PDA

View Full Version : THE BEST CONFERENCE

matfu
December 1st, 2007, 05:10 PM
after tonight someone will have bragging rights. some might claim getting 5teams in (the caa) says a lot and it does say something POSITIVE...but we could argue all day what it says. as far as the playoffs after tonight, you would have to say the bragging rights will go to either the caa or the southern...whichever team gets two teams to the semis (this is assuming s. ill. holds on and beats u mass).

if wofford beats richmond the southern conf will be:

2 and 0 against the caa in the playoffs
2-0 agaginst the big sky
4 and 0 overall

caa will be 4 and 4 in the playoffs overall

so, if u mass gets beat and wofford wins, clearly SO FAR the southern conf has been the best team in the playoffs and imho furman or ga southern could have had a great chance of winning a game or two in the playoffs. REMEMBER, this is one man's opinion.

Griz40
December 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM
after tonight someone will have bragging rights. some might claim getting 5teams in (the caa) says a lot and it does say something POSITIVE...but we could argue all day what it says. as far as the playoffs after tonight, you would have to say the bragging rights will go to either the caa or the southern...whichever team gets two teams to the semis (this is assuming s. ill. holds on and beats u mass).

2-0 agaginst the big sky
4 and 0 overall

so, if u mass gets beat and wofford wins, clearly SO FAR the southern conf has been the best team in the playoffs and imho furman or ga southern could have had a great chance of winning a game or two in the playoffs. REMEMBER, this is one man's opinion.
I think the only bragging rights go the winner in Nooga.

BlueHen86
December 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
Agreed. IMO the "best conference" argument is a big waste of time.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 1st, 2007, 05:17 PM

Wrong. I think the CAA deserves bragging rights for getting 5 teams in this year. 4 teams is almost unheard of if you look at most of the FCS history. I also think the SoCon deserved bragging rights if Wofford wins and a SoCon team wins the NC.

ChickenMan
December 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM

2-0 agaginst the big sky
4 and 0 overall

and the CAA will have played 2 home games vs 5 on the road.. while the SoCon will have played 3 at home and only 1 on the road... that does make a difference... ;)

93BlueHen
December 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM
All we can do at this point is narrow it down.

SoCon and CAA are the favorites, with Gateway still alive with SIU.

Winner to be decided in two weeks in Choo-choo Town.

matfu
December 1st, 2007, 05:25 PM
ALL EXCELLENT POINTS! again you have to not only be good but be lucky to win it all, as proven last week by the app state-james madison game and the james madison-furman game in 2004. i will put my $ on wofford!

AlphaSigMD
December 1st, 2007, 05:39 PM
But, as clearly expected, the Semi's will be participated in by (in no particular order)
1. SoCon
2. CAA
3. Gateway.

Some of the lower tier conferences that fail to battle-test their teams with a rigorous conference schedule don't fare as well in the playoffs.

appfan2008
December 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM
the top three have seperated themselves this year...

pather
December 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM
next year its gotta be the gateway

UNI, NDSU, SIU. thats 3 top 5 teams. and then Youngstown, ISU, WIU, SDSU, and mo state isnt a pushover

thats a crazy 6-7 deep conference

AlphaSigMD
December 1st, 2007, 06:01 PM
Its tough to tell, they very well could be, if all teams return in their present form,but UNI loses a lot this year, NDSU will play a more difficult scheule, i'm not sure about SIU, ISU or WIU. Hopefully youngstown will get back into their A game though.

pather
December 1st, 2007, 06:06 PM
yeah obviously teams lose stuff...SIU loses hill and allen and turner and plenty more, but on the whole and towards the future thats 6 very proud programs with history of success

Go Cats
December 1st, 2007, 06:09 PM
Wrong. I think the CAA deserves bragging rights for getting 5 teams in this year. 4 teams is almost unheard of if you look at most of the FCS history. I also think the SoCon deserved bragging rights if Wofford wins and a SoCon team wins the NC.

Caa did get 5 teams in, but really the conference winner is the only one that counts, the rest are opinions. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

th0m
December 1st, 2007, 06:13 PM
It doesn't take a genius to figure out which three conferences are the best. If you want to narrow it down any further, you're just speculating. Having said that, the Socon is taking care of business the best possible way so far, pending the Woffy-Richmond game.

