PDA

View Full Version : Any estimate how many Richmond fans are coming?

ERASU2113
December 6th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I came in early to work today at the Best Western in Boone to cover for a guy who needed to run some errands before he came into work.

Anyways, between 3-5 pm. I had 10+ calls from Richmond fans, and a few walk-ins, looking for where the team is staying. They are not in Boone, they're in Banner Elk which is about 17 miles out of Boone.

I know teams usually stay outside of the town they are playing in. But it really got me wondering...How many of Spider fans are on their way/already here?

appfan2008
December 6th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I posed this question a couple of days ago and the answer I got was around a thousand which is probably about what JMU had a couple of weeks ago

pbr1893
December 6th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I spoke to ticket office and Richmond did not sell their allotment so they were just returned today. Oh well more for our fans I suppose. Changing the game time put in a wrench in everyones plans.

appfan2008
December 6th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I really hope app fans are able to snatch up all those new extra tickets... lets sell out that place!

That also probably means they wont have a thousand people

APPride
December 6th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I spoke to ticket office and Richmond did not sell their allotment so they were just returned today. Oh well more for our fans I suppose. Changing the game time put in a wrench in everyones plans.

all of section 7 just showed up on tickets website...I bet thats their allotment coming back...

AlphaSigMD
December 6th, 2007, 06:51 PM
So, we're talking maybe...7?

ERASU2113
December 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I would have figured about as many would come as JMU brought. Being as it's pretty close, I would assume people would make the trip to see their team for atleast one more game.

Edit: Guess being that it's on TV, don't want to have to spend the money for a hotel, and other factors could play into them not coming. xreadx

HiHiYikas
December 6th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Anyways, between 3-5 pm. I had 10+ calls from Richmond fans, and a few walk-ins, looking for where the team is staying. They are not in Boone, they're in Banner Elk which is about 17 miles out of Boone.

I know teams usually stay outside of the town they are playing in. But it really got me wondering...How many of Spider fans are on their way/already here?
(doing my best old-school Adam West Batman voice) Ah yes...you see, University of Richmond folk are known to gravitate towards swanky real estate to the west of town.

APPride
December 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I would have figured about as many would come as JMU brought. Being as it's pretty close, I would assume people would make the trip to see their team for atleast one more game.

Edit: Guess being that it's on TV, don't want to have to spend the money for a hotel, and other factors could play into them not coming. xreadx

you'd think they would at least wanna come and see what all the hub bub's about...oh well, I guess our kinda fun ain't their kinda fun...I sure do miss EDUB xthumbsupx ...

ERASU2113
December 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM
you'd think they would at least wanna come and see what all the hub bub's about...oh well, I guess our kinda fun ain't their kinda fun...I sure do miss EDUB xthumbsupx ...

I figured whoever had to play ASU would want to see what it's like see a game in boone rather than watch it on TV....Oh well.

You're going to be in Justice lot tomorrow? Might drop by on the way to the gamexthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

ASUMountaineer
December 6th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I figured whoever had to play ASU would want to see what it's like see a game in boone rather than watch it on TV....Oh well.

You're going to be in Justice lot tomorrow? Might drop by on the way to the gamexthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

APPride, what time are you packing up tomorrow at Justice? I'll be pulling in around 6:30ish.

Gonna try and make a pit stop by section 13 on the way to section 5A to meet the CitDog.

APPride
December 6th, 2007, 07:53 PM

yep...hope to at least get 1 APPgirl peanut butter cookie, but probably won't get there till 6 and that may be too late...

AppMan
December 6th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Not a single reply from a Richmond fan. Guess both of them are on their way to Boone.

APPride
December 6th, 2007, 07:59 PM
APPride, what time are you packing up tomorrow at Justice? I'll be pulling in around 6:30ish.

