PDA

View Full Version : FCS Stadiums need better lighting!

Retro
December 1st, 2007, 07:55 PM
One thing that unfortunately apparant at the Wofford game and at most FCS night games, is that they all need better lighting, especially for TV.

Wofford appears to have only 2 sets of lights on each side. It makes this game somewhat difficult to watch with all the shadows, etc.. Even though Mcneese has 4 sets, when on TV it's clear more lighting is needed especially in the corners of the field..

This is something that IMO makes the production of the game look cheap or the quality of the game become high schoolish looking to the casual fan... I would hope more schools notice this and try to address this.

If we are ever to get the respect we all feel is due from the rest of the college football media world, we need to improve our image when on TV like tonight... I don't believe you have to have a 50,000 seat stadium just to have good lighting or make the game look top notch on TV

Zoo
December 1st, 2007, 07:57 PM
One thing that unfortunately apparant at the Wofford game and at most FCS night games, is that they all need better lighting, especially for TV.

Wofford appears to have only 2 sets of lights on each side. It makes this game somewhat difficult to watch with all the shadows, etc.. Even though Mcneese has 4 sets, when on TV it's clear more lighting is needed especially in the corners of the field..

This is something that IMO makes the production of the game look cheap or the quality of the game become high schoolish looking to the casual fan... I would hope more schools notice this and try to address this.

If we are ever to get the respect we all feel is due from the rest of the college football media world, we need to improve our image when on TV like tonight... I don't believe you have to have a 50,000 seat stadium just to have good lighting or make the game look top notch on TV

I agree with you on some points, but I don't think it's the lights at all, I think it's more the size of the stadium, the majority of casual college football fans seem to love games being played in huge stadiums. xpeacex

McNeese_beat
December 1st, 2007, 08:21 PM
I agree with you on some points, but I don't think it's the lights at all, I think it's more the size of the stadium, the majority of casual college football fans seem to love games being played in huge stadiums. xpeacex

I tell you who hates FCS stadiums...photographers. Of course, if it's a day game it's a moot point...

But a school like McNeese, that makes a point to play night games, needs to have better lights to do that.

bisonguy
December 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
I tell you who hates FCS stadiums...photographers. Of course, if it's a day game it's a moot point...

But a school like McNeese, that makes a point to play night games, needs to have better lights to do that.

It's not just FCS stadiums that photographers hate. I had assumed that the Metrodome, being home to an NFL team, MLB team, and a Big Ten football team would have much better lighting than the dark cave that's known as the Fargodome. While the lighting was better, I only gained about 1/3 stop.

I'd much rather shoot football outside during the day. xnodx

McNeese_beat
December 2nd, 2007, 07:38 PM
It's not just FCS stadiums that photographers hate. I had assumed that the Metrodome, being home to an NFL team, MLB team, and a Big Ten football team would have much better lighting than the dark cave that's known as the Fargodome. While the lighting was better, I only gained about 1/3 stop.

I'd much rather shoot football outside during the day. xnodx

I wonder if the Metrodome doesn't crank its lights to full capacity for the Gophers. I've seen that with McNeese's basketball arena. There are "TV" lights that don't come on unless it's a TV game...

bisonguy
December 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
I wonder if the Metrodome doesn't crank its lights to full capacity for the Gophers. I've seen that with McNeese's basketball arena. There are "TV" lights that don't come on unless it's a TV game...

The game was televised on the Big Ten Network, so I would hope they had them cranked up. There was an additional bank or two of lights that were not on, but I don't know if they may only be used for baseball, etc.....

ERASU2113
December 2nd, 2007, 11:56 PM

I think when the new complex and updates are made at Kidd Brewer more lighting will be added.

But I agree with you, ESPN has complained about it before and brought in some extra lights for last year. I think eventually more lights will be added. The thing is, FCS schools need more exposure on TV to make it feasable to put more lights in their stadiums.

Syntax Error
December 3rd, 2007, 12:58 AM
Good point Retro. Thanks for all the care you give for FCS!

uofmman1122
December 3rd, 2007, 12:59 AM
Who needs lights?! Play your games like real men at 12:05 PM!!! xmadx xlolx xlolx xlolx

WyomingGrizFan
December 3rd, 2007, 02:17 AM
In the Southland Conference in August/September, at noon? Well, we all saw how the Griz players could handle playing in ninety degree weather at 7 pm against Sam Houston State back in 2004, so, why not rather at noon, huh? Yeah, right.

People have been known to drop dead from heat exhaustion, haven't they?