PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'Em - Week 9

DFW HOYA
October 22nd, 2023, 09:24 AM
Three games on the docket for this weekend, with Lehigh idle.

Don't look now, but Colgate has won three straight, with three of its final four games at home and a game next week at Lafayette.

Lafayette (6-1, 2-0) at Georgetown (4-4, 2-1), 12:30
Holy Cross (4-3, 2-1) at Fordham (5-2, 1-1), 1:00
Bucknell (2-5, 0-3) at Colgate (3-4, 1-1), 1:00

The Cats
October 22nd, 2023, 09:32 AM

gravalico
October 22nd, 2023, 09:38 AM
Lafayette over Georgetown - more nerve-wracking than would suggest on paper.

HC over Fordham - HC isn't about to drop two to PL foes on back to back weeks

Colgate over Bucknell - wouldn't be surprised if it went the other way though.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

pardfan
October 22nd, 2023, 10:04 AM
LC
HC
Colgate
League as balanced as I've ever seen it. Off the wall comment: I'd like to see Boston U. take up football again. Maybe not. It took them fifteen minutes to be good at men's lacrosse.

Pards Rule
October 22nd, 2023, 10:28 AM
Say no to PL expansion! BTW 40 years ago today Lafayette played at Harrisonburg VA against JMU for very first time...and won 31-14. Two years later they were in Easton and Pards win again 20-13. All time vs JMU 2-0!

Pards Rule
October 22nd, 2023, 10:29 AM
<<< They know how to pick a winner! Eli Steward fans (from his HS) with my pard at Temple game last year

ngineer
October 22nd, 2023, 04:45 PM
Lafayette at Georgetown could be an interesting game, if Leotards are feeling "too good" about themselves. Fact that 'saders almost made a full comeback may have gotten their attention as they got out of Woostah. I think Troxell will have the heads sufficiently screwed on tight and 'pards win 31-21.

Saders at Rams could be a donneybrook. Going with HC, 45-37.

Raiders could roll big if Bucknell is demoralized from losing to Lehigh. A game Lehigh dominated for three and a half quarters. 'gate wins 35-21.

bonarae
October 22nd, 2023, 05:15 PM
Lafayette
Fordham
Colgate

NY Crusader 2010
October 22nd, 2023, 05:24 PM
LC
HC
Colgate
League as balanced as I've ever seen it. Off the wall comment: I'd like to see Boston U. take up football again. Maybe not. It took them fifteen minutes to be good at men's lacrosse.

Taking into consideration the administration and the current culture at BU, I'd say the chances of them starting up football again are next to zero.

NY Crusader 2010
October 22nd, 2023, 05:26 PM
Lafayette 27 Georgetown 16
Holy Cross 63 Fordham 48
Bucknell 28 Colgate 23

DFW HOYA
October 22nd, 2023, 05:43 PM
Taking into consideration the administration and the current culture at BU, I'd say the chances of them starting up football again are next to zero.

Which begs the question: why doesn't the PL require sponsoring football (at FBS or FCS) as a condition of league membership?

Ivytalk
October 22nd, 2023, 06:05 PM

Roger that.

gravalico
October 22nd, 2023, 06:06 PM
Lafayette at Georgetown could be an interesting game, if Leotards are feeling "too good" about themselves. Fact that 'saders almost made a full comeback may have gotten their attention as they got out of Woostah. I think Troxell will have the heads sufficiently screwed on tight and 'pards win 31-21.

Saders at Rams could be a donneybrook. Going with HC, 45-37.

Raiders could roll big if Bucknell is demoralized from losing to Lehigh. A game Lehigh dominated for three and a half quarters. 'gate wins 35-21.The fact that we took HC to the brink last year and then promptly laid an egg vs. Georgetown the following week scares me. I'm sure Trox will remind them of that.

Bogus Megapardus
October 22nd, 2023, 06:26 PM
Which begs the question: why doesn't the PL require sponsoring football (at FBS or FCS) as a condition of league membership?

Army and Navy are the flip side of that coin.

Go...gate
October 22nd, 2023, 06:27 PM
Say no to PL expansion! BTW 40 years ago today Lafayette played at Harrisonburg VA against JMU for very first time...and won 31-14. Two years later they were in Easton and Pards win again 20-13. All time vs JMU 2-0!

JMU has had its problems with Colgate, too.

I still believe we need an eighth member for football. Wagner?

Bogus Megapardus
October 22nd, 2023, 06:31 PM

I think the wishful thinkers above wait still for one (or both) of those two CAA schools to shake loose. You know the ones.

NY Crusader 2010
October 22nd, 2023, 06:56 PM

Given that the last three schools that were invited to the PL don't sponsor football, it doesn't seem like the league thinks this is particularly important. My understanding is that in the wake of multiple waves of power conference expansion, non-conference games in MBB have become harder and harder to find. I believe this was part of the motivation behind going out and getting BU and Loyola in 2012. Two totally milquetoast adds IMO but logistics-wise, I guess it's helped the league out. And, yay lacrosse and Olympic sports I guess.

NY Crusader 2010
October 22nd, 2023, 07:00 PM

Wagner -- hard pass. I'd much rather have Duquesne if we were to bring in another football affiliate. Don't think PL expansion is even going to be considered unless any current member starts to get a foot out the door. And that doesn't seem to be the case, for now.

Pard4Life
October 22nd, 2023, 07:17 PM
Oh no, not the PL expansion discussion again...

NY Crusader 2010
October 22nd, 2023, 07:18 PM
I think the wishful thinkers above wait still for one (or both) of those two CAA schools to shake loose. You know the ones.

W&M, Richmond and Villanova are a lot less of the "perfect fit" than a lot of these dreamers think they are. For starters, Richmond and Villanova are only ever going to be football affiliates. W&M joining for all-sports would obviously be welcomed with wide open arms, but kind of an awkward fit geographically and somewhat culturally for them. As someone who grew up a huge William & Mary sports fan, I would feel very underwhelmed about making that move in all-sports without bringing along any other peer schools.

If Delaware decides to drop the whole FBS thing, W&M, Delaware, Northeastern and Fairfield to the PL in all-sports would be my "dream" expansion move. Who knows? Maybe College of Charleston goes to the A-10 and UD and W&M decide they'd rather be in a league with more traditional eastern teams as opposed to the likes of Bryant, Monmouth and who knows, maybe Howard and Morgan State in a few years. Honestly IMO, Patriot League football is a nice league. 5 of the 7 schools have a decent following and strong tradition for small, high-academic predominantly liberal arts-focused schools. I think the bigger problem is that the basketball league SUCKS and there's so little excitement surrounding that key intercollegiate sport at the majority of our member schools. If expansion were to happen, I'd ideally like to see it benefit both football and basketball. Richmond and Villanova don't check that box.

- - - Updated - - -

Too late.

Fordham
October 22nd, 2023, 08:02 PM
… what about Big East expansion?

And is it only Fordham fans who think we may close out the year 1-3?

DFW HOYA
October 22nd, 2023, 09:05 PM
… what about Big East expansion?

