PDA

View Full Version : espn announcers

mountaineer in Cane Land
December 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM
This is, by far, the worst espn telecast I have ever seen, they have spent the majority of the time talking to the heisman canidates, and when the announcers actually call the game, they seem bored and generally disinterested in the game. This game is about the heisman build up, and nothing to do with App/Richmond. I have never seen such a disrespect to both App and Richmand. It is obvious that espn is using the game for a promo for the heisman.

appstate38
December 7th, 2007, 10:00 PM
This is, by far, the worst espn telecast I have ever seen, they have spent the majority of the time talking to the heisman canidates, and when the announcers actually call the game, they seem bored and generally disinterested in the game. This game is about the heisman build up, and nothing to do with App/Richmond. I have never seen such a disrespect to both App and Richmand. It is obvious that espn is using the game for a promo for the heisman.

It is to be expected. They don't cover FCS enough. Just glad we are on TV

Griz40
December 7th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Not to dispute what you are saying, but last years semi game between Montana and Umass....they were far worse with far less class with comments about Coen's family life throughout the game.
That doesn't say that they aren't bad this year. They are.

igo4uni
December 7th, 2007, 10:03 PM
espn sux.

RadMann
December 7th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I was expecting a brief hello with the Heisman candidate, but instead they basically pre-empted the game with the interview that went on and on. That was simply outrageous, but what can you expect. After the hack job they pulled on UD with the trumped up racism charge, I am not surprised by anything they pull.

Gil Dobie
December 7th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Nice coverage inbetween Heisman interviews. xeyebrowx

spelunker64
December 7th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Heisman, Heisman, Heisman, ooh look a long TD run, Heisman, Heisman Heisman...

blah

bodoyle
December 7th, 2007, 10:15 PM
finally they talk about the chancellor. that guy goes over the edge and acts cocky as hell.

spelunker64
December 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Couldn't they at least do Payton Award nominee clips and highlights...

NC Mountaineer
December 7th, 2007, 10:19 PM
finally they talk about the chancellor. that guy goes over the edge and acts cocky as hell.

The chancellor is cocky as hell? I don't think so. How many other chancellors/presidents do things like that for their schools? Chancellor Peacock is a big reason for ASU's success...many students at other schools don't even know who their chancellors are.

And yes, these announcers have been terrible.

spelunker64
December 7th, 2007, 10:20 PM
The chancellor is cocky as hell? I don't think so. How many other chancellors/presidents do things like that for their schools? Chancellor Peacock is a big reason for ASU's success...many students at other schools don't even know who their chancellors are.

Our President is pretty involved and a great part of our success in our transition

bodoyle
December 7th, 2007, 10:23 PM

I have absolutely no problem with your chancellor being proud of your recent success, but having the students parade you around is classless in my book. But that's just me. If DeCenzo did that at CCU I would be embarrassed and he would have a voicemail/email waiting for him on MOnday morning.

RadMann
December 7th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Does the chancellor do shots and beer funnels with the students as well? ;)

bodoyle
December 7th, 2007, 10:25 PM

prolly. if u dont u r just a stuffy president in your skybox apparently. xrolleyesx

gvilleapp
December 7th, 2007, 10:40 PM
It is to be expected. They don't cover FCS enough. Just glad we are on TV
I agree. I turned down the volume and listened to the ASN call on the internet. Only ESPN crew to ever do a good job on any of our games was the Bill Curry crew last year in the '06 playoffs.

Grizo406
December 7th, 2007, 10:43 PM

Agree for the most part, mountaineer in Cane Land, but the worst telecast I've ever seen/heard was the Griz/Marshall National Championship game in '95.

Todd Christensen was one of the main announcers, and to this day, I've yet to hear a bigger POS behind a microphone than him during that particular broadcast.

Now, when he's near a microphone, or on the tube, I can't help but think about a monkey & a football.

ViennaSpider
December 7th, 2007, 11:06 PM
The two ESPN interviews with the Heisman candidates during the game was insulting to the players on the field as well as to UR and App State. Unbelievably crass.

lizrdgizrd
December 7th, 2007, 11:19 PM
ESPN needs to let some FCS announcers do the games instead of their clueless hacks.

