PDA

View Full Version : Grambling AD: Looking to Schedule Jackson St as OOC Foe

TexasTerror
December 3rd, 2007, 09:43 PM
Well...the SWAC mandate does not mean much, even to Grambling, who has intentions on trying to get Jackson St to come to The Rob next year...

Why get rid of the mandate if the SWAC squads are just going to go about scheduling their SWAC conference foes anyway?

Jackson St won't ink the deal though. They've actually been open (unlike Southern -- who I know has turned down an attractive home-and-home against an FCS foe and Grambling -- who apparently wants Jackson St on tap) to play FCS foes in the additional OOC dates. Props to Comegy for actually wanting to play a tough schedule that prepares him for the SWAC slate!

From our boy, Nick Deriso...

But the league's new scheduling matrix, established after scrapping the much-criticized nine-game mandate, removed JSU from Grambling's slate for the next two seasons. That was a potential hit at the gate that GSU athletics director Troy Mathieu is unwilling to withstand.

"I'm getting a home game with Jackson," said Mathieu, who expects to finish out Grambling's 2008 schedule over the next two weeks. "We can't get many games where we match up well and bring that kind of crowd."

So, as enthusiastic as some fans are to see the old mandate scrapped -- after all, why have a SWAC Championship Game if everybody has already played? -- there is a down side.

Yes, Grambling gets a chance to schedule four non-conference opponents instead of two, potentially opening the door for intriguing new matchups. But at risk, at least in the near-term, are dates against some of the school's seminal conference rivals.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2007/12/tiger-pause.html

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 4th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Southern/Grambling/Jackson/Alcorn would be fools not to play with the attendence numbers and tradition those schools have when we play each other. I know SU fans would riot if Jackson or Alcorn wouldn't be on our schedule. Mind your own buisness TT.

TexasTerror
December 4th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Southern/Grambling/Jackson/Alcorn would be fools not to play with the attendence numbers and tradition those schools have when we play each other. I know SU fans would riot if Jackson or Alcorn wouldn't be on our schedule. Mind your own buisness TT.

I'm glad there is plenty of logic behind the move to toss the mandate, then. Plenty of logic...if the SWAC ADs wanted to keep playing their SWAC rivals as OOC games, why get rid of the mandate?

813Jag
December 4th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Well...the SWAC mandate does not mean much, even to Grambling, who has intentions on trying to get Jackson St to come to The Rob next year...

Why get rid of the mandate if the SWAC squads are just going to go about scheduling their SWAC conference foes anyway?

Jackson St won't ink the deal though. They've actually been open (unlike Southern -- who I know has turned down an attractive home-and-home against an FCS foe and Grambling -- who apparently wants Jackson St on tap) to play FCS foes in the additional OOC dates. Props to Comegy for actually wanting to play a tough schedule that prepares him for the SWAC slate!

What foe would that be? Please fill me in......

jstate83
December 4th, 2007, 09:51 AM

We figured this was going to be a problem for JSU when the 7 game mandate kick's in.

With Comegy bringing the team back up to standards and the crowd's returning, nobody in the conference will want to drop us off the schedule and lose that crowd at home.
Southern will get some crying aimed at them as well.

On the flip side.
A matchup between school's that DON'T play each other in the SCG would add more excitement to the mix.

I'm gonna have to wait until more info come's out on who we are trying to schedule in 2008.

813Jag
December 4th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I'm glad there is plenty of logic behind the move to toss the mandate, then. Plenty of logic...if the SWAC ADs wanted to keep playing their SWAC rivals as OOC games, why get rid of the mandate?
Jackson State and Alcorn will be SWAC games for Southern this year, so that's no big deal. Who'll fill that seventh spot will either be Valley or Alabama State.

mikebigg
December 4th, 2007, 10:18 AM

Will SHSU be willing to come to Grambling next season? Can you think of any school at this late date who would be willing to come to Grambling for a 1 game deal? The SWAC office released the "schedule matrix" at such a late date that it put us in a bind (for scheduling a home game). We do have a budget to balance and we need an attractive home game opponent. If you know anyone willing to come to Grambling in place of JSU why don't you have them call Mr. Matthieu.

McNeese_beat
December 4th, 2007, 10:54 AM

I can understand where Grambling is coming from. For some of the more lucrative games played in the SWAC, the conference should have gone out of their way to make sure those games remained annual events, imo. If that means that JSU and, say, UA-Pine Bluff never play, than so be it.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 4th, 2007, 10:59 AM
There is a 7 game mandate in the SWAC right?
There are 5 teams in each division right?
Each team must play 4 divisional games right?
Therefore, each team must play 3 teams from the opposing division right?
What's the problem here?

McNeese_beat
December 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Will SHSU be willing to come to Grambling next season? Can you think of any school at this late date who would be willing to come to Grambling for a 1 game deal? The SWAC office released the "schedule matrix" at such a late date that it put us in a bind (for scheduling a home game). We do have a budget to balance and we need an attractive home game opponent. If you know anyone willing to come to Grambling in place of JSU why don't you have them call Mr. Matthieu.

