PDA

View Full Version : Merrimack/Sacred Heart to the MAAC

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 23rd, 2023, 08:11 AM
Wonder what the NEC will do.

A disaster of a conference. No leadership at all.

MR. CHICKEN
October 23rd, 2023, 08:15 AM
Wonder what the NEC will do.

A disaster of a conference. No leadership at all.

....NOT 'NUFF INFO...xconfusedx.............AWK?

Laker
October 23rd, 2023, 08:17 AM
....NOT 'NUFF INFO...xconfusedx.............AWK?

Indeed. Should have a source for this.

crusader11
October 23rd, 2023, 09:06 AM
Sooooo what does this mean for their football programs?

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2023, 09:22 AM
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1716430095122891207

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2023, 09:24 AM
NEC is a D-II conference masquerading as a D-I conference.

You will likely see a NEC-MEAC merger of some kind.

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2023, 09:25 AM
MC and SHU football will follow the path set by RMU and Bryant (before they joined the CAA)

ElCid
October 23rd, 2023, 09:40 AM
So that puts the MAAC at 6 football schools? Do I have that wrong? Hmm. Probably means nothing, but it is interesting.

crusader11
October 23rd, 2023, 09:51 AM
So that puts the MAAC at 6 football schools? Do I have that wrong? Hmm. Probably means nothing, but it is interesting.

I count three football schools. SHU, Merrimack, Marist. Who are the other ones?

ST_Lawson
October 23rd, 2023, 09:52 AM

Besides Marist (and the incoming Merrimack and Sacred Heart), who else in the MAAC has football? There's a number of associate members who do, but I think all of the rest of the full members who have had it have dropped it (many in the "great purge" of east coast private college football programs the '00s).

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2023, 09:59 AM
Now that Monmouth and Bryant found homes in the CAA, there is probably no choice but a hybrid NEC-MAAC league. This might even let RMU back in the club. This is what you're looking at in the region next season:

NEC (5)
CCSU
LIU
Saint Francis
Stonehill
Wagner

MAAC (3)
Marist
Merrimack
Sacred Heart

Free Agents (2)
Duquesne
Robert Morris

NY Crusader 2010
October 23rd, 2023, 10:15 AM
Now that Monmouth and Bryant found homes in the CAA, there is probably no choice but a hybrid NEC-MAAC league. This might even let RMU back in the club. This is what you're looking at in the region next season:

NEC (5)
CCSU
LIU
Saint Francis
Stonehill
Wagner

MAAC (3)
Marist
Merrimack
Sacred Heart

Free Agents (2)
Duquesne
Robert Morris

You are probably right. Historically, the NEC has booted anyone out of the football conference who doesn't stay for all sports. They may not have an option now other than to let Merrimack and SHU stay as football-only members. If they kick them out, the NEC still has enough meat on the bone for now to maintain the auto-bid, with 6 football schools remaining.

Sad to see. An up-and-coming conference that for at least a little while, surpassed the Patriot League in overall quality of play, seems to be barely hanging on.

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2023, 10:19 AM
You are probably right. Historically, the NEC has booted anyone out of the football conference who doesn't stay for all sports. They may not have an option now other than to let Merrimack and SHU stay as football-only members. If they kick them out, the NEC still has enough meat on the bone for now to maintain the auto-bid, with 6 football schools remaining.

Sad to see. An up-and-coming conference that for at least a little while, surpassed the Patriot League in overall quality of play, seems to be barely hanging on.

Yep. For a brief period in time, the NEC was on the rise and surpassed the PL for a few years. That is now in the rear-view mirror.

As you noted, the NEC previously denied associate FB membership to former full-time members. At this point though, were likely to see a single-sport setup similar to what has happened with the OVC/ASUN and similar.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 23rd, 2023, 10:20 AM

You will likely see a NEC-MEAC merger of some kind.

Oh boy.

That conference will be hilariously poor.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 23rd, 2023, 10:22 AM
Yep. For a brief period in time, the NEC was on the rise and surpassed the PL for a few years. That is now in the rear-view mirror.

As you noted, the NEC previously denied associate FB membership to former full-time members. At this point though, were likely to see a single-sport setup similar to what has happened with the OVC/ASUN and similar.

Blame the commissioner. She is notoriously incompetent. In the business world, she would have been fired years ago.

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2023, 10:30 AM
Blame the commissioner. She is notoriously incompetent. In the business world, she would have been fired years ago.

Agreed 100% she is incompetent and a horrible commissioner ... but we are fans of 2 of the NEC programs that really have no other options. :(

The fact is the NEC from its beginnings in the 1980s was home for the leftover small college programs in the region that no one wanted. Saint Francis (FDU, LIU, and Wagner) has been in this league since the beginning for one reason - they don't invest in athletics, have poor academics, crappy facilities and can't get an invite anywhere else. We're part of this club too - it sucks!

DFW HOYA
October 23rd, 2023, 10:53 AM
The NEC is at six football schools, not the MAAC.

KPSUL
October 23rd, 2023, 11:05 AM
Is it possible that Joe Rothstein is jumping the gun and doesn't know the whole picture? Could Merrimack and Sacred Heart have worked out a deal to stay in the NEC for football and join the MAAC for some other sport(s)? I know everyone likes to be first, but maybe we should wait for the official announcement.

crusader11
October 23rd, 2023, 11:06 AM
Is it possible that Joe Rothstein is jumping the gun and doesn't know the whole picture? Could Merrimack and Sacred Heart have worked out a deal to stay in the NEC for football and join the MAAC for some other sport(s)? I know everyone likes to be first, but maybe we should wait for the official announcement.

I can't see how the NEC would be okay with this.

DFW HOYA
October 23rd, 2023, 11:08 AM

Jon Rothstein was on target.

https://twitter.com/NECsports/status/1716485580471587142

ElCid
October 23rd, 2023, 12:57 PM
I count three football schools. SHU, Merrimack, Marist. Who are the other ones?

You are right I did a quick search and saw some associate members I mistook as members. I don't know anything about that conf.

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2023, 01:46 PM
Again, football is not the problem. They could allow the two departing members to stay as affiliates this time because we need them.

The real problem for the NEC is the basketball AQ and its standing as a NCAA Conference.

