PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Rivalries

bluedog
December 8th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Road Warrior … is writing … this … slowly … because … his readers … in Pullman … can't read … very fast.

Ha! That old joke is just a little Washington-Washington State trash talk to set up this month's column, dedicated to the college football's best rivalries for the fan/tourist. Before getting to the list, here are some basic ground rules.

Proximity matters. Yes, yes, Notre Dame versus USC is a big rivalry. But the two schools are 2,000 miles apart; how often do students or grads come into contact with each other?

There is far more at stake when the odds are high you'll actually meet a mean, no-account, semi-alcoholic, illiterate, gutless loser with halitosis from your rival school (and aren't they all like that?) who will repeatedly bring up the many recent beatdowns his team inflicted on your school. Especially if you're married to that same mean, no-account, semi-alcoholic, illiterate, gutless loser with halitosis and she/he withholds sex the week before and after the big game.
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=3119426)

CatFan22
December 8th, 2007, 12:17 PM
No Cat/griz? xnonox xnonono2x xconfusedx ;)

gophoenix
December 8th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Was curious what the top 10 I-AA rivalries are.... my thoughts:
1) Harvard/Yale
2) Grambling St/Southern
3) Montana/Montana St
4) The Citadel/VMI
5) North Dakota St/South Dakota St
6) Bethune Cookman/Florida A&M
7) NC A&T/NC Central
8) App St/Western Carolina
9) Lehigh/Lafayette
10) Richmond/William & Mary

Skjellyfetti
December 8th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I'd put Lehigh/Lafayette higher.

RadMann
December 8th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I'd say Lafayette/Lehigh #1, Yale Harvard #2, and then a bunch more to follow...

JayJ79
December 8th, 2007, 01:33 PM
NDSU/SDSU is certainly a big rivalry.
But I'm just not sure you can consider it a top I-AA rivalry, since both schools are new to the ranks of FCS football.

AggieFinn
December 8th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Sac State/UC Davis--but it's slowly fizzling away...

Cal Poly/UC Davis will turn into a classic in years to come.

asucrutch23
December 8th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I'm just interested to know how many of these "rivalries" have been historically one-sided. I know that Western Carolina has only beaten Appalachian 2 of the past 23 times. Just curious to see if any of the others have had similar results in the last few decades.

asucrutch23
December 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I'd put Lehigh/Lafayette higher.

I would have to agree. Having visited both of these schools as a prospective student, I witnessed the hatred the two have for each other. I don't think you can really say the same for App-Western.

UDChE89
December 8th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'm just interested to know how many of these "rivalries" have been historically one-sided. I know that Western Carolina has only beaten Appalachian 2 of the past 23 times. Just curious to see if any of the others have had similar results in the last few decades.

If it were truly considered a rivalry, UD-UMass would fit this description. UD has a large lead over UMass.

Villanova/UD is a big rivalry. JMU/UD is becoming one.

MountaineerGuy
December 8th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Western vs App not that big of a rivalry, IMO. Just cause there's a jug involved...

I'd almost say Furman vs App is bigger right now.

asucrutch23
December 8th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Western vs App not that big of a rivalry, IMO. Just cause there's a jug involved...

Agreed 100%.

mrklean
December 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I would have to put GSU vs. Furman in that top ten.

bluedog
December 8th, 2007, 03:02 PM

College Football Data Warehouse (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa_team_index.php)

WrenFGun
December 8th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I think UMass/UNH is turning into quite the rivalry. Let's be honest...these two fanbases don't get along, and I don't know the players get along, either. We've played each other three times in the last twelve months. It's clearly surpassed UNH/UMaine, far as I'm concerned.

ERASU2113
December 8th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Agreed.

ASU/GSU is bigger than Western right now...especially since recent years have produced amazing games.

gophoenix
December 8th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Agreed.

ASU/GSU is bigger than Western right now...especially since recent years have produced amazing games.

Those aren't rivalries, those are big games. The difference is, if GSU or Furman sucked for 20 years, App playing those would mean no more than App playing UTC or VMI.

But not matter how much App or Western sucks, that games always means something.

Engineer91
December 11th, 2007, 07:19 AM
How many of those listed would you love to see live?

