PDA

View Full Version : Official 2008 Griz Schedule Announced!

AZGrizFan
December 7th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I apologize if this has been posted, but I didn't see it anywhere. The Griz released their schedule, and THANK GOD, got rid of Western State of Colorado. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Unfortunately Central Washington is NOW on the schedule, but so are Cal Poly (AWAY---THAT'S RIGHT AGS, AWAY) and UC-Davis, as well as GWFC punching bag known as Southern Utah.

Not terrific, but definitely an upgrade from last years Albany/SUU/Ft Lewis fiasco. 12 game schedule with 7 home games....I'd absolutely LOVE this schedule if CWU was replaced with an away game at a top tier I-AA school or WAC or Mountain West school (Idaho, Nevada, CSU, Utah State, Wyoming, etc)

2008 MONTANA GRIZZLY FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Date ..... Opponent ..... Time
9.6 ..... at Cal Poly ..... TBA
9.13 ..... Southern Utah ..... 1:05 p.m.
9.20 ..... UC-Davis (Homecoming) ..... 1:05 p.m.
9.27 ..... Central Washington ..... 1:05 p.m.
10.4 ..... at Weber State * ..... TBA
10.11 ..... at Eastern Washington * ..... TBA
10.18 ..... Sacramento State * ..... 1:05 p.m.
10.25 ..... at Northern Colorado * ..... TBA
11.1 ..... Northern Arizona * ..... 12:05 p.m.
11.8 ..... at Portland State * ..... TBA
11.15 ..... Idaho State * ..... 12:05 p.m.
11.22 ..... Montana State * (108th meeting) ..... 12:05 p.m.

Discuss..... xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

umassfan
December 7th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I apologize if this has been posted, but I didn't see it anywhere. The Griz released their schedule, and THANK GOD, got rid of Western State of Colorado. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx Unfortunately Central Washington is NOW on the schedule, but so are Cal Poly (AWAY---THAT'S RIGHT AGS, AWAY) and UC-Davis, as well as GWFC punching bag known as Southern Utah.

Not terrific, but definitely an upgrade from last years Albany/SUU/Ft Lewis fiasco. 12 game schedule with 7 home games....I'd absolutely LOVE this schedule if CWU was replaced with an away game at a top tier I-AA school or WAC or Mountain West school (Idaho, Nevada, CSU, Utah State, Wyoming, etc)

Still one of the easiest schedules in the FCS.

AZGrizFan
December 7th, 2007, 11:56 PM

Well, after what we suffered through this year, we'll take any improvement we can get. Besides, we all know umass fans would bitch if hung with a new rope. You'd most likely not be happy unless Montana's OOC schedule was App State, Delaware, UMass and UNI---all on the road.

But, even then you'd probably find something wrong with it.

You wanna smack Montana's schedule, go start your own thread.

umassfan
December 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Well, after what we suffered through this year, we'll take any improvement we can get. Besides, we all know umass fans would bitch if hung with a new rope. You'd most likely not be happy unless Montana's OOC schedule was App State, Delaware, UMass and UNI---all on the road.

You dont want attacks on your schedule... then schedule someone. Plain and simple. Our OOC schedule so far next year is Texas Tech, Albany, Holy Cross and still looking for one more. Thats on top of Richmond, UNH, JMU all on the road with Delaware and Hofstra at home.

umassfan
December 8th, 2007, 12:02 AM

You dont want attacks on your schedule... then schedule someone. Plain and simple. Our OOC schedule so far next year is Texas Tech, Albany, Holy Cross and still looking for one more. Thats on top of Richmond, UNH, JMU all on the road with Delaware and Hofstra at home.

slostang
December 8th, 2007, 12:07 AM

Way to step up to the big time with Albany and Holy Cross. Is that the same Albany team that everyone gave Montana so much ***** about scheduling in 2007?

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 12:09 AM

So you're telling me you actually have to play the difficult schools in your conference for once? That's great. When you go 7-5 we won't have to listen to you during the playoffs. When I have control over the Griz schedule, you'll be the first to know...

I was looking for DISCUSSION, not smack attacks. Otherwise, I'd have posted it in the smack forum. I'm tired of defending the BSC and it's relative strength. We don't have 50 FCS schools within driving distance to choose from. We don't have 3 pushover FCS leagues to beat up. We take what we can get.

Ronbo
December 8th, 2007, 12:15 AM

Talked to the AD recently. With the expansion we'll net $900,000 on the MSU game and $650,000 on the Davis game. Our other Conference home games will net $500,000 each. The CWU game will net $450,000 and the SUU game $400,000. Nice to not have to schedule body bag games.xlolx This is NET money kids after all payouts and expenses paid. xnodx

umassfan
December 8th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Talked to the AD recently. With the expansion we'll net $900,000 on the MSU game and $650,000 on the Davis game. Our other Conference home games will net $500,000 each. The CWU game will net $450,000 and the SUU game $400,000. Nice to not have to schedule body bag games.xlolx This is NET money kids after all payouts and expenses paid. xnodx

So you are happy playing a soft schedule because of the all mighty dollar? Hmm ok glad you guys do that and make first round exits after a weak schedule.

dbackjon
December 8th, 2007, 12:22 AM

That is one step above a PFL schedule...

You have no room to smack Montana's schedule. Cal Poly and Cal Davis are far better than your OOC.

umassfan
December 8th, 2007, 12:26 AM
So you're telling me you actually have to play the difficult schools in your conference for once? That's great. When you go 7-5 we won't have to listen to you during the playoffs. When I have control over the Griz schedule, you'll be the first to know...

I was looking for DISCUSSION, not smack attacks. Otherwise, I'd have posted it in the smack forum. I'm tired of defending the BSC and it's relative strength. We don't have 50 FCS schools within driving distance to choose from. We don't have 3 pushover FCS leagues to beat up. We take what we can get.

For once? We play Delaware Richmond and JMU for 2 years then play Nova, W&M, and Towson for 2 years.

umassfan
December 8th, 2007, 12:27 AM
That is one step above a PFL schedule...

You have no room to smack Montana's schedule. Cal Poly and Cal Davis are far better than your OOC.

Cal Poly and Cal Davis is better then Texas Tech Holy Cross and Albany? xconfusedx I think ive heard it all

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 12:28 AM
So you are happy playing a soft schedule because of the all mighty dollar? Hmm ok glad you guys do that and make first round exits after a weak schedule.

There's ONE REASON why UMass didn't make a first round exit this year, and it can be summarized in one word:

REGIONALIZATION

You barely got by that powerhouse Fordham team, then couldn't beat SIU. You played exactly ONE playoff team during the 2007 season, and outside of your bodybag game your most difficult opponent was Villanova. You avoided Delaware, JMU, AND Richmond this year. If you'd played them instead of the bottom feeders, you'd have been sitting home THIS year like you will be in '08.

