PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared - Week 4, Fall 2023

Preferred Walk-On
September 23rd, 2023, 10:24 PM
There is one game still in progress (Eastern Washington @ UC Davis), but to be sure there is a sheet ready when this game ends, I am posting this week's How They Fared.

To see results involving AGS Top 40 teams (and even some that were previously in this group), CLICK HERE (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z0wt1o3w4w_FEdhtT-3yBgBs2b2NuAeniohV3gq2lw0/edit?usp=sharing).

As per usual, I will update the last game either later tonight or more likely tomorrow morning. Should be some good discussion about teams for consideration, due to some losses within the Top 25 and wins by ORVs.

Professor Chaos
September 23rd, 2023, 10:26 PM
After last week's bore-fest of results this week should be some fun.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/1d186fbcb3995bb71cceefa852862530/tenor.gif

wapiti
September 23rd, 2023, 11:01 PM
To keep the ags world as it should. Furman is not allowed to jump Sac State in the poll

Professor Chaos
September 23rd, 2023, 11:28 PM
This week feels like an opportune moment to point out that at this point 2019 we had 90 voters submitting ballots and last week we had just 44. Throw your opinion out there and don't be afraid to accept criticism. Or just keep your vote to yourself but listen to the discussion each week in the poll thread. I guarantee that, as a poll voter, you'll find Saturdays much more interesting than they had previously been.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2023, 12:02 AM
I promise, I will not be ranking any Ivies this week! Also, 3 Big Sky teams in the Top 25? Hmm...maybe 4? EWU seems to be picking up steam....

Professor Chaos
September 24th, 2023, 12:07 AM
I promise, I will not be ranking any Ivies this week! Also, 3 Big Sky teams in the Top 25? Hmm...maybe 4? EWU seems to be picking up steam....
So far this year we've found out the Big Sky has 3 really good teams.

After that.....

Professor Chaos
September 24th, 2023, 12:44 AM
Just as an FYI if you get to about #16 and you're thinking "none of these ****s should be ranked" you're doing it right". xthumbsupx

Mike296
September 24th, 2023, 02:11 AM
Just as an FYI if you get to about #16 and you're thinking "none of these ****s should be ranked" you're doing it right". xthumbsupx

This is very accurate of my experience this week….

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 24th, 2023, 06:37 AM
Is Montana their usual "paper tiger" self?

Chalupa Batman
September 24th, 2023, 06:46 AM
Missouri State should be on people's radars. 1-1 vs. FCS with a last minute loss at ranked UT Martin and they just beat Utah Tech as bad as Montana State did.

ElCid
September 24th, 2023, 08:02 AM

Get out of my mind!

Ah, yup.

crusader11
September 24th, 2023, 08:05 AM
See ya, Montana.

See ya, SEMO.

See ya, Rhodey.

See ya, Mercer.

ElCid
September 24th, 2023, 08:12 AM
This week feels like an opportune moment to point out that at this point 2019 we had 90 voters submitting ballots and last week we had just 44. Throw your opinion out there and don't be afraid to accept criticism. Or just keep your vote to yourself but listen to the discussion each week in the poll thread. I guarantee that, as a poll voter, you'll find Saturdays much more interesting than they had previously been.

I noticed this. I was getting a bit concerned about it 90 -> 44. Has interest dropped by this much. But when you consider that probably about 6-10 just don't have time for whatever legit reason, then all the JMU, Sam Houston, and JSU fans probably make up another 25-30 of those, it hasn't dropped off that much. New folks just haven't stepped up yet.

Come on guys, it's not hard. A bit of research each week. A bit of fun viewing of games you might not otherwise watch. Well except for the CAA since their games are shown on some double secret probation network site.

ElCid
September 24th, 2023, 08:13 AM
See ya, Montana.

See ya, SEMO.

See ya, Rhodey.

See ya, Mercer.

Get out of my mind!

crusader11
September 24th, 2023, 08:17 AM
Get out of my mind!

In looking at how soft the bottom five or so teams will be in the top 25, I think one of these teams might be ranked my default. This is going to be tricky.

Chalupa Batman
September 24th, 2023, 08:35 AM
In looking at how soft the bottom five or so teams will be in the top 25, I think one of these teams might be ranked my default. This is going to be tricky.

I think SEMO will still be in mine, and maybe Mercer too.

caribbeanhen
September 24th, 2023, 09:00 AM
See ya, Montana.

See ya, SEMO.

See ya, Rhodey.

See ya, Mercer.

and UC Davis

caribbeanhen
September 24th, 2023, 09:02 AM
I think SEMO will still be in mine, and maybe Mercer too.