I know at least one Grambling alum in town who was trying to work a deal out for a one-time McNeese/GSU game at Indy Stadium for 2008...don't know if it gained any traction.

McNeese already is committed to going to South Dakota State (back half of a home-and-home) and I assume a money game (I hear at North Carolina, but that hasn't been confirmed). Next year is a 4-road game year in conference (7 conference games), so that gives McNeese 6 road games.

I'm guessing that's why this fella is/was (I haven't talked to him in over a month) pushing for a game in Shreveport...it wouldn't be a road game and McNeese could gain some proceeds as well from some sort of gate split.

With a 12-game schedule, maybe McNeese and Grambling will be pushed in that direction...I'm not holding my breath though. I think both sides would prefer home games.

TexasTerror
December 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
SHSU has four SLC home games plus one OOC game (Big South foe) at home. On the road, three SLC games plus Kansas. That's nine games in our schedule. Not sure about the rest at this point...we do know we have North Dakota St and Western Illinois at home in 2009...

As far as scheduling a SWAC school, SHSU is all for it! We did a home-and-home with Valley a few years back. Would love to see a deal with Prairie View A&M since they seem to have upgraded their program. Not sure where we'd play at Texas Southern -- do not think SHSU would want to play at TxSo. We do have a home-and-home with them in MBB. Short trip, easy win. ;)

Another SWAC point -- why is it always so hard to get information on your schools? Some of the web sites (not just TxSo, but Alcorn as well, for instance) just lack information completely. How hard is it to throw up a two, three paragraph game summary? You'd think Alcorn State hasn't really played, outside of their stats page -- they got nothing! (http://alcornsports.com/sport_m_basketball.php). How do you recruit players like this?

813Jag
December 4th, 2007, 02:34 PM
SHSU has four SLC home games plus one OOC game (Big South foe) at home. On the road, three SLC games plus Kansas. That's nine games in our schedule. Not sure about the rest at this point...we do know we have North Dakota St and Western Illinois at home in 2009...

As far as scheduling a SWAC school, SHSU is all for it! We did a home-and-home with Valley a few years back. Would love to see a deal with Prairie View A&M since they seem to have upgraded their program. Not sure where we'd play at Texas Southern -- do not think SHSU would want to play at TxSo. We do have a home-and-home with them in MBB. Short trip, easy win. ;)

Another SWAC point -- why is it always so hard to get information on your schools? Some of the web sites (not just TxSo, but Alcorn as well, for instance) just lack information completely. How hard is it to throw up a two, three paragraph game summary? You'd think Alcorn State hasn't really played, outside of their stats page -- they got nothing! (http://alcornsports.com/sport_m_basketball.php). How do you recruit players like this?
I've been trying to get an answer from you on something. You mentioned in your first post about Southern turning down a home and home with an FCS foe. Who was this team? xconfusedx

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I've been trying to get an answer from you on something. You mentioned in your first post about Southern turning down a home and home with an FCS foe. Who was this team? xconfusedx

He's talking about McNeese. They aren't the only one's who have asked and got turned down :D . They all want our crowd, seems to me thats the only way they can field their stadiums. SU owns attendence records at Northwestern and Nicholls. SU will play U of H in 08 and ULL in 09.

TexasTerror
December 4th, 2007, 05:28 PM
He's talking about McNeese. They aren't the only one's who have asked and got turned down :D . They all want our crowd, seems to me thats the only way they can field their stadiums. SU owns attendence records at Northwestern and Nicholls. SU will play U of H in 08 and ULL in 09.

Not McNeese -- it was a team that offered Southern a home-and-home. Then, when Southern declined that, they threw in a guarantee in addition to home-and-home...declined...xnonono2x

McNeese draws fine without Southern...xrulesx

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 4th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Not McNeese -- it was a team that offered Southern a home-and-home. Then, when Southern declined that, they threw in a guarantee in addition to home-and-home...declined...xnonono2x

McNeese draws fine without Southern...xrulesxYou know how many schools FBS and FCS schools contact SU about playing. They all know SU has fans that will travel and pack their stadium out. We can't play every Tom, Dick, and Harry that contacts us about playing.

813Jag
December 4th, 2007, 08:06 PM

McNeese draws fine without Southern...xrulesx
I'm honestly interested in the answer. I guess you're just gonna be cryptic about the whole thing.

Retro
December 4th, 2007, 09:20 PM
The SWAC schools have to figure out how to do a better job of balancing the books without big money or attendance games all the time, while at the same time improving the quality of their programs by playing better quality and different FCS teams more often...

Let's face it, some in the SWAC say all they care about is attendance and money, but it's killing your programs from being competitive at the FCS level outside of your own conference. The whole purpose of having a football team is to win games and prove your the best each week not only withing your conference, but OOC and maybe one day (in the swac's case) actually play for a national championship.

Nearly every FCS teams needs at least 1 money game a year to give them a boost or 6 home games, if they have good attendance, say 10,000 plus, on a regular basis... If they have that, they usually will finish the season in the black financially if they have good financial management of the program and are not overspending for every road game. If Grambling has 5-6 Home games per year with over 10,000 attendance, they should be fine, unless they are giving away too many free tickets or sending the band on every conference road trip, which may be part of the financial problem.xnonox

TexasTerror
December 4th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Let's face it, some in the SWAC say all they care about is attendance and money, but it's killing your programs from being competitive at the FCS level outside of your own conference. The whole purpose of having a football team is to win games and prove your the best each week not only withing your conference, but OOC and maybe one day (in the swac's case) actually play for a national championship.