2024-25 NEC AQ Eligible (5 Teams)
1. CCSU
2. FDU
3. LIU
4. Saint Francis (PA)
5. Wagner

2026-27 NEC AQ Eligible (6 Teams)
6. Stonehill

2027-28 NEC AQ Eligible (7 Teams)
7. Le Moyne

Even if you add New Haven (or Bently, SCSU, or whoever from the NE-10) for next season, they don't become NCAA eligible until 2028-29.

The NEC needs one current D-I member just to survive next season (looking at you Chicago State). No seriously, I don't know that the NEC has a plan for this. They only thing I see is a full merger between the NEC and MEAC.

wapiti
October 23rd, 2023, 02:03 PM

So is the SWAC, MEAC and Pioneer. (Pioneer should be a Div 3)

taper
October 23rd, 2023, 02:08 PM
Again, football is not the problem. They could allow the two departing members to stay as affiliates this time because we need them.

The real problem for the NEC is the basketball AQ and its standing as a NCAA Conference.

1. CCSU
2. FDU
3. LIU
4. Saint Francis (PA)
5. Wagner

6. Stonehill

7. Le Moyne

Even if you add New Haven (or Bently, SCSU, or whoever from the NE-10) for next season, they don't become NCAA eligible until 2028-29.

The NEC needs one current D-I member just to survive next season (looking at you Chicago State). No seriously, I don't know that the NEC has a plan for this. They only thing I see is a full merger between the NEC and MEAC.
As long as you don't lose anyone else you should be fine. A conference needs 7 members but there's an automatic 2 year grace period. The BB AQ requires 6 even within this period, but I'd call Stonehill a D1 member now, even if not fully eligible yet. That gives you the 6 next year so you keep the AQ. The NCAA *really* doesn't like seeing conferences disappear. The Summit League was out of compliance for one year awhile back and we got a waiver.

MSUBobcat
October 23rd, 2023, 02:23 PM
I can't see how the NEC would be okay with this.

So what are the other dominoes yet to fall? If the NEC doesn't let them stay as football-only, are they leaving to become FCS independents? Drop schollies and join Marist in the Pioneer seems more likely/better than going the independent route.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 23rd, 2023, 03:17 PM

1. CCSU
2. FDU
3. LIU
4. Saint Francis (PA)
5. Wagner

6. Stonehill

7. Le Moyne

The plan has to be a merger with the MEAC. There is already a preexisting working relationship and it allows the commissioner and the presidents to hit the diversity button for brownie points.

I wouldn't be shocked if those rumors were what provided the final emphasis for Merrimack and SHU to escape.

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2023, 03:20 PM
The plan has to be a merger with the MEAC. There is already a preexisting working relationship and it allows the commissioner and the presidents to hit the diversity button for brownie points.

I wouldn't be shocked if those rumors were what provided the final emphasis for Merrimack and SHU to escape.

Unfortunately, I too think that's the only way out if this mess.

I doubt that was the reason they left - SHU has been trying for years to get into the MAAC and Merrimack had to wait 4 years to be attractive to others.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 23rd, 2023, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately, I too think that's the only way out if this mess.

I doubt that was the reason they left - SHU has been trying for years to get into the MAAC and Merrimack had to wait 4 years to be attractive to others.

I didn't say it was the sole reason. I just wouldn't be shocked if it provided an extra push. The presidents had to see the writing on the wall. The Olympic sport arrangement with the MEAC is several years old. Boiling the frog method.

KPSUL
October 23rd, 2023, 04:40 PM
Jon Rothstein was on target.

https://twitter.com/NECsports/status/1716485580471587142

That certainly looks official enough.

So with only 3 potential Football teams in the MAAC how do Merrimack and Sacred Heart plan to play football next season? FCS independent? Is there such a thing? Would the Pioneer want them? You'd have to think they have something in the works, anyone think they would drop football?

DFW HOYA
October 23rd, 2023, 04:49 PM
So is the SWAC, MEAC and Pioneer. (Pioneer should be a Div 3)

Not this again. The Pioneer is a Division I conference that outspends D III schools as much as 3 to 1.

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2023, 04:53 PM

So with only 3 potential Football teams in the MAAC how do Merrimack and Sacred Heart plan to play football next season? FCS independent? Is there such a thing? Would the Pioneer want them? You'd have to think they have something in the works, anyone think they would drop football?

My guess, is they are just trying to leave their options open, but there is absolutely no way the NEC gave them any hope - the NEC has been devastated and is trying to recover.

I can tell you today, that if the NEC survives and can find any way to keeps their AQ in basketball and football, those schools won't be invited for FB. They will have to do what RMU and Bryant did, find somewhere else to play. I doubt either would consider dropping football.

The fact is the NEC is on the ropes and has to get its house in order first, so any associate plans are to be determined. I can't imagine this break up is going to go down smoothly. They did this the day before the NEC Basketball media day (tomorrow).

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 23rd, 2023, 05:11 PM

They will join the unholy Big South-OVC alliance.

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2023, 05:45 PM
Yep, I would expect to see some future movement between these 3 leagues.

NEC (7): CCSU, FDU, LIU, Saint Francis, Stonehill, LeMoyne, Wagner
MEAC (8): Coppin St., Delaware St., Howard, UMES, Morgan St., Norfolk St., NC Central, SC State
Big South (9): Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb, High Point, Longwood, Presbyterian, Radford, UNC-Ashville, SC Upstate, Winthrop

FOOTBALL
NEC (5): CCSU, LIU, Saint Francis, Stonehill, Wagner
MEAC (6): Delaware St., Howard, Morgan St., Norfolk St., NC Central, SC State
Big South (2): Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb
Others (3): Merrimack, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart

WestCoastAggie
October 23rd, 2023, 09:37 PM
Oh boy.

That conference will be hilariously poor.

Those MEAC Presidents will not want to share the Celebration Bowl money.

WestCoastAggie
October 23rd, 2023, 09:41 PM
The MEAC has expansion plans of their own that will be announced soon.

UNHWildcat18
October 23rd, 2023, 09:43 PM

Hampton going back? “Fingers crossed”

WestCoastAggie
October 23rd, 2023, 10:12 PM
Hampton going back? “Fingers crossed”

Well, damn!

aceinthehole
October 23rd, 2023, 10:21 PM

Will it involve any NEC members? 😁

WestCoastAggie
October 23rd, 2023, 10:40 PM
Will it involve any NEC members? 

