PDA

View Full Version : Montana @ Idaho

VandalBasher
October 8th, 2023, 09:30 PM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401540246
First game: 1903
Trophy: Little Brown Stein
Series: (55–30–2) Idaho
Montana has had the upper hand since 1991, winning eleven of the last fourteen.

This will be homecoming for the Vandals. There are 203 tickets left. Both teams will be coming with their best this weekend. When the Kibbie Dome is filled, it is as loud as any stadium that I have ever been to. Add ESPN2 to the mix, this is going to be great for both universities.

The biggest issue is the start time. Kickoff is at 7:30 pm PST. For those on the east coast, enjoy some late night football!

Go Vandals.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 8th, 2023, 10:03 PM
This is awesome! I will be locked in!!

Chalupa Batman
October 8th, 2023, 10:04 PM
Could you add a poll to this thread?

VandalBasher
October 8th, 2023, 10:07 PM
Could you add a poll to this thread?

Actually, nope. The Griz are like the cousin you enjoy fighting. But, they are our cousin.

putter
October 9th, 2023, 01:08 PM
Should be a good one. Vandals have the upper hand, for sure. I hope that McDowell continues to improve his throwing as that is what Montana will need to pull some upsets the rest of the year.

Chalupa Batman
October 9th, 2023, 01:19 PM
Actually, nope. The Griz are like the cousin you enjoy fighting. But, they are our cousin.

Not sure what this means but okay.

uofmman1122
October 9th, 2023, 01:22 PM
This last game gave me some hope, so looking forward to the vandals snatching it away from me again. lol

In all seriousness, although I don't think we will win this game, I now think that we can.

putter
October 9th, 2023, 01:29 PM
This last game gave me some hope, so looking forward to the vandals snatching it away from me again. lol

In all seriousness, although I don't think we will win this game, I now think that we can.

I agree. Davis was ready to stop the run and McDowell completing those early passes helped the Griz. If they have any shot against the Vandals, MSU, or SAC they can't be one dimensional and McDowell is the only QB to be able to do this as the O-Line is still sub-par, IMO.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 9th, 2023, 01:35 PM
I agree. Davis was ready to stop the run and McDowell completing those early passes helped the Griz. If they have any shot against the Vandals, MSU, or SAC they can't be one dimensional and McDowell is the only QB to be able to do this as the O-Line is still sub-par, IMO.

Dead on. We are also doing what we used to do back in the 2000's in that we build on previous experiences and actually get a little better as the season goes on...so far anyway.

This is a really big game with a great ol' rival and no matter how late they run it I'm gonna be ready to go. kalm will be nappy time when this one starts. xlolx

dbackjon
October 9th, 2023, 05:14 PM
The Z Bowl

VandalBasher
October 10th, 2023, 02:24 PM
Not sure what this means but okay.

I didn't want to add a lame poll. This rivalry game goes against logic and rankings. And, a popularity contest isn't going to predict the outcome.

Good luck on Saturday. The Dome will be full.

MSUBobcat
October 10th, 2023, 03:10 PM
I didn't want to add a lame poll. This rivalry game goes against logic and rankings. And, a popularity contest isn't going to predict the outcome.

None of that is a good reason to not have a poll. All a poll does is show who people think is going to win a game.

FYI, Chalupa Batman isn't a Griz fan. He's not a fan of any Big Sky team so he has no skin in the game whatsoever.

SeattleCat
October 10th, 2023, 05:23 PM
The griz D might get some stops but not enough, the griz O is going to have a real bad day. Idaho has a pretty stingy defense and an offense that will eventually get rolling.

Catbooster
October 10th, 2023, 05:43 PM

Kind of a lame reason not to add a lame poll.

I think we're all aware that a poll on the thread won't predict the outcome, just like our weekly AGS polls don't necessarily predict the outcomes. Based on the AGS poll nobody is predicting UM to win. I'll bet a poll on this thread would have some people picking the Grizzlies.

The board is for discussion and fun. A game poll on the thread adds to the fun for some people. And it sometimes prompts more interest in the thread.

MSUBobcat
October 10th, 2023, 06:03 PM
Kind of a lame reason not to add a lame poll.

I think we're all aware that a poll on the thread won't predict the outcome, just like our weekly AGS polls don't necessarily predict the outcomes. Based on the AGS poll nobody is predicting UM to win. I'll bet a poll on this thread would have some people picking the Grizzlies.