Hardly one to be talking about a weak schedule. xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
December 8th, 2007, 12:29 AM

I see nothing but
http://www.warmthingsonline.com/imgproducts350/abcfeatherwhitedownessential.jpg
and
http://www.elizabethkann.com/images/cupcakes.jpg

:p

In all seriousness, definately better than this year. CW is there, but really, lots of teams schedule D-IIs. CP and UCD are nice additions, although we'll see how good either one is. SUU, well, they can't get worse than this season. Nice, but I highly doubt you're really fishing for compliments, especially since we all know Montana will win the Sky anyway. At the very least, closing with 3 of 4 at home will certainly help xsmiley_wix

umassfan
December 8th, 2007, 12:30 AM
There's ONE REASON why UMass didn't make a first round exit this year, and it can be summarized in one word:

REGIONALIZATION

You barely got by that powerhouse Fordham team, then couldn't beat SIU. You played exactly ONE playoff team during the 2007 season, and outside of your bodybag game your most difficult opponent was Villanova. You avoided Delaware, JMU, AND Richmond this year. If you'd played them instead of the bottom feeders, you'd have been sitting home THIS year like you will be in '08.

Hardly one to be talking about a weak schedule. xthumbsupx

Lets see... Nova should have been a playoff team... We destroyed UNH who took UNI to the final gun... and played tight with BC. We had a top 5 SOS. What was Montanas SOS? enough said...

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 12:32 AM
I see nothing but
http://www.warmthingsonline.com/imgproducts350/abcfeatherwhitedownessential.jpg
and
http://www.elizabethkann.com/images/cupcakes.jpg

:p

In all seriousness, definately better than this year. CW is there, but really, lots of teams schedule D-IIs. CP and UCD are nice additions, although we'll see how good either one is. SUU, well, they can't get worse than this season. Nice, but I highly doubt you're really fishing for compliments, especially since we all know Montana will win the Sky anyway xsmiley_wix

Montana is losing a TON of starters this year. My money's on EWU to win the Sky. Hopefully Montana will be in the mix for an at-large bid. I'm gonna state right here that I think Montana loses at least two conference games next year, and probably loses @ Cal Poly. So, 9-3, with a D-II win = 8-3. Hopefully that's good enough.

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Lets see... Nova should have been a playoff team... We destroyed UNH who took UNI to the final gun... and played tight with BC. We had a top 5 SOS. What was Montanas SOS? enough said...

Typical. Use transitive arguments to make a nonexistent point. Shoulda-coulda-woulda.

umassfan
December 8th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Typical. Use transitive arguments to make a nonexistent point. Shoulda-coulda-woulda.
I think you mentioned our weak schedule this year... well we had a top 5 SOS so how is that weak?

TheValleyRaider
December 8th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Montana is losing a TON of starters this year. My money's on EWU to win the Sky. Hopefully Montana will be in the mix for an at-large bid. I'm gonna state right here that I think Montana loses at least two conference games next year, and probably loses @ Cal Poly. So, 9-3, with a D-II win = 8-3. Hopefully that's good enough.

8-3 with that schedule should be enough, especially with the Montana name and as long as they finish 2nd to EWU in the Sky. Of course, if the conference is strong enough to get 3 in, then 8-3 would do it for sure. We're probably a few weeks away though, see if anyone plays themselves out :D

I think the biggest danger for Montana would be losing Hauck. While I'm sure he has his shortcomings (as all coaches do), he's at least proven that he can keep the program performing at a high level. Now if he leaves, all bets are off without knowing who his replacement is.

It's been awhile since someone stepped up to really take the mantle from Montana in the Sky. Maybe it will be EWU, but if I'm a betting man, I'll be waiting for it to actually happen xpeacex

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 12:41 AM
I think you mentioned our weak schedule this year... well we had a top 5 SOS so how is that weak?

Honestly, I couldn't give a rats ass about your schedule this year. You're out of the playoffs. We're out of the playoffs. This thread is about Montana's schedule NEXT year.

Move along. xthumbsupx

umassfan
December 8th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Honestly, I couldn't give a rats ass about your schedule this year. You're out of the playoffs. We're out of the playoffs. This thread is about Montana's schedule NEXT year.

Move along. xthumbsupx

I see when you get proven wrong you move on.

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I see when you get proven wrong you move on.

You didn't prove me wrong. You used transitive arguments to make a point. That **** doesn't fly. I could use transitive arguments to make Montana the National Champ. Doesn't make it right. If Montana got to dodge 3 of the 4 toughest teams in our conference we'd go 7-1 too. Oh, wait. We played EVERYONE and went 8-0. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Hows this for an argument: Montana would go 11-3 against your schedule too. So, big deal.

edit: I'd really like to see what your SOS number looks like without the bodybag game. And, FYI, BC was overrated too. Just like UMass.

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 12:53 AM

And where are you getting top 5? I count at least 10 FCS schools with higher SOS rankings than UMass....

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2007, 12:56 AM
I really like this schedule, and from what i heard, the 5 game Cal Poly deal is pretty awesome. We need to get them in the Big Sky. That game will be amazing. I hopefully will be able to make the SUU game before heading overseas next year, but I won't count on it. xbawlingx

I think a lot of Big Sky teams will perform well next year, especially EWU. Unless they clean shop, which I don't think will happen, we still have a pretty good shot at at least sharing the title. Montana will be hit hard, but I think they still have what it takes to win the Sky, and definitely make the playoffs. However, if we play App St. next year some time, and I'm not there to see it, I'm gonna be pissed! :p

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I really like this schedule, and from what i heard, the 5 game Cal Poly deal is pretty awesome. We need to get them in the Big Sky. That game will be amazing. I hopefully will be able to make the SUU game before heading overseas next year, but I won't count on it. xbawlingx

I think a lot of Big Sky teams will perform well next year, especially EWU. Unless they clean shop, which I don't think will happen, we still have a pretty good shot at at least sharing the title. Montana will be hit hard, but I think they still have what it takes to win the Sky, and definitely make the playoffs. However, if we play App St. next year some time, and I'm not there to see it, I'm gonna be pissed! :p

I just wish they'd replace CWU with NDSU. NDSU has an open date on the 27th of September!

Side note: I WILL be making the trip over from the AZ to Cal Poly this year! Since the NAU game is in Missoula, I need a road trip to make! xnodx xnodx xnodx

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2007, 01:06 AM
I just wish they'd replace CWU with NDSU. NDSU has an open date on the 27th of September!That would be epic, but I don't see an FBS game on their schedule...playing Montana might make up for that game, but that might be more of what they're looking for. A Home and Home with NDSU would be nice to see. Or maybe even a 3 or 4 game agreement. xthumbsupx

kalm
December 8th, 2007, 01:10 AM
That's a good schedule from a playoff standpoint. It leaves possibilities open for seeding or an at-large depending on how your chips fall. However, I wish you could continue to talk east coast teams into making the trip. It's good to see the BSC face outside competition at home.

I can't wait until 10/11. xthumbsupx

mvemjsunpx
December 8th, 2007, 01:13 AM

Seriously!? This is one of the stupidest comments ever made.

What good does tough scheduling do if it causes the athletic department to be in the red? UMass is playing Texas Tech for the money, not so they can play a tough schedule, so that makes you a hypocrite. Montana is playing their schedule for the same reason, but they're not as desperate for payouts. What is UMass's athletic profit? When was the last time UMass needed a stadium expansion or had enough money to build one? When was the last time the UMass football team actually made a positive contribution to the athletic budget? When was the last time UMass's athletic program actually contributed to the financial & academic health of its university?

