PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic 10 Week 3 Preview

JMU Duke Dog
September 12th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Well last week was rough for some of the A10, so we will see what happens next...

Standings
North Division
Massachusetts (1-0, 1-1)
Rhode Island (0-0 2-0)
Hofstra (0-0, 1-0)
New Hampshire (0-0, 1-0)
Maine (0-0, 1-1)
Northeastern (0-0, 0-2)
South Division
Towson (0-0, 2-0)
Delaware (0-0, 1-0)
James Madison (0-0, 1-1)
William & Mary (0-0, 1-1)
Villanova (0-0, 0-1)
Richmond (0-1, 0-2)

Schedule
#7 William & Mary at Rhode Island 12:00
#3 New Hampshire at Towson 3:00
Albany at #25 Massachusetts 6:00
Delaware State at #8 James Madison 6:00
Richmond at Maine 6:00
West Chester at #6 Delaware 7:00
Stony Brook at #23 Hofstra 7:00
Northeastern at Villanova 7:00

TigerFan17
September 12th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Take note at who tops the A10 South.

hahaha.

blukeys
September 12th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Take note at who tops the A10 South.

hahaha.

Being the top dog in the A-10 usually is not a comfortable feeling. Checkout how JMU enjoyed the bullseye this weekend. ;) ;) At any rate good to see TU having success. See you guys on the 1st!!!

JMU Duke Dog
September 12th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Being the top dog in the A-10 usually is not a comfortable feeling. Checkout how JMU enjoyed the bullseye this weekend. ;) ;) At any rate good to see TU having success. See you guys on the 1st!!!

Have fun with the bullseye! :bang:

LUHawker
September 13th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Look, 2-0 is 2-0, but I'd hardly start ringing the success bell when those wins were over Morgan St. and DII Lock Haven.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 13th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Look, 2-0 is 2-0, but I'd hardly start ringing the success bell when those wins were over Morgan St. and DII Lock Haven.

Come on LUHawker, me thinks there was a little tounge-in-cheek in TigerFan's post. Not much was expected of TU this season, they should be allowed some fun.

TigerFan17
September 13th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I thought I laid it on pretty thick there. Maybe I needed some:

:p :p :p :D :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ;) ;) ?

:D

89Hen
September 13th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Don't worry 17, those of us with A10 educations got your drift. A little over the head of a Patriot lad. :p

TigerFan17
September 13th, 2005, 01:41 PM
They're all just mad because we left them for the big, bad A-10. ;) :D

89Hen
September 13th, 2005, 01:51 PM
My take....

#7 William & Mary at Rhode Island - URI is not ready and Jake Phillips is ready to take his place as another great W&M QB.

#3 New Hampshire at Towson - TU comes back to reality. Santos to Ball for a couple of TD's.

Albany at #25 Massachusetts - UMass' see-saw season continues with a much needed home win.

Delaware State at #8 James Madison - DSU is better, but not good. JMU recovers for the home crowd.

Richmond at Maine - UR goes to 0-3 and may not win an A10 game this year.

West Chester at #6 Delaware - BITTER rivalry :rolleyes: Hens breeze.

Stony Brook at #23 Hofstra - I'm starting to buy the Hofstra hype and another big win over a mid-major.

Northeastern at Villanova - NU is much better at home, but without Burroughs, Nova struggles, NU gets the road win.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 13th, 2005, 02:01 PM
My take....

#7 William & Mary at Rhode Island - URI is not ready and Jake Phillips is ready to take his place as another great W&M QB.

#3 New Hampshire at Towson - TU comes back to reality. Santos to Ball for a couple of TD's.

Albany at #25 Massachusetts - UMass' see-saw season continues with a much needed home win.

Delaware State at #8 James Madison - DSU is better, but not good. JMU recovers for the home crowd.

West Chester at #6 Delaware - BITTER rivalry :rolleyes: Hens breeze.

Stony Brook at #23 Hofstra - I'm starting to buy the Hofstra hype and another big win over a mid-major.

Northeastern at Villanova - NU is much better at home, but without Burroughs, Nova struggles, NU gets the road win.

