PDA

View Full Version : CAA Bryant Add

Sitting Bull
September 21st, 2023, 09:17 AM
Just curious if anyone has a definitive on how the Bryant add could/will help the scheduling gaps which I think most saw an issue with many of the 2023 schedules.

The CAA did confirm the scheduling plans when we were at 15. There were 5 pods of 3 teams. For W&M, it included UR and Hampton as annual games with the others rotating over 5 years.

With Bryant, I’m assuming (hoping) we will go to 4 pods which will add one more annual opponent per member. My hope would be something like:

Pod 1: Maine/URI/UNH/Bryant
Pod 2: UAlbany/SBU/Monmouth/Villanova
Pod 3: W&M/Richmond/Delaware/Towson
Pod 4: Elon/Hampton/Campbell/NC A&T

You play your pod annually and rotate the others over a five year period - which would allow you to accentuate some frequency with other rivals who may not be in your pod ( For W&M, would include Hampton, Villanova and Elon on the frequent but not annual list).

The UD/Villanova finale can still be set as an annual game.

Anyone have an idea if the CAA is moving toward this or similar pod set/up?

UNHWildcat18
September 21st, 2023, 09:22 AM
Just glad I'm not the one figuring that out! I wouldn't be surprised if the CAA makes some sort of post about it like they did when it was 15.

rhowdyram
September 21st, 2023, 09:23 AM
I don't think there was an official announcement, but I think that's what everyone's assumed. Maybe flip Villanova and Towson so the Villanova/Delaware game could remain every year.

kdinva
September 21st, 2023, 09:45 AM
been posted many times in the past...........two groups of 8; "CAA North", "CAA South", both apply for auto-bids w/NCAA

DFW HOYA
September 21st, 2023, 10:05 AM
The CAA will keep growing as a defensive strategy. Expect talk of 18 within a few years.

Sitting Bull
September 21st, 2023, 10:24 AM
The CAA will keep growing as a defensive strategy. Expect talk of 18 within a few years.

Not sure if you are just trying to be amusing but I actually think the CAA had been pretty smart on the expansion and current block of 16. It’s the direction most conferences are moving - or have already moved.

The number of posters and comments over the years about the CAAs demise are the real humor stories as things have developed.

DFW HOYA
September 21st, 2023, 10:41 AM
Not sure if you are just trying to be amusing but I actually think the CAA had been pretty smart on the expansion and current block of 16. It’s the direction most conferences are moving - or have already moved.

I was referring to talk that the CAA would pick up MEAC schools (Howard, Norfolk St.) when/if that league went south.

WestCoastAggie
September 21st, 2023, 10:45 AM
I was referring to talk that the CAA would pick up MEAC schools (Howard, Norfolk St.) when/if that league went south.

The NEC would also need members should the MEAC's demise ever came to fruition, which is very doubtful.

Those 8 teams (including Coppin St and UMES) aren't really going fielding any invites. And Howard's invite seemingly went to Bryant instead.

Sitting Bull
September 21st, 2023, 11:01 AM

I think based on everything I read, the CAA did want Howard to round out the 16 / part of the issue is they wanted Morgan State as a partner and that didn’t work in the CAA plan,

I personally think there’s a lot more money and exposure now if you’re in the MEAC. ESPN has embraced the HBCU network which is quite strong, I don’t blame Howard for solidifying the MEAC. Maybe they merge with the SWAC.

WestCoastAggie
September 21st, 2023, 11:31 AM
I think based on everything I read, the CAA did want Howard to round out the 16 / part of the issue is they wanted Morgan State as a partner and that didn’t work in the CAA plan,

I personally think there’s a lot more money and exposure now if you’re in the MEAC. ESPN has embraced the HBCU network which is quite strong, I don’t blame Howard for solidifying the MEAC. Maybe they merge with the SWAC.

The money isn't as much as you think it is. These TV networks aren't presenting some magic bean that's wiping out the wide gulfs in Athletics Funding between HBCUs and PWIs. If it really was, A&T would've never left the MEAC in the first place, along with Hampton.

Sitting Bull
September 21st, 2023, 01:38 PM
been posted many times in the past...........two groups of 8; "CAA North", "CAA South", both apply for auto-bids w/NCAA

Are you saying that was a confirmed direction? If so, I would be curious who is the “south”. It would need to include Delaware and possibly Villanova both? Towson would be a possible north member?

I personally don’t see that structure. It would mean 7 in division games and only one against the other division.

HensRock
September 21st, 2023, 01:39 PM
Just curious if anyone has a definitive on how the Bryant add could/will help the scheduling gaps which I think most saw an issue with many of the 2023 schedules.

