PDA

View Full Version : With Appalachian State's win tonight...

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2007, 10:34 PM
The Socon has had representatives in 15 of the 30 FCS/I-AA national championship games...thanks, App.!

Georgia Southern 1998, 1999, 2000
Western Carolina 1983
Furman 1985, 1988, 2001
Marshall 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996
Appalachian State 2005, 2006, 2007

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx
xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

http://davebraddy.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/socon.gif

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Yosef_grrl99
December 7th, 2007, 10:41 PM
The Socon has had representatives in 15 of the 30 FCS/I-AA national championship games...thanks, App.!

Western Carolina 1983
Furman 1985, 1988, 2001

xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

SO...CON! SO...CON!! SO...CON!!!

xnodx

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Interesting stat - those runs to the final game include 44 games (Furman in '85 had a bye first round) - of those 44 games, only 6 were played on the road. 39 of 44 playoff games played at home. Just sayin. xwhistlex

dungeonjoe
December 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Interesting stat - those runs to the final game include 44 games (Furman in '85 had a bye first round) - of those 44 games, only 6 were played on the road. 39 of 44 playoff games played at home. Just sayin. xwhistlex
just sayin the SoCon is a strong, rich diverse conference, capable of outbidding others for home games and winning to get them.

RadMann
December 7th, 2007, 10:57 PM
CAA - So Con this year:

Hofstra over Furman
Richmond over Wofford
ASU squeeked by JMU
ASU over Richmond

Sounds like nowadays the So Con = ASU!

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 10:57 PM
just sayin the SoCon is a strong, rich diverse conference, capable of outbidding others for home games and winning to get them.

And the ability in many years to come into the playoffs with great records that give them high seeds. Of course, that gets back into the whole big 3 debate but just sayin.

The Yankee/A10/CAA wasn't that good nationally until the late 90's, and only 6 teams from that group have made the finals - interesting that in those 15 games to do that (UMass played in a shortened playoff in '78 and UD had a bye in '82) that the Yankee/A10/CAA played 8 games on the road.

SoCon - 39 out of 44 games at home - 87% of the games at home
Yank/A10/CAA - 7 out of 15 games at home - 47% of the games at home, and that number gets worse if UD wins tomorrow.

Just sayin. xwhistlex

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 10:58 PM
And didn't you guys hate Marshall and the Marshall Invitational like the rest of the I-AA world did at the time? Odd to see such a warm embrace of them now. Guess if you live long enough you get to see everything. xrolleyesx

lizrdgizrd
December 7th, 2007, 11:01 PM
And didn't you guys hate Marshall and the Marshall Invitational like the rest of the I-AA world did at the time? Odd to see such a warm embrace of them now. Guess if you live long enough you get to see everything. xrolleyesx

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. :D

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Absence makes the heart grow fonder. :D

Who knows, maybe in 10 years a poll of SoCon's fans favorite football player of the past could be Randy Moss then. xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2007, 11:03 PM
And the ability in many years to come into the playoffs with great records that give them high seeds. Of course, that gets back into the whole big 3 debate but just sayin.

The Yankee/A10/CAA wasn't that good nationally until the late 90's, and only 6 teams from that group have made the finals - interesting that in those 15 games to do that (UMass played in a shortened playoff in '78 and UD had a bye in '82) that the Yankee/A10/CAA played 8 games on the road.

SoCon - 39 out of 44 games at home - 87% of the games at home
Yank/A10/CAA - 7 out of 15 games at home - 47% of the games at home, and that number gets worse if UD wins tomorrow.

Just sayin. xwhistlex

I think you have somewhat of a point. The Socon was pretty bad in the early and mid 90s when Marshall made their runs and they were better but still not great in the first two years that ASU made it. Still, when it came time to proving yourself in the playoffs, the SoCon teams have won the games. Home-field advantage helps, but I think the SoCon has a great W/L record in the playoffs even considering that.

CAA - So Con this year:

Hofstra over Furman
Richmond over Wofford
ASU squeeked by JMU
ASU over Richmond

I think we all know that Furman is down this year, especially early in the season. Wofford may have lost to Richmond but they did win in the first round in one of the toughest places to play in the FCS. ASU may be carrying a lot of weight for the SoCon lately but the same could have been said of GSU in the late 90s/early 00s or of Marshall in the early 90s.

lizrdgizrd
December 7th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Who knows, maybe in 10 years a poll of SoCon's fans favorite football player of the past could be Randy Moss then. xlolx
Maybe if he helps the Panthers win a Super Bowl. xlolx

RadMann
December 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM
That is a good point though. Wow, to think what a huge advantage it is to have every playoff game at home. It makes a big difference, and gave Marshall especially a big advantage. Not that they did not have great teams, but they also had a strong home field advantage. The Marshall Invitational, ah brings back great memories... and they had the final game at home also if I recall correctly..

pete4256
December 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM

Western Carolina 1983
Furman 1985, 1988, 2001

If you throw in GSC's five appearances before joining the Socon (somewhat admissable), that's 20 appearances in the last 25 seasons.

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I think you have somewhat of a point. The Socon was pretty bad in the early and mid 90s when Marshall made their runs and they were better but still not great in the first two years that ASU made it. Still, when it came time to proving yourself in the playoffs, the SoCon teams have won the games. Home-field advantage helps, but I think the SoCon has a great W/L record in the playoffs even considering that.

The thing is, I think you'll find that homefield advantage in the playoffs is a pretty big deal. I'm about to turn in so I'll leave it for someone else to research, but the winning percentage of a home team is pretty significant.

