PDA

View Full Version : ASU adding 4,400 more seat to The Rock!

Griswold
December 8th, 2007, 12:19 AM
December 7, 2007 - BOONE, N.C. – Appalachian State University’s Board of Trustees approved a plan on Friday for the expansion of Kidd Brewer Stadium, the home of ASU football. The expansion, which will include 4,400 new seats in an upper deck on the stadium’s east side, is slated for completion in time for the 2008 season.

“This is a great day for Appalachian State University and ASU athletics, in particular,” athletics director Charlie Cobb. “We’re appreciative of the support and enthusiasm of the Board of Trustees and the University community as we continue our efforts to make ASU athletics a first-class experience for our student-athletes and fans.”

In addition to the 4,400 new seats, the expansion includes a brand new stadium concourse featuring 200 new restrooms and expanded concessions and souvenir facilities around stadium. The expansion also features the creation of 400 new handicapped and companion seats that, along with the new restroom facilities, will bring the stadium up to code.

With the new seats created by the east side upper deck and the club and suite levels of the new Kidd Brewer Stadium complex, currently under construction on the stadium’s west side, The Rock’s official seating capacity will expand to approximately 22,000.

The overall price tag for Appalachian athletics’ facilities enhancement campaign, which includes the already-constructed Sofield Family Indoor Practice Facility, Jim and Bettie Smith Baseball Stadium and ASU Softball Stadium, is now at $50 million.

http://www.goasu.com/article/11370/

AppStateSVX
December 8th, 2007, 12:27 AM
That's awesome. I wish they would go ahead and wrap around where the Hill is though. but always a good thing to get more seats, God knows we need them!

back2back
December 8th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Any news on bathrooms?

Ronbo
December 8th, 2007, 12:33 AM
200 restrooms? Isn't that overkill?

Griswold
December 8th, 2007, 12:38 AM

You haven't been to our tailgating! xbeerchugx

catamount man
December 8th, 2007, 06:48 AM

As a visiting fan that had to use a porta john, HELL NO!!! I hope ASU gets 300 bathrooms. HA!!!

Good luck next Friday APPS!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

tarmac
December 8th, 2007, 07:24 AM
expansion funding increased fro 35 mil to 50 mil

200 new restroom seats, new wider concourse, additional concession/souvenir shops, 4,400 seats on the East side and 1200 new seats on the West side, a new scoreboard that will have a video screen 4 times larger than current one. also will be upgraded to meet ADA regs.

AD said temp press boxes will be removed next week and construction will begin immediately

ButlerGSU
December 8th, 2007, 09:10 AM
As a visiting fan that had to use a porta john, HELL NO!!! I hope ASU gets 300 bathrooms. HA!!!

Good luck next Friday APPS!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I'll second that, the porta potties really need to go!

CamelCityAppFan
December 8th, 2007, 09:21 AM
That's awesome. I wish they would go ahead and wrap around where the Hill is though. but always a good thing to get more seats, God knows we need them!

I hope they never build on the hill. Build up both sides, but leave the hill! I think the hill is part of the KBS experience.

Now, as for pulling up the track...

xpeacex

AppChicago
December 8th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I'll second that, the porta potties really need to go!

They're temporary, guys. And they're pretty nice porta potties....

AshevilleApp
December 8th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Any artist renderings of what the finished product should look like?

The Moody1
December 8th, 2007, 09:34 AM
We are also supposed to be getting a new video board that will be 2.5 larger than our current board.

Skjellyfetti
December 8th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Any artist renderings of what the finished product should look like?

about halfway through this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Wi1TB-W8Y

ButlerGSU
December 8th, 2007, 10:32 AM
They're temporary, guys. And they're pretty nice porta potties....

Temporary? They've been there for years. Has KBS ever had real bathrooms on the visitors side?

jonmac
December 8th, 2007, 10:37 AM
You know lots of stadiums have port-a-pots. I think it would be a good idea to have some around KBS even after the renos, just for extras.

brownbear
December 8th, 2007, 11:16 AM
You know lots of stadiums have port-a-pots. I think it would be a good idea to have some around KBS even after the renos, just for extras.