I don't know if it involves any PWIs.

Go...gate
October 24th, 2023, 02:27 AM
Wondering if the Patriot League fits into this somehow.

Professor
October 24th, 2023, 10:40 AM

Oh my

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure those teams will stay for football only

CHIP72
October 24th, 2023, 12:17 PM

1. CCSU
2. FDU
3. LIU
4. Saint Francis (PA)
5. Wagner

6. Stonehill

7. Le Moyne

Paul Benedict (RIP) wouldn't be happy with you spelling Bentley's name incorrectly.

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2023, 12:18 PM
Merrimack and Sacred Hart to the Big South as associate members is likely, Per Mike Brown.

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2023, 12:26 PM
Yep, I would expect to see some future movement between these 3 leagues.

NEC (7): CCSU, FDU, LIU, Saint Francis, Stonehill, LeMoyne, Wagner
MEAC (8): Coppin St., Delaware St., Howard, UMES, Morgan St., Norfolk St., NC Central, SC State
Big South (9): Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb, High Point, Longwood, Presbyterian, Radford, UNC-Ashville, SC Upstate, Winthrop

FOOTBALL
NEC (5): CCSU, LIU, Saint Francis, Stonehill, Wagner
MEAC (6): Delaware St., Howard, Morgan St., Norfolk St., NC Central, SC State
Big South (2): Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb
Others (3): Merrimack, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart

The NEC can get a 2-year waiver starting in 24/25 before they have to get to 8 full-time members or give up their D1 charter. That means they would have u til the 26/27 season to find an 8th member.

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2023, 12:27 PM
And honestly, a Big South/NEC Football Mashup is possible.

smilo
October 24th, 2023, 12:48 PM
Geography was one of my three majors in undergrad, but it's news to me that just south of the New Hampshire border is now considered the south. The Big South is indeed earning the Big portion of the name.

taper
October 24th, 2023, 01:08 PM
The NEC can get a 2-year waiver starting in 24/25 before they have to get to 8 full-time members or give up their D1 charter. That means they would have u til the 26/27 season to find an 8th member.
An FBS conference needs 8, everybody else only needs 7. There's also an automatic 2 year grace period if you drop to 6 so you still keep your AQ.

WestCoastAggie
October 24th, 2023, 01:10 PM
An FBS conference needs 8, everybody else only needs 7. There's also an automatic 2 year grace period if you drop to 6 so you still keep your AQ.
You need 8 for for D1 Basketball. This came up when Howard was considering accepting the CAA invite. If they did, that would drop them to 7 basketball playing schools and they needed 8 to keep the March Madness AQ and D1 Charter.

OhioHen
October 24th, 2023, 01:12 PM
Geography was one of my three majors in undergrad, but it's news to me that just south of the New Hampshire border is now considered the south. The Big South is indeed earning the Big portion of the name.
If schools in states that border the Pacific can be in the Atlantic Coast Conference, then South can mean anything not north of the Canadian border.

taper
October 24th, 2023, 01:21 PM
You need 8 for for D1 Basketball. This came up when Howard was considering accepting the CAA invite. If they did, that would drop them to 7 basketball playing schools and they needed 8 to keep the March Madness AQ and D1 Charter.
From the NCAA D1 manual. https://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4657-2022-2023-ncaa-division-i-manual.aspx

20.02.8.1 Minimum Number of Members. A multisport conference shall be composed of at least seven active Division
I members. The member conference shall include at least seven active Division I members that sponsor both men's and
women's basketball.

aceinthehole
October 24th, 2023, 02:03 PM

This is my interpretation as well. Lots of misunderstanding out on there.

7 D-I members (not counting D-II transitional programs) is the minimum for a MBB AQ and Conference recognition by the NCAA.

Under certain circumstances, you may drop to 6 D-I teams for a 2 year period, before losing the AQ.

downbythebeach
October 24th, 2023, 03:22 PM
IÂ’ve heard that Mercyhurst out of Erie PA has been looking to go D1. I know they play D1 hockey already. Saint Vincent College tried to like a decade ago but got turned down by the NEC. I wonder if they are still on the radar.

I would love to see them go after like Shepherd or West Chester, or Slippery Rock. A nice stable, public school.

SHU is a big loss for the conference as they are an up and comer, but Merrimack is easily replaced.

aceinthehole
October 24th, 2023, 03:46 PM
SHU was a nobody when the joined in 1999 - look at them now. Same could have been said about Quinnipiac and Bryant at one time. Merrimack is on a similar path.

Look at the NEC programs that grew - UMBC, Monmouth, Quinnipiac, RMU, Bryant, SHU - and where they went.

Now look at the programs that are doing the bare minimum - SFU, FDU, CCSU, WAG - are see where they are.

UNHWildcat18
October 24th, 2023, 03:46 PM
IÂ’ve heard that Mercyhurst out of Erie PA has been looking to go D1. I know they play D1 hockey already. Saint Vincent College tried to like a decade ago but got turned down by the NEC. I wonder if they are still on the radar.

I would love to see them go after like Shepherd or West Chester, or Slippery Rock. A nice stable, public school.

SHU is a big loss for the conference as they are an up and comer, but Merrimack is easily replaced.

is there any road blocks from D2 Public PA teams moving up? PSAC seems rather solid and stable.

Southsider
October 24th, 2023, 05:32 PM
is there any road blocks from D2 Public PA teams moving up? PSAC seems rather solid and stable.

PSAC is very solid. I am not sure a school could leave if they wanted. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Libertine
October 25th, 2023, 09:02 AM

FCS only requires 6 conference members (https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-09-10/making-sense-fcs-conference-realignment) for autobid eligibility.

WestCoastAggie
October 25th, 2023, 11:05 AM
FCS only requires 6 conference members (https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-09-10/making-sense-fcs-conference-realignment) for autobid eligibility.
And 8 for Men’s Basketball, allegedly. I gotta check my sources

taper
October 25th, 2023, 11:22 AM
I already posted the source. Basketball needs 7, end of story.

NY Crusader 2010
October 25th, 2023, 01:35 PM
SHU was a nobody when the joined in 1999 - look at them now. Same could have been said about Quinnipiac and Bryant at one time. Merrimack is on a similar path.