The CAA did confirm the scheduling plans when we were at 15. There were 5 pods of 3 teams. For W&M, it included UR and Hampton as annual games with the others rotating over 5 years.

With Bryant, I’m assuming (hoping) we will go to 4 pods which will add one more annual opponent per member. My hope would be something like:

You play your pod annually and rotate the others over a five year period - which would allow you to accentuate some frequency with other rivals who may not be in your pod ( For W&M, would include Hampton, Villanova and Elon on the frequent but not annual list).

I think the layout of the conference with 16 teams makes it difficult to form 4-pods.
Honestly, I thought the 3-pod system made for some obvious geographic groupings.

https://gohens.net/images/CAA2023.png

centraljerseycat
September 21st, 2023, 02:07 PM
If Delaware leaves for the MAC then Villanova better join the Patriot or try to create a new football only conference instead of staying in this mess...especially with Richmond and William & Mary no longer part of the annual schedule.

FUBeAR
September 21st, 2023, 02:24 PM

Meanwhile … at Coastal Atheltic Association HQ, plans for growing additional Football Members are well underway…

https://www.fast-rewind.com/pix/cocoon1.jpg

rhowdyram
September 21st, 2023, 02:30 PM
If Delaware leaves for the MAC then Villanova better join the Patriot or try to create a new football only conference instead of staying in this mess...especially with Richmond and William & Mary no longer part of the annual schedule.

Albany, Bryant, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Richmond, and Villanova under the America East banner with some kind of scheduling agreement with the CAA?

mainejeff
September 21st, 2023, 07:48 PM
Albany, Bryant, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Richmond, and Villanova under the America East banner with some kind of scheduling agreement with the CAA?

Yes please.

caribbeanhen
September 21st, 2023, 08:03 PM
A fictitious letter written through the eyes of blue and gold fans everywhere relentlessly politicking UD officials for a move up to FBS

Read to the tune of the Beatles
“Paperback Writer”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperback_Writer

kids if you’re not familiar with this song, YouTube it up, as this works much better if you know the song … and besides, even though it’s almost 60 years old, it’s simplistically brilliant and younger than Blue & Gold
http://www.gohens.net/boards/download/file.php?id=1144Paperback6DC83E3E-7A0D-4ADD-A056-83AB1704C2F9.jpeg (23.21 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Guitar lead in ….

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yYvkICbTZIQ

Wont you read my letter
it could make you smile
Really Misses Rawak
We just wanna be in style

Got a manicure
so I must confess
Know I’ll be Sporting my Sunday best

But in the trailer park
known as FCS
The new coastal conference
is a stinky messssss

Letter head Writer (background vocals are challenging)
Letter head Writer………….

I heard you really like it
you know I’m always right
I’ll even drive you back from Ohio
on a Tuesday night

FBS
is what we really want
Even sent a letter out to Pete DuPont
Assanis and the Big Guy too
Don’t you laugh now
might send one to Uuuuuuuuuuu

Letterhead, writer, letterhead writer

"The way the song itself is shaped and the slow, contrapuntal statements from the backing voices – no one had really done that before."[21] In their backing vocals over the third verse, Lennon and Harrison sing the title of the French nursery rhyme "Frère Jacques".[22]

Took a look at the schedule
and what do you see
So many places I would rather be
Miss Chrissy just so you know
The Coastal conference
is not for meeeeeeeeee

They asked me if I was going up to Stony Brook
Last place you’ll see me
is on the bus with Mister Crook
If that bus was routed up to Buffalo
You’d be lookin at an overflow

If you’re ever down by North Carolina A&T
take a good look around
but you won’t see me

Traded Colonial Williamsburg
For the Hampton Inn
dont you tell me it was about
a guaranteed winnnnnnnnn

Why is it now
anyone mentions FBS
You duck and hide
can only take a wild guess

What’s on your mind?
What’s the long-term plan?
Are we gonna have to ask
You Dee Daaaaaannnnn

Fade out

mainejeff
September 21st, 2023, 08:07 PM
If Delaware leaving the CAA is what it takes for Maine to not have a conference schedule that sends them on 3 trips to VA and NC....then adios Blue Hens!

aceinthehole
September 21st, 2023, 08:20 PM
The NEC would also need members should the MEAC's demise ever came to fruition, which is very doubtful.

Those 8 teams (including Coppin St and UMES) aren't really going fielding any invites. And Howard's invite seemingly went to Bryant instead.