Holy Cross...missed it by that much...

caribbeanhen
October 23rd, 2023, 07:49 AM
W&M, Richmond and Villanova are a lot less of the "perfect fit" than a lot of these dreamers think they are. For starters, Richmond and Villanova are only ever going to be football affiliates. W&M joining for all-sports would obviously be welcomed with wide open arms, but kind of an awkward fit geographically and somewhat culturally for them. As someone who grew up a huge William & Mary sports fan, I would feel very underwhelmed about making that move in all-sports without bringing along any other peer schools.

If Delaware decides to drop the whole FBS thing, W&M, Delaware, Northeastern and Fairfield to the PL in all-sports would be my "dream" expansion move. Who knows? Maybe College of Charleston goes to the A-10 and UD and W&M decide they'd rather be in a league with more traditional eastern teams as opposed to the likes of Bryant, Monmouth and who knows, maybe Howard and Morgan State in a few years. Honestly IMO, Patriot League football is a nice league. 5 of the 7 schools have a decent following and strong tradition for small, high-academic predominantly liberal arts-focused schools. I think the bigger problem is that the basketball league SUCKS and there's so little excitement surrounding that key intercollegiate sport at the majority of our member schools. If expansion were to happen, I'd ideally like to see it benefit both football and basketball. Richmond and Villanova don't check that box.

- - - Updated - - -

Too late.

well the Delaware fanbase and big donors has generally had enough of FCS and the new CAA, and the administration seems intent on landing in FBS so I’m not counting on them dropping it

caribbeanhen
October 23rd, 2023, 09:21 AM
Even in a loss, Sluka sure is fun to watch …. Just watched Laffy burn the Cross … fun game

Pards Rule
October 23rd, 2023, 10:02 AM

No no no! Because you like even numbers? Why? 5 OOC I love! Variety! Travel! Upsets!

Pards Rule
October 23rd, 2023, 10:04 AM

I know! Frick its like Michael Myers all over again! Im going to petition Bob Sell not to do it if it comes up!

NY Crusader 2010
October 23rd, 2023, 10:10 AM
well the Delaware fanbase and big donors has generally had enough of FCS and the new CAA, and the administration seems intent on landing in FBS so I’m not counting on them dropping it

I agree. I think there are two decent landing spots for them, if invited, with the preferred option being the SBC.

Suin Belt - align themselves with ODU, JMU, Coastal, Marshall, App State, Georgia State & Georgia Southern
AAC - align themselves with Temple, East Carolina, Charlotte + Navy in football

gravalico
October 23rd, 2023, 10:12 AM
Even in a loss, Sluka sure is fun to watch …. Just watched Laffy burn the Cross … fun gameI wonder if Sluka can catch. He'd make a hell of a slot receiver in the style of Julian Edleman. They moved Edleman form QB to receiver and he had a hell of a career.

Pards Rule
October 23rd, 2023, 01:46 PM
I wonder if Sluka can catch. He'd make a hell of a slot receiver in the style of Julian Edleman. They moved Edleman form QB to receiver and he had a hell of a career.

Great observation! Yes!

The Boogie Down
October 23rd, 2023, 03:38 PM

Wagner -- hard pass. I'd much rather have Duquesne if we were to bring in another football affiliate. Don't think PL expansion is even going to be considered unless any current member starts to get a foot out the door. And that doesn't seem to be the case, for now.
And an even harder pass from me. Wagner?!? Okay, but only if Merchant Marines fails to take our calls first. Duquesne, otoh, would be a great move and I've always said so. But an even greater move and one I've also previously mentioned here?

HC or W&M to the A-10!!!

Either one coming in would help build a foundation for a true A-10 FCS conference. This as opposed to the old Yankee/A-10/CAA hybrid. I brought this up last year in a CAA thread and didn't find many new CAA fans supporting an A-10 FCS conference that poaches W&M. Doubt I'll find many PL fans here supporting an A-10 FCS conference that poaches HC. Even so...

A HC, URI, Fordham, Duquesne, Richmond + an affiliate (like Villanova and/or Georgetown if they go scholly) or a URI, Fordham, Duquesne, Richmond, W&M + an affiliate (like Villanova and/or Georgetown if they go scholly) combination each carry a level of tradition and, going forward, a top to bottom ability to succeed. Except for Georgetown, every school listed has at least one FCS playoffs win as well as at least one FBS win. Most, including Georgetown, actually have a history in the FBS. That's a far cry from "Little 3" or even "Core 4" PL teams that have always enjoyed being well,,, a little core. A far cry from the pop-up programs all recently finding homes in the new CAA too.

Bottom line, an A-10 FCS league would come without all the PL restrictions and without all the needles deadweight the new CAA has been adding. A year ago the hot rumor was Iona joining the A-10. Now it seems to be Charleston. Who knows where the A-10 will ultimately go? But if they were to reach out to HC or W&M (and if they accepted), then that could be the start to a serious mid-Atlantic league. Would also be troublesome to either the PL or CAA. Just in terms of team members, more so for the former than the latter.

Go...gate
October 24th, 2023, 02:31 AM

That ship has sailed.

Go...gate
October 24th, 2023, 02:35 AM
And an even harder pass from me. Wagner?!? Okay, but only if Merchant Marines fails to take our calls first. Duquesne, otoh, would be a great move and I've always said so. But an even greater move and one I've also previously mentioned here?

HC or W&M to the A-10!!!

Either one coming in would help build a foundation for a true A-10 FCS conference. This as opposed to the old Yankee/A-10/CAA hybrid. I brought this up last year in a CAA thread and didn't find many new CAA fans supporting an A-10 FCS conference that poaches W&M. Doubt I'll find many PL fans here supporting an A-10 FCS conference that poaches HC. Even so...

A HC, URI, Fordham, Duquesne, Richmond + an affiliate (like Villanova and/or Georgetown if they go scholly) or a URI, Fordham, Duquesne, Richmond, W&M + an affiliate (like Villanova and/or Georgetown if they go scholly) combination each carry a level of tradition and, going forward, a top to bottom ability to succeed. Except for Georgetown, every school listed has at least one FCS playoffs win as well as at least one FBS win. Most, including Georgetown, actually have a history in the FBS. That's a far cry from "Little 3" or even "Core 4" PL teams that have always enjoyed being well,,, a little core. A far cry from the pop-up programs all recently finding homes in the new CAA too.

Bottom line, an A-10 FCS league would come without all the PL restrictions and without all the needles deadweight the new CAA has been adding. A year ago the hot rumor was Iona joining the A-10. Now it seems to be Charleston. Who knows where the A-10 will ultimately go? But if they were to reach out to HC or W&M (and if they accepted), then that could be the start to a serious mid-Atlantic league. Would also be troublesome to either the PL or CAA. Just in terms of team members, more so for the former than the latter.

Given today's NEC shakeup, Duquesne or Wagner might be PL possibilities.

DFW HOYA
October 24th, 2023, 08:57 AM
Given today's NEC shakeup, Duquesne or Wagner might be PL possibilities.

