PDA

View Full Version : GSU/Wofford thread

GSU Eagle
September 12th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I honestly don't know what to expect in this game. I haven't got a good read on Wofford this year. A 10 point win over sub-1AA Georgetown College was not particularly impressive. The loss at West Virginia was predictable and doesn't really shed much light on Wofford's team this year either. I keep reading that Wofford is down this year, but I don't really know.

The Eagles certainly are not the Eagles of last year. On defense we have only 1 way to go. I can't imagine us getting much worst-- at least I hope not. Offensively we seem incapable of throwing the ball at all, so it all boils down to how effective we can run the ball. Wofford's strength, at least in past years, was run defense, so something has to give Saturday night.

This one is a tough call to make. All Eagle fans of course hope the Eagles bounce back and take it to Wofford. Wofford certainly wants revenge for the beating they took last year in Statesboro. The truth is that neither team is the same team as last year.

This is a cop-out pick I guess but I say the game comes down to the last 5-7 minutes of the game. My heart says GSU 24 Wofford 21 but I would not be surprised if the score is reversed.

catamount man
September 12th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Georgetown College, KY is a NAIA school, not I-AA, hell, not even NCAA. GSU wins 38-20. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

eagleskins
September 13th, 2005, 02:13 AM
We trounce Woffy 48-20. Of course I said this last week.

dungeonjoe
September 13th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Georgetown College, KY is a NAIA school, not I-AA, hell, not even NCAA. GSU wins 38-20. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Georgetown is a power on par with the great Mars Hill which another SoCon school scheduled :rolleyes: :)

winstoneagle
September 13th, 2005, 06:55 AM
GSU 35
Wofford 28

dungeonjoe
September 13th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Wofford 28
GSU 24

OL FU
September 13th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Wofford 28
GSU 24

And after reading most of the other posts, that should move you into the top 25. :)

dungeonjoe
September 13th, 2005, 07:40 AM
And after reading most of the other posts, that should move you into the top 25. :)

what you talkin' about Willis? we should take our natural place as #1 ;) :rolleyes: :D

blueballs
September 13th, 2005, 08:19 AM
GSU on the road with a young mistake prone offense and a defense that can't get a stop on third down against a Mike Ayers team spells trouble.

I can see this game taking on the look of the 2003 game, where GSU gets an early lead only to see the game turn into a Wofford "hold the ball slogfest" which will keep it just close enough for the Eagles to self destruct, just like what we saw this past weekend.

I can see Wofford playing 8-9 in the box and attacking the gaps, which will cause Foster big problems. I'm not sure Wofford has the playmakers to win by more than one score but all the above factors combined with Ayers at home spells trouble for GSU.

Don't discount the revenge factor either.

GannonFan
September 13th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Man, if GSU loses this game are they gonna turn the lights off in Statesboro this year? I can't see them losing this game but who knows. I would think that the rumbling of Sewak's performance as coach is getting greater with every passing week?

Baldy
September 13th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Man, if GSU loses this game are they gonna turn the lights off in Statesboro this year? I can't see them losing this game but who knows. I would think that the rumbling of Sewak's performance as coach is getting greater with every passing week?

You have no idea.... :cool:

Baldy
September 13th, 2005, 09:36 AM
GSU on the road with a young mistake prone offense and a defense that can't get a stop on third down against a Mike Ayers team spells trouble.

I can see this game taking on the look of the 2003 game, where GSU gets an early lead only to see the game turn into a Wofford "hold the ball slogfest" which will keep it just close enough for the Eagles to self destruct, just like what we saw this past weekend.

I can see Wofford playing 8-9 in the box and attacking the gaps, which will cause Foster big problems. I'm not sure Wofford has the playmakers to win by more than one score but all the above factors combined with Ayers at home spells trouble for GSU.

Don't discount the revenge factor either.

Add to that Charrod Taylor & T Mac out for 2 weeks, and being replaced by a RS-Fr. and a true freshman.....oh Lord :( :bawling:

eaglesrthe1
September 13th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Sewak will have to open up the passing game more to have any chance. About the only time that GSU is putting the ball in the air is when they have too, not when the other team thinks that they won't.

DotCat
September 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM
All I can predict is that we will see a lot of triple option on both sides of the ball. Oh, and Wofford always going for it on 4th down.

sceagle
September 13th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Smiley should get more snaps at QB. He is a great athlete but people forget that because they compare him to Foster. Let Foster play in the slot and return kicks. Foster does not have the mentality to be a QB a lead a team.

hannerhooligan
September 13th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Where have the eagle fans gone. Now i know we lost a game and we dont look like we did last year but come onway the negative talking. I feel we not only will have the edge with power for the game on sat. but i know we will win because the feeling of loosing is not something our boys like. They dont loose and they hate doin it. I say put your dang negative thought aside and be a true eagle!
GSU- 28
W - 17

ngineer
September 13th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I think this will be a real close game. Sounds like GSU is having trouble protecting the ball and Wofford usually brings a tough D, plus being at home and seeing GSU having its troubles should give the Terriers a higher sense of confidence that might not otherwise be there. Won't be surprised if it goes OT.

blukeys
September 13th, 2005, 10:34 PM
You have no idea.... :cool:

Things getting a little warm on the old GSU message boards Baldy? :rolleyes:

I know what would be happenning at UD if they started off the way the eagles did this year. ;) Not to mention that Sewak has not produced at all since he took over from Johnson. :eek: Things better change or Sewak will find out soon what South Georgia justice is all about. ;) ;)

X-Factor
September 13th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I think GSU is going to jump back a little bit this week and crewz to a comfortable 2 TD win, but serious questions will still plague the Defense.