I think I asked you about Austin Peay a few weeks ago and you left me standing at the alter

kalm
September 24th, 2023, 09:04 AM
I noticed this. I was getting a bit concerned about it 90 -> 44. Has interest dropped by this much. But when you consider that probably about 6-10 just don't have time for whatever legit reason, then all the JMU, Sam Houston, and JSU fans probably make up another 25-30 of those, it hasn't dropped off that much. New folks just haven't stepped up yet.

Come on guys, it's not hard. A bit of research each week. A bit of fun viewing of games you might not otherwise watch. Well except for the CAA since their games are shown on some double secret probation network site.

Also social media and Socisl media groups. Everyone seems to have migrated that direction and there are tons of polls posted.

I’m going to wake up the AGS and Wedge FB and X accounts a little bit. Follow both if you can.

ElCid
September 24th, 2023, 09:24 AM
Also social media and Socisl media groups. Everyone seems to have migrated that direction and there are tons of polls posted.

I’m going to wake up the AGS and Wedge FB and X accounts a little bit. Follow both if you can.

Yeah that makes little sense to me. I see absolutely no difference between those venues from a practical standpoint. And there may be others polls, but they are little more than cheap imitations of the AGS poll.😊

I would follow them, but I don't do any of them. Never have.

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2023, 09:44 AM

All of this. I got to 17 and then went, "well **** me".

caribbeanhen
September 24th, 2023, 09:52 AM
Hello Villanova

SeattleCat
September 24th, 2023, 10:02 AM
Missouri State should be on people's radars. 1-1 vs. FCS with a last minute loss at ranked UT Martin and they just beat Utah Tech as bad as Montana State did.

Montana State could have hung over 100 on Tech. The dogs were called off at half time. Bobcats would Boatrace Missouri state.

MSUBobcat
September 24th, 2023, 10:26 AM

All of this. I got to 17 and then went, "well **** me".

I thought I'd give it a go and start voting again. Then I hit the wall that everyone has mentioned. Truthfully, I think I have only 12 that I feel good about.

Chalupa Batman
September 24th, 2023, 10:59 AM
Montana State could have hung over 100 on Tech. The dogs were called off at half time. Bobcats would Boatrace Missouri state.

Settle down there turbo, I'm not saying Missouri State should be ranked as highly as Montana State.

But FWIW you were up 35-10 at halftime over Utah Tech and Missouri State was up 38-14 so it looks like they called off the dogs too?

POD Knows
September 24th, 2023, 11:02 AM
I think SEMO will still be in mine, and maybe Mercer too.SEMO is 1-3, at some point in time you need to win a freaking FB game, they are out of my poll, Dropped Mercer as well, ZERO quality wins.

POD Knows
September 24th, 2023, 11:05 AM
Hello VillanovaI had them in my poll pretty early on, I think they are an OK football team but that is what you get in the back half of the poll

Milktruck74
September 24th, 2023, 11:09 AM

I voted consistently for a few years. I haven't voted in the last couple because I don't feel like I can give it the time/effort it deserves each and every week. If there was an option to jump in and out, I might consider doing it again, but I don't want to vote if I am not devoting the time it deserves.

caribbeanhen
September 24th, 2023, 11:31 AM
SEMO is 1-3, at some point in time you need to win a freaking FB game, they are out of my poll, Dropped Mercer as well, ZERO quality wins.

Yea when we SEMO wins I’ll think about including them

Chalupa Batman
September 24th, 2023, 11:32 AM
I think I asked you about Austin Peay a few weeks ago and you left me standing at the alter

Yeah you stated Yale would have there way with Austin Peay and I said you may very well be right. But as to specifically what I saw in Austin Peay, they were a decent team last year and returned almost all of their production from what I could tell. So there ya go.

Speaking of Austin Peay, since they went into the house of the #25 team in your poll last week and won, do they get a look from you now? :D

SEMO is 1-3, at some point in time you need to win a freaking FB game, they are out of my poll, Dropped Mercer as well, ZERO quality wins.

Yeah they are barely hanging in. They are 1-2 against FCS with a last second loss to top 10 SIU and last second road loss to an EKU team that is going to be in my top 20. Keeping them in for this week at least.

POD Knows
September 24th, 2023, 11:39 AM
Yeah you stated Yale would have there way with Austin Peay and I said you may very well be right. But as to specifically what I saw in Austin Peay, they were a decent team last year and returned almost all of their production from what I could tell. So there ya go.

