PDA

View Full Version : The CAA Today: Playoffs Week Two – Still Have Two In! <----CSN!

CSN-info
December 6th, 2007, 01:47 PM
The CAA Today: Playoffs Week Two – Still Have Two In!
Bruce Dowd, CSN columnist

We have a great tournament going and the CAA is more than proving itself. The CAA gets five teams in and they come within seven seconds in one game and a golden missed opportunity for a field goal in the other of sending all five teams into the quarterfinals. We are now 5-3 in the playoffs and all but three of those games have been on the road. After this week, the CAA will have played seven of their 10 games on the road. That is a tough task by anyone’s standards.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89411

Syntax Error
December 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Good thing the Internet doesn't run out of ink or else Dowd would be in trouble! ;)

citdog
December 6th, 2007, 02:02 PM
YAWN

ChickenMan
December 6th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Quote from JMU coach.. Mickey Matthews on a possible UD/ASU final

“Two teams that are exactly the same are Delaware and Appalachian.” Without actually saying it, one of the things he was referring to in some regards is that neither Delaware nor Appalachian State is going to scare you on defense. He then went on to say; “Delaware is a tremendous offensive football team. It’s amazing . . . I think they are probably as good an offensive football team as I have ever seen. I mean they are tremendous offensively. . . . on defense they are similar to Appalachian, almost exactly the same. When you play them [App and Delaware] you have to keep their quarterbacks off the field. That’s the two top quarterbacks in the country.” Then he added this gem and you knew one was coming; “If they [Delaware and App State] play in the finals, you are going to need a pinball machine – that scoreboard is going to have a bunch of points.”

GannonFan
December 6th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Gotta hand it to Bruce, he's thorough and then some.

LacesOut
December 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
The one thing I found very interesting from that article.........

Many years ago, and I can’t even remember exactly when, where or the exact words, but I was listening to legendary Delaware coach Tubby Raymond talk and he was asked about the playoffs and he said he was not in favor of them. My first reaction was how can that be, but then he went on to explain. His reasoning was that 16 teams get in and one wins the championship and 15 teams go home as losers. His concern was that they remember the last game and that loss instead of how good a season they had, and feel they fell short of their goal. Compare that to the BCS where half the world gets to go to a bowl and then half of them win and go home feeling good.

Syntax Error
December 6th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Many years ago, and I can’t even remember exactly when, where or the exact words, but I was listening to legendary Delaware coach Tubby Raymond talk and he was asked about the playoffs and he said he was not in favor of them. My first reaction was how can that be, but then he went on to explain. His reasoning was that 16 teams get in and one wins the championship and 15 teams go home as losers. His concern was that they remember the last game and that loss instead of how good a season they had, and feel they fell short of their goal. Compare that to the BCS where half the world gets to go to a bowl and then half of them win and go home feeling good.Yeah, that do or die/one left standing/win or lose thing about tournaments is a real psychological trap. Good thing most athletes never face it in competition. xreadx

93BlueHen
December 6th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Many years ago, and I can’t even remember exactly when, where or the exact words, but I was listening to legendary Delaware coach Tubby Raymond talk and he was asked about the playoffs and he said he was not in favor of them. My first reaction was how can that be, but then he went on to explain. His reasoning was that 16 teams get in and one wins the championship and 15 teams go home as losers. His concern was that they remember the last game and that loss instead of how good a season they had, and feel they fell short of their goal. Compare that to the BCS where half the world gets to go to a bowl and then half of them win and go home feeling good.

I have to disagree with the Tubster on that one. That philosophy is the reason our public schools suck. You have thirty kids do a mediocre job in class and everyone goes home with a star on their paper. You should reward the performers and hand shovels to the ditch diggers (no offense to any ditch diggers active on the forum).

bamamountaineer1013
December 6th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I have to disagree with the Tubster on that one. That philosophy is the reason our public schools suck. You have thirty kids do a mediocre job in class and everyone goes home with a star on their paper. You should reward the performers and hand shovels to the ditch diggers (no offense to any ditch diggers active on the forum).

Harumph...:D

CharlestonAppFan
December 6th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Is this Mr. C (Coulson) reincarnated as a CAA butt xsmoochx . Wow..now I know how everyone else feels about our beloved xhomerx . If you're a CAA fan, you'll love this article :p

HensRock
December 6th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Is this Mr. C (Coulson) reincarnated as a CAA butt xsmoochx . Wow..now I know how everyone else feels about our beloved xhomerx . If you're a CAA fan, you'll love this article :p

That's true that Dowd is as much a CAA homer as Coulson is an App State/SoCon homer. The difference is that Dowd writes a CAA column. Coulson is supposed to have a national perspective.

