PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel 2008 Schedule (Tentative)

CID1990
December 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Here it be:

Thu. Aug 28(Thursday) Webber International High School
Sept 6 @Clempson
Sept 13 Open
Sept. 20 Princeton
Sept 27 Western Carolina
Oct 4 @ Yosefs
Oct 11th Elon
Oct. 18th @ Furple
Oct. 25 @ Samford
Nov. 1st gsu
Nov. 8th @ WoCo
Nov 15th Chatty (Homecoming)
Nov 22 @ Florida

So, we get to play 12 games, and we start out with one that doesn't even count. Also, there is a rumor in the air that Clempson is going to dump us for a TV deal with ABC to play Alabama in the Georgia Dome. If they do, I hope we can find a CAA team that is open on that date.

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Here it be:

Sept 6 @Clempson
Sept 13 Open
Sept. 20 Princeton
Sept 27 Western Carolina
Oct 4 @ Yosefs
Oct 11th Elon
Oct. 18th @ Furple
Oct. 25 @ Samford
Nov. 1st gsu
Nov. 8th @ WoCo
Nov 22 @ Florida

So, we get to play 12 games, and we start out with one that doesn't even count. Also, there is a rumor in the air that Clempson is going to dump us for a TV deal with ABC to play Alabama in the Georgia Dome. If they do, I hope we can find a CAA team that is open on that date.

Why even play Webber Int'l?

bamamountaineer1013
December 3rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Looks like a great schedule, and a lot of the talk around these parts is that Clemson and Alabama can't come to terms, but that could change. See you Oct. 4

CID1990
December 3rd, 2007, 07:02 PM
Apparently, our AD agreed to a two-year thing with them. I don't have a problem with doing the honorable thing and doing what we said we'd do, but I do have a problem with playing them in the first place. I think they got on the schedule last year due to a scheduling problem with someone else, and Webber was all we could get.

I would rather just be open on that day.

WrenFGun
December 3rd, 2007, 07:03 PM
It would be great if UNH could add the Citadel as a 12th game. I'm not sure how that's going, but it'd be a great matchup. Admittedly, a more southern CAA team is more likely, but you never know.

WrenFGun
December 3rd, 2007, 07:03 PM
2 FBS teams is kind of ugly, though. :(

CID1990
December 3rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Also, the Princeton game is a home and away series. I'm glad we were able to work a two year deal with one of the Ivy League schools. I would LOVE to be able to do the same thing with Harvard or Yale.

CID1990
December 3rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
2 FBS teams is kind of ugly, though. :(

That's our usual fare. This season was an anomaly with just Wisconsin on the schedule.

If you guys are open on 6 September, we might be looking for a game if Clempson dumps us. (The deal with ABC is just an intricate ploy... they are actually scared to play us. xsmiley_wix ) I have been ranting on our own message board that we should be playing a CAA school every year, like we used to do (we used to play W&M and Delaware a lot). I would be in favor of dropping one FBS game if we could get a quality FCS opponent instead. Heck, we used to play Patriot League teams every year a little further back.... I'd like to see that again, too.

jonmac
December 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
Looks like the App game could be homecoming. It was that weekend this year, I think. It is usually around that weekend or the next. Nice time to be in Boone. Is there not a nice time be Boone, though?

CID1990
December 3rd, 2007, 08:50 PM
Looks like the App game could be homecoming. It was that weekend this year, I think. It is usually around that weekend or the next. Nice time to be in Boone. Is there not a nice time be Boone, though?

During the rut?

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
The school in the northwestern part of south carolina is called clemson not clempson as they have been referred to a number of times in this thread

jonmac
December 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Dude, it's a SC thing. Kinda like TarHicks, Dukies, etc. Let it go.

08Dawg
December 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
You, sir, are obviously not from South Carolina.

CID1990
December 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
I can't believe someone didn't realize that Clempson is a gag name like Dook. Heck, I was cutting them some slack by not calling them Klempson.

jonmac
December 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
CID, he's young. Cut him some slack too. BTW, other than that grill company that's a darn good schedule.

08Dawg
December 4th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Yeah, we avoid playing you guys at (our) Homecoming! Personally, I hate the fact we'd even consider playing Webber. We flat rolled over them last time, 76-zip, attendance sucked for that game and that was a Saturday! This is going to be a Thursday night! Hope the Corps of Cadets is ready to be loud...they'll likely be the only people in the stadium.