Speaking of Austin Peay, since they went into the house of the #25 team in your poll last week and won, do they get a look from you now? :D

Yeah they are barely hanging in. They are 1-2 against FCS with a last second loss to top 10 SIU and last second road loss to an EKU team that is going to be in my top 20. Keeping them in for this week at least.EKU has had a brutal schedule, I am gonna wait a game or two on them before I rank them, I had them in my poll earlier and dropped them out.

Chalupa Batman
September 24th, 2023, 11:43 AM
EKU has had a brutal schedule, I am gonna wait a game or two on them before I rank them, I had them in my poll earlier and dropped them out.

EKU gave Western Carolina all they could handle and they look really good now and also giving them decent props for beating SEMO. Maybe too much props but we'll see.

There's so many teams in the 15-35 range that are so hard to distinguish from one another.

McCowboys
September 24th, 2023, 12:07 PM
I hope in this week's poll the "most significant loss" choice is a multiple choice answer so we can select four or five teams. Some real shockers and massacres this week!

caribbeanhen
September 24th, 2023, 12:27 PM

Yeah they are barely hanging in. They are 1-2 against FCS with a last second loss to top 10 SIU and last second road loss to an EKU team that is going to be in my top 20. Keeping them in for this week at least.

Yes AP is in

kalm
September 24th, 2023, 01:06 PM
Yeah that makes little sense to me. I see absolutely no difference between those venues from a practical standpoint. And there may be others polls, but they are little more than cheap imitations of the AGS poll.😊

I would follow them, but I don't do any of them. Never have.

I don’t disagree at all on the validity of AGS. My point is social probably has an impact on our #’s. Retention as well as adding new voters. Part of it is generational too.

taper
September 24th, 2023, 01:22 PM
This might be a first for me. Weber got beat 40-0 and I think I'm going to move them up a spot in my poll because I have to move UNH down, but I'm not ready to move others that high.

wmmii
September 24th, 2023, 01:26 PM
Nova and Blue Hens had good wins and should be rewarded

MR. CHICKEN
September 24th, 2023, 01:35 PM

....AN'...WESTERN CAROLINA HAS SOME GOOD DUBBYA'S....3-1.....(SAMFORD/E. KENTUCKY).......AN' UH THRASHIN'.....UH CHUCK SOUFF.......SEVERAL TEAMS AHEAD OF 'EM LOST........AS WELL...........DOODLE-DOO!

ps......NOBODAH LOSIN' 40-ZIP......DESERVES MOVIN' UP..........BUT DAT'S JES ME...xwhistlex.....AWK!

grizband
September 24th, 2023, 01:59 PM
I don’t disagree at all on the validity of AGS. My point is social probably has an impact on our #’s. Retention as well as adding new voters. Part of it is generational too.
Facebook and other social media pages all have their own FCS and team dedicated sites. Montana alone has two or three pages on Facebook, and I think there are two FCS related pages.

Vandal03
September 24th, 2023, 02:16 PM
I voted consistently for a few years. I haven't voted in the last couple because I don't feel like I can give it the time/effort it deserves each and every week. If there was an option to jump in and out, I might consider doing it again, but I don't want to vote if I am not devoting the time it deserves.

I voted one year and it was so much work. I admire the 44 who vote because it is a major time commitment. The variety of non-conference schedules makes it difficult to compare teams in two conferences. It would be easier with more FCS vs FCS non-conference games. After the top three, I don’t know how I would vote this week.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2023, 02:27 PM

All of that and add NDSU to that list because we've had a pretty good portion or them bow out too. But the main thing seems that the Covid year off made a lot of people just leave the fold altogether with the poll, and I haven't looked real closely but probably overall on the site as well.

Mike296
September 24th, 2023, 02:27 PM
I voted one year and it was so much work. I admire the 44 who vote because it is a major time commitment. The variety of non-conference schedules makes it difficult to compare teams in two conferences. It would be easier with more FCS vs FCS non-conference games. After the top three, I don’t know how I would vote this week.

As a current voter, I’ll admit that it’s a big commitment. But it’s also satisfying in the sense that you get to show what you may have seen on the field and apply that knowledge to something productive. I think a lot of us in the community can agree that other polls just don’t make sense sometimes. The AGS poll is something of a melting pot of truth and opinion. People are human and will make mistakes at times(I’ve made mistakes in the past myself) but the fact of the matter is that they made those mistakes based on how they felt things should be.

taper
September 24th, 2023, 02:31 PM
I had to take a few years hiatus from voting but am back in again. Wish I could have done it continuously. If you're a football fan it's a whole lot more fun looking at the entire subdivision instead of just your own conference. If you can find an hour or so on Sunday voting is definitely worth it. The more voters we have the more the individual "errors" get averaged out.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2023, 02:39 PM
I hope in this week's poll the "most significant loss" choice is a multiple choice answer so we can select four or five teams. Some real shockers and massacres this week!