I don't know what will cause the MEAC demise. It does appear (and I have sources) that indicated Howard was unwilling to be the cause of the MEAC breakup and they knew they wouldn't be competitive in the CAA so they passed on the invite. Bryant appears to have filled the hole for football.

Delaware State and Morgan State practically have a standing offer to join the NEC. I could see the Coppin State and UMES joining as a 4-pack, if Howard went somewhere else - but where is Howard going? The CAA was the best offer they were going to get, so what's next for the Bison?

And for the record, Howard is an associate member of the Northeast Conference in 8 sports (Baseball, M/W Soccer, M/W Swimming, WLax, M/W Golf), and the NEC has many MEAC associate members. If things got bad, I could see the entire MEAC from DC/MD/DE join the NEC.

POD Knows
September 21st, 2023, 08:35 PM
Yea. Keep expanding with this drek. Pretty soon the CAA will be behind the Patriot and NEC 😀

FUBeAR
September 21st, 2023, 09:59 PM
A fictitious letter written through the eyes of blue and gold fans everywhere relentlessly politicking UD officials for a move up to FBS

Read to the tune of the Beatles
“Paperback Writer”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperback_Writer

kids if you’re not familiar with this song, YouTube it up, as this works much better if you know the song … and besides, even though it’s almost 60 years old, it’s simplistically brilliant and younger than Blue & Gold
http://www.gohens.net/boards/download/file.php?id=1144Paperback6DC83E3E-7A0D-4ADD-A056-83AB1704C2F9.jpeg (23.21 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Guitar lead in ….

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yYvkICbTZIQ

Wont you read my letter
it could make you smile
Really Misses Rawak
We just wanna be in style

Got a manicure
so I must confess
Know I’ll be Sporting my Sunday best

But in the trailer park
known as FCS
The new coastal conference
is a stinky messssss

Letter head Writer (background vocals are challenging)
Letter head Writer………….

I heard you really like it
you know I’m always right
on a Tuesday night

FBS
is what we really want
Even sent a letter out to Pete DuPont
Assanis and the Big Guy too
Don’t you laugh now
might send one to Uuuuuuuuuuu

Letterhead, writer, letterhead writer

"The way the song itself is shaped and the slow, contrapuntal statements from the backing voices – no one had really done that before."[21] In their backing vocals over the third verse, Lennon and Harrison sing the title of the French nursery rhyme "Frère Jacques".[22]

Took a look at the schedule
and what do you see
So many places I would rather be
Miss Chrissy just so you know
The Coastal conference
is not for meeeeeeeeee

They asked me if I was going up to Stony Brook
Last place you’ll see me
is on the bus with Mister Crook
If that bus was routed up to Buffalo
You’d be lookin at an overflow

If you’re ever down by North Carolina A&T
take a good look around
but you won’t see me

Traded Colonial Williamsburg
For the Hampton Inn
dont you tell me it was about
a guaranteed winnnnnnnnn

Why is it now
anyone mentions FBS
You duck and hide
can only take a wild guess

What’s on your mind?
What’s the long-term plan?
Are we gonna have to ask
You Dee Daaaaaannnnn

Fade out
on a Tuesday night

https://s.abcnews.com/images/Health/GTY_elderly_man_laughing_jt_140419_16x9_992.jpg?w= 992

FUBeAR
September 21st, 2023, 10:06 PM
Yea. Keep expanding with this drek. Pretty soon the CAA will be behind the Patriot and NEC Pretty soon?
Did you get stuck in a time warp?

Bottom of the Big South is clearly as good as the Top of the CAA and only a hair better than D2 RIGHT NOW...another case of #SettledScience

(yeah - FUBeAR knows the bottom 3 or 4 Teams in the SoCon (allegedly) are abominable - y'all got that issue too)

Go...gate
September 21st, 2023, 10:22 PM

We're waiting....

Go...gate
September 21st, 2023, 10:26 PM
Looking forward to seeing Bryant this weekend when they visit Princeton.

caribbeanhen
September 21st, 2023, 11:02 PM
on a Tuesday night

https://s.abcnews.com/images/Health/GTY_elderly_man_laughing_jt_140419_16x9_992.jpg?w= 992

you saw that did ya

some other goodies in there

Just pokin fun with some Hen fans that suddenly are all in on FBS, I do get that but don’t really want it

UNHWildcat18
September 22nd, 2023, 07:52 AM
At least Bryant is seemingly committed to football a success in the future. They
A) Have a new IPF
B) Have a new Strength&Conditioning center in one endzone.
C) Committed to going to 63 scholarships
D) Renderings are out for a new home side for Bryant as the new arena will now not be on the side of the football field. Would probably put their capacity around 7k with no track.

