PDA

View Full Version : Best 4 teams

GrizzlyBill
December 1st, 2007, 11:04 PM
So far in this 2007 FCS Playoffs, 12 teams are out. In each game so far, I think the better team has won. This semifinal has the best four teams in the Nation this year.

Mountaineers
Skinny Saluki Dogs
Blue Hen Chickens
Spiders

Being a homer, like everyone else on this board (except, of course, Mr. C and Ralph--or does Ralph even read the board any more? I miss old Ralph getting in on all the threads), I want to say that, as proud as I am of my Griz this year, I see there are several better teams right now--the EWU Eagles among them. Yea for them!

YEA FOR YOU GUYS still playing. Any of you will make a great champion!

GO APPS! The 3-peat will be beautiful, if you can do it.
You're a damn good bunch.

Next year, though LOOK OUT!
GO GRIZ
GO BSC

ASUMountaineer
December 1st, 2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks for your excitement for the semis, and just basically being a fan of a true College Football National Championship. I will refrain from speaking about the 3-peat to avoid being called a homer. Delaware's offense looks like it's clicking, Richmond looks like they run the ball all over people, and SIU just keeps winning. Appalachian has a hard road. All in all, I think we can all agree, the FCS playoffs is as good as it gets with college football.

KiddBrewer
December 1st, 2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks for your excitement for the semis, and just basically being a fan of a true College Football National Championship. I will refrain from speaking about the 3-peat to avoid being called a homer. Delaware's offense looks like it's clicking, Richmond looks like they run the ball all over people, and SIU just keeps winning. Appalachian has a hard road. All in all, I think we can all agree, the FCS playoffs is as good as it gets with college football.

well put, i agree. i watch these games in BCS...it drives me crazy that all the teams dont get to prove themselves on the field...a second chance. we definately have a tough road, but thats the beauty of the playoffs, atleast we have a chance, as do the other 3 teams that have earned their way to this point. im almost glad the "top level" doesnt have a playoff, cause its the best thing about college football, and i wouldnt want them to take that from us too. best of luck to everyone and heres to good games, ha except richmondxthumbsupx xrotatehx

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
I think the FBS wishes more than ever that they had a playoff system. How about Ohio St vs non-Conference Champs Georgia or Kansas? It could happen, .... Best team in the nation, LSU, won't jump 7 spots. They could be watching Va Tech in the title game -- a team that they killed earlier in the year....

feb18blacksunday
December 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
Playoff football is what sport is all about. No polls to lobby for votes, just lace em up and get after it.xthumbsupx

McDABest
December 2nd, 2007, 01:00 AM
If there were no playoffs in the FCS, we would have seen UNI vs. McNeese or UNI vs. Montana, and all three of those teams were proven that they were not the better team on the field even when they went 11-0. This year is a great year to say that "Anything can happen on any given Saturday."

th0m
December 2nd, 2007, 05:49 AM
So far in this 2007 FCS Playoffs, 12 teams are out. In each game so far, I think the better team has won.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I think many people may beg to differ on the JMU-ASU game as to who was the better team that day. I will agree that the four teams in the semi's are the best 4 teams still playing, but for a couple of bounces (same goes for EWU, Montana, etc) and there could've been a couple different teams and they could also be billed the 4 best teams still playing.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 06:30 AM
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I think many people may beg to differ on the JMU-ASU game as to who was the better team that day. I will agree that the four teams in the semi's are the best 4 teams still playing, but for a couple of bounces (same goes for EWU, Montana, etc) and there could've been a couple different teams and they could also be billed the 4 best teams still playing.

And in some parallel universe, they are.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 2nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
Any one of the 4 left can win the thing. I think I'd give the edge to App.

I thought any of the 8 teams pleying yesterday could win it all.

The fact that a break or bounce here or there may have changed the outcome of a game is what makes these playoff great.xthumbsupx

00bluehen
December 2nd, 2007, 07:27 AM
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I think many people may beg to differ on the JMU-ASU game as to who was the better team that day.
xnonono2x Just a classic JMU fan's response. YOU LOST THE GAME! You had the ball for 20 minutes more than ASU and YOU LOST THE GAME! You can't turn the ball over / go for 4-and-1 deep in your own territory and say you were the better team! xnonox

If the Dukes learn how to take care of the football, they'll be the 2008 National Champions.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Ain't it fun?