I'll agree with all of those except Northeastern at 'Nova. I just don't think NU is that good a team. They lost a close game to a GSU team that has yet to find its stride and were beaten handily by a yet unproven Penguin squad.

Villanova by 10 at home.

DTSpider
September 13th, 2005, 02:03 PM

At least you threw in the A10 qualifier, although it could be nip & tuck against VMI. I still think that we win at least one A10 game. Maybe this week? Only if Maine thinks the game is on Sunday.

I agree with all the comments on the other games.

GannonFan
September 13th, 2005, 02:05 PM
At least you threw in the A10 qualifier, although it could be nip & tuck against VMI. I still think that we win at least one A10 game. Maybe this week? Only if Maine thinks the game is on Sunday.

I agree with all the comments on the other games.

I just hope the sacrifice of not using Tutt at QB this year is worth it next year by getting the young guys some reps. Tough to stomach it out this year though - almost like Donovan McNabb's first year with the Eagles and suffering through Doug Pederson - ughgh, the horror.

Husky Alum
September 13th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I can't see NU beating 'Nova on the road. 'Nova is weak on the OL, we're weak on defense, so it should be interesting.

I still say Nova by 2 TD's.

NU is like 9-22 on the road in the past 5 seasons.

LUHawker
September 13th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Come on LUHawker, me thinks there was a little tounge-in-cheek in TigerFan's post. Not much was expected of TU this season, they should be allowed some fun.

I appreciate that point of view, but what you folks in the A-10 don't have (yet) is the history that we in the PL have with Towson. We heard year-in and year-out that "this is the year" for Tiger football, and we all know how well that worked out. So, even though such language should be recognized as obvious self-deprecation, you just never know with the Towson crowd. I will give them this, they are eternal optimists in the face of painful reality. :)

LUHawker
September 13th, 2005, 02:36 PM
They're all just mad because we left them for the big, bad A-10. ;) :D

Yes, we were very sad to see you go since we all just marked a W next to the Towson game when the schedule was released. :D :D :D

DTSpider
September 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I just hope the sacrifice of not using Tutt at QB this year is worth it next year by getting the young guys some reps. Tough to stomach it out this year though - almost like Donovan McNabb's first year with the Eagles and suffering through Doug Pederson - ughgh, the horror.

With how well our pass blocking has been this year I do not expect the starting QBs to be healthy the whole year. They've been taking big licks pretty much every time they throw the ball.

Pard94
September 13th, 2005, 03:30 PM
The A-10 should fare much better now that they don't have any PL opponents on the schedule. Good luck guys! ;)

TigerFan17
September 13th, 2005, 05:40 PM
I appreciate that point of view, but what you folks in the A-10 don't have (yet) is the history that we in the PL have with Towson. We heard year-in and year-out that "this is the year" for Tiger football, and we all know how well that worked out. So, even though such language should be recognized as obvious self-deprecation, you just never know with the Towson crowd. I will give them this, they are eternal optimists in the face of painful reality. :)

:rolleyes:

In our 7 years in the patriot league, we had 3 winning seasons, 1 .500 season, and 3 losing seasons (including our first year in the league and one year plagued with injuries at basically every key position). We weren't the total pushover you make it sound like.

Gordy also won coach of the year in the PL for turning a losing season into a 7-4 campaign the next year.

In the face of adversity, what does pessimism get you? That way your teams a losing team and all you do is bitch about it. I'd rather have a losing team and then look forward to a better future than sit and cry.

If you read all of my posts you will come to see that I am pretty level with what Towson is as a team and program. Besides, I'm surprised to see you've even encountered other fans... :p

TigerFan17
September 13th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Yes, we were very sad to see you go since we all just marked a W next to the Towson game when the schedule was released. :D :D :D

We've beaten you. :D

blukeys
September 13th, 2005, 05:46 PM
The A-10 should fare much better now that they don't have any PL opponents on the schedule. Good luck guys! ;)

Delaware has Holy Cross on 9/24. We will try to hold our own. :rolleyes: ;)

charliej
September 13th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Delaware has Holy Cross on 9/24. We will try to hold our own. :rolleyes: ;)