Look at the NEC programs that grew - UMBC, Monmouth, Quinnipiac, RMU, Bryant, SHU - and where they went.

Now look at the programs that are doing the bare minimum - SFU, FDU, CCSU, WAG - are see where they are.

Bob Morris left over travel I thought. Less travel in the Horizon for them. Wonder if they'd come back in the event that Mercyhurst joined. Would have a trifecta of western PA schools for all sports and 4 in football.

aceinthehole
October 25th, 2023, 02:16 PM
Bob Morris left over travel I thought. Less travel in the Horizon for them. Wonder if they'd come back in the event that Mercyhurst joined. Would have a trifecta of western PA schools for all sports and 4 in football.

No. They left for the same reason every other team leave the NEC - better basketball conference.

UMBC --- AE
Monmouth --- MAAC (Big South FB) --- CAA
Quinnipiac --- MAAC
RMU --- Horizon (Big South/OVC FB)
Bryant --- AE (Big South --- CAA FB)
Mt. St. Mary's --- MAAC
Merrimack --- MAAC (FB?)
Sacred Heart --- MAAC (FB?)

BobbyMo built a new arena and had won their fair share of NEC titles. The Horizon was a step up for the program.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 25th, 2023, 02:25 PM

The conference hates traveling to SFU. St. Vincent is a no-go.

It will be a NE or NY/NJ school.

NY Crusader 2010
October 25th, 2023, 02:54 PM
The conference hates traveling to SFU. St. Vincent is a no-go.

It will be a NE or NY/NJ school.

Not many appealing DII options left in those areas. Bentley, AIC, St. Anselm and New Haven are probably the best available. There really aren't any DII athletic programs in NY State I could envision moving up at this point. St. Rose? Nah. Ditto for Jersey -- nothing worth looking at.

downbythebeach
October 25th, 2023, 05:08 PM
It will probably end up being New Haven. They would probably take anyone. Beggars can’t be choosers.

WestCoastAggie
October 25th, 2023, 09:44 PM
I already posted the source. Basketball needs 7, end of story.

You did and you’re right.

Go...gate
October 26th, 2023, 12:32 AM
It will probably end up being New Haven. They would probably take anyone. Beggars can’t be choosers.

Yep.

mvfcfan
October 26th, 2023, 07:41 AM

Only FBS conferences need 8 full members.

mvfcfan
October 26th, 2023, 07:44 AM
As a fan of an OVC school (EIU), I say hard pass on Merrimack and Sacred Heart joining the BSC/OVC FB Conference. We don't need them. I question if the OVC needs the Big south now as well. I'd just make a deal with the Big South and let Gardner Webb and Chuck South into the OVC as affiliates, along with potentially any future "full" BSC members that sponsor football. Robert Morris is close enough to the footprint that I'd be willing to throw them a bone too.

mvfcfan
October 26th, 2023, 07:46 AM
If Merrimack and Sacred Heart can't find a home for football, they did it to themselves. I won't feel sorry for them at all.

aceinthehole
October 26th, 2023, 09:39 AM
Matt Brown reporting:

1) Merrimack is expected to have conversations with CAA for football.

2) Sacred Heart is interested in the Patriot League.

No predictions on how likely either will work out and the fall-back plan for both is probably joining the Big South with RMU.

UNHWildcat18
October 26th, 2023, 09:55 AM
Matt Brown reporting:

1) Merrimack is expected to have conversations with CAA for football.

2) Sacred Heart is interested in the Patriot League.

No predictions on how likely either will work out and the fall-back plan for both is probably joining the Big South with RMU.

if the PL didn’t take Monmouth or Bryant over the years I don’t see why they would take SHU, also have no idea how MC plans to talk to the CAA…. Their facility is significantly inferior…. SHU to the PL seems to have a slightly better chance IMHO..

I just see them both ending up in the Big South.

aceinthehole
October 26th, 2023, 10:19 AM
if the PL didn’t take Monmouth or Bryant over the years I don’t see why they would take SHU, also have no idea how MC plans to talk to the CAA…. Their facility is significantly inferior…. SHU to the PL seems to have a slightly better chance IMHO..

I just see them both ending up in the Big South.

Don't disagree.

MC to CAA seems like a real long shot for next season, but you never know how fruitful those convos can be for future years.

I too think the PL will look down at SHU, but they would make an interesting addition to "balance" out the PL.

PL Core (4): Bucknell, Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh
PL Catholic (4): Fordham, Georgetown, Holy Cross + SHU

Sitting Bull
October 26th, 2023, 10:23 AM
CAA football is already up to 16. If they were imo dumb enough to stretch to 17 by adding Merrimack, then I think they are just inviting a split off of the New England members / which I would welcome at that point.

Sitting Bull
October 26th, 2023, 10:25 AM
And no offense to Maine, UNH or URI which I would miss being linked in football.

NHwildEcat
October 26th, 2023, 12:04 PM
And no offense to Maine, UNH or URI which I would miss being linked in football.

CAA football has been making crazy decisions of late, but if they were to add Merrimack that would be the craziest of them all. Aside from the Flo Sports deal. CAA football is already too big - adding a school that no one knows has football makes no sense.

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2023, 01:37 PM
The CAA is real nervous about the College of Charleston and UD leaving. They don’t want to be left holding the bag. However, Merrimack seems a bit of a stretch.

NHwildEcat
October 26th, 2023, 01:39 PM
The CAA is real nervous about the College of Charleston and UD leaving. They don’t want to be left holding the bag. However, Merrimack seems a bit of a stretch.

Even if those two leave, they still have 14. I don't see any reason to add Merrimack.

NY Crusader 2010
October 26th, 2023, 05:56 PM

If UNH, Maine, URI and Albany collectively are willing to sign off on bringing Merrimack on as the umpteenth CAA football affiliate, they are totally missing the boat on doing what would make 10x more sense: starting America East Football. If they did that, they could steal Merrimack and SHU from the MAAC before they even land there.

NY Crusader 2010
October 26th, 2023, 06:02 PM
Don't disagree.

MC to CAA seems like a real long shot for next season, but you never know how fruitful those convos can be for future years.

I too think the PL will look down at SHU, but they would make an interesting addition to "balance" out the PL.

