PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Finalists Announced

cowbellnation
December 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Stiegelmeier receives top coaching honors
By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
December 5, 2007

South Dakota State coach John Stiegelmeier has yet another point of prestige at his disposal while on the recruiting trail - although he's not likely to use it.

Reached Tuesday afternoon in Omaha, he was unaware of being chosen as one of five finalists for the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award in the Football Championship Subdivision. He also was named coach of the year by the Great West Football Conference and Region 5 of the American Football Coaches Association...

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071205/SPORTS0202/712050348/1002/SPORTS

The other finalists

Mark Farley of Northern Iowa
Jerry Kill of Southern Illinois
The Citadel's Kevin Higgins
and Morehead State's Matt Ballard

spelunker64
December 5th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Congrats Coach Stiegelmeier

Purple For Life
December 5th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Just the facts, ma'am. But hey, whatever.

Hoyadestroya85
December 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM
hahaha..
I'd give it to Kill... he's a good guy

PTW16
December 5th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Let's not forget Kevin Higgins... he's done an amazing job at The Citadel...

Higgins has Changed Heart of Bulldogs
Courtesy: The Post and Courier
Release: 10/25/2007

By Ken Burger

In his third year, head coach Kevin Higgins has brought excitement and a new attitude to Citadel football.

Three years ago Kevin Higgins held his first football practice at The Citadel and was completely underwhelmed by what he saw.

Gray uniforms. Gray attitudes.

"I couldn't believe it," Higgins said of the first week of practice back in 2005. "It was like we were coaching robots. There was no emotion. No excitement. The game of football is meant to be played with excitement."

The lack of emotion among the Bulldogs players stunned Higgins, who thought he knew what he was getting into when he took the job at the military school.

"I went over to the president's office and had a sit-down with (then-president) Gen. John Grinalds and asked him point blank if he could help me with this," Higgins said earlier this week. "I'd never been around players in my life who didn't show emotion."

Full story here (http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=52989&SPID=3829&DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=1287406).

89Hen
December 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Congrats to all on the list! xbowx I think Stiegelmeier, Higgins or Ballard are most deserving given what they have to work with and where the programs were just a year or two ago. Not to take anyting away from Farley or Kill, but they aren't exactly new to success. Higgins has the toughest job of all five IMO. Any military school is up against it from the start.

appfan2008
December 5th, 2007, 01:48 PM
great list i hope that higgins gets it... he did a heck uv a job this year...

jmu_duke07
December 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM
What about the coach at my school!! I think he's the best because thats where I attended college!

(Story of every poster here)

TwinTownBisonFan
December 5th, 2007, 02:15 PM
jmu stole my thunder ;)

I am a bit sad to see that Craig Bohl didnt make the cut, not just because i'm an NDSU alum, but because of his achievements... that said, Coach Stiegelmeier deserves a lot of credit

Killsback
December 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
This was supposed to be a rebuilding year at SIU. The Salukis were picked to finish 4th in the Gateway and came within 6 yards of going undefeated on the season and in the league. Coach Kill has turned what was once the lauging stock of 1-AA football into a respected program. SIU is one of only two teams to make the playoffs each of the last 5 years..Montana is the other team. SIU has just 7 nine win season in its history....Kill has led them to five of those 7 nine win season after taking over a program that was close to being eliminated. His philanthropy off the field is tremendous and his Coach Kill Cancer Fund has helped many people in southern Illinois already. All the money he raises stays in southern Illinois and there is no overhead cost.

It is really hard not to like the man!

Philly Phoenix Phan
December 5th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I've gotta give props to Coach Lembo from Elon (yes, my school, but if you had been there two years ago, you'd understand why). Lembo turned this program around in no time, and that passing game was off the charts this year. Especially with the freshman Riddle taking the snaps. I'm damn proud of the direction that Lembo has taken them in.

I can't say he's better than the names on this list, and maybe if we'd made the playoffs, he would have a legitimate argument. Nonetheless, congrats to all those above.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM
No Jerry Moore our Chris Hatcher? Weren't they on the top 3 in the popular vote?

Strange.

rb45070
December 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Honestly, being a socon homer, I agree that both Hatcher and Lembo have done amazing things with GaSo and Elon. I think that while Higgins has done a great job, those two are definately a step up on him.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Honestly, being a socon homer, I agree that both Hatcher and Lembo have done amazing things with GaSo and Elon. I think that while Higgins has done a great job, those two are definately a step up on him.

I agree. I think Elon came much farther this year than the Citadel did.

BluehenJK
December 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I dont see Northern Iowa on the below lists:
-1-AA (FCS) National Champions
-2007 FCS Semi-finalists xlolx

DetroitFlyer
December 5th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Very nice to see Matt Ballard get some well deserved attention. He turned MSU around from a dismal 2006. In 2007, his Eagles were the only team to beat Dayton. He had MSU in contention for the PFL title right up until the last week of league play. Mike Kelly dserved PFL coach of the year, but Matt Ballard was a VERY close second. I hope he wins this award.

Kelly Green
December 6th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Coach Dale Lennon (http://www.coachoftheyear.com/finalists.aspx?coach_id=369) (University of North Dakota) would appreciate your vote in the DII category.

xnodx

redspider
December 6th, 2007, 09:40 AM
This award is clearly a joke when it comes to FCS because Clawson is not even a finalist.