Gonna try and make a pit stop by section 13 on the way to section 5A to meet the CitDog.

we can't leave Greensboro until 3:00, puts us in at the SleepInn for check in at 5:00 then as fast as traffic will allow we'll be at Justice...I'll look 4 u & the hidden treasure keg... xsmiley_wix

APPride
December 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Not a single reply from a Richmond fan. Guess both of them are on their way to Boone.

they have an "older, more sophisticated" crowd..they would never stoop so low as to spend time in a baseless forum such as this...xrotatehx xrotatehx

ERASU2113
December 6th, 2007, 08:05 PM
we can't leave Greensboro until 3:00, puts us in at the SleepInn for check in at 5:00 then as fast as traffic will allow we'll be at Justice...I'll look 4 u & the hidden treasure keg... xsmiley_wix

The Sleep Inn? pfft. You should have called the Country Inn & Suites we have lots of rooms :D xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
December 6th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I'll bite. 500.xcoffeex

ASUMountaineer
December 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM

Sounds like a plan. Leaving Mooresville at 4:30 or 5.

APPride
December 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM
The Sleep Inn? pfft. You should have called the Country Inn & Suites we have lots of rooms :D xthumbsupx

I here ya brother...using points so it's free...xnodx xnodx xnodx

MR. CHICKEN
December 6th, 2007, 08:16 PM
DUH SPIDER FANS ARE NOT KNOWN..FO' SUPPORT...........BUT MOUSEKETEERS............DO NOT UNDER-ESTIMATE........DUH WRATH O' DUH ARACHNID!........DIS SQWAD WILL FIGHT YA'LL TA DUH DEATH.......BRAWK!

redspider
December 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Haha you guys are funny! I think that our fans arent responding because it is more fun to listen to how much smack you guys can come up with. I have not idea how many fans total are coming but I think the Friday game messed up many persons plans. As far as the students if you dont remeber our school has an enrolment of less than 3,000. But over 100 students are gonna be showing up on two buses of 55 each we will be loud and proud wearing the red and blue and loooking to knock APP State off at the Rock. Good luck to App State I think that you guys have done alot but tommorow the party will stop.

The Great thing about this is despite all of the smack at the end of the day we settle it on the field and we will see tommorow who is the best and that is all.

MR. CHICKEN
December 6th, 2007, 08:27 PM
AN' AH'M TUNIN' IN......MAH TREE IS UP........PILSNERS ARE ON ICE.......C'MON RICHMOND........DO YER CAA DUTY!

spdram
December 6th, 2007, 08:32 PM
My best quess would be about 7-800. I think there were about 1,000 in Spartanburg last week. I know about 20 that could not make a Friday night event. If I know 20 I have to believe our numbers would have more than doubled on Saturday. We may be small but we will be there and our team will know we are there to support them, that's all that really matters anyway.

BTW we expect to be in Boone about 3 tomorrow, going to the hotel and then to the tailgate. Is it yet determined which lot(s) will be opened to the "enemy"?

proasu89
December 6th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Haha you guys are funny! I think that our fans arent responding because it is more fun to listen to how much smack you guys can come up with. I have not idea how many fans total are coming but I think the Friday game messed up many persons plans. As far as the students if you dont remeber our school has an enrolment of less than 3,000. But over 100 students are gonna be showing up on two buses of 55 each we will be loud and proud wearing the red and blue and loooking to knock APP State off at the Rock. Good luck to App State I think that you guys have done alot but tommorow the party will stop.

The Great thing about this is despite all of the smack at the end of the day we settle it on the field and we will see tommorow who is the best and that is all.

xthumbsupx

APPride
December 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM
DUH SPIDER FANS ARE NOT KNOWN..FO' SUPPORT...........BUT MOUSEKETEERS............DO NOT UNDER-ESTIMATE........DUH WRATH O' DUH ARACHNID!........DIS SQWAD WILL FIGHT YA'LL TA DUH DEATH.......BRAWK!

no underestimating thats for sure...if we lose tomorrow night I could give a chickens b-hind what was said here...see below

we're just funnin' man! thank goodness us posters are not playin the darn game...If I went through this whole week w/ a furrowed brow, thinkin somehow us fan's could win this thing, then we WOULD have a problem...
xeekx xeekx xeekx

ERASU2113
December 6th, 2007, 08:38 PM
My best quess would be about 7-800. I think there were about 1,000 in Spartanburg last week. I know about 20 that could not make a Friday night event. If I know 20 I have to believe our numbers would have more than doubled on Saturday. We may be small but we will be there and our team will know we are there to support them, that's all that really matters anyway.