The primary purpose of college athletics is to put money & excitement into the university & the community, not to grandstand about tougher sports schedules. Montana is maximizing their profit margin to accomplish just that. They weren't doing that in the early 2000's & they payed the $1 million price.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2007, 01:18 AM

Nice schedule, CP should be really good next year. I think they return almost everybody on offense. UCD is also solid, SUU and CWU aren't so tough but the schedule is a vast improvement. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Go...gate
December 8th, 2007, 01:18 AM

You guys ought to play one or more of the academies - you played Army in '84 and I don't think you have ever played Air Force, which would be an easier trip. I know AFA has played Weber State from time to time, why not you guys?

mvemjsunpx
December 8th, 2007, 01:30 AM
You guys ought to play one or more of the academies - you played Army in '84 and I don't think you have ever played Air Force, which would be an easier trip. I know AFA has played Weber State from time to time, why not you guys?

That Army game was a special case. The Griz played them in the annual Mirage Bowl in Tokyo, Japan. As a side note, this 1984 game introduced "The Wave" to Japan (according to Wikipedia).

SeattleGriz
December 8th, 2007, 01:40 AM

Say UMass, how did you make it to the Montana game last year?

I am betting it was a ton of cash or someone paid for you.

Do you now see the issue with Montana traveling to the East?

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2007, 01:40 AM
That Army game was a special case. The Griz played them in the annual Mirage Bowl in Tokyo, Japan. As a side note, this 1984 game introduced "The Wave" to Japan (according to Wikipedia).Let's play the Cats in Tokyo next year!! I'd be there for sure!! xthumbsupx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

SeattleGriz
December 8th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Seriously!? This is one of the stupidest comments ever made.

What good does tough scheduling do if it causes the athletic department to be in the red? UMass is playing Texas Tech for the money, not so they can play a tough schedule, so that makes you a hypocrite. Montana is playing their schedule for the same reason, but they're not as desperate for payouts. What is UMass's athletic profit? When was the last time UMass needed a stadium expansion or had enough money to build one? When was the last time the UMass football team actually made a positive contribution to the athletic budget? When was the last time UMass's athletic program actually contributed to the financial & academic health of its university?

The primary purpose of college athletics is to put money & excitement into the university & the community, not to grandstand about tougher sports schedules. Montana is maximizing their profit margin to accomplish just that. They weren't doing that in the early 2000's & they payed the $1 million price.

ISHT! When was the last time UMass filled their stadium?

patssle
December 8th, 2007, 02:34 AM
whatcha know...another Montana bitch fest thread.

They play their easy schedule...then get knocked out in the 1st round. No point in complaining about it...sit back and enjoy it if you do.

SeattleGriz
December 8th, 2007, 02:39 AM

They play their easy schedule...then get knocked out in the 1st round. No point in complaining about it...sit back and enjoy it if you do.

Better than getting throttled by the #2 Big Sky team...oh wait, SHSU sucked ass this last year and weren't even close to making the playoffs.

Buzz off hater.

Poly Pigskin
December 8th, 2007, 03:08 AM
I really don't understand why you guys are giving them crap about this schedule. The ideal OOC formula for many schools is FBS, ranked FCS, misc FCS/DII, not 3 top opponents like everyone expects of Montana. Cal Poly should be highly ranked going into next year, and Davis is not going to be a walk in the park despite the down year they had this season. I expect them to be ranked sometime during the season, though maybe not by the time they play UM. SUU and CW are "cupcakes," but keep in mind the way SUU played this season. Lots of close games against top teams must have helped them tremendously, though the effect from the change in coaching staff remains to be seen.

All you folks on the east coast act like it's the easiest thing to get a solid OOC game, and for you it might be. You have to understand that scheduling is fundamentally different based on geography. Look at the density of schools on each coast, and then tell us our OOC schedules are crap. You whine about taking plane rides; well guess what, on a good year we have 2 or 3 trips that don't require wings. How many times do you change time zones for games? We do it regularly IN CONFERENCE. This is a fine schedule they have, get over yourselves.

uofmman1122
December 8th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Funny how no other team's schedule thread becomes a smack fest. xrolleyesx

BTW, any more people wishing to comment about Montana's weak schedules need look no further than here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU).

BearsCountry
December 8th, 2007, 04:23 AM
That is a pretty good OOC schedule really - Cal Poly, UC Davis are pretty good teams.

B&G
December 8th, 2007, 04:44 AM
That is a pretty good OOC schedule really - Cal Poly, UC Davis are pretty good teams.

I don't think a lot of people on the East Coast are very well schooled on either of those teams. Truth be told, the likes of Washington State are probably scared to play you which makes scheduling a game with an FBS school a difficult endeavor.

With that said... if someone showed this schedule to me without telling me whose it was, then I wouldn't have said "that's a tough schedule." It is indeed better than '07 though. We know EWU will be a tough game. Cal Poly should be a contest too. Do you guys think NAU will be any good in 2008? Or do you see another team with potential to make noise in the BSC?

Kelly Green
December 8th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Glad to see three GWFC foes for the Griz...maybe the following year we will see UND and USD.

xthumbsupx

Central Washington had a good team this year (finished the season 10-3 losing in the DII quarterfinals) and returns their star quarterback...Mike Reilly.

The Griz should win easily but I would not overlook the Wildcats.

Cranium716
December 8th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Wow, 5 away games...Don't strain yourself ...xwhistlex

DaGriz
December 8th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Wow, 5 away games...Don't strain yourself ...xwhistlex

JMU's schedule this year-I count 5 away games. xwhistlex

rob_p469
December 8th, 2007, 10:26 AM

How did you guys do in the playoffs this year? Year of the Kat? Nice.xthumbsupx xlolx

rob_p469
December 8th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Don't sleep on Portland State to make some noise in the BSC next year. They won't win it, but the man in black coaching out there will get some decent athletes to finally come to that school, and that offense will be explosive. Sophmore quarterback that put up 485 yards and nine touchdowns as a true freshman in his first start. Should be fun.

And once again, for all you haters dissing the griz and their schedule.... JEALOUSY IS A STINKY COLOGNE.

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 11:22 AM
nice to see that once the umhaterfan left this thread, we actually got some decent discussion going. B&G, I would agree with your assessment. However, it IS a big step up from 2007's OOC schedule. Two very competitive games, one being on the road, and an improved BSC schedule should make 2008 a much more challenging year for Griz football. I expect EWU to win the BSC. I expect both PSU and MSU to be better with their coaches having a chance to settle in and actually recruit their own guys. And NAU always seems to be in the mix. UNC seemed to turn a corner after losing to the Griz, and Weber went 5-2 after losing to the Griz. That just leaves Sac State and ISU, two wildcards. All in all, I expect the BSC to be much more competitive next year, with just about every other team improving and the Griz perhaps taking a slight step backwards after losing so much senior leadership. Only time will tell, however.

McNeese_beat
December 8th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Good schedule. Cal Poly and UC Davis are upgrades on Albany and whoever else you played last year.

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Good schedule. Cal Poly and UC Davis are upgrades on Albany and whoever else you played last year.

Beat---the other thing some of the haters (u-ass-fan, pastel, etc) forget is that we had a 1-10 Western State of Colorado team on the schedule, and replaced them with a 10-3 Central Washington D-II playoff team. That, in and of itself, is a huge upgrade. SUU, while looking like a wash on paper, will most likely be better, and CP and Davis are huge upgrades from Albany. All in all, it's acceptable and shouldn't generate the massive amounts of crap 2007's schedule did. But, as I stated earlier in this thread, some are never happy unless there's a bodybag game or two on the schedule. UM finally is in a position financially where we don't need to schedule those games. Thank God.