The board is for discussion and fun. A game poll on the thread adds to the fun for some people. And it sometimes prompts more interest in the thread.

And that's why the thread for the Big Sky GOTW is a grave yard. Sole reason. xcoffeex when it had potential to be xdrunkyx

NY Crusader 2010
October 11th, 2023, 05:46 AM
I'll try to tune in for the 1st quarter or half.

Dodgers D-Backs Game 5 (if necessary) would be the major competitive sporting event on at that time. UCLA-Oregon State starts at 8pm ET on FOX.

VandalBasher
October 11th, 2023, 10:32 AM

Dodgers D-Backs Game 5 (if necessary) would be the major competitive sporting event on at that time. UCLA-Oregon State starts at 8pm ET on FOX.

No doubt this will be a late game for those on the east coast.

MSUBobcat
October 11th, 2023, 10:51 AM

It won't be necesssary.... UCLA-Oregon will be almost over by the Idaho-Montana kickoff (10:30pm ET). Only thing limiting you is your own bedtime! Which sucks for me, because I have to be at the airport Sunday morning at 5am for a work conference that I definitely didn't want to go to in Orlando. :pumpuke:

dbackjon
October 11th, 2023, 11:24 AM

Hopefully there will not be a game 5 :_

SeattleCat
October 11th, 2023, 11:28 AM
Hopefully there will not be a game 5 :_

All I know is I want to kick Jerry Dipoto in the nuts for trading away our closer that was beloved by the entire city...

dbackjon
October 11th, 2023, 11:49 AM
All I know is I want to kick Jerry Dipoto in the nuts for trading away our closer that was beloved by the entire city...

The Paul Sewald Experience is always a nail-biter, but has solidified the pen

VandalBasher
October 11th, 2023, 05:32 PM
From an eGriz analyst:

General Stats

Passing yards per game UI (188 for GRIZ vs 239 for UI)
Rushing yards per game UI (158 for GRIZ vs 204 for UI)
Total offense UI (346 for GRIZ vs 443 for UI)
Passing yards allowed per game UI (264 for GRIZ vs 167 for UI)
Rushing yards allowed per game GRIZ (88 for GRIZ vs 131 for UI)
Total defense UI (353 for GRIZ vs 298 for UI)

Just like the Davis game, save the rushing defense – the Griz opponent picks up all stats, Idaho gets 5, Montana gets 1.

Offense points scored UI (28 for GRIZ vs 35.7 for UI)
Defense points allowed GRIZ (19 for GRIZ vs 21.8 for UI)
Turnover margin GRIZ (+5 for GRIZ / -2 for UI)
Fieldgoal % UI (50% for GRIZ vs 90% for UI)
Punt Returns GRIZ (18.6 yards for GRIZ vs 8 yards for UI)
Kick Returns UI (19 yards for GRIZ vs 22 yards for UI)
T.O.P. UI (30:30 for GRIZ vs 33:44 for UI)
Red Zone defense (touchdowns) GRIZ (56% GRIZ / 60% UI)
Red Zone offense (touchdowns) UI (64% GRIZ / 68% UI)
3rd down offense UI – (40% for GRIZ / 44% for UI)
3rd down defense GRIZ – (33% allowed for GRIZ vs 42% allowed for UI)

Once again, a lot of similarities in differences between teams from last weeks game, however Idaho does flip a few that counted toward Montana last week. Idaho finishes with 6, Montana gets 6. That puts the total at Idaho 11 – Montana 7.

Pards Rule
October 13th, 2023, 07:56 AM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401540246
First game: 1903
Trophy: Little Brown Stein
Series: (55–30–2) Idaho
Montana has had the upper hand since 1991, winning eleven of the last fourteen.

This will be homecoming for the Vandals. There are 203 tickets left. Both teams will be coming with their best this weekend. When the Kibbie Dome is filled, it is as loud as any stadium that I have ever been to. Add ESPN2 to the mix, this is going to be great for both universities.

The biggest issue is the start time. Kickoff is at 7:30 pm PST. For those on the east coast, enjoy some late night football!

Go Vandals.