ASUG8
December 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM
Agreed. IMO the "best conference" argument is a big waste of time.

I'm with you. We've all wasted a lot of time (myself included) talking up our conferences and beating on others. The playoff system eliminates all our subjectivity and allows the best team to prove itself. The SoCon had a number of great teams this year, but only two made it and have done well so far. Sure, I have a bias, but I hope next year I won't be making general comments about a conference as we've seen close games with both SoCon/Big Sky matchups this year. I've learned that nobody is a cupcake until you seal the deal at the end of the game. The "Big Fluffy" has some good teams as evidenced by their play this year against strong playoff rivals. Big Sky earned my respect in the playoffs, but not before. I stand corrected. My apologies.

Saint3333
December 1st, 2007, 07:17 PM
Year in and year out the SoCon performs the best in the playoffs. Keep it going Wofford.

appfan2008
December 1st, 2007, 07:26 PM
we have more championships and more wins more everything in the playoffs... go socon

93BlueHen
December 1st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Year in and year out the SoCon performs the best in the playoffs. Keep it going Wofford.

Well, so far the CAA has four wins in this year's playoff and the SoCon has three. Better hope your Wofford boys pull one out for you tonight.

ASUG8
December 1st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Well, so far the CAA has four wins in this year's playoff and the SoCon has three. Better hope your Wofford boys pull one out for you tonight.

Sorry, but do the math....how many playoff victories could two teams have at this point?

2x2=4

You could have 4x2=8, but you don't. No smack intended, just math.

UNHWildCats
December 1st, 2007, 07:33 PM
next year its gotta be the gateway

UNI, NDSU, SIU. thats 3 top 5 teams. and then Youngstown, ISU, WIU, SDSU, and mo state isnt a pushover

thats a crazy 6-7 deep conference
Umass, UNH, Delaware, Richmond, Villanova, James Madison, Hofstra. The CAA is pretty deep too. Also keep in mind having those extra two good teams will only cause more losses to other top teams. While NDSU was a top 5 throughout 2007, the same wouldn't have been guaranteed if they played in the Gateway this year, of course they could have run the table, but then UNI and SIU may have just been outsiide the top 5. Nothing matters when talking about the Gateway and NDSU and SDSU until 2008. What happened in 2007, stays in 2007

UNHWildCats
December 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM
The CAA and SoCon both have performed great this year in the playoffs. Yes the CAA has suffered some loses, but all were close defeats, UNH by 3, JMU by 1?, UMass by 7.

Gil Dobie
December 1st, 2007, 07:37 PM
While NDSU was a top 5 throughout 2007, the same wouldn't have been guaranteed if they played in the Gateway this year, of course they could have run the table, but then UNI and SIU may have just been outsiide the top 5.

That's where the CAA has an advantage, every team doesn't play every team. :(

Peems
December 1st, 2007, 07:40 PM

Next year with the XDSUs will all Gateway teams play each other?(honest question)

Saint3333
December 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM

Year in and year out; you might want to do some research before getting into this debate.xreadx

UNHWildCats
December 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM
True, but that happens in every sport. In the NFL a team doesnt play every other team in its conference.

In Baseball teams play more inside their division yet compete with others for Wildcards. Would a 90-72 2nd place Detroit Tigers team who got to play 3 of the 5 worst offensive teams in baseball 60 times be more deserving then a 89-73 NY Yankees team who had to play 80 games against 4 teams who ranked in the top 16 in offense?

When you go beyond just straight out winners making the playoffs, it will never be 100% complete fair playing fields.

ChickenMan
December 1st, 2007, 07:44 PM

but they seldom have ANY automatic wins built into those CAA league schedules.. like are normally included in both the Gateway (Indiana St) and SoCon (WCU & UTC) conference schedules... ;)

UNHWildCats
Next year with the XDSUs will all Gateway teams play each other?(honest question)
Yes, 9 teams in the Gateway and they will play 8 conference games, they cant play themselves, though Cap'n does all the time xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Gil Dobie

Yes, 4 home, 4 away.

matfu
December 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
The CAA and SoCon both have performed great this year in the playoffs. Yes the CAA has suffered some loses, but all were close defeats, UNH by 3, JMU by 1?, UMass by 7.

unfortunately in sports being "close" doesn't really mean much; all that is remembered down the road is a win is a win is a win. no smack intended.