Realists within their program(s) realize this. There was mention of this on SWACPage. MikeBigg himself mentioned it...

Plus you have to factor in that yes our (SWAC) fanbase is dwindling because a lot of folk see it as an inferior brand of football. We promote our games now based on legacy, pride, and the Black College Football experience... apparently that ain't enuff to get the turnouts we desire.

If Grambling has 5-6 Home games per year with over 10,000 attendance, they should be fine, unless they are giving away too many free tickets or sending the band on every conference road trip, which may be part of the financial problem.xnonox

Fact is, Grambling may only have three home games a year because they play UAPB in Little Rock, PVA&M in Dallas and Southern in New Orleans. They hit the road for what would be one or two home games each year. They establish no consistency with their fan base.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 5th, 2007, 10:05 PM
The SWAC schools have to figure out how to do a better job of balancing the books without big money or attendance games all the time, while at the same time improving the quality of their programs by playing better quality and different FCS teams more often...

Nearly every FCS teams needs at least 1 money game a year to give them a boost or 6 home games, if they have good attendance, say 10,000 plus, on a regular basis... If they have that, they usually will finish the season in the black financially if they have good financial management of the program and are not overspending for every road game. If Grambling has 5-6 Home games per year with over 10,000 attendance, they should be fine, unless they are giving away too many free tickets or sending the band on every conference road trip, which may be part of the financial problem.xnonox
You sound like a complete idiot. Why should we stop our traditional games that our fans want to see. Football is about buisness first. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. If our product is so bad why are yall always calling Swac schools begging us to play. Stop looking for

.....http://www.nelsoncitydancehall.com/photos/WelfareSign.jpg . Just face it, you don't understand our traditions.

TexasTerror
December 5th, 2007, 10:17 PM
If our product is so bad why are yall always calling Swac schools begging us to play. Stop looking for

Two reasons -- SWAC wins count as Div I wins towards the playoffs...and you guys aren't far away from our schools.

SLC schools continue to schedule themselves "out" of the playoffs due to too many FBS and sub-Div I games. One of the main reasons outside of the hurricanes of recent years has been the fact we do not have a willing partner in the SWAC that will work with us to fill our schedule as it relates to football -- as they have in other sports. We also have the issue that most of the FCS world outside of the Big Sky, GWFC and the xDSUs has no interest in traveling to SLC schools due to the availability of schools closer to them...

jstate83
December 6th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I just want the mandate gone.
2008 will be an adjustment year for everyone.

2009 is when people will show how they will schedule fore year's to come.
There will be no excuse's then.

As for JSU, we got 4 slot's.
2 are taken by Tennessee St and Northwestern Louisiana for 2008 and 2009.

That leaves 2 spot's open which has not been announced yet.
JSU and USM was talking about a 4 game series last year for a 2008 start.
That's still up in the air as of now since Bower will be gone.............. xnodx

On a personal note:
I hope them damm OKRA's from Delta State is on there for at least 2 years.
We owe them big time.xlolx

SU Jag
December 6th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Wake up! Go look at out OCC record this past year. With coaches, facilities , and staffs being upgraded the conference is getting stronger all around. We put the woof to the other conferences that were so called better than us, I dont see you bashing their schedules. O yeah, the bands in our conference have their own seperate budget, thats why we're able to travel.

McNeese_beat
December 6th, 2007, 10:24 AM
You sound like a complete idiot. Why should we stop our traditional games that our fans want to see. Football is about buisness first. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. If our product is so bad why are yall always calling Swac schools begging us to play. Stop looking for

.....http://www.nelsoncitydancehall.com/photos/WelfareSign.jpg . Just face it, you don't understand our traditions.

That's a pretty funny picture. where is Welfare, or is that photoshopped?

Seriously, I don't think McNeese is in any need to play any particular opponent because its books are balancing just fine. They'll draw 13-15k next year for Cal Poly and they can thrive on that kind of attendance. One pay day (guarantee game) a year is all it probably needs. It's just frustrating when you are isolated in your Division like the SLC is and you have teams playing at the same level in your state, but they generally don't play you.

From the other end, Southern and Grambling need to play regional foes to re-affirm their credibility amongst recruits. Grambling did itself some good by competing well with ULM the week before the Warhawks beat Alabama. The SWAC schools are fighting the perception that they are inferior to the Southland and that affects recruiting. The only way to change that perception is on the field.

Plus, these games are as cost-efficient for the SWACs as they are for the SLCs. So it's not welfare by any stretch. It's win-win.

89Hen
December 6th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Southern/Grambling/Jackson/Alcorn would be fools not to play with the attendence numbers and tradition those schools have when we play each other. I know SU fans would riot if Jackson or Alcorn wouldn't be on our schedule.
Agreed. There are a couple of opponents that when left off the conference slate should be kept on the schedule. Had Delaware and Villanova been split up by the conference, I'd imagine they would have played every year anyway. xpeacex

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Wake up! Go look at out OCC record this past year. With coaches, facilities , and staffs being upgraded the conference is getting stronger all around. We put the woof to the other conferences that were so called better than us, I dont see you bashing their schedules. O yeah, the bands in our conference have their own seperate budget, thats why we're able to travel.

SWAC taking it to OVC and MEAC...struggling against sub-Div I teams

Alabama A&M - 2-0 (both sub-Div I)
Alabama St - 1-1 (W-Jax St, L-Tuskegee)
Alcorn - 0-1 (FBS - UAB)
Ark-PB - 0-2 (S Illinois, NM St)
Grambling - 0-2 (ULM, Pitt -- still surprised such a "good" Grambling team lost to ULM)
Jackson St - 0-2 (Div II Delta St, FCS Tenn St)
Miss Valley St - 1-1 (blownout by NDSU, victory over "also-ran" Sav St)
PVA&M - 1-0 (Win over hapless NCA&T)
Southern 2-0 (FAMU and Ten St)
TxSo - 0-2 (UTEP and Houston)

jstate83
December 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Alcorn - 0-1 (FBS - UAB)
Grambling - 0-2 (ULM, Pitt -- still surprised such a "good" Grambling team lost to ULM)

Didn't ya'll get your arse kicked by NDSU also.
We all knew Valley was not strong but the great SHSU is supposed to be head and shoulder's above.
How on Earth did the great SHSU lose to NDSU like lowely Valley. xlolx

Didn't SFA lose to Delta State also?
Just asking.

Heck....................Ya'll escaped with a 7 point win over the OKRA 38-31.
The great SHSU should have blown them out instead of struggling. xlolx

The 2 times Texas State played them they escaped with 7 point wins:
32-25 and 17-10 so your conference has not been exactly steamrollin' the sub-par competition either.

MACHIAVELLI
December 6th, 2007, 02:13 PM
From the other end, Southern and Grambling need to play regional foes to re-affirm their credibility amongst recruits. The SWAC schools are fighting the perception that they are inferior to the Southland and that affects recruiting.

Lies, lies and more lies.

BgJag
December 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM
From the other end, Southern and Grambling need to play regional foes to re-affirm their credibility amongst recruits. ...

Plus, these games are as cost-efficient for the SWACs as they are for the SLCs. So it's not welfare by any stretch. It's win-win.

Not sure we need to right now, hell for 20 years we played Nicholls and 10 of those years we had NWST on the schedule. We was playing "2" SLC school in the same season, not what our fans wanted to see. I'm not against playing the in-state SLC teams, don't come up in here like y'all always wanted to play us in the past. Because your conference loss some members and had more OOC games to schedule is when y'all showed interest. We playing you home - home benefits you more than us. We finally got FAMU & TnST back on our schedule just what the fans wanted. I wouldn't mine paying Tuskegee to come to Mumford because I'm not worried about our SOS, we never have and never will participate in the playoff unless somethings change. Back to regional, most of our OOC games are money games, so much for the need. Hope we can fit y'all in soon. xpeacex

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Didn't ya'll get your arse kicked by NDSU also.

SHSU lost after giving up a last-second TD after leading late in the fourth quarter...game was at home, SHSU wins.

Didn't SFA lose to Delta State also? Just asking.

Lost to Tarleton State and everyone else on their schedule...

Heck....................Ya'll escaped with a 7 point win over the OKRA 38-31. The great SHSU should have blown them out instead of struggling. xlolx

We have not played Delta State in recent memory. Not sure what you are referring to. Our sub-Div I games included two wins over sub-Div I teams by an average of 23 points.

The 2 times Texas State played them they escaped with 7 point wins:
32-25 and 17-10 so your conference has not been exactly steamrollin' the sub-par competition either.

Our conference does have a strong record against sub-Div I teams. Ultimately, it's about winning. If you add up all the fall sports (FB, VB and Soc), the SWAC barely cracks .500 (if not falls below). In fact, I've seen a SWAC school get blown out by a sub-Div I school over the last two years. That's a shame! Standards...the SWAC lacks standards.

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM

How is the SWAC being inferior to the SLC, a lie? The SLC has dominated the SWAC across the board -- even this year, I think it's an 11-3 edge in the basketballs. Baseball, the SLC has won over 80% of their games against the SWAC. That's domination!

BgJag
December 6th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Alcorn - 0-1 (FBS - UAB)

AAMU beat TennSt & Clark, didn't know TSU moved down. xreadx

McNeese_beat
December 6th, 2007, 04:09 PM

How is that a lie? Was McNeese's home-and-home sweep of Grambling in 02 and 03 a lie? I think that was the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
xrulesx
And the fact that maybe the worst team in McNeese history (2004) went to the Bluff and put it on Southern by 18 on the road is the truth. And that's the week before McNeese gave up 51 to, ahem, Southeastern Louisiana. So how bad did the SWAC look after that fiasco?

So it's all the TRUTH. But as they say, some people can't handle the truth...

McNeese_beat
December 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Not sure we need to right now, hell for 20 years we played Nicholls and 10 of those years we had NWST on the schedule. We was playing "2" SLC school in the same season, not what our fans wanted to see. I'm not against playing the in-state SLC teams, don't come up in here like y'all always wanted to play us in the past. Because your conference loss some members and had more OOC games to schedule is when y'all showed interest. We playing you home - home benefits you more than us. We finally got FAMU & TnST back on our schedule just what the fans wanted. I wouldn't mine paying Tuskegee to come to Mumford because I'm not worried about our SOS, we never have and never will participate in the playoff unless somethings change. Back to regional, most of our OOC games are money games, so much for the need. Hope we can fit y'all in soon. xpeacex

I understand where you're coming from. I just think the longer Southern goes without playing for any kind of post-season or making an effort to measure itself up against the mainstream of its division, the more the product will deteriorate on the field.

Look at the first few years of the Northwestern series vs. the last few years of the series. In the mid-80s, the current SLC (back then most were in the Gulf Star Conference) and the SWAC were very similar. Now, a win by a top SWAC over a mediocre SLC would be considered an upset.

And the SLC is down.xcoffeex

jstate83
December 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM
We have not played Delta State in recent memory. Not sure what you are referring to. Our sub-Div I games included two wins over sub-Div I teams by an average of 23 points.

Just listing the opponent's you listed.
Ya'll played them in 1999.

They also kicked Central Arkansas arse 52-21 in 2000 the year the won the D2 Championship.

Our conference does have a strong record against sub-Div I teams. Ultimately, it's about winning. If you add up all the fall sports (FB, VB and Soc), the SWAC barely cracks .500 (if not falls below). In fact, I've seen a SWAC school get blown out by a sub-Div I school over the last two years. That's a shame! Standards...the SWAC lacks standards.

Man.
The only team to get blown out by a D2 team in the SWAC is Valley.
Hell.................Everybody blow's them out.xlolx

And SHSU playing teams like the BACONE Warrior's beating them 77-7 ain't shat. xlolx

The SWAC lack's standards yet you here every 2 hour's with new thread's.
If we lack standards, why you so interested? xlolx

MACHIAVELLI
December 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeese_beat

From the other end, Southern and Grambling need to play regional foes to re-affirm their credibility amongst recruits. The SWAC schools are fighting the perception that they are inferior to the Southland and that affects recruiting.

Where is your proof that THE ICON needs to play regional foes to re-affirm our credibility?

BgJag
December 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Now, a win by a top SWAC over a mediocre SLC would be considered an upset.

And the SLC is down.xcoffeex

Like E. Washington win in the first round? xcoffeex xpeacex

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2007, 05:47 PM
The only team to get blown out by a D2 team in the SWAC is Valley.

Hell.................Everybody blow's them out.xlolx

Was not talking about football, talking across the board -- where the SWAC does not measure up well against Div IIs. I've seen a SWAC school get dropped by an NAIA -- was not pretty. If an SLC squad ever lost to an NAIA, there'd be trouble to be had, but that has not happened. The SWAC loses to sub-Div Is in sports consistently. Substandard SWAC. I had the numbers on here, but it was removed.

Football - SWAC dropped two of three to Sub-Div I
Soccer - Sub-Div I teams won 11 of 14
Volleyball - SWAC won nine while dropping six to Sub Div I teams

Through first three sports -- Sub-Div I 19-13 SWAC.

The SWAC lack's standards yet you here every 2 hour's with new thread's. If we lack standards, why you so interested? xlolx

Don't have new threads every two hours. Just bring out the same message in hopes some one from the SWAC will learn -- they are not all they are cracked up to be and have not yet proved it...

BgJag
December 6th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Was not talking about football, talking across the board -- where the SWAC does not measure up well against Div IIs. I've seen a SWAC school get dropped by an NAIA -- was not pretty. If an SLC squad ever lost to an NAIA, there'd be trouble to be had, but that has not happened. The SWAC loses to sub-Div Is in sports consistently. Substandard SWAC. I had the numbers on here, but it was removed.

Football - SWAC dropped two of three to Sub-Div I
Soccer - Sub-Div I teams won 11 of 14
Volleyball - SWAC won nine while dropping six to Sub Div I teams

Through first three sports -- Sub-Div I 19-13 SWAC.

Don't have new threads every two hours. Just bring out the same message in hopes some one from the SWAC will learn -- they can not hang with sub-Div Is...

some school don't care about title IX sports and some do because they are not profitable. For the life of me I don't understand why you "care" about what the SWAC is or isn't doing. We play in the same divison in football and choose not to play in the playoff, when was the last time SHSU played in the playoff. At the end of the day your school aint no better than most of the SWAC, the team uniforms are turned in about now. We have two teams still playing. Btw TnSt is still in the FCS. xcoffeex xpeacex

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2007, 06:51 PM
some school don't care about title IX sports and some do because they are not profitable. For the life of me I don't understand why you "care" about what the SWAC is or isn't doing. We play in the same divison in football and choose not to play in the playoff, when was the last time SHSU played in the playoff. At the end of the day your school aint no better than most of the SWAC, the team uniforms are turned in about now. We have two teams still playing. Btw TnSt is still in the FCS. xcoffeex xpeacex

2004 - semifinals, thanks! ;)

As it relates to Title IX sports...you may not care about them, but they are part of your athletic department and can bring you some nice credibility if they do well -- see Prairie View A&M WBB.