'neers80
December 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM
ARE YOU SERIOUS... AZ GRIZ FAN ... you are really going to use up space on this blog defending your schedule... what a homer! look at app states schedule and conference, youre scared to play ANYONE! how about app state opening playing the past four years LSU & KANSAS in 05 - national champs, NC STATE in 06 - national champs and MICHIGAN in 07. NEXT YEAR AT FLORIDA. if you want to be the champ ... play a championship schedule. and enjoy watching us again next friday!

kalm
December 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Glad to see three GWFC foes for the Griz...maybe the following year we will see UND and USD.

xthumbsupx

Central Washington had a good team this year (finished the season 10-3 losing in the DII quarterfinals) and returns their star quarterback...Mike Reilly.

The Griz should win easily but I would not overlook the Wildcats.

Good point. I think a number of people see DII teams like CWU, Chadron St, or Western Washington and think cupcake, when each of these schools has a D-I win over the past 3 seasons. Yet non, or partial schollie mid-majors who are found on many CAA and SoCon schedules somehow get regarded as legitimate since they're FCS. Is there really much of a difference between the FCS mid-majors or non-shollies and DII?

kalm
December 8th, 2007, 12:17 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS... AZ GRIZ FAN ... you are really going to use up space on this blog defending your schedule... what a homer! look at app states schedule and conference, youre scared to play ANYONE! how about app state opening playing the past four years LSU & KANSAS in 05 - national champs, NC STATE in 06 - national champs and MICHIGAN in 07. NEXT YEAR AT FLORIDA. if you want to be the champ ... play a championship schedule. and enjoy watching us again next friday!

If $'s were not involved, would ASU be playing any of those games? Reducing the argument to matter of courage is assinine. xthumbsupx

B&G
December 8th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Good point. I think a number of people see DII teams like CWU, Chadron St, or Western Washington and think cupcake, when each of these schools has a D-I win over the past 3 seasons. Yet non, or partial schollie mid-majors who are found on many CAA and SoCon schedules somehow get regarded as legitimate since they're FCS. Is there really much of a difference between the FCS mid-majors or non-shollies and DII?

Just ask Montana State about Chadron. Hell, GA Southern even lost to Central Conn. recently.

Is there really an ASU game against Florida in 2008? I thought that was in 2009 and we hadn't scheduled a BCS team yet for '08.

FargoBison
December 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Give it a rest, this schedule isn't weak. Cal Poly in my mind is a legit playoff contender. They have a great offense that gives any coaching staff they go up against fits when it comes to trying to stop them. Their defense has also been historically good, they were down last year but I wouldn't expect that to last. Montana is going out there right off the bat, that says something. UCD is also a good team, lots of young talent on that squad and if their new QB gets it going they'll be dangerous. SUU should be improved but not much better. CWU is the only game I don't like seeing but at least they offer a challange unlike the other DII they had scheduled prior. This schedule isn't extremely tough but it isn't close to being weak.

griz8791
December 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM
There was nowhere to go but up from this year's schedule.

'neers80
December 8th, 2007, 12:25 PM
sure $ is involved, just as it would be for ANY school who had the guts to play games like that. but (1) we play to win as michigan showed and the game against LSU 2 yrs ago when they shared the national championship w usc and (2) our non conference schedule outside of the FBS teams we play is competetive (next year at James Madison) not to mention we play in one of the toughest - if not the toughest conference in the nation ... hows that for assinine?

Grizalltheway
December 8th, 2007, 12:32 PM

And you're happy having your players get the pi$$ beat out of them for a big paycheck?

Grizalltheway
December 8th, 2007, 12:34 PM
sure $ is involved, just as it would be for ANY school who had the guts to play games like that. but (1) we play to win as michigan showed and the game against LSU 2 yrs ago when they shared the national championship w usc and (2) our non conference schedule outside of the FBS teams we play is competetive (next year at James Madison) not to mention we play in one of the toughest - if not the toughest conference in the nation ... hows that for assinine?

Funny how App fans just forget about Lenoir-Rhyne. xrolleyesx

'neers80
December 8th, 2007, 12:36 PM
And you're happy having your players get the pi$$ beat out of them for a big paycheck?
ask the players - if they dont want to play tough teams they can always go play at montana. plus our tough schedule hasnt hurt us the past three years in the playoffs - it prepares us so when the playoffs come we can score 104 points in the past two semifinal games

'neers80
December 8th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Funny how App fans just forget about Lenoir-Rhyne. xrolleyesx
do you know why we have to play those kind of games? because people wont put us on their schedule. sorry we play 2 weaker teams on our schedule, after playing UM and then a team (northern arizona) who figured to be good in preseason but didnt live up to the hype.

and thats funny YOU are questioning apps schedule. of ALL the playoff teams we had the toughest schedule

kalm
December 8th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Holy crap, I didn't realize you guys played to win. Hey, maybe we should try that. I'm bringing that up at the next coaches luncheon. xthumbsupx

Listen junior, as long as you continue to use words like "guts" as part of your argument - it's still assinine. And yes, you guys have played some great FBS teams, but I'm guessing more out of financial neccessity than stones. Remember, Montana has played its share of FBS teams over the years, and won a couple as well.

And you're conference is certainly strong. But remember, this thread wasn't about ASU's greatness, it was about Montana's 2008 schedule. You're starting to assume the homer mantle you laid on someone else earlier in the thread.

'neers80
December 8th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Holy crap, I didn't realize you guys played to win. Hey, maybe we should try that. I'm bringing that up at the next coaches luncheon. xthumbsupx

Listen junior, as long as you continue to use words like "guts" as part of your argument - it's still assinine. And yes, you guys have played some great FBS teams, but I'm guessing more out of financial neccessity than stones. Remember, Montana has played its share of FBS teams over the years, and won a couple as well.

And you're conference is certainly strong. But remember, this thread wasn't about ASU's greatness, it was about Montana's 2008 schedule. You're starting to assume the homer mantle you laid on someone else earlier in the thread.
sure montana HAS played some FBS teams - IN THE PAST, but this conversation is about the current schedule. and as far as a homer - sure we all pull for our home teams. but it is an illegitament and "homer" argument to make arguments based on school favortism rather than statistics and the reality of what it is - which is not a strong schedule

kalm
December 8th, 2007, 01:04 PM
sure montana HAS played some FBS teams - IN THE PAST, but this conversation is about the current schedule. and as far as a homer - sure we all pull for our home teams. but it is an illegitament and "homer" argument to make arguments based on school favortism rather than statistics and the reality of what it is - which is not a strong schedule

a) You brougth up who ASU played in the past

b) The title of this thread is not Montana's schedule versus ASU's

c) Reality: Montana will face at least two pre-season top twenties and possible top ten's in EWU and Poly, both on the road. They will face MSU, Weber, PSU, and Davis, all which could be ranked at some point next year.

With losing a ton of starters, they need both the SUU and the CWU games on the schedule to increase their chances of earning another seed, winning the conference, or perhaps just to make the playoffs. No shame there. I wouldn't want my team scheduling itself out of the playoffs like PSU did in '06.

