PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'Em - Week 10

DFW HOYA
October 29th, 2023, 01:39 PM
Three games Saturday, with Georgetown getting a late season bye week.

Holy Cross (5-3, 3-1) at Lehigh (2-6, 1-2), 12:00 pm
Colgate (3-5, 1-2) at Lafayette (7-1, 3-0) , 12:30 pm
Bucknell (3-5, 1-3) at Fordham (5-3, 1-2), 1:00 pm

The Cats
October 29th, 2023, 01:39 PM
Holy Cross (5-3, 3-1) at Lehigh (2-6, 1-2), 12:00 pm
Colgate (3-5, 1-2) at Lafayette (7-1, 3-0) , 12:30 pm
Bucknell (3-5, 1-3) at Fordham (5-3, 1-2), 1:00 pm

bonarae
October 29th, 2023, 04:53 PM
Holy Cross
Lafayette
Fordham

NY Crusader 2010
October 29th, 2023, 05:24 PM
Holy Cross 35 Lehigh 27
Lafayette 44 Colgate 17
Fordham 59 Bucknell 28

pardfan
October 29th, 2023, 06:48 PM
Holy Cross 24 Lehigh 14 HC should have edge in PL games
Bucknell 28 Fordham 20 OU transfer stats v. Colgate...scary
Colgate 21 Lafayette 9 Leopards have 3 wins in Easton since '95 v. CU

Bill
October 29th, 2023, 08:43 PM

Wow! That's a good stat. Geez, that's almost 1 win every 10 years at home...

Pards Rule
October 30th, 2023, 06:13 AM
I was just discussing this most surprising Pard team with the college friend I went to the game with on the drive back from DC yesterday afternoon (and listening to the Eagles on Commodores flagship station BIG 100.3), and Troxell has a very good chance to match or even surpass Leopards best record since 1981, 9-2, set Bill Russo's first year. I think you have to go back to the 1948 team to find a record of 9 wins or more? That was the famous Sun Bowl team that wasnt (and rightly so). I think it would make a great movie that 1949 Sun Bowl scenario, calling it "In the Shadow of the Sun"....CUT! And no I havent been drinking at 7AM lol

Pards Rule
October 30th, 2023, 06:16 AM
Wow! That's a good stat. Geez, that's almost 1 win every 10 years at home...

Bill, recall the Leopards had some real issues with Colgate in Russo's early years when he had outstanding teams. I didnt see one Pard victory my time there (80-84). My senior year, Oct 29, 1983, they beat us in Easton 21-7 but it really wasnt that close. They pushed us around all game.

Franks Tanks
October 30th, 2023, 08:47 AM
My fellow Pard fans, have some confidence! We didn’t play extremely well against Georgetown, but still led comfortably the bulk of the game. This is a team that expects to win, but is not taking any opponent lightly.

Colgate is struggling mightily, giving up 34 points and 400 yards to Bucknell in the 1st half. We win 2 out of the remaining 3 and we’re league champs. I suspect the team is laser focused to bring it home.

pardfan
October 30th, 2023, 10:07 AM
Lafayette has lost or tied (2).........76.4% of the time (v. Colgate) since Day One of my Lafayette football fan experience.

For sure, these are not the 1932 Colgate Red Raiders. ("Red" came from their brand new maroon uniforms.)

IslandPard
October 30th, 2023, 12:12 PM
The availability of Olivas and Curtis is key to us running the table. I didn't see the Gtown game but heard they didn't play. ???

Pards Rule
October 30th, 2023, 01:04 PM
The availability of Olivas and Curtis is key to us running the table. I didn't see the Gtown game but heard they didn't play. ???

Both started. I know Curtis got hurt. I dont believe Olivas?

Pards Rule
October 30th, 2023, 01:08 PM
My fellow Pard fans, have some confidence! We didn’t play extremely well against Georgetown, but still led comfortably the bulk of the game. This is a team that expects to win, but is not taking any opponent lightly.

Colgate is struggling mightily, giving up 34 points and 400 yards to Bucknell in the 1st half. We win 2 out of the remaining 3 and we’re league champs. I suspect the team is laser focused to bring it home.

And presumbaly we would host a playoff game vs UT-Martin, Nova, Western Carolina or Holy Cross but I doubt committee will do a Patriot rematch. This assuming we run the table here.

Ivytalk
October 30th, 2023, 01:27 PM
The Cross
The Pards
The Rams

ngineer
October 30th, 2023, 02:33 PM
I think the Bucknell game could be a lot closer than you think, and I won't be shocked at an upset by the Bison. The Bucknell team who romped at Colgate had a different qb, who I think is a transfer from Oklahoma. He didn't play against Lehigh. So I sense another Coffey Stadium high scoring affair. Further, after Fordham's razor thin loss to the 'saders, their heads might not be totally focused as any long shot of winning the League also went out the window last week. Still, "on paper", the Rams should win, at home. If this were in Lewisburg, I'd be inclined to go for the upset. Since this will be in 'da Bronx', I go with the Rams, 52-49.

The 'gate got "all shook up" by 'nell last week, so can they get their 'swivel' back? The challenge of knocking off the league front runner should always get the competitive juices running and, as this is the Patriot League, upsets are not unusual. In the year everyone was virtually "mailing in" Holy Cross's championship ballot in August, things happen. Again, I'm going with the Leotards because they are home and should have enough juice to overcome any possible sense of entitlement to the crown. They should not be satisfied with having their first winning season in 14 years. I, again, go with home field. Laughyette, 31-27.

