PDA

View Full Version : Furman at Western Carolina

The Cats
October 15th, 2023, 07:37 PM
This is a big one. at least in the SoCon, but probably big nationally as well, as both are top 10 teams. They are the only two teams in the conference that remain unbeaten in conference play at 3-0, and both are 5-1 overall (both with a FBS loss).

Anyone have any thoughts on the game, besides Fubear?

crusader11
October 15th, 2023, 07:41 PM
Really looking forward to this one.

I was really impressed with Furman’s defense this past weekend against Samford. Their offense is kind of meh, but does enough. Think their defense is top notch though. WCU meets their match and I like Furman to slow them down enough to win.

Mocs123
October 15th, 2023, 07:51 PM
This should be a clash of the titans in the SoCon. I could see this one going either way, some of it may depend on whether Desmond Reid is 100% as I believe he left the Chattanooga game with an injury.

As a Chattanooga fan I think I should be pulling for Furman, as we really need someone to beat the Catamounts and still get to play the Paladins head to head but......I was really impressed with the Catamount team I saw a couple of weeks ago and I think they have a legitimate chance to knock off the 'Dins especially at home.

wcugrad95
October 16th, 2023, 08:20 AM
The last two games have been split between FU and WCU and were shootouts, seeing both schools score at least 40 points - 2021 saw the Cats win in Cullowhee 43-42 and last season the Paladins won at home 47-40. Both teams are on win streaks that date back into last season. Furman is a ridiculous streak with 10 straight SOCON wins, and they have won 12 of their last 13 FCS games. But what might be surprising to many is WCU has won 6-straight league games and has won 8 in a row against FCS competition.

What does any of that have to do with this coming Saturday - absolutely nothing. Furman has a stout D and an offense that has been doing what they need to for wins. They can control the ball, Huff is a tough competitor, and Roberto is a bruiser who will eventually get his yards. All the normal stuff about the difference being turnovers, scoring TDs vs FGs, etc. hold true because they always hold true when 2 pretty good teams match-up. For me, I think the key stats will be first-down production (neither team wants to be in long-yardage), who makes the fewest stupid penalties (those often come on what would have been a big play), and the biggie is 3rd (and 4th) down conversions - who can get the other one off the field. If FU converts a lot, WCU can't score. If WCU converts a lot, we will score a lot.

I expect a close one between what are definitely top-10 teams, but who might both be top-5 (or at least top-6) after the polls come out today. Hard to not think this is the GOTW nationally in FCS.

kdinva
October 16th, 2023, 08:36 AM
IF the weather is rainy and windy, or similar, is that an advantage for Furman?

Mocs123
October 16th, 2023, 09:06 AM

It might - but Reid is statistically the best RB in the SoCon right now and it's not even close. He may not be 100% healthy though as he left the Chattanooga game with what appeared to be (to me) a pulled hamstring.

wcugrad95
October 16th, 2023, 09:41 AM
Adams is also a very capable back (averaging 6.9 YPC and has come in for Reid later on in games a couple of times to score pivotal TDs), but all signs point to Reid being ready. WCU really does run it as much as we throw it, and although we do take some shots downfield some of our long pass plays have been mid-range where the WR does the rest. We played EKU in a driving rainstorm and it impacted us more in that it slowed our speed down some. So wind is probably not a huge deal - heavy rain and sloppy conditions could be more of a deal for WCU than it would be for FU with Huff and Roberto running the football.

If weather is not a factor, I still expect a heavy dose of WCU running the football to keep FU honest. That really hurt Samford last week in being one-dimensional, and WCU currently is the top rushing team in the SOCON by a fairly wide margin.

ElCid
October 16th, 2023, 09:44 AM

Supposed to be in the high 30s to low 60s for the day. Probably around 60 at game time. Periods of light rain in afternoon. Nothing heavy. Occasional gusts, but light winds otherwise.

The leaves will be awesome looking though. Headed towards that way yesterday and they were starting to turn a lot. By Saturday they should be great.

PaladinNation
October 16th, 2023, 10:36 AM
Just saying Furman's offense is more than just Huff and Roberto.
If that's what you think you'll be in for a surprise, coming into this game Furman is averaging:
197 passing
177 rushing
I do think that rushing number is going to move up closer to 200 yards per game as the season moves forward.

Furman based on last season was a slow starter on offense, gradually becoming more consistent. Unfortunately we're following the same pattern this season. I would feel a lot better if we had our numbers; 2,3,4 running backs. But injuries happen and Wayne Anderson as our number two ain't a bad thing. Plus three tightends (6-7 260, 6-5 250, 6-4 240) that can play H-back still makes this a potent running attack. And that's not counting Huff who's a glorified full-back and our slot weapons.

It's going to be a great game I hope, and a bit of a match up oddity. Furman's going to play physical or at least try to. Furman's going to roll a lot of players in and out on defense, especially along the front seven. It's also going to be interesting to see how Western's corners and safeties handle Furman's receivers physical play from blocking to yards after catch. Western is always impressive due to talent and speed. Furman has talent, but the biggest difference in Furman's program now and in years past is size matching that talent.

