PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina at Chattanooga

The Cats
October 1st, 2023, 06:58 PM
The next big test for the Catamounts comes this Saturday in Chattanooga, TN. A place where the Cats have had difficulty win in the past, we are something like 7-16 in games played Finley Stadium.

Any thoughts on the game?

FUBeAR
October 1st, 2023, 07:28 PM
FUBeAR thinks this matchup of FCS Top 10 Teams will be a WAR!

JSUSoutherner
October 1st, 2023, 07:57 PM
The next big test for the Catamounts comes this Saturday in Chattanooga, TN. A place where the Cats have had difficulty win in the past, we are something like 7-16 in games played Finley Stadium.

Any thoughts on the game?
Finley is a hard place to play for anyone.

It's hard playing in a dump anywhere. Is the crack tower just off the SW corner of the stadium still there?

Chalupa Batman
October 1st, 2023, 08:51 PM
FUBeAR thinks this matchup of FCS Top 10 Teams will be a WAR!

I thought you were surely joking at first, then I realized that you were referencing the fact they both rank in the top 10 of FCS stats in first downs gained and team passing efficiency. Good job FUBeAR going deep with the stat dive! :D

FUBeAR
October 1st, 2023, 09:18 PM
I thought you were surely joking at first, then I realized that you were referencing the fact they both rank in the top 10 of FCS stats in first downs gained and team passing efficiency. Good job FUBeAR going deep with the stat dive! :D
Good to know, but nah....FUBeAR was referencing their overall quality with respect to all other 126 Teams in FCS - of which there are no more than 8 better.

That said...they ARE tied for 4th in FCS in a much more important stat - WINNING.

They are both coming off big Conference WINS this week. And your Team?

Chalupa Batman
October 1st, 2023, 09:49 PM
Good to know, but nah....FUBeAR was referencing their overall quality with respect to all other 126 Teams in FCS - of which there are no more than 8 better.

That said...they ARE tied for 4th in FCS in a much more important stat - WINNING.

They are both coming off big Conference WINS this week. And your Team?

My team sucked, but then again my observations are based in reality so it's easy for me to say that.

Anyway, you have fun in the fantasyland you live in in which the team that just needed a 2nd half comeback to beat the team that lost to ****ing Presbyterian is top 10 in all of FCS.

FUBeAR
October 1st, 2023, 09:51 PM
My team sucked
https://wp.usatodaysports.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/2015/01/182781iz759dyjpg.jpg

Chalupa Batman
October 1st, 2023, 10:12 PM
https://wp.usatodaysports.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/2015/01/182781iz759dyjpg.jpg

You're right, I was mad about.....something, so let me sincerely apologize for my incorrect take on Chattanooga. It takes a top 10 team with rare testicular fortitude to mount a 2nd half come back against the powerhouse Wofford Terriers (it's too bad the Mocs didn't play the Blue Hose as well to boost their strength of schedule). It takes a top 10 team to beat transitioning-to-FBS Kennesaw State (which fellow top 10 teams Tennessee Tech & Charleston Southern did as well). It takes a top 10 team to stay within 14 points of the mighty North Alabama Lions (fellow top 10 team Tennessee Tech did as well).

I eagerly look forward to see your "clever" picture or gif rebuttal.

FUBeAR
October 1st, 2023, 10:23 PM
You're right, I was mad about.....something, so let me sincerely apologize for my incorrect take on Chattanooga.

I eagerly look forward to see your "clever" picture or gif rebuttal.
Nah...FUBeAR is worried about you. Maybe this will help -> https://www.self.com/story/how-to-stop-being-angry-at-yourself

Chalupa Batman
October 1st, 2023, 10:40 PM
Nah...FUBeAR is worried about you. Maybe this will help -> https://www.self.com/story/how-to-stop-being-angry-at-yourself

Yet again you want something to be true so badly that you think you can will it into being if you keep saying it out loud enough, even when it's not grounded at all in reality. It's admirable really.

Anyway I'm done derailing this thread, have fun with your "top 10" matchup this week.