How many of Lehigh's wounded have gotten to heal up and be able to take the field this Saturday will go a ways toward how this game will go. Currently, no precipitation forecast for Saturday and should be typical chilly day in the shadow of South Mountain. With the 'saders' close call with Fordham, and Fordham squeaking by Lehigh two weeks earlier, one might think this could be a 'closer than you think game'. I am assuming Sluka will be playing, as I have never heard 'officially' why he didn't play against Fordham. Is Lehigh capable of having an 'earthquake' game that shakes the PL football world? Yes. Are they likely to do it? No. Having one of the youngest rosters in the FCS with almost a dozen freshmen starting or logging significant minutes, mental mistakes have cost the Mountain Hawks three games this year. Similar number of mistakes this week and 'saders will win by 24. I am banking on Cahill to have the guys focused on this home stretch to set the table for next year. We have some excellent commits already for next year, and a major upset would really get the expectations regenerated for '24. Mountain Hawks keep building The Nest with a battle; leaving the field at Goodman on the short end of at 38-34 score, but with the realization of who they can be...again.

NY Crusader 2010
October 30th, 2023, 03:23 PM
And presumbaly we would host a playoff game vs UT-Martin, Nova, Western Carolina or Holy Cross but I doubt committee will do a Patriot rematch. This assuming we run the table here.

They won't do a league rematch in the Round of 24. But if you guys finish 10-1 (10-0 FCS) and potentially grab the 8 seed, you guys could potentially host the winner of Holy Cross-Duquesne, or Fordham-Duquesne for example. Going to be a long shot to grab a seed, but not impossible.

Fingers crossed the PL is a two-bid league again.

Franks Tanks
October 30th, 2023, 03:46 PM
They won't do a league rematch in the Round of 24. But if you guys finish 10-1 (10-0 FCS) and potentially grab the 8 seed, you guys could potentially host the winner of Holy Cross-Duquesne, or Fordham-Duquesne for example. Going to be a long shot to grab a seed, but not impossible.

Fingers crossed the PL is a two-bid league again.

We’re getting close. Success in the playoffs seems to help, so you guys did your part last year. Was 2013 the last year we got 2 teams in?

crusader11
October 30th, 2023, 03:49 PM
We’re getting close. Success in the playoffs seems to help, so you guys did your part last year. Was 2013 the last year we got 2 teams in?

Fordham and HC in 2022. Colgate and Fordham went in either 2014 or 2015.

pardfan
October 31st, 2023, 08:02 PM
As LC approaches a game against a longtime rival (Colgate-dating back to 1906), I thought I'd check out some other relationships that go even farther back.
Penn 1882 Lehigh 1884 Brown 1901

Rutgers 1882 Columbia 1889 Georgetown 1902

Bucknell 1883 Navy 1891 Fordham 1903

Princeton 1883 Villanova 1898 Penn State 1889

Sader87
October 31st, 2023, 09:11 PM
As LC approaches a game against a longtime rival (Colgate-dating back to 1906), I thought I'd check out some other relationships that go even farther back.
Penn State 1882 Lehigh 1884 Brown 1901

Rutgers 1882 Columbia 1889 Georgetown 1902

Bucknell 1883 Navy 1891 Fordham 1903

Princeton 1883 Villanova 1898

Holy Cross 1986....the bygone days of New Coke and Alf xdrunkyx

IslandPard
November 1st, 2023, 10:11 AM
Both started. I know Curtis got hurt. I dont believe Olivas?

I just watched the replay. Who needs work!!?? We're 7-1...holy s**t!!

Curtis was hit in the thigh. I'm hoping they sat him for the rest of the game just in case. Olivas got hurt during the pick six. That was non-contact soooo... xdontknowx

Wolffan
November 1st, 2023, 12:54 PM
I think the Bucknell game could be a lot closer than you think, and I won't be shocked at an upset by the Bison. The Bucknell team who romped at Colgate had a different qb, who I think is a transfer from Oklahoma. He didn't play against Lehigh. So I sense another Coffey Stadium high scoring affair. Further, after Fordham's razor thin loss to the 'saders, their heads might not be totally focused as any long shot of winning the League also went out the window last week. Still, "on paper", the Rams should win, at home. If this were in Lewisburg, I'd be inclined to go for the upset. Since this will be in 'da Bronx', I go with the Rams, 52-49.

Agree that Fordham (who lost to a Sluka-less HC offense and frosh-heavy HC defense at home) is ripe for another loss. Bucknell's QB was okay v Holy Cross earlier this year. But Rams have an overall better roster. Agree Fordham will likely win.

NY Crusader 2010
November 1st, 2023, 07:01 PM
Interesting thought: when was the last time Bucknell beat Fordham? Rams seem to REALLY have had their number recently, speaking specifically about margin of victory. Even the bad Fordham defenses seem to perform well against the Bison.

I think the Rams win going away, especially since they are still playing for a potential playoff berth. Season's not over yet.

crusader11
November 1st, 2023, 07:08 PM
Interesting thought: when was the last time Bucknell beat Fordham? Rams seem to REALLY have had their number recently, speaking specifically about margin of victory. Even the bad Fordham defenses seem to perform well against the Bison.

I think the Rams win going away, especially since they are still playing for a potential playoff berth. Season's not over yet.

The year Tom Masella went 1-10, guessing.

Wolffan
November 2nd, 2023, 06:29 AM

I think the Rams win going away, especially since they are still playing for a potential playoff berth. Season's not over yet. Don’t necessarily disagree but Fordham lost to Georgetown for the first time in five-ish years. [And followed that up with a 3-point win versus woeful Lehigh.] That bad loss is hard to explain in the context of trying to get in the playoff discussion.

crusader11
November 2nd, 2023, 08:56 AM
Don’t necessarily disagree but Fordham lost to Georgetown for the first time in five-ish years. [And followed that up with a 3-point win versus woeful Lehigh.] That bad loss is hard to explain in the context of trying to get in the playoff discussion.

I didn't think there was a chance that an 8-3 Fordham could get in as an at-large, but upon looking closer, they have an interesting resume that warrants further consideration.