In the words of Coach Vaughn GATA!

Milktruck74
October 16th, 2023, 11:05 AM
I'm excited to watch this one. My heart says the Cats get the nod by being the home team, but.... If it is still the same way to break a tie for the AQ (and being the socon, getting the AQ is the only sure way to the playoffs) where a 3 way is broken by points allowed to the other teams....I'm pulling for a 100-98 Furple victory!!!

wcugrad95
October 16th, 2023, 11:08 AM
Just saying Furman's offense is more than just Huff and Roberto.
If that's what you think you'll be in for a surprise, coming into this game Furman is averaging:
197 passing
177 rushing
I do think that rushing number is going to move up closer to 200 yards per game as the season moves forward.

Furman based on last season was a slow starter on offense, gradually becoming more consistent. Unfortunately we're following the same pattern this season. I would feel a lot better if we had our numbers; 2,3,4 running backs. But injuries happen and Wayne Anderson as our number two ain't a bad thing. Plus three tightends (6-7 260, 6-5 250, 6-4 240) that can play H-back still makes this a potent running attack. And that's not counting Huff who's a glorified full-back and our slot weapons.

It's going to be a great game I hope, and a bit of a match up oddity. Furman's going to play physical or at least try to. Furman's going to roll a lot of players in and out on defense, especially along the front seven. It's also going to be interesting to see how Western's corners and safeties handle Furman's receivers physical play from blocking to yards after catch. Western is always impressive due to talent and speed. Furman has talent, but the biggest difference in Furman's program now and in years past is size matching that talent.

In the words of Coach Vaughn GATA!

Not saying Furman's offense is limited to those 2 - I have watched a fair amount of all but the South Carolina game and know you have several good WRs. But Huff and Roberto will be what makes you go. And that comment is especially true in my post talking about if weather is a factor.

Western is much more physical this season than in year's past. Now that is not saying a ton given we have been pretty soft, but our O-line and D-line play has been light years ahead of where they have been (especially O-line play). Furman is no doubt physical - traditionally you have been one of the more physical teams in the conference. This has a chance to be another instant classic if both teams come ready to play.

As for stats, FWIW here are Western's:
309.8 passing (#1 in SOCON)
222 rushing (#1 in SOCON)
531.8 total (I think that might be leading all of FCS)

Western's D has also been much better than in year's past, but people default to thinking about the UTC game. Sometimes you just get caught up in one of those. As I mentioned, the last 2 years Furman and WCU has been a high-scoring affair but that didn't mean FU had a bad D last year (Western actually did). So I agree - it is going to be an interesting match-up really all over the field.

PaladinNation
October 16th, 2023, 11:46 AM
Just watched the CCH show. Clay said pretty much the same thing. It's about the matchups. He raved about Western's Defense being better. That said, he also said it's about matchup, I think his point was he's not sure how good the teams Western has faced are rushing the ball. Add to the fact many of Western's opponents have played behind and you abandon the rush quickly.

Some good news - Josh Harris practiced so he appears to be a go.
KT - Kendall Thomas also practiced, if he's good to go that adds a change of pace speed guy in the backfield.
More good news Clay also mentioned Grant Robinson who started the season at number 2 could be back in a few weeks.

One more thing about this game, WCUgrad this should come as no surprise to you, Furman like to play on the road in big games. The players said as much today on the show.

Clay was very complimentary of Western he said the SoCon is better when Western is good. That said the Paladins relish the role of the underdog and that is the attitude I think they will take into the game Saturday.

catamountalum04
October 16th, 2023, 03:35 PM
I don't really think Furman is the underdog as they have been ranked ahead of WCU all year

PaladinNation
October 16th, 2023, 04:01 PM
I don't really think Furman is the underdog as they have been ranked ahead of WCU all year

CCH made the point the ranking doesn't seem to matter, where Furman's ranked we always seem to be the underdog.
Around the 5 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/live/nkMmTlqm2vU?si=ZIo-KAlXRMMGABHI

wcugrad95
October 17th, 2023, 06:25 AM
Currently Massey has FU with a 51% probability to win a 31-30 game. He does have the Paladins as an underdog against UTC in a couple of weeks (losing 28-26). He has Furman as a big favorite in the rest of the games (17 points or more).

FWIW he has WCU favored in the rest of theirs, and UTC in all but the Alabama game.

The Cats
October 17th, 2023, 11:20 AM
There's a new Cat in Cullowhee...