proasu89
December 1st, 2007, 08:53 PM
The CAA is the best conference this year.

matfu
December 1st, 2007, 08:54 PM
i knew all the caa teams did not play each other in the season and thought this might be an unfair advantage (vs the southern conf teams beating each other up as might happen in the gateway next year). but when checking the schedules a couple of weeks ago, only 1 of the 5 caa playoffs teams got a huge break by not playing at least 3 of the other caa teams who go in the playpoffs. don't remember which team it was.

i wonder if the committee should change their rules about the 4th loss almost always eliminating you as an at-large team from the playoffs since i see more and more of this happening in the future (the good conferences having their teams beat each other up). the way it does help is the caa teams. southern conference teams ARE battle-tested for the playoffs. montana might be an example at least this year of a lack of being battle-tested. i also question the benefit of the furmans and app states of the world playing a fbs team every year. the pay check it could but it really hurts you in trying to make the playoffs. montana again would be a contrasting example.

matfu
December 1st, 2007, 08:56 PM
The CAA is the best conference this year.

it is POSSIBLE you could be right BUT it could be the southern confernce. i guess we will never know. any reason for staing that as your opinion?

i think wofford, app state, ga southern and furman would do well against most of the teams. furman just did not come to play in the second half against hofstra.

UDChE89
December 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM
i knew all the caa teams did not play each other in the season and thought this might be an unfair advantage (vs the southern conf teams beating each other up as might happen in the gateway next year). but when checking the schedules a couple of weeks ago, only 1 of the 5 caa playoffs teams got a huge break by not playing at least 3 of the other caa teams who go in the playoffs. don't remember which team it was.

i wonder if the committee should change their rules about the 4th loss almost always eliminating you as an at-large team from the playoffs since i see more and more of this happening in the future (the good conferences having their teams beat each other up). the way it does help is the caa teams. southern conference teams ARE battle-tested for the playoffs. montana might be an example at least this year of a lack of being battle-tested. i also question the benefit of the furmans and app states of the world playing a fbs team every year. the pay check it could but it really hurts you in trying to make the playoffs. montana again would be a contrasting example.

The section bolded is UMass.. they didn't play UD, UR, or JMU

matfu
December 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM

2-0 agaginst the big sky
4 and 0 overall

BALL GAME. congrats to richmond. i knew very little about them and assumed wofford would have no problem after whipping montana in the cold. I WAS WRONG! i don't mind eating crow! no guts, no glory!

congrats again to richmond AND the caa.

matfu
December 1st, 2007, 09:17 PM
i agree with a few earlier posts here. bragging rights mean nothing other than which team wins the whole thing....lol. who was the idiot who started this thread? (lol).

congrats again to Richmond and the CAA

93BlueHen
December 1st, 2007, 09:17 PM
Two CAA teams in the semis on opposite sides of the bracket!

That just made Dave "I won't pick a CAA team" Coulson's predictions for the semis so much easier!

Keep on picking against us Homer!! It only motivates us.

GO POULTRY AND ARACHNIDS! BEAT UGLY DOGS AND TOOTHLESS HILL PEOPLE!!!

GreatAppSt
December 1st, 2007, 09:32 PM
xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xrolleyesx

UNHWildCats
December 1st, 2007, 09:34 PM

That just made Dave "I won't pick a CAA team" Coulson's predictions for the semis so much easier!

Whats he gonna do with a Delaware/Richmond final? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

93BlueHen
December 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Whats he gonna do with a Delaware/Richmond final? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Resign from TSN, hopefully.

MR. CHICKEN
December 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=matfu;776158]ALL EXCELLENT POINTS! again you have to not only be good but be lucky to win it all, as proven last week by the app state-james madison game and the james madison-furman game in 2004. [B]i will put my $ on wofford

SHUDDAH PUT YER DUCATS....IN DUH ROTH IRA.....YEAH....DELAWARE'S ROTH!

AZGrizFan
December 1st, 2007, 11:57 PM
and the CAA will have played 2 home games vs 5 on the road.. while the SoCon will have played 3 at home and only 1 on the road... that does make a difference... ;)

apparently not to the Griz any more. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

UMass922
December 2nd, 2007, 12:14 AM
What's clear is that the Gateway, SoCon, and CAA are the three best conferences. But I don't think there's much that clearly separates one of those from the other two.

