PDA

View Full Version : SLC Week 9 Pick ‘Em

McCowboys
October 23rd, 2023, 05:57 AM
SLC Week 9 Pick ‘Em https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjx6ddvXk6tLMKq_kqAGVLHAMprJRVGWyZcFRWmLnBt7e 1Q-xfyJHxcRzIj34kLSOVLmCGf93mshVq-4F-oZWkZNdsgOzJba1BFgc_HR7MJSnIoQk_NB36j9duv8kvn6TMnB iH1plO1HU31MY22axosxTl7SBhNmbRWUWilRq3dRXxdCIkd6wW E9sfEndIV/w165-h74/!SLC%20earned%20every%20day.jpg (https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/6383734359116918752/3538428889050972260#)

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiE5zEb7LhygTW0PLnc_xwqAatXMdqg_bitVmNk5uemoU JJC2_M2LesjFKAbQcPNwCSdmR2ohB2V2ZMutdtK4Y7lOfXeHLT 1td0rRo0gliJcfQolZBThMc6loao0MmaTqZBS8b_CSskxJCduK 3Nhf48crKd0TVin21e_hJ5cIGzyODp0Z4xW0N5C-f2drUZ/w615-h270/9.jpg (https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/6383734359116918752/3538428889050972260#)

SLC Week 9 Pick 'Em

There are four contests this week, three conference games, three afternoon games, and one evening affair. The four Texas schools face off against one another.
SLU takes the week off after securing its first win of the season against NSU.

Commerce, who is on a two game losing slide, travels to HCU who has lost its last two conference games, but did pound Prairie View A&M in its most recent game before taking last week off.

Nicholls, one of the conference leaders (3-0), plays out of conference and hosts Southeast Missouri State (SEMO) in an interesting and important contest for these two teams still vying for the playoffs.

McNeese and Northwestern State, the two remaining winless teams, renew their heated rivalry after missing out last year due to the reshuffling of the conference schedule when UIW decided to remain in the SLC and Lamar returned after a one-year absence. One of these teams will pick up a much-desired victory. This game serves as McNeese's Homecoming game.

However, of all the games, the most important game is being played in Beaumont, Texas, between the two other conference leaders (3-0) the Cardinals of UIW and Lamar.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgfOKzGfQP36lkYu53aa76U9ZTOtqBDD4MJiw0pNWGgSs Neo10JVQhrnDloMerkZnLQayB4Mi7yebbdz06IJ4UiatZtCAwA bjVJg_a1QheXq-F3WEkmOnw8AhaXS_Zn-tWoU7OKU9ToS9VoaIt9dFJlJHQ3j_IeDBfJtcvA_Wn-rnYD2bFdSXC90O_Tkd4e/w579-h211/Screenshot%202023-10-22%20172254.jpg (https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/6383734359116918752/3538428889050972260#)

No awards or prizes. Keep track of your own record during the season. When all is said and done, we will recognize the winner or winners. I hope to have a poll, but if not, just copy and paste and bold your selections.
The poll will close Saturday morning.

McNeese72
October 23rd, 2023, 06:50 AM
3-0 last week. 37-6 for the season. With my old bad memory, i am putting this here so I can remember it.

Puddin Tane
October 23rd, 2023, 10:53 AM
Ive got a couple questions.

- Is mcneese/ nw really a big rivalry? Excellent trophy, unless the woke world has deemed it offensive.
-Lu took a bye week that turned into 19 years. So, im kinda rusty on my nwsu histoty. I got tired of scrolling through nw past schedules. When was the last time they were worth a damn in football?
-did lu/mcneese lose its some of its luster during our extended decades long bye? I think maybe a little, we turned a bit of our hate to sfa and sammy. But they gone. Still hate mcneese ( though i admit, when we dropped football , i rooted for mcneese). I think we need a fight to get things more lively.
-how does Laird keep his job?

Puddin Tane
October 23rd, 2023, 11:02 AM
Andddd, getting ahead of myself, but does mcn/lu battle of the border have a trophy? Im drawing a blank due to old age. If not..i suggest- a fricking shrimp boat! That would be the biggest trophy in the nation!