AppChicago
December 4th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Yeah, we avoid playing you guys at (our) Homecoming! Personally, I hate the fact we'd even consider playing Webber. We flat rolled over them last time, 76-zip, attendance sucked for that game and that was a Saturday! This is going to be a Thursday night! Hope the Corps of Cadets is ready to be loud...they'll likely be the only people in the stadium.

I'd go to that game if I lived in Charleston. I had a lot of fun the last time I went to an App game @ the Citadel. It was a mighty hot day down in Chas, (don't remember the date, but it had already gotten chilly in Boone. Around 90 in Chucktown, as I recall...) and I got a heck of a sunburn, but between good football, the peanut man, a local high school marching band getting down, Grambling style, and just being in Charleston, it was a good time.

OL FU
December 4th, 2007, 05:54 AM
The school in the northwestern part of south carolina is called clemson not clempson as they have been referred to a number of times in this thread

Oh Clempscumxnodx

OL FU
December 4th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I know they (VMI) are not up to the competition, but it is just sad, sad I say, that VMI is not on the schedule.xnonono2x

Biff
December 4th, 2007, 07:07 AM
I can't believe someone didn't realize that Clempson is a gag name like Dook. Heck, I was cutting them some slack by not calling them Klempson.

Actually, every Clemson fan I know (I know a bunch) get pissed that annoucers say Clemzon. The pronuciation that they prefer is closer to Clempson. They don't really emphasize the p, but certainly don't put a z in it.

I like the idea of this game. Tommy Bowden is good at losing to underdogs or at least teams he should beat. He's also good at winning games where the Tiggers are underdogs.

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 07:11 AM
I think this schedule is a good one if we can get the Cow College off of it and schedule another FCS team in their place. oh an don't say I didn't warn you......

Bart will lead us to a CHAMPIONSHIP!

Cobblestone
December 4th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Damn! I asked our A.D. to schedule a game with you guys. I HAVE to meet CitDog.

Biff
December 4th, 2007, 07:19 AM
I know they (VMI) are not up to the competition, but it is just sad, sad I say, that VMI is not on the schedule.xnonono2x

It is sad, but I think what you are seeing is the result of VMI leving the Southern Conference. There haven't competed competitively since they left. We all know that if you play with the best, you will step your game up. I, for one, am done with VMI. There administration is doing nothing for this rivalry at this point. Not to mention, I have never considered them a rivalry. They are too far away. I'd rather beat Furman and the new hometown team, CSU (Of course, our rival is up to some debate amongst our alum). But if the El Cid/VMI game where to go back to playing on neutral fields, as this game has sometimes done, I think you would see this rivalry regain some momentum.

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Damn! I asked our A.D. to schedule a game with you guys. I HAVE to meet CitDog.

if it's at Rhoady then you will see me. i'll be the one astride the charger exhorting his troops forward for South Carolina and for GLORY!

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM
It is sad, but I think what you are seeing is the result of VMI leving the Southern Conference. There haven't competed competitively since they left. We all know that if you play with the best, you will step your game up. I, for one, am done with VMI. There administration is doing nothing for this rivalry at this point. Not to mention, I have never considered them a rivalry. They are too far away. I'd rather beat Furman and the new hometown team, CSU (Of course, our rival is up to some debate amongst our alum). But if the El Cid/VMI game where to go back to playing on neutral fields, as this game has sometimes done, I think you would see this rivalry regain some momentum.

i too am done with the V@gina Military Institute. there is no honor in beating them by 50+ pts.

08Dawg
December 4th, 2007, 07:31 AM
To say nothing of the fact that this year such a blowout was on their home field.

WCU_FL_Alum
December 4th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I dont understand...playing a HS team? Do teams do this....even as a pre-season scrimmage game?

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I dont understand...playing a HS team? Do teams do this....even as a pre-season scrimmage game?

don't think WCU has much room to talk....

remember West VA Tech? Chowan? Mars Hill?

pot.... meet the kettle

OL FU
December 4th, 2007, 08:40 AM

It is sad on many levels not the least of which is what VMI football has become:(

Of course, I don't remember it being significantly better the last 20 years in the SoConxnonono2x

Cranium716
December 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM

pot.... meet the kettle

OK, I'll say it then...a high school team on a supposedly respectable FCS school's schedule? Are you freakin kidding me? Is that game going to actually count toward your overall record?

I heard that the local middle school's JV squad is looking for an opponent, so if Clemson drops you, you can try to schedule them.

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM
It is sad on many levels not the least of which is what VMI football has become:(

Of course, I don't remember it being significantly better the last 20 years in the SoConxnonono2x

VMI is waht I have always said it is.....