WildCat In The Hat
December 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
The section bolded is UMass.. they didn't play UD, UR, or JMU

Keep In mind UMASS did play and beat UNH (made playoffs), Hofstra and Villanova-both had arguments to get to playoffs. They also gave Boston College, a top ranked FBS team a run for their money. I think people tend to forget, if you don't play every team in your conference, you may also be missing out on playing some of the easier teams. And these "easier" teams are part of the reason from top to bottom the caa is the best conference this year. Rhody knocks off UMASS, Northeastern knocks off UNH, etc.
No slights to any other conference-we all love great (especially FCS) football. The caa is exceptionally deep this year.

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
Yes.

blueballs
December 2nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
Caa did get 5 teams in, but really the conference winner is the only one that counts, the rest are opinions. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

...and just like assholes, most of them stink.xlolx

Jaxhen
December 2nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
What's clear is that the Gateway, SoCon, and CAA are the three best conferences. But I don't think there's much that clearly separates one of those from the other two.

I agree. All three are great conferences. Arguing which one is the best based on last second plays or lucky bounces of the ball is pretty silly. There have been a lot of great games in the playoffs so far which could have easily gone either way.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 10:21 AM
but they seldom have ANY automatic wins built into those CAA league schedules.. like are normally included in both the Gateway (Indiana St) and SoCon (WCU & UTC) conference schedules... ;)

Rhody. William and Mary. Northeastern. Please.

The CAA is toughest this year, imo, based on their road play in the playoffs.

ChickenMan
December 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
Rhody. William and Mary. Northeastern. Please.

The CAA is toughest this year, imo, based on their road play in the playoffs.

URI beat UMass

N'eastern beat UNH

Towson beat Richmond

WHO did Indiana St beat????

stevdock
December 2nd, 2007, 10:47 AM

I completely agree with that statement, especially this year. Obviously the CAA and SoCon have a bunch of good teams and I think next year with NDSU and SDSU joining the Gateway, they will have just as many good teams at the top of their conference as those others.

ButlerGSU
December 2nd, 2007, 10:51 AM
xcoffeex

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
URI beat UMass

N'eastern beat UNH

Towson beat Richmond

They each managed one upset and ISU didn't. Big deal.xrolleyesx They're still weak sisters. I'd trade playing Indiana State, Illinois State, and Missouri State to play N'eastern, Towson, and URI this year.

ChickenMan
December 2nd, 2007, 10:58 AM
They each managed one upset and ISU didn't. Big deal.xrolleyesx They're still weak sisters. I'd trade playing Indiana State, Illinois State, and Missouri State to play N'eastern, Towson, and URI this year.

Sure you would.. URI, N'eastern and Towson all beat playoff teams.. how many playoff teams did those three Gateway schools beat this year??? :p

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Sure you would.. URI, N'eastern and Towson all beat playoff teams.. how many playoff teams did those three Gateway schools beat this year??? :p I

If Ilinois State hadn't beaten YSU, UNH would have watched the playoffs on TV.xlolx

NovaHater
December 2nd, 2007, 01:08 PM
URI beat UMass

N'eastern beat UNH

Towson beat Richmond

Wait a minute, aren't you forgetting someone ?

Villanova beat UD xnonox

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
I

If Ilinois State hadn't beaten YSU, UNH would have watched the playoffs on TV.xlolx

If Villanova had not of played Maryland and played (insert any Gateway school) instead, they would have been 8-3 and that would make 6 CAA teams in the playoffs....yes?

93BlueHen
December 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
Wait a minute, aren't you forgetting someone ?

Villanova beat UD xnonox

We were resting our players for the playoffs.;)

BigApp
December 2nd, 2007, 01:16 PM

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

BigApp
December 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM

you can't be serious. xrolleyesx

Can't speak for the Gateway, but I can tell you that NO SoCon team is considering dropping it's football program.

Ask GSU how 'automatic' their UTC game was, or Wofford how 'automatic' that WCU game was.

