PDA

View Full Version : Did I hear Hightower is a game time decision?

GoBlackAndGold
December 7th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I just heard on the radio Tim Hightower is a game time decision. I have not heard he was hurt. That will be a huge factor.

Blue Hen Nation
December 7th, 2007, 10:22 AM
That's news ro me. xconfusedx

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Me too, I hate that. I would hope both teams are at 100% and able to compete at their highest levels.

devilhen
December 7th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I just heard on the radio Tim Hightower is a game time decision. I have not heard he was hurt. That will be a huge factor.

That would be unfortunate, if true. However, the other Richmond RB's are very good. I was particularly impressed with Josh Vaughan. Saw him in person vs. Delaware & he was very good.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Disappointing but not shocking. He went down last week and had been banged up since the UD game. He went back in the game last week but even that surprised me. Vaughn is a load too, but now the depth is razor thin. UR may not make it to the finish line due to attrition.

biggie
December 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Also probably the ol gamesmanship of trying to get the other team to think about something else could be in play.

GoBlackAndGold
December 7th, 2007, 10:49 AM
They said on the radio (SportsTalk 1200) that Hightower did not go through the workout yesterday.

The Moody1
December 7th, 2007, 10:51 AM

I watched the Wofford game on TV and the way he was hobbling around pretty bad. It doesn't surprise me that he MAY not be ready to go.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I watched the Wofford game on TV and the way he was hobbling around pretty bad. It doesn't surprise me that he MAY not be ready to go.

I honestly wondered why they put him back in, unless Vaughn shook their faith with the fumble. But it would seem somewhat illogical to put TH at risk over lack of confidence in Vaughn, they certainly gave him the ball enough throughout the year in big situations.

Black and Gold Express
December 7th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Me too, I hate that. I would hope both teams are at 100% and able to compete at their highest levels.

Hightower being less than 100% or not playing is a positive for ASU. I don't buy into that "we should beat them at their best". The goal is to win, and if their star player is hurt, that helps us achieve that.

I felt this way when I played competitive sports, and I feel that way as a fan now. Injuries are a part of the game.

This win would no less valid or meaningful for ASU withoth Hightower than it would with it. I'm sure UR has a capable backup. They wouldn't have made it this far without one.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Hightower being less than 100% or not playing is a positive for ASU. I don't buy into that "we should beat them at their best". The goal is to win, and if their star player is hurt, that helps us achieve that.

I felt this way when I played competitive sports, and I feel that way as a fan now. Injuries are a part of the game.

This win would no less valid or meaningful for ASU withoth Hightower than it would with it. I'm sure UR has a capable backup. They wouldn't have made it this far without one.

FYI, believe it or not, there are plenty of UR faithful that would have preferred Josh Vaughn get more carries over the last month or so. He scored both game-winning TDs against Delaware from over 10 yards out, and had a 40 yarder against EKU. Your post sounds a tiny bit like you are trying to prevent someone taking anything away from ASU if/when they win, Vaughn and his fresher legs getting more carries could be a "be careful what you wish for" type thing for ASU. Now that said, I obviously hope TH plays, the big issue now is that the next guy in line if Vaughn gets hurt is, I belive Justin Forte, who is more of a small, change of pace type guy.

ChickenMan
December 7th, 2007, 11:08 AM

UR has a 'very' capable backup.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks, CM. My only concern with Vaughn is the fumbles. But it could be just that, next to Hightower, anyone looks like a Tiki Barber-esque fumbler.

Mike G.
December 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Dont read too much into skipping practice. They probably just want him ready. With the season on the line, if he can stand, he'll play

bamamountaineer1013
December 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM
He scored both game-winning TDs against Delaware from over 10 yards out, and had a 40 yarder against EKU.

How do you score two game winning TDs??

LacesOut
December 7th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Like someone else posted, he has been limping around since the UD game. I remember him coming to the sidelines in that game because of a turned/twisted ankle (I think it was an ankle).

And also like others have posted, their 2nd RB ain't too shabby.

LacesOut
December 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM

It was a five OT game. So either of his TD's would have been game winning ones.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Just trust me. Delaware fans will get it....

bench
December 7th, 2007, 11:16 AM
When App's defensive alignment and intensity isn't right, it doesn't matter who's carrying the ball. We've made some average backs look like stars, and stars like gods. The intensity will be there tonight, no doubt. Let's hope the scheme is capable of containing either one of them.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM

You mean that Flacco didn't hike the ball with 0.1 seconds left? xlolx

Bettina90
December 7th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Close "Laces" but not quite. Vaughn scored on a 30 or so yard run to put the Spiders up by 7 with about 10 to play. Had UD's last second dive into the EZ not been granted, Richmond would have won the game right there and Vaughn would have scored the game-winning TD. It was however, so Vaughn scored on a 13 yd run in the 5th that WAS the eventual game-winner.