Fact. PL will barely give Sacred Heart a sniff. Even Fairfield supporters are now upset that they have to share a conference with the lowly "other" university in Fairfield, CT.

I wouldn't mind SHU -- would prefer them in PL football over Merrimack as an overall fit...even though I do enjoy the HC-Merrimack mini-rivalry that's developing. For me, you could flip a coin between SHU and Duquesne as far as who I'd rather see IF the league added an 8th.

UNHWildcat18
October 26th, 2023, 06:45 PM
If UNH, Maine, URI and Albany collectively are willing to sign off on bringing Merrimack on as the umpteenth CAA football affiliate, they are totally missing the boat on doing what would make 10x more sense: starting America East Football. If they did that, they could steal Merrimack and SHU from the MAAC before they even land there.

Respectfully AE teams aren’t starting a football league with SHU and Merrimack….

Go...gate
October 26th, 2023, 07:02 PM
Fact. PL will barely give Sacred Heart a sniff. Even Fairfield supporters are now upset that they have to share a conference with the lowly "other" university in Fairfield, CT.

I wouldn't mind SHU -- would prefer them in PL football over Merrimack as an overall fit...even though I do enjoy the HC-Merrimack mini-rivalry that's developing. For me, you could flip a coin between SHU and Duquesne as far as who I'd rather see IF the league added an 8th.

Right. Wagner, maybe, but not Sacred Heart.

aceinthehole
October 26th, 2023, 07:18 PM
Right. Wagner, maybe, but not Sacred Heart.

Really ... Wagner?

Again, I think EVERYONE knows the Patriot League isn't adding any current/former NEC football team, but hypothetically how would you rank their individual "attractiveness" to PL Presidents?

Go...gate
October 26th, 2023, 07:34 PM
Really ... Wagner?

Again, I think EVERYONE knows the Patriot League isn't adding any current/former NEC football team, but hypothetically how would you rank their individual "attractiveness" to PL Presidents?

Wagner makes sense from a size and regional standpoint.

Duquesne, though a stretch geographically, also offers some synergies.

downbythebeach
October 26th, 2023, 07:35 PM
If the Patriot League can have Loyola (MD) then why not Duquesne?

That being said they have to have the worst stadium in FCS.

Go...gate
October 26th, 2023, 10:13 PM

That has been something of a bone of contention, though Loyola has been investing substantial resources in its academic facilities and programs for a while now, and has definitely raised its profile. That seems to attract the PL Presidents' attention, though it did not work for Hofstra (an epic mistake by the PL, IMO).

DFW HOYA
October 26th, 2023, 10:20 PM

With the demise of Jacksonville football and Georgetown's upgrade to the woeful Multi-Sport Field, Duquesne holds the title.

crusader11
October 27th, 2023, 04:32 AM
That has been something of a bone of contention, though Loyola has been investing substantial resources in its academic facilities and programs for a while now, and has definitely raised its profile. That seems to attract the PL Presidents' attention, though it did not work for Hofstra (an epic mistake by the PL, IMO).

Are you thinking of Towson?

mainejeff
October 27th, 2023, 05:40 AM

My proposal if Delaware leaves the CAA:

* America East goes after Towson, Monmouth and Drexel for all sports.

* America East sponsors football and adds URI, Villanova and Fordham as associate members.

AE Football Line-Up (9 members):

Maine
UNH
Bryant
URI
Albany
Fordham
Monmouth
Villanova
Towson

UNHWildcat18
October 27th, 2023, 06:12 AM
My proposal if Delaware leaves the CAA:

* America East goes after Towson, SBU and Drexel for all sports.

* America East sponsors football and adds URI, Villanova and Richmond as associate members.

AE Football Line-Up (9 members):

Maine
UNH
Bryant
URI
Albany
Richmond
SBU
Villanova
Towson

FIFY

mainejeff
October 27th, 2023, 06:33 AM
FIFY

You can forget about Stony Brook and Richmond. Stony Brook too butt hurt how the whole exodus from AE transpired and "too good" for AE now (check out their hideous records in most sports since they joined the CAA).....and Richmond is a private Southern school.....no way they are joining a football league with all NE/Mid-Atlantic members.

UNHWildcat18
October 27th, 2023, 08:23 AM
You can forget about Stony Brook and Richmond. Stony Brook too butt hurt how the whole exodus from AE transpired and "too good" for AE now (check out their hideous records in most sports since they joined the CAA).....and Richmond is a private Southern school.....no way they are joining a football league with all NE/Mid-Atlantic members.
SBU leadership was shortsighted and dumb as rocks but I’d try to get them back 10 times over before asking Monmouth. I disagree about Richmond, I doubt they say no to that make up for football. The other option is what? Okay you have W&M and Elon. Great partners for football, I’ll be very sad to lose them as conference mates. Then whom? Hampton? Campbell? Monmouth? NCA&T? They don’t move the needle for Richmond fans…..and future additions of whom? Big south or MEAC schools? If they wanna cut travel costs sure go with latter. Their fans are disgruntled about the make up as it is. Their board is almost as negative as Delaware

NHwildEcat
October 27th, 2023, 08:33 AM
FIFY

I like this make up better.

crusader11
October 27th, 2023, 08:56 AM
CAA football has been making crazy decisions of late, but if they were to add Merrimack that would be the craziest of them all. Aside from the Flo Sports deal. CAA football is already too big - adding a school that no one knows has football makes no sense.

Is Merrimack really that much worse than NC A&T, Campbell, or Hampton? Gets the New England CAA schools another school locally.

aceinthehole
October 27th, 2023, 09:23 AM
Is Merrimack really that much worse than NC A&T, Campbell, or Hampton? Gets the New England CAA schools another school locally.

While some CAA legacy fans like it or not, it is likely that FCS conference makeups will become much more regional.

Not sure there will be much value other than nostalgia for Maine and UNH to share a conference with a Richmond and W&M. The size of the CAA Football is just ripe for a N/S split if/when Delaware bolts for FBS. Even without a split, IMO the schedule wont have many games between the north and south fir much longer. I think that's why you are seeing so many teams added. The league is trying to improve travel.

North:
Maine, UNH, URI, Bryant, Albany, SBU, Monmouth, Villanova

South:
Towson, William & Mary, Richmond, Campbell, Elon, Hampton, NC A&T, Howard

UNHWildcat18
October 27th, 2023, 09:24 AM

Facilities are not even close. MC is much much worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Facilities are not even close. MC is much much worse.