If you're going to put up extra port-o-pots, you might as well build extra bathrooms. I don't think the number of people needing to go to the bathroom at KBS will change anytime soon.

93henfan
December 8th, 2007, 11:29 AM
The renovations look great. Tremendous new press/luxury facilities. Question though, why not get rid of that God-awful looking track around the field. You could bring your fans in so much closer like Montana, Delaware, etc. Still, looks like a very bright future for App St fans. Enjoy!

jonmac
December 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM
It'd be tough to find another location for the track. Land, especially flat, is at a premium in Boone. We also have a strong track team that deserves top notch facilities. I personally think the track adds to the college atmosphere. It would not, however, bother me if it was moved, as long as the new track facility was top notch.

93henfan
December 8th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Land, especially flat, is at a premium in Boone.

Makes sense. That's an obvious oversight on my part. You are in the mountains, after all. Thanks for setting me straight.

mistersykes
December 8th, 2007, 11:48 AM
It'd be tough to find another location for the track. Land, especially flat, is at a premium in Boone. We also have a strong track team that deserves top notch facilities. I personally think the track adds to the college atmosphere. It would not, however, bother me if it was moved, as long as the new track facility was top notch.

Great post. The track team deserves a nice facility, and a track is a big chunk of land for a town already squeezed for space inside. I understand that it might not look as professional to have a track around the football field, but I have no problem with it.

MplsBison
December 8th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Ask any college track team if they'd rather have the track at the football stadium or at a separate track facility.

Having a football field as the infield severely limits track meets.

And then, of course, it degrades the experience for football fans.

The sooner you can get the track out of the stadium, sink the field and extend the stadium seat line down to meet the new lowered field, the better.

MplsBison
December 8th, 2007, 02:50 PM
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/6681/appir3.png

How about putting the track in any of the 70% of this picture that is woods?

Eyes of Old Main
December 8th, 2007, 03:01 PM

When you've got to go, you've got to go.

Eyes of Old Main
December 8th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Congrats to Appalachian on their stadium expansion. I'm sure it'll be great when completed.

tralfangar
December 8th, 2007, 03:13 PM

What looks like wooded area from above is actually fairly steep mountainsides. It just doesn't make sense to have a separate track facility at App unless it is off campus. There is too little flat land available on campus and with the extra enrollment the UNC system is asking us to take on we need all we can get for new academic buildings, greenspace, etc.

I know this is mainly other fans complaining about our track, but once and for all GET OVER IT. It's staying and honestly I love it because it adds more to the "collegiate" feel of our great campus. The fact that we don't have some huge athletic complex 5 miles off campus is the reason that there is such a tight bond between ALL Appalachian State students (athletes included). It is one of the many facets that makes App so special and dear to our hearts.

MplsBison
December 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM
So it's impossible to carve out some of the mountainside for a track? Come on.

ronpayne
December 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM

I was in the ASU ROTC battalion when I was in school, and I can tell you, that it would be almost impossible to carve a track into those woods - you are talking about several really steep rocky hills, plus Outdoor Programs utilizes those woods for short hikes, ROTC uses them for training, and biology uses them for labs. We can either move the track to those hills and have to move all of the other programs that use them, or leave everything alone. Its a good point, but it is better the way it is.

I agree with the others that said it would be nice to be closer to the game field, without track, but I'm so used to the track being there, I don't know that we'd like it without! And I sure wouldn't want to move the track team to the a lower grade facility - Kidd Brewer Stadium is great the way it is (that is, with track, though the bathrooms, expanded seating while leaving the hill intact, and upgraded facilities are a very welcome addition).

Go Apps!

thmst30
December 8th, 2007, 03:28 PM
That would cost a crap load of money to just cut out a chunk of the mountain and build a track when we already have one. No reason to do it, unless our track team actually requests a new location.

MplsBison
December 8th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I'll say it again:

Ask any college track team if they'd rather have the track at the football stadium or at a separate track facility.