But I was kidding and it's water under the bridge.

Go Spiders, Go Hens.

bamamountaineer1013
December 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Ok so I still don't understand... Game winning seems like a pretty final thing.

Edit: So the post that is above me now, wasn't there when I replied, but now I understand the joke, and thank you for your clarification.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Ok so I still don't understand... Game winning seems like a pretty final thing.

Wow. It was a JOKE. As in xlolx xlolx xlolx .

As in Funny HaHa.

DTSpider
December 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Granted I didn't hear the radio broadcast, but I'm 99% certain that it said that "Stephen Howell" is a game time decision. Clawson stated as such on Monday during the CAA teleconference.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM

I didn't say it would be meaningless to beat a wounded team. I didn't say we should beat them at their best. I just said I wanted both teams to be at 100% for themselves, and because I'd like to see him play--he was a Payton candidate. Of course it is beneficial for their star to be hurt.

LacesOut
December 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Close "Laces" but not quite. Vaughn scored on a 30 or so yard run to put the Spiders up by 7 with about 10 to play.

Ahhh, that's right, I forgot about that TD.

Well FWIW, I'm a UD fan/alum, I was at that game, and in my worth-absolutley-nothing-opinion, da Spidah's won that game 38-31.

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Close "Laces" but not quite. Vaughn scored on a 30 or so yard run to put the Spiders up by 7 with about 10 to play. Had UD's last second dive into the EZ not been granted, Richmond would have won the game right there and Vaughn would have scored the game-winning TD. It was however, so Vaughn scored on a 13 yd run in the 5th that WAS the eventual game-winner.

Go Spiders, Go Hens.

I think Delaware fans will dispute that this is your true feelings on the subject. xcoffeex xcoffeex

(BTW, how come when I type in xmainejeffx the coffee picture comes upxconfusedx xconfusedx )

URMite
December 7th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I'm pretty sure, it was Hightower's knee at UD. Inadvertent hit to the outside of the knee by a UD tackler. It was tweeked again last saturday, but he returned 3 plays later. Even though he has still played well, Hightower seem to have lost his breakaway speed in the open field since that hit at UD.

Vaughn is big but has a little less tackle breaking ability than Hightower. However he is usually more likely to make a tackler miss. He does seem more prone to fumble, particularly at inopportune times.

Forte is smaller 5'9" 180 but is also quicker than either of the others. He is well rested but not sure how well prepared he is since he hasn't seen much action since Northeastern/Bucknell.

Given what ASU says a bout their D, maybe one of the 2 backups would be a better matchup anyway. Except for our team finding it out at the last minute.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing a gameplan like we had against W&M. Hightower/Vaughn alternating series for the 1st 3 qtrs then pick who has done the best for the 4th. (Hightower was hurt that day and Vaughn got 2/3 the carries)

2 years ago, I thought this trio would be like the one they had at JMU a couple years ago but it hasn't been as balanced.

Howell is the glue between the secondary and the LBs.

ViennaSpider
December 7th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Hightower is the man. But the truth is that I’ve mistaken Vaughn for Hightower on a number of running plays this season. Maybe it’s the similarity of their numbers and/or my failing eye sight: 32 vs. 22. Go Spiders!

Spider
December 7th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I would be very surprised if Tim doesn't go. I would expect him to play and play well......GO SPIDAHS.....BEAT APPY.....

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2007, 01:26 PM
This sounds strangely familiary to another team's star player that was a "game time" decision before they played App in a playoff game...

Hmmmm....

MacThor
December 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM
The UR trainers would have to lock Tim in the visitors' locker room to keep him off the field tonight.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM
This sounds strangely familiary to another team's star player that was a "game time" decision before they played App in a playoff game...

Hmmmm....

Hopefully it turns out the same way.

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Hopefully it turns out the same way.

We'll see...

It was obvious that Landers wasn't as banged up as people (Mickey Matthews) said he was, plus I don't think Moore bought it for a second.

If this is the same kind of deal, I'm sure that Coach Moore will be preaching the same thing to his players.

ASUMountaineer
December 7th, 2007, 01:41 PM
We'll see...

It was obvious that Landers wasn't as banged up as people (Mickey Matthews) said he was, plus I don't think Moore bought it for a second.

If this is the same kind of deal, I'm sure that Coach Moore will be preaching the same thing to his players.