The Cats
October 1st, 2023, 10:50 PM
Yet again you want something to be true so badly that you think you can will it into being if you keep saying it out loud enough, even when it's not grounded at all in reality. It's admirable really.

Anyway I'm done derailing this thread, have fun with your "top 10" matchup this week.

Well, you did a professional job on that.

I don't think I've ever even posted a peep on a NDSU thread, I avoid them at all costs, but you guys feel entitled to blow-up any threads you like. And you wonder why southern team fans hold you guys in disdain...

You want to have a pissing contest with fubear, I could care less, but do it on a thread he starts, that's common courtesy or do you know about such things?

FUBeAR
October 1st, 2023, 11:53 PM

Don't leave. You can't go...all the plants are gonna die.

BTW - Did you see Sam Herder's ballot this week?

South Dakota State
Montana State
Idaho
Furman
Western Carolina
Southern Illinois
Incarnate Word
Sacramento State
South Dakota
North Dakota State

Not sure why he spelled Chattanooga wrong...there's not even an "r," a "d," a "k," an "s," or an "e" in Chattanooga. He needs a new editor or a better spell check app! He also flip-flopped what he meant for #3 & #4, but that seems more like a formatting error than a spelling issue.

https://youtu.be/yBFJLi74OWE?feature=shared

ElCid
October 2nd, 2023, 12:35 AM
Just some random thoughts. UTC is a pretty good team. Massey has them with a one score win, but I believe they look at history of series matchups as well. UTC seems to have a history of starting out games a bit slow. At least from what I have seen. Just an impression I get. Get them in the hole early, against a good team, and they will fold. WCU can do that. UTC always seem to do "just enough" to win games against half way decent teams. They are clearly better than Wofford, but the Ankle biters played above themselves and hung around. If the UTC D can slow down WCU and keep it close, watch out, but I'm thinking if WCU takes off early and gets even a 2 score lead it will be over. They can move the ball quickly. Yeah I realize UTC came back from being down by 21-0 against UNA to take the lead for a bit, but UNA is not WCU. And UTC still lost. That game is still a puzzler. UTC just wasn't ready out of the chute in week one against what they thought would be an easy win. And I'm not sure the UTC D is a s good as its been in the past. Even if it is, as of this weeks games, WCU has given up fewer yards than UTC has per game! That's a switch. It's real close, but still.... And while their score against Arkansas was a bit bad, they only gave up 379 yards to a good P5 FBS team.

I hate to ignore the history of this series, especially in Chattanooga, but I think WCU takes this one. But who knows. UTC could be up big time for it and they are both real good teams. While I don't share FUBeARS view they are top 10, they are easily top 20. With Mercer, Furman and Alabama still to go, this is a must win for UTC. If they lose, they have to take both Furman and Mercer to have any hope of the playoffs. WCU can't afford to lose this either. With Furman and Mercer still, they need it for a cushion in case they hit the skids for a bit. They better hope their recent success doesn't go to their heads. Lots on the line. Should be a great game.

wcugrad95
October 2nd, 2023, 07:42 AM
Just like some of the discussions in the polls, this is not the same WCU team or coaches from the past. That is not to say UTC can't or won't win the game, but I fully expect Coach Bell with a much deeper and more athletic team to not lose a game because of a history they don't know about. I don't think past results have anything to do with the 2023 version of WCU (or UTC for that matter). Western has made a point of trying to start fast and to score TDs - at his coaching show a couple of weeks ago Kerwin Bell said that was his emphasis as we left points on the field against both Samford and EKU. No doubt Western continuing what they have done the past 2 weeks - or UTC slowing that down - will be a huge key in this game.

As a long-time WCU fan I have also seen this thing go sideways when Western thought we had a good team and UTC blasted us a couple of times. But this really is not like any of those teams. The Mocs have plenty of athletes, have a good D, and have a couple of really good RBs to go with a very good QB. Milktruck stole my thoughts - I kind of wish Chattanooga would have had an easy game vs Wofford instead of a tough one because I expect them to be even more ready to prove something this coming weekend. I think this one can be a good one, and will give the winner an excellent shot at making the playoffs.