Except there are no possibilities. Unless you are one of the same three schools that remain wholly uninterested in PL football, none are worthy.

Hofstra was unworthy. So was Northeastern, Fairfield, Bryant, Monmouth, and on and on. Had Fr. Brooks stayed on at Holy Cross, even Georgetown would not have been voted in.

Franks Tanks
October 24th, 2023, 09:14 AM
Nothing will happen with the PL (football) until someone leaves. There are just no feasible options that work for the league and a potential suitor. If the usual suspects leave, we’ll have to look at a football only member or members in a Towson like shotgun marriage.

I’m always in favor of adding only all sports members with football, but there are zero options at present. Agree with our Fordham friend, that the largest threat to the PL is a breakup of the bloated CAA and the new Northeastern league poaching a few.

ngineer
October 24th, 2023, 10:50 AM
If the CAA breaks up, why not a Richmond or 'nova. both with good academics. Richmond a bit longer trip, but a 'nearby' rival for Georgetown. 'nova would never join PL for all sports because of bball, but UR might.

gravalico
October 24th, 2023, 10:56 AM
If the CAA breaks up, why not a Richmond or 'nova. both with good academics. Richmond a bit longer trip, but a 'nearby' rival for Georgetown. 'nova would never join PL for all sports because of bball, but UR might.Nova would sooner dissolve football before joining the PL. I suspect Richmond would feel the same. Flip side of that coin...the PL purists would have their eyes go permanently crossed looking down their noses at both of them as far as academics are concerned.

caribbeanhen
October 24th, 2023, 02:18 PM
I wonder if Sluka can catch. He'd make a hell of a slot receiver in the style of Julian Edleman. They moved Edleman form QB to receiver and he had a hell of a career.

yes indeed or maybe punt returner

crusader11
October 24th, 2023, 02:28 PM

It'll be interesting to see which one of the following options Sluka chooses following this season:

1) Returns to HC for a fifth year
2) Transfers to an FBS school for a grad year
3) Tests the NFL Draft waters

He's one of the most competitive guys I've seen in any sport. If HC misses the playoffs this year, I could see him wanting to come back for another season. Does he want to "go out" having missed the playoffs and not winning the PLC?

If he does transfer up to the FBS, is it as a QB? Suppose that depends on the school. I'm sure some would love to have his services as QB, others might see him as a hybrid guy who can line up in the backfield, slot, etc.

He's a freak athlete, so I do think there could potentially be a place for him at the next level, but it's hard to see that as a QB. Will be interesting to see the feedback he gets from scouts. He's listed at 6'3, 216. Suppose he could bulk up to 240 or so and play tight end? Or does he work on his speed and be a slot / possession-type of receiver? Or, does he following the Taysom Hill path?

gravalico
October 24th, 2023, 02:32 PM
It'll be interesting to see which one of the following options Sluka chooses following this season:

1) Returns to HC for a fifth year
2) Transfers to an FBS school for a grad year
3) Tests the NFL Draft waters

He's one of the most competitive guys I've seen in any sport. If HC misses the playoffs this year, I could see him wanting to come back for another season. Does he want to "go out" having missed the playoffs and not winning the PLC?

If he does transfer up to the FBS, is it as a QB? Suppose that depends on the school. I'm sure some would love to have his services as QB, others might see him as a hybrid guy who can line up in the backfield, slot, etc.

He's a freak athlete, so I do think there could potentially be a place for him at the next level, but it's hard to see that as a QB. Will be interesting to see the feedback he gets from scouts. He's listed at 6'3, 216. Suppose he could bulk up to 240 or so and play tight end? Or does he work on his speed and be a slot / possession-type of receiver? Or, does he following the Taysom Hill path?Chances are he won't make it at the next level as a QB, right? I mean that's such a small percent of the football playing population. And what makes him special is what he does on the ground. With this in mind Maybe the best course of action would be FBS as a receiver or special teams player? Start to build a resume in that direction.

Go...gate
October 24th, 2023, 05:55 PM
Except there are no possibilities. Unless you are one of the same three schools that remain wholly uninterested in PL football, none are worthy.

Hofstra was unworthy. So was Northeastern, Fairfield, Bryant, Monmouth, and on and on. Had Fr. Brooks stayed on at Holy Cross, even Georgetown would not have been voted in.

It has been a long time since the days of Father Brooks (and D' Gioia won't be around forever, either).

Many of the "players" are different now and the landscape of Division I College Football has completely changed since 1983.

Eventually, the conference has to face reality. Seven football schools are not enough.

DFW HOYA
October 24th, 2023, 06:48 PM
It has been a long time since the days of Father Brooks (and D' Gioia won't be around forever, either).
Many of the "players" are different now and the landscape of Division I College Football has completely changed since 1983.
Eventually, the conference has to face reality. Seven football schools are not enough.

It's long apparent the league doesn't want to face reality. The PL didn't want Towson, took Georgetown only because Towson was leaving, and has passed on numerous good candidates in a show of false bravado. Perfect is the enemy of good, and the PL seems lost in a middle ground between Ivy Jr. and CAA Lite.

gravalico
October 24th, 2023, 08:29 PM
[PL seems lost in a middle ground between Ivy Jr. and CAA Lite.[/QUOTE]

Perfectly put.

gravalico
October 24th, 2023, 09:09 PM
[PL seems lost in a middle ground between Ivy Jr. and CAA Lite.

Perfectly put.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]I will say this though...it feels like the PL is closing the gap (from a football perspective only) on the Ivies. Wins for the Ancient 8 aren't a given against PL schools anymore. The CAA is still miles ahead from top to bottom.

Sader87
October 24th, 2023, 09:35 PM
Mmmmm.....I wouldn't say the PL is "Ivy Lite" right now.....the league seems to be showing some life this year.....Lafayette won at Princeton, HC at Yale, Colgate at Cornell etc...the big question facing the PL in football moving forward will be the red-shirt policy post the Covid years.

The Boogie Down
October 24th, 2023, 10:34 PM
It's long apparent the league doesn't want to face reality. The PL didn't want Towson, took Georgetown only because Towson was leaving, and has passed on numerous good candidates in a show of false bravado. Perfect is the enemy of good, and the PL seems lost in a middle ground between Ivy Jr. and CAA Lite.

The one saving grace is that the CAA itself has become CAA Lite. In fairness to them, I think their questionable additions have been made in preparation for a future break. I'm guessing if/when that happens the PL will finally act. Probably won't mean much to the "Core-4" but the Jebbies? They'll be presented with options...

Mmmmm.....I wouldn't say the PL is "Ivy Lite" right now.....the league seems to be showing some life this year.....Lafayette won at Princeton, HC at Yale, Colgate at Cornell etc...the big question facing the PL in football moving forward will be the red-shirt policy post the Covid years.