Go...gate
October 27th, 2023, 04:34 PM
Are you thinking of Towson?

No. Loyola considered membership in the PL as a part of its strategic plan to raise its overall profile.

Go...gate
October 27th, 2023, 04:38 PM
I agree that regional conferences are more desirable.

downbythebeach
October 27th, 2023, 08:38 PM
I agree that regional conferences are more desirable.
An all Pennsylvania conference

UPenn
Nova
Lehigh
Lafayette
Bucknell
SFU
Duquesne
RMU

Oddly enough some of these teams have never played each other.

Original_RMC
October 30th, 2023, 09:27 AM
The NEC made their bed by shipping out Monmouth first when they jumped to the MAAC after the 2012 season. I know that RMU wanted to stay within the NEC for football but was declined. Since 2020, RMU has been 6-26 overall and 3-14 within the Big South.
Its been a struggle.
Would the NEC offer RMU a spot back? I doubt it with the current leadership within the NEC would they reach out to RMU. I think the NEC is looking to grow their conference through regional schools within the NE to move up to FCS D1.

With Bryant moving to the CAA, could the new Big South/OVC welcome additional members like a SFU or Duquesne?

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2023, 10:36 AM
NEC had to deny Monmouth, RMU, and Bryant associate memberships. It would have set a bad precedent to allow the departing members to maintain access to the league's AQ, when it was the their departures that significantly hurt the league in multiple sports.

I have no regrets for the NEC decision at the time. The departure of 2 more teams this round, may force the league into a different position. However, I would rather offer the 2 full-time members of the Big South (CSU and GWU) before I would even approach RMU, SHU, or Merrimack.

Again, I don't blame the schools for leaving the NEC - it is a garbage conference across the board. But decisions have consequences and the league needs to do what's in the best interest of remaining members, period.

UNHWildcat18
October 30th, 2023, 10:48 AM
I really wonder if SHU and MC might get stuck as independents. NEC won’t offer them. big south doesn’t need them with the whole OVC thing… They might be screwed..

Libertine
October 30th, 2023, 12:04 PM
big south doesn’t need them

With or without the OVC, the Big South -- as it has since its inception three decades ago -- will inevitably find itself in a position to need any warm body it can cuddle up to.

Original_RMC
October 30th, 2023, 04:23 PM
NEC had to deny Monmouth, RMU, and Bryant associate memberships. It would have set a bad precedent to allow the departing members to maintain access to the league's AQ, when it was the their departures that significantly hurt the league in multiple sports.

I have no regrets for the NEC decision at the time. The departure of 2 more teams this round, may force the league into a different position. However, I would rather offer the 2 full-time members of the Big South (CSU and GWU) before I would even approach RMU, SHU, or Merrimack.

Again, I don't blame the schools for leaving the NEC - it is a garbage conference across the board. But decisions have consequences and the league needs to do what's in the best interest of remaining members, period.

I don't see the NEC coming back to schools they removed. It would look bad. But the NEC has been nothing but a stepping stone conference for schools like Albany, Stony Brook, Monmouth..etc. And it will continue.

ngineer
October 30th, 2023, 06:53 PM
Don't disagree.

Is SHU Jesuit? The other three are. Not that it makes a difference, but interesting if they are. SHU has been building up their athletics...and even joined the EIWA for wrestling, which is home for Lehigh, Bucknell, and several of the Ivies: Cornell, Penn, Princeton, Columbia, Brown and Harvard. It's up to the PL Presidents Council so a lot will depend on their "academic footprint".

UAalum72
October 30th, 2023, 07:20 PM
[/B]
Is SHU Jesuit? The other three are. Not that it makes a difference, but interesting if they are.No, Sacred Heart was founded by the Diocese of Bridgeport, not by any religious order.

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2023, 07:31 PM
No, Sacred Heart was founded by the Diocese of Bridgeport, not by any religious order.

Correct.

Founded in 1963 as an independent, Catholic University by the Most Reverend Walter W. Curtis, Bishop of the Diocese of Bridgeport.

SHU is the first Catholic University in America to be led and staffed by lay people and is the 2nd largest Catholic university in New England.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 5th, 2023, 08:05 AM

Agreed. The conference is poorly led, but that was a good precedent. Of course, it hasn't stopped schools from leaving.

- - - Updated - - -

An all Pennsylvania conference

UPenn
Nova
Lehigh
Lafayette
Bucknell
SFU
Duquesne
RMU

Oddly enough some of these teams have never played each other.

Which is ridiculous.

NY Crusader 2010
November 5th, 2023, 08:20 AM
It's also weird how irregularly crosstown FCS foes Villanova and Penn play each other.

OhioHen
November 5th, 2023, 10:06 AM
It's also weird how irregularly crosstown FCS foes Villanova and Penn play each other.
Villanova can schedule other cupcakes without the expectation of a return game.

Nova09
November 5th, 2023, 08:07 PM
This may not mean anything at all (and I'm leaning toward it doesn't) but since we're playing wild speculation here I'll throw in some more facts to allow thoughts to run wild:

Merrimack is one of he few Augustinian institutes of higher education. The marquee one, of course, is Villanova.

Villanova's status as a leader for the Order of Saint Augustine is such that a number of the important people at MC have ties to nova: Villanova higher ups on the board at MC, MC higher ups who spent time at Nova, etc.

Now, these people don't care about athletics. Doesn't matter at all to them where Nova plays football, as long as costs are contained. BUT, they have seen what athletics means to Nova's reputation. And they could see helping along MCs athletics as the best thing they can do to leverage their Nova positions for MCs benefit.

Now I mentioned these people don't care about athletics, but the athletic director clearly does. And it just so happens the Nova AD is from Boston, and played football against MC, so he knows the program. And he has the president's ear. So if the pres says "what's on the radar ith realignment?" And he wants to answer "well MC is in the mix, we could really pair with them..."

Add to all this the fact we're discussing a possible Delaware departure, and Nova's motives become even less clear. Do they want to stay CAA without their rival? Does the CAA even care? Normally an associate member doesn't get much sway.