Mocs123
October 2nd, 2023, 08:22 AM
First off, I'll say that I am completely impressed with how quickly Coach Bell has been able to build the Catamount program and to be honest, I didn't think the AD cared enough about football to make that hire in the first place. As someone who has endured years of being at the bottom of the SoCon - often alongside WCU, I'm happy for Catamount fans to have a quality team to cheer for.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to think of this game partly because I feel like the Mocs have been pretty inconsistent. The defense at times has looked utterly dominant, yet a quarter later look totally uninspired - particularly on the back end. I think our defense is as talented as it's been in recent years, but we've had spells where we haven't played that well. If we can limit big plays and keep it a lower scoring game, I like our chances, but if it gets into a shootout, I have to think the advantage goes the other way.

On offense, I think you'll see the Mocs be more balanced than in the past, but we still haven't been explosive. It will be interesting to see how we hold up against what appears to be a really good Catamount defense - something I've not been able to say about a WCU defense in a long, long time.

ElCid
October 2nd, 2023, 08:31 AM
Just like some of the discussions in the polls, this is not the same WCU team or coaches from the past. That is not to say UTC can't or won't win the game, but I fully expect Coach Bell with a much deeper and more athletic team to not lose a game because of a history they don't know about. I don't think past results have anything to do with the 2023 version of WCU (or UTC for that matter). Western has made a point of trying to start fast and to score TDs - at his coaching show a couple of weeks ago Kerwin Bell said that was his emphasis as we left points on the field against both Samford and EKU. No doubt Western continuing what they have done the past 2 weeks - or UTC slowing that down - will be a huge key in this game.

As a long-time WCU fan I have also seen this thing go sideways when Western thought we had a good team and UTC blasted us a couple of times. But this really is not like any of those teams. The Mocs have plenty of athletes, have a good D, and have a couple of really good RBs to go with a very good QB. Milktruck stole my thoughts - I kind of wish Chattanooga would have had an easy game vs Wofford instead of a tough one because I expect them to be even more ready to prove something this coming weekend. I think this one can be a good one, and will give the winner an excellent shot at making the playoffs.

Well, I'm sure the players do know the history. Some teams just have bad runs against some opponents. We've all seen some W/L streaks in the SOCON. UTC had Samford's number big time. They are like 12-3 against Samford since they joined the SOCON. 8-1 over the last nine. Different matchups, coaching style, talent, rivalry feelings, the factors are many. That being said, these streaks can be broken. And WCU is enough changed to do so. But as I said, I'm sure the team knows they are 3-13 over the last 16 games against UTC with one of those wins coming last year. Will it matter? Hopefully, for them, in a good way. Sure what happened 15 years ago doesn't have a direct, specific impact today, but we all know these streaks can impact teams psychologically.

I've watched both teams quite a bit the last few weeks. Lots of talent everywhere. Emotions may be the key.

wcugrad95
October 2nd, 2023, 09:05 AM
I still think the overhaul that Coach Bell has done means the majority of this team doesn't know the history (something like 100 out of 120 players are new to Western in the last 3 years). I am sure people will jump all over this, but I'd guess many of the 40+ players from FL on the Catamount roster had never heard of UTC before they came to Western - many of our best players now are Sophomores. As far as they know, Coach Bell's history against Chatanooga at WCU is 1-1. I honestly don't think the series history will have anything to do with this game as Western has totally different schemes, personnel, and most importantly - expectations.

Does that mean Western wins? I don't know. I just don't expect the ghosts of our past to be what holds us back. I posted this same thing on the UTC message board:

"I honestly wished you guys would have had an easy time at Wofford because I expect the lackluster performance means you will double-down for this week. I also expect you guys to test us with some RPOs and option-looks to make our guys in space make decisions. My early take is this will be more about our offense against your good defense. If Western plays like we have been it will come down to who can score the most. But those big scoring games have come against teams not as good as the Mocs. This should be a good one, and could really come down to which team can find TDs vs FGs in the redzone."