Go Vandals! I live on Long Beach Island, NJ a 5 minute walk to Atlantic Ocean. There is a house about 10 blocks of me that has a Univ of Idaho flag! I will ask if I see them what connection they have to Moscow.

caribbeanhen
October 13th, 2023, 08:12 AM
The Paul Sewald Experience is always a nail-biter, but has solidified the pen

Get ready for the Harper Valley Phillies and their crazy east coast fans… see you in baseball thread

VandalBasher
October 13th, 2023, 09:15 AM
From the President of the UofI:

Dear Vandals,

The Big Sky Conference’s two oldest rivals will tangle in front of a sold out Homecoming crowd in the P1FCU Kibbie Dome Saturday night, battling for one of the iconic trophies in college football.

The University of Idaho and the University of Montana first met on the football field 120 years ago — a 28-0 Vandal victory in Moscow. In 1938, Montana students offered up a perpetual trophy for the winner of the annual showdown and the Battle for the Little Brown Stein was born.

Coach Jason Eck and his Vandals brought the Little Brown Stein back to Moscow last season for the first time since 1999. Ten years earlier, John Friesz quarterbacked Idaho to three straight Big Sky Conference titles and the Grizzlies often stood in the path of those championships.

“I was born in Missoula and have a lot of family there, so it was always special to play against the Grizzlies,” said Friesz, who enjoyed a 10-year career in the NFL after graduating from the U of I in 1990.

In September 1988, Montana defeated Idaho on the 50th anniversary of the Little Brown Stein – the only loss to the Grizzlies of Friesz’s career. But in the playoffs, the Vandals got the final word.

“They had beaten us in Missoula, but we got a second chance in the playoffs — and to beat them in Moscow — that was a great feeling,” Friesz said.

The rivalry cooled over the 22 years Idaho was not in the Big Sky Conference, from 1996 to 2017. But the Vandals lead the all-time series with 56 wins and 30 losses against the Grizzlies. Now that the two universities are together again in the Big Sky, the rivalry is gaining the ferocity it held throughout the 1980s.

Saturday’s game is the first Vandal football sellout since 2010 against Boise State. Friesz remembers playing in front of wall-to-wall crowds in the Kibbie Dome many times throughout his career, which was capped by winning the 1989 Walter Payton Award as the best player in NCAA I-AA football. The Coeur d’Alene native will be among the crowd Saturday as the Vandals vie to hang on to the Little Brown Stein.

“I really like how things are so positive with this team,” Friesz said. “Coach Eck expects a lot, but he does it in a positive way and you can see how passionate they are. That’s how it was when I played at Idaho. My closest friends to this day are my college teammates because we shared that experience of playing for each other and it’s really cool to see today’s players doing the same thing.”

I personally am as excited as I have ever been for a homecoming game. Let’s all get behind our Vandals and beat the Griz!

https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.mcauto-images-production.sendgrid.net%2F98dad3f69e88737e%2F53342 6b9-f18f-43dc-99d5-38cab07b3341%2F800x800.jpeg&t=1697206326&ymreqid=176a5d22-a673-a4ac-1c26-2e01b3015600&sig=2COXIMunTsQ3as7nItmO2Q--~D
Go Vandals!

C. Scott Green
President

MSUBobcat
October 13th, 2023, 10:31 AM
From the President of the UofI:

Dear Vandals,

The Big Sky Conference’s two oldest rivals will tangle in front of a sold out Homecoming crowd in the P1FCU Kibbie Dome Saturday night, battling for one of the iconic trophies in college football.

The University of Idaho and the University of Montana first met on the football field 120 years ago — a 28-0 Vandal victory in Moscow. In 1938, Montana students offered up a perpetual trophy for the winner of the annual showdown and the Battle for the Little Brown Stein was born.

Coach Jason Eck and his Vandals brought the Little Brown Stein back to Moscow last season for the first time since 1999. Ten years earlier, John Friesz quarterbacked Idaho to three straight Big Sky Conference titles and the Grizzlies often stood in the path of those championships.

“I was born in Missoula and have a lot of family there, so it was always special to play against the Grizzlies,” said Friesz, who enjoyed a 10-year career in the NFL after graduating from the U of I in 1990.

In September 1988, Montana defeated Idaho on the 50th anniversary of the Little Brown Stein – the only loss to the Grizzlies of Friesz’s career. But in the playoffs, the Vandals got the final word.

