PDA

View Full Version : FCS Recap: Countdown <--------CSN!

CSN-info
December 2nd, 2007, 03:06 AM
FCS Recap: Countdown
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

In five games, four in the NCAA Division I Championships, the third and final unbeaten team fell while two home teams faltered and one team advanced to the semifinals for the first time. Four surviving squads from three conferences supply the playoff field following Saturday's games, the Pioneer Football League captured their second straight Gridiron Classic and one has to wonder if the reigning NCAA champs will break even more records.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=89348

Syntax Error
December 2nd, 2007, 04:20 AM
Nice numbers Chuck! 5-4-3-2-1 and 4-3-2-1!

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 07:30 AM
He must not have sen the UMASS/SIU game. It was hardly a case of SIU "holding on". If anything all the media timeouts let UMASS hang around by greatly lessening the pressure of the ticking clock. The game was never closer than 7; SIU lead from start to finish and was clearly the quicker team, giving up lots of ground and two scores in the latter part of the 4th quarter to keep people in front of them and to keep the clock running.

Ud1Hens
December 2nd, 2007, 07:46 AM
I have only read the first two paragraphs and he has facts wrong again, what else is new right? Delaware was actually the #4 team in the CAA not the 3rd. He also stated that UNI came back to win against UNH 35-31 when the real score was 38-35. You'd think he would at least do SOME research before publishing the article to the general public.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2007, 09:20 AM
I have only read the first two paragraphs and he has facts wrong again, what else is new right? Delaware was actually the #4 team in the CAA not the 3rd. He also stated that UNI came back to win against UNH 35-31 when the real score was 38-35. You'd think he would at least do SOME research before publishing the article to the general public.

But this weekend’s 39-27 shocker at home against the Blue Hens might be the toughest of all to swallow, as the final undefeated team in FCS fell to a team that finished third in the CAA South and lost their final two regular season games.

They were third in CAA South. The 35-31 thing will be fixed.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2007, 09:22 AM
He must not have sen the UMASS/SIU game. It was hardly a case of SIU "holding on". If anything all the media timeouts let UMASS hang around by greatly lessening the pressure of the ticking clock. The game was never closer than 7; SIU lead from start to finish and was clearly the quicker team, giving up lots of ground and two scores in the latter part of the 4th quarter to keep people in front of them and to keep the clock running.

4 minutes to play: SIU up seven. If UMass' defense forces a punt, they can tie. That's pretty close in my book - this wasn't "we need an onside kick to win this". SIU needed to get three first downs to ice this thing.

UDChE89
December 2nd, 2007, 09:32 AM
Technically Ud1hens is correct. We were fourth in the CAA South since we were tied with Villanova for record at 5-3 but they have the head to head.

ChickenMan
December 2nd, 2007, 09:32 AM
4 minutes to play: SIU up seven. If UMass' defense forces a punt, they can tie. That's pretty close in my book - this wasn't "we need an onside kick to win this". SIU needed to get three first downs to ice this thing.

Absolutely.. SIU fans would be less then truthful if they deny that their butts were getting a little tight after the last UMass TD.

However SIU.. like UD vs UNI.. was able to drive the ball and run out the clock. UD/SIU should be another great game.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM

And they did it easily, twice converting 3rd down with runs up the gut. SIU was trading a lot of ground to keep the clock moving. After it was 34-13 they played pretty soft giving up short routes for sure tackles. UMASS didn't quit and did a good job of taking what we were giving, I think the biggest difference makers were our edge in team speed, our punting, and our QB play.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Absolutely.. SIU fans would be less then truthful if they deny that their butts were getting a little tight after the last UMass TD.

However SIU.. like UD vs UNI.. was able to drive the ball and run out the clock. UD/SIU should be another great game.