Absolutely.

GoBlackAndGold
December 7th, 2007, 01:53 PM
It would not change the game plan anyway. ASUs D-line will need to heck of a game whether Hightower is in or out.

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM
It would not change the game plan anyway. ASUs D-line will need to heck of a game whether Hightower is in or out.

The purpose of the ploy is not to change the game plan, it's to get into the heads of the D, particularly the D-line.

But I think Coach Moore has been around enough to know that he's got to get in the D's ear about it all week.

I don't think Mickey's attempt worked. I think Landers has a great game even without the "injury" talk. Same will probably happen this week (Hightower will probably have a pretty good game, but it won't be for lack of Moore smacking the D-line around).

DTSpider
December 7th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I am pretty certain that it in no scheme. Hightower will go tonight. He's been hurt for several weeks, but hasn't missed any time. Howell is the game time decision, and could have a huge impact on the gameplan. There's no tricks here, just one person's initial statement and a whole lot of guessing.

Then again, we're all gametime decisions.

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I am pretty certain that it in no scheme. Hightower will go tonight. He's been hurt for several weeks, but hasn't missed any time. Howell is the game time decision, and could have a huge impact on the gameplan. There's no tricks here, just one person's initial statement and a whole lot of guessing.

Then again, we're all gametime decisions.

One of my favorite SportsCenter quotes...

"He's listed at day to day, but then again...aren't we all."

Maybe a close second to Kenny Mayne's:

"That gives him 30 home runs...not in one game, that'd be some kind of record or something."

State Line Liquors
December 7th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Go Spiders, Go Hens.

It's water under the bridge whenever you guys say it is. Continue that talk please!!! Spiders fans have been talking alot of mess about their conference brethren on the other side of the bracket. Let's not forget about tiny Tim's game losing fumble last year in your always empty stadium that lost the game for you guys against UD last year.

The 'we have 3500 undergrads' nonsense has run the course too as far as fan attendance goes. UD and App St have much more than just alumni and students attending the games. Their communities actually support them. You live in the Richmond, VA and can't draw more than a high school wrestling match. Hopefully you guys get your own stadium soon provided that the city approves it. The 15 or 16 cars that would be leaving the stadium could cause huge traffic issues in the surrounding neighborhoods. Win tonight, we win tomorrow, then worry about going '3-0' against us as your fairytale would have it.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Hmmmm....

However, tonight's "Star Player" will be LB Eric McBride. And he's healthy as a horse...

Bettina90
December 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM
It's water under the bridge whenever you guys say it is. Continue that talk please!!! Spiders fans have been talking alot of mess about their conference brethren on the other side of the bracket. Let's not forget about tiny Tim's game losing fumble last year in your always empty stadium that lost the game for you guys against UD last year.

The 'we have 3500 undergrads' nonsense has run the course too as far as fan attendance goes. UD and App St have much more than just alumni and students attending the games. Their communities actually support them. You live in the Richmond, VA and can't draw more than a high school wrestling match. Hopefully you guys get your own stadium soon provided that the city approves it. The 15 or 16 cars that would be leaving the stadium could cause huge traffic issues in the surrounding neighborhoods. Win tonight, we win tomorrow, then worry about going '3-0' against us as your fairytale would have it.

Um. Okay, whatever. It was Vaughn that fumbled.

Go Hens.

State Line Liquors
December 7th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Um. Okay, whatever. It was Vaughn that fumbled.

Go Hens.

My selective memory. Both fumbled and lost it. Vaughn's was the crucial one. Too many flask sips during that game.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Too many flask sips during that game.

Which is what got me kicked out of this year's thriller in the 3rd OT. The problem is my flask had a big "Captain Morgan" label on it.

State Line Liquors
December 7th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Which is what got me kicked out of this year's thriller in the 3rd OT. The problem is my flask had a big "Captain Morgan" label on it.

You're supposed to leave that in Catlett's Web ya know

Oldhen
December 7th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Vaughn's all that and a six pack of Heineken.

Dblue
December 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=Go Spiders, Go Hens.[/QUOTE]

And a Go Hens, Go Spiders to you too. Your game in a couple of hours, really looking forward to seeing UR's quaterback play against App. He was a big part of the victory in Newark. Good luck to the boys from Virginia.

Henny
December 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
UR seems to get it done, Tim or no Tim. Vaughn is also a great back

Now lets see if Richmond can beat the Hens three times!!!!!

ERASU2113
December 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Just an FYI:

Hightower is dressed and is showing no limp at all. Unless someone else is dressed and waering #22