The FAKE THE CITADELxrulesx

bigred
December 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM
To say our admin. is doing nothing is a half truth...I expect more from a citadel man. Your admin. has a priority of playing D-I teams and wants us to remain flexible so you can get your money....speaks volumes about your admin.

The Keydets are definitely down, but I am not ready to say die at this point. Coach Reid has a plan and he is only 30% done with builiding his team. I am confident that when we play the bullpups again it will not be the blow out that was witnessed this year in LexVegas.

Ivytalk
December 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Also, the Princeton game is a home and away series. I'm glad we were able to work a two year deal with one of the Ivy League schools. I would LOVE to be able to do the same thing with Harvard or Yale.

So would I! I hope you guys have a generous supply of Earl Grey tea on the P'ton sideline. I hear that's all those preps drink.xrolleyesx :p

OL FU
December 4th, 2007, 08:46 AM
OK, I'll say it then...a high school team on a supposedly respectable FCS school's schedule? Are you freakin kidding me? Is that game going to actually count toward your overall record?

I heard that the local middle school's JV squad is looking for an opponent, so if Clemson drops you, you can try to schedule them.

I think it was a joke because of how bad they beat Weber last year. I think they are NAIA

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 08:46 AM
So would I! I hope you guys have a generous supply of Earl Grey tea on the P'ton sideline. I hear that's all those preps drink.xrolleyesx :p

we will serve them a nice, hot, steamy, cup of shut your commie mouth! and they will love it!

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM
To say our admin. is doing nothing is a half truth...I expect more from a citadel man. Your admin. has a priority of playing D-I teams and wants us to remain flexible so you can get your money....speaks volumes about your admin.

The Keydets are definitely down, but I am not ready to say die at this point. Coach Reid has a plan and he is only 30% done with builiding his team. I am confident that when we play the bullpups again it will not be the blow out that was witnessed this year in LexVegas.

i am confident that we could have hung 150 on you. YOU ARE THE REASON THERE IS NO MILITARY CLASSIC THIS YEAR! GROW A PAIR IF YOU WANT TO BE ASSOC. with us!

Ivytalk
December 4th, 2007, 08:49 AM
we will serve them a nice, hot, steamy, cup of shut your commie mouth! and they will love it!

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

citdog, if you and CID1990 come to Jersey for the '09 rematch, I'll gladly sit with y'all on The Citadel side!xnodx

WCU_FL_Alum

pot.... meet the kettle

Hey it wasn't a crack just a question. Yes Western has scheduled some cream puffs lately but, at this point we have needed them. I was simply asking if this was common.....I didn't know college teams actuallt scheduled scrimmage games with high schools. Please take your heart off your sleeve.

Cranium716
I think it was a joke because of how bad they beat Weber last year. I think they are NAIA

Ah, I stand corrected then. The NAIA is only a step above high school football anyway.

But that middle school is still looking for someone to play if you guys need another ridiculously easy opponent. xsmiley_wix

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Ah, I stand corrected then. The NAIA is only a step above high school football anyway.

But that middle school is still looking for an opponent if you guys need another ridiculously easy opponent. xsmiley_wix

we'd have beat JMU's ASS this past year!

JMU = OVERRATED!

MarkCCU
December 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Coastal v.s Citadel?

WCU_FL_Alum
December 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM

But that middle school is still looking for someone to play if you guys need another ridiculously easy opponent. xsmiley_wix

OKAY...Now I get it....Sorry a little slow on the up take. I had never heard of Weber.

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 08:52 AM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

citdog, if you and CID1990 come to Jersey for the '09 rematch, I'll gladly sit with y'all on The Citadel side!xnodx

I will be there! Do you think I would miss a chance to fly the Stars and Bars in NJ? NOT A CHANCE!

Cranium716
December 4th, 2007, 09:22 AM
we'd have beat JMU's ASS this past year!

JMU = OVERRATED!

Wow, nice comeback that is completely unfounded. While you guys were whining about not making the playoffs, we were in Boone whooping up on App St for 57+ minutes and only lost because of a few stupid coaching decisions. This is the same App St team that beat your ass by 21 AT HOME. So no big guy, I think JMU would have beat Citadel's ASS!

xnonox xnonox xnonox

CID1990
December 4th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Ladies, LADIES.....

Webber International is an NAIA college. I figured the intelligent folks here on AGS would see that I renamed several of the schools on the schedule. Summerville High School would have given us a better game than Webber last year, that's why I called them Webber International High School.

College teams don't play high school teams. I am sure there is an NCAA rule about this somewhere. (Although back in the late 1800s and early 1900s, some colleges did play HS teams).

CID1990
December 4th, 2007, 09:31 AM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

If I'm in the country then, I plan on being there.