For me - 3

Army-Navy
Grambling-Southern
Ohio State-Michigan in the Big House

Lets hear about some of the "big little games" out there

Ithaca College - Cortland State for the Cortica Jug

Williams-Amherst Ephs against the Lord Jeff's since 1884 and Williams is still pissed about the stolen library books. What, 1000 seats for 10,000 people?

Tribe4SF
December 11th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Hampton vs. Norfolk State

"Battle of the Bay"

OL FU
December 11th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Was curious what the top 10 I-AA rivalries are.... my thoughts:
1) Harvard/Yale
2) Grambling St/Southern
3) Montana/Montana St
4) The Citadel/VMI
5) North Dakota St/South Dakota St
6) Bethune Cookman/Florida A&M
7) NC A&T/NC Central
8) App St/Western Carolina
9) Lehigh/Lafayette
10) Richmond/William & Mary

A nice list xthumbsupx Number 4 now doesn't belong there. Any rivalry that is not going to played is no longer a rivalry. It has to be considered that VMI has now surrendered.xnodx

I agree Lehigh/ Lafayette should be higher.

ASU/WCU, I know it is a rivalry and I know there is extreme dislike but rivalries that are that lopsided probably don't belong on the list either. It doesn't mean they aren't heated or important, you just have to go xeyebrowx

No criticism, just my two cents

thirdgendin
December 11th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Those aren't rivalries, those are big games. The difference is, if GSU or Furman sucked for 20 years, App playing those would mean no more than App playing UTC or VMI.

But not matter how much App or Western sucks, that games always means something.

Using that criteria, I'd say Furman/GSU would rate higher than Furman/App, in my mind. I still put Furman/THE Citadel up there as well - probably not top 10 nationally though.

OL FU
December 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM

I think they are rivalries but they certainly don't fit in the same category as the ones you listed. Rivalries are games that you can't do without. The rivalries are newer and certainly less permanant. No way ASU/FU/GSU (any combination) compares to the other ones you listed.

appfan2008
December 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
To ASU fans/students/alumni the rivalry with furman is much bigger over the last 10-15 years than the rivalry with WCU

stevdock
December 11th, 2007, 09:06 AM
NDSU/SDSU is certainly a big rivalry.
But I'm just not sure you can consider it a top I-AA rivalry, since both schools are new to the ranks of FCS football.

The funny thing about this rivalry is that neither school would have considered each other a rival until both went to FCS. NDSU won a majority of the games between the two schools in D2 and I always considered it a pretty big upset if SDSU did beat us. Now with both schools on an even playing field with SDSU definitely improving their talent level and both teams guaranteed to play each other in the Gateway, it is a rivalry that will only continue to get better. In fact this year we play each other the last game of the season and I could see it determining which team goes to the playoffs and which stays home.

As for not being included since we are brand new to FCS, that's a bunch of crap. The last five years have proven that this is one of the better rivalries in FCS and will only continue to improve in upcoming seasons.

kardplayer
December 11th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Something to think about... if anywhere in your discussion you said a matchup is a rivalry "right now", then its not really a rivalry, its just a really good/competitive game.

Millwoch
December 11th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Using that criteria, I'd say Furman/GSU would rate higher than Furman/App, in my mind. I still put Furman/THE Citadel up there as well - probably not top 10 nationally though.

I think The Citadel/Furman rivalry is much stronger than The Citadel/VMI...we are taking a one year hiatus with VMI, but the rivalry is not even close right now. The overall series lead is in favor of The Citadel at 34-30-1, but The Citadel has won 8 of last 10 and won the last one by 42 points...(i think Webber INT would keep it close against the keydets from this past year)..FU dominates the series against The Citadel, but we keep coming back for more. In recent years even though FU has won most of them they have been close with 2 of last 3 going to OT(one to FU and one to El Cid). That has rekindled the rivalry. It should be another fun one next year up in TR.