But, from Nova's perspective, many of the appealing factors from yankee/a10 20+ years go would be gone. (1) rival UD (2) somewhat smilarish schools hofstra/neastern (2b) somewhat similarish schools w&m/Richmond if Nova moved to north (3) handful of easy to easyish bus trips lost of moved to north and no UD (4) if moved to north, would be grouped with mostly NY/NE state schools

So, you heard it here first (with the caveat I don't actually believe what I'm saying): UD leaving will be the impetus for a Nova ultimatum: bring in Merrimack or we leave, too

NY Crusader 2010
November 5th, 2023, 08:58 PM
Villanova can schedule other cupcakes without the expectation of a return game.

They definitely play some local cupcakes but all of those series involve return games to my knowledge.

DFW HOYA
November 5th, 2023, 09:42 PM
So, you heard it here first (with the caveat I don't actually believe what I'm saying): UD leaving will be the impetus for a Nova ultimatum: bring in Merrimack or we leave, too

Clearly, no ultimatum from Nova to bring in, much less schedule, Georgetown.

Go...gate
November 6th, 2023, 12:28 AM
Where would Villanova go if they left the CAA?

Wolffan
November 6th, 2023, 04:00 AM
This may not mean anything at all (and I'm leaning toward it doesn't) but since we're playing wild speculation here I'll throw in some more facts to allow thoughts to run wild:

Merrimack is one of he few Augustinian institutes of higher education. The marquee one, of course, is Villanova.

Or Nova phones Patriot League office and says, “OK we finally agree to join your football league BUT Merrimack comes with us and they’re doing all sports”.

PL jumps on that offer (if they have any sense).

(In the spirit of wild speculation with the assumption that Nova has dwindling love for CAA football with UDs departure and plays a couple of PL football teams per year anyway and Merrimack already has a nice rivalry with HC in football and would fit in nicely alongside HC with its other sports.)

UNHWildcat18
November 6th, 2023, 06:46 AM
I admit not what I expected to learn today in terms of the background relationship between Merrimack and Nova. Not sure if Nova could really strong arm anyone though.

MR. CHICKEN
November 6th, 2023, 06:59 AM
Where would Villanova go if they left the CAA?

.....THEY'D....FOLLOW DUH FEATHERS.......LIKE HANSEL/GRETTLE.......DOODLE-DOO!

aceinthehole
November 6th, 2023, 07:18 AM
As indicated by Matt Brown, these are the PREFRENCES of the former NEC teams.

SHU to Patriot League Football - SHU has played many PL teams in non-conference going back years. From the SHU perspective, I think they could be "competitive" in this league in short order. Yes, they would be excited about the rubbing elbows with some academically elite schools, but I think they view the PL as their top choice because of the footprint (travel) and competitiveness of the football more than anything else.

Merrimack to CAA Football - While very news to FCS, I think MC leadership would like the CAA because of the association with New England schools Maine, UNH (their Hockey East peers) and URI, Bryant (a former NE-10 rival), Monmouth (former NEC/MAAC school) and Villanova (Augustinian order). These are the schools they would like to play. I don't think they care about the quality or difficultly of CAA football or have any interest in the Southern schools, but this group seems to have more "friends" for them relative to the PL.

Bottom line, this is where both SHU and MC want to land, but that is meaningless unless the conferences have any mutual interest in them. They are both very happy with the move to the MAAC and just need to find home for a few sports - they aren't trying to leverage bigger changes.

Original_RMC
November 7th, 2023, 01:43 PM
Interesting. I wonder if the NEC is going to welcome back other teams.

https://northeastconference.org/news/2023/10/28/MLAX_ClevelandState_RMU_Associates_MLAX_23.aspx

aceinthehole
November 7th, 2023, 02:07 PM

https://northeastconference.org/news/2023/10/28/MLAX_ClevelandState_RMU_Associates_MLAX_23.aspx

Enough time had passed and the NEC needed the bodies for Men's Lax. It was a smart move by both sides.

I don't think you will see the NEC extending a FB-only invite to RMU, SHU, and MC for next Fall unless there is something big it for the NEC. If it does happens, I would expect a very hight associate fee for the schools.

Original_RMC
November 7th, 2023, 03:11 PM
I'm already hearing some rumors from just this news that the NEC 'could' entertain welcoming back RMU football to the NEC.

dbackjon
November 7th, 2023, 03:22 PM
Enough time had passed and the NEC needed the bodies for Men's Lax. It was a smart move by both sides.

I don't think you will see the NEC extending a FB-only invite to RMU, SHU, and MC for next Fall unless there is something big it for the NEC. If it does happens, I would expect a very hight associate fee for the schools.

If they are inviting RMU Lax, and the NEC needed at least one more team, that indicates to me that hard feelings may have smoothed over. NEC needs another football affiliate, and NEC makes more sense than the Big South

DFW HOYA
November 7th, 2023, 03:27 PM
Best case scenario:

Central Connecticut
Duquesne
LIU
Marist
Merrimack
Robert Morris
Sacred Heart
St. Francis
Stonehill
Wagner

aceinthehole
November 7th, 2023, 04:48 PM
I'm already hearing some rumors from just this news that the NEC 'could' entertain welcoming back RMU football to the NEC.

It wouldn't surprise me too much. I imagine that SFU and DUQ are in favor to bring RMU back. A few seasons have passed, and some hard feeling may have also passed with the time.

Obviously, the NEC is in a tough spot and IMO this move would make it more likely that SHU and MC will be shut out of NEC Football for a while.

aceinthehole
November 7th, 2023, 04:53 PM
Best case scenario:

Central Connecticut
Duquesne
LIU
Marist
Merrimack
Robert Morris
Sacred Heart
St. Francis
Stonehill
Wagner

The NEC doesn't need 10 teams for football - and I'm almost certain SHU and Merrimack will NOT be offered an associate membership for a while.

RMU is the most likely addition. I've heard Marist has practically had a standing invite - they don't want to spend more $$$ to play in the NEC.

Original_RMC
November 8th, 2023, 09:21 AM
If NEC boots SHU and Merrimack as potential associate football members, then obviously this would open the door for RMU to return.

UNHWildcat18
November 8th, 2023, 11:12 AM
If NEC boots SHU and Merrimack as potential associate football members, then obviously this would open the door for RMU to return.

I hope they do bring them back. I also wonder if there will be statements made on SHU or MC anytime soon in regards to the (doubtful) associate membership for football. I don't think the NEC would want to drag that decision on for a long time.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 8th, 2023, 02:02 PM

Noreen is desperate.

The NEC is behaving like the cuckold husband.

centraljerseycat
November 8th, 2023, 02:04 PM
Good question. If Delaware leaves and with JMU gone and games with Richmond and W & M no longer annual, I would hope Villanova would strongly consider leaving the "new" CAA. Best new home would be either the Patriot and tolerate the ridiculous redshirt and admission rules or join with the Northern tier of the CAA and a few Catholic brethren like Holy Cross and Fordham in an America East Football league.

Wolffan
November 8th, 2023, 04:32 PM
Good question. If Delaware leaves and with JMU gone and games with Richmond and W & M no longer annual, I would hope Villanova would strongly consider leaving the "new" CAA. Best new home would be either the Patriot and tolerate the ridiculous redshirt and admission rules or join with the Northern tier of the CAA and a few Catholic brethren like Holy Cross and Fordham in an America East Football league. The Patriot League would ditch the ridiculous redshirt and admission stuff in order to snag Villanova. Given the death of standardized testing, the admissions stuff is toothless anyway. Not that they'll admit it publicly, of course. As it is, HC and Fordham are likely to fight the sad Ivy copycat redshirt issue shortly.

DFW HOYA
November 8th, 2023, 09:56 PM
The Patriot League would ditch the ridiculous redshirt and admission stuff in order to snag Villanova. Given the death of standardized testing, the admissions stuff is toothless anyway. Not that they'll admit it publicly, of course. As it is, HC and Fordham are likely to fight the sad Ivy copycat redshirt issue shortly.

The Patriot League would probably ditch Georgetown in order to snag Villanova.

So what if one school (hint: they don't offer scholarships) still mandates SAT tests and the others don't--how are index scores accounted for?

Wolffan
November 9th, 2023, 05:45 AM

So what if one school (hint: they don't offer scholarships) still mandates SAT tests and the others don't--how are index scores accounted for?

PL is enamored with academic prestige so they’d never boot Georgetown from their football league. Ever. Who really cares (beyond their handful of football fans) if Georgetown wins a league game just once in a blue moon and has that tiny football “stadium”?

That is also why it is unlikely PL would invite SHU but might invite Merrimack if Nova was attached.

Georgetown’s just uninterested in putting dollars into football scholarships and other football-related items. It is what it is.

And it is not as though PL would have too many football teams if Nova joined.

NY Crusader 2010
November 9th, 2023, 12:21 PM

Count me as someone who wouldn't find the addition of Villanova to be that exciting. First and foremost, the Patriot League basketball conference is an extremely boring trash heap. Of the 3 schools everyone foams at the mouth about as far as joining (W&M, Nova, Richmond), 2 of those 3 would be football only. Another thing -- chances are Villanova would revert somewhat to the mean if they became a Patriot League football member. In other words, they'd be much more likely year over year to become a program comparable to Colgate and Fordham as opposed to one that's comparable to Delaware, Northern Iowa, Furman and Montana.

As far as any PL expansion, my idea would be to shore up basketball to the extent that's realistic. I'd bring in Fairfield and Northeastern. And, in a world where Delaware decides not to go FBS, I'd aim to bring in UD and W&M. I wouldn't say definitely no to Villanova coming on board, it's just that adding them as a football affiliate wouldn't be my priority.

DFW HOYA
November 9th, 2023, 12:52 PM
Georgetown’s just uninterested in putting dollars into football scholarships and other football-related items. It is what it is.

It's a little more complicated than that. Georgetown has roughly 125 athletic scholarships (60 M, 65 F) for 780 athletes across 30 teams--that's roughly 16 percent on an FTE basis. Basketball, soccer, and lacrosse are fully funded, but not much else. While it would be a stretch of an argument for someone to say it should double the number of scholarships across men's and women's sports simply to finish 4th or 5th instead of last in the Patriot League, the more pressing priority is offering scholarships among Big East-sponsored sports.

NY Crusader 2010
November 9th, 2023, 01:02 PM
It's a little more complicated than that. Georgetown has roughly 125 athletic scholarships (60 M, 65 F) for 780 athletes across 30 teams--that's roughly 16 percent on an FTE basis. Basketball, soccer, and lacrosse are fully funded, but not much else. While it would be a stretch of an argument for someone to say it should double the number of scholarships across men's and women's sports simply to finish 4th or 5th instead of last in the Patriot League, the more pressing priority is offering scholarships among Big East-sponsored sports.

Aren't all Georgetown's women's teams in the Big East? So by default, if football scholarships were added, more BIG EAST programs at G'town would receive funding.

Wolffan
November 9th, 2023, 04:58 PM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Wolffan https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=3157302#post3157302)

It's a little more complicated than that. Georgetown has roughly 125 athletic scholarships (60 M, 65 F) for 780 athletes across 30 teams--that's roughly 16 percent on an FTE basis. Basketball, soccer, and lacrosse are fully funded, but not much else. While it would be a stretch of an argument for someone to say it should double the number of scholarships across men's and women's sports simply to finish 4th or 5th instead of last in the Patriot League, the more pressing priority is offering scholarships among Big East-sponsored sports.I think we are in agreement.

Go...gate
November 9th, 2023, 05:28 PM
PL is enamored with academic prestige so they’d never boot Georgetown from their football league. Ever. Who really cares (beyond their handful of football fans) if Georgetown wins a league game just once in a blue moon and has that tiny football “stadium”?

That is also why it is unlikely PL would invite SHU but might invite Merrimack if Nova was attached.

And it is not as though PL would have too many football teams if Nova joined.

GU seems to make every excuse otherwise, but this is the bottom line.

The Boogie Down
November 10th, 2023, 12:11 AM
Good question. If Delaware leaves and with JMU gone and games with Richmond and W & M no longer annual, I would hope Villanova would strongly consider leaving the "new" CAA. Best new home would be either the Patriot and tolerate the ridiculous redshirt and admission rules or join with the Northern tier of the CAA and a few Catholic brethren like Holy Cross and Fordham in an America East Football league.

Yes, sir! But "The A-10" has a nicer ring than the America East Football League.