Hard to say if SHSU is better than the SWAC considering the fact we have not met a SWAC school in sometime (since our back to back whoopings of Valley). It'd be nice if TxSo played someone outside of FBS for OOC games -- may see that when the mandate falls.

PVA&M and SHSU are reportedly working on something and that's good for both schools. Not sure if the PV end would take place in PV or in Houston, or if both games would take place in Houston. Either way works!

Southern and Grambling are better off playing La. schools and Ark-PB is going to hook it up with UCA (despite the issue from a few years back). The 'Bama schools and Mississippi schools are a bit out of the way as it relates to SLC schools.

SWAC will need SLC to fill their OOC -- we're seeing that. SLC needs SWAC as it's cheaper for us (as it relates to travel) and it is a Div I game (so we don't schedule ourselves out of the playoffs), one which we will come out on top of, more times than not.

Outside of football, the SLC doesn't mind playing the SWAC, because more times than not, it's a win against a Div I foe. It's also easy for travel -- especially in sports like baseball and softball where you need that midweek game and an opportunity to rest your starters (in the case of the premiere bat and ball sport schools)...

Mr. Tiger
December 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
SWAC taking it to OVC and MEAC...struggling against sub-Div I teams xconfusedx

Alabama A&M - 2-0 (Tenn. State and sub Division I)
Alcorn - 0-1 (FBS - UAB)

The only loses to sub Division I teams was Delta State who went to the D2playoffs and Tuskegee, a rivalry game that ended in OT with a score of
64-58.

Didn't the SLC have TWO sub. Div. I losses? Tarleton State over SFA. Abilene Christian over Texas State.

TexasTerror
December 6th, 2007, 08:11 PM
The only loses to sub Division I teams was Delta State who went to the D2playoffs and Tuskegee, a rivalry game that ended in OT with a score of
64-58.

Didn't the SLC have TWO sub. Div. I losses? Tarleton State over SFA. Abilene Christian over Texas State.

I made a typo -- I apologize, but the fact of the matter is -- the conference struggles against sub-Div I competition, across all sports!

Men's Basketball is a bit better -- Grambling has that loss against Texas College, Southern dropped one to Paul Quinn. On the Women's side, Grambling fell to NAIA Xavier at Xavier and Langston. Not bad. SLC has no sub-Div I losses this year in hoops.

ESPN brought up the SWAC recently as it relates to basketball in a story about Dusquesne..

A winter storm had cancelled their flight home after a tournament at Drake. Out of alternatives, the Dukes piled aboard a bus early Sunday morning in Des Moines, Iowa, for a cramp-inducing, rain-soaked, 800-mile drive back to Pittsburgh. There had been no time to find even some DVDs to play on the bus, so the plan was to sleep, stop for some occasional fast food and watch the asphalt melt away. It worked fine except for the 90-minute delay caused when a passenger car sideswiped the bus, which bashed in a luggage compartment and officially made this trip worse than a typical SWAC roadie.

BgJag
December 6th, 2007, 08:39 PM
2004 - semifinals, thanks! ;)

As it relates to Title IX sports...you may not care about them, but they are part of your athletic department and can bring you some nice credibility if they do well -- see Prairie View A&M WBB.

Hard to say if SHSU is better than the SWAC considering the fact we have not met a SWAC school in sometime (since our back to back whoopings of Valley). It'd be nice if TxSo played someone outside of FBS for OOC games -- may see that when the mandate falls.

PVA&M and SHSU are reportedly working on something and that's good for both schools. Not sure if the PV end would take place in PV or in Houston, or if both games would take place in Houston. Either way works!

Southern and Grambling are better off playing La. schools and Ark-PB is going to hook it up with UCA (despite the issue from a few years back). The 'Bama schools and Mississippi schools are a bit out of the way as it relates to SLC schools.

SWAC will need SLC to fill their OOC -- we're seeing that. SLC needs SWAC as it's cheaper for us (as it relates to travel) and it is a Div I game (so we don't schedule ourselves out of the playoffs), one which we will come out on top of, more times than not.

Outside of football, the SLC doesn't mind playing the SWAC, because more times than not, it's a win against a Div I foe. It's also easy for travel -- especially in sports like baseball and softball where you need that midweek game and an opportunity to rest your starters (in the case of the premiere bat and ball sport schools)...

I never said "I" didn't care about title IX sports. Since you like to group the SWAC instead of singling out a specfic I used a general term. I said "some school", not mine. Because at my school we expect to win in all sports, some are glad to field a team and compete. Not all school are created equal. For the sake of this discussion let keep it as it relates to football, because I don't come over here to know who beat whom in jacks and marbles. You and others keep using the SWAC "need" THE SLC to fill OOC games. Maybe some will and others won't. I won't say we won't occassionally play them especially when there's a 12 game year and that's what...ever 4 years? We have 4 OOC now, FAMU@home, TnST-away, UofH-away, that leaves 1 more game to schedule and guess where we are trying to play it? Have your team played in Baton Rouge lately? The 2 Louisiana school and JSU shouldn't have to difficult of a time getting games scheduled, as for the others time will tell. Like you said they will need the SLC. Who do the SLC needs? xthumbsupx

McNeese_beat
December 6th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Where is your proof that THE ICON needs to play regional foes to re-affirm our credibility?