- Win over FBS Buffalo (this will look better if Buffalo wins out and wins the MAC East)
- Win over PL Champ Lafayette
- Win over SBU (they're awful, but still CAA)

It's the Georgetown loss that I don't think they'll be able to overcome. Also, if HC ends up winning out and is 8-3, I don't see any way the committee could slide Fordham in over HC, given the head-to-head. And, there's absolutely zero shot the PL is getting two at-large teams.

NY Crusader 2010
November 2nd, 2023, 03:37 PM
I didn't think there was a chance that an 8-3 Fordham could get in as an at-large, but upon looking closer, they have an interesting resume that warrants further consideration.

- Win over FBS Buffalo (this will look better if Buffalo wins out and wins the MAC East)

It's the Georgetown loss that I don't think they'll be able to overcome. Also, if HC ends up winning out and is 8-3, I don't see any way the committee could slide Fordham in over HC, given the head-to-head. And, there's absolutely zero shot the PL is getting two at-large teams.

Stony Brook win means jack, regardless of what league they play in. CAA ain't what it was 10 years ago, anyway. I agree with you if both teams are 8-3 I don't think there's any shot Fordham gets in over us. Wed' both have an FBS win. Plus our head-to-head (won by us on the ROAD without our starting QB) and 3pt loss to a likely bowl-bound ACC team have to factor in too, right?

If it somehow came down to 8-3 Fordham v. 7-4 Holy Cross (it won't) => 100% Fordham obviously, even with the head to head. Fordham would have beaten Lafayette on the road, while we lost to the Leopards at home. And they'd be 1-0 against FBS and us 0-2. No question.

The Boogie Down
November 2nd, 2023, 03:43 PM

The second we came up short during the two point conversion attempt I started thinking about all the different at-large scenarios. It doesn't look good. And the prospects of two at-large PL teams are less than zero. My only hope is winning out and hoping other teams outside the PL start beating each other. Finally, Lafayette needs to lose another game. If we beat the Leopards and one other team (either Colgate or Lehigh) does the same, THEN Holy Cross would go in as league champ and I can kinda/sorta see Fordham getting an at-large as a second place PL finisher. That's about it.

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2023, 07:49 PM
I was just discussing this most surprising Pard team with the college friend I went to the game with on the drive back from DC yesterday afternoon (and listening to the Eagles on Commodores flagship station BIG 100.3), and Troxell has a very good chance to match or even surpass Leopards best record since 1981, 9-2, set Bill Russo's first year. I think you have to go back to the 1948 team to find a record of 9 wins or more? That was the famous Sun Bowl team that wasnt (and rightly so). I think it would make a great movie that 1949 Sun Bowl scenario, calling it "In the Shadow of the Sun"....CUT! And no I havent been drinking at 7AM lol

You have to go back even further... 1899 was the last time we won double-digit games, when we finished 12-1 (guess the lone loss). This is seared into my memory after looking it up long ago because Lehigh has seemingly won double-digit games in multiple years since 1998 effortlessly, while Lafayette always seems to top out at 8 wins. 1981 is indeed the last high water mark... but double digit wins was not really possible for ~80 years because teams started scheduling only 8 or 9 games per year after WWI. Lafayette's 1921, 1926 title teams and 1940 team went 9-0. We were 8-0 in 1937. I think the Sun Bowl team was only 7-2. I do not even want to think what's possible because Colgate, Fordham, and Lehigh are all going to be very tough games and have seemed less organized since the Princeton game.

Some great Pard teams topped out at 8 wins... I think in 1988, 1992, 2004, 2005, 2009... those Tavani teams were capable of so much more but we know how the Frankosaurus goes...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 2nd, 2023, 07:53 PM
Lafayette 38 Colgate 21
Fordham 58 Bucknell 34
Holy Cross 31 Lehigh 20 - I have not seen enough from Silbor and Lehigh's offense to suggest they can take advantage of the Crusaders' shaky secondary. I do think Lehigh's defense will offer some resistance so long as they don't give up numerous big plays.

Pard4Life
November 2nd, 2023, 07:53 PM
Holy Cross 1986....the bygone days of New Coke and Alf xdrunkyx

Alf.... HEY!

Pards Rule
November 3rd, 2023, 09:49 AM
You have to go back even further... 1899 was the last time we won double-digit games, when we finished 12-1 (guess the lone loss). This is seared into my memory after looking it up long ago because Lehigh has seemingly won double-digit games in multiple years since 1998 effortlessly, while Lafayette always seems to top out at 8 wins. 1981 is indeed the last high water mark... but double digit wins was not really possible for ~80 years because teams started scheduling only 8 or 9 games per year after WWI. Lafayette's 1921, 1926 title teams and 1940 team went 9-0. We were 8-0 in 1937. I think the Sun Bowl team was only 7-2. I do not even want to think what's possible because Colgate, Fordham, and Lehigh are all going to be very tough games and have seemed less organized since the Princeton game.

Some great Pard teams topped out at 8 wins... I think in 1988, 1992, 2004, 2005, 2009... those Tavani teams were capable of so much more but we know how the Frankosaurus goes...

Correct, Tavani topped out at 8 wins

pardfan
November 3rd, 2023, 10:29 AM
Just thinking of the old days of the Lafayette Fan Forum. Witty stuff...hardly "low noise." In the eyes of the moderator, everybody was packin' heat, I guess. The Cobb and Ruth of the sports forum set would be (are?) pleased with the season so far.

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2023, 08:52 PM
Just thinking of the old days of the Lafayette Fan Forum. Witty stuff...hardly "low noise." In the eyes of the moderator, everybody was packin' heat, I guess. The Cobb and Ruth of the sports forum set would be (are?) pleased with the season so far.

There is a new one, however not sure the old gang is aware of it, nor cares. COVID changed alot of things, including our board patronage. Loved our board... carney's curmudgeonry, Andy's recruiting tracking, flyfisher's optimism, Bogie's memes. Franksosaurus. Curses. Lehigh roasting.

