PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we have a new Lil Darling

caribbeanhen
September 18th, 2023, 08:46 PM
It’s happening right before our eyes again

Almost a decade ago it was Kennesaw State, almost everybody was head over heels in love with the prom Queen commuter college Owlets nestled blindly into the trees of the suburbian Rhett Butlerville. The thing is the gold diggers got there man and moved up to FBS, swimming pools movie stars and Tuesday night lights was the place Hooty Jethro Hoo wanted to be as FCS was a place for the unwashed peasants …

Today it’s the talented halter top covering the humps wearing Camels of Campbell, fresh off a nice road victory in the gated neighborhood of Monmouth, a lil Darlin herself a few years ago renting a space in the AirBnb Big South conference. Harvard would take the Camels on a one way walk to Baghdad but the wicked Ivies choose their fate therefore they don’t get the love from the majority of FCS voters.

No doubt the Camels have talent and good looks, but again what lil Darlin don’t? Don’t fall for the lipstick and the false eye lashes this pretty Camel is flashing at you because the sun will rise and you will be another notch in her lipstick case

POD Knows
September 18th, 2023, 09:09 PM

Almost a decade ago it was Kennesaw State, almost everybody was head over heels in love with the prom Queen commuter college Owlets nestled blindly into the trees of the suburbian Rhett Butlerville. The thing is the gold diggers got there man and moved up to FBS, swimming pools movie stars and Tuesday night lights was the place Hooty Jethro Hoo wanted to be as FCS was a place for the unwashed peasants …

Today it’s the talented halter top covering the humps wearing Camels of Campbell, fresh off a nice road victory in the gated neighborhood of Monmouth, a lil Darlin herself a few years ago renting a space in the AirBnb Big South conference. Harvard would take the Camels on a one way walk to Baghdad but the wicked Ivies choose their fate therefore they don’t get the love from the majority of FCS voters.

No doubt the Camels have talent and good looks, but again what lil Darlin don’t? Don’t fall for the lipstick and the false eye lashes this pretty Camel is flashing at you because the sun will rise and you will be another notch in her lipstick case
The Ivy's don't deserve any love and why the anointment of Harvard, because they beat freaking St Thomas, so did South Dakota and so would most teams not in the Pioneer. Did you see the Ivy OOC games this weekend, outside of HC and NH, which they lost, the played mostly drek, lost handily to the Pards as well. There is no point of reference for any of these teams when they don't play anybody. The Ivy's can't beat any of the upper tier teams.

crusader11
September 18th, 2023, 09:30 PM
The Ivy's don't deserve any love and why the anointment of Harvard, because they beat freaking St Thomas, so did South Dakota and so would most teams not in the Pioneer. Did you see the Ivy OOC games this weekend, outside of HC and NH, which they lost, the played mostly drek, lost handily to the Pards as well. There is no point of reference for any of these teams when they don't play anybody. The Ivy's can't beat any of the upper tier teams.

I mostly agree, but still firmly believe the top half of the Ivy League plays good football. The top two or three teams, in most years, are legitimate top 25 programs. It’s a damn shame they don’t participate in the playoffs, so we will never really know. It’s also a damn shame that they don’t challenge themselves a bit more in the non-conference.

That said, when the top Ivies do “play up” they typically do well. Problem is, to your point, there’s not a large enough body of work. These schools and their presidents, administration, and alums really only care about their little seven game Ivy season. The three non-conference games are just filler. However, there’s a reason that every year in the NFL there are a bunch of Ivy alums. You get really good football players that could player at a higher level but elect to play in the Ivy instead (smart kids).

2021: Dartmouth over #23 New Hampshire (UNH proved to stink that year, but were ranked at the time), Princeton over Monmouth

2019: Yale over Richmond

2018: Princeton over Monmouth (a 51-9 spanking), Yale over Maine (the year they went to the semis) and over Mercer

Outside of Yale and sometimes Princeton, the rest of the Ivy plays awful OOC schedules.

So, basically, while my eyes tell me the best of the Ivy can hang against the top 25, I suppose that’s hard to prove given who they play.