BTW we expect to be in Boone about 3 tomorrow, going to the hotel and then to the tailgate. Is it yet determined which lot(s) will be opened to the "enemy"?

Really any lots are free game except for Stadium and Justice which are given to Yosef Club members. Greenwood, Rivers St. Parking Deck and others around campus are really open to anyone. If you go to Raley or Greenwood, however, be prepared to listen to drunk fans. It always happens there :D. But it's what makes tailgate great.

By the way, are they doing buses for non-students as well? I thought a guy told me on the phone today a bus was briniging some Richmond fans to the area.

proasu89

The Mabel lot, the Green Valley lot, the Sugar Grove lot, and the Matney lot. They are REAL close, only 25-35 minutes topsxsmiley_wix Seriously, I would recomend the Greenwood lot or the Rivers St. parking deck top level is used quite often for tailgating. Me personally, I usually park at the First Baptist Church on King St. and walk across campus.

ERASU2113

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Bettina90
December 6th, 2007, 08:50 PM
If you ASU fans are wondering what might hold down the UR fan attendance you need only look at the Richmond board and see posts about viewing parties in Boston, NYC, and could easily add Philly and DC to the list. And ASU fans are talking about how long it will take to drive in from Greensboro or Mooresville. That's part of what holds down Richmond attendance, to say nothing about smaller school size.

ASUMountaineer
December 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM
If you ASU fans are wondering what might hold down the UR fan attendance you need only look at the Richmond board and see posts about viewing parties in Boston, NYC, and could easily add Philly and DC to the list. And ASU fans are talking about how long it will take to drive in from Greensboro or Mooresville. That's part of what holds down Richmond attendance, to say nothing about smaller school size.

I think it mostly has to do with school size. We have viewing parties all over the country too. We just have so many more alumni due to size. I hope a lot make it though, it is much more fun that way.

AppIAA
December 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM

As stated, basically all of them are open.. Raley is not open to the public tomorrow though. Since finals are going on, and you need to present an App student ID in order to get into the student part of the lot (other part is yosef club members), I find it will be hard to get a spot in there for the "enemy"

The tailgating will not start until 5, so you may not want to come to campus until then

DTSpider
December 6th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Damn Friday night game got me. I had already made plans to be there on Saturday but can't get out of work, and unfortunately, need to the job to keep the house, food & wife.

Same problem with a small school as well. It would take every person who has graduated in the last 20 years and we still wouldn't fill a 15,000 stadium. I'd guess we'll have about 500 there. We had about 1000 in Spartanburg.

ERASU2113
December 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I'd guess we'll have about 500 there. We had about 1000 in Spartanburg.

Is that because of it being a Saturday night game?

Bettina90
December 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
It would take every person who has graduated in the last 20 years and we still wouldn't fill a 15,000 stadium. I'd guess we'll have about 500 there.

Wow, that's a good way of putting it. I would actually love to be there, parents live right off of Boone Golf Course, but with a 4 month old, a wife with not much vaca coming off Maternity leave, and the 8 hours each way, it's awfully tough.

I am buying beers for Spiders in 'Nooga if it's UR/UD though.

ERASU2113
December 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Wow, that's a good way of putting it. I would actually love to be there, parents live right off of Boone Golf Course, but with a 4 month old, a wife with not much vaca coming off Maternity leave, and the 8 hours each way, it's awfully tough.

Maybe if UR/ASU play in Boone again you can make the trip then :D.

Good luck to you guys tomorrow...22 hours to kickoff xthumbsupx

HiHiYikas
December 6th, 2007, 09:50 PM

Do you get to visit Richmond for many Spider home games, Bett?

ur2k
December 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM
we should have at least 12 people there . We are all resting up tonight for our trip up the mountain tomorrow.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Do you get to visit Richmond for many Spider home games, Bett?