BEAR
December 7th, 2007, 11:24 PM
It's just the level of disrespect for any level of football other than FBS that I have come to expect. Heck, EXPN even disrespects those in the FBS that aren't in the BCS! DII.....it's real?? xlolx xlolx

B&G
December 7th, 2007, 11:30 PM
The ironic thing is that the reason they changed to the universally hated FCS/FBS names was because they felt 1-AA sounded substandard... but the media treats it as substandard.

AppIAA
December 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I have absolutely no problem with your chancellor being proud of your recent success, but having the students parade you around is classless in my book. But that's just me. If DeCenzo did that at CCU I would be embarrassed and he would have a voicemail/email waiting for him on MOnday morning.

There is not way in hell he does that for himself.. He does that because he is proud of the team and the students.. he is showing his support.. how is this remotely cocky?

Block-A
December 7th, 2007, 11:36 PM
The elixir for B(c)S discussion during any FCS game is TV volume off, radio on. And it doesn't really matter whether it is home or away radio, it WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER than TV announcers.

TV Announcers rely on you and the tech people to discuss down, distance. players..., strategy...; football basics. They want to talk about other crap: other games, teams, leagues, gossip....

Just be thankful that you can watch what the radio announcers just explained to you three seconds earlier. Plus, corny local radio ads are much more amusing than lexus & zales....

mistersykes
December 8th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Its unfortunate that ESPN does such a bad job covering FCS. I wish more people than those who were at the game could enjoy it to its fullest. KBS was hoppin' and loud, and it was a great, great game. So fun to be a part of.

back2back
December 8th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Any mention of Armanti for the Heisman in 2009 during the telecast?

patssle
December 8th, 2007, 02:34 AM
The announcers sucked last year.

They are sucking this year.

They will suck next year.

Zoo
December 8th, 2007, 02:48 AM

Those covering the FCS games will suck all the time 99% of the time.

SirApp
December 8th, 2007, 02:51 AM

Nothing new here......move along.

cougarpines
December 8th, 2007, 05:42 AM
The two ESPN interviews with the Heisman candidates during the game was insulting to the players on the field as well as to UR and App State. Unbelievably crass.

Agree. I couldn't believe it. The interviews went through multiple series of plays. Who cares where Colt's bus is.

OB55
December 8th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Just mute the volume and listen to your local announcers, or even some good music, or provide your own play by play and commentary. That could be fun, especially with some buddies over and a beer chugging game associated. Funner yet if you record it.

Truth is most all announcers/commentators suck. They keep flapping their gums regardless if there is anything to say. Most of the pro commentators blow IMO, and you want bad, wait until we start the endless string of meaningless swirley bowls this month. They will drag up just about any old washed out has been, that doesn't have a job, and team him with some rejected play by play hack that has previously earned chunky hurl on his suit, dust him off and put him on the tube. Only requirements, fog a mirror.

Yes that was classless, all the talk about the big award tonight, at least Colt had class and stopped talking while plays being run. Don't be surprised to see them do the same thing on the night of the BCS final, interviewing Tom Brady for fifteen minutes during the game.

Good thing I won't hear it, sound will be off and I will be providing commentary while Chuck does the play by play in between beer bongs. :)

CamelCityAppFan
December 8th, 2007, 06:37 AM
I fired off a polite but complaining email to ESPN right after the Tebow interview. The point I made was that it was fine promote their Heisman show, but couldn't you do the lengthy interviews at halftime? We would rather concentrate on the touchdown run that just happened...

Pretty sure no one will actually read the email, but it made me feel better...

Appstnole21
December 8th, 2007, 07:04 AM
To go along with the the ESPN sucking at covering the FCS, I was just watching Sportscenter this morning and at the end of the highlights for the App game they said that App St advances to their 3rd straight championship game facing the winner of the Delaware vs GEORIGA SOUTHERN game today!!! Freakin' Idiotsxconfusedx

Ud1Hens
December 8th, 2007, 07:29 AM

I 100% agree, it's not like those interviews were a minute long either. It's like saying, "Hey nation, this football is probably too boring so we are going to spice it up with heisman talk for a few hours." The reason that Colt Brennan and Tim Tebow can't have a shot at the title this year is because of that crap BCS system. So enjoy your Heisman, wait a month to play another game, and be happy with finishing top 15 in the nation.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 8th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I agree with all that has been said here, what an insult to these teams and players!