Attila the Hen
December 2nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
I'm not looking to throw any pies at any other conferences. We all know there is some awfully good football being played in several conferences. But in the five seasons from 2003 to 2007, six different CAA teams (UMass, JMU, UD, UNH, Richmond, W&M) have played their way into the semifinals and Richmond is trying to make it four different teams in the finals. I think that speaks volumes about the depth in the CAA and the difficulty in winning the conference.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 2nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
I'm not looking to throw any pies at any other conferences. We all know there is some awfully good football being played in several conferences. But in the five seasons from 2003 to 2007, six different CAA teams (UMass, JMU, UD, UNH, Richmond, W&M) have played their way into the semifinals and Richmond is trying to make it four different teams in the finals. I think that speaks volumes about the depth in the CAA and the difficulty in winning the conference.

Um, thanks, but UNH never actually made it past the quarters.
Unless you counting next year.:D

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
The SOCON, Gateway and CAA are all tough conferences. All that matters at this point is who has the best team. We'll know in two weeks.

BigApp
December 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
I think that speaks volumes about the depth in the CAA and the difficulty in winning the conference.

Difficulty winning the conference? UMass was your AQ, right? How'd they do against the best 3 other teams in the conference (Richmond, Delaware, JMU)

Here's a hint: UMass won the CAA by beating teams #5-12, not #2-4.

xreadx

blukeys
December 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Difficulty winning the conference? UMass was your AQ, right? How'd they do against the best 3 other teams in the conference (Richmond, Delaware, JMU)

Here's a hint: UMass won the CAA by beating teams #5-12, not #2-4.

xreadx

No Umass became the AQ courtesy of a coin flip.

Houndawg
December 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
No Umass became the AQ courtesy of a coin flip.

If you have to do that, your conference is too big.

The CAA is the deepest conference this year. That may well not be true next year.

Skjellyfetti
December 2nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
The CAA is the deepest conference this year.

I think this is definitely true. It's too hard to say which is the best conference; too subjective imo.

GoColonels!
December 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM
From a "down-and-out" OVC fan....

My admittedly "subjective" take: CAA seems the best for now, with a very strong SoCon a close 2nd and a nearly-as-strong Gateway a close 3rd.

And yes, then there's a BIG gap after the Gateway down to everyone else, including Big Sky, Southland, Patriot, MEAC, OVC.

The question for the "rest" of us is how the gap might ever be closed. There was a time when the OVC was competitive nationally, but it's obviously been WAY too many years...

devilhen
December 3rd, 2007, 11:31 AM

...and yet they still face more difficult opponents for more weeks than in most other conferences... Would you like to trade by playing UNH, JMU, Richmond, Villanova, etc. all in one guantlet??

Tim James
December 3rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
The question for the "rest" of us is how the gap might ever be closed. There was a time when the OVC was competitive nationally, but it's obviously been WAY too many years...

The gap will be closed when teams in the "big 3" conferences move up to FBS.

Blue Hen Nation
December 3rd, 2007, 11:45 AM

The man knows what he's talking about. xthumbsupx

devilhen
December 3rd, 2007, 11:56 AM

Well, you're wrong at least about Northeastern. They beat Hofstra & New Hampshire, lost to JMU by a touchdown & Delaware by 10. I watched that game in person & Northeastern was good. The perspective you lose by not being intimately familiar with the CAA is that a good team can be made to look pretty bad at times.

You are kidding about Indiana State - right? Looks like any decent team in the Gateway put up from 50 to 70 points on them & they didn't have a win.

Ronin
December 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
It doesn't take a genius to figure out which three conferences are the best. If you want to narrow it down any further, you're just speculating...

So true xbowx

CID1990
December 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
it is POSSIBLE you could be right BUT it could be the southern confernce. i guess we will never know. any reason for staing that as your opinion?

i think wofford, app state, ga southern and The Citadel would do well against most of the teams. furman could not beat the CAA's #6 team, hofstra.

