please stand up.. I hope it's the ones that played SIU.

Houndawg
November 4th, 2023, 08:50 AM
Same here. Waiting for the real Penguins to please stand up.. I hope it's the ones that played SIU.

And I hope that wasn't the real SIU! We shall see today...

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 12:20 PM
YSU almost forces a safety. Trees backup almost in their end zone.

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 12:28 PM
YSU misses a 51 yd FG

The Yo Show
November 4th, 2023, 12:30 PM
And trees score first with a TD pass

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 12:30 PM
Trees score TD on screen pass

7-0 Trees

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 12:38 PM
Davidson TD run

7 all

The Yo Show
November 4th, 2023, 12:41 PM
Well pally looks like this might be a shootout after all

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 01:10 PM
Trees playing very well on D. YSU needs to play Brungard and run option. They are jamming everything inside and covering well on pass3s.

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 01:31 PM
The OC must have heard me. They put Brungard in , run the outside play which is wide open. Trees are packing it inside- outside is open. So are passes to TE. They best make the halftime adjustments. This game shouldn’t be close if not for some dumb coaches.

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 02:01 PM
YSU FG

YSU 10-7

Sycamore62
November 4th, 2023, 02:09 PM
I think either our no call on Dpi and the first half was a bad call or the DPI that they called on us on that first drive in the second half was a bad call.

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 02:40 PM
Lo and behold - Brungard scores on a long run outside. Who called for that ?

YSU 19-7

penguinpower
November 4th, 2023, 02:42 PM
Lo and behold - Brungard scores on a long run outside. Who called for that ?

YSU 19-7

Good call. Maybe he checked the board 😂

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 03:00 PM
YSU sacks QB and he fumbles. YSU ball.

4:08 to go 4Q

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 03:03 PM
QB sacked again.

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 03:09 PM
Final

YSU 19-7

The Yo Show
November 4th, 2023, 03:20 PM
Well onto all the playoff marbles. YSU has a miracle and beats SDSU at home then YSU makes playoffs and maybe gets a seed?!

YSU loses and they are likely out of playoffs

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 04:35 PM
Well onto all the playoff marbles. YSU has a miracle and beats SDSU at home then YSU makes playoffs and maybe gets a seed?!

I wouldn’t say they are out of the playoffs. The potential field is weak in FCS again, very weak except for the MVFC and also Big Sky.

penguinpower
November 4th, 2023, 04:51 PM
I wouldn’t say they are out of the playoffs. The potential field is weak in FCS again, very weak except for the MVFC and also Big Sky.

Delaware had a bad loss today. They are overrated. Last year the committee dumped the so called "rules" out om thr table to make sure Delaware made it into the tournament. The CAA is trash this year. MVFC and Big Sky are the power conferences.

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 05:08 PM
In reviewing stats, we had a decent game. The D was pretty good holding the Trees to 9 of 24 passes for 125 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT and 4 sacks. I dare say that may be the best D the Trees have seen, we also only gave up 66 yds on the ground.

YSU was 25 of37 passes for 254 yds, no INT and 3 sacks. We ran for 132 yds. Interestingly , Brungard led with 3 runs for 59, King had 49 and Rushton 24. I still don’t get why Rushton is the starter. King out plays him every game. BTW, Brungard could have had over 100 yds today if they used him more. The Trees were jamming the inside and leaving the outside open where Brungard did his damage.
One other point, we passed the ball late in the game when Trees had no more timeouts when we should have ran to eat up clock. Simple elementary coaching yet we look like incompetent youth league coaches. I haven’t coached in years but that is just fundamental coaching 101. Scary to think what other MVFC coaches are salivating about when they face our staff !

BeamMeUp
November 4th, 2023, 06:46 PM

Agreed. Plenty of variables in the final two weeks.

JacksFan40
November 4th, 2023, 07:51 PM

YSU should be in at 7-4 with that win over SIU giving them the boost, and their current two FCS losses being by a combined six points.

Still a massive game next week in Youngstown. Big trap game potential with SDSU coming off of two big rivalry wins.

Paladin1aa
November 4th, 2023, 08:02 PM
YSU should be in at 7-4 with that win over SIU giving them the boost, and their current two FCS losses being by a combined six points.

Still a massive game next week in Youngstown. Big trap game potential with SDSU coming off of two big rivalry wins.

Already checked your stats for todays game. For the ones that count, you guys don’t beat yourselves - didn’t lose a fumble, no INTs, only 4 penalties for 40 yds, was 1 for 1 on fourth down and 6 of 13 on third down. Gronkowski had good numbers and Davis was hot. Add in a D that throttled NDSU and it means YSU will have to play its best to stay with you.

My opinion, you guys are the best in FCS. But you have to play the game where anything “might” happen,lol. Looking forward to the game.

BeamMeUp
November 4th, 2023, 08:12 PM
Regarding penalties, which were bad again today for YSU, Paladin you may be surprised to hear SDSU was ranked 115th in the FCS in fewest penalty yards allowed this year. YSU was 79th. Not good numbers for either squad.

Regardless, they are #1 and we are not. Some of our penalties were very poor today (2 encroachments on 4th down today). If we want to have ANY shot next week, this must be cleaned up. Rabbits will be double-digit favorites.

ysubigred
November 5th, 2023, 09:30 AM
Really had a great time at Memorial Stadium. Going out on the road and seeing the player up close and personally changes one's perspective. The YSU family is strong. Coach Phillips is a great human being. I was so impressed when he was the 1st off the team busses and personally gave each and every player a hand shake and a man hung before entering the locker room. Going to Indy State is a hardship. Their facilities for opposing teams are not what a Div 1 school environment should look like. I went to a high school game last week in a very rural county in KY that dwarfed the facilities in Terre Haute.

Onto the game. Although it wasn't pretty, it was a W. The penalties on defense are a head scratcher. I'm not sure why they are all keyed up and so jumpy on the line. You've got to get off the ball on a snap, but being too overly quick causes penalties or over pursuit, which we're seeing over and over.

The offense wasn't too bad. I made the comment that YSU is physically sound but not MVFC big. The eye test in person shows MVFC DLs sizing up and pushing the Oline around pretty good. There was no way the Guins was going to run between the tackles. I'm really disappointed in Oliver. It appears he's not giving 100% [emoji848] if it is not the perfect pass or a bit contested he's not going to fight for it. Maybe looking out for his health to move to the next level. It's possibly time to sit his ass down and let the young, hungry receivers go after it. Mitch Davidson is a super great kid and should have gotten the reins 3 years ago.

Onto the defending national champs and overwhelming current #1. It's a huge task to chop these guys down. I'm not sure a perfect game is enough to do it. SDSU is loaded with MVFC big and physical player. It would be great if they are looking past us for the #1 seed. The Guins need this W for relevancy and ensuring a playoff spot. Going 8-3, I believe the flightless birds will get a seed. 7-4 we all know too well what can happen.

GooooooooGuins!!

The Yo Show
November 5th, 2023, 12:17 PM

I hope you're right, but a lot of people feel a 7-4 NDSU would get in over YSU at 7-4. Time will tell. If SIU doesn't beat NDSU though, there goes YSU's signature win now. I do agree the losses to other good teams were on the road and close so should be accounted for but I'm not sure the committee would.