I do, haven't been there since the Delaware game a couple years ago, though. The one that was scheduled, not the one that was moved there due to field conditions last year or the year before. I will more than likely be there for Delaware next year. I live in Delaware and have quite a few Hens fans as friends. I can make Richmond in 3 hours though, much easier than Boone.

Bettina90
December 6th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I guess I should clarify that, I don't get down there for many, but I could. I frankly take just as much pleasure in watching from home with replay, etc. I tend to prefer to be there in person only for real "big" games, and watch at home or listen, if not available to watch, and keep my eye on other college football doin's around the Country, most notably the Michigan game.

Appdad
December 6th, 2007, 11:47 PM

Mr. Chicken, don't under estimate the reach and accuracy of the Mountaineer Long Rifle! BRAWK :) :)

URMite
December 7th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Damn Friday night game got me. I had already made plans to be there on Saturday but can't get out of work, and unfortunately, need to the job to keep the house, food & wife.

Same problem with a small school as well. It would take every person who has graduated in the last 20 years and we still wouldn't fill a 15,000 stadium. I'd guess we'll have about 500 there. We had about 1000 in Spartanburg.

And yet in the mid 80s to early 90s, 12-16k was normal for a home game and even more if we were playing a VA team. W&M was usually around 20k and having some home games against VA Tech helped the home avg as well. I saw a couple against them where it was 2 or 3 deep standing behind the visitor side. Things seemed to slowly drop off after that until 3 or 4 years ago when we started building a small but dedicated base. Now it seems we have 6-8k that are always there and another 4k who come if we are playing well or they know the opponent. (Despite the reported figures...) Away there may be 300 who go to as many road games as possible, but it takes us a strong effort to get over a 1000.

citdog
December 7th, 2007, 08:53 AM

AppGirl
December 7th, 2007, 08:56 AM
yep...hope to at least get 1 APPgirl peanut butter cookie, but probably won't get there till 6 and that may be too late...

I'll make sure I save you some! xthumbsupx

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Hey, for what its worth Richmond, despite their small enrollment, probably had the biggest visiting contigent at the Tub this year when they came up to Delaware. For a small school, they travel much better than some of the bigger schools in the CAA (save UD of course).

biggie
December 7th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Looks like All of Section 7 and 1/2 of Section 8 are back to us. Doesn't look like UR will match the JMU numbers, I'd guess 500-600.

All other reserved seat sections appear to be sold out.

Bettina90
December 7th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Hey, for what its worth Richmond, despite their small enrollment, probably had the biggest visiting contigent at the Tub this year when they came up to Delaware. For a small school, they travel much better than some of the bigger schools in the CAA (save UD of course).

Probably more central to a strong alumni base than Richmond itself, believe it or not. I was there (before getting kicked out in the 3rd OT, anyway, but that's a different story).

MacThor
December 7th, 2007, 10:57 AM
And yet in the mid 80s to early 90s, 12-16k was normal for a home game and even more if we were playing a VA team. W&M was usually around 20k and having some home games against VA Tech helped the home avg as well. I saw a couple against them where it was 2 or 3 deep standing behind the visitor side. Things seemed to slowly drop off after that until 3 or 4 years ago when we started building a small but dedicated base. Now it seems we have 6-8k that are always there and another 4k who come if we are playing well or they know the opponent. (Despite the reported figures...) Away there may be 300 who go to as many road games as possible, but it takes us a strong effort to get over a 1000.

I played there in 89-early 90s and I don't remember those crowds. Plus, we stunk.

I was pleased with the UR contingent at the Wofford game. Then again, Wofford is even smaller than Richmond! I think the number will be slightly lower because of Friday night/exams/Leland Melvin/Black & Blue Classic.

That 50-yard-line contingent from UR stadium (mostly families and alumni) will certainly be there.

APPride
December 7th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I'll make sure I save you some! xthumbsupx

ahhhhhh...a nugget of hope buried amongst the dribble...xnodx