Think of all the 1AA-specific things they could have talked about:
1. Interview Payton Award candidates.
2. More indepth discussion of how these two teams got to this level of the playoffs.
3. Their conference affliations and some of those teams.
4. Actually watch the play on the field and talk about some of th star players on each side.

I'm sure you folks can come up with many others.

Tribe4SF
December 8th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Not surprising that they hyped the Heisman. If this had been an FBS bowl game, they'd have done the same. On the whole I thought they were better than previous years. They did some homework. Nice analysis of ASU's transition to the spread. Lots of tidbits about individual players. I gave them a C+. They could easily have built in some Payton talk, but with no finalists playing, I guess it didn't occur to them.

boonegoon
December 8th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Not surprising that they hyped the Heisman. If this had been an FBS bowl game, they'd have done the same. On the whole I thought they were better than previous years. They did some homework. Nice analysis of ASU's transition to the spread. Lots of tidbits about individual players. I gave them a C+. They could easily have built in some Payton talk, but with no finalists playing, I guess it didn't occur to them.

I generally agree. Nice piece about the cakes, etc. My wife had to calm me down though when the Heimlick talk droned on and on..

UAalum72
December 8th, 2007, 09:27 AM
You can't blame the announcers for the Heisman interviews. If the producer says plug the ESPN show, that's their job. The director decides which camera is on, the producer decides when to do interview segments.

CamelCityAppFan
December 8th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Yeah, I agree. When they weren't talking about/to the Heisman candidates, they did a pretty good job of covering the game. It was obvious they had done some research.

I also want to say that I do not think the Heisman fiasco was the fault of the broadcasters-- I think some pintahead producer set that up. At one point, I thought the commentators looked visibly uncomfortable having the discussion while the game they were covering was going on, and the telephone interviews were obviously scripted.

So I really think any anguish over the Heisman episode(s) should be directed at ESPN management, and not at the commentators.

bench
December 8th, 2007, 12:14 PM
The only time I've seen a FCS team treated well on TV was by - you guessed it - Tom Brennaman and Charles Davis on the inaugural broadcast of the Big Ten Network. I actually learned things from them I didn't already know. They did their research, they knew the small-school team in pretty good detail, and they focused on the game. And they pronounced it correctly, too.

RadMann
December 8th, 2007, 12:16 PM
That's true, the pronunciation is wrong for the mountain range, but correct for the school since that is how they say it down there. The Big Ten network did do a good job and they showed that they are professionals. It is refreshing to see folks who take their job seriously and actually care about doing a good job.

'neers80
December 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM
the commentary is as bad as montanas blog about the strength of their schedule next year

Skjellyfetti
December 8th, 2007, 12:34 PM
That's true, the pronunciation is wrong for the mountain range

Both pronunciations are technically correct. IMO, however, ap-uh-LACH-uhn is the pronunciation of the mountain range as well as the school. It comes from the Apalachee (with the same LACH syllable) tribe of Native Americans. Apalachicola and the Apalachicola River in Florida both use this pronunciation. Appalayshan is a butchering of the origin of the word. Probably too much information, but I couldn't help. xsmiley_wix

RadMann
December 8th, 2007, 12:41 PM
The mountain range runs from Maine to Georgia and it is pronounced the way ASU pronounces it nowhere that I have been and I have lived near the mountains all my life, but that is neither here nor there.

AlphaSigMD
December 8th, 2007, 12:44 PM

No, but my Dean of Students in medical school did, along with some of the faculty at the post-midterm celebration.

We have pictures on facebook.

I think it was great.

RadMann
December 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I think it is cool that ASU has the atmosphere that they do. Every school is different which is what makes things interesting. Some are more formal, others less so.

Appaholic
December 8th, 2007, 02:23 PM
The mountain range runs from Maine to Georgia and it is pronounced the way ASU pronounces it nowhere that I have been and I have lived near the mountains all my life, but that is neither here nor there.

The App trail run from Maine to Georgia....the App range runs from Alabama to Nova Scotia. It is pronounced like ASU from +/- Pennsylvania and south.......I've lived near the range my whole life and have never heard it pronounced the other way until until I backpacked in Mass.