GoldandBlack
December 2nd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Any one of the 4 left can win the thing. I think I'd give the edge to App.

I thought any of the 8 teams pleying yesterday could win it all.

The fact that a break or bounce here or there may have changed the outcome of a game is what makes these playoff great.xthumbsupx

I agree 100%, including the edge to App State because of their experience. At this time of the year, the better team is the one that follows their game plan with the fewest mistakes, and it boils down to who can execute in pressure situations. We didn't execute last night, and a fundamentally sound and quick Richmond team made us pay for our mistakes.

Honestly, I think every team in the playoffs, and some who didn't make it, represent some of the finest football played at the collegiate level. Ignored by mainstream media, these guys truly play for the love of the game.

It's great to be an FCS fan.xnodx

93BlueHen
December 2nd, 2007, 09:46 AM
I will refrain from speaking about the 3-peat to avoid being called a homer.

Being a fan of your team and wanting to see history? Ain't nothing wrong with that! Speak away bro!

The homer is the FCS Director at The Sports Network. When you do all the writing in this subdivision for the media outlet that releases the poll that is the defacto ranking for all of FCS, you should try to provide some measure of balance to your reporting. You shouldn't be the App State lapdog. I mean, at least pretend you're somewhat unbiased. Don't run App State as the lead story every week. There are other teams playing. Don't pick against the CAA in practically every OOC game, just because you hate them. It makes you look comical at best, disingenuous at worst.

GrizzlyBill
December 2nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
. . . . the four teams in the semi's are the best 4 teams still playing . . . . I like your grasp of the obvious.

Sure, with any one of several missed chances, the Griz could have won the Wofford game, but I think the better team won that day. As for ASU-JMU, you may be right. I don't really know enough about JMU this year to argue.
My point was that (in my opinion), no one can rationally believe that any other team should rightfully be in the semis this year.

In the past we can all remember (don't ask for specifics) games in the playoffs marred by official controversy, injury, dirty play, foul weather, or other misfortunate circumstance that caused a playoff game to be won by an arguably inferior team. Not this year.

GrizzlyBill
December 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Honestly, I think every team in the playoffs, and some who didn't make it, represent some of the finest football played at the collegiate level. Ignored by mainstream media, these guys truly play for the love of the game.

Well said. You make the point I keep attempting.

So many on AGS Board seem too hyped up on the homer competition thing: the "My team can kick your team's ass" sort of attitude. I just love the level of play that I am blessed with being able to watch. Even the hated Bobcats of Montana State demonstrate it from time to time.

89Hen
December 2nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
Dreamt last night the Hens beat AppSt when they missed a FG with 1:20 left in the NC game. Hens ran out the clock. xthumbsupx

See Red!
December 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
The best part is...when the click reads 00:00 you know what the match-ups for next week are. You don't have to go back into the locker room and start to lobby for the votes to get you closer to the championship game. You lose, you go home and start preparing for next year. The BCS system is on life support right now and the thought of having a team that didnt even win their DIVISION of their conference (Georgia, Kansas) play for a national championship is just terrible.

Seawolf97
December 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
The best part is...when the click reads 00:00 you know what the match-ups for next week are. You don't have to go back into the locker room and start to lobby for the votes to get you closer to the championship game. You lose, you go home and start preparing for next year. The BCS system is on life support right now and the thought of having a team that didnt even win their DIVISION of their conference (Georgia, Kansas) play for a national championship is just terrible.

Couldnt agree morexthumbsupx

pather
December 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
power rankings id give the teams heading into this:

1. App State. simply because they've been here
2. Southern Illinois. a great pass/rush combo and good defense/special teams
3. Delaware. QB/RB combo is second to none
4. Richmond. This really isnt a bad thing at all....everyone else is just that good.

any of the 4 is capable of winning it

NovaHater
December 2nd, 2007, 01:22 PM

A hard road ? xviolinx

Which team doesn't have a hard road, UR and UD I know have a hard road because they aren't playing at home EVERY game. I hope the "Experts" that are making game predictions keep picking against those 2.