As mentioned, damn shame.

caribbeanhen
September 18th, 2023, 09:38 PM

You can always send in another application to Harvard

POD Knows
September 18th, 2023, 09:45 PM
You can always send in another application to HarvardYea, I don't get the allure, Harvard just got some recognition for trampling on free speech rights but that is for another thread. There is no way you can really honestly quantify how good any of those teams are, they don't really play anybody else.

I have had some Ivy's in my top 25 and I do watch their games, I thought Princeton was decent a couple years ago, Dartmouth as well, never been impressed with Harvard. And a single year to date victory over a non Scholly program that got thrashed in their only other FCS game is kind of over the top.

bonarae
September 19th, 2023, 12:58 AM
Meanwhile... I've almost dumped the Ivies in favor of the Big Sky programs especially since Idaho moved on and down from the G5.

ysubigred
September 19th, 2023, 09:01 AM
Yea, I don't get the allure, Harvard just got some recognition for trampling on free speech rights but that is for another thread. There is no way you can really honestly quantify how good any of those teams are, they don't really play anybody else.

I have had some Ivy's in my top 25 and I do watch their games, I thought Princeton was decent a couple years ago, Dartmouth as well, never been impressed with Harvard. And a single year to date victory over a non Scholly program that got thrashed in their only other FCS game is kind of over the top.Love to see any Ivy play an MVFC meat grinding schedule.. I think none would be top 25.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

bonarae
September 19th, 2023, 09:31 AM
I was also a bandwagon fan of the Owls for a time, especially during their playoff years. But can the Camels stay in the FCS, and for how much longer? (Note: I featured Campbell's players back in 2020 for our Countdown, but because of no fan support, I shifted to St. Thomas the next year. That team also has no fans here as well.)

But IFF the Ivies do play a NESCAC type schedule, I will stop supporting their football programs, perhaps for the rest of my life. xsighx I will be rooting hard for UC Davis and Sac by then... xrolleyesx

WestCoastAggie
September 19th, 2023, 09:32 AM
I can't wait until A&T is that Lil Darling. That'll mean we are winning games, at least.

MR. CHICKEN
September 19th, 2023, 09:45 AM

AH YES......TOMMIES GOIN IN WAS GAME #3.....AN' GAME ONE....FO' HARVARD....AN' THEY....DOUBLED.....SOUTH DAKOTA'S SCORE.......AWK!

WELP....YOUNGSTOWN......SERVED UP...COOKIES....IN VALPARASO/ROBERT MORRIS......AN' AH DIDN'T SEARCH VALLEY SKEDS IN DEPTH.............BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
September 19th, 2023, 09:48 AM
I mostly agree, but still firmly believe the top half of the Ivy League plays good football. The top two or three teams, in most years, are legitimate top 25 programs. It’s a damn shame they don’t participate in the playoffs, so we will never really know. It’s also a damn shame that they don’t challenge themselves a bit more in the non-conference.

That said, when the top Ivies do “play up” they typically do well. Problem is, to your point, there’s not a large enough body of work. These schools and their presidents, administration, and alums really only care about their little seven game Ivy season. The three non-conference games are just filler. However, there’s a reason that every year in the NFL there are a bunch of Ivy alums. You get really good football players that could player at a higher level but elect to play in the Ivy instead (smart kids).

2021: Dartmouth over #23 New Hampshire (UNH proved to stink that year, but were ranked at the time), Princeton over Monmouth

2019: Yale over Richmond

2018: Princeton over Monmouth (a 51-9 spanking), Yale over Maine (the year they went to the semis) and over Mercer

Outside of Yale and sometimes Princeton, the rest of the Ivy plays awful OOC schedules.

So, basically, while my eyes tell me the best of the Ivy can hang against the top 25, I suppose that’s hard to prove given who they play.

As mentioned, damn shame.

Damn truth and Solid post right here

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2023, 09:50 AM
Today it’s the talented halter top covering the humps wearing Camels of Campbell

No doubt the Camels have talent and good looks, but again what lil Darlin don’t? Don’t fall for the lipstick and the false eye lashes this pretty Camel is flashing at you because the sun will rise and you will be another notch in her lipstick caseWhile Ms. Benatar may be a fan of the BuiesCreekBoyz, Fergie definitely loves her Camels!

https://youtu.be/iEe_eraFWWs?feature=shared

MUHAWKS
September 19th, 2023, 10:13 AM
Sort of agree c hen- although they just got us last week, I did not feel I was watching a TOP FCS team- Their O line is an issue if they play a team with a smaller or just not great D line b/c if they get a lead they can wear you down, I think they average 6-5,340 and are sort of athletic not just slobs.