I think by "Ivy Jr" DFW was referring to academics as well as following the Ivies w/things like the AI, a lack of scholarships, lack of redshirts and, originally at least, no post-season. Post-season has changed. Scholarships have changed. Redshirts have changed for now, and as a whole, we've gotten better for it. But will we go back to being Ivy Juniors after the last Covid class graduates? Will Georgetown get any relief on the AI front? I'm looking forward to how this all plays out xthumbsupx

Go...gate
October 25th, 2023, 02:01 AM
The one saving grace is that the CAA itself has become CAA Lite. In fairness to them, I think their questionable additions have been made in preparation for a future break. I'm guessing if/when that happens the PL will finally act. Probably won't mean much to the "Core-4" but the Jebbies? They'll be presented with options...

I think by "Ivy Jr" DFW was referring to academics as well as following the Ivies w/things like the AI, a lack of scholarships, lack of redshirts and, originally at least, no post-season. Post-season has changed. Scholarships have changed. Redshirts have changed for now, and as a whole, we've gotten better for it. But will we go back to being Ivy Juniors after the last Covid class graduates? Will Georgetown get any relief on the AI front? I'm looking forward to how this all plays out xthumbsupx

Who? What? Please clarify.

NY Crusader 2010
October 25th, 2023, 05:54 AM

Spot on. The CAA has done a tremendous job over the last 20 years replacing departures of key members. Unfortunately, as A-10 and G5 conference expansion continues to affect it's ranks, they're running out of suitable warm bodies to fill holes. The CAA has done a great job grabbing programs and institutions on the up and up. First, in 2001, there was a deal that fell through that would've brought Furman, Davidson and The Citadel to the league. This development blew up when Richmond bolted for the A-10. In response, the CAA brought in for all sports Delaware, Towson, Drexel, Northeastern and Hofstra, raiding the A-East. Then, in 2005, they brought in Georgia State, who used the league as a springboard to FBS despite winning 1 football game in 2 years IIRC. In 2013, the league combatted the losses of George Mason, VCU and Old Dominion by bringing in Elon and College of Charleston. On the football side, the program shutdowns at Northeastern and Hofstra + the UMASS FBS move were backfilled nicely with Albany and Stony Brook who joined as football associates only at the time. The long-awaited goodbye from JMU was answered with a robust round of expansion in 2021, with Monmouth, SBU, Hampton, NC A&T and Campbell joining the ranks. The most recent addition, of Bryant as a football-only affiliate, seems unneeded on the surface given the massive size of the football conference. However, I believe this is a pre-emptive dress rehearsal as the CAA will look to add Bryant as a full member when either Delaware or College of Charleston leave.

I think after they ultimately add Bryant, raiding A-East once again, the CAA will have to look in the mirror and realize they're running out of warm bodies to replace departing key members. The next round of candidates? I give you Howard, Morgan State and Queens University. Fairfield would be a nice add but the Stags were rumored in last round and it never materialized. The America East schools would be smart, IMO, to try and spearhead a football league. They could prevent Bryant from ultimately leaving them for the CAA (which will happen) and even make the MAAC careers of Merrimack and SHU short-lived by adding them to the fold. Maybe even Holy Cross?

Sitting Bull
October 25th, 2023, 07:15 AM
IÂ’m not sure the CAA has to expand at this point. Football is at 16, all sports at 14. The league could weather several departures and still be in the healthy 10-12 member range.

On the all sports side, adding UAlbany is an east first move. After that, there are still a number of other options to include Fairfield (already an affiliate member in lacrosse) or another run at UNC Greensboro. I donÂ’t think the league will move away from the Boston to Charleston map.

I know everyone is assuming any moves may be Delaware and/or Charleston. Not convinced on either right now. WhatÂ’s bubbling up is I think some concern at Hampton and NC A&T. They are struggling to compete and itÂ’s been reported their fan bases are not enthralled with the new association. Couple that with the current rumor the MEAC is soon announcing their own expansion. Could be the departures are these two.

MR. CHICKEN
October 25th, 2023, 07:30 AM
.....DELAWARE...IS ...FBS SERIOUS!........TA MAH CHAGRIN.........BRAWK!

......IT'S WRITTEN BETWEEN DUH LINES......AS WELL AS ON DUH LINES......AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
October 25th, 2023, 07:40 AM
....JACKSONVILLE STATE/SAM HOUSTON........ARE STUFFIN' DEY'RE POCKETS.....WHIFF TV DUCATS......PLAYIN' IN MIDDLE UH WEEK....TA SOMEDAY BE ON ...SATURDAYS.........THERE'S UH COMMUNITY COLLEGE IN DELAWARE....GOLDEY BEACOM.......WHOM...BUILT DEY'RE KINGDOM.....ON DUH BACKS UH VETERANS/GI BILL.....LATE 60'S/EARLY 70'S.......AH KNOW.....AH WAS ONE UH THEM........THE MATH WAS 4TH/5TH GRADE....AN' PRETTY INSULTIN'.....BUT LOOK AT 'EM TA-DAY..........GOTTAH START SOMEWHERE.........DOODLE-DOO!

Sitting Bull
October 25th, 2023, 08:04 AM
....JACKSONVILLE STATE/SAM HOUSTON........ARE STUFFIN' DEY'RE POCKETS.....WHIFF TV DUCATS.....!

I highly doubt this move by either is a financial windfall. Somewhere, somehow - somebody has to pay for the added resources required to compete with Auburn, Alabama, Texas Tech, etc. That’s the league and standard they’ve put themselves in, right?

It’s better described as prostitution. You sell out your fans and student population to play football on Tuesday night - all because you can’t make this work without ESPN taking control of your schedule. And all the other sports programs have to either shut down or grin and bear all the new travel involved.

MR. CHICKEN
October 25th, 2023, 08:06 AM
]I highly doubt this move by either is a financial windfall.[/B] Somewhere, somehow - somebody has to pay for the added resources required to compete with Auburn, Alabama, Texas Tech, etc. That’s the league and standard they’ve put themselves in, right?

It’s better described as prostitution. You sell out your fans and student population to play football on Tuesday night - all because you can’t make this work without ESPN taking control of your schedule. And all the other sports programs have to either shut down or grin and bear all the new travel involved.

...AH MEANT.....EARNIN' DUH DUCATS TA COMPETE.....NOT PROFIT..............BAWK!

...BAH DUH WAY....KEELER SCARED DUH CRAP OUTTAH........BYU/TOP 25 AIR FORCE.....xcoolx.....DOODLES!

Pards Rule
October 25th, 2023, 08:26 AM
I highly doubt this move by either is a financial windfall. Somewhere, somehow - somebody has to pay for the added resources required to compete with Auburn, Alabama, Texas Tech, etc. That’s the league and standard they’ve put themselves in, right?

And this year SHSU is a mere 1-6, helmed by onetime frosh Pard QB Keegan Shoemaker who portaled during Covid. At one point about a decade ago I heard Lafayette and Jax State were negotiating a home and home?

Go...gate
October 25th, 2023, 01:59 PM

Anybody take a look at the academic standing of our football membership? It is far closer to the Ivy League than the CAA.

Will we have defectors? Yes, most likely Fordham, IMO. Holy Cross is also a possibility.

crusader11
October 25th, 2023, 02:23 PM
Anybody take a look at the academic standing of our football membership? It is far closer to the Ivy League than the CAA.