This work is more than most schools in any conference are doing.....

WestCoastAggie
September 22nd, 2023, 08:00 AM
I don't know what will cause the MEAC demise. It does appear (and I have sources) that indicated Howard was unwilling to be the cause of the MEAC breakup and they knew they wouldn't be competitive in the CAA so they passed on the invite. Bryant appears to have filled the hole for football.

Delaware State and Morgan State practically have a standing offer to join the NEC. I could see the Coppin State and UMES joining as a 4-pack, if Howard went somewhere else - but where is Howard going? The CAA was the best offer they were going to get, so what's next for the Bison?

And for the record, Howard is an associate member of the Northeast Conference in 8 sports (Baseball, M/W Soccer, M/W Swimming, WLax, M/W Golf), and the NEC has many MEAC associate members. If things got bad, I could see the entire MEAC from DC/MD/DE join the NEC.

Exactly (The part in bold). Also, Delaware STATE (🙄) was much closer to killing off the MEAC back in 2020 than Howard was in 2022. That was a tense BOT vote DSU had on the matter.

Now, all of this MEAC Kumbaya goes out the window if a majority of MEAC presidents votes to accept Chicago State's membership application. Howard does not want to be in a conference with them.

caribbeanhen
September 22nd, 2023, 09:15 AM
Exactly (The part in bold). Also, Delaware was much closer to killing off the MEAC back in 2020 than Howard was in 2022. That was a tense BOT vote DSU had on the matter.

Now, all of this MEAC Kumbaya goes out the window if a majority of MEAC presidents votes to accept Chicago State's membership application. Howard does not want to be in a conference with them.

Delaware or Delaware State?

WestCoastAggie
September 22nd, 2023, 09:18 AM
Delaware or Delaware State?

It's fixed, Sir.

POD Knows
September 22nd, 2023, 10:00 AM
Pretty soon?
Did you get stuck in a time warp?

Bottom of the Big South is clearly as good as the Top of the CAA and only a hair better than D2 RIGHT NOW...another case of #SettledScience

(yeah - FUBeAR knows the bottom 3 or 4 Teams in the SoCon (allegedly) are abominable - y'all got that issue too)
You got me, I still keep thinking that JMU is still in the CAA. 😀

POD Knows
September 22nd, 2023, 10:03 AM
At least Bryant is seemingly committed to football a success in the future. They
A) Have a new IPF
D) Renderings are out for a new home side for Bryant as the new arena will now not be on the side of the football field. Would probably put their capacity around 7k with no track.

You know, I might have to change my paradigm with respect to NCAA football given the portal and everything else that is going on. For ****s sakes, Georgia State is now 4-0 in the FBS. 😂

caribbeanhen
September 22nd, 2023, 10:04 AM
It's fixed, Sir.

Gracias Señor

it seemed pretty obvious you were talking about Delaware State but you just never know what someone actually knows and you seem to know a lot

rhowdyram
September 22nd, 2023, 11:17 AM
A) Have a new IPF

I've seen Bryant grow from a D2 college in the 80's and 90's to a D1 university now. They've made it pretty obvious over the last 20 years or so that they're looking to grow and they're willing to invest money to make it happen.

rhowdyram
September 22nd, 2023, 11:22 AM
You know, I might have to change my paradigm with respect to NCAA football given the portal and everything else that is going on. For ****s sakes, Georgia State is now 4-0 in the FBS. 

And of the 4 games, Rhode Island gave them their best game.

Rhode Island - 42-35, URI had a lead halfway through the third
Connecticut - 35-14, UConn never led
at Charlotte - 41-25, Charlotte never led
at Coastal Carolina - 30-17, Coastal Carolina never led

Yeah, that's not a murderer's row or anything, but our performance week 1 is looking better and better.

POD Knows
September 22nd, 2023, 12:44 PM
And of the 4 games, Rhode Island gave them their best game.

Rhode Island - 42-35, URI had a lead halfway through the third
Connecticut - 35-14, UConn never led
at Charlotte - 41-25, Charlotte never led
at Coastal Carolina - 30-17, Coastal Carolina never led

Yeah, that's not a murderer's row or anything, but our performance week 1 is looking better and better.
Yea. I watched the Rhody GSU game. Thought you had them. GSU is beating their peer schools I guess. Nothing Earth shattering but they were a dumpster fire for a long time.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 23rd, 2023, 04:48 PM
Bryant has real leadership. They were never satisfied to waste away in the NEC.

Ivytalk
September 23rd, 2023, 05:07 PM
And Bryant gets the upset at Princeton, 16-13 in OT. Probably some agita in Tigertown after that one.