Hofstra76
December 2nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't bet against Delaware right now. First they destroy the #10 team in the country and then beat UNI with one of the toughest home field advantages in the FCS after spotting them a 10 point lead. Not bad for the fourth place team in the CAA.

I also think there is a good chance for an all CAA championship game. Richmond is better than a lot of people realize. These teams play a playoff caliber game virtually every week in the CAA which is why they are tough in the playoffs even without the home field.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
power rankings id give the teams heading into this:

1. App State. simply because they've been here
2. Southern Illinois. a great pass/rush combo and good defense/special teams
3. Delaware. QB/RB combo is second to none
4. Richmond. This really isnt a bad thing at all....everyone else is just that good.

any of the 4 is capable of winning it

CAA at 3 and 4

no

App St
Richmond
Delaware
S Ill

pather
December 2nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
CAA at 3 and 4

no

App St
Richmond
Delaware
S Ill

dude its my opinion. SIU is the only seeded team left....

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 01:55 PM

I agree the playoff system is better than the FBS fiasco. Not winning your conference is not an argument against your team, however. SIU and UD did not win their conferences and are still alive. App State and Richmond were co-champs in their leagues. We have had National Champs in the past that did not win their league. It comes down to who is playing the best at the end of the season and we settle it on the field. That is the way it should be.

ASUG8
December 2nd, 2007, 01:55 PM

I agree and I've said it a dozen times - ASU was given a gift that day.

jonmac
December 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
A hard road ? xviolinx

Which team doesn't have a hard road, UR and UD I know have a hard road because they aren't playing at home EVERY game. I hope the "Experts" that are making game predictions keep picking against those 2.

Dang, we can't even suggest that we may not be the best team and have the best chance in the playoffs without being criticized. I do think that poster was giving the other 3 teams much props.

ASUG8
December 2nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
I think the FBS wishes more than ever that they had a playoff system. How about Ohio St vs non-Conference Champs Georgia or Kansas? It could happen, .... Best team in the nation, LSU, won't jump 7 spots. They could be watching Va Tech in the title game -- a team that they killed earlier in the year....

If this season doesn't put a nail in the coffin for BCS, I don't know what it will take. This has been the craziest year I've ever seen. Playoffs are the way to go and I'm glad FCS has it.

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
A hard road ? xviolinx

Everyone has an axe to grind I guess. How is it you read my post and determined I said we were the only team with a hard road. Of course they all have hard roads. I'm speaking on behalf of my team, you really need to quit hating and enjoy the great football going on. Sorry you guys can't play too, not my problem.

And, notice, I made no prediction. Next time, perhaps I'll take your approach and just criticize every team rather than trying to point out all could win it. Keep up the bad posting. xnonox

89Hen
December 3rd, 2007, 07:19 AM
I wouldn't bet against Delaware right now. First they destroy the #10 team in the country
You think DSU was really the #10 team in the country after seeing that game? xeyebrowx After that game, I hate to say it, but there's no way DSU is above .500 in the CAA, Gateway or SoCon.

mtoliver
December 3rd, 2007, 07:42 AM
A hard road ? xviolinx

Get real!!!! Everyone has a tough road and next time we'll try not to allow seeded upsets in our bracket... Montana and Mcneese were in total control of how many home games we got @ THE ROCK this post-season. All the griz had to do was beat the SOCON co-champ and Mcneese, with one of the more talked about home field advantages in FCS, just had to beat a #2 BSC team. Neither could beat the team that was placed before them... And App marches on to victory... wouldn't have it any other way xcoffeex xbowx xrotatehx

spdram
December 3rd, 2007, 07:56 AM
I believe anyone of the four teams left could win it all, ain't it grand!

ASU it's great to be playing you, but I sure wish JMU had not fumbled in their last play because they would likely be coming to Richmond to play my Spiders on national TV -- so goes the way the ball bounces.

You've got to beat the best to be the best! Good Luck to all the teams left, (except ASU xsmiley_wix ). The best team will prove it on the field.

Hofstra76
December 3rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
You think DSU was really the #10 team in the country after seeing that game? xeyebrowx After that game, I hate to say it, but there's no way DSU is above .500 in the CAA, Gateway or SoCon.