I don't know why you guys think KBS is some sort of superior track facility simply because there's a college football stadium around it.

mistersykes
December 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Those are the University Woods, part of a Nature preserve. That needs to stay. It's nice to have hiking trails and somewhat of an escape for students that don't have cars. The greenway and other trails are quite a bit farther away from campus. The preserve is also used for some classes and labs. I had a GIS lab/project out there earlier this semester. Plus, its certainly not flat. The track is fine where it is for now.

mistersykes
December 8th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I'll say it again:

I don't know why you guys think KBS is some sort of superior track facility simply because there's a college football stadium around it.

Nobody (that I saw) said that it was a superior facility. It was said that the track and field teams deserve support as well, and we're not going to move the field just for the football stadium to look better.

MplsBison
December 8th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Taking room for a track would ruin hiking and labs? I don't think so.

MplsBison
December 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Nobody (that I saw) said that it was a superior facility. It was said that the track and field teams deserve support as well, and we're not going to move the field just for the football stadium to look better.

IE, you're not going to give them their own facility just so you don't have to spend the money on the team.

jonmac
December 8th, 2007, 04:43 PM
The main part of the facility I was talking about is the new complex being built on west stands. They will be able to use that and it will be superior.
And why does matter so much to non-App fans anyway. It's not your stadium.

AppStateSVX
December 8th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I'll say it again:

seriously, get off your little high horse. We like it the way it is, and carving up the mountains that make this campus so beautiful is NOT an option in my book.

ASUG8
December 8th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Have you visited the Rock? Do you know how quickly the elevation changes in that 70%? The baseball field in the pic is 50-75 ft above the playing field, if that helps any. People used to sled from where the left hand parking lot is to where the baseball field is. The parking lot for building on the right of the picture is higher than the top of the East stands.

mtnralum
December 8th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Having a football field as the infield severely limits track meets.

And then, of course, it degrades the experience for football fans.

The sooner you can get the track out of the stadium, sink the field and extend the stadium seat line down to meet the new lowered field, the better.
MplsBison,

Why the slant against the track? Did you get cut from your middle school track team?

ERASU2113
December 8th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Wow KBS is going to look totally different next year.

Supposedly will have atleast the skeleton of the the new complex completed, along with the press box and Yosef Club suites open (top two levels of the complex)

And now 4,400 more seats? Awesome

appfan2008
December 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I cant wait for next at the rock... too bad i am going to be graduated and dont know where i will be living... damn the whole graduation thing...

ncguitarplyr
December 8th, 2007, 06:47 PM
what if we made the track black/gold? or made some sort of covering for the track that we put up during games

TheBisonator
December 8th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I couldn't get the YouTube vid to work. Does anyone have a picture of the expansion??

TheBisonator
December 8th, 2007, 06:54 PM
BTW, by my quick calculations, a 4,400-seat upper deck at 360 feet long (endline to endline as KBS is) seating 200 people per row at an average bleacher seat butt width of 18 inches (taking into account approx. 40 feet of aisle width and subtracting that) would mean the new upper deck would be between 20-22 rows, depending on how large the concourse tunnels are, and how much disabled seating there is. I'm guessing it would be 22 rows, due to ADA standards. Kidd-Brewer could feasibly hold crowds of 33-34,000 people.

And does anyone know how many rows of seating are on the larger side of KBS??

ERASU2113
December 8th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I cant wait for next at the rock... too bad i am going to be graduated and dont know where i will be living... damn the whole graduation thing...

I htought I would be complaining about the same thing...until I found out I graduate next Dec.

appfan2008
December 8th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I wish I came across some loophole where I had to stay... but i will just have to live close enough to have season tickets!!!

appfan2008
December 8th, 2007, 07:17 PM
BTW, by my quick calculations, a 4,400-seat upper deck at 360 feet long (endline to endline as KBS is) seating 200 people per row at an average bleacher seat butt width of 18 inches (taking into account approx. 40 feet of aisle width and subtracting that) would mean the new upper deck would be between 20-22 rows, depending on how large the concourse tunnels are, and how much disabled seating there is. I'm guessing it would be 22 rows, due to ADA standards. Kidd-Brewer could feasibly hold crowds of 33-34,000 people.

And does anyone know how many rows of seating are on the larger side of KBS??

trying to count heads on a small picture that i took during the gsu game this year turned out to be harder than i had expected but i believe somewhere between 25-30 rows...

MplsBison
December 8th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Kidd-Brewer could feasibly hold crowds of 33-34,000 people.

How are you getting this number?

The OP says:

With the new seats created by the east side upper deck and the club and suite levels of the new Kidd Brewer Stadium complex, currently under construction on the stadium’s west side, The Rock’s official seating capacity will expand to approximately 22,000.

appfan2008
December 8th, 2007, 07:24 PM
that is bc the expansion will take away none of the hill or SRO... so we currently have 16k seats and we cut ticket sales off at 28k which is 12k over capacity... if you use the same logic... the new capacity will be 22k so add 12k and you get 34k... not hard to figure...

TheBisonator
December 8th, 2007, 08:03 PM
trying to count heads on a small picture that i took during the gsu game this year turned out to be harder than i had expected but i believe somewhere between 25-30 rows...

I think it would be a lot more than 25-30 rows.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2279/1694060502_ee796c8781.jpg

This looks more like 50-55 rows to me...

tarmac
December 8th, 2007, 08:45 PM
i think the original west expansion added 6,000 seats

thmst30
December 8th, 2007, 09:39 PM
How are you getting this number?

The OP says:
Please, just quit trying. You've yet to get anything right in this thread about our stadium and surrounding area.

proasu89
December 8th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I think it would be a lot more than 25-30 rows.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2279/1694060502_ee796c8781.jpg

This looks more like 50-55 rows to me...

The top tier (reserved seats) go from AA to HHH. I believe that would be 34 rows.

appfan2008
December 8th, 2007, 10:46 PM
34 rows sounds about right... should look awesome on the other side!... according to asu the temp. press boxes will come down next week with work on the structure beginning immediately

chanharrison
December 9th, 2007, 01:12 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/chanharry/asustadium.jpg

or this one from 2003

http://goasu.com/autoimage/pcUwDpv.jpg

SirApp
December 9th, 2007, 03:34 AM
More happy about the bathrooms and concessions than anything else...

T-Dog
December 9th, 2007, 03:59 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/chanharry/asustadium.jpg

This one.

tarmac
December 9th, 2007, 06:10 AM
I heard someone on the radio say that it would be designed so skyboxes could be added between the old and new sections

HiHiYikas
December 9th, 2007, 06:38 AM
In all likelihood, this is really unfeasible, but...

As long as the track is there, why not put up bleachers around one of the corners for the band? Seems like this would open more stadium seating, fill a space that is semi-empty now, and potentially position the band so that they're a lot more audible to everybody.

I usually sit in section 1 or 2, which means I hear out-of-town bands much more clearly than the Marching Mountaineers. When GaSo was in town, for instance, they sat on track bleachers and I thought it worked out well.

Of course, ASU's band is a lot larger, but maybe there's a way to make this work.

AppMan
December 9th, 2007, 07:32 AM

The track will go one of these days, but with a price tag of $1.5 million the money is needed in other areas right now. The administration has come to the realization all our athletic facilities can't be located in the heart of campus. ASU is has outgrown the central campus and the demand for new buildings for class rooms and dorms is great. Those can't be located miles off campus, but athletic facilities can. The new baseball stadium complex was moved to a far corner of campus, the soccer field is located a mile off campus at State Farm Fields and I personally believe that is where the track will one day find a home as well. It will probably be a track / soccer complex and the current soccer pitch turned into a field hockey facility. Our football field still has a crown on it and in when it comes time to replace the Field Turf the filed will be leveled. That may be when the track is replaced as well. The prevailing idea is to dig down and lower the field while extending the seating closer to the sidelines.

The image of the east Stands shown in the you tube video is not what will be built. The new seating will be a raised deck positioned almost directly over the lower lever like at Boise State. It will be raised up high enough to leave room for additional boxes to be added between the two levels when the need arises. With the first row of seating located somewhere over the top of the 5-6 rows of the lower level, that new deck will provide the best view in the house.

AppMan
December 9th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Temporary? They've been there for years. Has KBS ever had real bathrooms on the visitors side?

No. When the stadium was built in the late 60's it only had 10,000 seats. Two small bathrooms were built where the scoreboard is now to accomodate both sides of the stadium.

AppMan
December 9th, 2007, 07:54 AM

The biggest part of the land in that picture has been set aside and is protected from any type of construction. Our former politically correct chancellor caved in to almost every whim of the enviro-geeks on campus. They wanted it to remain as a biology preserve and nature study area. One would think the millions of undisturbed acres of woodlands around campus would have been sufficient. The could have gone a few miles off campus and bought a few hundred acres, but noooooo........ Now for the campus to grow ASU is faced with purchasing very expensive property down the Highway 321 corridor (which is one of the two major roadways leading into town).

AppMan
December 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM
i think the original west expansion added 6,000 seats

It was 8,000 seats. The original plan developed in the mid 70's was for the East stands to mirror the West for a total of 26,000 seats. The original stadium sat 10,000 and the upper level added in 1979 raised it to 18,000. Renovations to the stadium in 1995 reduced seating of the lower levels by 750 on the West side and 950 on the East side which put capacity at the current 16,300.

AppMan
December 9th, 2007, 08:10 AM
http://goasu.com/autoimage/pcUwDpv.jpg

What is shown here is similar to what will be built on the East side. Minus the roof, towers, bridge and the building in the endzone

appfan2008
December 9th, 2007, 08:40 AM
What is shown here is similar to what will be built on the East side. Minus the roof, towers, bridge and the building in the endzone

I agree... all that I have heard is it will be raised like that and not come right off the top of the lower part like it does on the west side... but of course none of that other junk will happen which is fine with me

thmst30
December 9th, 2007, 11:14 AM

I'm hoping its similar like that, I don't really want it to mirror the other side. Needs to be a different layout.

tarmac
December 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM
APPMAN what do youthink about it just being 4,400 new seats, of couse you can add 1200 if you count the west side

brownbear
December 9th, 2007, 11:26 AM
When is the new press box going to be finished?

thmst30
December 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Thats what I want to know too. There no est. completion dates ANYWHERE online. If I had to guess I'd say for the 09 season, but the seats are supposed to be done for next year.

mtoliver
December 9th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Good question. I've heard it could be ready for 2008, but I really doubt it. I can't find est. completion dates either.

brownbear
December 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
If they plan on adding the seats by 08, I wouldn't think they'd be able to also finish the press box by then too, but I don't know.

mtoliver
December 9th, 2007, 12:27 PM
If they plan on adding the seats by 08, I wouldn't think they'd be able to also finish the press box by then too, but I don't know.

I wouldn't think so, either. And, in fairness, I heard 2008 completion LONG before these expansion plans were anounced. 2009 would be a safe bet...

appfan2008
December 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't think so, either. And, in fairness, I heard 2008 completion LONG before these expansion plans were anounced. 2009 would be a safe bet...

All along I had heard that they wanted the press box done by the 08 season but judging by progress i just dont see how that can happen... also charlie said the temp press boxes would be taken down within the next week and work on the expansion on the east side would begin immediately... if that is the case then where will tv and radio people be next year if the press box isnt completed?

The Moody1
December 9th, 2007, 02:09 PM
All along I had heard that they wanted the press box done by the 08 season but judging by progress i just dont see how that can happen... also charlie said the temp press boxes would be taken down within the next week and work on the expansion on the east side would begin immediately... if that is the case then where will tv and radio people be next year if the press box isnt completed?

The temporary press boxes are probably being moved so that they will be out of the way for the east side expansion. Once the expansion is complete they will just move them back in place.