BTW, with perhaps the most talented EWU team in history, rumor has it that finances might find us scheduling a second FBS game next year in addition to Colorado. This would definitely jeopardize a potentially great season. We did this in 2006 opening at West Virginia and Oregon State and it was disaster. And those pussies over in Missoula only had the guts to face Iowa that year but somehow snuck past our much more brave Eagles on their way to a semi finals appearance. ;)

IABison
December 8th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Another tread turns to smack against Montana... I think I'll keep a running total next year... xrotatehx xrotatehx

If the point of scheduling an FBS team is for financial reasons, and Montana (with a 25,000 seat stadium) doesn't need to, why should they? They should focus on playing good teams within their own division. In my opinion, Cal Poly and UC Davis definitely fit the bill. Central Washington - not so much, but almost all FCS schools schedule a DII school.

'neers80
December 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM
A) See "B" and note the quote about app playing lenior rhyne by a griz fan

B) The thread conversation started and has maintained a discussion of strength of schedule. I used apps schedule to silence the argument and whining of montanas "stronger schedule."

C) you are assuming a lot of rankings in that argument

D) you contradict yourself by saying this is a montana schedule post and then slam my reply of apps schedule with a response of EWU's schedule. be consistant! - why is your bone to pic for montanas schedule anyway?

thanks for coming to boone last week, you have a good quarterback

NOTE TO ALL WHO POST: this is a montana schedule thread and there should be no conversation ABOUT the schedule.

TheValleyRaider
December 8th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Just ask Montana State about Chadron. Hell, GA Southern even lost to Central Conn. recently.

If you're trying to compare Chadron St. and Central Conn., CC is D-I xpeacex xthumbsupx

dbackjon
December 8th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Very true. The Chadron States/Central Washingtons are far better teams than any Pioneer/NEC/MAAC teams, and would be contending for the Patriot title.

kalm
December 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM
xthumbsupx
A) See "B" and note the quote about app playing lenior rhyne by a griz fan

B) The thread conversation started and has maintained a discussion of strength of schedule. I used apps schedule to silence the argument and whining of montanas "stronger schedule."

C) you are assuming a lot of rankings in that argument

D) you contradict yourself by saying this is a montana schedule post and then slam my reply of apps schedule with a response of EWU's schedule. be consistant! - why is your bone to pic for montanas schedule anyway?

thanks for coming to boone last week, you have a good quarterback

NOTE TO ALL WHO POST: this is a montana schedule thread and there should be no conversation ABOUT the schedule.

This is how the thread started:

No smack, no boasting of schedule strength, no whining. No runs, no drips, no errors.

You, on the other hand, are proud of your team (as you should be), but hijacked Montana's thread to make yourself feel even better about it.

=

Smackxthumbsupx

'neers80
December 8th, 2007, 01:30 PM
xthumbsupx

This is how the thread started:

No smack, no boasting of schedule strength, no whining. No runs, no drips, no errors.

You, on the other hand, are proud of your team (as you should be), but hijacked Montana's thread to make yourself feel even better about it.

=

Smackxthumbsupx
thats AWESOME! you smacked yourself! you started by saying "no smack" and then smacked yourself! i love it.

read the WHOLE conversation ... it is ABOUT THE STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE! the beginning thread even implies a WISH of a stronger schedule. like i said "NO ONE SHOULD COMMENT ABOUT THE SCHEDULE" - just observe it.

griz8791
December 8th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I used apps schedule to silence the argument and whining of montanas "stronger schedule."

Kalm beat me to it.

Fact is, nobody in this thread said a word about Appalachian State's schedule until you arrived. If you go back and re-read the whole thread (as I just did while trying to figure out why you're so hot under the collar) all that appears until your first post is Montana fans saying the 08 schedule is a big improvement over the 07 schedule, fairly general agreement by fans of other schools, and one or two guys from other schools saying the 08 schedule still sucks. Is it as strong as ASU's 2008 schedule, or ASU's 2007 schedule, or any other recent ASU schedule? Nobody claimed it was. It is undeniably better than Montana's 2007 schedule, which admittedly isn't saying much, but is the only point of the thread.

RationalGriz
December 8th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Everyone can talk smack about which schools are playing FBS schools and which teams are not. But the only reason UMass, App St, Sam Houston, and any other FCS teams schedules a FBS school is the $$$$$. Do not kid yourself, if money was not a factor, then very few FCS schools would schedule a FBS school. A few FCS schools win these games, but 95%+ do not, and can not. So everyone that says $$$ does not play a role in scheduling is kidding themselves. Also, East coast teams have many more scheduling options than West coast teams on the FCS level due to the proximity of the schools.

kalm
December 8th, 2007, 01:48 PM
thats AWESOME! you smacked yourself! you started by saying "no smack" and then smacked yourself! i love it.

read the WHOLE conversation ... it is ABOUT THE STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE! the beginning thread even implies a WISH of a stronger schedule. like i said "NO ONE SHOULD COMMENT ABOUT THE SCHEDULE" - just observe it.

I don't care what you say, I wasn't smacking myself. You can acuse me of responding in kind to smack that was started by you, but I definitely wasn't smacking myself. I might be an EWU fan defending the Griz, but I'm not masochistic. xthumbsupx

McNeese_beat
December 8th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Beat---the other thing some of the haters (u-ass-fan, pastel, etc) forget is that we had a 1-10 Western State of Colorado team on the schedule, and replaced them with a 10-3 Central Washington D-II playoff team. That, in and of itself, is a huge upgrade. SUU, while looking like a wash on paper, will most likely be better, and CP and Davis are huge upgrades from Albany. All in all, it's acceptable and shouldn't generate the massive amounts of crap 2007's schedule did. But, as I stated earlier in this thread, some are never happy unless there's a bodybag game or two on the schedule. UM finally is in a position financially where we don't need to schedule those games. Thank God.

The only thing they could do to make the schedule better is make the Big Sky better. Which, I think it might be. Eastern Washington had a talented young team, I suspect PSU will start finding its stride with the new offense and defense and I suspect out of Montana State, Northern Arizona and Weber, there should be a pretty fair team emerging out of that bunch.

Polar Bear
December 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Some folks will never be happy unless you play LSU, USC and Ohio St.xrolleyesx Good luck next year the Cal Poly away game will be interesting test for both teams early in the season. SUU is not as bad as their record indicates they played a tough (possibly toughest in FCS)schedule this year. UCD will be tough but you got them at home. Eastern Washington on the road with all that they return could be the conference championship game. Montana St, NAU at Portland St all quality games, and maybe NCU has turned their program around. Anyway, I see it as a huge upgrade over last year, again best of luck in 08.

GO BISONxpeacex

Hansel
December 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM
A definite improvement :)

Looks like the griz have a bye the first week of the season- meaning one less week of practice for Mont prior to their first game- which could give Poly an edge in the opener

(NDSU had the same situation in 07 and I beleive it hurt them against SFA and SHSU)

Thundar
December 8th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Keep an eye on the UM, Poly game it will be a good onexthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Yes, I AM going to use up "space" on this blog defending our schedule. If you don't like it, don't read it.

I've got news for you: playing LSU, Kansas and Michigan is NOT what has made ASU national champions the past two years-it might be that you've got a nice QB and some talent, no? We played Oregon, Iowa, etc., etc., etc. In fact 2007 was the first year in a while we HAVEN'T played an FCS game. Right now there are about 50 other FCS teams that played a "championship schedule", including 7 from your own vaunted conference, and they're all sitting home. To what do you attribute THAT?

I tell ya, a couple good years and suddenly App State is full of ****** geniuses. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM
If $'s were not involved, would ASU be playing any of those games? Reducing the argument to matter of courage is assinine. xthumbsupx

Not for people of his intelligence level...makes perfect sense to him. xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
do you know why we have to play those kind of games? because people wont put us on their schedule. sorry we play 2 weaker teams on our schedule, after playing UM and then a team (northern arizona) who figured to be good in preseason but didnt live up to the hype.

and thats funny YOU are questioning apps schedule. of ALL the playoff teams we had the toughest schedule

And you, in your infinite wisdom, are just CERTAIN that ASU is the ONLY team that has that problem, right? xrolleyesx

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 04:32 PM
sure Montana HAS played some FBS teams - IN THE PAST, but this conversation is about the current schedule. and as far as a homer - sure we all pull for our home teams. but it is an illegitament and "homer" argument to make arguments based on school favortism rather than statistics and the reality of what it is - which is not a strong schedule

Playing FCS teams <> guts, courage, power, or talent. Lots (hell, the vast majority) of FCS teams play FBS teams (apparently because they're "braver" than the Grizzlies), and get their azzes handed to them on a platter. It proves nothing.

The only argument I've made in this entire thread is that UM's 2008 schedule is much better than 2007's. I never ONCE made any comment about 2008's schedule relative to ASU or any other school's schedule. You don't agree? Fine. I could care less. But don't go putting words in my mouth....and if you do, at least spell them correctly. xreadx xreadx xreadx

Mountaineer
December 8th, 2007, 04:36 PM
You just took 4 posts to respond to a new guy with 13 posts to his name? xlolx Calm down man. xbeerchugx xsmoochx :p

I like the schedule. Cal Poly, UC Davis and a tougher Big Sky - not much there to complain about. xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
December 8th, 2007, 04:39 PM
You just took 4 posts to respond to a new guy with 13 posts to his name? xlolx Calm down man. xbeerchugx xsmoochx :p

I like the schedule. Cal Poly, UC Davis and a tougher Big Sky - not much there to complain about. xthumbsupx

He's been very vocal. I feel the need to shut him up before he gets any traction. Besides, I've been gone for a couple hours and as a tad behind. :o :o

nwFL Griz
December 8th, 2007, 04:45 PM
This schedule is very good in my opinion. Throw out the conference part, as we all know, the school has zero control over that. If you look at the OOC part, then the Griz have made a solid schedule using teams in their region (which was a necessity).

That App fan is trippin, Florida's schedule is complete (has been for awhile) and they are not playing App St. Hell, right now, from all I can tell, App St only has 2 OOC sheduled so far....@JMU and home for Presbyterian. So he shouldn't be throwing stones by any stretch.

JohnStOnge
December 8th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Depending on what they have coming back next year, Central Washington may be dangerous. Could be the worst thing: A Division II school that's as good as the better FCS schools. They got eliminated in the third round of the D-II playoffs this year by Grand Valley State. No shame in that.

Looking at their schedule, by the way, I saw an example of how things can change from one game to the next. They lost 59-21 to Nebraska Omaha in their last regular season game. Two games later, in the second game of the playoffs, they beat Nebraska Omaha 20-17.

mvemjsunpx
December 8th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Very true. The Chadron States/Central Washingtons are far better teams than any Pioneer/NEC/MAAC teams, and would be contending for the Patriot title.

I'm not sure how you could say that Central Washington is better than Dayton, San Diego, or Albany. Those 3 would likely smoke Central Washington (this obviously isn't an attack on Montana's scheduling since Montana played Albany this year).

Chadron is better, but it would be tough for them to beat any of those 3 even with Woodhead. When he's gone next year, they will likely be a mediocre DII again.

The mid-major ranks are a lot better than they were just a few years ago, which is fortunate since there likely won't be a mid-major designation next year, at least not a meaningful one.

kalm
December 8th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure how you could say that Central Washington is better than Dayton, San Diego, or Albany. Those 3 would likely smoke Central Washington (this obviously isn't an attack on Montana's scheduling since Montana played Albany this year).

Chadron is better, but it would be tough for them to beat any of those 3 even with Woodhead. When he's gone next year, they will likely be a mediocre DII again.

The mid-major ranks are a lot better than they were just a few years ago, which is fortunate since there likely won't be a mid-major designation next year, at least not a meaningful one.

Based on what?

mvemjsunpx
December 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Based on what?

Based on how they played this season. Dayton & USD had a lot of talent relatively speaking. I'm guessing both Hoyng or Johnson would have torched CWU's secondary. Albany was a solid team as well. Remember that those 3 were all in the playoff discussion, particularly Dayton. Also, CWU's run defense was weak, so USD & Albany's strong run games would have been successful.

I'm pretty sure all 3 would beat CWU &, though it might not be a laugher, it likely wouldn't be a sweat, either.

It wasn't the case a few years ago, but now the best mid-majors seem to be stronger than the top DII teams.

DuckDuckGriz
December 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Keep in mind this is the same Central Washington that blew out Montana State in 2002 or 2003 (either way MSU beat the Griz that year).

I know NO ONE on AGS will believe this - but they are much better than they appear to be.

BigApp
December 8th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I know NO ONE on AGS will believe this - but they are much better than they appear to be.

I believe it.

appfan2008
December 8th, 2007, 07:21 PM
My opinion of this schedule is that it is a vast improvement over this year and that is all that can be asked of them... its not a top tier schedule my any stretch but definately better

Peems
December 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Carroll College beat Central Washington when they were #1 in D2. We can't lose to a team that Carroll beat or we will never hear the end of the "Carroll could beat the Griz" talk

JohnStOnge
December 8th, 2007, 07:59 PM
It wasn't the case a few years ago, but now the best mid-majors seem to be stronger than the top DII teams.

I don't think that's a given at all. We've had similar discussion before about how top D-IIs compare to top FCS. For one of these discussion I went back over the past five years or so looking at how I-AA/FCS playoff teams did against D-II playoff games and it was very close. In fact I think the D-II playoff teams may have had a slight edge. I'm not going to recreate that now but there are some things I can remember.

There have been two instances in which the teams that went on to win the D-II and I-AA national titles played and they split. D-II champ Cal Poly beat I-AA champ Boise State 23-20 in 1980 and I-AA champ Youngstown State beat D-II champ North Alabama 17-14 in 1994.

In 2003, I-AA seminfinalist Florida Atlantic was beaten 45-17 by D-II playoff team Valdosta State and OVC champ Jacksonville State was beaten 28-16 by North Alabama, another D-II playoff team. Montana, another I-AA playoff team, was beaten that season by North Dakota State; which was still D-II at that time and did not make the D-II tournament after a 7-4 season.

I think that in most if not all years there are teams in D-II that could compete very well in the FCS tournament. I think that FCS teams are stronger on average but when you're talking about the elite of D-II each year you're talking about some real good football teams.

I think Montana's taking a risk scheduling a D-II like Central Washington because they've got some history of being really good sometimes in that Division. They'll lose credit if they lose to them no matter how good they are and they'll get no credit if they win...again no matter how good they are.

Kelly Green
December 9th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Carroll College beat Central Washington when they were #1 in D2. We can't lose to a team that Carroll beat or we will never hear the end of the "Carroll could beat the Griz" talk

When was CWU #1 in DII?

The Sheriff
December 9th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Keep in mind this is the same Central Washington that blew out Montana State in 2002 or 2003 (either way MSU beat the Griz that year).