Pard4Life
November 3rd, 2023, 08:55 PM

This game is also a quasi-curse game. We just do not beat Colgate. We have not beaten Colgate 2 years in a row since 30 years ago. I have also seen a few games where weird things have happened, or the Frankosaurus reared its head. No doubt, tomorrow will be a battle.

Ivytalk
November 3rd, 2023, 09:34 PM
There is a new one, however not sure the old gang is aware of it, nor cares. COVID changed alot of things, including our board patronage. Loved our board... carney's curmudgeonry, Andy's recruiting tracking, flyfisher's optimism, Bogie's memes. Franksosaurus. Curses. Lehigh roasting.

Whatever happened to carney2? I went to a Harvard-Lafayette game with him at Fisher back in 2011, and he kept me laughing the whole time.

Leopard Loyalist
November 3rd, 2023, 11:43 PM
Holy Cross 42 Lehigh 21
Lafayette 31 Colgate 24
Fordham 39 Bucknell 28

Go...gate
November 4th, 2023, 12:01 AM
Holy Cross 37, Lehigh 22

Lafayette 30, Colgate 14

Fordham 44, Bucknell 17

pardfan
November 4th, 2023, 03:57 AM

bethlehempard was another big favorite. Lotta pride in the fact that they were Lafayette fans, too. (Not to say there aren't a lot of non-Pards who make AGS a fun read.)

IslandPard
November 4th, 2023, 08:10 AM
HC 48 - Doo-Doo Brown 21

Fordham 42 - Bucknell 35

LC 35 - 'Gate 21

*Not confident on ANY of the above. This time of year is all about injuries. If Olivas is out, we could have a long day against that zone-read.

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 08:13 AM
HC 48 - Doo-Doo Brown 21

Fordham 42 - Bucknell 35

LC 35 - 'Gate 21

*Not confident on ANY of the above. This time of year is all about injuries. If Olivas is out, we could have a long day against that zone-read.

True that...whats the Colgate spread anyone?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 08:47 AM
Two big Nooners today! Holy Cross at Lehigh and K-State at Texas!

Any word if Sluka is starting today? Honestly, I don't think it matters all that much. The Crusaders are going to score at least 30 regardless who is under center so Lehigh (Cahill and Hunt) better come prepared with a great plan on "O". Silbor and the offense needs to have a big game. With two of the better QB prospects in PA STILL committed to Lehigh it's time for Silbor to step up if he wants to be QB1 heading into next year....

pardfan
November 4th, 2023, 09:07 AM
Hard to believe how tough this league will be when Colgate and Lehigh get their act together. (That won't take forever.)

LC has led at halftime in all seven wins.

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2023, 09:33 AM
Why didn’t Sluka start last week? I’m guessing banged up from previous weeks game where he ran ball on almost every play

crusader11
November 4th, 2023, 10:33 AM
HC -22.5 // 58.5

Lafayette -16.5 // 51.5

Fordham -18.5 // 66.5

crusader11
November 4th, 2023, 10:35 AM
Why didn’t Sluka start last week? I’m guessing banged up from previous weeks game where he ran ball on almost every play

Right arm / shoulder injury.

Might have been a reason passing was limited against Lafayette.

I think we see Pesansky start today.

We will need Sluka at close to 100% to have a chance against Army.

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 10:46 AM
HC -22.5 // 58.5

Lafayette -16.5 // 51.5

Fordham -18.5 // 66.5
Thanks..oh boy tough one..

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2023, 10:52 AM
Right arm / shoulder injury.

Might have been a reason passing was limited against Lafayette.

I think we see Pesansky start today.

We will need Sluka at close to 100% to have a chance against Army.

thanks 11

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 11:06 AM
Any way to Audio stream this Colgate game free?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 11:10 AM
Lehigh 7 Holy Cross 0 11:25 1Q

Sillbor to Johnson TD, not sure the details I was watching golf/pregame shows...lol

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 11:15 AM
TD Lehigh! Silbor to Johnson again! Great one handed grab!

Lehigh 14 HC 0 10:14 1Q

caribbeanhen
November 4th, 2023, 11:26 AM
Wow

Lehigh all fired up

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 11:31 AM
Lehigh was driving again but Silbor drills his lineman in the head with a pass on 4th and 7. looked like the intended receiver was wide open....

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 11:39 AM
TD 'Cross! Big run right up the middle!

Lehigh 14 HC 7 14:51 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 11:43 AM
Things are starting to even out. Lehigh WR juggles the ball right into the Crusader defenders' hands for an INT. Crusaders will have it 1st and 10 around the Lehigh 30....

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 11:45 AM
Elijah Steward fumbles first possesion punt from Colgate at 27. Raiders take over

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 11:47 AM
After illegal hands to face 4th and 20 from Pard 22 after HUGE Preston Forney sack for 9 yards, Colgate misses 39 yd FG

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 11:48 AM
TD Cross! Excellent pass and catch!

14-14 12:34 2Q

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 11:56 AM
Pards without Curtis today. Bruce (the Moose, my nickname coined today) carrying for Pards...Pards at Colgate 20

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 11:58 AM
Pards with 37 yd FG..good, up 3-0

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 12:18 PM
TD Lehigh! Great drive!

Lehigh 21 Holy Cross 14 1:10 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 12:28 PM
Lehigh defense gets torched for another big TD play. This time on a 3rd and 15. Brutal.....

21-21 0:19 2Q

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 12:29 PM
Beautiful 95 yard scoring drive. 17-0 Pards in Easton with 8:40 to go in the second.

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 12:39 PM
Beautiful 95 yard scoring drive. 17-0 Pards in Easton with 8:40 to go in the second.

DeNobile has an arm!

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 12:56 PM
DeNobile has an arm!

He’s coming into his own. 2 turnovers for us in the 1st half were both ugly. Colgate offense is pretty limited, but would’ve been nice to get to at least another 3 on the board before half there.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 01:05 PM
Lehigh with a FG

Lehigh 24-21 8:23 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 01:11 PM
TD HC! They finally have the lead....