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Wow, nice comeback that is completely unfounded. While you guys were whining about not making the playoffs, we were in Boone whooping up on App St for 57+ minutes and only lost because of a few stupid coaching decisions. This is the same App St team that beat your ass by 21 AT HOME. So no big guy, I think JMU would have beat Citadel's ASS!

xnonox xnonox xnonox

it was 34-27 with 11 minutes to go. we will never know because JMU is a

Traitor to THE CAUSE by conferencing with YANKEES!

89Hen
December 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Do you guys have any updated photos of Johnson-Hagood?

Millwoch
December 4th, 2007, 10:13 AM
xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Come join us. I will be there. But you realize this game will not be close. Yes I am predicting games for 09 and we will win by at least 28 points.

Millwoch
December 4th, 2007, 10:23 AM

http://www.citadelsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9700&KEY=&SPID=4671&SPSID=48656

The link above has some updated pictures. The home side and press box/luxary seats will be completely finished for next season. We have been in the new homeside for 2 seasons now, but there has been construction all around us. It will be nice to get the boxes done. We were also without lights last year, but new ones to be installed this summer.

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 10:26 AM

there is no dash. General Johnson Hagood CSA is the man the stadium is named for. FYI

bobbythekidd
December 4th, 2007, 10:31 AM
there is no dash. General Johnson Hagood CSA is the man the stadium is named for. FYI
Friend of your's?

http://www.sciway.net/hist/governors/graphics/hagood.jpg

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Friend of your's?

http://www.sciway.net/hist/governors/graphics/hagood.jpg

AGS ATTTTTEEEEEENNNNNNNHHHHUUUUTTTTTTT!

General and Gov Hagood is here!xthumbsupx

Millwoch
December 4th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Citdog, you're hilarious...I almost popped to on that one!!!!

Franks Tanks
December 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Where do you people come from-- I really hope for you that you were joking!!!

89Hen
December 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Got any pictures of Johnson Hagood, Cit-Dog?

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM

and his username is CRANIUM!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

stevdock
December 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Here it be:

Sept 6 @Clempson
Sept 13 Open
Sept. 20 Princeton
Sept 27 Western Carolina
Oct 4 @ Yosefs
Oct 11th Elon
Oct. 18th @ Furple
Oct. 25 @ Samford
Nov. 1st gsu
Nov. 8th @ WoCo
Nov 22 @ Florida

I believe we are looking for a game that weekend also in it doesn't work out with Clemson. We definitely need games and would probably do a home and home with you guys. We do somehow only still have 9 games on our schedule.

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Cit-Dog?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

working on it for you 89!

rep pts

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I believe we are looking for a game that weekend also in it doesn't work out with Clemson. We definitely need games and would probably do a home and home with you guys. We do somehow only still have 9 games on our schedule.

if you came to Charleston on that date.... none of you Dakota people would return alive. you see here in the South that ball of fire in the sky actually WARMS the surface of the planet. the humidty alone would be the death of y'all!

stevdock
December 4th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Bring it. We would be happy to come down there. The last time we came to the SoCon we easily beat Georgia Southern. I was wrong though we have already scheduled the mighty Central Connecticut St.

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Bring it. We would be happy to come down there. The last time we came to the SoCon we easily beat Georgia Southern. I was wrong though we have already scheduled the mighty Central Connecticut St.

a bit different in Aug and Sept dock. TRUST ME!
or ask Delaware!

stevdock
December 4th, 2007, 10:59 AM
We came down there in mid Sept. We would have no problem with the weather I would be more worried about our brand new quarterback. We've gone down south many times early in the season and hardly ever run into a problem. We would have gone down to App. this year but they backed out to play Michigan. How dare they :)

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM
We came down there in mid Sept. We would have no problem with the weather I would be more worried about our brand new quarterback. We've gone down south many times early in the season and hardly ever run into a problem. We would have gone down to App. this year but they backed out to play Michigan. How dare they :)

i'd be worried about your team.

THE 'DOGS ARE THRUSTING!

Jiggs
December 4th, 2007, 11:05 AM
We're looking forward to you guys coming down to a (bull)dogfight.

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 11:08 AM
We're looking forward to you guys coming down to a (bull)dogfight.

SoCon KNOB.......

RACK YOUR DAMN CHIN IN AND PUT A SIR ON THAT!

ONLY 1 SET OF BULLDOGS IN MY CONFERENCE!

AINT SAMFORD NEITHER

CID1990
December 4th, 2007, 11:17 AM
It would be nice to play NDSU. I'll put up on our local board that you guys might still be open that week.