OL FU
December 11th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I think The Citadel/Furman rivalary is much stronger than The Citadel/VMI...we are taking a one year hiatus with VMI, but the rivalary is not even close right now. The overall series lead is in favor of The Citadel at 34-30-1, but The Citadel has won 8 of last 10 and won the last one by 42 points...(i think Webber INT would keep it close against the keydets from this past year)..FU dominates the series against The Citadel, but we keep coming back for more, and in recent year even though FU has won most of them they have been close with 2 of last 3 going to OT. That has rekindled the rivalary. It should be another fun one next year up in TR.

The biggest mistake made with The Citadel/Furman rivalry was changing from the last game played every year. That coupled with Furman's dominance over the last couple of decades really harmed the rivalry. I still think it is very much a strong rivalry, but those two things in combo really hurt the strength of said rivalry.

OL FU
December 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Something to think about... if anywhere in your discussion you said a matchup is a rivalry "right now", then its not really a rivalry, its just a really good/competitive game.

I agree but that is why I say FU/GSU/ASU is a rivalry. it is year after year. however, it is not close to Lehigh/Lafayette. One of these days, GSU and/or ASU will leave the SoCon and the rivalry will be over. So it does not have the strenght of Lehigh/Lafayette, Harvard/Yale, etc.

OL FU
December 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I think The Citadel/Furman rivalry is much stronger than The Citadel/VMI...we are taking a one year hiatus with VMI, but the rivalry is not even close right now. The overall series lead is in favor of The Citadel at 34-30-1, but The Citadel has won 8 of last 10 and won the last one by 42 points...(i think Webber INT would keep it close against the keydets from this past year)..FU dominates the series against The Citadel, but we keep coming back for more. In recent years even though FU has won most of them they have been close with 2 of last 3 going to OT(one to FU and one to El Cid). That has rekindled the rivalry. It should be another fun one next year up in TR.

So the absence of VMI is only a one year deal. That is good to hear

Millwoch
December 11th, 2007, 09:23 AM
The biggest mistake made with The Citadel/Furman rivalry was changing from the last game played every year. That coupled with Furman's dominance over the last couple of decades really harmed the rivalry. I still think it is very much a strong rivalry, but those two things in combo really hurt the strength of said rivalry.

I agree OL...that November game used to be so much fun...The Citadel did that to get away from playing a team as strong as FU a week before the playoffs, but have only made the playoffs once since making that move. Next year they will have a chance at a playoff birth, but they have Florida that week. The only good thing about that is they will have warm weather and I get to see the Heisman trophy winner play...

OL FU
December 11th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I agree OL...that November game used to be so much fun...The Citadel did that to get away from playing a team as strong as FU a week before the playoffs, but have only made the playoffs once since making that move. Next year they will have a chance at a playoff birth, but they have Florida that week. The only good thing about that is they will have warm weather and I get to see the Heisman trophy winner play...

I heard that before. See what planning will get youxsmiley_wix

LUHawker
December 11th, 2007, 09:45 AM
My take:

1. Lehigh-Lafayette - I may be biased but 143 meetings between two schools just 12 miles away plus periodic rioting at the games says I'm probably not.
2. Harvard-Yale - a nice little rivaly with 127 games played. No seriously, when you sell out a 60,000+ stadium to watch the winner do nothing more than get bragging rights (ie no playoff berth), that's a rivalry.
3. Grambling-Southern
4. Montana-Montana St.
5. Bethune Cookman- Florida A&M
6. Richmond - W&M
7. Furman -GSU
8. Citadel-VMI
9. Villanova-UD
10. App St. - Western Carolina

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I think UMass/UNH is turning into quite the rivalry. Let's be honest...these two fanbases don't get along, and I don't know the players get along, either. We've played each other three times in the last twelve months. It's clearly surpassed UNH/UMaine, far as I'm concerned.

I had to chuckle Wren because to us old farts it always was and always will be UMass-UNH as the #1 rivalry. For us, UMass was always the season ending game and we had those three epic games in 1975-77 with the D-II playoff bid on the line that last weekend.

And we grew up in a world where the Black Bears didn't play ice hockey! xeekx

And for us, Homecoming was Maine one year and Vermont the other year.