DemiGS
September 13th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Things getting a little warm on the old GSU message boards Baldy? :rolleyes:

I know what would be happenning at UD if they started off the way the eagles did this year. ;) Not to mention that Sewak has not produced at all since he took over from Johnson. :eek: Things better change or Sewak will find out soon what South Georgia justice is all about. ;) ;)

I must say I feel somewhat vindicated. Way back on the old escribe board I was ranting about what an inept head coach Sewak was. From the first game it was obvious that our offense had changed. While it is still the 'option', it is not the classic GSU option. It has become very shallow, and the execution is piss poor. People use to say that when playing GSU, you always knew what was coming; yet you couldn't stop it. Now, everyone knows what is coming, and it is very stoppable. Sewak is simply not able to get the team ready to play on Saturdays. The extremely sloppy play GSU had displayed over the last few years is evidence. The lack of execution, coupled with the simplification of the GSU O has resulted in the last several years results. Frankly, I almost hope we tank this year so that it becomes painfully obvious that we need new leadership.

eaglesrthe1
September 14th, 2005, 07:02 AM
GSU will probably always do well in rushing, but it needs to be coupled with at least a trace of a passing game to make it effective. The passing game for GSU has disappeared, at least so far this year. Dead last. Combine the two, and GSU is 21st in the O department, which is below par.

Doing far worse on the D, to be sure, but I am more concerned about the O. It is the GSU MoJo. Has it been lost?

There are lots of grumblings going on about play selection, clock management, and team cohesiveness. All coaching responsibilities.

blueballs
September 14th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Then why is GaSU leading the nation in rushing yet again among teams that have played two games? Seems that defense is the issue not the running game.

When a team runs the ball 60+ times a game they will almost certainly be at the top of the heap statistically in rushing stats almost by default.

The problem that reasonable GSU fans (not that there are that many ;) )have with the team through the first two games are:

a) total lack of any passing threat, especially on 1st and 2nd downs, when the defense is most vunerable and the pass is almost like a trick play.

b) the complete lack of involvement of the slotbacks, who both run 4.4 and can both catch. No passes in seams to them and almost no option pitches.

c) undisciplined play, stupid penalties, poor game/clock management.

d) defensive scheme- e.g.- McNeese hit the game winning score on 3rd and long where we blitzed only to leave a true FR CB 1 on 1 against MSU's best WR, who caught the TD with no safety help over the top.

e) special teams- giving up big return after big return but our all conference return man is consistently getting hit before he can even get his head up and look upfield.

f) scaled down playbook- in addition to the lack of SB involvement, I haven't seen any speed option, trap option, or counter option.

Some of the old timers are comparing what is going on to the Tim Stowers era at GSU, and there are some striking parallels. On the positive side, this is a very young team and many of the mistakes can be corrected, the question is when?

Saturday's game is huge for both teams, a conference loss in the first game means a young team has to play uphill the rest of the season, expecially one that has to go to Boone in a month, and a loss here bodes poorly for GSU's playoff chances.

And if you think the lynch mob is out now wait and see what happens if GSU misses the playoffs for the 2nd time in 3 years...

ChickenMan
September 14th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Unless there is definate QB improvement ... the lack of a passing game will doom GSU vs the tougher defensive teams. That being said... I can't believe that they won't begin to show some threat via the passing attack. GSU doesn't need to throw the ball very often... but they do need to be able to hit a a couple of big plays in the passing game when the opposition is defending GSU with eight guys at the line scrimmage. Remember... it was the passing game that saved GSU vs N'eastern... if they weren't able to hit those two big passes... late in the game... GSU would already have two loses.

EagleCrusade
September 16th, 2005, 04:41 PM
WOOOOOOO!! I tell y'all I can't wait for this game tomorrow! The season could be on the line for both teams!! Such a big game early in the season! And some BigBadWolf BBQ!!

SpiritCymbal
September 16th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I don't see anyway that we put up that many points on Wofford. Granted they don't look like a great team this year, but they do know how to defend Georgia Southern. Last year was great, but Wofford will put 9 guys in the box against an offense that they are very familiar with. Last year Chaz was 8-10 for 188 yards with 2 TD passes in the first quarter. We don't have anything even closely resembling a passing attack. Hell, our QB can barely throw a spiral. There will be nothing to keep their defense in check and their 9 guys see the running game everyday in practice. I forsee a very frustrating day for Georgia Southern once again. BUT, I still think our talent and speed will be too much to overcome.

Eagles 17
Wofford 14