Or giant crawfish? A barrel of crude oil? Rice vs sugar cane? An illegal 8 liner vs a legal slot machine? A gold plated pipe wrench? An alligator? A blue or red tarp for roofs?

McCowboys
October 23rd, 2023, 11:32 AM

- Is mcneese/ nw really a big rivalry? Excellent trophy, unless the woke world has deemed it offensive.
-Lu took a bye week that turned into 19 years. So, im kinda rusty on my nwsu histoty. I got tired of scrolling through nw past schedules. When was the last time they were worth a damn in football?
-did lu/mcneese lose its some of its luster during our extended decades long bye? I think maybe a little, we turned a bit of our hate to sfa and sammy. But they gone. Still hate mcneese ( though i admit, when we dropped football , i rooted for mcneese). I think we need a fight to get things more lively.
-how does Laird keep his job?

Many McNeese fans say that McNeese doesn't have a rival. They still like to hate ULL, ULM, and LaTech.
Some McNeese fans like me (who grew up an hour from Natchitoches and have several family members and friends who are Demons) and Doc think NSU is the biggest rival. As I recall, we do NOT have a trophy to play for. McNeese had beaten NSU 12 or 13 years in a row, but NSU beat us in Cowboy Stadium the last time we met.
I remember NSU being really good and winning playoff games around 1998 or 1999 or so.
A few McNeese fans do see Lamar as a big rivalry, and like with NSU, a rival in every sport. Lamar left the SLC twice, and that may have lessened some of the focus. I remember some of the great basketball games between the Cardinals and Cowboys back in the mid to late 70's. There was some really bad blood then. However, Lamar had not been anything to write home about in football for quite a while until this year.
Laird may be on the hot seat.

McCowboys
October 23rd, 2023, 11:37 AM
Andddd, getting ahead of myself, but does mcn/lu battle of the border have a trophy? Im drawing a blank due to old age. If not..i suggest- a fricking shrimp boat! That would be the biggest trophy in the nation!

Or giant crawfish? A barrel of crude oil? Rice vs sugar cane? An illegal 8 liner vs a legal slot machine? A gold plated pipe wrench? An alligator? A blue or red tarp for roofs?

The Battle of the Border Trophy. It says it is "all sports." This is a Cowboy football player holding it after McNeese beat Lamar in football last season. I don't know which school has it at present, providing it does go back and forth on who wins in all the sports the schools participate in.

Battle of the Border Trophyhttps://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhXQa3W-7S9KkVSD9uxDSZiRoUrVlYPoyS9HmO5wEJSpE6heMl6JS2BKto fZZXesk8PCSxYNVycCbnCb8LcmkGpC0EkjQi6YaM3Ut7Bb3VDn rKvLnO5UZE2VMpsdw1ZRhArvJyExR8tfGQ6SH0cHQ7kK6yNOsW bdLtdbpXM89UJZxzCd4dIHi8eeC2bVyS7/w426-h431/border%20trophy.jpg (https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/6383734359116918752/7168502856263648857#)

McCowboys
October 23rd, 2023, 11:43 AM
Getting back to the subject at hand. These are some really tough picks this week. I actually want Lamar to win. I won't call UIW a rival, but I just do not like them in any sport.
I want Nicholls to win an out of conference game, but all the predictions I see are tossups, and SEMO is a good team who has played many close games.
For McNeese and NSU, you can just about throw the record books and records out the window. Even though McNeese won for many years in a row, most of those were by a touchdown or less. If these two teams only played the first half, I would give a strong nod to the Cowboys because we have been ahead at half in many games we went on to lose. We are not a second half team.
HCU and Commerce? Another toss up. I just don't know. I thought Commerce would give Nicholls a better game. I just have no clue.