Please do Blukeys,Hope we can hold off Bucknell on 10/15 as well. :D

blukeys
September 13th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Please do Blukeys,Hope we can hold off Bucknell on 10/15 as well. :D

Hope the ecstasy of a potential win over Bucknell doesn't keep you from bringing your A game against us on Nov. 19th. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No excuses now!!! :D :D

charliej
September 13th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Hope the ecstasy of a potential win over Bucknell doesn't keep you from bringing your A game against us on Nov. 19th. :D :D

Don't we always? :D

blukeys
September 13th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Don't we always? :D

So far! :D

I just worry that our A-10 obsession with PL games may take our collective minds off of A-10 rivalries. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

89Hen
September 13th, 2005, 06:25 PM
At least you threw in the A10 qualifier, although it could be nip & tuck against VMI.
Nah, you'll win that one easily.

TigerFan17
September 13th, 2005, 07:13 PM

I think we have the answer(s) to the ball/santos combo in DB's allante harrison and davon telp... :D

Maybe we could open a few eyes here...

charliej
September 13th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Hey Tigerfan...Heard my boy Halbruner set a team record for PAT's this week.He lookin good?

GannonFan
September 14th, 2005, 09:59 AM
:rolleyes:

In our 7 years in the patriot league, we had 3 winning seasons, 1 .500 season, and 3 losing seasons (including our first year in the league and one year plagued with injuries at basically every key position). We weren't the total pushover you make it sound like.

Gordy also won coach of the year in the PL for turning a losing season into a 7-4 campaign the next year.

In the face of adversity, what does pessimism get you? That way your teams a losing team and all you do is bitch about it. I'd rather have a losing team and then look forward to a better future than sit and cry.

If you read all of my posts you will come to see that I am pretty level with what Towson is as a team and program. Besides, I'm surprised to see you've even encountered other fans... :p

I for one didn't realize Towson had 3 winning seasons in the Patriot - most of the talk from other Patriot posters make it seem like Towson barely won more than a couple games while in the Patriot. As for Towson, they were a decent program before going into the Patriot - they beat a playoff bound UD team in '93 (the team that beat Montana in Montana btw) and they played UD tough in the 80's. Losing scholarships distorted the potential of that program - in the next few years I'm sure we'll see some more-than-competitive Tiger teams.

HensRock
September 14th, 2005, 11:12 AM
... in the next few years I'm sure we'll see some more-than-competitive Tiger teams.

Maybe sooner. I'm going on record - picking TU in the upset this weekend.
GO TIGERS!!! I agree with TF17 - Allante Harrison is the answer to Santos/Ball.

Tribe4SF
September 14th, 2005, 12:22 PM

I don't see that happening. Unless Allante's going to shadow him, he's unlikely to be the one covering Ball.

What would make a difference for Towson would be dramatically improved play from their front seven in getting some pressure on Santos and stopping the run.

TigerFan17
September 14th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I for one didn't realize Towson had 3 winning seasons in the Patriot - most of the talk from other Patriot posters make it seem like Towson barely won more than a couple games while in the Patriot. As for Towson, they were a decent program before going into the Patriot - they beat a playoff bound UD team in '93 (the team that beat Montana in Montana btw) and they played UD tough in the 80's. Losing scholarships distorted the potential of that program - in the next few years I'm sure we'll see some more-than-competitive Tiger teams.

Yup, two of the seasons were back to back 7-4's. But as goes the football world, everyone loves to make fun of us, even our own "fans".

And to think someone said its usually Towson fans being delusional.. :p

TigerFan17
September 14th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I don't see that happening. Unless Allante's going to shadow him, he's unlikely to be the one covering Ball.

What would make a difference for Towson would be dramatically improved play from their front seven in getting some pressure on Santos and stopping the run.

I agree 100% about pressuring Santos and stopping the run.

BTW, what type of receiver is Ball...slot? flanker? etc.?

Granite
September 14th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Could be - truth be told, I worry about this game a bit as a trap myself. I'm sure that Towson has improved over last year, and playing at home is going to help them. But this is a team that we beat 62-24 last year. Ultimately I think the Tigers close that gap on Saturday, but UNH gets the W.

