PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern Football may be in trouble

Umass74
December 1st, 2007, 08:15 AM
Uh-oh. Northeastern is "reviewing" it's athletic programs including football

Story here (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view.bg?articleid=1048172).

DTSpider
December 1st, 2007, 08:18 AM
This isn't good for Northeastern.

ATrain
December 1st, 2007, 08:27 AM
If they drop football, it means the CAA will have 12 instead of 13 teams once ODU gets going.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 1st, 2007, 08:34 AM
This would not be good for any of the New England FCS teams

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM
You can link these "unexpected" financial problems to the foolish decision Northeastern made to pull out of the New England based-America East Conference in favor of the mid-Atlantic-based CAA for all sports. Too many plane trips and lo-o-o-ng bus rides to places like Delaware, Richmond, W&M, .... for CAA conference sports like tennis, soccer, baseball, T&F, field hockey, softball, ..... have killed the school financially -- and football will be the sacrificial lamb.

downbythebeach
December 1st, 2007, 09:37 AM
join the nec

UNHWildCats
December 1st, 2007, 10:12 AM
If Northeastern drops its football program who would move from the South to North when Old Dominion joins? Most likely Villanova?

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM
If Northeastern drops its football program who would move from the South to North when Old Dominion joins? Most likely Villanova?

That makes the most sense, but would they split up 'Nova and Delaware?

aust42
December 1st, 2007, 11:46 AM
You can link these "unexpected" financial problems to the foolish decision Northeastern made to pull out of the New England based-America East Conference in favor of the mid-Atlantic-based CAA for all sports. Too many plane trips and lo-o-o-ng bus rides to places like Delaware, Richmond, W&M, .... for CAA conference sports like tennis, soccer, baseball, T&F, field hockey, softball, ..... have killed the school financially -- and football will be the sacrificial lamb.

It doesn't help that they play on a high school football field in front of 75 fans. Football is a money pit for schools like Northeastern.

UMass922
December 1st, 2007, 12:37 PM
That makes the most sense, but would they split up 'Nova and Delaware?

I don't think there's any reason Villanova and Delaware couldn't schedule each other for (what would technically be) an out-of-conference game during the years they're not slated to play by the CAA. If the rivalry means enough to them, that's certainly an option.

mcveyrl
December 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM
I don't think there's any reason Villanova and Delaware couldn't schedule each other for (what would technically be) an out-of-conference game during the years they're not slated to play by the CAA. If the rivalry means enough to them, that's certainly an option.

Would UD schedule a home and home with 'Nova if they didn't have to? After the discussions about losing money in a DSU home and home (which I agree with), I would think they'd almost lose as much money going to 'Nova if they didn't have to. But, maybe it would be different since its an established rivalry.

mathman
December 1st, 2007, 01:34 PM
Georgia State will likely start up football so that might solve that problem.

ButlerGSU
December 1st, 2007, 01:55 PM
They better have enough money in the bank for a trip to Statesboro next fall. Our schedule is set!

mathman
December 1st, 2007, 02:01 PM
It doesn't help that they play on a high school football field in front of 75 fans. Football is a money pit for schools like Northeastern.
Like the story said, even Boston University dropped football. From what I've heard, Boston isn't a college football town. But for some reason, people in Boston really love college ice hockey.

Normally I'd say Northeastern should tough it out because of all the sports, football has the most impact. But with an average attendance of about 2,800, that would be mediocre even for basketball.

mathman
December 1st, 2007, 02:06 PM
They better have enough money in the bank for a trip to Statesboro next fall. Our schedule is set!
I assume it is a money game? :D

UMass922
December 1st, 2007, 02:09 PM
Like the story said, even Boston University dropped football. From what I've heard, Boston isn't a college football town. But for some reason, people in Boston really love college ice hockey.

Normally I'd say Northeastern should tough it out because of all the sports, football has the most impact. But with an average attendance of about 2,800, that would be mediocre even for basketball.

The fact is simply that in New England, football--college football especially--is a niche sport. It's hard for people in other regions to understand, but it's true. Everything else being equal, baseball, basketball, and even hockey do matter to more to Boston / New England sports fans. BC football is all well and good (Harvard too), but beyond that, there's just not much interest. It's no suprise to me at all that nobody cares about FCS football in Boston.

UMass922
December 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM

How? That would just give us eight Southern CAA teams (including Villanova) and five Northern teams. Someone's still going to have to switch divisions, and Villanova's still going to make the most sense geographically.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 1st, 2007, 02:19 PM
The fact is simply that in New England, football--college football especially--is a niche sport. It's hard for people in other regions to understand, but it's true. Everything else being equal, baseball, basketball, and even hockey do matter to more to Boston / New England sports fans. BC football is all well and good (Harvard too), but beyond that, there's just not much interest. It's no suprise to me at all that nobody cares about FCS football in Boston.

To prove that just look at today's Boston Globe

mathman
December 1st, 2007, 03:27 PM
How? That would just give us eight Southern CAA teams (including Villanova) and five Northern teams. Someone's still going to have to switch divisions, and Villanova's still going to make the most sense geographically.
I thought the problem was separating Villanova and Delaware in different divisions. They can both go north and ODU and GSU are in the south.

appfan2008
December 1st, 2007, 03:38 PM

that would be funny if they couldnt make their trip and you had to find another team...

crimsonfootball
December 1st, 2007, 03:49 PM
hmmm, I couldnt give two hoots about Northeastern , lol.......

