PDA

View Full Version : Northwestern State Cancels Rest of Season

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 26th, 2023, 04:15 PM
Head Coach has also resigned...

https://www.wbrz.com/news/northwestern-state-calls-off-remainder-of-2023-football-season/

Go...gate
October 26th, 2023, 07:06 PM
Wow....

Puddin Tane
October 27th, 2023, 01:41 AM
This is kinda confusing, but theres some shady stuff going on

https://www.ksla.com/2023/10/13/roommate-nsu-football-player-shot-killed-arrested/

McNeese72
October 27th, 2023, 05:49 AM

https://www.ksla.com/2023/10/13/roommate-nsu-football-player-shot-killed-arrested/

I am hearing rumors that there is more to the story than what is coming out.

McCowboys
October 27th, 2023, 07:54 AM

Puddin, I am going to send you a DM (not about this situation with NSU, though.)

FUBeAR
October 27th, 2023, 08:02 AM
I am hearing rumors that there is more to the story than what is coming out.
FUBeAR is willing to bet that 99.9% of readers of this ‘story’ think there is more to the story than has been revealed at this point. Hard to keep a lid on anything these days. FUBeAR thinks this may get really yucky.

McCowboys
October 27th, 2023, 08:05 AM
FUBeAR is willing to bet that 99.9% of readers of this ‘story’ think there is more or the story than has been revealed at this point. Hard to keep a lid on anything these days. FUBeAR thinks this may get really yucky.

I am afraid that FUBeAR may be correct. :(

McCowboys
October 27th, 2023, 08:09 AM
None of this has made sense to me from the start. The player that was murdered was apparently a good student (on the honor roll) and so what on earth was he doing out of his place at 1 AM when he was shot? A drug deal? A drug deal gone bad? Was he lured out under false pretensions?
Now another arrest.
I am wondering if there has been a big coverup and if this whole team was just a cesspool.
Whatever, it is bad enough that the powers that be at NSU didn't even think they could finish the season. What a mess!

DFW HOYA
October 27th, 2023, 09:12 AM
Probably a combination of factors: more problems inside the program - players, staff, or both.

Nobody ends a season 6-0, so 0-6 was an easier out.

FUBeAR
October 27th, 2023, 09:38 AM
I am afraid that FUBeAR may be correct. :(
Smells, to FUBeAR, a lot like this tragedy.

https://www.maconbibb.us/men-sentenced-to-prison-in-mercer-university-basketball-players-shooting-death/

Bryan was a beloved Player, working on his Master’s…Fan Favorite & Model Citizen…it seemed…

The Hoops Bears limped through the rest of their season, but FUBeAR also thinks this tragedy severely damaged their Basketball program…to the point that they really have still not recovered. It got very yucky…for a long time.

smilo
October 27th, 2023, 10:09 AM
Best not to speculate, especially against the deceased who cannot defend themselves.
1) Honor roll students widely use drugs - maybe adderall is #1 now, but marijuana is still near the top. I may thoroughly loath it, but half this country is loaded with weed stores. Let's not impugn his reputation by referring to this as a 'drug deal' (with only circumstantial evidence at best) which is loaded with awful connotations even for a buyer.
2) 1 AM is not an unreasonable time to be out on a Thursday night for any college student and has limited implication on moral fortitude.

Let the facts come out on this tragedy. We can read between the lines on how sketchy the details have been.

ElCid
October 27th, 2023, 10:40 AM
A lot of people will not like this, but it is almost always true. Bad things happen to people who hang around with or even interact with bad people. I know there is still a lot to be discovered here. Who knows what they will find. Not saying this kid was bad himself, he was probably a good kid, but not a good idea to be near the types that were arrested. A cautionary tale for youngsters? Probably. Bad choices can affect a lot of people, like entire teams, not to mention your life.

Most likely not a factor here, but unfortunately we may see more incidents due to the money that some players in some programs may find themselves getting. An unintended, but easier predicted outcome. I certainly hope not.

DFW HOYA
October 27th, 2023, 10:58 AM
Best not to speculate, especially against the deceased who cannot defend themselves.
1) Honor roll students widely use drugs - maybe adderall is #1 now, but marijuana is still near the top. I may thoroughly loath it, but half this country is loaded with weed stores. Let's not impugn his reputation by referring to this as a 'drug deal' (with only circumstantial evidence at best) which is loaded with awful connotations even for a buyer.
2) 1 AM is not an unreasonable time to be out on a Thursday night for any college student and has limited implication on moral fortitude.