Kind of a snooty comment.

If you can show me how the following eight schools academic reputations and rankings have take a hit as a result of being in conferences without academic peers / like-minded schools, you have my attention:

Vanderbilt - SEC
Stanford - PAC12
MIT - NEWMAC
Duke - ACC
Northwestern - Big Ten
Rice - AAC
Notre Dame - ACC
Georgetown - Big East

Sader87
October 25th, 2023, 04:39 PM
Holy Cross isn't going anywhere.....unless the entire college football landscape is overturned......which may happen I suppose.

Go...gate
October 25th, 2023, 07:19 PM
Kind of a snooty comment.

If you can show me how the following eight schools academic reputations and rankings have take a hit as a result of being in conferences without academic peers / like-minded schools, you have my attention:

Vanderbilt - SEC
Stanford - PAC12
MIT - NEWMAC
Duke - ACC
Northwestern - Big Ten
Rice - AAC
Notre Dame - ACC
Georgetown - Big East

Not "snooty" at all. Conference-wide, including Georgetown, our only peers are the Ivy, NESCAC and Centennial conferences.

Go...gate
October 25th, 2023, 07:21 PM
Holy Cross isn't going anywhere.....unless the entire college football landscape is overturned......which may happen I suppose.

I believe HC and Fordham will end up in the CAA.

Pard4Life
October 25th, 2023, 07:51 PM
What does Georgetown do much better this season than in recent years?

DFW HOYA
October 25th, 2023, 08:23 PM
What does Georgetown do much better this season than in recent years?

1. Rushing is up (174.0 per game vs. 81.9 in 2022).
2. Time of possession is up, a reflection of more rushing (33:52 vs. 30:04)
3. Slightly better on third down conversion (42.3% vs. 40.0%)

Special teams are struggling, esp. punt returns and kicking.

The Boogie Down
October 25th, 2023, 08:59 PM
....JACKSONVILLE STATE/SAM HOUSTON........ARE STUFFIN' DEY'RE POCKETS.....WHIFF TV DUCATS......PLAYIN' IN MIDDLE UH WEEK....TA SOMEDAY BE ON ...SATURDAYS.........THERE'S UH COMMUNITY COLLEGE IN DELAWARE....GOLDEY BEACOM.......WHOM...BUILT DEY'RE KINGDOM.....ON DUH BACKS UH VETERANS/GI BILL.....LATE 60'S/EARLY 70'S.......AH KNOW.....AH WAS ONE UH THEM........THE MATH WAS 4TH/5TH GRADE....AN' PRETTY INSULTIN'.....BUT LOOK AT 'EM TA-DAY..........GOTTAH START SOMEWHERE.........DOODLE-DOO!

Thank you for your service, sir!

Go...gate
October 26th, 2023, 12:30 AM
1. Rushing is up (174.0 per game vs. 81.9 in 2022).
2. Time of possession is up, a reflection of more rushing (33:52 vs. 30:04)
3. Slightly better on third down conversion (42.3% vs. 40.0%)

Special teams are struggling, esp. punt returns and kicking.

GU looked very solid last Saturday.

The Boogie Down
October 26th, 2023, 12:57 AM

I believe the CAA splits and Fordham will eventually end up on the side that includes more established programs. In my heart, and as Sader87 said in an earlier post, I don't think HC leaves but do think (unlike the Core 4), they'd give it serious consideration.

Going back to your earlier post, by "Core 4" I meant Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucky and Colgate. By "Jebbies" I meant HC, Fordham and Georgetown. The former batch of teams have all been playing each other since forever. Rutgers was in that mix until the mid-70s. They've moved on but, as I said last time, the rest should be together 'til the end of times.

It's different for the other three.

As mentioned in one of these PL threads, the HC board now comes with FBS talk. Sounds crazy. Still, it is interesting how some success can get some alumni dreaming beyond the PL. Doubt that type of internet chatter ever happened on the Colgate/Lehigh boards when they were dominating the league.

Beyond message boards, I know certain donors would already be looking for an exit if the Rams had won 4 straight PL titles the way the Crusaders have. Obviously Fordham has never experienced that type of run but if they remain respectable going forward, and a bigger option presents itself, I do see Fordham jumping.

Georgetown? In a worst case scenario they drop. In a best case they take football more seriously and use their many advantages to dominate the PL. Either way, do they really fit in w/the rural, smaller, liberal arts colleges?

Spot on. The CAA has done a tremendous job over the last 20 years replacing departures of key members. Unfortunately, as A-10 and G5 conference expansion continues to affect it's ranks, they're running out of suitable warm bodies to fill holes. The CAA has done a great job grabbing programs and institutions on the up and up. First, in 2001, there was a deal that fell through that would've brought Furman, Davidson and The Citadel to the league. This development blew up when Richmond bolted for the A-10. In response, the CAA brought in for all sports Delaware, Towson, Drexel, Northeastern and Hofstra, raiding the A-East. Then, in 2005, they brought in Georgia State, who used the league as a springboard to FBS despite winning 1 football game in 2 years IIRC. In 2013, the league combatted the losses of George Mason, VCU and Old Dominion by bringing in Elon and College of Charleston. On the football side, the program shutdowns at Northeastern and Hofstra + the UMASS FBS move were backfilled nicely with Albany and Stony Brook who joined as football associates only at the time. The long-awaited goodbye from JMU was answered with a robust round of expansion in 2021, with Monmouth, SBU, Hampton, NC A&T and Campbell joining the ranks. The most recent addition, of Bryant as a football-only affiliate, seems unneeded on the surface given the massive size of the football conference. However, I believe this is a pre-emptive dress rehearsal as the CAA will look to add Bryant as a full member when either Delaware or College of Charleston leave.

I think after they ultimately add Bryant, raiding A-East once again, the CAA will have to look in the mirror and realize they're running out of warm bodies to replace departing key members. The next round of candidates? I give you Howard, Morgan State and Queens University. Fairfield would be a nice add but the Stags were rumored in last round and it never materialized. The America East schools would be smart, IMO, to try and spearhead a football league. They could prevent Bryant from ultimately leaving them for the CAA (which will happen) and even make the MAAC careers of Merrimack and SHU short-lived by adding them to the fold. Maybe even Holy Cross?

Thank you for the props and especially for the history lesson. I had no idea Davidson (which for Davidson standards was actually pretty decent in 2000/2001) was ever close to joining the CAA. Ditto for Furman and the Citadel. I do know Fordham was showing some CAA interest when they proposed bringing scholarships to PL football in around 2008/2009, but eventually that all worked itself out.

My only point of contention is I don't think the CAA has been adding "warm bodies" of late. In fact, personally I feel as if those cold stiffs have somehow made the PL look lively by comparison. Is there any symmetry at all between institutions like Albany, NC A&T and Campbell? Do they bring any rivalries or share in similar football histories? Obviously the answer is "no" and that's why, as more of these randos get thrown together (Et tu, Bryant?), I see an eventual split happening.