I don't see any upsets in the A10 this week.

TigerFan17
September 14th, 2005, 03:20 PM
I like your analysis and have to agree with you. Our biggest improvement is at RB...you can't win **** in this league without at least a mediocre back, and we've found 2 guys that look pretty damn good.

My heart says upset.
My mind says loss by less than 2 TDs.

TigerFan17
September 14th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Oh yes I forgot, everyone is always giving Allante Harrison his deserved love, but don't forget about Davon Telp. He was likely a pre-season All-American last year, but was involved in a car accident over the summer that sidelined him for the whole season. Hes back now, looks as good or better than before. Hes the guy who broke the NCAA record for running 2 INT's back for TD's in one game (v. Georgetown). He is close to the same talent level as Allante and starts at the other corner, so we're pretty set.

Even though Lock Haven was only a D-II school, they have played several I-AA's and their coach was quoted as saying they are the best corner combo he has ever seen.

Granite
September 14th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I like your analysis and have to agree with you. Our biggest improvement is at RB...you can't win **** in this league without at least a mediocre back, and we've found 2 guys that look pretty damn good.

My heart says upset.
My mind says loss by less than 2 TDs.

I'm looking forward to our game, TigerFan. Talking with a few of our players, the 70 that y'all hung on Lock Haven certainly got their attention. They are talking more about that than they are about their win last year, so I think that is a good thing (for us, at least!)

Granite

Spider
September 14th, 2005, 08:18 PM
With how well our pass blocking has been this year I do not expect the starting QBs to be healthy the whole year. They've been taking big licks pretty much every time they throw the ball.
I don't know why you think the O line is playing that bad, when we've only had 4 sacks for 17 yards in two games. This was out of 145 offensive plays for 561 yds. Everyone takes a lick now and then after the ball is thrown. We'll win a few A10 games........

charliej
September 14th, 2005, 08:34 PM
I don't know why you think the O line is playing that bad, when we've only had 4 sacks for 17 yards in two games. This was out of 145 offensive plays for 561 yds. Everyone takes a lick now and then after the ball is thrown. We'll win a few A10 games........

How did Healy look in the Lafayette game? It seemed to me like he got a little spark going in the third vs.UMass. Would you say he or Brown is the better QB?

bainsey
September 14th, 2005, 10:20 PM
We'll win a few A10 games........

While I'm solidly behind my boys in blue, I wouldn't rule out a Richmond win. If your secondary finds ways to pick apart Maine's passing game, there's a definite shot.

I like Maine's defense, but many questions remain about the Maine O. If the O-line gels in front of Whitcomb, Maine could become a very dangerous team. Much could be told from this one.

Tribe4SF
September 15th, 2005, 07:02 AM
I agree 100% about pressuring Santos and stopping the run.

BTW, what type of receiver is Ball...slot? flanker? etc.?

I haven't seen UNH this year, but with a good offensive coach, you can pretty well assume that he comes at you from a variety of spots. When you have a receiver as talented as he is, you move him around and put him in motion.

Spider
September 15th, 2005, 09:20 AM
How did Healy look in the Lafayette game? It seemed to me like he got a little spark going in the third vs.UMass. Would you say he or Brown is the better QB?
I have seen both games, and Healy has looked better in both. Brown appears to have the stronger arm.

TigerFan17
September 15th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I haven't seen UNH this year, but with a good offensive coach, you can pretty well assume that he comes at you from a variety of spots. When you have a receiver as talented as he is, you move him around and put him in motion.

Thats what I assumed, but generally receivers have a main role. As in, does he generally play flanker-style with a few other routes thrown in, or is he generally a slot guy, with a few flanker routes tossed in, etc.

Anyone know his 40 time?

rcny46
September 15th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Thats what I assumed, but generally receivers have a main role. As in, does he generally play flanker-style with a few other routes thrown in, or is he generally a slot guy, with a few flanker routes tossed in, etc.

Anyone know his 40 time?