HC 28-24 3:56 3Q

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 01:20 PM
At half 17-0 Leopards. Following on ESPN play by play. How did DeNobile complete a pass to himself for 10 before half??

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 01:22 PM
At half 17-0 Leopards. Following on ESPN play by play. How did DeNobile complete a pass to himself for 10 before half??

Tipped back to him, it was a 10 yard loss.

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 01:28 PM
Pards put the ball on the ground on the 2nd play of the half. 3rd turnover.

Colgate had 62 yards of offense and we need to start throwing knockout punches instead of letting teams hang around.?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 01:31 PM
Lehigh returns a punt to the HC 20, however it ends in a missed FG...

HC 28 Lehigh 24 13:20 4Q

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 01:36 PM
TD Colgate on a 4th and 6 from the 30.

Horrible opening sequence for Lafayette in the 2nd half. Silly turnovers today for a team closing in on a league championship.

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 01:40 PM

Horrible opening sequence for Lafayette in the 2nd half. Silly turnovers today for a team closing in on a league championship.

Come on guys!!!!!

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 01:41 PM

All of these TOs deep in our turf

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 01:43 PM
Come on guys!!!!!

Agree, defense bailed us out on the two prior turnovers on short fields, and have been playing overall very well today. Colgate can’t run the ball at all.

We should be fine, but this is much closer than it should be right now. No we’re stopped on a 4th and less than 1 at the 43.

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 01:45 PM
FRICK! Glad I didnt bet on this!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 01:46 PM
Lehigh's defense comes up with a huge 4th and 1 stop at their own 25 or so yard line. Now it's up to the offense...

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 01:48 PM
Flea flicker completed to the 3 after the turnover on downs. Now 17-14 Lafayette. We need to remove our heads from our rear beds ASAP.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 01:48 PM
Lehigh's offense with a 3 and out. HC can go for the kill shot now. Hawks defense has to been wearing out....

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 01:52 PM
And now we can’t field a kickoff and get the ball at the 8 and a 3 and out.

IslandPard
November 4th, 2023, 01:53 PM
We're doing everything possible to give this game away. a 15 yard punt!!!

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 01:55 PM
We're doing everything possible to give this game away. a 15 yard punt!!!

HOW does that happen???!!

Franks Tanks
And a piss poor punt. Colgate ball at the 34. Punt and kickoff teams have been embarrassing today.

And now a Colgate TD, 21-17 Colgate.

IslandPard
Curtains...21-17 'Gate

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 01:59 PM
HC grinding out a drive......

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 01:59 PM
Curtains...21-17 'Gate

Not quite, but this series is critical.

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 02:02 PM
Now Bruce is running wild and we have a fire under our ass. Should’ve been doing that all day. 24-21 Pards.

Colgate can’t run. Time for our pass rushers to pin it back and wreck stuff.

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 02:04 PM
HUGE TD!!!

IslandPard
November 4th, 2023, 02:04 PM
Not quite, but this series is critical.

I misspoke (typed). I wasn't calling the game. It just seemed like we've given up....until that drive! Let's see if the D can wake up.

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 02:05 PM
And a Colgate return to the 45. May as well kick the ball out of bounds and fair catch every kickoff at this point.

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 02:05 PM
Now Bruce is running wild and we have a fire under our ass. Should’ve been doing that all day. 24-21 Pards.

Colgate can’t run. Time for our pass rushers to pin it back and wreck stuff.

Shaeffer! Who else?? Come on!!!!

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 02:06 PM
I misspoke (typed). I wasn't calling the game. It just seemed like we've given up....until that drive! Let's see if the D can wake up.
I hear ya. D had been put in horrible positions all day.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 02:06 PM
HC can take a knee and run out the clock. Lehigh just can't get over the hump in these games. Same script over and over....

The Crusaders do not look like a playoff team. I don't see them beating Army even with a healthy Sluka.

Holy Cross 28 Lehigh 24 Final

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 02:07 PM
Bruce the Moose needs to cut a huge one

IslandPard
November 4th, 2023, 02:15 PM
Defense is confused and on skates. Borderline embarrassing at this point.

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 02:17 PM
HC can take a knee and run out the clock. Lehigh just can't get over the hump in these games. Same script over and over....

The Crusaders do not look like a playoff team. I don't see them beating Army even with a healthy Sluka.

Holy Cross 28 Lehigh 24 Final

Nah, nor do the leopards but somebody’s gotta win this thing. Colgate scores again 28-24. Lose today, and no way we win the next 2 so Cross may just sneak in another one.

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 02:22 PM
Colgate TD, They are up 28-24

- - - Updated - - -

Bruce the Moose need to rumble

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 02:27 PM
Now the QB fumbles and we miraculously recover at our 1. Colgate will have excellent field position again.

Edit, they called sideline interference on Colgate. So they’ll have the ball at the 41. We’re just about toast.

This is just depressing now. The worst 2nd half of football in the Troxell era by a mile. I didn’t think these guys were capable of laying such an egg with a league title on the line.

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 02:30 PM
Colgate at the 17, a TD here will do it. FG gives us a shot.

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 02:31 PM
Now the QB fumbles and we miraculously recover at our 1. Colgate will have excellent field position again.

Edit, they called sideline interference on Colgate. So they’ll have the ball at the 41. We’re just about toast.

This is just depressing now. The worst 2nd half of football in the Troxell era by a mile. I didn’t think these guys were capable of laying such an egg with a league title on the line.
HOW? we were at our 35> trying to follow ESPN stats

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 02:33 PM
Army is up 20-0 on undefeated Air Force in 2Q!

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 02:34 PM
HOW? we were at our 35> trying to follow ESPN stats

Dinoble fumbled in the pocket and there was a made scramble for the ball. Big John O somehow managed to recover at the 1

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 02:37 PM
31-24 Colgate, and now 4th down and 5 for us at the 30. Offense did basically nothing all 2nd half. This is a D that got smoked by Bucknell last week!