Millwoch
December 11th, 2007, 09:49 AM
I heard that before. See what planning will get youxsmiley_wix

OL, I know this is true. My father was on some athletic boards during the 90s and Coach Taafe asked for that back in the early 90s...It was such an emotional game for our guys back then that it drained them for the next week mentally and physically. I can not speak for how draining it is on the FU side. I am sure it was pretty draining this year for ya. I know that there is a lot of pressure for us to win that one game. The success of a class at El Cid is based on if they beat FU. That is what makes it a rivalry!

OL FU
December 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM
OL, I know this is true. My father was on some athletic boards during the 90s and Coach Taafe asked for that back in the early 90s...It was such an emotional game for our guys back then that it drained them for the next week mentally and physically. I can not speak for how draining it is on the FU side. I am sure it was pretty draining this year for ya. I know that there is a lot of pressure for us to win that one game. The success of a class at El Cid is based on if they beat FU. That is what makes it a rivalry!

I understand but I hate that it happened. IF you ask Furman students today or recent grads, they will tell you GSU is the rival. I say that with almost 90% certainty. I understand why Taafe wanted to do it, but it was a mistake. If the series had remained close, moving the date probably would not have mattered. But the combination of the two really dampened the game for the newer alums. Hopefully, Higgins will stay and the games will be competitive which will help bring it back. Now, if we can get the game moved back to the last game of the year we can fix the problem.xnodx

Mike G.
December 11th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Nobody is posting it so i will. The bayou classic, Grambling v. Southern, is the greatest rivalry in FCS football. The schools hate eachother, the fans hate eachother, and the games are competative brawls. I have been in New Orleans on thanksgiving week, and the downtown and french quarter areas are like huge pep rallys for days before hand. The food is great, the bands are great, the atmosphere is great. Bayou classic wins.

Biff
December 11th, 2007, 10:18 AM
A nice list xthumbsupx Number 4 now doesn't belong there. Any rivalry that is not going to played is no longer a rivalry. It has to be considered that VMI has now surrendered.xnodx

I agree Lehigh/ Lafayette should be higher.

ASU/WCU, I know it is a rivalry and I know there is extreme dislike but rivalries that are that lopsided probably don't belong on the list either. It doesn't mean they aren't heated or important, you just have to go xeyebrowx

No criticism, just my two cents

INDEED.

Besides, I would rather beat Furman!

Lizzie_ASUband
December 11th, 2007, 10:18 AM
i say that asu vs. furman is a much bigger rivalry than asu v. western.

like people have said, western is only b/c the jug is involved. but with furman, its almost always a close game and so much fun to watch

OL FU
December 11th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Nobody is posting it so i will. The bayou classic, Grambling v. Southern, is the greatest rivalry in FCS football. The schools hate eachother, the fans hate eachother, and the games are competative brawls. I have been in New Orleans on thanksgiving week, and the downtown and french quarter areas are like huge pep rallys for days before hand. The food is great, the bands are great, the atmosphere is great. Bayou classic wins.

Definitely has to be top threexthumbsupx
The biggest is always the one your team is involved in.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
December 11th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Brawl of the Wild baby

A Montana tradition that is almost as old as Montana itself.

I kind of miss the Montana/Idaho rivalry too...kind of funny how the Griz don't really get a winning streak going against them until they move up to FBS then they quit playing us xlolx

Killsback
December 11th, 2007, 10:47 AM
SIU and UNI has really turned into a big rivalry. Each team has won at home the last 7 years and all the games have been really close except for one at SIU that SIU won handily. The teams respect each other and like playing against each other and the fans have a good spirited but not hateful banter when the two teams play. And both schools travel fairly well.

Eight Legger
December 11th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Even though UR-W&M will always be a special rivalry, I think most modern UR fans will tell you that JMU is a much bigger rival these days. The 40-and-over crowd will still want to beat W&M more than anyone, but those of us younger like beating JMU more. Plus our series with W&M hasn't been competitive for awhile now, and JMU and UR seem to beat each other every year at the other school's homecoming, which helps fuel a rivalry fast.

McNeese72
December 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM
McNeese has a hard time fitting in any top FCS rivalries because our fans still consider that FBS school 80 miles to the east of us as our chief bitterest rival, ULL. Of course, because they stayed I-A, they were too "good" to play us anymore. That is until this year. So after 21 years they decided to play us again.