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjQcaZz3pfhhe6xb3rzhsye1StJbnTEC2dlj1s5IQ5i8f bL3x49t50rcyYerN2z8dJboTbT0EAlrIX4ff-FdQFYf76QUDVLEVljXN8xAV4msJ92K7aXe5vb37XDoeOrMkgiP 73jGjLwoleFM9CtRdl-RyveeYPo_DHwViN32I3ElZ9SwE9JBAuES5QP9lw/w667-h767/new%20cat%202.jpeg
https://catamount.boards.net/attachment/download/253
https://catamount.boards.net/attachment/download/253

FU_Paladin08
October 17th, 2023, 02:14 PM
I’d say this game comes down to Reid vs the Furman defense. Western has a high flying, but balanced offense. Furman has no problem giving up yards as long as they limit points. That will have to come from turnovers and 4th down stops. If Reid is held below his season averages, I don’t think the Western passing game alone will be enough. Really the same goes for Furman. If they have to throw to win it might be a problem. Lordy, please don’t let this come down to a FG for Furman…

wcugrad95
October 17th, 2023, 06:07 PM
I’d say that Western has been having a lot of success because so far we have taken what defenses give us. If you stack up to stop the run, we throw it. If you play soft, we throw quick passes. If you drop or play a 3 man front we run the football. If you pressure our WRs we go over the top or we take you deep and hit guys behind the LBs or in the seams. If you blitz a lot and don’t happen to tackle Reid (or Adams), we run by you for long gains or TDs. That is not to say any of those things are easy to do against a very good Furman defense. But we have been good in the last 5 games adjusting, adapting, and taking what is being given to us on offense.

Could be a whole different animal if FU puts tons of pressure and pushes the O-line back. The trenches are where WCU can be either exposed in this game or prove we really are good. I expect Furman to be steady and balanced and to get yards and 24-28 points. If you go way over that with bad TOs by Western or special team’s scores, you win. If WCU scores over 40 we win. Most likely we will be in the middle of all that and see a 3-7 point game in the 30s.

gofurman
October 17th, 2023, 11:13 PM
Not saying Furman's offense is limited to those 2 - I have watched a fair amount of all but the South Carolina game and know you have several good WRs. But Huff and Roberto will be what makes you go. And that comment is especially true in my post talking about if weather is a factor.

Western is much more physical this season than in year's past. Now that is not saying a ton given we have been pretty soft, but our O-line and D-line play has been light years ahead of where they have been (especially O-line play). Furman is no doubt physical - traditionally you have been one of the more physical teams in the conference. This has a chance to be another instant classic if both teams come ready to play.

As for stats, FWIW here are Western's:
309.8 passing (#1 in SOCON)
222 rushing (#1 in SOCON)
531.8 total (I think that might be leading all of FCS)

Western's D has also been much better than in year's past, but people default to thinking about the UTC game. Sometimes you just get caught up in one of those. As I mentioned, the last 2 years Furman and WCU has been a high-scoring affair but that didn't mean FU had a bad D last year (Western actually did). So I agree - it is going to be an interesting match-up really all over the field.

a few worthless but objective thoughts.

WCU Offense scares me. Full stop

how did your LOS both, get better this year? Transfers? Or same guys? Be curious the answer here. Because for all the skill you have always had skill. But where we would beat you was the trenches.

I’ll be curious to see these LOS matchup. Honestly I think our OL hasn’t been great. Ok but not great. Not a crushing run push. One of last years starters is now playing at Coastal and I think we miss him. That said, our DL has been great at stopping the run. We don’t always get qb pressure but we can generally run stop. That’s our key. Making teams one dimensional. They go to pass heavy.

I'm glad - as everyone should be - that WCU is playing so well. It’s all about the conference getting two or three playoff teams! Yes I desperately want Furman to win but after the game it’s all about hopefully us two plus UTC making the playoffs and winning a game or more !!!

Go SoCon. Need to reestablish a big 3. Furman, WCU UTC Is fine with me Since Sammy and Mercer don’t look to be going anywhere. Good teams. Just a win or so short. Kinda feel for Mercer. They always seem to come up a win short

AshevilleApp2
October 18th, 2023, 01:20 AM
Dang, I'd head to the 'Whee on Saturday, except I work until 2:00. Is this on anywhere but ESPN+? Should be a fun game.

wcugrad95
October 18th, 2023, 03:52 AM
@gofurman - WCU’s O-line is pretty much a bunch of guys who have just gotten bigger and stronger within the program. On D we do have some transfers who get playing time, but quite a few of the front-7 are guys who have been at Western but again have simply gotten bigger and stronger (and more experienced). On defense especiallly it seemed like we were forever playing a bunch of FR and SO and now we are playing a lot of RS SO and RS JR and that has made a huge difference. We also are missing pre-season all-conference Micah Nelson (not a transfer) who we could sorely use against a team like Furman.

Biggest difference on D is in the past we stuck with about 14 guys playing, and now (like I see at Furman) we rotate 20+ defenders throughout the game. So bigger, stronger, more experienced, and fresher at least gives our defense more of a chance than we have had on that side in the last 10+ years. We are not the 85 Bears by any stretch, but historically we just needed a decent defense to change from a 4 or 5 win team into a 7 or 8 win one.