“They had beaten us in Missoula, but we got a second chance in the playoffs — and to beat them in Moscow — that was a great feeling,” Friesz said.

The rivalry cooled over the 22 years Idaho was not in the Big Sky Conference, from 1996 to 2017. But the Vandals lead the all-time series with 56 wins and 30 losses against the Grizzlies. Now that the two universities are together again in the Big Sky, the rivalry is gaining the ferocity it held throughout the 1980s.

Saturday’s game is the first Vandal football sellout since 2010 against Boise State. Friesz remembers playing in front of wall-to-wall crowds in the Kibbie Dome many times throughout his career, which was capped by winning the 1989 Walter Payton Award as the best player in NCAA I-AA football. The Coeur d’Alene native will be among the crowd Saturday as the Vandals vie to hang on to the Little Brown Stein.

“I really like how things are so positive with this team,” Friesz said. “Coach Eck expects a lot, but he does it in a positive way and you can see how passionate they are. That’s how it was when I played at Idaho. My closest friends to this day are my college teammates because we shared that experience of playing for each other and it’s really cool to see today’s players doing the same thing.”

I personally am as excited as I have ever been for a homecoming game. Let’s all get behind our Vandals and beat the Griz!

https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.mcauto-images-production.sendgrid.net%2F98dad3f69e88737e%2F53342 6b9-f18f-43dc-99d5-38cab07b3341%2F800x800.jpeg&t=1697206326&ymreqid=176a5d22-a673-a4ac-1c26-2e01b3015600&sig=2COXIMunTsQ3as7nItmO2Q--~D
Go Vandals!

C. Scott Green
President

Uhhhhhh.... MSU and UM have been rivals since 1897. Is Idaho's president that bad at math?

grizband
October 13th, 2023, 12:52 PM
Uhhhhhh.... MSU and UM have been rivals since 1897. Is Idaho's president that bad at math?
Montana was founded a few months earlier than Montana State (1893); Idaho was founded in 1889. I wonder if he's using semantics to make this rivalry sound more impressive.

MSUBobcat
October 13th, 2023, 01:24 PM
Montana was founded a few months earlier than Montana State (1893); Idaho was founded in 1889. I wonder if he's using semantics to make this rivalry sound more impressive.

That would be some interesting semantic gymnastics. I think for a rivalry to start, you actually have to play each other. I thought maybe I was mistaken that MSU wasn't a founding member of the Big Sky and that was the loophole he was going with but nope.

grizband
October 13th, 2023, 02:40 PM

That would be some interesting semantic gymnastics. I think for a rivalry to start, you actually have to play each other. I thought maybe I was mistaken that MSU wasn't a founding member of the Big Sky and that was the loophole he was going with but nope.
Seems we both tried to figure out what he meant. I still can't figure any data point that makes Idaho an older rival than MSU for Montana.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2023, 09:55 PM
bump....great showcase for FCS and these two schools!

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 14th, 2023, 10:00 PM
The We Both Used to be in the PAC-12 Bowl

Laker
October 14th, 2023, 10:04 PM
Griz score on a bomb, go for two but are penalized. 10-0 Montana early.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2023, 10:05 PM
TD Griz!

Montana 10-0

Griz extinction a bit premature?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2023, 10:28 PM
This is great theater! Griz channeling their inner-Rocky as they invade Moscow....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2023, 10:31 PM
TD Griz!

Montana 17-0 9:22 2Q

POD Knows
October 14th, 2023, 10:31 PM
Getting pretty chippy. Montana is bitch slapping Idaho.

Chalupa Batman
October 14th, 2023, 10:32 PM
Montana dominating, just like we all expected.......

penguinpower
October 14th, 2023, 10:37 PM
The top MVFC teams would kick both of these teams asses. They have Zero size on their lines.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2023, 10:38 PM
Idaho genuinely looks awful...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2023, 10:53 PM
"sneaks it in right down the middle"....nice FG!

Griz 20-0 2:12 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2023, 10:59 PM
Vandals have awoken! What a drive!

Griz 20-7 0:52 2Q

Chalupa Batman
October 14th, 2023, 11:01 PM
Huge drive there for the Vandals! They get the ball coming out of halftime too, can really get back into this game if they can get another TD.