And only that Western Carolina team in '83 had to win on the road more than once in the playoffs (since winning on the road in the playoffs is already tough enough, winning on the road twice or more in the playoffs is even more difficult, statistically speaking). CAA teams have done that feat twice already and threaten to make it a 3rd tomorrow (today EST).

And keep in mind, this isn't to take away from what Appy St is doing now - first of all, this year the bracket just broke for them nicely - that's something that happens in tournament play and it's just luck of the draw sometimes. And the seeds they got in '05 and '06 were well deserved. But funny things happened back in the Marshall days. Just sayin.

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 11:16 PM
That is a good point though. Wow, to think what a huge advantage it is to have every playoff game at home. It makes a big difference, and gave Marshall especially a big advantage. Not that they did not have great teams, but they also had a strong home field advantage. The Marshall Invitational, ah brings back great memories... and they had the final game at home also if I recall correctly..

I think all but the first of their NC appearances - I thought Georgia Southern hosted a few when Marshall first got there (hmm, GSU, what conference are they in again? Just sayin).

Marshall played on the road twice in thier run during the Invitational - went 1-1.

ASUG8
December 7th, 2007, 11:22 PM

No, probably TO.

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM
No, probably TO.

Moss is better. xthumbsupx

ASU
December 7th, 2007, 11:28 PM

Western Carolina 1983
Furman 1985, 1988, 2001

Thanks....you guys at Georgia Southern should have been in the 16 teams this year.....would have made a lot more sense with 3 SoCon teams, and 4 CAA teams.....even that is out of line....maybe one of our AD's can head the committee next year....if so, let's put all the SoCon teams into it.
Go Eagles, Go Apps!

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM
The thing is, I think you'll find that homefield advantage in the playoffs is a pretty big deal. I'm about to turn in so I'll leave it for someone else to research, but the winning percentage of a home team is pretty significant.

And only that Western Carolina team in '83 had to win on the road more than once in the playoffs (since winning on the road in the playoffs is already tough enough, winning on the road twice or more in the playoffs is even more difficult, statistically speaking). CAA teams have done that feat twice already and threaten to make it a 3rd tomorrow (today EST).

And keep in mind, this isn't to take away from what Appy St is doing now - first of all, this year the bracket just broke for them nicely - that's something that happens in tournament play and it's just luck of the draw sometimes. And the seeds they got in '05 and '06 were well deserved. But funny things happened back in the Marshall days. Just sayin.

You've got to consider the home playoff records of non-SoCon schools. Not to sound smug, but when you exclude them, the winning percentage will probably go down a good bit.
Also, you need to consider that in the old 16-seed system, teams that are lower ranked and that come from lesser conferences usually end up playing on the road, and that can inflate the winning percentage of home teams.

ASU
December 7th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Actually it is currently 2-1 in favor of the SoCon in the Playoffs....that is what you were discussing. The Furman-Hofstra game was an early regular season game in NY.
By the way....what is going to happen next year....is the CAA wanting 8 teams in the playoffs....would not doubt it.
Go Southern Conference!

LarryBoy
December 8th, 2007, 12:02 AM
The Furman-Hofstra game was caused by a glitch in the space-time continuum that disoriented the Paladins right up until the second half of the App State game. We had a guy check it out, and everything should be fine now. Unfortunately, Furman's late success probably prevented the SoCon from getting 4 teams in....leaving way too many spots open for the committee's apparent conference flavor of the year.

Looking forward to exorcising some CAA voodoo at home against the Hens next year.

As far as App's win...conference strength is great. But, sheesh, share the love with your brethren once in a while.

ASUG8
December 8th, 2007, 12:19 AM
No, probably TO.

You win - I don't like either of them!

Skjellyfetti
December 8th, 2007, 12:48 AM

QFT

appst97
December 8th, 2007, 01:26 AM
CAA - So Con this year:

Hofstra over Furman
Richmond over Wofford
ASU squeeked by JMU
ASU over Richmond

if you're gonna say we 'sqeeked by' JMU, then why didn't you say we just stomped your no.1 spiders?

JayJ79
December 8th, 2007, 01:34 AM

that must be some of that "fuzzy math" I've been hearing about. if 6 were played on the road, then they'd only have 38 of the 44 at home. And am I interpretting it correctly that the 44 games don't include the championship game that is sometimes played on a "neutral site"?

Saint3333
December 8th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I don't care if there were 4, 8, 12, 16 teams in the playoffs or who had the home games, one conference (and an eight or nine team conference at that) making up ONE HALF of the total championship game participants is impressive.

Good stat SoConxthumbsupx.

FCS Preview
December 8th, 2007, 11:11 AM
that must be some of that "fuzzy math" I've been hearing about. if 6 were played on the road, then they'd only have 38 of the 44 at home. And am I interpretting it correctly that the 44 games don't include the championship game that is sometimes played on a "neutral site"?
In championship games played at a neutral site, I believe the SoCon is just (5-6).

Since 2000, the SoCon has played 38 playoff games, including last night (not including Championship Games).
The home team has been a SoCon member 30 of the 38 times (including when both teams were SoCon members). The home team has won 23 of the 30 games (76.7%)

Cincy App
December 8th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I don't care if there were 4, 8, 12, 16 teams in the playoffs or who had the home games, one conference (and an eight or nine team conference at that) making up ONE HALF of the total championship game participants is impressive.

Good stat SoConxthumbsupx.

Yes, impressive numbers for the SoCon. Home games help but the best team wins. If only the home field mattered, UNI, Montana and McNeese St would still be playing.

BigApp
December 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM
hmmmm...even one of our 'weak sisters of the poor' has a finals appearance...hmmmmmmm...yes, weak indeed

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0006.gif