McCowboys
October 23rd, 2023, 04:21 PM

I see you picked LU over UIW. Wishful thinking or good reasoning?
McNeese had good luck rushing in the first half, but UIW made adjustments in the second half and shut us down.
The defensive coordinator of UIW is Jim Gush. He was with McNeese for one season, and Cowboy fans loved him. Some hoped he would be head coach after Sterling Gilbert left.
It will be interesting to see who UIW starts at QB.

SpreadTheWord
October 23rd, 2023, 05:22 PM
McNeese had good luck rushing in the first half, but UIW made adjustments in the second half and shut us down.
The defensive coordinator of UIW is Jim Gush. He was with McNeese for one season, and Cowboy fans loved him. Some hoped he would be head coach after Sterling Gilbert left.

I'd actually love to see Richard Torres get the start against Lamar. Calzada sat out last week as a precaution and hasn't looked nearly as good as we all thought at the beginning of the season. Torres is the future for sure and played really well against McNeese, leading a come from behind victory. Let's keep the hot hand going with Torres and see how he does.

Puddin Tane
October 23rd, 2023, 05:48 PM

well, I need to catch up in the picks, so i gotta pick different or go down in flames.

uiw hasnt been totally destroying people like we thought they would. We have no rush defense, but if coach gets his way, we gain 3.4 yards a play and keep the ball outta uiw’s hands. Thats been his game plan all year. Been working, but almost blew the sela game trying to play stall ball instead of keeping the hammer down. We could win or get blown out.

but, in short…wishful thinking. I think we are a year away from being very good

Puddin Tane
October 23rd, 2023, 06:02 PM
Getting back to the subject at hand. These are some really tough picks this week. I actually want Lamar to win. I won't call UIW a rival, but I just do not like them in any sport.
I want Nicholls to win an out of conference game, but all the predictions I see are tossups, and SEMO is a good team who has played many close games.
For McNeese and NSU, you can just about throw the record books and records out the window. Even though McNeese won for many years in a row, most of those were by a touchdown or less. If these two teams only played the first half, I would give a strong nod to the Cowboys because we have been ahead at half in many games we went on to lose. We are not a second half team.
HCU and Commerce? Another toss up. I just don't know. I thought Commerce would give Nicholls a better game. I just have no clue.

id like to see nicholls…or lu…win out. That way i think theres an autobid and an uiw at large and it would maybe keep one of the overrated mvfc teams at home.

Puddin Tane
October 23rd, 2023, 06:03 PM
I'd actually love to see Richard Torres get the start against Lamar. Calzada sat out last week as a precaution and hasn't looked nearly as good as we all thought at the beginning of the season. Torres is the future for sure and played really well against McNeese, leading a come from behind victory. Let's keep the hot hand going with Torres and see how he does.

dont matter, just hand the ball off

McCowboys
October 23rd, 2023, 06:20 PM
dont matter, just hand the ball off

LOL

McNeese72
October 23rd, 2023, 08:03 PM

Nope! As an ancient Cowboy fan, the only true rivalry is SLI/USL/ULL (or whatever flavor they are this week). Nothing will ever come along to top what we had with them.

And far as I know, there is no trophy for the game with NSU and I don't see the need for one.

Of course, I have developed a dislike for UIW and their propensity to score unneeded last second TD's in games they already have in the bag.

Doc

McNeese72
October 23rd, 2023, 08:15 PM
Some tough games to call this week.

I'm going with HCU over Commerce.

Nicholls over SE Missouri.

UIW over Lamar (even though I would love to see Lamar beat them). I wonder if their start QB will be back for the Lamar game?

And finally, against my better judgement I am picking McNeese over Northwestern St. McNeese looked pretty good in the first half of the UIW game and I can see some improvement in their play. But I wonder if they will come out flat after the big game against UIW. But it is Homecoming Weekend.

I doubt I go 4-0 this weekend.

Doc

Puddin Tane
October 23rd, 2023, 09:23 PM
Im all screwed up. I was thinking the wooden Indian, but thats nw/SeffinA. And the woke world got him anyway.

LU had a bitchin rivalry with the cajuns back in the day

not sure why, probably cuz theyve been on top, but i really dont like uiw, altho their 287 fans have never been obnoxious. Maybe thats why? Been successful and nobody there gives a damn.