They seem to have improved coaching and moxy and with all these transfers and 3 star type recruits as you said the "talent" is there that they may be able to "play with" most FCS teams. As of now, Monmouth is average with the capability to be below average and with 3 starters out they needed a couple late stops and stops by us to put us away. The jury is still out and with a schedule that goes- elon, C central, hampton, maine, richmond, UNC, Hens, NC A&T they will have the opportunity to get to 8 wins yet will still need to beat some decent teams. If they make the playoffs I see them being like Gardener Webb from last year. A strage team b/c they do not come and just wow you but have enough to be good..

caribbeanhen
October 1st, 2023, 09:53 AM

Well the sun has risen and the lil Darling Camels have been exposed and it ain’t really that pretty

wcugrad95
October 1st, 2023, 10:11 AM
I know they lost, but if NCCU is truly a top-15 team is an OT loss to them on the road (that should have seen a 2nd OT except for a blocked XP) be seen as a bad loss? Not saying the Camels belong in top-25 discussions and a loss is a loss. But they looked as good as Central to me (admittedly I only watched the tail-end of the game).

MUHAWKS
October 1st, 2023, 10:19 AM
I know they lost, but if NCCU is truly a top-15 team is an OT loss to them on the road (that should have seen a 2nd OT except for a blocked XP) be seen as a bad loss? Not saying the Camels belong in top-25 discussions and a loss is a loss. But they looked as good as Central to me (admittedly I only watched the tail-end of the game).

It is a good point you bring up but the facts are you need to win somehow- Being competitive and losing close games is not a major feat. Just ask UNH who very well may have ruined their playoff chances yesterday. There are so many good teams that being "in" close games with decent teams really does not mean much. My team (Monmouth) last year who Hen referred to also as a "darling" and correctly experienced the same thing last year losing 3 games all to decent teams on the last drive and another blowing a 4th qtr lead- the result? 5-6 and nobody gives a crap! With the margin of error so thin in terms of playoffs or not/ winning or not, unless there is true fraud (clear bad ref call) at the end of the game the only things that matter are wins. I will also note that Campbell blew a 3 score lead and let up damn near 50 points, so it just does not translate into being "good". Incanate word last year and I guess Fordham were teams who were able to let up tons of points and still be good but they had stupid potent offenses which Campbell simply does not.

ElCid
October 1st, 2023, 11:01 AM
It is a good point you bring up but the facts are you need to win somehow- Being competitive and losing close games is not a major feat. Just ask UNH who very well may have ruined their playoff chances yesterday. There are so many good teams that being "in" close games with decent teams really does not mean much. My team (Monmouth) last year who Hen referred to also as a "darling" and correctly experienced the same thing last year losing 3 games all to decent teams on the last drive and another blowing a 4th qtr lead- the result? 5-6 and nobody gives a crap! With the margin of error so thin in terms of playoffs or not/ winning or not, unless there is true fraud (clear bad ref call) at the end of the game the only things that matter are wins. I will also note that Campbell blew a 3 score lead and let up damn near 50 points, so it just does not translate into being "good". Incanate word last year and I guess Fordham were teams who were able to let up tons of points and still be good but they had stupid potent offenses which Campbell simply does not.

Exactly, lots of really good teams just can't win. There is an either an issue with the coach, players getting on the same page, just plain bad luck is stuck to them, or something. Once good teams "learn" how to win as well, they deserve much more poll respect. I was hesitant a few weeks ago to acknowledge WCU because I didn't think they had learned how to win. I now think they have. Campbell is a really good team, easily a top 25 team technically, but they have yet to learn how to win, which will keep them from winning those close ones, and out of the conversation. In the case of Campbell, and I have only hearsay knowledge, I suspect that their mercenary use of transfers is keeping them back as a team. I thought they had over 20! I've seen it from a few schools. There is a lot to be said about having a team grow up together. I'm sure those who love to use transfers will disagree, but it's all just opinion as to its impact, either pro or con. There are results supporting either side.