The fact that when you take the field against non-SWAC D-I competition, you get exposed.

You don't think that fact doesn't wind up in the living room of potential recruits? It does and if you don't think that carries weight, you're wrong.

And like I said, the only thing you can do to change that perception is take it out on the field. Good start this year playing Monroe.

McNeese_beat
December 6th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Like E. Washington win in the first round? xcoffeex xpeacex

xlolx xlolx xbowx xbowx

Good one...

That earned Eastern Washington a little credibility that the SWAC currently lacks collectively...

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2007, 08:00 AM
That earned Eastern Washington a little credibility that the SWAC currently lacks collectively...

Hey now -- the SWAC has wins over the MEAC and OVC. Those are two tough conferences -- even if neither one has a playoff win since the turn of the century...which isn't too bad, considering the SWAC's 0-19 run, which is exactly why they are perceived as better conferences than the SWAC. xthumbsupx

When was the last SWAC win over an SLC?

McNeese_beat
December 7th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Hey now -- the SWAC has wins over the MEAC and OVC. Those are two tough conferences -- even if neither one has a playoff win since the turn of the century...which isn't too bad, considering the SWAC's 0-19 run, which is exactly why they are perceived as better conferences than the SWAC. xthumbsupx

When was the last SWAC win over an SLC?

I'm remembering a Grambling win over Nicholls in about 2001 or so

MACHIAVELLI
December 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Hey now -- the SWAC has wins over the MEAC and OVC. Those are two tough conferences -- even if neither one has a playoff win since the turn of the century...which isn't too bad, considering the SWAC's 0-19 run, which is exactly why they are perceived as better conferences than the SWAC.

Yet you want to play us.

MACHIAVELLI
December 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM
The fact that when you take the field against non-SWAC D-I competition, you get exposed.

You don't think that fact doesn't wind up in the living room of potential recruits? It does and if you don't think that carries weight, you're wrong.

And like I said, the only thing you can do to change that perception is take it out on the field. Good start this year playing Monroe.

What is your definition of exposed? I believe the ICON is 8-3 versus non SWAC d-1 since 2000. Are you brand new? You might save yourself some embarrassment by doing a Google search?

McNeese_beat
December 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM
What is your definition of exposed? I believe the ICON is 8-3 versus non SWAC d-1 since 2000. Are you brand new? You might save yourself some embarrassment by doing a Google search?

What non-SWAC D-Is are you playing? I counted two losses this year (Pitt and ULM) and two losses to McNeese in 02 and 03...that's four right there. If you mean non-SWAC FCSs, then I ask again, who are you playing?

If you are playing OVCs and MEACs, well that's not all that impressive.

And, those losses to McNeese still hang over y'all...that was a pretty good SWAC team in 2002 that got run off the field by 31 in Lake Charles...I remember the impression was "if that's the best the SWAC has to offer..."

MACHIAVELLI
December 7th, 2007, 12:10 PM
What non-SWAC D-Is are you playing? I counted two losses this year (Pitt and ULM) and two losses to McNeese in 02 and 03...that's four right there. If you mean non-SWAC FCSs, then I ask again, who are you playing?

If you are playing OVCs and MEACs, well that's not all that impressive.

And, those losses to McNeese still hang over y'all...that was a pretty good SWAC team in 2002 that got run off the field by 31 in Lake Charles...I remember the impression was "if that's the best the SWAC has to offer..."

I thought you were speaking of FCS D1's only. But Google is your friend.

McNeese_beat
December 7th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I thought you were speaking of FCS D1's only. But Google is your friend.

I count 6-3 since 2001 (the SWAC site doesn't go back further). It may be 5-3, depending on if Savannah State was Division I both times you played them...

And congratulations on those program-building wins over Savannah State, by the way. I don't suppose you need to schedule anyone else if you've got Savannah State on your schedule...

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Mr. Tiger
December 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Some of you act as if the Southland is among the FCS elite. The truth is the SLC hasn't had much recent success in the playoffs. To me, it is the Colonel, Gateway, Southern Conference, and everyone else, including the SWAC, Southland, MEAC, and OVC.

jstate83
December 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Man.
They still on the SWAC nutt's. xlolx

Cluck this.

Got hotel reservation's in B-Ham yet Mr. Tiger?
All they have left is 2 bedroom suite's.

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Alcorn State fell to Tougaloo in men's hoops last night...86-73 at home. How embarrassing!

Tougaloo is not known for having a strong program by any means (fell to some school named Wesley College prior to this game). Don't expect to read any game story as Alcorn State does not even acknowledge that the game was played on their site...

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Some of you act as if the Southland is among the FCS elite. The truth is the SLC hasn't had much recent success in the playoffs. To me, it is the Colonel, Gateway, Southern Conference, and everyone else, including the SWAC, Southland, MEAC, and OVC.