Jiggs
December 4th, 2007, 11:27 AM
SoCon KNOB.......

RACK YOUR DAMN CHIN IN AND PUT A SIR ON THAT!

ONLY 1 SET OF BULLDOGS IN MY CONFERENCE!

AINT SAMFORD NEITHER

OK, maybe not.:p

ngineer
December 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Here it be:

Sept 6 @Clempson
Sept 13 Open
Sept. 20 Princeton
Sept 27 Western Carolina
Oct 4 @ Yosefs
Oct 11th Elon
Oct. 18th @ Furple
Oct. 25 @ Samford
Nov. 1st gsu
Nov. 8th @ WoCo
Nov 22 @ Florida

If Clempson dumps you, Lehigh is looking for a replacement for its game with Liberty when Liberty withdrew...The ol' former Lehigh HC against his former OC would be a lot of fun! Plus, I'd love to come down to Charleston again for the rematch. Great place.

PTW16
December 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
http://www.citadelsports.com/pics25/200/EV/EVXZALBIRFJRQSB.20071112153223.jpg

Historic Johnson Hagood Stadium, in its current glory

proasu89
December 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Why even play Webber Int'l?

For the free gas grills of couse.

proasu89
December 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM

We took the easy way outxsmiley_wix and 400Kxthumbsupx

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM
For the free gas grills of couse.

no worse than LR

Appaholic
December 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM
no worse than LR

Yes, they are worse than L-R........only a revisionist historian like yourself would believe otherwise.....xcoffeex

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Yes, they are worse than L-R........only a revisionist historian like yourself would believe otherwise.....xcoffeex

AND I SAID YOU WERE MY FRIEND!xlolx

GoldandBlack
December 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Who cares which one's worse- when's the cookout?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:slcW89brtnfFOM:http://www.ntscblog.com/images/fullsize/mahi_taco_grill.jpg

Appaholic
December 4th, 2007, 02:35 PM
College teams don't play high school teams. I am sure there is an NCAA rule about this somewhere. (Although back in the late 1800s and early 1900s, some colleges did play HS teams). And some colleges are HS teams.....like Citadel aka Billy Sherman Secondary School.............(just trying to give Citdog a primer to get his post count up)

xthumbsupx

Appaholic
December 4th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Ladies, LADIES.....

Webber International is an NAIA college. I figured the intelligent folks here on AGS would see that I renamed several of the schools on the schedule. Summerville High School would have given us a better game than Webber last year, that's why I called them Webber International High School.

College teams don't play high school teams. I am sure there is an NCAA rule about this somewhere. (Although back in the late 1800s and early 1900s, some colleges did play HS teams).

And in some cases, colleges have HS football teams like Billy Sherman Secondary Academy.....

citdog
December 4th, 2007, 03:17 PM
And in some cases, colleges have HS football teams like Billy Sherman Secondary Academy.....

you really should just call West Point out instead of being so veiled!

CID1990
December 5th, 2007, 07:50 AM
In the early 1900's we used to play Porter Academy, which is now Porter-Gaud (a private K-12 in Charleston).

Even today they would probably give us a better game than Webber.

WCU_FL_Alum
December 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM

What does this mean? Is someone offended and if so, by what?

Franks Tanks
December 5th, 2007, 08:08 AM
What does this mean? Is someone offended and if so, by what?

I am offended and saddened that someone of my same species can be so stupid that they think The Citadel would actually play a High School team. Now Weber International is terrible, but seriously a High School team xlolx

WCU_FL_Alum
December 5th, 2007, 08:20 AM
No reason to be an a$@. I just missed the joke which I already admitted. The real reason for your prior comment seems the name of the Citadel's stadium. Pretty silly to be offended by history.

Franks Tanks
December 5th, 2007, 08:25 AM
No reason to be an a$@. I just missed the joke which I already admitted. The real reason for your prior comment seems the name of the Citadel's stadium. Pretty silly to be offended by history.

Its ok man---I dont think my initial comment was even directed to you, it was the Cranium76 guy. Please dont bring up the debate of Confederate glorification again ive alreay gone down that road with Citdog xlolx. I could care less who the stadium is named after.

08Dawg
December 5th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Anyway...Lehigh would be fun, or somebody from the CAA or Big Sky. Just please God no more Webber! Watching them flattened once was funny, two would just be boring. I'd rather watch a nail-biter and have the real possibility of losing rathern that see some poor NAIA team get absolutely embarrased like Webber did.

Tangentially, any good FCS teams out in East Texas, considering that's where I'll be this time next year?