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2023, 09:23 AM
I'd guess many of the 40+ players from FL on the Catamount roster had never heard of UTC before they came to Western
Based on the more than a dozen South Carolina Gamecock undergraduates who asked FUBeAR a few weeks ago if he could tell them where Furman (a D1 school about 100 miles away in the same state as their school…that beat the brakes off of their basketball Team last winter) is located, we can assume 95’s take here is almost certainly correct. One young Gamecock lad even told FUBeAR he was glad to learn where Furman was located since he had applied there. FUBeAR certainly expects that his application was denied…with prejudice.

History & Geography are 2 subjects in which most of our young peoples’ knowledge bases are mostly empty cells.

ElCid
October 2nd, 2023, 09:58 AM
Based on the more than a dozen South Carolina Gamecock undergraduates who asked FUBeAR a few weeks ago if he could tell them where Furman (a D1 school about 100 miles away in the same state as their school…that beat the brakes off of their basketball Team last winter) is located, we can assume 95’s take here is almost certainly correct. One young Gamecock lad even told FUBeAR he was glad to learn where Furman was located since he had applied there. FUBeAR certainly expects that his application was denied…with prejudice.

History & Geography are 2 subjects in which most of our young people’s knowledge bases are mostly empty cells.

Well this isn't 1980. I will freely admit, while a Jr and Sr in HS, I had no idea that most of the schools in the SOCON even existed. I had never heard of The Citadel before I was a Jr. I certainly had never heard of Furman before I showed up to school. Then I found out they sucked, as well. I think the only school I had ever heard of was VMI. I had actually been there in HS. But my God, there is this thing called the internet now. Literally trillions of pieces of data are at nearly everyone's fingertips. But alas, I forgot to account for the subjects in question.

POD Knows
October 2nd, 2023, 10:08 AM
Don't leave. You can't go...all the plants are gonna die.

BTW - Did you see Sam Herder's ballot this week?

South Dakota State
Montana State
Idaho
Furman
Western Carolina
Southern Illinois
Incarnate Word
Sacramento State
South Dakota
North Dakota State

Not sure why he spelled Chattanooga wrong...there's not even an "r," a "d," a "k," an "s," or an "e" in Chattanooga. He needs a new editor or a better spell check app! He also flip-flopped what he meant for #3 & #4, but that seems more like a formatting error than a spelling issue.

https://youtu.be/yBFJLi74OWE?feature=shared
I got NDSU at 9 in my poll. Cats at 6 and I think the Mocs at 16 or something. This is a big game this weekend. I think the Cats roll Chatty but I am wrong OFTEN on this stuff.

Catamount87
October 2nd, 2023, 10:21 AM
No two ways about it, this will definitely be the SoCon Game of the Week and it's also Homecoming for Chatt. Last year WCU won 32-29 in a game that went back and forth. The Cats went on a 75 yard, 13 play drive to score the winning TD with just 53 seconds left in the game. The loss most likely led the the Mocs not making the FCS playoffs. Suffice to say, the Chatt players will be looking to make amends for last year's game.

Some FCS stats as of this morning.

Total Offense
#1 WCU 26 TDs and 528 yards/game
#22 Chatt 18 TDs and 423.6 yards/game

Total Defense
#49 Chatt 11 Opp TDs and 357.8 yards/game
#57 WCU 14 Opp TDs and 368 yards/game

WCU's FCS opponents (4 games) are 6-14
Chatt's FCS opponents (5 games) are 5-21

wcugrad95
October 2nd, 2023, 10:25 AM
I'd feel a lot better if the game was in Cullowhee - WCU is certainly better at home. Redzone production and turnovers will be huge (duh). This game can prove that both teams are good, or that one is a pretender. I honestly think it is going to show that both squads are worthy of being ranked and in playoff consideration. The Mocs have now had 2 head-scratcher games (UNA and Wofford), so I don't expect them to have another one in their very next game. I don't know if AGS would vote it the GOTW, but I'd bet it would get a lot of votes for the most interesting/intriguing game this Saturday.

kdinva
October 2nd, 2023, 10:28 AM
Finley is a hard place to play for anyone.

It's hard playing in a dump anywhere.

Beats old Chamberlin field.