It is really sort of weird because this seems to happen every year when a lot of "good" teams just fall at once. It seems to be around the same time but I'm not solid on that. I think our collective expectations just need an adjustment because reality sets in and this is part of that process. Montana should probably not be on any ballots but there is mediocrity at the bottom of the poll it appears so some people will look at a poor resume' that is 3-1 and think it looks better....it isn't. Montana has problems from top to bottom.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2023, 02:50 PM
I had to take a few years hiatus from voting but am back in again. Wish I could have done it continuously. If you're a football fan it's a whole lot more fun looking at the entire subdivision instead of just your own conference. If you can find an hour or so on Sunday voting is definitely worth it. The more voters we have the more the individual "errors" get averaged out.

When there was no AGS and so forth I'd spend most of the day Sunday reading articles etc. and trying to find out how everyone around the country did anyway just because it is/was what I really enjoyed doing. Now, it's so easy to have it all in one place like this it is amazing to the former me that **** like this would ever exist. I think people don't have to work for it too much so they don't really care to put in the effort. I even get that way sometimes with it all.

But I still like spending the Sunday reflecting on the FCS.

TheKingpin28
September 24th, 2023, 03:34 PM
The only poll where voters are held accountable for their votes/(biases) and in turn, actually makes people better for it. One person turned in their "media poll" on Twitter (I won't name who but go take a peek at it) and he is getting rightfully ripped for it.

It is really bad, I mean really bad, but the thing about the media vs AGS poll, is I can guarantee you that if Montana or SEMO are in the AGS poll (which they shouldn't be), that ours will have them near the bottom but I expect the media poll to have them mid teens/high teens.

Don't even get me started on the "Coaches" poll.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

crusader11
September 24th, 2023, 03:59 PM
Please give a hint on said poll.

ElCid
September 24th, 2023, 04:28 PM
Yea when we SEMO wins I’ll think about including them

Nice.

ElCid
September 24th, 2023, 04:40 PM
All of that and add NDSU to that list because we've had a pretty good portion or them bow out too. But the main thing seems that the Covid year off made a lot of people just leave the fold altogether with the poll, and I haven't looked real closely but probably overall on the site as well.

I have a theory. Our attendance dropped big time when our stadium home side was leveled and rebuilt like 15 years ago. That side was closed for a season or two. Never got the numbers back to the preconstruction numbers. Break people's habits and they start new ones. The virus did that for a lot of things. So yeah it makes sense. That's interesting about the NDSU fans. Hard to see why.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 24th, 2023, 08:35 PM
I have a theory. Our attendance dropped big time when our stadium home side was leveled and rebuilt like 15 years ago. That side was closed for a season or two. Never got the numbers back to the preconstruction numbers. Break people's habits and they start new ones. The virus did that for a lot of things. So yeah it makes sense. That's interesting about the NDSU fans. Hard to see why.

I think your theory is dead on my man.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2023, 11:43 PM
Just did my poll. Few thoughts....
- The Newark Chickens have won me over some....
- EWU was my 4th and final BSC team ranked....
- I don't believe NC Central gets enough respect. They might not play the toughest schedule but they beat-up on who they do play. That's all you can do...
- I'll maintain Weber State and UC Davis are flaky. Montana seemingly so too. But, Montana State, Idaho and Sac State look filthy....
- The PL just might have their strongest auto and at-large team ever in the same season. 2004 is probably the best 1-2 combo yet the PL teams didn't win a game (context matters, look up the results)

Catbooster
September 25th, 2023, 12:20 AM
This one was tough. Lots of movement. I fully expect some teams in my poll to make big moves up or down again next week. I'm not real confident of quite a few of the teams I've ranked.

As far as participating in the poll, like Ursus said, most of us here spend a considerable amount of time anyway. We discuss the teams and poll positions, argue about who's better. If you consider all of the time spent, it's a fair amount but much of it will be spent anyway on reading comments and talking about the teams. There's some extra time spent, but I'd guess it's a couple hours on Saturday/Sunday for me. IMO, it's worth it to have a better understanding of teams across FCS rather than just paying attention to my own conference. I've learned a lot, and pay closer attention to teams on the other side of the country since I've been voting.