SLC is in a middle tier if you ask me. They have not had the success of the CAA, Gateway or SoCon, but can not compare to the MEAC, SWAC and OVC.

SLC has had three different teams make the semifinals (McN in 2003, SHSU in 2004 and TxSt in 2005) plus, prior to this recent stretch, was consistently getting multiple bids to the playoffs. The Patriot League is somewhere between the SLC and the MEAC/OVC...

Yet you want to play us.

Div I wins. That's what it's about to get to the playoffs. The travel is not bad and our teams have problems scheduling -- since we have no one that is geographically close outside of the SWAC, who had the mandate. Guess, you can't read as it's been mentioned numerous times. We're not using you for your "attendance" or what not, we just want the 'W' (which will occur more times than not -- as seen across the board) and shorter travel time..

McNeese_beat
December 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM

I'd say you are right about the top three, but considering the SLC's record against the Southland in the last 10 years or so, I don't know if I'd put the SLC and SWAC in the same class.

I think five years ago, there was a "Big Five" with the Colonial (A-10 back then), Southern, Gateway, Big Sky and Southland). I think the Big Five has now clearly been tiered with the Big Three, followed by the Big Sky and Southland...and then I think the rest are still behind.

And I think you have to include the Great West among the top leagues, but next year two of its three strongest members are jumping ship...meaning that the Gateway will be THE strongest conference next year, in my book.

McNeese_beat
December 7th, 2007, 03:40 PM
SLC is in a middle tier if you ask me. They have not had the success of the CAA, Gateway or SoCon, but can not compare to the MEAC, SWAC and OVC.

SLC has had three different teams make the semifinals (McN in 2003, SHSU in 2004 and TxSt in 2005) plus, prior to this recent stretch, was consistently getting multiple bids to the playoffs. The Patriot League is somewhere between the SLC and the MEAC/OVC...

Div I wins. That's what it's about to get to the playoffs. The travel is not bad and our teams have problems scheduling -- since we have no one that is geographically close outside of the SWAC, who had the mandate. Guess, you can't read as it's been mentioned numerous times. We're not using you for your "attendance" or what not, we just want the 'W' (which will occur more times than not -- as seen across the board) and shorter travel time..

My thing is state and regional rivalries. In this day and age of expensive air travel and the loss of regional rivalries, I think it's time for some people to take the lead in re-creating old rivalries or building new ones that involve little travel and natural interest.

McTailGator
December 7th, 2007, 05:08 PM

McNeese wants two things.

THE EASY WIN and what is rightfully ours in the 2nd half of the home and home deal that your school broke.

McNeese is now going to the legislature to FORCE Southern to honor the contract. Get ready to get pissed off. Cause it's coming, and we won't be as willing to send as many cheap tickets as we would have been,

BgJag
December 7th, 2007, 06:54 PM
. We're not using you for your "attendance" or what not, we just want the 'W' (which will occur more times than not -- as seen across the board) and shorter travel time..

xnonox xlolx xlolx xlolx stop lying! When you said it's not about attendance...it's about attendance. I do occasionally read other boards.xreadx xcoffeex

BgJag
December 7th, 2007, 06:57 PM
McNeese is now going to the legislature to FORCE Southern to honor the contract. Get ready to get pissed off. Cause it's coming, and we won't be as willing to send as many cheap tickets as we would have been,

You can't get LSU to play you and how in the hell you going get us to?xeyebrowx xbawlingx

btw, we need another home game next year...xrulesx

TexasTerror
December 7th, 2007, 07:28 PM
xnonox xlolx xlolx xlolx stop lying! When you said it's not about attendance...it's about attendance. I do occasionally read other boards.xreadx xcoffeex

A Div I win > Attendance

SHSU fans care more about getting seven Div I wins than attendance. Wins bring attendance. Our fans will show up against SFA and TxSt-San Marcos. They've come out for Montana, not sure a TxSo or PV would help draw...

Mr. Tiger
December 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Man.
They still on the SWAC nutt's. xlolx

Cluck this.

Got hotel reservation's in B-Ham yet Mr. Tiger?
All they have left is 2 bedroom suite's.

I wish. I will be stuck here in Connecticut xnonono2x. I will fly home to Mississippi for the holidays. I won't miss the next one in 2008. xnodx

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Just like yall were going to sue us huh. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Retro
December 7th, 2007, 10:23 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Just like yall were going to sue us huh. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Nah, We're going to take care of it the old fashion way.. We're going to kick your ass on the field so everyone can see for themselves!xlolx

SU Jag
December 8th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Nah, We're going to take care of it the old fashion way.. We're going to kick your ass on the field so everyone can see for themselves!xlolx

No he said it right! Sue usxlolx

McTailGator
December 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM

We decided (and so has several members of the State Board of Regents) it was easier to FORCE you to be honorable and play the game.

See you in 2009...

You heard it HERE first.

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 9th, 2007, 06:05 PM
We decided (and so has several members of the State Board of Regents) it was easier to FORCE you to be honorable and play the game.

See you in 2009...

You heard it HERE first. Stelly xlolx xlolx xlolx