FUBeAR
October 2nd, 2023, 11:05 AM
So does this...
https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/shanty-town-nigeria-johnny-greig.jpg

JSUSoutherner
October 2nd, 2023, 02:20 PM
So does this...
https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/shanty-town-nigeria-johnny-greig.jpg

Haven't seen that shot of Finley before.

Seems like they've really cleaned up the place.

Milktruck74
October 2nd, 2023, 03:06 PM
Haven't seen that shot of Finley before.

Seems like they've really cleaned up the place.

That is Rich...especially coming from a guy that was part of a campaign to raise enough funds for his library to get underpinning! congrats on meeting the fundraising goal!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I wish we still played there.

Milktruck74
October 2nd, 2023, 03:12 PM
Not spending 3+ hours on a bus, sleeping in your own bed, and having your girlfriend rub your (errrr) back the night before a big game goes a long way. These are two very equally matched teams, but being at home, I gotta give the nod to my Mocs! and it is homecomming....at home and homecoming are two notches the Cats have to overcome. Can they? maybe one. not both... Mocs!

blueGOldMOCS
October 2nd, 2023, 03:19 PM
We need our seating to be about that much. What was it, about 10,000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
October 2nd, 2023, 03:52 PM
That is Rich...especially coming from a guy that was part of a campaign to raise enough funds for his library to get underpinning! congrats on meeting the fundraising goal!!!
This library?

https://www.jsu.edu/news/images/library.jpg

Weird that you would bring our library into this.

Though I suppose UTC's cracktower looks similar enough if you squint your eyes and maybe throw some bleach in.

https://wehco.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/timesfreepress/img/photos/2020/01/21/1579651551_IMG_3019--1-_gs_t800.jpg?90232451fbcadccc64a17de7521d859a8f880 77d

ElCid
October 2nd, 2023, 04:25 PM
No two ways about it, this will definitely be the SoCon Game of the Week and it's also Homecoming for Chatt. Last year WCU won 32-29 in a game that went back and forth. The Cats went on a 75 yard, 13 play drive to score the winning TD with just 53 seconds left in the game. The loss most likely led the the Mocs not making the FCS playoffs. Suffice to say, the Chatt players will be looking to make amends for last year's game.

Some FCS stats as of this morning.

Total Offense
#1 WCU 26 TDs and 528 yards/game
#22 Chatt 18 TDs and 423.6 yards/game

Total Defense
#49 Chatt 11 Opp TDs and 357.8 yards/game
#57 WCU 14 Opp TDs and 368 yards/game

WCU's FCS opponents (4 games) are 6-14
Chatt's FCS opponents (5 games) are 5-21

Were the stats updated? I checked last night and it was for 4 games. I checked the box scores for this past game and I ciphered that WCU had a better YPG on D. But it was late.

Catamount87
October 2nd, 2023, 04:33 PM
Were the stats updated? I checked last night and it was for 4 games. I checked the box scores for this past game and I ciphered that WCU had a better YPG on D. But it was late.

I pulled them this morning and they were for games through this past weekend.

ElCid
October 2nd, 2023, 05:49 PM
I pulled them this morning and they were for games through this past weekend.

I just checked the NCAA site. NOT updated yet for Saturday's games. Showing 4 games only. You check another site?

chattownmocs
October 2nd, 2023, 07:18 PM
I thought UTC would be pretty bad this year but they have definitely looked better than I thought the past 4 weeks. I'm not sold on them at all and I would expect losses against all the top teams in the conference, although I do like our QB, and QB play can obviously be an equalizer.

MTfan4life
October 2nd, 2023, 07:53 PM
https://media.tenor.com/v39NutxlUMwAAAAd/what-is-that-what-is-happening.gif

rtzlunar
October 2nd, 2023, 08:02 PM
Good one MTfan4life!

Catamount87
October 3rd, 2023, 10:09 AM
I just checked the NCAA site. NOT updated yet for Saturday's games. Showing 4 games only. You check another site?

