PDA

View Full Version : Trouble at Stony Brook

faxjusfax
April 22nd, 2005, 02:03 PM
This can't be good news for their football program that was trying to graduate from the mid-major ranks to a full-fledged IAA conference. (loss of scholarships and probation 'til 2008)

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-sksbu224228223apr22,0,3960900.story?coll=ny-collegesports-headlines

TheValleyRaider
April 22nd, 2005, 03:27 PM
All things considered, it doesn't actually sound that bad. According to the chart on the bottom, they only lose 1 1/2 scholarships for football, and 12 1/2 overall. Granted, I don't know what the terms of their probation are, but it seems like they just made a bunch of clerical errors, and lose the scholarships for a few years. If they can't "recover" from that, maybe football isn't right for them.

bluehenbillk
April 22nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
I have to admit I was kinda surprised to see that Stony Brook got put on probation. Wouldn't expect it.

mainejeff
April 22nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
They are not a BCS school so the NCAA gave them the stiffest penalty possible.......

GannonFan
April 22nd, 2005, 09:17 PM
Aw come on Jeffie, you know that Stony Brook is just an outlaw program cutting all the corners to put together their athletic program! Is this what the AEast has sunk too??? :p

DFW HOYA
April 23rd, 2005, 02:17 PM
They are not a BCS school so the NCAA gave them the stiffest penalty possible.......

NCAA penalties? These were self imposed and the NCAA accepted them.

colgate13
April 25th, 2005, 07:17 AM
I can see how Stony Brook screwed up. I know that Colgate has been bending over backwards trying to make sure we do everything correctly in the transisiton to scholarships in other sports besides football. It can be quite a daunting process and require significant change for a school that's never given scholarships before.

mainejeff
April 25th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Stony Brook put themselves on 3 years of probation and took away 12.5 scholarships from themselves? I doubt it.

colgate13
April 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Stony Brook put themselves on 3 years of probation and took away 12.5 scholarships from themselves? I doubt it.
Why do you doubt it? The NCAA would have came in and done something. Often times schools self-imposing sanctions avoids harsher penalties from the NCAA. The NCAA didn't look at the situation as closed once SB sanctioned themselves but they agreed with it and decided no more was needed.

Heck, every school in the NCAA self-reports violations to the NCAA when it comes to compliance. The vast majority of them are minor. But if they're major, you're better off trying to fix the problem and admit guilt than trying to hide things from the NCAA and allow them to decide how to penalize you.

mainejeff
April 25th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I'd like to see some hard proof that Stony Brook imposed these sanctions themselves......that would be just plain stupid.

Marcus Garvey
April 25th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I'd like to see some hard proof that Stony Brook imposed these sanctions themselves......that would be just plain stupid.

Awwww... You're just bitter because the NCAA treats Maine's hockey program like their personal b!tch. Aren't you guys due to be slapped with sanctions again?

mainejeff
April 25th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the link ralph....I didn't realize that they were self-imposed.....pretty impressive for a school to do that.

Markiss Garvey.......Maine must have slapped your favorite team around the ice this season, huh? Ancient history Markiss.......let it go.

Marcus Garvey
April 25th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Markiss Garvey.......Maine must have slapped your favorite team around the ice this season, huh? Ancient history Markiss.......let it go.

Wow... nice to know somethings never change.
Incidently, self-imposed sanctions are pretty standard. Schools will do it as "good faith" measure. It show's the NCAA that they're serious about fixing the problems. The primary reason is that by sanctioning themselves, they hope to avoid a harsher verdict from the NCAA. This wasn't altruism on Stony Brooks parts. Plenty of I-A schools have attempted this.

BTW...
Actually, having a favorite college ice hockey team for me is like having a favorite MLS team or favorite PWBA bowler.

ISUMatt
April 25th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Wow... nice to know somethings never change.
Actually, having a favorite college ice hockey team for me is like having a favorite MLS team or favorite PWBA bowler.

You like the CHicago Fire too??? :p

colgate13
April 26th, 2005, 08:35 AM
seriously jeff - there are some schools (a lot of them actually) that try to play by the rules and when they screw up take responsibility for it. It shouldn't be that surprising.

mainejeff
April 26th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah, most of the BCS schools are always very forthcoming......especially in the SEC.

bluehenbillk
April 26th, 2005, 11:46 AM
It's not like their star LB was caught with a year's worth of steroids in the back seat of his car...Cooper.....wink wink.

Marcus Garvey
April 26th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Yeah, most of the BCS schools are always very forthcoming......especially in the SEC.

Read these:
Michigan: http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2002/1107/1457316.html

Rutgers: http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/0616/1569070.html

U-Dub: http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/0616/1569070.html

No SEC schools listed, but last I checked, Michigan and Washington are I-A schools with big-time football programs.