Actually, I don't think DSU would win a game in the CAA but I didn't do the rankings. I was just trying to point out Delaware's strength this season. I should know better than to try to support Delaware. Let me try this instead. Delaware sucks and has no chance against SIU. Go Richmond.

OL FU
December 3rd, 2007, 08:52 AM
So far in this 2007 FCS Playoffs, 12 teams are out. In each game so far, I think the better team has won. This semifinal has the best four teams in the Nation this year.

Mountaineers
Skinny Saluki Dogs
Blue Hen Chickens
Spiders

Being a homer, like everyone else on this board (except, of course, Mr. C and Ralph--or does Ralph even read the board any more? I miss old Ralph getting in on all the threads), I want to say that, as proud as I am of my Griz this year, I see there are several better teams right now--the EWU Eagles among them. Yea for them!

YEA FOR YOU GUYS still playing. Any of you will make a great champion!

GO APPS! The 3-peat will be beautiful, if you can do it.
You're a damn good bunch.

Next year, though LOOK OUT!
GO GRIZ
GO BSC

Three in a row is just being piggyxnodx xlolx

No offense Grizoxsmiley_wix

devilhen
December 3rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Actually, I don't think DSU would win a game in the CAA but I didn't do the rankings. I was just trying to point out Delaware's strength this season. I should know better than to try to support Delaware. Let me try this instead. Delaware sucks and has no chance against SIU. Go Richmond.

I for one appeciate the support! and if the clowns that rank these teams choose to put them there - hey, it's not our fault!!

appfan2008
December 3rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
the only thing i disagree with at the beginning of this thread is him say mr c is not a homer... hello! he is!

89Hen
December 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
I was just trying to point out Delaware's strength this season. I should know better than to try to support Delaware. Let me try this instead. Delaware sucks and has no chance against SIU. Go Richmond.
xconfusedx Did I rail on you? No. Just pointed out that DSU was overrated. Sheesh. xcoffeex

GtFllsGriz
December 3rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
I think all four teams are worthy and obviously very talented. I also agree with others that were it not for a few bounces of the ball and different sets of matchups that there could be several other teams in the semis'. There was a lot of talent and parity this year in the FCS as well as the FBS. I think we will continue to see that parity which will make for some very interesting seasons of FCS football in the future.

Good luck to all of the remaining teams. Who ever wins the NC will be the unquestionable Div. I Champion and a worthy wearer of the crown.

Grabholdofyosef
December 3rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
Dreamt last night the Hens beat AppSt when they missed a FG with 1:20 left in the NC game. Hens ran out the clock. xthumbsupx
With delaware's helmets, there is no denying what the end to the season should be. The same way it started. corey lynch blocking a delaware kick with no time left. : ) You have now entered the twilight zone.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 3rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
With delaware's helmets, there is no denying what the end to the season should be. The same way it started. corey lynch blocking a delaware kick with no time left. : ) You have now entered the twilight zone.

Or if Deleware wins that game they could force that other team to stop wearing their helmets.:p

mcveyrl
December 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM

If that happens, then Chattanooga can officially be declared the center of the universe.

08Dawg
December 3rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Maybe I'm partial to the SoCon...if El Cid can't be in it, than somebody from our conference better be. Minding that...

I'd give an edge to App St. because they have something to prove. They beat Michigan, were instantly crowned the best team ever, and then they go down to Wofford and...was it GSU? I can't remember...anyway...App State is going to be fighting to prove they were worthy of all the praise that got heaped on them (rightly, mind you!) after the Michigan game. I would think they'd want to prove themselves worthy of it all. My .02.

Hoboken Dukes
December 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
app state is going to have to make some major improvements if they want to beat richmond. common opponent, richmond vs. jmu was a 17-16 game, the spiders held wofford to 10 points at home. they have serious defensive talent and have not shown a proclivity to turn the ball over ala the dukes, which everyone can admit is the only reason why app state is still playing right now.

combined w/ their insane running game and ball control offense, they have a ready-made formula to give app state major fits, as shown by the dukes 2 weeks ago.

Hofstra76
December 3rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
xconfusedx Did I rail on you? No. Just pointed out that DSU was overrated. Sheesh. xcoffeex

Only a Delaware fan would find a way to criticize someone who was supporting their team. Now I remember why I hate you guys.