One of the arrests was a teammate.

https://www.ktbs.com/news/second-arrest-made-in-connection-with-nsu-students-death/article_b2322760-6f93-11ee-bd5c-c77f2c9b408d.html

A photo of what they found on this suspect should be very disturbing to any athletic department.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/ktbs.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/91/c917ff52-6f95-11ee-ad66-83447c1bf429/6532fb86a917a.image.jpg?resize=895%2C495

McCowboys
October 27th, 2023, 11:09 AM
This article says Mr. Caldwell was shot and killed in his apartment. I guess I misread it when they said he was killed "on University Drive."

FUBeAR
October 27th, 2023, 11:21 AM
A lot of people will not like this, but it is almost always true. Bad things happen to people who hang around with or even interact with bad people. I know there is still a lot to be discovered here. Who knows what they will find. Not saying this kid was bad himself, he was probably a good kid, but not a good idea to be near the types that were arrested. A cautionary tale for youngsters? Probably. Bad choices can affect a lot of people, like entire teams, not to mention your life.

Most likely not a factor here, but unfortunately we may see more incidents due to the money that some players in some programs may find themselves getting. An unintended, but easier predicted outcome. I certainly hope not.
When FUBeAR was a young lad of 18, he appeared before a magistrate who was setting a court date for FUBeAR on charges of Grand Larceny. FUBeAR told the magistrate he had no clue what any of this was about and the magistrate said something to FUBeAR that he has never forgotten. He said,

”Mr. FUBeAR, if you hang around with chiggers, you’re gonna get bit.”

He was correct and ElCid is correct.

Just FYI - that case was a situation of complete mistaken identity. One of the ‘chiggers’ involved - a witness for the ‘victim’ went to Jr. High with FUBeAR and, apparently, the alleged perpetrator’s name (or alias) was very similar to FUBeAR’s. Since she remembered FUBeAR’s full name from Jr. High (the last time he saw her), she identified FUBeAR (or his name actually) as the perp. All charges were dropped, the court date was, of course, canceled, and the arrest record was expunged within 8 hours of FUBeAR being fingerprinted / mugshotted. FUBeAR ain’t even know those dang chiggers. So, that’s also a cautionary tale about things not being as they seem. Glad we had no Social Media at the time. Furman may have rescinded FUBeAR’s offer just based on the initial (mistaken identity) arrest.

McCowboys
October 27th, 2023, 12:52 PM
https://natchitochesparishjournal.com/2023/10/27/family-of-murdered-nsu-football-player-to-announce-pending-litigation-today-at-130/

Family of slain NSU football player to announce pending litigation today at 1:30

Libertine
October 27th, 2023, 01:13 PM
A headline on Yahoo.com's homepage reads, " College team ends season after player allegedly killed teammate

(https://www.yahoo.com/sports/northwestern-state-cancels-remainder-of-2023-season-after-players-shooting-death-200800380.html) ".

FWIW, the article attached to the headline says no such thing.

Libertine
October 27th, 2023, 01:47 PM
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/ktbs.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/91/c917ff52-6f95-11ee-ad66-83447c1bf429/6532fb86a917a.image.jpg?resize=895%2C495

Unrelated to the tragedy, I'm always fascinated by these pictures and trying to figure out the logic of who put them together.

We've got:

* (starting from upper left) an open box of ammo next to two stacked boxes of ammo and just above an obviously empty ammo box.
* That's just above a collection of magazines which includes a mag for a .22 rifle which is not in the picture.
* Just below that is a roll of duct tape which is....bad, I guess?
* Next to the duct tape is a recoil spring which is....somehow also bad.
* Next to the recoil spring is a cardboard box for a magazine coupler which allows users to attach mags to each other for easier switching. But, this box is clearly empty (it's smashed flat) and the actual coupler is nowhere in sight.
* Just above that, a cardboard box (also possibly empty) for an AR foregrip but which does not appear in this picture.
* A bunch of empty 5.56/.223 shell casings.
* A Glock pistol case which presumably contained one of the two pistols in the picture. This case is also presumably empty because, if it wasn't, they'd be showing us what's inside it.
* A knock-off MP5 cerakoted to look like a Fortnite weapon.
* Some dude's wallet.
* An AR pistol with a laser AND a flashlight but no actual sights.
* A single empty 9mm shell casing.
* A pistol mag that doesn't fit any of the weapons on the table.
* Three bags of weed.
* A jar of...something. Could be drugs or it could be dead fireflies for all we can tell from this pic.
* $671 in cash, including what appears to be a single $2 bill.