JMU1992
December 8th, 2007, 02:57 PM
ESPN has started doing these interviews during the game no matter if they are FBS or FCS games. It's really annoying, but they do it all the time.

Besides, the Heisman has got to be the most overrated over hyped award in the history of sports. Enough already!

patssle
December 8th, 2007, 02:58 PM
They are talking about the Hise-man during the freaking basketball game. SHUT THE F UP ABOUT IT for once.

Zoo
December 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM
The announcers are doing relatively well for the Delaware - SIU game.

citdog
December 8th, 2007, 04:29 PM
The App trail run from Maine to Georgia....the App range runs from Alabama to Nova Scotia. It is pronounced like ASU from +/- Pennsylvania and south.......I've lived near the range my whole life and have never heard it pronounced the other way until until I backpacked in Mass.

backpacking? is that what they're calling it these days?

freaking hippie

GreatAppSt
December 8th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I fired off a polite but complaining email to ESPN right after the Tebow interview. The point I made was that it was fine promote their Heisman show, but couldn't you do the lengthy interviews at halftime? We would rather concentrate on the touchdown run that just happened...

Pretty sure no one will actually read the email, but it made me feel better...

The wife did too. She was pissed. I got several text messages from her during the game about how the announcers were jerks. What's with these OSU grad commentators that dump on the FCS??? xmadx xmadx xmadx

OB55
December 8th, 2007, 04:36 PM
The announcers are doing relatively well for the Delaware - SIU game.

Yes, a huge improvement over the bozos last night.xnodx

UDChE89
December 8th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Yes, a huge improvement over the bozos last night.xnodx

I would have to agree...

RadMann
December 8th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Agreed. At least they are paying attention to the game and giving some recognition/information about the players actually playing in the game instead of those vying for the Heisman.

Zoo
December 8th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I hope these announcers do the Championship game, but we'll probably get stuck with Gilmore yet again.

gasoualltheway
December 8th, 2007, 04:41 PM
To go along with the the ESPN sucking at covering the FCS, I was just watching Sportscenter this morning and at the end of the highlights for the App game they said that App St advances to their 3rd straight championship game facing the winner of the Delaware vs GEORIGA SOUTHERN game today!!! Freakin' Idiotsxconfusedx

I have to agree I am sick of hearing how Paul Johnson who won two I-AA National championships at Georgia State xconfusedx is going to be the Coach at Tech next year. Freaking Idiots Georgia State doesn't even have football. And when I heard the ESPN announce Delaware vs Georgia Southern it just proves that they only provide lip service to FCS and they don't seem to care if they get it right or not.

furman94
December 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I hated hearing the She-Man announcer during the SIU Hens game! I forget her name...

ngineer
December 8th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I hated hearing the She-Man announcer during the SIU Hens game! I forget her name...

Actually, I think the woman who has done the play by play the last couple years on ESPN for the, then I-AA, now FCS playoffs does a good job. No hyperbole, describes the action, doesn't interfere with the game.

downbythebeach
December 8th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Watch the highlights of the appy game on espn.com

Everything good they say is preferenced by "on this level"

RadMann
December 8th, 2007, 08:12 PM
...and later in the game when they mentioned Flacco they would preface saying Pittsburgh transfer Joe Flacco. Of course Flacco left Pitt, paid his way at UD for a year before joining the team. That was too much! They started off calling the game well, but they ended up resorting to typical ESPN anti-FCS smack.

Grizo406
December 8th, 2007, 08:29 PM

Its Pam Ward, and I thought she did a brilliant job! She was well preparred, and seem to have done her homework!

She wasn't paired up with Mike Tomczak this time, like she was during the 2004 playoffs in Missoula on ESPN, and that's a very good thing!

I just hope I don't have to listen to Rob Gilmore call the National Championship game. I think he's a first rate tool!

Ivytalk
December 8th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Gary Thorne and Bob Davie are doing the Division II final tonight. Nice job!xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
December 8th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Gary Thorne and Bob Davie are doing the Division II final tonight. Nice job!xthumbsupx

Gary Thorne is a great announcer period xnodx

I miss the NHL on ESPN with Thorne calling the games. He called the Frozen Four in 2005, boy was that fun to hear xnodx

ERASU2113
December 8th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I agree. I turned down the volume and listened to the ASN call on the internet. Only ESPN crew to ever do a good job on any of our games was the Bill Curry crew last year in the '06 playoffs.