I'll echo that thought. Despite them having the DII label on them, they will prove to be a formidable opponent. It is no disgrace having Central Washington on the schedule. Anyone remember what Western Washington did to UC-Davis this year?? Western finished in the bottom half of the same DII conference that Central Washington almost won.

There are worse DII teams you could schedule.

Hey Griz fans, when will the North Dakota Fighting Sioux appear on your schedule. Lets get that nice regional rivalry going. My wife and I need a reason for visiting western Montana again, one our favorite places on Earth.

AZGrizFan
December 9th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I'll echo that thought. Despite them having the DII label on them, they will prove to be a formidable opponent. It is no disgrace having Central Washington on the schedule. Anyone remember what Western Washington did to UC-Davis this year?? Western finished in the bottom half of the same DII conference that Central Washington almost won.

There are worse DII teams you could schedule.

Hey Griz fans, when will the North Dakota Fighting Sioux appear on your schedule. Lets get that nice regional rivalry going. My wife and I need a reason for visiting western Montana again, one our favorite places on Earth.

Ssshhhhhhhhh.....don't TELL everybody! xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

putter
December 10th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Not a bad lineup but they had better not charge me $25 to watch Central Washington! Poly game will be tough and if SUU adjusts to a new coach they could be good as they played well in their games this year. What App fans need to be careful of is, with their expansion, they will start bringing in big revenue for home games, and will face what Montana faces.

Fresno St. Alum
December 10th, 2007, 01:50 AM
C.Washington was a playoff team in D-II this year. seems solid enough

mlbowl
December 10th, 2007, 08:04 AM
That App fan is trippin, Florida's schedule is complete (has been for awhile) and they are not playing App St.

Oh crap...Florida's afraid to play them too!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx

Casey_Orourke
December 10th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Granted the schedule may still seem a little soft, but Montana may not be able to afford any other type of schedule, because with @ 25k per home game, the athletic department budget has become dependent on the football revenue.

You really think they would give up the "sure win" of a weak FCS or DII game at home just to play a tough FCS or mid-major FBS team for a payout of 100k to 250k in a possible bodybag game?

But then again....CalPoly could prove to be a tougher game than expected.

slostang
December 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Granted the schedule may still seem a little soft, but Montana may not be able to afford any other type of schedule, because with @ 25k per home game, the athletic department budget has become dependent on the football revenue.

You really think they would give up the "sure win" of a weak FCS or DII game at home just to play a tough FCS or mid-major FBS team for a payout of 100k to 250k in a possible bodybag game?

But then again....CalPoly could prove to be a tougher game than expected.

After the last three game the Griz have played with Cal Poly, I think most Griz fans expect this to be a very tough game. Cal Poly is loaded next year and they are always tough at home.

Saint3333
December 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM
This schedule is very good in my opinion. Throw out the conference part, as we all know, the school has zero control over that. If you look at the OOC part, then the Griz have made a solid schedule using teams in their region (which was a necessity).

That App fan is trippin, Florida's schedule is complete (has been for awhile) and they are not playing App St. Hell, right now, from all I can tell, App St only has 2 OOC sheduled so far....@JMU and home for Presbyterian. So he shouldn't be throwing stones by any stretch.

ASU is playing Florida... in 2011 I believe. I'd say that ASU @ JMU is the toughest OOC FCS game going into next year. Both teams will definitely be in the top 10 if not the top 5 (JMU has very few seniors).

Montana's schedule is better for next year. I'd say average difficulty which is a huge step after this year.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
December 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I just wish they'd replace CWU with NDSU. NDSU has an open date on the 27th of September!

Side note: I WILL be making the trip over from the AZ to Cal Poly this year! Since the NAU game is in Missoula, I need a road trip to make! xnodx xnodx xnodx

I'll be up there with ya...the Griz are finally coming within a reasonable driving distance for me :D

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
December 10th, 2007, 07:42 PM

I think you'll find most of us on here try and at least be cordial to one another...there's no reason to get nasty xnonox

appstate38
December 10th, 2007, 07:51 PM

No smack intended, but a serious question.... Do you feel like your schedule prepared your team for the playoffs??? If you can answer that question with honesty then I am cool with who ever you decide to schedule

RationalGriz
December 10th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I do not think a more difficult schedule would have necessarily made the Griz a better team come playoff time. The problems for the Griz were more directly related to poor technique, execution, and in the Wofford game, defensive game plan. There are all areas that need to worked on during practice more so than games. The only thing the schedule did is inflate expectations of many fans that did not really see the big picture.

Gil Dobie
December 10th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Good to see Cal-Poly on the road xthumbsupx

rancher griz
December 10th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I'd rather replace SUU than CWU. I think CWU is the better team. They don't lose hardly anybody from a playoff team and have an All-American calibre quarterback in Mike Reilly. Who happens to be from Montana and likely has this one cirled on his calender. I'm betting CWU gives us a tougher challenge than many think. SUU is probably the least talented on the schedule. Poly and Davis are big tests, especially Poly in their house. That might be the toughest game of the year. It will be interesting how EWU will be after losing Wulff to Wazzu.

AppMan
December 11th, 2007, 07:09 AM

You post the schedule and invite people to discuss it. Then you get upset when someone posts something critical. Hummm.......

Guess instead of "Discuss....." you meant to say..... Compliments?

AZGrizFan
December 11th, 2007, 08:23 AM
No smack intended, but a serious question.... Do you feel like your schedule prepared your team for the playoffs??? If you can answer that question with honesty then I am cool with who ever you decide to schedule

We were two feet from moving on. We played the SoCon champ to a standstill....the team that beat the SoCon team that's in the NC game. I'm pretty sure we'd have beaten Richmond, but after that, who knows. It's a crap shoot every year, but I'd say late season injuries had more to do with our failure to advance than our September football schedule. xpeacex

AZGrizFan
December 11th, 2007, 08:24 AM
You post the schedule and invite people to discuss it. Then you get upset when someone posts something critical. Hummm.......

His post wasn't "critical". xcoffeex

Bobcat in NC
December 11th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I think it's a pretty damn decent schedule. I wouldn't mind seeing one more OOC road game, but the Griz do what everyone wants to do; play more games at home than on the road. Can't blame them, really. Regardless, the schedule is a definite improvement over this year's. xthumbsupx

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 11th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I thought I had read somewhere that Montana was playing a game with Grambling in Vegas. Was I wrong on that or is it not this year?

nwFL Griz
December 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I thought I had read somewhere that Montana was playing a game with Grambling in Vegas. Was I wrong on that or is it not this year?

That was something that was trying to be worked out, but I believe Grambling had other ideas for their opener. There were rumors of a UNI-Montana matchup instead....but it never panned out.

GannonFan
December 11th, 2007, 10:31 AM
It's an alright schedule - not a great one, but not a bad one either. Probably 80% of FCS teams have a schedule that looks just like it. You can't do anything to make the conference games harder, but while I jest about the Big Sky, it's still a legit power conference (it's not the CAA, SoCon or Gateway, but it's not the MAAC either). No problem with the schedule at all.

bluehenbillk
December 11th, 2007, 10:41 AM
If you're going to play a D-2 at least they play a decent one with Cent. Washington. Better than the '07 slate. I'll give you that.

AZGrizFan
December 11th, 2007, 11:00 AM

His post wasn't "critical". xcoffeex

It's an alright schedule - not a great one, but not a bad one either. Probably 80% of FCS teams have a schedule that looks just like it. You can't do anything to make the conference games harder, but while I jest about the Big Sky, it's still a legit power conference (it's not the CAA, SoCon or Gateway, but it's not the MAAC either). No problem with the schedule at all.