Personally I hope any pending CAA divorce gets the A-10 back in the gridiron biz. W&M (unlike any of the New CAA squads) would be a welcomed addition. So would Holy Cross even if, like I said earlier, in the end I think HC sticks it out w/their PL and Ivy ties. For now however I'll take your "maybe" and appreciate the CAA timeline xthumbsupx

Pards Rule
October 26th, 2023, 06:05 AM
GU looked very solid last Saturday.

Gate, Im NOT looking past them my friend. I am going...my first time at Georgetown!

NY Crusader 2010
October 26th, 2023, 06:07 AM
When it comes to A-10 Football, unfortunately, I don't see much bravado behind that idea, outside of the fan bases of Fordham and Duquesne. Maybe Holy Cross too, if it got us into the A-10 hoops league of course.

NY Crusader 2010
October 26th, 2023, 08:15 AM

Neither will go to the CAA. But like Boogie Down said, there's a good chance of some kind of split happening in the CAA particularly when it comes to football. I've thought more recently that A-East Football is starting to make more and more sense...and would benefit the A-East in all sports. Case in point, if the CAA invites Bryant for all sports, they are GONE. So if I'm UNH, Maine or Albany, I'm really thinking about considering spearheading the formation of this league. Of course, Albany may still be thinking of going CAA in all sports as Sitting Bull pointed out....almost weird that it HASN'T happened yet.

Anyway, if I'm an America East member, I'm looking to get the ball rolling on football and using it to keep Bryant in the league long-term and invite Sacred Heart and Merrimack, swiping them from the MAAC. Then I'm going after Holy Cross as an all-sports member, and dangling the Hockey East carrot as a potential benefit of hopping on board (same with SHU). Then I'm grabbing URI as an associate football member and looking to snag Fordham as well.

MR. CHICKEN
October 26th, 2023, 09:18 AM
And this year SHSU is a mere 1-6, helmed by onetime frosh Pard QB Keegan Shoemaker who portaled during Covid. At one point about a decade ago I heard Lafayette and Jax State were negotiating a home and home?

.....NO....DEY'RE....UH MERE 0-8......WHIFF 5-6....ALL-MOSTERS.......AWQ!

IslandPard
October 26th, 2023, 01:17 PM
I'm superstitious so will keep up with the pick 'em... but not enough to pick Gtown over Lafayette.

Lafayette over Gtown. They're always a problem for us but I don't think it will be close. Am I reading correctly that LC offense averages 155 ypg vs Gtown's 395 ypg? Hopefully our 'D' has their heads screwed on this week.
Colgate over Bucknell
Cross over Fordham

DFW HOYA
October 26th, 2023, 01:26 PM
I'm superstitious so will keep up with the pick 'em... but not enough to pick Gtown over Lafayette.

Lafayette over Gtown. They're always a problem for us but I don't think it will be close. Am I reading correctly that LC offense averages 155 ypg vs Gtown's 395 ypg?

Total Offense: LC 360.1, GU 394.6
Total Defense: LC 336.4, GU 294.6
Turnover Margin: LC +1, GU -3

IslandPard
October 26th, 2023, 01:57 PM

I knew something was up. There's a typo in the LC notes. A shortcut would have been to do the math above it. :)

Pard4Life
October 26th, 2023, 09:17 PM

This feels odd... we surrender passing yards, but not rushing yards, except last week it was flipped and we got burned on the ground. Thought we were better but am probably thinking solely of our run stuffing efforts. Holding Princeton to nothing is more amazing considering they beat Harvard.

DFW HOYA
October 26th, 2023, 09:31 PM
This feels odd... we surrender passing yards, but not rushing yards, except last week it was flipped and we got burned on the ground. Thought we were better but am probably thinking solely of our run stuffing efforts. Holding Princeton to nothing is more amazing considering they beat Harvard.

Take out the 515 yards vs. Duke and LC is at 306.6 yards allowed, and HC was a big part of that. Other than that, it's been very good.

Leopard Loyalist
October 26th, 2023, 09:32 PM
Lafayette 31 Georgetown 14
Holy Cross 42 Fordham 28
Colgate 24 Bucknell 10

Go...gate
October 26th, 2023, 11:01 PM
Lafayette 28, Georgetown 23

Fordham 37, Holy Cross 35

Colgate 20, Bucknell 17

Bonus pick: Princeton 24, Cornell 21

Colgate TD
October 27th, 2023, 10:19 AM
G'town 28, Lafayette 17
Holy Cross 17, Fordham 12
Colgate 26, Bucknell 13

Bonus pick: Cornell 23, Princeton 14

Pards Rule
October 27th, 2023, 01:15 PM
What did we finish with in Yards Allowed vs Princeton? I guess with sacks negative?

gravalico
October 27th, 2023, 02:10 PM
This feels odd... we surrender passing yards, but not rushing yards, except last week it was flipped and we got burned on the ground. Thought we were better but am probably thinking solely of our run stuffing efforts. Holding Princeton to nothing is more amazing considering they beat Harvard.Yeah but if Sluka doesn't play we absolutely stifle them all around. I recognize that's a little like saying if we didn't make any bad plays we would have been perfect but I think we can all recognize Sluka is a significant outlier.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 27th, 2023, 02:15 PM
Lafayette 27 Georgetown 17
Colgate 30 Bucknell 13
Holy Cross 52 Fordham 41

Sader87
October 27th, 2023, 05:09 PM
G'town 28, Lafayette 17
Holy Cross 17, Fordham 12
Colgate 26, Bucknell 13

Bonus pick: Cornell 23, Princeton 14

That will probably be the end of the 1st Q score in the HC game xdrunkyx

pardfan
October 28th, 2023, 07:03 AM
Recently, Lafayette:
1) 4th and five at the Princeton 15, around a minute before halftime, LC down 9-3, score a touchdown and ultimately win game.
2) 4th and seven at the HC 10, 12 minutes left in third quarter, LC up 31-21, go for it, unsuccessful.
Big Picture...Maybe, that's how programs get turned around. You are telling the players, "Hey, we can do this." The last LC touchdown in the Holy Cross game may have been a by-product of that approach. (At the HC 10, I'm kicking the field goal every time. But that's just me.)

caribbeanhen
October 28th, 2023, 10:24 AM
Recently, Lafayette:
1) 4th and five at the Princeton 15, around a minute before halftime, LC down 9-3, score a touchdown and ultimately win game.
2) 4th and seven at the HC 10, 12 minutes left in third quarter, LC up 31-21, go for it, unsuccessful.
Big Picture...Maybe, that's how programs get turned around. You are telling the players, "Hey, we can do this." The last LC touchdown in the Holy Cross game may have been a by-product of that approach. (At the HC 10, I'm kicking the field goal every time. But that's just me.)

this makes sense to me

The Boogie Down
October 28th, 2023, 10:33 AM
When it comes to A-10 Football, unfortunately, I don't see much bravado behind that idea, outside of the fan bases of Fordham and Duquesne. Maybe Holy Cross too, if it got us into the A-10 hoops league of course.