I didn't check the individual statistics for updates. What's interesting is I checked just prior to posting this today and Total Offense is current. So for WCU it's for 5 games. But Total Defense is not, they're for games through 9/23. So for WCU that would be 4 games. (my bad as I didn't check it once I saw Total Offense was up to date.) So, WTH is with the NCAA getting some but not all of the stats updated. xconfusedx

FUBeAR
October 3rd, 2023, 10:50 AM
I didn't check the individual statistics for updates. What's interesting is I checked just prior to posting this today and Total Offense is current. So for WCU it's for 5 games. But Total Defense is not, they're for games through 9/23. So for WCU that would be 4 games. (my bad as I didn't check it once I saw Total Offense was up to date.) So, WTH is with the NCAA getting some but not all of the stats updated. xconfusedx
Noticed that yesterday. They had "Individual Punt Returns" updated to 9/30 while "Individual Punt Return TDs" was only updated through 9/23. Still that way.

Maybe the NCAA Stats person hit the transfer portal halfway thru their shift.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2023, 11:44 AM
Stats are still not updated. Which if I did my ciphering correct will show WCU with a better total D in yards allowed. Which is still a good feat compared to UTC historically. Bodes well. We will see if it translate to a win Saturday. Along with a ridiculous O output.

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 04:24 PM
Outside of 2 plays the Mocs have had their way with the Catamounts so far, leading 24-14 with 3:45 left in the 2nd quarter. WCU only staying in it thanks to 55 & 70 yard scoring plays.

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2023, 04:57 PM
27-21 at the half and WCU has looked bad (of course the Mocs have something to do with that). We have to find some answers to the UTC passing game. So far this season our coaches have made good halftime adjustments, and they are going to need to make some really good ones today. Chatty came out looking like they wanted to prove last week was a fluke, but it is still a 1-score game. It could have gotten out of hand, but seems like WCU's offense might be settling in now a little.

And Desmond Reid is as good as any RB in all of FCS. The Mocs know we are going to run him, and he is still churning out yards. I know a 70-yard TD helps, but he would have 83 on his other 12 carries, too. Him and the UTC QB are showing out today.

Also, UTC is a damn good football team. They deserved to be ranked - and probably higher than they were. I expect this is going to be a battle in the 2nd half.

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 05:07 PM
27-21 at the half and WCU has looked bad (of course the Mocs have something to do with that). We have to find some answers to the UTC passing game. So far this season our coaches have made good halftime adjustments, and they are going to need to make some really good ones today. Chatty came out looking like they wanted to prove last week was a fluke, but it is still a 1-score game. It could have gotten out of hand, but seems like WCU's offense might be settling in now a little.

And Desmond Reid is as good as any RB in all of FCS. The Mocs know we are going to run him, and he is still churning out yards. I know a 70-yard TD helps, but he would have 83 on his other 12 carries, too. Him and the UTC QB are showing out today.

Also, UTC is a damn good football team. They deserved to be ranked - and probably higher than they were. I expect this is going to be a battle in the 2nd half.

That drive at the end of the 1st half was big for your offense, marching down the field for a score without needing a big play. Almost gave it back before the half which would’ve been a back breaker, holding them to a FG was big too.

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2023, 05:13 PM
I'll also be ok with a bunch of big plays :)

But I'd trade them for Reid not being hurt. Please be cramps!!!

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 05:15 PM
I'll also be ok with a bunch of big plays :)

But I'd trade them for Reid not being hurt. Please be cramps!!!

Hopefully. That didn’t look good though.

Milktruck74
October 7th, 2023, 05:17 PM
Not Cramps....I hate that for him...

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2023, 05:19 PM
I was trying to be ultra-positive. Certainly looked like a hammy.

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2023, 05:31 PM
I have said in some earlier posts on other boards that WCU's 2nd string RB would be getting a lot more playing time if he wasn't at WCU. All is not lost!!! Problem - we now have to play defense again.

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 05:40 PM
WCU offense is still clicking even without Reid. Looking like a “last team to have the ball wins” type of game.

ElCid
October 7th, 2023, 05:41 PM
WCU taking control now. Their ability to score fast is ridiculous.

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 05:55 PM
Still time in this game for each team to score twice.

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2023, 05:58 PM
It has turned into a basketball game. Seems like a three-pointer from the corner at the buzzer could be the difference.

