PDA

View Full Version : Jackrabbits @ Grizzlies thread

DuckDuckGriz
September 13th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Any predictions?

Some backstory: The last time South Dakota State and Montana played was 1993. In that game the Griz set the NCAA record at the time for the biggest comeback in a game, down something like 38-7 heading into the fourth quarter to come back and win. Oddly enough `93 was also the last time the Griz played Oregon, which is a loss they are coming off of heading into this game.

SDSU is 2-0 and have had no problems with their first two games against less than stellar opponents. They are looking to create an identity of their own in their second year of I-AA competition. The Jackrabbits had a comeback of their own late in the fourth against Montana State in Bozeman last year, but fell just short after getting the onside kick.

This will be SDSU's first real test of the season and Montana's first test in discovering their true identity.

Remember kids its South Dakota State @ Montana -- in front of 24,000 fans at Washington-Grizzly Stadium this Saturday at 1:05MST.

89rabbit
September 13th, 2005, 01:27 PM
My therapist says I should never talk about the ’93 game. Final Score Montana 52 –SDSU 48. :bang: :bang: :bang: ;) Still not bad for a D-II school, we just ran out of gas. It is all going to come down to who can run the ball this year. State by three, we have a great kicker. He just broke one of Adam Vinatieri's school records last week (yes New England Patriots kicker Adam Vinatieri).

mlbowl
September 13th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Any predictions?

Remember kids its South Dakota State @ Montana -- in front of 24,000 fans at Washington-Grizzly Stadium this Saturday at 1:05MST.

Is there going to be any tv? oh.........almost forgot about a prediction

Griz - 24
Jackrabbits - 10

lucchesicourt
September 13th, 2005, 02:28 PM
My prediction is Griz 24 SDSU 20, and with a break or two SDSU could win it!!!!

Gil Dobie
September 13th, 2005, 02:31 PM
SDSU 23
Griz 20

AZGrizFan
September 13th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Wow, one crappy loss and now people don't think we can beat SDSU? With the D the Griz displayed in Eugene, SDSU will be lucky, IMHO, to sniff the end zone. They'd BETTER have a good kicker...I'm guessing they won't start six drives inside Griz territory like the Quacks did, either.

My prediction:

Griz - 34
SDSU - 13

bison95
September 13th, 2005, 03:31 PM
25 - 24 SU :D

putter
September 13th, 2005, 03:32 PM
6 drives inside Griz territory? How about 6 drives inside the Griz 30! SDSU will have a difficult time scoring if the D plays like that but our QB needs to step up also.

Griz --> 28
Hares - > 13

DuckDuckGriz
September 13th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I guess I forgot to post my prediction -- just because the Griz are pissed doesn't mean the Jacks will lay down.

Griz win 27-13.

JALMOND
September 13th, 2005, 04:32 PM
In '93, Dickenson almost led Montana to a come from behind upset of Oregon. This year, that did not happen. In '93 SDSU almost upset the Grizzlies. This year that won't happen.

Griz 48
Hares 10

swaghook
September 13th, 2005, 05:04 PM
The rabbits haven't been tested yet this year but I don't see a win for them. This one may even be like the GSU game last year for the Jacks. :eek:

89rabbit
September 13th, 2005, 05:13 PM
That is a silly post, even the Griz fans know that their offense isn't explosive enough to do that. For that matter it doesn't look like Georgia Southern has an explosive enough offense to do it this year either. :rolleyes:

DuckDuckGriz
September 13th, 2005, 05:14 PM
That is a silly post, even the Griz fans know that their offense isn't explosive enough to do that. For that matter it doesn't look like Georgia Southern has an explosive enough offense to do it this year either. :rolleyes:

89 I agree with you here -- but I think the new and improved Griz D will not allow the Jackrabbits to do much, hopefully our offense has grown over the week or SDSU will make it interesting.

carny
September 14th, 2005, 12:54 AM
89 I agree with you here -- but I think the new and improved Griz D will not allow the Jackrabbits to do much, hopefully our offense has grown over the week or SDSU will make it interesting.

swaghook has been bashing the rabbits for a long time. He was especially talkative prior to the rabbits/bison game last year.

89rabbit
September 14th, 2005, 10:12 AM
swaghook has been bashing the rabbits for a long time. He was especially talkative prior to the rabbits/bison game last year.

Yea, but he was kinda quite after the game wasn't he. ;)

Jacks99
September 14th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I'll give a realistic score of 31-16 (3 FG's by Douglas).

Jacks have a good shot a keeping it close, but a longershot at winning.

WYOBISONMAN
September 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM
.....and the Rabbit fans will be quiet when the Dakota Marker returns to FARGO and FARGO becomes the final resting place for the trophy......... :D

You guys are not going to knock off a top 10 team (read BISON) at home..... :cool:

Hansel
September 14th, 2005, 11:10 AM
I don't think either offense will put up that many points

Mont 24
SDSU 13

X-Factor
September 14th, 2005, 12:34 PM
The Griz definately have some serious questions on offense, but their Defense will consistently put their O in good field position all day long. The jacks D isn't that great either, so I feel some points will be scored.

Griz 28
Jacks 12

Jacks score 4 field goals, but no drives inside the redzone will result in points.

DuckDuckGriz
September 14th, 2005, 04:18 PM
What type of offense does SDSU run?

bison95
September 14th, 2005, 04:36 PM
What type of offense does SDSU run?

SHOTGUN

Jacks99
September 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM
SHOTGUN

Actually it's a new offense this year, but I can't tell you what it is. I do know you won't see much of the shotgun. You will see Kardoes using the play action option and also doing some running around the end. I think it's mainly built around the running game and Kardoes' running skills. Seems like all the passing plays require some time to develop, while Kardoes is outside the pocket.

DuckDuckGriz
September 14th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Actually it's a new offense this year, but I can't tell you what it is. I do know you won't see much of the shotgun. You will see Kardoes using the play action option and also doing some running around the end. I think it's mainly built around the running game and Kardoes' running skills. Seems like all the passing plays require some time to develop, while Kardoes is outside the pocket.

Interesting test for the Griz D. They are really a gang tackling type team, but that could spell trouble if he is faking pitches, throws, etc. If the passes take some time to develop that could spell trouble, as UM likes to pressure and rush the QBs. Hope the Jackrabbit line can hold well, but if Karodes is a good scrambler you will see some success.

swaghook
September 14th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Montana. GSU and NDSU are on the Jacks schedule this year, if they can win two out of the three games I mentioned I might give them a little respect. ;)

Lumberjacks76
September 14th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Montana may have their hands full in this one. I like South Dakota State to pull out the win.

Paul

X-Factor
September 14th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Montana. GSU and NDSU are on the Jacks schedule this year, if they can win two out of the three games I mentioned I might give them a little respect. ;)

If they pulled out 2 wins from those 3 they would deserve ALOT of respect. Now that the season is rolling, it looks like they might have their best shot at GSU...possible payback for last year???

Proud Griz Man
September 15th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Montana may have their hands full in this one. I like South Dakota State to pull out the win.

Paul

First sentence is understandable. I am curious about your reasons for the second sentence Paul. What are you seeing Paul? :confused:

I respect SDSU, but think the Griz will get things together saturday. :D

Jacks99
September 15th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I'm sure they will be up for that game, but I know they won't be looking past any of the teams they play, except maybe Rolla.

DuckDuckGriz
September 15th, 2005, 10:54 PM
If SDSU pulls out the win on Saturday I would strongly consider the Jackrabbits for the Great West title -- I know we don't know how good Montana is yet but if you can pull out a win in Missoula that usually says alot about your team.

SeattleGriz
September 17th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Griz 37
Jackrabits 20

SiouxFallsJack
September 17th, 2005, 09:43 AM
If we can hold our own in the first two offensive/defensive series, I believe we will hang tough all day and pull out a 23-21 victory. :)

Now if you guys pound the ball down our defense the first series or two and we turnover the ball, I see Montana winning 35-24 with a late SDSU score to make the final closer. :mad:

Lumberjacks76
September 17th, 2005, 01:26 PM
I like SDS's chances against Montana. I really do. I think the Griz go down this week in an upset.

Paul

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2005, 03:01 PM
I'm totally not looking forward to facing those guys at their place come Octorber 29th...

GOKATS
September 17th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Um 7 SDSU 0 at halftime. SDSU was looking to score, but QB sack & fumble at the 27- Griz recovered.

slostang
September 17th, 2005, 03:41 PM
IAA_pwns_IA,

The worst part of that game for GSU is that it will be cold as hell by Oct. 29th
in South Dakota. I am glad that Cal Poly plays South Dakota State next week when it is hopefully still somewhat warm.

Hansel
September 17th, 2005, 03:48 PM
IAA_pwns_IA,

The worst part of that game for GSU is that it will be cold as hell by Oct. 29th
in South Dakota. I am glad that Cal Poly plays South Dakota State next week when it is hopefully still somewhat warm.
Actually the average high for Brookings, SD on OCT 29 is 51 degrees, not warm but not cold as hell, although depending on the day the high could be as high as 70's or as cold as 30s (Fall weather is unpredictable in the Dakotas)

89rabbit
September 17th, 2005, 04:17 PM
We are starting to wear down, that what happens when our offense doesn't move the ball at all. The D has been on the field all day.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2005, 04:18 PM
IAA_pwns_IA,

At least it will (porbably) be dry.

Hansel
September 17th, 2005, 04:22 PM
At least it will (porbably) be dry.
Not positive about SD, but Fargo gets a fair amount of rain in Oct, I wouldn't be surprised if it is wet in Brookings

Hansel
September 17th, 2005, 04:40 PM
it appears the cameramen are obsessed with "monte", there have been a few plays where they have shown Monte instead of the game

89rabbit
September 17th, 2005, 04:45 PM
1st and goal Jackrabbits!

89rabbit
September 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Tried a trick play and lost a lot of yards. Ended up giving it up on loss on downs. :bang:

Montana 7 - SDSU 0

GOKATS
September 17th, 2005, 05:00 PM
UM THUMPS SDSU 7-0 at home- what a Powerhouse. :rolleyes:

89rabbit
September 17th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Heck of an effort by my Jackrabbits, we had our chances. I am very proud of our guys! Congrats to the Griz on their win, it was a hard fought game.

Tod
September 17th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Don't be jealous. The 'Cats will do well one of these years. :)

TulsaBobcat
September 17th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Griz fans were quick to BOO the offense. The SDSU announcers were commenting on the bad fans. They said, "No wonder coaches only stay here for two years!" Griz look to be in some big time trouble for conference play.

Hansel
September 17th, 2005, 05:11 PM
good effort by the Jacks, and yes Montana does have QB problems

JALMOND
September 17th, 2005, 05:28 PM
OK, now that the baseball game is over, could someone tell me when the football game is to begin???

mlbowl
September 17th, 2005, 05:50 PM

Take your sarcastic BS comments to the smack board

Bisonforlife
September 17th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Congrats to both schools Montana for the win and SDSU for a good effort. :)

ncbears
September 17th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Sounds like UM might be in for a long year in coference play. Good for the bunnies to keep it close like that. By the way...who's starting qb for the mighty grizz?

GrizFoo
September 17th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Good job by both D's. Pretty good effort by SDSU's O. Terrible play calling by the Griz OC. He is lost.

Ronbo
September 17th, 2005, 07:36 PM
You Cat fans are full of doo doo. The offense played a very conservative game because it RAINED the whole game. Want to talk about QB problems I'd look at SDSU. This was a total rain game that held the score down and helped the defenses. We'll see how good SDSU ends up, they beat NDSU last year and they have 16 starters back so they aren't that bad. Take a look at the rushing yards, this team averages 350 yards rushing. Washington was 19-28, 68%. Problem? Their QB was 9 for 24.

...............................SDSU............Mon tana
1st Downs...................10...................17
3rd down efficiency......2-14................8-18
4th down efficiency.......1-3.................0-2
Total Yards..................108.................300
Passing........................80................. .129
Comp-Att...................9-24................19-31
Yards per pass.............2.8...................3.8
Rushing.......................28.................. .171
Rushing Attempts..........32....................46
Yards per rush..............0.9...................3.7
Penalties.....................6-34.................5-30
Turnovers.....................2................... ...1
Fumbles lost..................1......................1
Interceptions thrown.......1......................0
Possession.................27:25................32 :35

DuckDuckGriz
September 18th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Griz fans were quick to BOO the offense. The SDSU announcers were commenting on the bad fans. They said, "No wonder coaches only stay here for two years!" Griz look to be in some big time trouble for conference play.

The Griz fans were not quick to boo the offense. They booed in the fourth quarter when Montana called a running play on third and long. I remember Cat fans booing their offense during their Adams State game last year.

The Griz need ALOT of growth on offense but I am confident they will get there. I would have much rather squeaked by SDSU at home then gotten blown out by Cal Poly on the road. :rolleyes:

By the way -- congratulations on a great game to the SDSU fans. It was a tough fought game and really could have gone either way -- your punter was actually one of the key reasons that the Griz O struggled, they were constantly starting in the shadows of their own goal posts.