Now after we drubbed them 38-17 (including kneel down in the redzone to run out the clock), it will probably be 21 more years before they agree to play us again. Which would be dumb on their part, because the 31,000+ crowd was the third largest crowd in their stadium history behind games when they paid big guarantees for Texas A&M and Alabama to come to town.

Their fans on their messageboard said that the rivalry was dead and the game wouldn't draw because their fans didn't care about McNeese anymore. Well, there was a "whole lot of not caring" going on in that stadium in September. :)

Doc

santosballnewhampshire
December 11th, 2007, 11:16 AM
what about unh umass?........ every year for a while it has been a great game to watch and both teams hate each other

LehighFan11
December 11th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Lehigh/Lafayette would have to be #1 among FCS rivalries. I grew up hating Lafayette from a very young age and no matter how good each team is coming into the game it is always very hard fought. I would agrue Lehigh/Lafayette should be higher than some FBS rivalries like FSU/Miami.

Kelly Green
December 11th, 2007, 11:59 AM
The funny thing about this rivalry is that neither school would have considered each other a rival until both went to FCS. NDSU won a majority of the games between the two schools in D2 and I always considered it a pretty big upset if SDSU did beat us. Now with both schools on an even playing field with SDSU definitely improving their talent level and both teams guaranteed to play each other in the Gateway, it is a rivalry that will only continue to get better. In fact this year we play each other the last game of the season and I could see it determining which team goes to the playoffs and which stays home.

As for not being included since we are brand new to FCS, that's a bunch of crap. The last five years have proven that this is one of the better rivalries in FCS and will only continue to improve in upcoming seasons.

Just curious...what was "uneven" before NDSU & SDSU moved to FCS?

TheCatamount
December 11th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Just because App State beats Western Carolina more often than not does not mean it's not a great rivalry. The game always generates an enormous amount of buzz at both schools and it is without question the #1 rivalry for both schools.

"There have also been enough impact games in the series to stoke the fire of the rivalry, earning Sports Illustrated magazine's designation as "the best football rivalry you've never heard of."

TwinTownBisonFan
December 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I would have to agree about what has been said about Lehigh/Lafayette... I lived in PA for awhile (Bucks County, just south the Lehigh Valley) and that is INTENSE.

I would say you can put NDSU/SDSU on there in a few years, but for now, it's not that huge yet. I would love to see a continuation of the budding NDSU/Minnesota rivalry but that won't be happening... lousy Tim Brewster.

Leads me to a next question:

Greatest rivalries between an FCS and an FBS schools... they dont happen much anymore... the fbs seems to frown on their continuation... but I think if they were smart they'd push for them.

No_Skill
December 11th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I would have to agree about what has been said about Lehigh/Lafayette... I lived in PA for awhile (Bucks County, just south the Lehigh Valley) and that is INTENSE.

I would say you can put NDSU/SDSU on there in a few years, but for now, it's not that huge yet. I would love to see a continuation of the budding NDSU/Minnesota rivalry but that won't be happening... lousy Tim Brewster.

Greatest rivalries between an FCS and an FBS schools... they dont happen much anymore... the fbs seems to frown on their continuation... but I think if they were smart they'd push for them.

FBS schools would say there's no such thing.

stevdock
December 11th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Just curious...what was "uneven" before NDSU & SDSU moved to FCS?

I don't think that SDSU had the committment towards their football team as they do now. Most years that I remember SDSU was always in the 5-4 6-3 conference standings slot. Now they have increased their talent level and it is definitely showing up on the field. With a few good bounces they could have easily been 9-2, if not better. I would expect this in the coming years as they continue to widen their recruiting pipeline to other states in the area.

DrG
December 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM
To those UNH fans suggesting UNH-UMass, I absolutely agree. Bastards! ;)

ASUG8
December 11th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I'll throw in a smaller couple of schools:
NCA&T vs. NC Central

They have a freakin' brawl every year on the field (the fans) and 75% of either Greensboro's or Durham's PD is there to keep it in check.

ASUG8
December 11th, 2007, 01:23 PM
FBS schools would say there's no such thing.

It used to be ASU/Wake Forest until we started beating them at home every year. Then we mysteriously vanished from their schedule.......

poly51
December 11th, 2007, 01:31 PM

One of the best interdivisional rivalries in the past was between Cal Poly and Fresno State.