IslandPard
November 4th, 2023, 02:38 PM
I just don't understand that decision by Denobile. A throw behind the LOS and there was NO WAY Persing makes 2 guys miss. Total headscratcher.

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 02:39 PM
Punted away, Gate will the ball at their 32. Probably worst starting field position all day.

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 02:41 PM
I just don't understand that decision by Denobile. A throw behind the LOS and there was NO WAY Persing makes 2 guys miss. Total headscratcher.

Seems like he’s really pressing today with Jamar out?

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 02:42 PM
Punted away, Gate will the ball at their 32. Probably worst starting field position all day.

PUNT??!! John, please! Should be slant to Gilbert

IslandPard
November 4th, 2023, 02:46 PM
Probably. Throw in some terrible decisions too.

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 02:47 PM

PUNT??!! John, please! Should be slant to Gilbert
Right calm imo. 3 minutes left, we have the ball at the 47

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 02:49 PM
ZOOM 86 to Steward on jet sweep NOW

- - - Updated - - -

I wrote that play to John

Franks Tanks
November 4th, 2023, 02:50 PM

4th and 5 with 2:15. This will be it.

Anyone think we can beat Fordham and Lehigh, or one of them the way we played today?

We did get the 1st. Edit, it’s under review.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 02:58 PM
Pards knocking on the door!

pardfan
November 4th, 2023, 02:59 PM
Having a team in the FCS top 20 with punting below the FCS top 50 doesn't work for very long IMO.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 03:01 PM
TD Pards and XP is good!

Tie game!

IslandPard
November 4th, 2023, 03:02 PM
Smart play for the XP. But with the way our D playing I would've gone for 2.

Sader87
Colgate absolutely screwed in this game....ridiculous

crusader11
Investigate this officiating crew in Easton.

Colgate has been cheated.

Kid for Lafayette was close to a full yard short of the line to gain.

Sader87
November 4th, 2023, 03:06 PM
Nevah mind the personal foul call picked up....

crusader11
November 4th, 2023, 03:11 PM
Nevah mind the personal foul call picked up....

LSN didn’t show the replay of the personal foul. Only showed one replay of the cheating by the officials.

I can understand not wanting to show those plays again.

IslandPard
November 4th, 2023, 03:12 PM
Bad decision again by Denobile

IslandPard
November 4th, 2023, 03:14 PM
Can the swiss cheese D hold them?

Southsider
Just got home from LU game. Overall, much better performance. Yoder continues to impress. Silbor just doesn’t have it. Cahill up by 3, shows an onside kick, then actually tries it. Gave HC ball in LU territory. HC scores and took over the game. A real head scratcher.

crusader11
Ball don’t lie.

Sader87
Justice prevails....

IslandPard
November 4th, 2023, 03:16 PM
4th and 5 with 2:15. This will be it.

Anyone think we can beat Fordham and Lehigh, or one of them the way we played today?

We did get the 1st. Edit, it’s under review.

No way we beat Fordham. Even Lehigh is questionable.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 4th, 2023, 03:19 PM
Wow, what a win by 'Gate! Stan is the Wayne Fontes of the PL!!

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 03:24 PM
Congrats Colgate. Russo record will stand

Lehigh'98
November 4th, 2023, 03:26 PM
Lafayette had looked like a top 10-15 team with a legit D most of the year. Thought they could win a game or two in playoffs. Today they looked like a middling PL that would be a one and done.

Holy Cross really has regressed badly on defense this year. Good for Colgate and Lehigh for improving, but the games shouldn’t have been this close today.

Sader87
November 4th, 2023, 03:44 PM
Lafayette had looked like a top 10-15 team with a legit D most of the year. Thought they could win a game or two in playoffs. Today they looked like a middling PL that would be a one and done.

Holy Cross really has regressed badly on defense this year. Good for Colgate and Lehigh for improving, but the games shouldn’t have been this close today.

Holy Cross' D was young and inexperienced this year to start with....lots of injuries hasn't helped mattahs.

That being said, they have won 2 straight PL road games with their back-up QB....lot of resiliency in this group.

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Didnt warch game but TRIED to follow on ESPN stats (yeah good luck with that)..Anyways congrats to Colgate. We just lost any chance of hosting home playoff for first time ever. Focus on last two to tie Russo first season record in 1981 at 9-2.

crusader11
November 4th, 2023, 03:49 PM
Fordham still has a glimmer of hope at an at-large.

Next week in Easton will be an absolute war. Lafayette trying to hang onto the auto-bid; Fordham trying to reach eight wins.

Crazy to think that a Fordham win and then HC is a win against Georgetown at home from winning the league.

Wolffan
November 4th, 2023, 04:20 PM
Holy Cross winning without Sluka (Patriot League preseason offensive player of the year), without Dobbs (Patriot League preseason defensive player of the year), and with a whole raft of frosh on defense is impressive. And kept things close. Probably the smart thing to do is keep those hobbled two stars on the bench versus Army, bring them back for Georgetown (if they are healthy enough to go), and go all out for the auto bid.

Colgate win was a bit of a surprise but not a shock. Colgate's been improving.

crusader11
November 4th, 2023, 04:40 PM
Holy Cross winning without Sluka (Patriot League preseason offensive player of the year), without Dobbs (Patriot League preseason defensive player of the year), and with a whole raft of frosh on defense is impressive. And kept things close. Probably the smart thing to do is keep those hobbled two stars on the bench versus Army, bring them back for Georgetown (if they are healthy enough to go), and go all out for the auto bid.

Totally disagree.

What happens when Lafayette beats Fordham and Lehigh? Now don’t we look pretty foolish for not putting our best guys against Army?

I fully expect Dobbs and Sluka to be back next week.