Fixed it for ya! xthumbsupx

proasu89
December 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM

I seriously doubt that Mr.C is used to motivate the people that actually have a say in thisxsmiley_wix

Hoboken Dukes
December 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
it's been a great round of playoffs so far, very impressed by almost every team in the field.

just realized this morning that jmu played 3 out of the 4 semifinalists and lost to all 3.......by a combined 5 points.......2 of them on the road......and were driving for the winning/tying points in every game before turning the ball over. *sigh*

2008 can't get here quick enough

BigApp
December 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
...and yet they still face more difficult opponents for more weeks than in most other conferences... Would you like to trade by playing UNH, JMU, Richmond, Villanova, etc. all in one guantlet??

we're staring at a JMU, Richmond, Delaware 'gauntlet' right now...so yes, if they're in your conference you should be playing them annually.

unicat87
December 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
We were resting our players for the playoffs.;)

Unfortunately, that worked! ;) -unicat87

WrenFGun
December 3rd, 2007, 06:53 PM
The CAA was frighteningly deep this year, but I think all three conferences are virtually equal. The CAA was easily the deepest, but that's a relative statement considering all teams don't play all teams. With that said, there is no doubt (and plenty of evidence to suggest) that any team could beat any team last year.

With that said, the SoCon had six strong teams (Elon, Wofford, GSU and The Cidatel were all quality) and the Gateway had quality opponents like WIU, YSU and Illinois State (they had a brutal schedule).

Will be interesting to see where/how the CAA looks next season. Delaware (Flacco/Cuff), UNH (Santos, LeVan), UMass (Rancher, Moore, Lawrence, Listorti), Hofstra (Huggins, I think, Sullivan) and Richmond (Hightower) all lose their big guns, or some of them. James Madison and Villanova look strongest to me, and you have to like UMass with Coen. I don't know what UD is doing to replace Flacco, either. As a UNH homer, I think Toman will step right in and continue to perform, though UNH needs to work on finding/improving a defense and getting a a bruiser to complement Kackert (Simpson/Jellison need to step it up).

UNH returns a number of quality players everywhere (Clements and Vasso at CB, Souza at S, Young, Taylor and Peters at DE and Parent at LB, and should add guys like Ware, Long, Maroney, Mailloux, McGuiness, Klein, Duper, Jackson and Ruhl in nicely)...

UNH seems, also, like they might be in UMass' boat next season, as they don't play perennial powerhouses UD, JMU or UR, though admittedly, Towson, W&M and 'Nova could all finish in the top 2 or 3.

gophoenix
December 3rd, 2007, 11:46 PM
we're staring at a JMU, Richmond, Delaware 'gauntlet' right now...so yes, if they're in your conference you should be playing them annually.

What if UTC had to play an App, GSU, Furman, Wofford, Elon and The Citadel Gauntlet next year???

Oh yeah, they do, and the year after and after and after..... xlolx

Not that UTC is bad, but, at the end of the year, we know who is best in the SoCon and Gateway.

th0m
December 4th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Yes, and even though we don't know who the best in our conference is, they still might go out and beat teams from other conferences in the playoffs...

already123
December 5th, 2007, 09:48 AM
The best conf goes to the one that provides the Nat'l Champ...

YoUDeeMan
December 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
The best conf goes to the one that provides the Nat'l Champ...

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

No, the national champ is the best team and their success does not directly reflect on the other half dozen or more teams in the conference.

The rest of the teams in a conference must man up themselves and put on a good showing. xnodx

ChickenMan
December 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM

No, the national champ is the best team and their success does not directly reflect on the other half dozen or more teams in the conference.

The rest of the teams in a conference must man up themselves and put on a good showing. xnodx

That is very true and it has been said.. many times.. but when you have a league that has been traditionally.. totally dominated by the same three schools.. you are trying your best... NOT to hear that.... :p

Houndawg
December 5th, 2007, 10:41 AM

A good way to start would be by playing each other.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Isn't that what we're doing right now in the playoffs?

Houndawg
December 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Isn't that what we're doing right now in the playoffs?

In conference. You know, play each other and send your best on.

stevdock
December 5th, 2007, 11:10 AM
What?? There are conferences out there that don't play everyone in there conference??

ChickenMan
December 5th, 2007, 11:15 AM
What?? There are conferences out there that don't play everyone in there conference??

just the 'best' conference...... :p

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 11:17 AM
In conference. You know, play each other and send your best on.

Eh, why bother when your teams win enough in the playoffs. Are people really upset that UD is the 3rd place team from the CAA South and still in the playoffs? Well, I know the UNI fans are, but that's a different issue. And UNH got in despite playing the full gauntlet (Richmond, JMU, UD, and UMass). Really, the only team that didn't play a great schedule was UMass. So, it would've been 4 teams from the CAA had we had a better round robin? Not anywhere near the issue some are trying to make it out to be.