I think people worry about making a mistake, or that their poll needs to be perfect, but none of us get it completely right. I feel like many of the people who don't participate have just as good or more likely better knowledge of the teams than I do but I participate. I hope more of you will consider joining in on the poll.

And as Taper pointed out, the more polls there are submitted, the more it washes out the mistakes.

SCPALADIN
September 25th, 2023, 08:18 AM

Most challenging #15-25 in a while.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2023, 10:24 AM
Boters you have just over a 1/2 hr. to cast a ballot so get on it if you haven't.

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2023, 10:48 AM
Boters you have just over a 1/2 hr. to cast a ballot so get on it if you haven't.

maybe we could use some Bots with the voter numbers dropping

MR. CHICKEN
September 25th, 2023, 10:57 AM
......WHAA NOT....LET AI....SETTLE DUH POLLS........AH'D COOD SLEEP IN....SUNDAY AM's........BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
September 25th, 2023, 11:20 AM

WEEK #4 AI POLL:

1 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
2 ATLANTA BRAVES
3 NEOPOLITAN ICE CREAM
4 LIBYA
5 STONY BROOK
6 TAYLOR SWIFT
7 WALMART
8 NORTH DAKOTA
9 NORTH DAKOTA STATE
10 PICKLEBALL
11 YELLOWSTONE
12 WM & MARY
13 CHINESE FOOD
14 LOTTO FEVER
15 OSBORNE BROTHERS
16 MUHAWKS
17 MONTANA
18 NIKE
19 YOKO ONO
20 NEWARK 5 & 10
21 COST OF LIVING
22 MODERNA
23 THC GUMMIES
24 SMASH & GRAB ROBBERIES
25 LEHIGH

BEST WIN..........HOLLYWOOD WRITERS
WORST LOSS......WEBER STATE

FUBeAR
September 25th, 2023, 11:23 AM

SAMPLE UH AI POLL:

1 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
2 ATLANTA BRAVES
3 NEOPOLITAN ICE CREAM
4 LIBYA
5 STONY BROOK
6 TAYLOR SWIFT
7 WALMART
8 NORTH DAKOTA
9 NORTH DAKOTA STATE
10 PICKLEBALL
11 YELLOWSTONE
12 WM & MARY
13 CHINESE FOOD
14 LOTTO FEVER
15 OSBORNE BROTHERS
16 MUHAWKS
17 MONTANA
18 NIKE
19 YOKO ONO
20 NEWARK 5 & 10
21 COST OF LIVING
22 MODERNA
23 THC GUMMIES
25 LEHIGH

THIS IS POLL PERFECTION!!!!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2023, 11:34 AM

I definitely submitted mine but still haven't received an emailed copy. No worries, just a heads up...

caribbeanhen
September 25th, 2023, 12:04 PM

WEEK #4 AI POLL:

1 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
2 ATLANTA BRAVES
3 NEOPOLITAN ICE CREAM
4 LIBYA
5 STONY BROOK
6 TAYLOR SWIFT
7 WALMART
8 NORTH DAKOTA
9 NORTH DAKOTA STATE
10 PICKLEBALL
11 YELLOWSTONE
12 WM & MARY
13 CHINESE FOOD
14 LOTTO FEVER
15 OSBORNE BROTHERS
16 MUHAWKS
17 MONTANA
18 NIKE
19 YOKO ONO
20 NEWARK 5 & 10
21 COST OF LIVING
22 MODERNA
23 THC GUMMIES
25 LEHIGH

Last sighted sitting on the Living Legends Speaker during the filming of Let it Be que xsmhx

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2023, 12:18 PM
maybe we could use some Bots with the voter numbers dropping

xlolx

I used a "B". That was a good pick up to slide bots in there. Well done.

That SEMO line yesterday was damn good too. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2023, 12:22 PM
I definitely submitted mine but still haven't received an emailed copy. No worries, just a heads up...

Yeah, I'll go try again but if submit late in the day Sunday or early Monday they won't probably get sent until late Monday or Tuesday morning.

ElCid
September 25th, 2023, 12:29 PM
xlolx

I used a "B". That was a good pick up to slide bots in there. Well done.

That SEMO line yesterday was damn good too. xlolx

Yeah, he is batting 1000 lately

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2023, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I'll go try again but if submit late in the day Sunday or early Monday they won't probably get sent until late Monday or Tuesday morning.

It worked.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 25th, 2023, 12:39 PM
It worked.

Thanks Ursus!

ursus arctos horribilis
September 25th, 2023, 12:45 PM
Thanks Ursus!xthumbsupx