Colgate TD
November 4th, 2023, 05:02 PM
Congrats to the Raiders! Way to hang in there til the end. Gotta knock off LU and Fordham to make this a reasonably good year, and save Stan's job.

Wolffan
November 4th, 2023, 05:47 PM
Totally disagree.

What happens when Lafayette beats Fordham and Lehigh? Now don’t we look pretty foolish for not putting our best guys against Army?

I fully expect Dobbs and Sluka to be back next week.

I don't. And for a couple of reasons.

crusader11
November 4th, 2023, 05:53 PM
I don't. And for a couple of reasons.

But they could.

And are you not going to go down swinging with your best guys?

Plus, it’s not like playing Sluka and Dobbs against Army means HC will then lose at home to Georgetown.

Go...gate
November 4th, 2023, 06:56 PM
Colgate never gave up. Very proud of my Red Raiders.

Go...gate
November 4th, 2023, 06:59 PM
Congrats to the Raiders! Way to hang in there til the end. Gotta knock off LU and Fordham to make this a reasonably good year, and save Stan's job.

In the conference this year, who knows? Everyone has been beating the crap out of each other!

Go...gate
November 4th, 2023, 08:22 PM
I'm happy for Dakosty. He probably didn't save his job, but he encouraged his players to keep plugging away. That is a hallmark of good coaching and leadership.

ngineer
November 4th, 2023, 08:41 PM
I am proud of the way the Lehigh guys fought today. Like a few other games this year, there were some "coulda, shoulda" moments, but to take the 'saders deep into the fourth quarter and have the game's outcome still in doubt was not what most people expected. Cross's OL won this game. They overpowered our DL, especially in the fourth quarter. We're just not big enough, and deep enough, up front. The absence of Sluka, imo, made no difference as the #2 QB is a better passer. He had some excellent ropes--especially the TD toss just before the half that was a psychological killer. Would have been great going into the half with a 7 point lead, knowing Cross was receiving to open the third quarter. Football is a game of emotional swings and momentum, especially when you are trying to pull a big upset. Would have liked to see a bit more blitzing as the the QB had way too much time. One of the few blitzes resulted in a big fumble, which led to Lehigh's go ahead FG in the third (would have been up by 10 but for the TD bomb before half). Hopefully, this game is used as another building block to get the program turned around. The 'tundra' will be tough place next week, but pulling out a win would be great heading into #159. Next couple weeks should be entertaining!

pardfan
November 5th, 2023, 06:21 AM
Field goal kicking is a big deal in football. It can mean the difference between winning and losing. Punting--yawn--and kicking off--yawn, yawn--are the potted plants of football. Put another way, special teams are just something you do.
So, last year LC had IMO some of the worst kicking in FCS. Mike Joseph on the Lafayette broadcasts last year would WINCE every time kicking and "special teams" were even mentioned! I think, if you asked him if kicking cost us two wins in 2022, he would say, "Absolutely."
You figure, then, that LC would come into 2023 with a major kicking overhaul. New field goal kicker? Check. New kickoff guy? Check kinda. New Punter? Well not exactly. But this year WILL BE DIFFERENT.

Football is as much about position on the field as it is about anything else. Drives starting at your 40 stand a good chance of resulting in points. Starting at your 20? Not so much.

Our field goal kicking has been good this year. Our play, in general, has been quite good this year. But to have gone into this year with a 32 yard punting average and improve to 36 is not good enough when the best fcs punter is doing 50. Yesterday the Colgate punter had a 9 yard advantage per kick. He kicked it nine times. That's a lot of yards. We kicked about five times. Fifteen yard kicks and 28 yard kicks--which we witnessed yesterday--are killers.

I give Coach Troxell credit for all the good stuff. (And, after all, we played without the #5 running back in fcs.) Not fixing the punting and kickoff game in the off-season...no excuse for that.

NY Crusader 2010
November 5th, 2023, 06:29 AM

Army is still a MUST-WIN for us unless we assume that either Fordham or Lehigh upsets Lafayette. Every game now is a playoff game. If Sluka and Dobbs can't go, they can't go. But if they can, we have to give ourselves the best chance to win both remaining regular season games at this point.

I think Massey has Fordham favored over Lafayette somehow. Emotions, psychology and external pressures aside, I personally think the raw matchup favors the Leopards. If they can slow down the Fordham passing game even a little bit, they win by 10-14 points IMO. Montes will have to have a game like he had against us.

Pard4Life
November 5th, 2023, 07:46 AM
THE CURSE LIVES! Frank Tavani showed up, and the Frankosaurus reared its head. That was an all-around poor effort by Lafayette. The defense was a mess. Offense was predictable and uninspired. We lost that game in the 2Q when could not capitalize. Special teams mistakes. MENTAL mistakes everywhere. Did they want to play today? We had issues on defense and they were finally exposed. TBH I do not think we win another game this year. Fordham is pass-happy and we probably could not defend a pee-wee team. Lehigh is Lehigh. This is more than we thought LC would achieve but the meltdown yesterday was nauseating. 17-0 at half and you lose! 7-4 is a good achievement for this program... which is sad.

Pards Rule
November 5th, 2023, 07:57 AM
Field goal kicking is a big deal in football. It can mean the difference between winning and losing. Punting--yawn--and kicking off--yawn, yawn--are the potted plants of football. Put another way, good punting and kicking off are luxury items.
So, last year LC had IMO some of the worst kicking in FCS. Mike Joseph on the Lafayette broadcasts last year would WINCE every time kicking and "special teams" were even mentioned! I think, if you asked him if kicking cost us two wins in 2022, he would say, "Absolutely."
You figure, then, that LC would come into 2023 with a major kicking overhaul. New field goal kicker? Check. New kickoff guy? Check kinda. New Punter? Well not exactly. But this year WILL BE DIFFERENT.

Football is as much about position on the field as it is about anything else. Drives starting at your 40 stand a good chance of resulting in points. Starting at your 20? Not so much.