Millwoch
December 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM

????Higgins is 2-0 in the Lehigh bowl, head-to-head with Lembo...He turned a 3 win team to a 7 win team in 3 years...How is Lembo a step up.

Let's give Hatcher one more year before we judge, even though his Valdosta record speaks for itself.

citdog
December 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM
No Jerry Moore our Chris Hatcher? Weren't they on the top 3 in the popular vote?

Strange.

bitch, moan, you two get all the All Conference picks even when your guys don't deserve it and all you do is bitch and moan. Hatcher couldn't do what Higgins has done at The Citadel in three years. three years ago hatcher's testes hadn't dropped yet.

gophoenix
December 6th, 2007, 07:00 PM
bitch, moan, you two get all the All Conference picks even when your guys don't deserve it and all you do is bitch and moan. Hatcher couldn't do what Higgins has done at The Citadel in three years. three years ago hatcher's testes hadn't dropped yet.

Or maybe it goes to show that a popularity contest with three message boards set out to out-vote each other in the fan vote don't really hold much water.

citdog
December 7th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Or maybe it goes to show that a popularity contest with three message boards set out to out-vote each other in the fan vote don't really hold much water.

with 2,000 Cadets abd less than 15k living alumni we are sure to win tbhat onexrolleyesx

btw really enjoy beating y'all

cowbellnation
December 7th, 2007, 09:12 AM
All of you are looking to much into the win column, most of you stating why your coach should be listed and not the others are only talking about winning, there are other more important things when it comes to winning this award, like developing top notch citizens, graduating players, high team GPA, stewardship, things I personally think Coach Stig at SDSU is very well established in. He finished 13th in the fan vote, but he's a finalist, does that mean he shouldn't be considered for a top 5 finalist. We here at SDSU enjoy winning as much as all you all, but I think we are one of the last Universities and program that still puts a great emphasis on our athlete's academics and citizenship. Hell our Women's Basketball team has finished with the top team GPA in the country for 2 straight years now, a title which all Jack's fan are very proud of, yet we are still the first University to make the postseason, that is still in transition from D-II. I can't believe one of you said this award is a joke in the FCS, these coaches obviously have made great strides at their programs in categories other than winning, and still win. There are more important things just winning gentlemen.

citdog
December 7th, 2007, 05:33 PM
All of you are looking to much into the win column, most of you stating why your coach should be listed and not the others are only talking about winning, there are other more important things when it comes to winning this award, like developing top notch citizens, graduating players, high team GPA, stewardship, things I personally think Coach Stig at SDSU is very well established in. He finished 13th in the fan vote, but he's a finalist, does that mean he shouldn't be considered for a top 5 finalist. We here at SDSU enjoy winning as much as all you all, but I think we are one of the last Universities and program that still puts a great emphasis on our athlete's academics and citizenship. Hell our Women's Basketball team has finished with the top team GPA in the country for 2 straight years now, a title which all Jack's fan are very proud of, yet we are still the first University to make the postseason, that is still in transition from D-II. I can't believe one of you said this award is a joke in the FCS, these coaches obviously have made great strides at their programs in categories other than winning, and still win. There are more important things just winning gentlemen.

are you kidding me? SDSU "the last univ and program that still puts a great emphasis on our athletes academics and citizenship"

you do know that Kevin Higgins from THE CITADEL
is on the list right?

gophoenix
December 7th, 2007, 06:19 PM
with 2,000 Cadets abd less than 15k living alumni we are sure to win tbhat onexrolleyesx

btw really enjoy beating y'all

Not that, that was commenting on the App and other fans complaining about the finalists. Basically, three message boards (GSU and App were two of them) were posting daily to get their people to vote. It is kind of funny all the "Oh know, Moore isn't #1, go vote" type messages. That is what I am talking about with popularity contests. That is why the fan vote really meant nothing.

Sorry I responded to you rather than a proper post. I think Higgins is one of the top turn-around type coaches of the year. You get about as defensive as I get....

cowbellnation
December 7th, 2007, 08:59 PM
citdog

I said one of the last, keyword "One"

I am commending your coach, and how you defend him, your coach obviously puts a lot into developing young men into great people, and the selection committee noticed. i was defending you and your coach, i just used sdsu as my example since that is my school. i didn't mean any disrespect to your university or coach. I was trying to help you defend the citadel from all these jokers that think this award isn't worth jack because their coach had tons of wins, and votes, and didn't make the finalists. i am all for higgins

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 7th, 2007, 09:02 PM
What does Wofford's coach have to do to get on this list?

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 7th, 2007, 09:04 PM
..for that matter, how about some props for venerable Bob Ford, 8-3 this year, and a legend in coaching around the country, not just at Albany. I will bet that there are 20-30+ head coaches in the nation that started off as a GA at UA under CoachFord

skinny_uncle
December 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Gotta go with the guy in my signature.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 14th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Three years ago Hatcher won a Div 2 National Championship at Valdosta State even though he had only coached for a few years.

Thats a lot more than Higgins will ever be able to say.

btw. thanks for the neg rep anytime I make a point about GSU being better then The Citadel. Classy. xthumbsupx