89Hen
December 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Eh, why bother when your teams win enough in the playoffs.
xnodx That's really should be the end of the discussion. If the CAA were getting 4 or 5 in and going 1-3 or 1-4, people would have a point.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM
xnodx That's really should be the end of the discussion. If the CAA were getting 4 or 5 in and going 1-3 or 1-4, people would have a point.

Yup, and instead we get 5 teams in and there are threads where people are practically praying for a non all-CAA final. A lot of wins had to happen between selections and that game for that to happen.

Oh, and with Richmond now making the semis this year, that now makes it 6 different teams from the CAA/A10 making it at least as far as the semifinals in the past 6 years. Not bad that half of the conference has been nationally relevant to that extent in just the past 6 years. Heck, some conferences have never had 6 different members make it this far.

Appaholic
December 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I vote for the Big Sky.....I know they are not still in the playoffs, but Wa/Griz is still in the conference.....'nuff said......anybody got a picture?

blukeys
December 5th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Yup, and instead we get 5 teams in and there are threads where people are practically praying for a non all-CAA final. A lot of wins had to happen between selections and that game for that to happen.

Oh, and with Richmond now making the semis this year, that now makes it 6 different teams from the CAA/A10 making it at least as far as the semifinals in the past 6 years. Not bad that half of the conference has been nationally relevant to that extent in just the past 6 years. Heck, some conferences have never had 6 different members make it this far.

I am constantly amazed that despite the performance of the CAA teams to date in the playoffs especially their road performances, that we still hear lame complaints about 5 teams in the playoffs.

Yet those same complainers are perfectly content that a conference without a win in the 21st century gets TWO teams in for their traditional one and done playoff routine.

UNH didn't deserve to get in but EIU did???? Anybody check the actual games and scores??

devilhen
December 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM

That's like saying the SEC is not a great football conference because they don't play each other. Does anything more need to be said??

If you want an empirical approach, then look at the Sagarin ratings. Sagarin independently rates the conferences and the Colonial is on top. It considers all members. One could argue that it is even harder for the Colonial to remain on top in the Sagarin rankings due to the number of teams in the conference.

Houndawg
December 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM
That's like saying the SEC is not a great football conference because they don't play each other. Does anything more need to be said??

If you want an empirical approach, then look at the Sagarin ratings. Sagarin independently rates the conferences and the Colonial is on top. It considers all members. One could argue that it is even harder for the Colonial to remain on top in the Sagarin rankings due to the number of teams in the conference.

Aconference is a group of teams that competes against each other. If you're not doing that, your conference is too big.

spdram
December 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Maybe it means we're so good everybody wants inxsmiley_wix

ChickenMan
December 5th, 2007, 03:03 PM
your conference is too big.

translation.. too strong.... :p

Houndawg
December 5th, 2007, 03:09 PM
translation.. too strong.... :p

The conference champion wasn't particilarly impressive.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM
The conference champion wasn't particilarly impressive.

We could say the same thing, and yours was decided on the field and not a coin toss. xpeacex

MR. CHICKEN
December 5th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I vote for the Big Sky.....I know they are not still in the playoffs, but Wa/Griz is still in the conference.....'nuff said......anybody got a picture?

xpopcornx

Syntax Error
December 5th, 2007, 03:34 PM
What?? There are conferences out there that don't play everyone in there conference??No, there are not conferences out there that don't play everyone in there conference. There is only one such conference in FCS.

Syntax Error
December 5th, 2007, 03:37 PM
... 6 different teams from the CAA/A10 making it at least as far as the semifinals in the past 6 years. Not bad that half of the conference has been nationally relevant to that extent in just the past 6 years. Heck, some conferences have never had 6 different members make it this far.Which conference(s) have had half or more of their members make the semis in the last six years?

Nevermind, I went and looked.

CAA
GATEWAY
SOCON

The same conferences that are represented in the current semis.

lizrdgizrd
December 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Which conference(s) have had half or more of their members make the semis in the last six years?

Nevermind, I went and looked.

CAA
GATEWAY
SOCON
And there we have it: The Three-Headed Monster! xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
December 5th, 2007, 03:56 PM
honorable mention goes to the SOUTHLAND for having 3 of 8.

matfu
December 5th, 2007, 09:25 PM

xpopcornx

-looks pretty empty to me....where is the montana football team?