MSUBobcat
October 1st, 2023, 11:18 AM

I must be looking at this from a different perspective than most. I was thinking, if NCCU was a top-25 team, they would have beaten Campbell much more handily. Campbell isn't on my watch-list at this point. A 10pt home loss to a W&M that I haven't been high on all year (they're #21 in my mock poll for this week - may need to figure out how to submit a poll for y'all to roast; this **** is hard!), 4pt home loss to a movin'-on-up (but still middle of my poll) Elon and now a loss to NCCU, with their best win being.... 14pt road win over 2-3 Monmouth? So I look at NCCU, whose best win is a 14pt road win over NC A&T? The overtime eking over Campbell solidifies my opinion that NCCU isn't top 25, and Campbell definitely isn't. NCCU can prove me wrong next weekend at Elon, and I'll happily re-organize my poll. Did I mention this **** is hard?!

MUHAWKS
October 1st, 2023, 11:46 AM
I must be looking at this from a different perspective than most. I was thinking, if NCCU was a top-25 team, they would have beaten Campbell much more handily. Campbell isn't on my watch-list at this point. A 10pt home loss to a W&M that I haven't been high on all year (they're #21 in my mock poll for this week - may need to figure out how to submit a poll for y'all to roast; this **** is hard!), 4pt home loss to a movin'-on-up (but still middle of my poll) Elon and now a loss to NCCU, with their best win being.... 14pt road win over 2-3 Monmouth? So I look at NCCU, whose best win is a 14pt road win over NC A&T? The overtime eking over Campbell solidifies my opinion that NCCU isn't top 25, and Campbell definitely isn't. NCCU can prove me wrong next weekend at Elon, and I'll happily re-organize my poll. Did I mention this **** is hard?!

and in the end does it eve really matter?? Yes it is nice for fans to have dreams but if anyone thinks that anyone is beating you guys or SDSU they are on crack, at least ot from The CAA. Some opined Holy Cross could be that team, I just do not see it. The other teams Like Idaho etc I guess have a shot but you get my point- Even The CAA's best has no real shot anyway. I know this post is not about that and more about rankings and darlings, but Campbell there is just something missing. They are capable to upset someone's playoff dreams for sure but just not a consistent team..

WileECoyote06
October 1st, 2023, 12:51 PM

I think you are undervaluing both teams. That being said, it's hard to get a read on Campbell. If you don't consider them a top-25 team, it may very well be because they have already played three top-25 caliber teams. At some point you have to win games, but Campbell really hasn't been blown out by anyone either.

I also think this loss devastated Campbell's playoff chances. Even at 7-4 with a win over Delaware, I don't think they get in.

MSUBobcat
October 1st, 2023, 01:36 PM
I think you are undervaluing both teams. That being said, it's hard to get a read on Campbell. If you don't consider them a top-25 team, it may very well be because they have already played three top-25 caliber teams. At some point you have to win games, but Campbell really hasn't been blown out by anyone either.

I also think this loss devastated Campbell's playoff chances. Even at 7-4 with a win over Delaware, I don't think they get in.

It's definitely possible that I'm undervaluing them, but Campell has a 2-score loss at home to my #20/21 W&M, beat a bad Citadel team that hasn't been competitive in any of their games, beat a meh Monmouth (best win), lost by 4 at home to Elon that I was admittedly low on. So I feel okay not having Campbell in my top 30 or so.

NCCU beat up on Winston-Salem, had a 2-score road win over NC A&T (best win?), got thumped by a good FBS in UCLA, easily handled an MVSU team that is winless with 2 losses to D-II teams, and used a blocked EP in OT to eke by the team I don't have in my top 25-30 (is this the best win?). My reasoning is, if I have Campbell at #28-35 (it was hard enough to do the bottom of the top 25, so I don't know exactly where I'd have them), and NCCU got by them by the skin of their teeth, at home no less, I can't have them too much ahead of Campbell. Like I said, next weekend provides a good barometer to how far off I am. Also, the gap between, say, 18 to 30 is pretty small. IMO and based on only a handful of games. I'm hoping things start to to shape, cuz I only like my top 12 or so at this point and that's even generous perhaps.