Just fascinating.

McCowboys
October 27th, 2023, 03:44 PM
Unrelated to the tragedy, I'm always fascinated by these pictures and trying to figure out the logic of who put them together.

We've got:

* (starting from upper left) an open box of ammo next to two stacked boxes of ammo and just above an obviously empty ammo box.
* That's just above a collection of magazines which includes a mag for a .22 rifle which is not in the picture.
* Just below that is a roll of duct tape which is....bad, I guess?
* Next to the duct tape is a recoil spring which is....somehow also bad.
* Next to the recoil spring is a cardboard box for a magazine coupler which allows users to attach mags to each other for easier switching. But, this box is clearly empty (it's smashed flat) and the actual coupler is nowhere in sight.
* Just above that, a cardboard box (also possibly empty) for an AR foregrip but which does not appear in this picture.
* A bunch of empty 5.56/.223 shell casings.
* A Glock pistol case which presumably contained one of the two pistols in the picture. This case is also presumably empty because, if it wasn't, they'd be showing us what's inside it.
* A knock-off MP5 cerakoted to look like a Fortnite weapon.
* Some dude's wallet.
* An AR pistol with a laser AND a flashlight but no actual sights.
* A single empty 9mm shell casing.
* A pistol mag that doesn't fit any of the weapons on the table.
* Three bags of weed.
* A jar of...something. Could be drugs or it could be dead fireflies for all we can tell from this pic.
* $671 in cash, including what appears to be a single $2 bill.

Just fascinating.

In the photo is a Natchitoches multi-jurisdictional drug task force badge and a Northwestern State football bag and a Natchitoches Police badge. I will venture to guess that these are the items found in the deceased Mr. Caldwell's room that were in the possession of his roommate who, according to the family's statement, had a criminal history and had pulled a gun and threatened Mr. Caldwell previously and said incident had been reported to the NSU coach. That seems related to me.

Libertine
October 27th, 2023, 04:14 PM
In the photo is a Natchitoches multi-jurisdictional drug task force badge and a Northwestern State football bag and a Natchitoches Police badge. I will venture to guess that these are the items found in the deceased Mr. Caldwell's room that were in the possession of his roommate who, according to the family's statement, had a criminal history and had pulled a gun and threatened Mr. Caldwell previously and said incident had been reported to the NSU coach. That seems related to me.

My observations on the odd makeup of the picture are unrelated to the tragedy.

McCowboys
October 27th, 2023, 04:19 PM
My observations on the odd makeup of the picture are unrelated to the tragedy.

I will never understand why people who take photos like this never confer with you, me, or FUBeAR before doing so.

McNeese75
October 27th, 2023, 11:19 PM
Based on the family's press release I guess now we know why the Coach resigned. Sounds like some serious litigation coming.

bonarae
October 27th, 2023, 11:44 PM
Based on the family's press release I guess now we know why the Coach resigned. Sounds like some serious litigation coming.

https://www.kplctv.com/2023/10/27/family-ronnie-caldwell-jr-hold-press-conference-after-nsu-head-football-coach-resignation/ - link if interested

Libertine
October 28th, 2023, 06:43 PM
From NSU QB Tyler Vander Waal:

https://twitter.com/TVDub_/status/1718294551578710183

POD Knows
October 28th, 2023, 09:56 PM
From NSU QB Tyler Vander Waal:

https://twitter.com/TVDub_/status/1718294551578710183They did screw these players and they screwed the teams that they were supposed to play. They could have played the season, the coach could have resigned and the assistants taken over. I would bet that the deceased, if he could be heard, would have wanted the team to continue on, the whole thing is a bull**** move by the powers that be at that school. The ****ed up the deal with the victim and then compounded it with this action.

bonarae
October 28th, 2023, 11:24 PM
Will the Demons suspend the football program as well like FAMU briefly did? xdontknowx

McCowboys
October 29th, 2023, 06:20 AM
Will the Demons suspend the football program as well like FAMU briefly did? xdontknowx

Maybe they should. This looks like a lack of institutional control. The good of the athletes (at least according to that player) were not even considered.

Bisonator
October 30th, 2023, 08:20 AM
Wow what a sad situation.xsmhx

McCowboys
October 30th, 2023, 08:28 AM
Here is an interview with NSU QB Tyler Vander Waal: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1761104/13863760-2023-nsu-quarterback-tyler-vander-waal-joins-billy-west-and-speaks-about-cancellation-of-football-season