PaladinNation
October 18th, 2023, 07:05 AM
wcugrad… made me want to see what the actual participation numbers were for Furman against Samford.

By my count Furman played 24 players on defense. One starter didn't play Kam Brinson.
Furman played 23 players on offense.

wcugrad95
October 18th, 2023, 08:34 AM
Makes a HUGE difference - especially on D in my opinion.

caribbeanhen
October 18th, 2023, 08:38 AM
Massey has Furman 31-30

The Cats
October 19th, 2023, 07:24 AM
https://twitter.com/Catamounts/status/1714774416628875693

catamountalum04
October 19th, 2023, 09:56 AM
Dang, I'd head to the 'Whee on Saturday, except I work until 2:00. Is this on anywhere but ESPN+? Should be a fun game.

It is just on ESPN plus

gofurman
October 19th, 2023, 10:03 AM
@gofurman - WCU’s O-line is pretty much a bunch of guys who have just gotten bigger and stronger within the program. On D we do have some transfers who get playing time, but quite a few of the front-7 are guys who have been at Western but again have simply gotten bigger and stronger (and more experienced). On defense especiallly it seemed like we were forever playing a bunch of FR and SO and now we are playing a lot of RS SO and RS JR and that has made a huge difference. We also are missing pre-season all-conference Micah Nelson (not a transfer) who we could sorely use against a team like Furman.

Biggest difference on D is in the past we stuck with about 14 guys playing, and now (like I see at Furman) we rotate 20+ defenders throughout the game. So bigger, stronger, more experienced, and fresher at least gives our defense more of a chance than we have had on that side in the last 10+ years. We are not the 85 Bears by any stretch, but historically we just needed a decent defense to change from a 4 or 5 win team into a 7 or 8 win one.

wcugrad95 - Thank you! Good stuff. I like to hear "actual numbers". Interesting about going from 14 to 20 guys on D seeing the field. Y - we do that too. Almost too much for a few of our old starting DL. They wish we would rotate a little less and I get that. Maybe 80% starters and 20% backups instead of what may be 70% starters and 30% backups. Some of the old guys say 'let your best players play'. I do get that. Because I have seen years where we sent the whole second unit in for a series and it was not ... well.. good. I like the depth but wish we would acutally play starters a few more plays.

NOT WHINING - just a list that is objective (and this for BOTH teams):

In any case who all are you missing - starters?
I know Reid is a possible (number 1)... and you mention Micah nelson (9) I see he is all conference DE. yeah, that's a loss - is he for sure out?

I wouldn't ask if I wouldn't reciprocate:
We are missing two ILB who were starters ... but they have been out since the beginning of the year.
We are missing our starting OG (lost last week).
We are missing our number 2 and number 3 RBs so Roberto is still there as the number one back and then the 4th back
We are missing (?) maybe a key DB in Brinson who didn't play vs Samford. Not sure. Listed as "or" / Hoping he can play

gofurman
October 19th, 2023, 10:05 AM

FYI - that's both impressive .. and SCARY. Because you have developed those guys and they could be around a long time. Dam - like Reid is a freakin Soph

wcugrad95
October 19th, 2023, 10:57 AM
Micah Nelson hasn’t played all year.

And we do have quite a few really good, young players. On offense we have one 4-yr starter who will be hard to replace (Tyler Smith) and a couple of other SRs on the 2-deep. And both TEs are SRs. But we should have at least 8 starters back next year - David White is a SR but we rotate a bunch of guys at WR so any one of them could be listed as the starter any given week.

Defense will also have quite a few guys back. Honestly I expected next year to be the year Western would have been more poised to win like this vs 2023.

As for injuries, Coach Bell mentioned 3 or 4 guys after the UTC game who were banged up. FWIW I think all of them still show on the 2-deep. McQueen at LB is a SO who missed some of the UTC game late, but I think he is back.

You’ll notice one of our O-lineman is listed as a starter at one position and the back-up at another. We have been primarily sticking with 6 or so guys on the O-line playing all the snaps. I can’t recall who the O-lineman was that got hurt against Chattanooga, but I am guessing that is why Coulter is listed in 2 different spots.

So I have no real “official” news about anybody being out except guys like Nelson who were already ruled out previously. My bet is we see Reid on the field. For how much or how long I have no idea. Could be a decoy or he could be good-to-go. Believe me - I wish I knew.

PaladinNation
October 20th, 2023, 09:23 AM
I hope Reid plays — I don't wish for any opponent to be injured.

To answer GoFu's post > I think we're seeing some personal changes due to the scheme Furman is playing, especially against Samford and this week against Western.
I expect we will again see a lot of Cally Chizik (Cally is a baller) and Caleb Williams (should be a full-time starter next season).
I'll be curious to see who travels for this game defensively. Furman has already taken the redshirt off three players; Hinton (Slot), Chappell (TE), and Burrell (FS). CCH has mentioned how impressive the scout team has been this season, and expects some of those players to play the full allotment of four games allowed and still redshirt. I'll be looking for a few players on the sidelines dressed.