Puddin Tane
October 23rd, 2023, 09:26 PM
I think hcu/ commerce will be a good game. Commerce has played a pretty tough schedule. Hcu….dont know what team is gonna showup.

Puddin Tane
October 23rd, 2023, 09:29 PM
There is NO way, mcneese loses to Nw. No way, no how. Aint gonna happen.

McNeese75
October 24th, 2023, 05:01 PM

xeyebrowx

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2023, 03:20 PM

Because they quit

McCowboys
October 26th, 2023, 03:28 PM
Because they quit

Sadly. That is a school and a team in turmoil.

McNeese72
October 26th, 2023, 03:57 PM
Sadly. That is a school and a team in turmoil.

Well, Hell!!!! And a lot McNeese fans think McNeese's program is in a mess. Personally, I think we hit rock bottom and are started moving in the right directions with our youth movement.

Does a forfeit count as a W in the Pick 'Em???? Got to look at the little bit of a bright side. I would have rather have gotten it on the field and I think we had a great shot at it.

Doc

Doc

Puddin Tane
October 28th, 2023, 08:00 PM
Awwwww mannnnn! 17-7, bad cardinals

we had a tight end running in for a Td. Hit at the one, fumbled out of endzone.
had 4th and 2 at their 9 and got stopped short.

UIW moved the ball all over, but our D actually played pretty good. Offense stayed in locker room. Best defensive game weve played, worst offensive. We couldnt do ****.

Theres uptempo, then add in meth, you got UIW offense. They have a couple really good rbs. Freshman qb looked good. Their D played well, really exposed our weak OL

the game coulda gone either way, but UIW was clearly the better team

McCowboys
October 29th, 2023, 05:52 AM
Awwwww mannnnn! 17-7, bad cardinals

we had a tight end running in for a Td. Hit at the one, fumbled out of endzone.
had 4th and 2 at their 9 and got stopped short.

UIW moved the ball all over, but our D actually played pretty good. Offense stayed in locker room. Best defensive game weve played, worst offensive. We couldnt do ****.

Theres uptempo, then add in meth, you got UIW offense. They have a couple really good rbs. Freshman qb looked good. Their D played well, really exposed our weak OL

the game coulda gone either way, but UIW was clearly the better team

In the grand scheme of things it may not have mattered, but I was surprised that LU didn't attempt a field goal on the last deep foray into UIW territory. Who knows? Three points there might have really given the black and red Cardinals a big boost.

McCowboys
October 29th, 2023, 06:15 AM
This is what I have for this week and the season total. Let me know if you find an error. With the cancellation of the McNeese/NSU game, there were only 3 contests played. SFA93 is the star of the week as he is the only one to predict all 3 games.

bonarae

carribeanhen

dewey

kdinva

McCowboys

McNeese72

McNeese75

pokefan02

SFA 93

SpreadTheWord

Bear

The Cats

Puddin Tane

LionUp

Ming01

wapiti

AGrizFan999

BayouColonel

Griz23

Puddin Tane
October 29th, 2023, 05:51 PM
In the grand scheme of things it may not have mattered, but I was surprised that LU didn't attempt a field goal on the last deep foray into UIW territory. Who knows? Three points there might have really given the black and red Cardinals a big boost.

that was kind of a damned if you do, damed if you dont situation.
since our offense never got out their dorm rooms, really wasnt looking good at getting that close to the end zone again. Brother wanted to kick, I wanted to go for it. But not a fricking run up the gut!

McCowboys
October 29th, 2023, 06:06 PM
that was kind of a damned if you do, damed if you dont situation.
since our offense never got out their dorm rooms, really wasnt looking good at getting that close to the end zone again. Brother wanted to kick, I wanted to go for it. But not a fricking run up the gut!

LU stole that running play from McNeese. Shame on them! That's one of our favorite plays: let the other team put 8 or 9 in the box and then run it (or attempt to run it) up the middle.