ElCid
October 7th, 2023, 06:05 PM
Clutch pick 6 for WCU.

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2023, 06:06 PM
This is a heart-attack-inducing game between WCU and UTC. Chase has thrown for over 360 yards, but that is 2 INTs and Western should have probably gotten at least 1 if not 2 others. This is going down to the wire.

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 06:06 PM
Pick 6 for the Catamounts, now lead 49-42 with just under 6 minutes left.

If the Mocs score late in the game I wonder if they go for 2.

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 06:20 PM
Mocs better not score too early here lol

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2023, 06:21 PM
I thought the holding penalty would have included a 10 second runoff. Not that it would matter, but isn't that the rule?

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 06:23 PM
I thought the holding penalty would have included a 10 second runoff. Not that it would matter, but isn't that the rule?

I’m pretty sure it’s only on presnap penalties where the clock was running.

I remember a similar situation last year where I had thought the same thing.

ElCid
October 7th, 2023, 06:24 PM
Gutsy move. Paid off. Lots of time left though.

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 06:25 PM
Wow what a catch!!!!

Can the Mocs D hold on now?

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2023, 06:26 PM
Crazy game. These are two top-20 football teams.

ElCid
October 7th, 2023, 06:28 PM
OMG. CANT BELIEVE WCU IS GOING PULL THIS OFF!

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2023, 06:28 PM
Holy friggin' crap!

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 06:29 PM
Crazy game. These are two top-20 football teams.

Easily top 20.

ElCid
October 7th, 2023, 06:30 PM
Crazy game. What patience and poise by WCU to drive it down like 60 yards in a few seconds to get the go ahead FG. Great walk off win.

Chalupa Batman
October 7th, 2023, 06:38 PM
Crazy game. What patience and poise by WCU to drive it down like 60 yards in a few seconds to get the go ahead FG. Great walk off win.

It looked like they ran the same place twice to get exactly 10 yards each time, and then the Mocs sat on that route and it allowed the receiver to get behind the defense for a big gain on the 3rd play. Excellent execution.

Smitty
October 7th, 2023, 06:38 PM
It has turned into a basketball game. Seems like a three-pointer from the corner at the buzzer could be the difference.

Well you called it.

Don't know how many of these games I can take

ElCid
October 7th, 2023, 06:41 PM
It looked like they ran the same place twice to get exactly 10 yards each time, and then the Mocs sat on that route and it allowed the receiver to get behind the defense for a big gain on the 3rd play. Excellent execution.

I noticed that. Good call. I saw it but didn't put it together at the time. Sucked em right in.

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2023, 06:43 PM
Just totally spent. What a showdown is now brewing between FU and WCU in 2 weeks. I am really glad it is in Cullowhee!

ElCid
October 7th, 2023, 06:54 PM
Just totally spent. What a showdown is now brewing between FU and WCU in 2 weeks. I am really glad it is in Cullowhee!

The week off comes at a good time, unless it saps your momentum. After Furman, Mercer at home might be tough. But not huge obstacle by the looks of things. Then it's clear sailing.

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2023, 07:08 PM
The bye is perfect. Gives Desmond Reid an extra week to rest and recuperate (hopefully).

Mocs123
October 7th, 2023, 08:12 PM
That was the heck of a football game. I said earlier in the week that if it turned into a track meet we'd likely lose, and it was certainly a track meet. That was a really good, well coached team and they just made one or two more plays than the Mocs.

Congratulations to Catamount fans on the win.

Libertine
October 7th, 2023, 08:20 PM
I’m pretty sure it’s only on presnap penalties where the clock was running.

Exactly correct.

wcugrad95
October 7th, 2023, 08:29 PM
Now I started looking at the stats for this game. UTC had the ball for over 41 mins and ran 84 plays. WCU had the ball for less than 19 mins and ran a total of 48 plays.

Think about that - Western scored 52 points (admittedly 6 were from the defense) on 48 plays. The Cats also gained 551 yards on those same 48 offensive plays (11.48 yards per play). We also had 275 rushing yards on 23 carries. That is incredible!