PDA

View Full Version : The news at Western Carolina is...

WCU LawCat
December 2nd, 2007, 11:54 AM
That the Catamounts have chosen Alabama A&M head coach Anthony Jones as new Head Coach. Jones is 49-21 at Alabama A&M.

This is not yet official and right now could be considered a rumor but Jones was in Cullowhee at the basketball game last night and a source close to the program stated that he was the new head coach.

furman94
December 2nd, 2007, 12:09 PM
Interesting...

813Jag
December 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Interesting. xreadx

WCU LawCat
December 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Tell me about it....but if it is true I like the hire.

813Jag
December 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
I've seen Jones coach, I won't say much on this topic yet.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
I like the hire if true. A proven head coach will be a lot less risky than a fairly well known position coach.

WCU LawCat
December 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
We will be very interested in hearing what you SWAC fans have to say about him when you are ready to weight in.

813Jag
December 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
We will be very interested in hearing what you SWAC fans have to say about him when you are ready to weight in.
I don't know if he'll bring his coordinators with him, but he is a run first coach, they threw the ball mostly to the tight end. Defense was his calling card at AAMU, they blitzed but were subject to the big play. I do think he's a good coach.

catamount man
December 2nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
That the Catamounts have chosen Alabama A&M head coach Anthony Jones as new Head Coach. Jones is 49-21 at Alabama A&M.

This is not yet official and right now could be considered a rumor but Jones was in Cullowhee at the basketball game last night and a source close to the program stated that he was the new head coach.

He and his family were in Cullowhee yesterday and were at the CofC-WCU basketball game last night at the Ramsey Center. I was at a bar in Clemson when a source called me from Cullowhee.

Looking at this coach's track record, I am stoked!!! Sanders may have had the FBS personality and big name, but Coach Jones has the fcs RECORD to prove he can coach good football.

WELCOME TO CULLOWHEE COACH ANTHONY JONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xthumbsupx

WCU LawCat
December 2nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
RUN FIRST! That by itself will have a lot of Catamounts happy. Bring back the days of Hoover and Boatang! Our top two QB's are moble and we have two standout redshirt freshman tailbacks waiting for a chance to play.

BigApp
December 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM
strange...

813Jag
December 2nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
RUN FIRST! That by itself will have a lot of Catamounts happy. Bring back the days of Hoover and Boatang! Our top two QB's are moble and we have two standout redshirt freshman tailbacks waiting for a chance to play.
I think he'll do a good job. He's won at least 7 games every year at AAMU.

catamount man
December 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
I think he'll do a good job. He's won at least 7 games every year at AAMU.

Hell, he'll be elected Sheriff of Jackson County if he does the same in Cullowhee. xlolx xlolx xlolx

I am glad we are gonna get this man!xthumbsupx

catamount man
December 2nd, 2007, 05:26 PM

You think Willie Harper and Quan Warley are jacked at this opportunity?!!!

I wish the U would come out and make it official. Maybe tomorrow?

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU LawCat
December 2nd, 2007, 05:56 PM
My guess is that if the deal is done with Jones then we will hear something by 2 or 3pm Monday. Don't forget about Wright. I hear he has some real tallent

GaSouthern
December 2nd, 2007, 06:21 PM
He and his family were in Cullowhee yesterday and were at the CofC-WCU basketball game last night at the Ramsey Center. I was at a bar in Clemson when a source called me from Cullowhee.

Looking at this coach's track record, I am stoked!!! Sanders may have had the FBS personality and big name, but Coach Jones has the fcs RECORD to prove he can coach good football.

Trust a GSU fan on this one...

Records are 1000000X more important than a big name from a big league, just look at our 2006 and 2007 records for more evidence.

Looks like you guys got a GREAT hire in this one! xthumbsupx

catamount man
December 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Trust a GSU fan on this one...

Records are 1000000X more important than a big name from a big league, just look at our 2006 and 2007 records for more evidence.

