PDA

View Full Version : ASU vs UR - another analysis

URMite
December 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM
When ASU has the ball – UR big weakness on D this year has been the mid range pass. We’ve tried to improve that starting with the UD game, by sometimes playing Safeties at LB. Against a mobile QB, we bring a lot of bodies to the LOS after the play starts but don’t over pursue. We seem to slow down but not stop running games. If AE can make good decisions, and take what is open we could be in for a long day. But he will have to be patient because we don’t give up a lot of homerun plays, but he can get his share of 10yds gains, both on the ground and in the air.

When UR has the ball – Hightower is not your typical straight ahead runner. He starts further back than most and does a great job of finding the holes. He is strong enough to break most arm tackles. Vaughn is gaining this ability but is better known for being elusive. He is also a little less secure with the ball. Ward has not become known as a star because he rarely puts up big numbers (130-180yds passing, 40-70yds rushing), but has been making great decisions this season. Normally completing 9-12 2nd or 3rd and longs each game. So his yardage is effective. Despite the criticisms he has received, his passing percentage this season is the all-time high at UR, but they may be a result of how few good passing QBs we have had.

Special Teams – Our defensive special teams are consistently good and occasionally better than that. Our offensive special teams however have the potential to be game changing. Especially KO returns, we tend to consider starting on our own 40 as a long field. Most teams see that we had 5 returns over 80yds in 2 games and started looking for a way to avoid returns, driving our numbers down.

I think turnovers will be the key and I hope we can keep up the good job in that department. Our TO margin is only ok but in the last 12 games we have had 4 fumbles, and 8 interceptions. The fumbles are very impressive considering how much we run the ball.

I expect that very likely one team will have a 3 or 4 point lead and the other team will be driving late in the game. I have been very impressed with how we haven’t folded under adversity, something that we have tended to do in the past (mostly because of a lack of depth). I’m not talking about any specific year, I have been watching for more than 25. We seem to be tested in that manner again this week as our starting DE gets named all CAA and then is lost for the season the next day.

I’ll be looking for the same benchmarks that I have all season. Who has the most punts and who can get the ball with an 11pt or more lead. If the latter happens, things could get ugly for the other team.

appfan2008
December 6th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I dont think it will get ugly for either team no matter what... both teams are so good they wont let it get away...

Houndawg
December 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM
AE is an all around athlete, I think that UR has to make AE beat them by throwing (and throwing quickly) even if they have to put another man in the box to do it.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Does UR normally run a 4-3 defense, or have they ran a 3-4 against some of the passing teams in the CAA this year with a cover 2,3? I think that is going to be the most interesting match up in this game. That Hightower is such an impressive runner as far as power goes that I think he will present some problems for ASU when they start keying on him and give up some big pass plays. ASU's D did look real good last weekend though.

ERASU2113
December 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
It's going to be a close game with it not being decided until the last minute or so of the game.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 6th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Does UR normally run a 4-3 defense, or have they ran a 3-4 against some of the passing teams in the CAA this year with a cover 2,3? I think that is going to be the most interesting match up in this game. That Hightower is such an impressive runner as far as power goes that I think he will present some problems for ASU when they start keying on him and give up some big pass plays. ASU's D did look real good last weekend though.

Unless we see a wrinkle Huseman has never shown before ... we won't show any 3-4. We most always have 4 down linemen. When #5 is in at linebacker, we are in Nickel/Dime.