Concerning next year — for Furman it will be a changing of the guard. It will start with the battle for QB between some really impressive youngsters.

gofurman
October 20th, 2023, 09:34 AM
I hope Reid plays — I don't wish for any opponent to be injured.

To answer GoFu's post > I think we're seeing some personal changes due to the scheme Furman is playing, especially against Samford and this week against Western.
I expect we will again see a lot of Cally Chizik (Cally is a baller) and Caleb Williams (should be a full-time starter next season).
I'll be curious to see who travels for this game defensively. Furman has already taken the redshirt off three players; Hinton (Slot), Chappell (TE), and Burrell (FS). CCH has mentioned how impressive the scout team has been this season, and expects some of those players to play the full allotment of four games allowed and still redshirt. I'll be looking for a few players on the sidelines dressed.

Concerning next year — for Furman it will be a changing of the guard. It will start with the battle for QB between some really impressive youngsters.

PaladinNation, Do you think Williams took Brinson's place (no injury) at Samford just on a coaches choice? That would surprise me some when you have an older All Conference guy who has started every game.

( side bar - I hear you on next year but with a new QB and loss of best OL (Johnanning and Toomey and...) and a TON - I mean A TON of older guys - I expect us to take a definite step back next year. I haven't counted but we will lose like 14 starters... including Huff, Roberto and many of the great defensive front 7 and Blackshear and etc etc (Hugh Ryan etc?). I fully expect us to be at 6-5/7-4 next year.

wcugrad95
October 20th, 2023, 11:24 AM
Good programs reload. I would expect Furman to have depth and guys ready to step in.

wcugrad95
October 20th, 2023, 02:49 PM
The first quarter will be huge in this game. Contrary to what many probably think, WCU will be a run-first team early to open up the pass. Furman is very similar. Western is pretty close to 50/50 pass versus run on the season (217 runs vs 196 passes). Most games our passing picks up in the 2nd and especially 3rd quarters.

FU will try to run early and often to see if WCU is better against the run or not. Then the Paladins will lull teams to sleep for play-action or RPO passes with Huff pressuring teams to decide on coming up to tackle him.

The last 2 years Furman had jumped out to big leads and WCU had to battle back to either win or have a chance to win. Who establishes what in the first quarter, and WCU either having a second half lead or being closer will be key.

I expect a close one.

Chalupa Batman
October 20th, 2023, 05:09 PM
Western Carolina reminds me a lot of last years Incarnate Word team: An explosive offense that is more balanced than people realize, and defense that is prone to giving up a lot of yards/points but also has some really talented dudes capable of making big plays. Furman reminds me a lot of, well, last years Furman team. So that makes me think this game is going to look a lot like the UIW/Furman game from last years playoffs, each team having stretches where they are imposing their will and making the opponent uncomfortable. Like last years UIW/Furman game it probably won't be decided until the final minute.

This time, I think the purple team wins!

FU_Paladin08
October 20th, 2023, 07:17 PM
Western Carolina reminds me a lot of last years Incarnate Word team: An explosive offense that is more balanced than people realize, and defense that is prone to giving up a lot of yards/points but also has some really talented dudes capable of making big plays. Furman reminds me a lot of, well, last years Furman team. So that makes me think this game is going to look a lot like the UIW/Furman game from last years playoffs, each team having stretches where they are imposing their will and making the opponent uncomfortable. Like last years UIW/Furman game it probably won't be decided until the final minute.

This time, I think the purple team wins!

Completly agree. That playoff game was a doozy and had each team on their heels. When a really good offense faces a really good defense, really good football games happen. Should be another good one tomorrow.

PaladinNation
October 21st, 2023, 04:44 AM
To answer GoFurman's question… I do think starting Caleb over Kam is/was a coaching decision. I don't know what actually was said but there were a lot of unhappy players/coaches after the flat performance against the Citadel. Furman puts a lot of emphasis on prep, practice and scheme. Plus, Vaughn, and Spangler (FU defensive coaches) are intense fellas, the personnel decisions and scheme against Samford was pretty darn impressive.

wcuGrad — I think there is a big coaching DNA difference between Hendrix and Bell. First let me say one doesn't make them any better, it's just a difference. Furman when playing with a lead slows things down and plays to wind down the clock. It can get frustrating at times to watch. Furman could have made the Mercer score worse, but instead just handed the ball off to it's number 5 and 6 running backs. By the way Furman was getting reps for it's redshirt backup QB Carson Jones, he didn't attempt a pass towards the end zone. From an outsider looking at WCU's performance against say CSU. Western was up 56 - 14 going into the fourth, Western put up another 21 points in the fourth. That includes a 17 yard touchdown pass with 4 seconds left in the game.

Furman would have been taking a knee over and over.

Furman/Western back in the day was a OG Nasty Rivalry. I hope we have a clean game and the emotions held in check.

wcugrad95
October 21st, 2023, 06:46 AM
I agree on the WCU vs CSU game - was not a fan of throwing the ball. If we handed it off and scored, so be it. The guys in the game for any team should play as hard as they can regardless of the time left. But the coaches call the plays and that seemed clear we were trying to score to tie the school record for points.

But in other games where we also could have run the score up more we didn’t. We took a knee at the end of the Samford game where we certainly could have scored and made it 37-7. Reid didn’t even take a snap after halftime against Citadel in a game we could have probably set the school record for points if we wanted to and he could have maybe set some personal records.

So I will give you the DNA is different, but I think it is really style and scheme. Western will continue to call RPO plays because that is our offense. I’m not sure we have many - if any - straight-up hand it to the RB designed calls. Furman by nature wants to slow the game down - that seems true from the start of the game almost as much as the end.

ElCid
October 21st, 2023, 11:08 AM
Well, it's cool, crisp fall day. Clear and a million with a deep blue sky, light winds. Perfect fall day. Weather shouldn't play a factor.

FU_Paladin08
October 21st, 2023, 11:13 AM
I viewed the early season blowout wins as a way for the coaches to get the voters attention. I was surprised WCU didn’t immediately hit the top 25 after the Samford win. I guess that shows how low they were ranked preseason. Winning games wasn’t enough, blowouts got them taken seriously. IDK, just my theory on why a team would keep pouring it on with a few seconds left. Anyways, it seems to have worked since everyone is picking them over Furman.

Milktruck74
October 21st, 2023, 11:25 AM
I always appreciated Spurrier's line about scoring. It's not my job to keep my team from scoring!

SeattleCat
October 21st, 2023, 01:49 PM
Furman strikes first misses the PAT 6-0. ESPN needs to get their **** together technical difficulties...

Milktruck74
October 21st, 2023, 01:52 PM
Furman strikes first misses the PAT 6-0. ESPN needs to get their **** together technical difficulties...

Yeah, I tried to pop over at halftime of Chattanooga....It is probably the home team broadcast....ESPN usually just picks it up.

Chalupa Batman
October 21st, 2023, 01:53 PM
I've been looking forward to this game all week and now I can't even watch it xbangx

SCPALADIN
October 21st, 2023, 01:59 PM
Dark forces in the Whee I tell ya. The little people in the tunnels beneath the stadium must be up to something.

SeattleCat
October 21st, 2023, 02:06 PM
13-0 Furman still in the 1st.

Chalupa Batman
October 21st, 2023, 02:08 PM
Dark forces in the Whee I tell ya. The little people in the tunnels beneath the stadium must be up to something.

Of course Furman is playing great and no one can see it! :D

wcugrad95
October 21st, 2023, 02:13 PM
WCU has moved the ball into Furman territory all 3 times we have had it, but stalled in kind of no-man's land so went for it on 4th down the first 2 drives and turned the ball over. Western is back down in position to get points, but have to figure out a way to get a TD here. End of the first quarter.

ElCid
October 21st, 2023, 02:16 PM

Connectivity is bad up here in God's country.

wcugrad95
October 21st, 2023, 02:17 PM
Also for those wondering, Reid has played but very sparringly.

wcugrad95
October 21st, 2023, 02:19 PM
13-7 Furman. Cats with a big drive to get a TD. Now it will be up to the Western D to show any kind of life. Furman has "sounded" good on offense (since I can't see it).

wcugrad95
October 21st, 2023, 02:26 PM
I obviously can't see it, but posts on the WCU board say Reid went into the locker room and has come back out in sweats. Also missing a starting OT. That side doesn't help stop Furman, but is going to be a tall order to also try and keep scoring to stay in the game, too.

Furman with another TD. Western will have to step up big time or we'll need another 52 points to stay in the game.

Milktruck74
October 21st, 2023, 02:26 PM
Also for those wondering, Reid has played but very sparringly.

Decoy?

wcugrad95
October 21st, 2023, 02:27 PM
See the post above. He had a couple of carries, and converted a long catch-and-run play in the 2nd drive. It is the Branson Adams show the rest of today.

SCPALADIN
October 21st, 2023, 02:27 PM
13-7 Furman. Cats with a big drive to get a TD. Now it will be up to the Western D to show any kind of life. Furman has "sounded" good on offense (since I can't see it).

20-7

wcugrad95
October 21st, 2023, 02:36 PM
I'd love to see this game. FWIW if you listen to the WCU radio feed it sounds like several missed calls (but of course it is the SOCON so there are always missed calls). WCU got back down in scoring position but turned the ball over on downs again.

wcugrad95
October 21st, 2023, 02:48 PM
Another sorely needed score by WCU to stay in contact. Both teams have had every drive go into the other team's side of the field, but FU with 3 scores and WCU with 2.
20-14 Paladins.

SCPALADIN
October 21st, 2023, 03:54 PM
Special teams nightmare today.

SCPALADIN
October 21st, 2023, 04:36 PM
That should be the ballgame.

PaladinNation
October 21st, 2023, 10:21 PM
I don't think we need to hear any bunk about WCU getting bad calls in this game.
Furman was penalized more than Western including a questionable hold on a touchdown throw by Furman.
Not to mention a missed extra point, two missed field goals, and two of the worst punts I've ever seen…
and yet somehow Furman wins by 12.

I think Western has a great team, and deserve a playoff spot.
I also think Furman proved they might be just a tad underestimated.

wcugrad95
October 22nd, 2023, 05:50 AM
I think injuries to key players would be the one thing I would remind pollsters about - SOCON refs are just horrible, and both teams could point to bad calls (like we could do in pretty much every single game). Would having Reid and our normal starting OT healthy and playing made a difference in the outcome? I am sure FU had some guys out or playing hurt, too. But I think it would be naive to think Western not having their best player on the field didn’t have some impact. Flip it and say what impact would it have been had Roberto only played 2 series? Or if Huff was out midway through the 1st quarter. Reid is our best player and yesterday proved how important he is.

Would WCU have won? I am not saying that by any stretch. Furman played a very Furman-like game and are well-deserving of a #3 or even #2 ranking. But I hope pollsters and more importantly - the selection committee if WCU finishes 9-2 - take our key missing part into consideration. WCU was totally one dimensional and I think with a healthy Reid we are at least a little more successful in running the football. Would it have been only 30 or 40 more yards? Or would he have broken off a couple of long ones like he has done in about every game? I honestly don’t know. Furman is excellent against the run and I just wish both teams would have been at full-strength to see.

Furman is clearly a team that can go (and I believe will go) deep into the playoffs, and with a healthy Reid I believe Western has that ability, too. Without Reid we are still a playoff team whose success would be more determined by who we are matched up against.

PaladinNation
October 22nd, 2023, 06:45 AM
CCH has a realistic point-of-view on injuries.
Attrition happens in football and it's next man up.

Furman lost a starter at linebacker in the spring Bryce McCormick.
Thankfully Evan DiMaggio is becoming that heat-seeking missile we hoped for.
Add to the loss of McCormick, Achina another player expected to contend for PT, he's been out since the 1st quarter of the first game.
Furman lost a starting OG last week for the rest of the season.

Concerning Reid, who no doubt is an excellent player. But if we're gonna play the what if game.
Furman played yesterday with their; #1 RB Roberto, #1 Slotback converted back to RB Anderson, #5 RB Myion Hicks.
Not playing due to injuries; #2 Grant Robinson (another big back, but with more edge speed) #3 Kendal Thomas (scat back) #4 Jayquan Smith (possibly the most upside for a running back) Smith had a devastating knee injury against the Citadel - and rehab will be a year.

With a full stable of running backs I could see Furman going for 400 plus yards against Western.
Injuries happen unfortunately in football, I wish Reid could have played. I also wish Furman had at the very least Grant Robinson as Roberto's number two. Good news is Robinson was on the sideline at Western and seemed to be walking normal.

Back to this game.
Both lines for Furman get my game balls.
It's been a long time since you could say this— think Furman's D Line was more athletic, and physical compared to the Western O line.
Furman's O line played a great game. I heard it from the Cat fans in the stands that Furman was holding on every play.
The same could be said for Western throwing Furman's pass rushers to the ground, and lots of jersey holding. I think this was called once on Western.
This was CCH's quote at halftime.

I think Western is a top eight team, and will get to showcase it's catpower in the playoffs.

One scary thought about the potential of this Furman offense. Huff and Pline (6-7 260 TE) are just starting to get into a rhythm. Pline is a unique weapon at the FCS level.

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2023, 07:34 AM
This is exactly why I have said you can't look at a team in the early season and expect the school to field the same team late in the season. Sadly, My Mocs have lost Ford. HE has been playing without an ACL these past few weeks. I think the saddest thing is he ends his career 125 yards away from the all time rushing record at UTC and without a playoff game or a SoCon Championship. But Because the teams that play in two weeks (Furman and Chatanooga) will look a little different then they even did this week....I'm holding out hope this team can win out in the SoCon and get Ford a share of that Championship!!!

PaladinNation
October 22nd, 2023, 09:23 AM
This is exactly why I have said you can't look at a team in the early season and expect the school to field the same team late in the season. Sadly, My Mocs have lost Ford. HE has been playing without an ACL these past few weeks. I think the saddest thing is he ends his career 125 yards away from the all time rushing record at UTC and without a playoff game or a SoCon Championship. But Because the teams that play in two weeks (Furman and Chatanooga) will look a little different then they even did this week....I'm holding out hope this team can win out in the SoCon and get Ford a share of that Championship!!!

Milltruck… I hear ya! I hated to hear the news about Ford. One thing not in the MOCS favor, why the heck is your bye not until after the Furman game, before you guys play Bama. That's a head-scratcher.

FUwolfpacker
October 22nd, 2023, 09:28 AM
Both teams can certainly point to injuries and missed calls. I think it’s fair to wonder what would have happened if Reid could have gone more. That short pass he took for big yardage in the first quarter shows how important and dynamic he is for that offense. Furman fans probably still feel like we might have beaten Samford last year if Huff could have played (despite a good game from the back up), so it’s understandable.

Ultimately, I think both teams are very good, and I think Western should find a soft landing spot in the polls with a decent number of middle top 25 teams losing. Good luck to Western the rest of the way!

Milktruck74
October 22nd, 2023, 02:11 PM
I completely understand coulda shoulda....but football is a game of inches and attrition....Great teams have depth...one goes down how good can two fill the roll? and inches....if the spot on third and short was only three inches further....yep.... it is always a thin margin.....if Reid was healthy, it might have been a different game, if Ford didn't start the season with a Blown ACL, tUNA and a razor thin loss to WCU may not have happened...yeah...i love this game and I HATE it too!!!!! I hope Reid is able to get healthy for a deep run in the playoffs for WCU, they will need him to be full strength. I hope Gino (Mocs #2) and Reggie (Ford's heir apparent) can find their own groove going into the playoffs (provided they get a birth)....and I hope Huff stays healthy until (and thru) Furple's deep run in the playoffs just to show how good the SoCon actually is!!!!!

wcugrad95
October 22nd, 2023, 05:59 PM
Heartbreaking for Ford. That dude has been a stud his entire career and deserves to leave as the all-time leading rusher. Injuries are always part of the game and teams who win have a next man up ability, but sometimes that is hard when you are talking about true difference makers like Ford and Reid.

All that said, I think Furman, WCU, and UTC would be a handful for anybody in the country.

FU_Paladin08
October 22nd, 2023, 08:45 PM
I think injuries to key players would be the one thing I would remind pollsters about - SOCON refs are just horrible, and both teams could point to bad calls (like we could do in pretty much every single game). Would having Reid and our normal starting OT healthy and playing made a difference in the outcome? I am sure FU had some guys out or playing hurt, too. But I think it would be naive to think Western not having their best player on the field didn’t have some impact. Flip it and say what impact would it have been had Roberto only played 2 series? Or if Huff was out midway through the 1st quarter. Reid is our best player and yesterday proved how important he is.

Would WCU have won? I am not saying that by any stretch. Furman played a very Furman-like game and are well-deserving of a #3 or even #2 ranking. But I hope pollsters and more importantly - the selection committee if WCU finishes 9-2 - take our key missing part into consideration. WCU was totally one dimensional and I think with a healthy Reid we are at least a little more successful in running the football. Would it have been only 30 or 40 more yards? Or would he have broken off a couple of long ones like he has done in about every game? I honestly don’t know. Furman is excellent against the run and I just wish both teams would have been at full-strength to see.

Furman is clearly a team that can go (and I believe will go) deep into the playoffs, and with a healthy Reid I believe Western has that ability, too. Without Reid we are still a playoff team whose success would be more determined by who we are matched up against.

I think Bell knew Reid wasn’t going to play and went with the decoy tactic to get an advantage in the early passing game. Opening drives are scripted and Reid didn’t touch the ball once that drive. Adams was clearly the lead back in the two weeks of practice, and running behind an amazing offensive line. I thought he looked really good in the first half, so I was surprised when he only got 4 touches and a few targets in the second half. Not trying to take anything away from how impactful Reid is, but Adams seemed up for the task at 4.7 yds per carry. He just didn’t get the ball enough.

The truly unfortunate thing was the busted TV coverage. This game had national attention and seeing it means much more to pollsters than a box score. I hope they do take everything into consideration before plummeting WCU. They don’t deserve that. This was also Furman’s opportunity to show those pollsters (and everyone that picked against them this week) that Furman continues to rise to the occasion each week. Anyone scrolling box scores will see Reid touched the ball twice and write this one off as luck. This was also a prime time SoCon matchup that deserved to be seen nationally. Just a shame really.

Chalupa Batman
October 22nd, 2023, 09:07 PM
For anyone that wants to watch the replay (like me), there is a replay of the game up on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I_UaLVt7EU

wcugrad95
October 23rd, 2023, 08:22 AM
FWIW on the coverage, according to at leat the WCU sports network and the radio coverage, this seemed to be at least partially to blame on the feed into ESPN on their side. I obviously can't say that with 100% certainty, but we have had lots of games on the last few years and outside of the occasional couple of minutes of "technical difficulties" there have been no real misses like this. Murphy's Law I guess, as 50% of the comments coming into the radio broadcast (and at least 50% of the in-game comments on both FU and WCU's board) were about the non-coverage. Shame on both sides.