Our field goal kicking has been good this year. Our play, in general, has been quite good this year. But to have gone into this year with a 32 yard punting average and improve to 36 is not good enough when the best fcs punter is doing 50. Yesterday the Colgate punter had a 9 yard advantage per kick. He kicked it nine times. That's a lot of yards. We kicked about five times. Fifteen yard kicks and 28 yard kicks--which we witnessed yesterday--are killers.

I give Coach Troxell credit for all the good stuff. (And, after all, we played without the #5 running back in fcs.) Not fixing the punting and kickoff game in the off-season...no excuse for that.

STs have been an issue for years. I understand there is no ST coordinator? Who is doing this duty then?

- - - Updated - - -

THE CURSE LIVES! Frank Tavani showed up, and the Frankosaurus reared its head. That was an all-around poor effort by Lafayette. The defense was a mess. Offense was predictable and uninspired. We lost that game in the 2Q when could not capitalize. Special teams mistakes. MENTAL mistakes everywhere. Did they want to play today? We had issues on defense and they were finally exposed. TBH I do not think we win another game this year. Fordham is pass-happy and we probably could not defend a pee-wee team. Lehigh is Lehigh. This is more than we thought LC would achieve but the meltdown yesterday was nauseating. 17-0 at half and you lose! 7-4 is a good achievement for this program... which is sad.

When was the last time we beat Colgate back to back?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Pard4Life
November 5th, 2023, 08:03 AM

1995! No excuse for not beating that program either with more regularity.

NY Crusader 2010
November 5th, 2023, 08:24 AM

You guys will be fine, I think. You guys had a mulligan at your disposal and you used it against Colgate. Although the way you lost was awful. Coughed up a 17-0 lead and then blow it in OT after being gifted that ridiculous 1st down spot on the final drive. Justice was served IMO, but not good for the psyche heading into the week.

Fordham looms and will be hungry. Honestly, I think the matchup favors you guys, as long as your defense can slow down their offense just a little bit. And Lehigh is still a bad Patriot League team, mediocre at best. On paper, you guys should beat them 31-7 this year. Of course, nothing "on paper" matters when it comes to "The Game".

pardfan
November 5th, 2023, 12:05 PM
PardsRule, the Chicago Bears started the season with 28 coaches. No discernible impact.

Pard4Life
November 5th, 2023, 04:40 PM
Appreciate the confidence, however...

Honestly, I think the matchup favors you guys, as long as your defense can slow down their offense just a little bit.
... we were run over by Colgate's quotidian offense and withstood second half surges by Holy Cross and Georgetown. If the offense is not capable of getting into a shootout, Fordham will prevail comfortably.

Pards Rule
November 6th, 2023, 06:34 AM
1995! No excuse for not beating that program either with more regularity.

So 1994 and 1995 - I so recall starting in 1994 at 0-6 and then running table on Patriot to go 5-6. That was the year the Pard famously got into fisticuffs with Lehigh fans on the home side in Easton. Thats longer than Dallas has won a SB!! GO BIRDS!!!

Pards Rule
November 6th, 2023, 06:37 AM
Appreciate the confidence, however...

... we were run over by Colgate's quotidian offense and withstood second half surges by Holy Cross and Georgetown. If the offense is not capable of getting into a shootout, Fordham will prevail comfortably.

Need Curtis and Olivas back

- - - Updated - - -

PardsRule, the Chicago Bears started the season with 28 coaches. No discernible impact.

No ST coach? Pro? Yikes!

Pards Rule
November 6th, 2023, 06:39 AM
Field goal kicking is a big deal in football. It can mean the difference between winning and losing. Punting--yawn--and kicking off--yawn, yawn--are the potted plants of football. Put another way, special teams are just something you do.

We have 3 kickers...punter, FGs and kickoffs. The kickoff guy comes from my hometown and HS, Medford NJ/Shawnee HS. Have talked to his parents a few times at tailgates before games but havent met him. Trivia (tough one): Last Shawnee HS grad to be on Pards was also kicker, Who was?
Another Shawnee connection: grandfather of Elijah Steward - who I met first time at Temple game - grew up in Medford (Mefford as the locals call it lol) and Shawnee grad a few years ahead of me. Eli grew up in Galloway Twp NJ and I think is Holy Spirit grad?

Franks Tanks
November 6th, 2023, 08:38 AM
Colgate played that 2nd half with great heart. How often do teams come back from
17-0 on the “league favorite” after being dominated the whole first half (62 yards of offense). Night and day each half.

The officiating was questionable. Actually glad Colgate pulled it out (to a reasonable degree) as no team should lose due to an officiating error. Some weird calls all game. Both Colgate and Lafayette had blatant personal foul flags picked up. Can’t say I’ve ever seen that. For Colgate fans, you had a DB basically punch/jack up a Lafayette WR in the facemask. An official was standing two feet away, threw three flag, and it was picked up after a quick discussion. Same thing happened later in the opposite direction.

This crew wasn’t biased, just bad!

Pards Rule
November 9th, 2023, 10:01 AM
Colgate played that 2nd half with great heart. How often do teams come back from
17-0 on the “league favorite” after being dominated the whole first half (62 yards of offense). Night and day each half.

The officiating was questionable. Actually glad Colgate pulled it out (to a reasonable degree) as no team should lose due to an officiating error. Some weird calls all game. Both Colgate and Lafayette had blatant personal foul flags picked up. Can’t say I’ve ever seen that. For Colgate fans, you had a DB basically punch/jack up a Lafayette WR in the facemask. An official was standing two feet away, threw three flag, and it was picked up after a quick discussion. Same thing happened later in the opposite direction.

This crew wasn’t biased, just bad!

Agree FT with the premise you lay out on game not being decided. I couldnt watch but tried to follow on ESPN stats (sucks). Who was WR jacked up...Elijah?