Looks like you guys got a GREAT hire in this one! xthumbsupx

I hope so and I hope it's made official TOMORROW!!! Got to get out on the recruiting trail.

Here's hoping this man and his staff get us to the top of the SoCon!!!xthumbsupx

Mr. Tiger
December 3rd, 2007, 12:46 AM
Jones is a solid coach. xthumbsupx His teams play fundamentally sound. His quarterbacks make few mistakes. Alabama A&M doesn't beat themselves. If you beat them, you earn it.

chattanoogamocs
December 3rd, 2007, 01:07 AM
I would much rather have a proven winner from a great DII program or another FCS program than have a "big time" assisntant.

And trust me, as a Chattanooga fan who never misses a game...I know whence I speak! (all we every do is get big school assistants and you can see where that's gotten the Mocs over the last 20 years :()

These big time assistants have never had to work within a budget...DII coaches and other FCS coaches know what it is like to not be able to just throw a ton of money at any problem...they gotta stretch every penny.

Not to mention, at the FCS level, you are much less likely to get away with players who get into trouble or don't go to class...they can't cover that stuff up like they do at BCS schools.

Not to say that assistants can't do a good job, but there is an undeniable culture shock budget-wise (and facilities-wise) that some of these guys never get past.

WCU_FL_Alum
December 3rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Just because he was in town doesn't mean anything is offical. Rumor is Randy Sanders has also been in town for his interview. I think everyone is jumping the gun a bit here........

SuperJon
December 3rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Everyone's jumping the gun big-time. This isn't official yet by any means.

citdog
December 3rd, 2007, 11:03 AM
WCU has talent. whomever the new coach is will not have to start from scratch.

WCU LawCat
December 3rd, 2007, 11:09 AM
Ok here is the update this morning. It appears that Anthony Jones is clearly a cadidate but clearly has not yet been offered the job. i appoligize for leaking out a rumor.
http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1196677025266280.xml&coll=1

citdog
December 3rd, 2007, 11:11 AM
Ok here is the update this morning. It appears that Anthony Jones is clearly a cadidate but clearly has not yet been offered the job. i appoligize for leaking out a rumor.
http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1196677025266280.xml&coll=1

DAMN LAWYERSxsmiley_wix

MarkCCU
December 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Sounds like the Bama coach would be a good fit for y'alls program.

WCU LawCat
December 3rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Geoff Collins at Alabama

or Anthony Jones at Alabama A&M

PS - I'm not a Lawyer xwhistlex

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2007, 12:55 PM

Exactly...don't make the GSU/VanGorder/name recognition mistake.

[EDIT] Oops, someone already made this comment....well, you ge the idea

WCU_FL_Alum
December 3rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
I'm still pulling for Sanders but, if he doesn't come to Cullowhee...I'm optimistic the program is going to rebound!!xnodx

AppMan
December 3rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Hell, he'll be elected Sheriff of Jackson County if he does the same in Cullowhee. xlolx xlolx xlolx

I was about to weigh in with something along those lines, but you beat me to it. Good luck to the new coach in 10 games next season!

back2back
December 3rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
What's your definition of rebound?

The Moody1
December 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
I'm still pulling for Sanders but, if he doesn't come to Cullowhee...I'm optimistic the program is going to rebound!!xnodx

There is no where to go but up. ;)

WCU_FL_Alum
December 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
You have a point!

Jiggs
December 3rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
Sounds like the Bama coach would be a good fit for y'alls program.

Saban? He'll deny he's leaving, though.

catamount man
December 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM
To ALL Alabama A&M fans, and everybody in general, I apologize for posting a rumor and I let it get WAY out of hand. I just want a coach hired and I want my team to be a winner and that, I will NOT apologize for.

I trust our AD, but we need to get all the ball with this one!!!xthumbsupx xmadx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Eyes of Old Main
December 7th, 2007, 11:24 PM
WCU has talent. whomever the new coach is will not have to start from scratch.

Very true. It'll be fun to see what they can do without being drug down by their coach. Good luck to WCU in their search.