I think if the A-10 decided to invite the College of the Holy Cross into the mix instead of the College of Charleston, an A-10 football conference will not only become a desire but a necessity. Especially if the PL reacted by not allowing HC to stay in the league for football. Or Fordham for that matter. (Similar scenario would hold true if the A-10 invited William & Mary and the CAA decided against the Tribe staying on for football).

But there are many future threads for speculation... As for today, good luck. Just not too much of it :D

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 11:39 AM
My view today:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231028/f89e2c98daf10cab88486398d7e211f0.jpg

Lots of Lafayette fans here today, probably about half the crowd. The Georgetown staff actually said “Lafayette fans, Sections 5-9” when I entered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 11:40 AM
Lafayette takes advantage of an out of bounds opening kickoff by Georgetown and scores an opening touchdown, set up by a 40+ yard pass on 3rd and 14.

Lafayette 7
Georgetown 0

Q1 13:06

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 11:43 AM
Non-game comment - with all the money that goes to Georgetown, you’d think they could have more than one concession stand with 4 people working in it (or run out of water and diet soda before the game starts).

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2023, 11:47 AM
My view today:
Lots of Lafayette fans here today, probably about half the crowd. The Georgetown staff actually said “Lafayette fans, Sections 5-9” when I entered.

The fan base has been burned out, esp. students. Less than 1,000 showed up for the basketball scrimmage last night.

Non-game comment - with all the money that goes to Georgetown, you’d think they could have more than one concession stand with 4 people working in it (or run out of water and diet soda before the game starts).

That's one more actual concession stand then they've had since 1979. But this is also a school with a pay phone adjacent to the gymnasium.

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 11:54 AM
Lafayette misses a 43 yard FG attempt. A Georgetown sack when the Leopards were inside the GU 20 yard snuffed out the drive.

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 12:01 PM
Lafayette stops Georgetown on 4th and 1 at the GU 49 yard line. The Leopards start a possession at the 50 yard or closer for the 3rd straight time.

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2023, 12:01 PM
The evidence of what happens in Week 10 when you can't recruit.

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 12:04 PM
Lafayette puts together a quick drive for a touchdown, the big play being screen pass catch and run.

Lafayette 14
Georgetown 0

Q1 4:14

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2023, 12:13 PM
Fordham 7 Holy Cross 7 10:47 1Q

Sluka out for HC?

MUHAWKS
October 28th, 2023, 12:29 PM
where the F is sluka i bet HC-- bastards

RichH2
October 28th, 2023, 12:33 PM
Didn't hear any reason for Sluka on SNY coverage of game.
14-7 Holy Cross

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 12:36 PM
Georgetown gets on the board with a nearly 50 yard catch and run.

Lafayette 14
Georgetown 7

Q2 11:24

RichH2
October 28th, 2023, 12:38 PM
where the F is sluka i bet HC-- bastards

Apparently something happened during warm ups. Coach decided to sit him.

pardfan
October 28th, 2023, 12:40 PM
LC these 28 yard punts ugh

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 12:41 PM
On the first play after the Georgetown post-touchdown kickoff, Lafayette strikes with a 71 yard touchdown run.

Lafayette 21
Georgetown 7

Q2 11:05

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 12:55 PM
Georgetown takes advantage of a roughing the punter penalty after being forced 3 and out deep in their own territory, and then puts together a nice drive down inside the Lafayette 10 yard line. The Hoyas decide to kick a FG on 4th and 2 at the 4 yard line.

Lafayette 21
Georgetown 10

Q2 4:43

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2023, 12:56 PM
Fordham with another long TD run! HC's defense is really struggling. Way more issues than just a leaky secondary.

Fordham 20 Holy Cross 14 13:00 2Q

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 12:57 PM
Did not agree with Georgetown’s decision to kick a field goal at 4th and 2 at the LC 4 yard line. You’re down 14 points against a good team; you need to score touchdowns IMO.

crusader11
October 28th, 2023, 01:04 PM

Where’d you hear that?

Franks Tanks
October 28th, 2023, 01:09 PM
Despite the 21-10 score, Lafayette is not playing particularly well, but Georgetown isn’t getting much on the ground, and I expect our ground game to take over in the 2nd half.

Curtis has been out the last few series for some reason. He didn’t appear hurt whatsoever???

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2023, 01:20 PM
Did not agree with Georgetown’s decision to kick a field goal at 4th and 2 at the LC 4 yard line. You’re down 14 points against a good team; you need to score touchdowns IMO.

Georgetown has no offensive line. If only it could recruit....

Franks Tanks
October 28th, 2023, 01:32 PM
What’s going on in Hamilton? Bucknell has 34 points and over 400 yards at halftime!

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 01:52 PM
Lafayette gets a roughly 50 yard INT return for a touchdown on Georgetown’s first possession of the 2nd half.

Lafayette 28
Georgetown 10

Q3 13:03

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 01:58 PM
Georgetown quickly responds with an 81 yard catch and run for a touchdown. They go for 2 points but are stuffed.

Lafayette 28
Georgetown 16

Q3 12:16

Big plays remain the story of this game.

pardfan
October 28th, 2023, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the updates and insights

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 02:13 PM
Georgetown puts together a solid drive after forcing a 3 and out by Lafayette. The Hoyas kick a 36 yard FG.

Lafayette 28
Georgetown 19

Q3 5:11

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 02:16 PM
Georgetown’s defense has mostly done a good job against the Lafayette running game.

The Hoyas just intercepted a pass at LC 35 yard line (terrible, terrible pass by the QB); they take over on the Leopards 33 yard line.

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 02:20 PM
The Georgetown threat is snuffed out by a Lafayette INT inside the LC 10 yard line.

The Hoyas have had the ball for almost all of the first 13 minutes of the 3rd quarter but have only outscored the Leopards 9-7 in the stanza.

RichH2
October 28th, 2023, 02:29 PM
Where’d you hear that?

The TV announcers. There has been no official one. Coach did day it wasn't discipline issue.

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2023, 02:30 PM
The Georgetown threat is snuffed out by a Lafayette INT inside the LC 10 yard line.

The Hoyas have had the ball for almost all of the first 13 minutes of the 3rd quarter but have only outscored the Leopards 9-7 in the stanza.

It's the talent gap.

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 02:32 PM
Lafayette scores on a 27 yard TD pass, coming after some of the best sustained running LC has had all day and a couple of bad penalties by Georgetown.

Lafayette 35
Georgetown 19

Q4 13:06

BNiche
October 28th, 2023, 02:46 PM
Having little expectation about Fordham, I gotta say - playing Holy Cross is a legit highlight every PL season. Another great one here.

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 02:50 PM
After putting together a long drive from their own 15 yard line, Georgetown is denied on four tries from the Lafayette 7 yard line.

This game isn’t over, but the fat lady has been spotted.

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 02:55 PM
Lafayette does get one 1st down and kills some clock, but Georgetown gets the ball back after the punt at the LC 49 yard line with 4:17 left. The Hoyas still have 2 timeouts.