My butt was a little tight about going into our shell too little early on O, but our D was making plays on big downs all through the game. I imagine UD butts are a little tight about their scoring from the offense yesterday, too. I will say that I've heard a lot of talk about your weak defense all year and either they're much better than advertised or UNI was uncharacteristically generous. UNI hasn't made those kind of mistakes all year and played error-free against us; major props to your D. I think they actually worry me more this week than your O.

UNHWildCats
December 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
And they did it easily, twice converting 3rd down with runs up the gut. SIU was trading a lot of ground to keep the clock moving. After it was 34-13 they played pretty soft giving up short routes for sure tackles. UMASS didn't quit and did a good job of taking what we were giving, I think the biggest difference makers were our edge in team speed, our punting, and our QB play.
you leave no visible signs of who you root for but I finally fiugured it out.... You dont root for anyone, your just a CAA hater xeyebrowx

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
you leave no visible signs of who you root for but I finally fiugured it out.... You dont root for anyone, your just a CAA hater xeyebrowx

No visible signs of who I root for? xrolleyesx Your hat is too tight.

I was at the game and it was dominated by SIU on both sides of the ball. Sorry, but that's the way it was. When the game got down to one score we took the ball and ran it right at UMASS. In fact, UMASS got HUGE breaks from the TV time outs or they would have been desperate a lot sooner. UMASS is a good team (didn't they bitch-slap UNH by 30 or so?) and the CAA is a good conference, I've said it before. I AM a little miffed that they were the ONLY conference to get teams on both sides of the bracket, though. I've also noticed that a lot of CAA fans go for the bait every time someone even remotely hints that they aren't head and shoulders above all othe FCS conferences; who can resist all the time?:D

ChickenMan
December 2nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
No visible signs of who I root for? xrolleyesx Your hat is too tight.

I was at the game and it was dominated by SIU on both sides of the ball. Sorry, but that's the way it was. When the game got down to one score we took the ball and ran it right at UMASS. In fact, UMASS got HUGE breaks from the TV time outs or they would have been desperate a lot sooner. UMASS is a good team (didn't they bitch-slap UNH by 30 or so?) and the CAA is a good conference, I've said it before. I AM a little miffed that they were the ONLY conference to get teams on both sides of the bracket, though. I've also noticed that a lot of CAA fans go for the bait every time someone even remotely hints that they aren't head and shoulders above all othe FCS conferences; who can resist all the time?:D

I saw the game and agree that SIU was the better team.. but after the fast start by SIU.. the game evened out. SIU won the game.. but when you give up over 500 yrds of offense it's hard to say that you dominated on both sides of the ball. UMass' Coen is a good QB.. but he's no Joe Flacco and Coen rang up over 400 passing yrds. As I said.. SIU was the better team.. but not a dominate team.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 10:47 AM
I saw the game and agree that SIU was the better team.. but after the fast start by SIU.. the game evened out. SIU won the game.. but when you give up over 500 yrds of offense it's hard to say that you dominated on both sides of the ball. UMass' Coen is a good QB.. but he's no Joe Flacco and Coen rang up over 400 passing yrds. As I said.. SIU was the better team.. but not a dominate team.

The game evened out when we went into our shell with the score at 34-13. Coen did a good job of taking what we were giving, and got about half of his yards then. UMASS is a good team and nobody doubted they were going to score points, but it is a fact that our defense was quicker and more athletic than their offense, got pressure from the front four, and made plays on important downs.
And it is a fact that when we needed to run the clock out and they needed a big stop, it was us who ran the clock out. I agree that Coen is no Flacco; I doubt we'll have four picks against Flacco unless he's throwing so hard that there are a lot of ricochets.

Syntax Error
December 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Saw these writeups by CSN at CSTV:

Myron Hosea on ASU vs. EWU
http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/120107abj.html
Kent Schmidt on UNI vs. UD
http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/120107aci.html
Bruce Dowd on SIU vs. UMass
http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/120107acy.html
Myron Hosea on Wofford vs. UR
http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/120207aas.html

Syntax Error