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2023, 11:24 PM

.......HOW LONG HAS BERGEN......PLAYED.....FO' DUH GIZZ.........xconfusedx.....GEESH.......BRAWK?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2023, 11:33 PM
Ouch, I hate to see players go low like that....

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2023, 11:37 PM
............SHOODAH TOOK DUH 3......xsighx......BRAWK!

Chalupa Batman
October 14th, 2023, 11:42 PM
That seemed like Eck panicking when he went for it on 4th down there. 4th & 3 or less, sure go for it. But 4th & 6 take the points!

MR. CHICKEN
October 14th, 2023, 11:50 PM
....MONTE'S BRINGIN' DUH WOOD.....SPUDS.....CHIPPY.....AWK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2023, 11:53 PM
This going to be a wild 4th quarter. Griz play right on the edge imo..

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2023, 12:00 AM
4th quarter! Been watching football for 13 hours. I have another 60 in me....

Of note from the day, Lehigh and Temple are putrid, K-State is "pretty good". I'm not sure if Temple would finish in the Top 5 in the mediocre CAA....

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2023, 12:02 AM
....AH SPENT 3 HOURS IN DUH COLD RAIN.......AN' AH'M STILL HERE TOO!...........BRAWK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2023, 12:06 AM
Huge 3 points for the Griz...

23-7

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2023, 12:07 AM
....GETTIN' LATE IN DUH EAST.................AN' IN IDAHO.......AWK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2023, 12:14 AM
The Idaho QB is one tough dude!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2023, 12:18 AM
Either Montana's front 7 is the second coming of the 85 Bears or Idaho's OL is really bad...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2023, 12:20 AM
Vandals with a TD and 2 pt conversion! McCoy is incredible! He's running for his life every play!

23-15...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2023, 12:31 AM
This is great! What a late night treat!

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2023, 12:33 AM
...YEAH.....WORTH IT!

MUHAWKS
October 15th, 2023, 12:34 AM
that timeout gonna cost Idaho badly if they dont make the 2 pt conversion (assuming they score)

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2023, 12:35 AM
TD Vandals!! 2 pt attempt to come...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2023, 12:36 AM
everyone does a version of the "philly special" these days....

MUHAWKS
October 15th, 2023, 12:42 AM
really poor coaching by idaho-- montana will just go for it on 4th if it comes to that bc they called the stupid timeout

Chalupa Batman
October 15th, 2023, 12:42 AM
That was a perfect onside kick the first attempt. Tough break being offside.

Chalupa Batman
October 15th, 2023, 12:46 AM
that timeout gonna cost Idaho badly if they dont make the 2 pt conversion (assuming they score)

Idaho going for it on 4th & 6 instead of kicking the FG on the first drive of the 2nd half is costing them too

MUHAWKS
October 15th, 2023, 12:47 AM
Idaho going for it on 4th & 6 instead of kicking the FG on the first drive of the 2nd half is costing them too

100% and it aint even hindsght, just not the right call to go for it at that point..

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2023, 12:49 AM
Idaho stuffs the Griz on 4th down! Here we go!

- - - Updated - - -

That should be a forward pass and a clock run off...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2023, 12:50 AM
Remains a fumble! Griz will win! Wow! What a night cap in Moscow!

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2023, 12:53 AM
....THUD GO DUH SPUDS!.......BRAWK!

....ANYONE REMEMBER DUH CHIP SHOT......NOBODAH TRIED?.......AWK!

MR. CHICKEN
October 15th, 2023, 12:56 AM

...FUN GAME TA WATCH....FLUFFIES.............DOODLE-DOO!

HensRock
October 15th, 2023, 01:11 AM
THat was a fun one! Congrats Griz

polsongrizz
October 15th, 2023, 01:34 AM

How did that work out for you tonight?:D

kdinva
October 15th, 2023, 05:23 AM
two weeks ago someone bashed me for ranking Montana #18......the last two weeks........ shhhhh

ElCid
October 15th, 2023, 08:54 AM
two weeks ago someone bashed me for ranking Montana #18......the last two weeks........ shhhhh

Yeah, I've had them ranked throughout. They were probably a bit high to begin with in the poll, but they have been worthy all along. It was a great game to watch.

Laker
October 15th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Stayed up until the end unlike Friday when I went to bed at halftime of the Colorado 29 Stanford 0 game. Idaho couldn't quite pull it off. They had the onside kick but the penalty wiped that out.