MplsBison
December 9th, 2007, 03:06 PM
The track will go one of these days, but with a price tag of $1.5 million the money is needed in other areas right now. The administration has come to the realization all our athletic facilities can't be located in the heart of campus. ASU is has outgrown the central campus and the demand for new buildings for class rooms and dorms is great. Those can't be located miles off campus, but athletic facilities can. The new baseball stadium complex was moved to a far corner of campus, the soccer field is located a mile off campus at State Farm Fields and I personally believe that is where the track will one day find a home as well. It will probably be a track / soccer complex and the current soccer pitch turned into a field hockey facility. Our football field still has a crown on it and in when it comes time to replace the Field Turf the filed will be leveled. That may be when the track is replaced as well. The prevailing idea is to dig down and lower the field while extending the seating closer to the sidelines.

The image of the east Stands shown in the you tube video is not what will be built. The new seating will be a raised deck positioned almost directly over the lower lever like at Boise State. It will be raised up high enough to leave room for additional boxes to be added between the two levels when the need arises. With the first row of seating located somewhere over the top of the 5-6 rows of the lower level, that new deck will provide the best view in the house.

Thanks for the info!

Good to see there's at least one Appalachian State fan on this board who won't jump to apologize as quickly as possible for past mistakes the university made.

APPride
December 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Good question. I've heard it could be ready for 2008, but I really doubt it. I can't find est. completion dates either.

Deacon tower at Wake Forest was started 1st week Jan '07 and will not be ready until Sept. '08...these buildings are similar in scope...

http://wakeforestfacilities.com/tour_renderings.htm

ERASU2113
December 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM

Before the season started, well back into May at least, Sports Information informed the media of the temp press boxes located on the East side.

I can't remember when, but prior to the press boxes being torn down over the summer it was announced the new press box, which is to be on top of the complex behind the west stands, should be ready prior to the '08 season.

Granted I haven't seen any information on if that will be completed in by then, or seen a new timetable announced, but that was the original timeframe they had for it.

appfan2008
December 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Before the season started, well back into May at least, Sports Information informed the media of the temp press boxes located on the East side.

I can't remember when, but prior to the press boxes being torn down over the summer it was announced the new press box, which is to be on top of the complex behind the west stands, should be ready prior to the '08 season.

Granted I haven't seen any information on if that will be completed in by then, or seen a new timetable announced, but that was the original timeframe they had for it.

Thanks for the info ER that is what i thought i had remembered hearing as well

appfan2008
December 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
The temporary press boxes are probably being moved so that they will be out of the way for the east side expansion. Once the expansion is complete they will just move them back in place.

how do you plan on putting them back into place when the new seating is in the way?

roysboi12
December 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
The construction progress will depend heavily on how much can be done during the winter months. If the weather is really bad, I don't think the press box will be done in time.

jonmac
December 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM
It has been my understanding that the plan is to have the press box and seating, including boxes ready for '08 and the rest of the facility will be completed after that. I may be wrong but it seems the structure itself could be in place reletively quickly. The interior is what will take some time.

ERASU2113
December 9th, 2007, 05:10 PM
It has been my understanding that the plan is to have the press box and seating, including boxes ready for '08 and the rest of the facility will be completed after that. I may be wrong but it seems the structure itself could be in place reletively quickly. The interior is what will take some time.

Yea that's what I was talking about. I remember them saying they wanted to get the top two levels (press box, and suites) done by '08 with the outside of the whole complex done as well. Then they could move inside and work on completing the rest in time.

tarmac
December 9th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I think I heard DJ say Friday that they would be working 24/7 on the facility when they got rolling. I think that is what they are doing at Wake

roysboi12
December 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I think I heard DJ say Friday that they would be working 24/7 on the facility when they got rolling. I think that is what they are doing at Wake

The quicker they get it done the better. After two, perhaps three straight championships nothing would be better to open next year with the brand new facilities in place.

ASUMountaineer
December 9th, 2007, 09:07 PM

I would weclome NDSU to pay for it as it seems a big concern. It's hard and expensive to move mountains. Honestly, come to Kidd Brewer before criticizing chief.