I really don't know what his time in the 40 is-probably over 5.0-but he doesn't rely on speed.He has a knack for running good routes and patterns as well as getting open,and he has very good hands and jumping ability.They have several other receivers with better speed,along with one of the better TE's in 1-AA.Should be a good game on Saturday.Good luck!

TigerFan17
September 15th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I really don't know what his time in the 40 is-probably over 5.0-but he doesn't rely on speed.He has a knack for running good routes and patterns as well as getting open,and he has very good hands and jumping ability.They have several other receivers with better speed,along with one of the better TE's in 1-AA.Should be a good game on Saturday.Good luck!

Over 5.0? There is no way a WR would ever get a scholarship if they can't at least dip into the fours. Linemen out of high school run like 5.1's and 5.2's.

Can't wait for saturday. Finally a real test to see how good (or bad) we are. Good luck!

rcny46
September 15th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Over 5.0? There is no way a WR would ever get a scholarship if they can't at least dip into the fours. Linemen out of high school run like 5.1's and 5.2's.

Can't wait for saturday. Finally a real test to see how good (or bad) we are. Good luck!

As far as I know,Ball didn't come to UNH on a football scholarship,and didn't receive any offers from any other schools.He was a track guy-a high jumper-and joined the FB program after arriving there.UNH has a history of picking up players who were basically ignored by everyone.Two who come to mind are Jerry Azumah,currently with the bears who was the Payton Award winner after his senior year-one offer(Northeastern) out of high school,and Santos who had some offers,but none for his QB abilities.

blukeys
September 15th, 2005, 09:17 PM

Trust me Ball runs better than 5.0 in the 40. Unless they timed him in a cow pasture outside of Dover, New Hampshire he is not at 5.0

IMHO One of the most overrated stats for recruits is the 40 times. I have seen players who have "4.2 times" who have never panned out. There are 40 times that are measured in perfect conditions and then there is football speed. I'll take the football speed. I have no clue what Brian Westbrook's 40 times were and I have never seen them posted. But for the crucial first 5 steps I have never seen anyone faster. ;) ;)

rcny46
September 15th, 2005, 10:02 PM

Not to belabor the point,but I will contact the football office tomorrow re:Ball's 40 yd. times,and if I can get an answer,I'll let you know.

TigerFan17
September 16th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks. I'm just trying to get an idea of what type of receiver he is, as I have never seen him in action. I guess I'll found out tomorrow!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 16th, 2005, 01:24 PM
rcny46 is correct, Ball didn't come to UNH with a football scholarship. He had a track scholarship (high jumper) and was given the opportunity to try out for football. UNH has historically also given kids the opportunity to play more than one sport. Examples over the years have been Carlton Fisk (basketball scholarship and played baseball), Rich Gale (basketball scholarship and played baseball, pitched for the Royals and Red Sox), Rod Langway (played football, baseball AND ice hockey, played in the NHL, I think he was on a hockey scholarship). Longer seasons these days have limited the number of multi-sport kids, but to my knowledge the chance to play football was a major factor in Ball choosing UNH.

Ball is 6'3" and a high jumper so as you'd expect he can elevate. IMHO, he's a poster child for not using 40 speed as the primary criteria for evaluating WRs. He runs good routes, he gets open, has excellent hands, has great timing with Santos, has excellent body control at the sideline, etc. And his speed can't be that bad because I recall a few TDs last year where DBs couldn't run himdown. The game winner at UD comes to mind.

Time to hit the road for the trip south!!

rcny46
September 16th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks. I'm just trying to get an idea of what type of receiver he is, as I have never seen him in action. I guess I'll found out tomorrow!

I called the football office regarding your question about David Ball,and was told the coaches might know his 40 yd.time,but they are all down in Your neck of the woods.No luck there.I then called the head track coach and he said his times,to the best of his knowledge,were in the 4.57-4.61 range.He has a vertical leap of 43 inches.Hope that helps.Take care.

UNH 1999
September 16th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I think this game will be closer than last years played up in Durham. With that said, I still think the 'Cats will win by at least 10 with Santos and Ball leading the way for UNH.

Here's to listening to another season of UNH football online! :nod: