PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 9-30

JALMOND
September 27th, 2023, 08:34 PM
The first week of conference play is in the books and I am still looking for perfection with a record so far of 36-6. All schools are playing this week again, with those that were home last week are on the road, and vice-versa. On paper this week looks rather easy to predict, but the one I missed last week should have been easy as well (thank you Montana). All games on Saturday. Here are my picks.

UI at EWU---The Vandals are the real deal, taking care of Sacramento State at home last week. However, the Eagles showed they are also the real deal, heading to UC Davis and getting a good win. So, who will continue their good season and show they are once again the real deal?...UI 31, EWU 28.

ISU at UM---Entering this game one team is 1-0 in conference play and one is 0-1. Care to take a guess as to which is which? Sorry, thank you for playing. The Bengals got a win last week while the Grizzlies took one on the chin. Bengals are playing loose and the Grizzlies need this one...UM 28, ISU 10.

NAU at SAC---Again, one team is 1-0 and the other is 0-1. Any guesses? The Lumberjacks surprised Montana at home last week, while the Hornets fell short in the conference marquee game to Idaho. Do the Jacks have another surprise, or can the Hornets emerge with a win at home...SAC 31, NAU 20.

PSU at MSU---The Vikings rolled out to a strong first half and coasted the rest of the way at home last week. The Bobcats never let their paw off the pedal and got a good road win. Who keeps on the gas in this game? Maybe a tough test for both than last week...MSU 28, PSU 21.

UCD at CP---The Aggies are a good 0-1 team in conference play, but they are the road team this week. The Mustangs are struggling and while they have two wins already, these games count and they didn't play well last week. But they are at home, as if that makes a difference...UCD 24, CP 10.

WSU at UNC---Perhaps the Wildcats slept through their wake up call last week because they looked like they were sleepwalking in their home loss. The Bears had an excuse as they were on the road, but they also looked like they never woke up either. Who wants this game?...WSU 31, UNC 21.

bonarae
September 27th, 2023, 09:18 PM
EWU - a toss-up for sure
Griz
Sac
Montana State
UC Davis
Weber State

uofmman1122
September 27th, 2023, 09:34 PM
If EWU beats Idaho, it is going to absolutely **** up the perceptions everyone had* of both teams.

And I am HERE for it! lol

MSUBobcat
September 27th, 2023, 10:36 PM
If EWU beats Idaho, it is going to absolutely **** up the perceptions everyone has of both teams.

And I am HERE for it! lol
I dunno about that. I have UI as my #2 team and EWU my #4 in the Big Sky. On the hideous red turf, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see EWU pull it off. I think Idaho wins by a TD, but I don't think it's ever out of reach.

uofmman1122
September 27th, 2023, 11:10 PM
I dunno about that. I have UI as my #2 team and EWU my #4 in the Big Sky. On the hideous red turf, I wouldn't be overly surprised to see EWU pull it off. I think Idaho wins by a TD, but I don't think it's ever out of reach.
Where did you have EWU at before the season started?

Edit: Oh I just noticed my post says "has" instead of "had" lol thanks autocorrect

Vandal03
September 28th, 2023, 12:03 AM
I am trying to figure out why was Eastern so bad last season. I am glad to see them good again and hope I won’t regret being glad about it. Here are my predictions:

Idaho - I think Idaho will win, but Eastern is much better and I would not be surprised if Eastern pulls off the upset. My prediction is Idaho by 17.
Montana - Idaho State is has improved and Montana has regressed, but not enough enough changed for ISU to beat the Griz. UM by 13
Sacramento State - Sac State is a good team. Sac state by 10.
Montana State - in my mind MSU is tied for the best team in the country. They will win by 38.
UC Davis - I predict a 20 point victory for Davis.
Weber State - I am not sure how good Weber State is, but I am sure how bad UNC is. Weber by 24.

THE DANIMAL
September 28th, 2023, 08:04 AM
Idaho 38 EWU 35
Montana 31 Idaho 17
Sac St. 35 NAU 24
MSU 41 Portland St. 20
UC-Davis 42 Cal Poly 17
Weber St. 31 UNC 10

MSUBobcat
September 28th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Where did you have EWU at before the season started?

Edit: Oh I just noticed my post says "has" instead of "had" lol thanks autocorrect

Yes, that changes things. In my preseason ranking, I had UI at #2 and EWU at #7 and that was more by default because I wasn't putting ISU, Poly, or NoCo, I didn't have faith in NAU after losing their QB to the portal. I waffled a bit between EWU and PSU, but ultimately put EWU ahead, like a savant. xnodxxlolx

MSUBobcat
September 28th, 2023, 09:34 AM
I am trying to figure out why was Eastern so bad last season. I am glad to see them good again and hope I won’t regret being glad about it. Here are my predictions:

Idaho - I think Idaho will win, but Eastern is much better and I would not be surprised if Eastern pulls off the upset. My prediction is Idaho by 17.
Montana - Idaho State is has improved and Montana has regressed, but not enough enough changed for ISU to beat the Griz. UM by 13
Sacramento State - Sac State is a good team. Sac state by 10.
Montana State - in my mind MSU is tied for the best team in the country. They will win by 38.
UC Davis - I predict a 20 point victory for Davis.
Weber State - I am not sure how good Weber State is, but I am sure how bad UNC is. Weber by 24.

Their defense was atrocious, giving up 466 pts (42.4ppg). It was especially bad against the run (289ypg), worst in the conference. They were 4th best against the pass at 215.2ypg, but when combined with the terrible run defense, they were 11th worst. For context, Poly was the worst, but even NoCo's defense allowed 36 less total yards of offense per game and you never want to be worse at something than NoCo.

wapiti
September 28th, 2023, 09:40 AM
UI 32 at 21 EWU--- Vandals earned a good win last weekend. Now against what is perceived as an slightly easier opponent, but this one is on the road. EWU is looking to make a statement, but I think UI takes care of business.

ISU 14 at 38 UM--- Are the griz going to play like a wounded grizzly? UM is at home and ISU is struggling. I see the griz D getting a score or two to blow this game out. (or at least setting the O up for an easy score)

NAU 17 at 42 SAC---Are the Jacks going to have a hangover after last weekends big win? Sac is looking for a win after last weeks loss.

PSU 24 at 38 MSU---The Bobcats had a much easier win against BBQ than I expected. Will they have a hangover after the nice win on the road? Will Mellot be back playing? Will that much of a difference?

UCD 35 at 15 CP---UCD's loss against EWU has to sting a bit. So they will be looking for a nice rebound win and this is just the game for that.

WSU 35 at 10 UNC---BBQ was forced to eat a goose egg at home. Now on the road but against a struggling UNCU team

MSUBobcat
September 28th, 2023, 09:44 AM
Weber 27 @ UNC 17 - Weber's offense seemed lost last week, but NoCo isn't MSU.
Idaho 34 @ EWU 27 - The return to relevancy was quicker than I expected for the Eags. I think McCoy and Hatten are able to exploit the still-not-good defense and the Vandal defense does just enough for a good road W.
ISU-o 23 @ UM 34 - Griz force enough FGs rather than TD's to get a crowd-fueled win.
PSU 20 @ MSU 45 - The home win streak continues. Gave PSU 20 points cuz other than Weber, that's what we give up.
Davis 48 @ Poly 17 - Davis is going to come out angry over the loss last week and prove they are still a squad to not be taken lightly.
NAU 16 @ Sac State 38 - Honeymoon is over, back to reality.

Catbooster
September 28th, 2023, 10:51 AM
Their defense was atrocious, giving up 466 pts (42.4ppg). It was especially bad against the run (289ypg), worst in the conference. They were 4th best against the pass at 215.2ypg, but when combined with the terrible run defense, they were 11th worst. For context, Poly was the worst, but even NoCo's defense allowed 36 less total yards of offense per game and you never want to be worse at something than NoCo.
I'd add that last year they didn't find an effective QB (and WR's) like they have had for years. It appears that they may have found one this year. They have had a number of years where their offense has been good enough to make up for below average defense. They didn't last year and the combination resulted in a bad year.