In 1972 Fresno State became a Division I-A team as a member of the old Big West, the PCAA. Cal Poly remained at D-II. They played every year but 1 through 1985. Their record during that span was Fresno State 6 wins, Cal Poly 6 wins with 1 tie. Even though 9 of the 13 games were played in Fresno. (Maybe that is why they won't play us anymore.)

They used to play for a big bell from an old school in the Fresno area. Cal Poly still has it and rings it after every score to this day.

Fresno State is also the only school referred to specifically in the Cal Poly fight song.

Cal Poly Fight Song
Ride High You Mustangs

Ride High You Mustangs,
Kick the frost out burn the breese,
Ride High You Mustangs,
The bow wows we'll knock to their knees
Hi Ki Yi
Ride High You Mustangs
Chin the moon and do it right
Ride High and cut a rusty
Fight! Fight! Fight

Mike G.
December 11th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Just because App State beats Western Carolina more often than not does not mean it's not a great rivalry. The game always generates an enormous amount of buzz at both schools and it is without question the #1 rivalry for both schools.

"There have also been enough impact games in the series to stoke the fire of the rivalry, earning Sports Illustrated magazine's designation as "the best football rivalry you've never heard of."

it creates more of a buzz when you score 79 pointsxcoolx

Big Dawg
December 11th, 2007, 03:28 PM
FAMU vs Tennessee State is great one

EdubAlum
December 11th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Montana vs anybody;)

OL FU
December 11th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Our Rivalries have been ever changing. Ask an old FU fan ( I mean old) and you might actually have heard Clemson or Carolina. AFter the 40's, The Citadel would have been unanimous. Since the 90's prolly GSU for most new kids on the block.

blueballs
December 11th, 2007, 04:18 PM
FAMU vs Tennessee State is great one

How about y'all and BCC? I've gone to that game a couple of times and it is a spectacle to say the least, in fact the entire weekend is.

gophoenix
December 11th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Must be nice to have a rival, period. I don't think we've had a real rival since leaving D-II with Lenoir-Rhyne or Catawba or even before that when Guilford was THE team to play for us. After that was A&T which was great for the locals and was lots bigger when A&T fielded a team instead of whatever it is they have suit up now. Not near what they have with NC Central, but was always good for lots of local chatter on the radio and local TV in the area.

We didn't have a true rival in the Big South that played football. And we don't have a real rival in the SoCon. In a lot of respects in the SoCon, we are like UTC; no rivals, no games that the fans go ga-ga about. Most of the students would rather play JMU, UR and W&M. Maybe we could get something going with Liberty or with Campbell if they step up to scholarship play (but that sounds unlikely too)

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 11th, 2007, 05:42 PM
SU vs Jackson St.
SU vs Famu

SU vs GSU is a friendly rivalry. Now those other two, the fans really hate each other.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 11th, 2007, 05:43 PM
McNeese has a hard time fitting in any top FCS rivalries because our fans still consider that FBS school 80 miles to the east of us as our chief bitterest rival, ULL. Of course, because they stayed I-A, they were too "good" to play us anymore. That is until this year. So after 21 years they decided to play us again.

Now after we drubbed them 38-17 (including kneel down in the redzone to run out the clock), it will probably be 21 more years before they agree to play us again. Which would be dumb on their part, because the 31,000+ crowd was the third largest crowd in their stadium history behind games when they paid big guarantees for Texas A&M and Alabama to come to town.

Their fans on their messageboard said that the rivalry was dead and the game wouldn't draw because their fans didn't care about McNeese anymore. Well, there was a "whole lot of not caring" going on in that stadium in September. :)

DocSU will play ULL in 09. Look for their stadium record to be broken.

R.A.
December 11th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Howard/Hampton

"Battle of the Real HU"

BluehenJK
December 11th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Delaware/VIllanova is a big rivalry and the series is tied 20-20-1 after this year. Now thats an even rivalry.....

furman94
December 11th, 2007, 07:45 PM
FU Clemson was a HUGE Game... way back when, then it was The Citadel, Now GSU or ASU. I really want the Citadel game to get as big as it used to... hate to say it but its more of a friendly rivalry now. Ask any FU fan or student now, and they say its ASU or GSU. I hate bof' of em!