On the first play, GU completes a really nice pass down to the 8 yard line. It was a great catch by the receiver diving out.

RichH2
October 28th, 2023, 02:59 PM
Fascinating day in the PL. Every game a pot boiler. Seems PL may finally waking up.

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 03:00 PM
Georgetown scores on a 4th and 8 touchdown pass. However, the Hoyas fail to convert on the 2 point conversion pass completion.

Lafayette 35
Georgetown 25

Q4 2:10

Georgetown still has two timeouts.

CHIP72
October 28th, 2023, 03:11 PM
Lafayette gets a sack/fumble/recovery on Georgetown’s first play after the punt, and that will do it. The Leopards win 35-25.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2023, 03:15 PM
TD HC!

HC 49 Fordham 41 5:00 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2023, 03:20 PM
Fordham is at the HC 10 with about a minute left!

pardfan
October 28th, 2023, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the updates Chip 72 et al. Feel a little verklempt. These final three games will require maximum effort and tons of luck.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2023, 03:26 PM
TD Rams but they failed on the 2 pt conversion. It will come down the onside kick as there is 54 seconds left and Fordham can only stop the clock twice...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2023, 03:27 PM
HC recovers! Looks like they'll survive Fordham yet again!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2023, 03:32 PM
Not sure this was posted....

Bucknell 49 Colgate 34 Final

Wow! How in the world did the Bison score 49 points?!?!

crusader11
October 28th, 2023, 04:28 PM
Shocked HC won.

Chesney absolutely owns Conlin.

BNiche
October 28th, 2023, 04:42 PM
Shocked HC won.

Chesney absolutely owns Conlin.

Absolutely. Probably the worst performance Fordham had in a Conlin-led game, considering what HC had going on.

Hoping the best for Skula.

Go...gate
October 28th, 2023, 04:58 PM
Rough day for the Colgate defense.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2023, 05:40 PM
Rough day for the Colgate defense.

What is the general sentiment as to where Stan stands as the calendar turns to November next week? Is he coaching for his job?

Go...gate
October 28th, 2023, 06:37 PM
What is the general sentiment as to where Stan stands as the calendar turns to November next week? Is he coaching for his job?

He was quoted today as follows: "We were not ready and we were not prepared and that all starts with me."

I believe he stays.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2023, 07:43 PM
He was quoted today as follows: "We were not ready and we were not prepared and that all starts with me."

I believe he stays.

There's not having your team ready and prepared because you're not a very good head coach. Then there's circumstances where good coaches have teams who are properly preconditioned to rise up in a week when the staff has an "off week". These coaches/teams might not always win but at least go down swinging and/or have a track record of success when things go sideways. Bucknell's offense, which is awful, put forth a near historic effort today in Hamilton. Colgate really needs to dig down deep to figure what they have with Stan. Fred Dunlap can't be called upon to "rally the troops" every few weeks....

Andy Reid is the king of the "I didn't have my team ready to play toady, I need to do a better job" line He always shoulders the burden of blame KNOWING the culture that exists to overcome in the long run.

Franks Tanks
October 28th, 2023, 08:03 PM
There's not having your team ready and prepared because you're not a very good head coach. Then there's circumstances where good coaches have teams who are properly preconditioned to rise up in a week when the staff has an "off week". These coaches/teams might not always win but at least go down swinging and/or have a track record of success when things go sideways. Bucknell's offense, which is awful, put forth a near historic effort today in Hamilton. Colgate really needs to dig down deep to figure what they have with Stan. Fred Dunlap can't be called upon to "rally the troops" every few weeks....

Andy Reid is the king of the "I didn't have my team ready to play toady, I need to do a better job" line He always shoulders the burden of blame KNOWING the culture that exists to overcome in the long run.

This is a tough one. Full disclosure, I’ve known Stan since he was a child. You’d be hard pressed to find a better person with a better moral compass, and I’m rooting for him. But, this is big boy D1 scholarship football, and he has not met expectations. I think he gets one more year from the admin. I think they want him to succeed as he’s a great representative of the university, but Colgate has high expectations for the program, as they should. If he’s doesn’t show measurable progress next year, he’ll be let go reluctantly.

Bogus Megapardus
October 28th, 2023, 09:03 PM
What a day. Congrats to Holy Cross (They Coulda Been) and Bucknell (The Annoying Orange). Big wow to Hoya QB Danny Lauter and that dude he kept chucking to ball to, WR Jimmy Kibble, who were splendidly fun to watch in the FiOS Game today.

Though the PL remains forever an FCS enigma, we sure do like to beat the p*ss out of one another. Cur Non?

ngineer
October 28th, 2023, 11:49 PM
I was out today and not able to catch any games; but was stunned at the reporting on here that I just scrolled. Thanks all!
I am still not clear on Sluka’s absence. Anyone know?
The Lafayette result was expected, but not the how. Surprised over the number of big plays. Turnovers huge.
Appears Bucknell had a new QB who we missed last week. Is he the transfer we heard of?
Cold front approaching, could make next Saturday interesting!

NY Crusader 2010
October 29th, 2023, 05:30 AM

I believe he was banged up from the prior game against Lafayette. If you watched the Holy Cross offense today, it was pretty clear we were preparing all week to play without Matt. Great job by team and staff not leaking this to the public.

Southsider
October 29th, 2023, 07:43 AM
I was out today and not able to catch any games; but was stunned at the reporting on here that I just scrolled. Thanks all!
I am still not clear on Sluka’s absence. Anyone know?
The Lafayette result was expected, but not the how. Surprised over the number of big plays. Turnovers huge.
Appears Bucknell had a new QB who we missed last week. Is he the transfer we heard of?
Cold front approaching, could make next Saturday interesting!

Yes. I saw him opening day against JMU. Very tough kid. Looks like a real leader. IIRC he transferred from Oklahoma.

Pards Rule
October 30th, 2023, 06:05 AM
I had a great time at Georgetown, my first time there. Chip did you see me waving the leopard? I went with a friend class of 1983 who lives in Columbia. He took a picture of me and Trox with the leopard after the game. I was seated at far end with famiky members of a player and one close and very vocal friend of the player. Security just as game got underway said he was close to being tossed. Apparently I heard from players younger brother BEFORE game started the dude was heckling Gtown bench and the Gtown HC told securoty he wanted him kicked out. Anyways he did calm down (mostly) but toward the end of the game something occured I never have seen before in my 43 years of watching college football. This guy and another players parent got into a shouting match that got very heated with a Grown asst coach. The assistant told the dad a number of times he would meet him at the gate after the game! Did anyone else see that like 5 minute exchange?

DFW HOYA
October 30th, 2023, 09:47 AM
Was the "family members of a player and one close and very vocal friend of the player" from Lafayette or Georgetown?

FWIW, I have seen this before.

Pards Rule
November 4th, 2023, 07:35 AM
Was the "family members of a player and one close and very vocal friend of the player" from Lafayette or Georgetown?

FWIW, I have seen this before.

Both Lafayette and both toward the end of the visiting section