I've got EWU and Davis neck and neck. Davis outperformed Eastern statistically in many areas but 3 turnovers resulted in a close loss. I gave Eastern the edge in my poll this week, but I'm not sure I have more faith in them than Davis.

MSUBobcat
September 28th, 2023, 11:06 AM
I'd add that last year they didn't find an effective QB (and WR's) like they have had for years. It appears that they may have found one this year. They have had a number of years where their offense has been good enough to make up for below average defense. They didn't last year and the combination resulted in a bad year.

I've got EWU and Davis neck and neck. Davis outperformed Eastern statistically in many areas but 3 turnovers resulted in a close loss. I gave Eastern the edge in my poll this week, but I'm not sure I have more faith in them than Davis.

This is all true. The offense was down from what we normally expect and the defense was much worse than the normal mediocre defense. The 24.6ppg they averaged on offense wouldn't have won many games even with their usual defense.

I also have Davis and EWU as 4a and 4b. I put EWU ahead due to the H2H as well as needing to see the extent of Larison's injury. If he doesn't go down, Davis wins that game. Even without him, it took a blocked 31 yarder to preserve the win. Or at least prevent it from being tied with 3:20 to play.

mvemjsunpx
September 28th, 2023, 10:00 PM
Idaho 38-28 EWU — Eastern looks like a playoff team, Idaho looks like a title contender

Davis 31-17 Calol Poly — Larison may be out, but Davis has still won 6 straight over the 'Stangs by an average margin of 28.5 ppg

NAU 14-41 Sac State — NAU's upset of Montana probably wasn't about NAU being good

Idaho St. 13-30 Montana — I don't think the Griz will be making the playoffs this year, but this isn't the game that's gonna decide that

Portland St. 21-41 Montana St. — I honestly have no clue how good PSU is, but I doubt they're on the level of the 'Cats

Weber 27-10 NoCo — The "Offensively Challenged Game of the Week"

JALMOND
October 1st, 2023, 04:48 AM
The first week of conference play is in the books and I am still looking for perfection with a record so far of 36-6. All schools are playing this week again, with those that were home last week are on the road, and vice-versa. On paper this week looks rather easy to predict, but the one I missed last week should have been easy as well (thank you Montana). All games on Saturday. Here are my picks.

UI at EWU---The Vandals are the real deal, taking care of Sacramento State at home last week. However, the Eagles showed they are also the real deal, heading to UC Davis and getting a good win. So, who will continue their good season and show they are once again the real deal?...UI 31, EWU 28.

ISU at UM---Entering this game one team is 1-0 in conference play and one is 0-1. Care to take a guess as to which is which? Sorry, thank you for playing. The Bengals got a win last week while the Grizzlies took one on the chin. Bengals are playing loose and the Grizzlies need this one...UM 28, ISU 10.

NAU at SAC---Again, one team is 1-0 and the other is 0-1. Any guesses? The Lumberjacks surprised Montana at home last week, while the Hornets fell short in the conference marquee game to Idaho. Do the Jacks have another surprise, or can the Hornets emerge with a win at home...SAC 31, NAU 20.

PSU at MSU---The Vikings rolled out to a strong first half and coasted the rest of the way at home last week. The Bobcats never let their paw off the pedal and got a good road win. Who keeps on the gas in this game? Maybe a tough test for both than last week...MSU 28, PSU 21.

UCD at CP---The Aggies are a good 0-1 team in conference play, but they are the road team this week. The Mustangs are struggling and while they have two wins already, these games count and they didn't play well last week. But they are at home, as if that makes a difference...UCD 24, CP 10.

WSU at UNC---Perhaps the Wildcats slept through their wake up call last week because they looked like they were sleepwalking in their home loss. The Bears had an excuse as they were on the road, but they also looked like they never woke up either. Who wants this game?...WSU 31, UNC 21.

Close on a few, but at the end of the day, perfection. 6-0 this week puts me at 42-6 for the season so far.