If you're going to play a D-2 at least they play a decent one with Cent. Washington. Better than the '07 slate. I'll give you that.

See, AppMan. THESE are discussion points. What uassfan said was not. It's a fine line, I know, but intelligent people know the difference. xcoffeex

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 11th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I question any team putting a DII on the schedule.

Not that many top DIIs aren't as good or better then many non-schollies.

It just seems like a no win situation.
You win you get no credit, you lose and everyone points to it.
Why take that chance?

AZGrizFan
December 11th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Why take that chance?

Actually, while CWU is a very good D-II team, I agree with you. There is virtually nothing to gain from playing them. I'd rather see a Southland team, a Gateway team, or something else. But, it is what it is. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

WrenFGun
December 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I really have no problem with this schedule for Montana. They have two quality OOC opponents in UC Davis and Cal Poly, and while they play 12 games, one of them is against a DII. It's that or a bye, so it's hard to criticize that kind of move. As for SUU, everyone has a cupcake game on their OOC.

If Montana goes undefeated this year, they'll deserve it.

GannonFan
December 11th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Why take that chance?

Central Washington is one of those top tier DII teams, though, so they are good competition. And while the committee says that they only look at DI wins, I find it hard to believe that if someone played Valdosta St or Grand Valley St or NW Missouri St that the committee would seriously dock a team for playing them. It's the quality of the team that matters, not the classification they may happen to be in.

The other thing to keep in mind is that 2008 is a 12 game year - playing a DII in a 12 game schedule isn't as big of a deal as it is in playing an 11 game schedule. First of all, many teams won't even play 12 games and will stick with the normal 11. And one game against a DII team is easier to get over in a schedule where you play 11 other good games. 8-4 and playing a DII team will still be good enough to warrant serious consideration for a playoff bid, and 9-3 with a DII on the schedule is almost a lock to make the playoffs (and for the DF's out there, that's assuming there are quality games on the schedule).

WrenFGun
December 11th, 2007, 11:32 AM
The real question is how the committee will look at 8W team without a DII W and a 9W team with a DII win. Does the 9W team get the nod there? I'd tend to think so.

Rest assured, it seems highly unlikely that a 7-4 team is getting in next year. :)

putter
December 11th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I agree. If you took Montana's schedule and put a bye in for CW in an 11 game schedule or have them in there for a 12 game schedule - is there really a difference? That is unless the Griz lose that game...

WrenFGun
December 11th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Yes..if anything, it's an unnecessary risk and a chance to get injured. I would just play the eleven games, but they're likely making a good chunk of change for playing the twelve.

AZGrizFan
December 11th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Yes..if anything, it's an unnecessary risk and a chance to get injured. I would just play the eleven games, but they're likely making a good chunk of change for playing the twelve.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

dbackjon
December 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM
The real question is how the committee will look at 8W team without a DII W and a 9W team with a DII win. Does the 9W team get the nod there? I'd tend to think so.

Rest assured, it seems highly unlikely that a 7-4 team is getting in next year. :)

If only NAU could have beaten Sac St, that would have been an interesting test this year.

UNH at 7-4, 4-4 (6th in conference) with wins over a very weak FCS non-schollies Iona and Dartmouth, and an FBS win over 3-9 Marshall, and a loss to 3-9 Northeastern by 18

or

NAU at 7-4, 5-3 (3rd in conference) with losses to FBS 5-7 Arizona, two-time DNC App State, and playoff participants EWU and Montana, but with one of the seven wins against D-II Adams St.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 11th, 2007, 02:09 PM
If only NAU could have beaten Sac St, that would have been an interesting test this year.

UNH at 7-4, 4-4 (6th in conference) with wins over a very weak FCS non-schollies Iona and Dartmouth, and an FBS win over 3-9 Marshall, and a loss to 3-9 Northeastern by 18

or

NAU at 7-4, 5-3 (3rd in conference) with losses to FBS 5-7 Arizona, two-time DNC App State, and playoff participants EWU and Montana, but with one of the seven wins against D-II Adams St.

Sorry Jon, but based on what the committee has done the past few years, the selection would have been UNH. NAU still would have had only six D-I wins, right? Am I missing something? xconfusedx

Hasn't it been made clear over the past year on this forum that there is a huge difference in the variety of non scholarship football played by the Ivy and Patriot League compared to the MAAC? Ivy and Patriot schools spend comparable amounts of money to the full scholarship schools.

Dartmouth is a game that will always be on the UNH schedule as long as Dartmouth agrees to play. It is an in-state rivalry game, a quality D-I opponent and a guaranteed home and home OOC series. You've got to remember that the Ivy and Patriot schools are the only other opponents available in the Northeast that have fully funded programs. Some of the NEC teams have become quality opponents as well. After that it's a flight game for OOC options.

AZGrizFan
December 11th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Sorry Jon, but based on what the committee has done the past few years, the selection would have been UNH. NAU still would have had only six D-I wins, right? Am I missing something? xconfusedx

Hasn't it been made clear over the past year on this forum that there is a huge difference in the variety of non scholarship football played by the Ivy and Patriot League compared to the MAAC? Ivy and Patriot schools spend comparable amounts of money to the full scholarship schools.

Dartmouth is a game that will always be on the UNH schedule as long as Dartmouth agrees to play. It is an in-state rivalry game, a quality D-I opponent and a guaranteed home and home OOC series. You've got to remember that the Ivy and Patriot schools are the only other opponents available in the Northeast that have fully funded programs. Some of the NEC teams have become quality opponents as well. After that it's a flight game for OOC options.

As opposed to EVERY game being a flight game for UM OOC opponents.xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

WrenFGun
December 11th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Yeah, it would've been UNH. It's not the quality of the 4 losses, it's the quality of the 6 non D1 wins that would've done NAU in.

putter
December 11th, 2007, 03:21 PM
As opposed to EVERY game being a flight game for UM OOC opponents.xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

The West just does not have the number of FCS teams to schedule that the easts does. Everyone has to fly to Montana or Montana has to fly. What does that mean? Bigger guarantees that Montana has to pay or has to be paid to travel.

There is not enough outside money for the FCS to offset program expenses like the FBS has. Why aren't FCS playoff conferences able to share the revenue from ESPN? They are making money broadcasting the games aren't they? More love has to be spread around to the FCS.

Also, Montana has 4 away conference games in 2008. 3 they will fly to which means, given $50k to get a charter, that Montana spends $150k to travel to just 3 games (before hotel, food, etc.) with no revenue to offset those costs. The midwest and west conferences have more costs to playing conference games than the east coast teams..just a fact.

GrizDen
December 11th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I agree. If you took Montana's schedule and put a bye in for CW in an 11 game schedule or have them in there for a 12 game schedule - is there really a difference? That is unless the Griz lose that game...

The difference is about $300-350K :)

Now that the debt of the Athletic Department is gonzo, I'd rather see the Griz have a bye week with this schedule than play CW. Like others have posted before me, it's a no-win situation from an "quality win" factor and won't be taken into consideration for the playoffs (unless the Griz lose).

Yes, it's nice to have the football team making tons of money for the school, but having the players fresh, healthy and to get at least one week off from playing a game sure would be nice too. xpeacex