Didn't he do it with Pam Ward?

Can't remember. I met him last year and he really knew a lot about Appalachian. Asked a few questions before and at half time to make sure he knew the right stuff.

Gary Thorne does a great job

proasu89
December 8th, 2007, 10:11 PM

Very professional and interested in the game on the field. xthumbsupx

bjtheflamesfan
December 8th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Actually Div II is in the semifinals and Grand Valley State is getting absolutely pounded by NW Missouri St 34-16 in the 4th

RadMann
December 8th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Gary Thorne is a great announcer period xnodx

I miss the NHL on ESPN with Thorne calling the games. He called the Frozen Four in 2005, boy was that fun to hear xnodx

Regarding hockey on ESPN, one of the original announcers on ESPN was a UD grad who did ESPN hockey named Tom Mees. He used to do UD basketball games back when he was in school . He tragically drowned trying to save his young daughter who had fallen into a pool. Interestingly, according to Wikpedia "Mees was also the powerful guiding voice of NCAA Ice Hockey on ESPN, and was a forceful advocate to help the growth of the Frozen Four (NCAA Hockey's championship tounrnament) into its national status today." I never knew that....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4c/Mees.jpg

mcveyrl
December 8th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Didn't he do it with Pam Ward?

I misinterpreted this question and vomitted all over my computer...:o

OB55
December 8th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Both of the last two games today were done well, might almost make up for the total diarrhea they spewed last night.

GoAgs72
December 8th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I've been watching the D2 game. I can't say I'm disappointed with GVSU getting pounded. I don't like to see the same team win year after year. Or was I talking about FCS? Go Fightin' Blue Hens.

Uncle Buck
December 9th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Not sure if it was mentioned somewhere else in the thread, but i could have sworn Pam Ward called SIU UMass on the opening kickoff. And yes, they heisman interviews stepped all over the game.

BlueHen86
December 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Not sure if it was mentioned somewhere else in the thread, but i could have sworn Pam Ward called SIU UMass on the opening kickoff. And yes, they heisman interviews stepped all over the game.
Yes she did. I heard it too.

BlueHen86
December 9th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Hey did you guys know that Joe Flacco is a Pitt transfer?

Sheesh, Pam Ward couldn't mention Flacco without saying it. I was beginning to think Flacco had legally changed his name.

Umass74
December 9th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Yes, Ward did call SIU UMass once. But she did better than usual for ESPN announcers.

However, the Heisman interviews were bad. Why does ESPN have to interrupt our games for irrelevant crap? Remember UMass-Montana last year?

The interviews were discourteous to SIU and Delaware.

Houndawg
December 9th, 2007, 09:04 AM

She did call us UMass, the final insult in a long season of being ignored and disrespected. May her penis wither.

Intrepid
December 9th, 2007, 09:14 AM
She did call us UMass, the final insult in a long season of being ignored and disrespected. May her penis wither.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

HENJOHN
December 9th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Nothing like putting up the wrong name of the guy introducing our Defense (it was Matt Marcorelle and they listed him as A Walters). Good production work. YUK>

Bear84
December 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM

She also mentioned that Carbondale was near the Tennessee border! xconfusedx

Houndawg
December 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM
She also mentioned that Carbondale was near the Tennessee border! xconfusedx

xeyebrowx Well, it IS less than two hours to the Tennessee border, but you have to cross Kentucky to get there.

Uncle Buck
December 9th, 2007, 01:43 PM
xeyebrowx Well, it IS less than two hours to the Tennessee border, but you have to cross Kentucky to get there.

Too funny. Sometimes i think they should just stick to the game.

BlueHen86
December 9th, 2007, 01:50 PM
My favorite part of the broadcast was when ESPN did the 'in-game adjustment' and decided that it was SIU's decision to run the ball in the second half.

Excuse me?! SIU had no offensive points after the first quarter. Their in-game adjustment was to stop scoring? Stupid.

spelunker64
December 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Let E$PN know how you feel:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv