PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Season Hot takes-Underdogs-Unranked teams that should be ranked.

SeattleCat
October 15th, 2023, 03:45 PM
I'm going to come out and say Portland State should be ranked, when I watched them play the Bobcats they were very athletic and bought into Barny Ball. All of their losses could almost be called good losses, they got pummeled by a top 10 FBS team and held their own against FBS Wyoming and #2 Montana State. Wins 91-0 against a NAIA (not great, but it wasn't 50-30 or some crap like that either), 59-21 against a bad Cal Poly and they just trounced an up and coming NAU in their own house which isn't easy in the walkup skydome.

Interested to hear everyone else's takes.

MTfan4life
October 15th, 2023, 04:18 PM
I'm going to come out and say Portland State should be ranked, when I watched them play the Bobcats they were very athletic and bought into Barny Ball. All of their losses could almost be called good losses, they got pummeled by a top 10 FBS team and held their own against FBS Wyoming and #2 Montana State. Wins 91-0 against a NAIA (not great, but it wasn't 50-30 or some crap like that either), 59-21 against a bad Cal Poly and they just trounced an up and coming NAU in their own house which isn't easy in the walkup skydome.

I wouldn't necessarily say PSU deserves to be ranked, but for both UC-Davis and Montana, that is definitely trap game potential on their schedule.

One team that needs to be ranked, but isn't yet, is Austin Peay. They are 4-2 with a blowout loss to Southern Illinois and a 17 point loss to FBS Tennessee. They've rattled off 4 straight victories and are playing as well as very few teams right now. Lafayette is another one. They're 5-0 in the FCS with their only loss coming against Duke. They have Holy Cross this weekend in a game that should be closer than a lot of people might initally assume.

caribbeanhen
October 15th, 2023, 06:22 PM

Ive been noticing Portland States scores and made a note to self to take a closer look at them before submitting my poll

FUBeAR
October 15th, 2023, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say PSU deserves to be ranked, but for both UC-Davis and Montana, that is definitely trap game potential on their schedule.

One team that needs to be ranked, but isn't yet, is Austin Peay. They are 4-2 with a blowout loss to Southern Illinois and a 17 point loss to FBS Tennessee. They've rattled off 4 straight victories and are playing as well as very few teams right now. Lafayette is another one. They're 5-0 in the FCS with their only loss coming against Duke. They have Holy Cross this weekend in a game that should be closer than a lot of people might initally assume.
FUBeAR concurs

robsnotes4u
October 15th, 2023, 07:47 PM

Not a trap game for either of those two. Was Montana a trap game for Idaho? Was UND a trap game for NDSU?

Watching them play, I think they are equals to both teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
October 15th, 2023, 08:10 PM
Ive been noticing Portland States scores and made a note to self to take a closer look at them before submitting my poll

There she is…

Miss Portland State

Bert Parks Miss America Pageant

[*=center]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51FFgYXOiIL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

(https://www.amazon.com/Parks-America-Pageant-Photo-H9083/dp/B01IFJQS3U#)

JALMOND
October 15th, 2023, 09:51 PM
I appreciate the love for Portland State, but I think there is another surprising Big Sky team that people may want to take notice of. Two weeks ago, Idaho State went to Montana and gave the Grizzlies a really tough game before bowing out. This week, the Bengals were down to a ranked EWU team by a score of 35-7 and rallied for a 42-41 win over the Eagles. A lot of people (myself included) looked at that Montana game and wondered what was wrong with the Grizzlies when maybe we should have taken a closer look at the Bengals.

By the way, Idaho State and Portland State face each other this weekend in Hillsboro. The Big Sky is showing a lot of parity this year (actually there is a lot of parity across the nation) that if I was a voter, I might wait on both and then next week give some consideration to whoever wins that game.

MTfan4life
October 15th, 2023, 10:47 PM
Not a trap game for either of those two. Was Montana a trap game for Idaho? Was UND a trap game for NDSU?

Watching them play, I think they are equals to both teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To spell it out easy for you, generally a trap game, is a game where a ranked team has a chance to lose to an unranked team, whilst looking ahead at a much bigger game. So no, Montana was not a trap for Idaho and nor UND a trap for NDSU, as all four teams were ranked in the top 20. Unless they beat ISU and EWU by 40 points each, 2-3 Portland State isn't getting ranked, so at this time, it's still under "trap game" potential, as after each play PSU, Davis still has to finish with Sac State, and Montana has to directly follow it with your favorite team.

crusader11
October 16th, 2023, 11:39 AM
Here are some hot takes --

Harvard is top ten good.

The CAA is a two-bid league and they won't have a representative in the quarterfinals.

NDSU drops two more games and misses the playoffs.

Lafayette goes 9-2 and receives an at-large.

Chattanooga reaches the quarterfinals.

Lamar wins the Southland and UIW misses the playoffs.

Portland State wins four of their next five and sneaks into the playoffs as an at-large.

South Dakota wins the Valley.

Holy Cross wins out and gets a seed.

caribbeanhen
October 16th, 2023, 12:26 PM

Harvard is top ten good.

The CAA is a two-bid league and they won't have a representative in the quarterfinals.

Portland State wins four of their next five and sneaks into the playoffs as an at-large.

good stuff, I’ve had some of these thoughts as well but certainly not all

MR. CHICKEN
October 16th, 2023, 01:56 PM

Harvard is top ten good.

..........GONNAH BE UH FUN POST....TA RE-VISIT........DOWN DUH ROAD............BRAWK!

SeattleCat
October 21st, 2023, 12:54 PM
Lafayette is really good.

WrenFGun
October 21st, 2023, 04:09 PM
Gosh that's going to be a tough spot for Holy Cross now with three losses, @Army and @Fordham left to go. I don't know if the committee is taking a 4 loss Patriot League team even if I think very highly of the Crusaders.

Anecdotally, I have not seen a season setup for as much chaos as this one in a long time. For example, in the CAA, Richmond and Elon are both likely to be 3 loss teams with 1 CAA loss with only a few games remaining in the schedule. If Lamar beats UIW they may run the trouble in the Southland. UC-Davis could run the table in the Big Sky. If SEMO beats UT Martin does the OVC get two?

The finishes are going to be all over the place in the CAA, IMO. It's not insane to think a 3 in-conference loss CAA team might be a better bet than a 1 in-conference loss CAA team.

Bogus Megapardus
October 21st, 2023, 06:03 PM

On the gridiron, we tend to be geared toward the average rather than the exceptional. So this is something different.

Pards Rule
October 22nd, 2023, 08:10 AM
Thx Cat. Waiting a while for this sir. We are very happy with former alum and player John Troxell. Very good friend of mine, Ron Holm used to be the National Oil Accts Manager at Hanna Car Wash Systems ( EQ manufacturer, shipping worldwide) out of Portland and own but not run a wash in SEA, was a Bobcat alum and we would spend a lot of time talking FCS on the phone. I worked in marketing/site development for Hanna mid Atlantic. We would root for each others teams. Sadly he passed a few years ago. We would have a lot to discuss this year!

Pards Rule
October 22nd, 2023, 08:16 AM

Harvard is top ten good.

Crusader, I assume you were slotting a HC win as one of the two losses when you posted this (just saw it) - cant blame you as I would too but very eerily prescient my friend, just now with good graces and great football a Patriot title.

MR. CHICKEN
October 22nd, 2023, 08:21 AM
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by crusader11 https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=3151025#post3151025)

Harvard is top ten good. xlolx

Holy Cross wins out and gets a seed. xlolx

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33098&d=1628869651&thumb=1 (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33098&d=1697482635)

..........GONNAH BE UH FUN POST....TA RE-VISIT........DOWN DUH ROAD............BRAWK!