McNeese72
December 11th, 2007, 08:11 PM
SU will play ULL in 09. Look for their stadium record to be broken.

Maybe, maybe not. The stadium holds 31,000. The record is the Texas A&M game at 38,783 from back in 1996. I don't know if the fire marshals would let that much of an overflow crowd to be in the stadium like was allowed in the past.

Doc

bcrawf
December 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM
UNI/SIU has turned into a war.

If only we could have played in CF last Friday Night...

Big Dawg
December 11th, 2007, 10:32 PM
How about y'all and BCC? I've gone to that game a couple of times and it is a spectacle to say the least, in fact the entire weekend is.

Of course

SU Jag
December 11th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Alabama State vs Alabama A&M
Southern vs Jackson State

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 11th, 2007, 10:48 PM
UNH vs UMass

rancher griz
December 12th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Brawl of the wild, the whole state of Montana shuts down to watch this game. It's a state holiday. Don't know if any rivalry in FCS can claim shutting down an entire state.

Two that come close:

Grambling St/Southern: Always a great and competitive game. But the real show is at halftime when two of the best marching bands in college football faceoff, trying to outperform each other.

Harvard/Yale: Probably the most storied and historically significant rivalry in college football. Have been playing each other since the game was invented. One of the few FCS rivalries that gets national attention.

TheKDL
December 12th, 2007, 01:14 AM
As far as App. State goes. I would say 1)GSU, 2)Furman 3) Wofford 4) Western. If we continue to play JMU every year I can see ASU/JMU being a good rivalry too!

chanharrison
December 12th, 2007, 01:28 AM
I am surprised Furman/Wofford are not more of a rival then they are especially since Wofford is now in the Southern Conference.. and considering the proximity of the schools!!

Poly Pigskin
December 12th, 2007, 03:54 AM
I have to agree with everyone saying the Lehigh/Lafayette rivalry should be higher, and NDSU/SDSU shouldn't be considered top 10 quite yet. I know the Dakotas have played some good games the last couple of seasons, but the key to rivalries is longevity, which that one certainly lacks (at least in terms of excitement). In the future it could be great, but it will need a lot more time.

Another potentially great rivalry could be Montana/Poly. CP has only been competitive for the past few seasons, and UM/MSU will always be bigger for the northern folks, but I think this could really turn into a great battle to determine the top team in the West if it is played annually. Being out west I'm sure it won't garner much interest, but I thought it would be worth throwing out there.

AmsterBison
December 12th, 2007, 05:10 AM
I have to agree with everyone saying the Lehigh/Lafayette rivalry should be higher, and NDSU/SDSU shouldn't be considered top 10 quite yet. I know the Dakotas have played some good games the last couple of seasons, but the key to rivalries is longevity, which that one certainly lacks (at least in terms of excitement). In the future it could be great, but it will need a lot more time.

You've got a point. While the Bunnies and Bison have played 94 times in the last 105 years, the intensity hasn't only come back recently. My problem is that SDSU and NSDU aren't even fully part of the FCS until next year. I'd leave them off us this year and add them next year.

My argument for including them next year is that the Dakota Marker Game really has everything you want: aa 100+ year history, the biggest universities in our respective states battling for supremacy, two Governors mixing it up, record-setting crowds, and a trophy. Yeah, there was a stretch where NDSU won 17 in a row and that kind of killed things for a while, but it is a pretty big deal now and getting bigger every year. And, yes, there is room for growth but it does offer some pretty unique things for the FCS.

OL FU
December 12th, 2007, 06:02 AM
I am surprised Furman/Wofford are not more of a rival then they are especially since Wofford is now in the Southern Conference.. and considering the proximity of the schools!!

I think the Wofford Furman rivalry will grow. I would imagine if you ask Wofford people they feel much more emotion about the game than Furman people for the following reason. For many years, Furman was DI and Wofford was either NAIA or DII. Hard to have a rivalry at different levels. Now that we are in the same division I think you will see it grow.

although a few more years like this one and things might changexpissedx