Syntax Error
December 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM
... Dowd writes a CAA column...Yeah, CharlestonAppFan, gotta keep up with these things. :p :)

CharlestonAppFan
December 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Yeah, CharlestonAppFan, gotta keep up with these things. :p :)

I do keep up with these things...my post wasn't meant as smackxsmhx . I realized how much Coulson was a homer and how every fan other than ASU feels by his columns. I was only suggesting that Dowd was as much of a homer (albeit for the CAA which is fine) as our guy Coulson isxnodx . CAA vs. SoCon is a touchy subject around these parts...xrotatehx but it's better than the BSC vs. everyone else xlolx

Proud Griz Man
December 7th, 2007, 11:27 AM

I am not a CAA fan, but a Griz fan that enjoys good football. Dowd takes lots of jabs at the Griz and BSC conference, and that saddens me. I have to hand it to him on this article though, as he delivered me information from numerous head coaches that I respect and have significant first-hand playoff experience. His quotes and perspective on the coaches/teams were excellent.

xbowx

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 7th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Where did you get your new avatar?xlolx xlolx xlolx

LacesOut
December 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Where did you get your new avatar?xlolx xlolx xlolx

LOL

I actually found it on another message board. Non football related. It just cracked me up so I saved it to my PC.

And by the way, I like soccer. World Cup soccer, that is. Not the MLS or any Euro league though. But as soon as I saw it I just had to put it up as my avi.

MountainMan
December 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM
There is one big point that Mickey Mathews made that I will have to totally disagree with him on. He said that EWU was able to throw at will against us much like JMU was able to run at will. I guess he didn't watch any part of the game other than the last 3 minutes when we switched to a 3-4 Prevent against EWU. Their all conference QB had just 185 passing of which about half came in those final 3:00.

You can run on the Apps, but pass at will???? You'd think a head coach who is as close to our head coach would have known better. I know it doesn't really matter what is said in the paper (internet), but I wanted to set the record straight.

Tribe4SF
December 7th, 2007, 01:04 PM
There is one big point that Mickey Mathews made that I will have to totally disagree with him on. He said that EWU was able to throw at will against us much like JMU was able to run at will. I guess he didn't watch any part of the game other than the last 3 minutes when we switched to a 3-4 Prevent against EWU. Their all conference QB had just 185 passing of which about half came in those final 3:00.

You can run on the Apps, but pass at will???? You'd think a head coach who is as close to our head coach would have known better. I know it doesn't really matter what is said in the paper (internet), but I wanted to set the record straight.

We CAA regulars read Mickey's comments only for the entertainment value. In the CAA Coaching Fraternity, he's rather like a court jester.xnodx

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM
We CAA regulars read Mickey's comments only for the entertainment value. In the CAA Coaching Fraternity, he's rather like a court jester.xnodx

Exactly...I seriously doubt that Mickey watched a whole lot of that game as it happened...He probably taped it for use against App next year, but I doubt any serious game film breakdown has taken place.

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Exactly...I seriously doubt that Mickey watched a whole lot of that game as it happened...He probably taped it for use against App next year, but I doubt any serious game film breakdown has taken place.

One could argue that he almost rarely breaks down tape at any time, in-season included!! :p :p :p :p

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2007, 01:59 PM
One could argue that he almost rarely breaks down tape at any time, in-season included!! :p :p :p :p

On that note...we know that KC lost his temper, but can you imagine if it was Mickey!?!?!?!?!?xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 02:18 PM
On that note...we know that KC lost his temper, but can you imagine if it was Mickey!?!?!?!?!?xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx xsplatx xflamemadx

Agreed, Mickey throws temper tantrums better than anyone, KC included. xbowx

CharlestonAppFan
December 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM

I will have to repsectfully disagree........Bobby Lamb wears that crown xnodx xlolx :D

GannonFan
December 7th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I will have to repsectfully disagree........Bobby Lamb wears that crown xnodx xlolx :D

I'll need to see proof of that - maybe after the Hens take care of Furman next year we'll get a look at it! xlolx xlolx

mcveyrl
December 7th, 2007, 02:27 PM

As soon as we fumbled against ASU, my eyes went to Mickey. What I witnessed was an unbelievable cocophony of foul language, bouncing headsets and tangled wires that can only be described with one word...
WOW.