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 1st, 2007, 03:51 PM
hmmm, I couldnt give two hoots about Northeastern , lol.......

I meant playoff eligible teams in NE:p

crimsonfootball
December 1st, 2007, 03:53 PM

Hey pal, we have 15,000 at Harvard, and we are the real Boston team ( ok we play in cambridge, but the eagles play in Chestnut Hill)

Boston is very much a College Football City xthumbsupx

TwinTownBisonFan
December 1st, 2007, 04:29 PM
This is just one outsiders view, but I would think that it comes down to the number of options for sports fans in Mass. With 4 major league teams, a BCS school in BC, an FCS school in UMass, an Ivy (for those who like such things), and college hockey... that's a lot for Northeastern to compete against.

Added to that, their stadium, their conference, and their recruiting challenges... it might be a logical move to end the program. I never like to see a program end, but worse still is a program that is walking wounded.

DFW HOYA
December 1st, 2007, 04:32 PM
This is just one outsiders view, but I would think that it comes down to the number of options for sports fans in Mass. With 4 major league teams, a BCS school in BC, an FCS school in UMass, an Ivy (for those who like such things), and college hockey... that's a lot for Northeastern to compete against.

That's a weak excuse for any school. Look what Fordham competes among and they did just fine, thank you.

TwinTownBisonFan
December 1st, 2007, 04:37 PM
True, but the Rams also have a significant tradition. Your point however is well taken. I suspect then that facilities and conference are the likely culprit.

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM

Grapevine indicates that the department miscalculated by a cool $1 million on travel budget, ....

UNHWildCats
December 1st, 2007, 04:48 PM

Boston College gets most of the attention cause their FBS. Im sure Harvard gets its share as well, that doesnt leave much room for others

UNHWildCats
December 1st, 2007, 04:50 PM

Added to that, their stadium, their conference, and their recruiting challenges... it might be a logical move to end the program. I never like to see a program end, but worse still is a program that is walking wounded.
Umass is way out in Amherst, I doubt they have much impact in Boston.

mathman
December 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM
Hey pal, we have 15,000 at Harvard, and we are the real Boston team ( ok we play in cambridge, but the eagles play in Chestnut Hill)

Whoa! Boston must have gone football insane! :D But really, maybe it's better this year, but even Boston College's attendance numbers have been below what is the norm for the ACC.

Seeing that Harvard's attendance numbers are similar to Georgia Southern's, maybe Harvard should make the jump to FBS? Just make sure you play Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame, and Temple.

Leopard Loyalist
December 1st, 2007, 04:58 PM

Actually you play in Boston--Harvard Stadium is in Allston.

MplsBison
December 1st, 2007, 05:03 PM
That's a weak excuse for any school. Look what Fordham competes among and they did just fine, thank you.

He wasn't talking about competitiveness.

NE has been a pretty good team.

Cobblestone
December 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM

True. BC football drew SOME interest when they were in the # 2 spot for a time. But even that interest wasn't what it should have been. BC is only one of two FCS programs in the entire New England region; kind of says it all. Sadly, college football isn't big in this part of the country. I wish Northeastern the best; never good when any FCS school drops football. Hang in there Northeastern.

ccd494
December 1st, 2007, 07:25 PM

Northeastern is not dropping hockey. They get more exposure in Boston from the Beanpot and occasional appearances in the Hockey East tournament at the Garden than they do from any football game they'd ever play.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 1st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Northeastern is not dropping hockey. They get more exposure in Boston from the Beanpot and occasional appearances in the Hockey East tournament at the Garden than they do from any football game they'd ever play.

Boston Glode today had about a page and a half on Hockey East.
Regular season hockey.

One small thing on the UMass game.

mainejeff
December 1st, 2007, 07:44 PM

I'm not so sure about that. That's 60 more scholarship players available to Maine, UNH, UMass, and URI....all of whom compete for many of the same recruits. As long as those schools are playing an 8 game league schedule.....who cares who they play? I certainly wouldn't miss Parsons, but I do feel for Northeastern fans.

From a business point of view, I do think that it is wise in the long run for Northeastern to concentrate its resources on its hoops and hockey programs.

mainejeff
December 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM

Sad thing is we all knew that. Hopefully, getting those extra students from Virginia was worth it.

mainejeff
December 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM

That would be my guess.

mainejeff
December 1st, 2007, 07:47 PM
Would UD schedule a home and home with 'Nova if they didn't have to? After the discussions about losing money in a DSU home and home (which I agree with), I would think they'd almost lose as much money going to 'Nova if they didn't have to. But, maybe it would be different since its an established rivalry.

So who would you send to the North Division.....JMU? xcoolx

mainejeff
December 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM

Georgia State to the NORTH?....xlolx xlolx xlolx

Enough with the programs that don't exist yet.........

Zoo
December 1st, 2007, 07:49 PM
It's always bad to see a program drop football, not good for the FCS at all.

mainejeff
December 1st, 2007, 07:51 PM
Grapevine indicates that the department miscalculated by a cool $1 million on travel budget, ....

Louisiana, North Dakota, California.....who made these scheduling decisions????.......Montana? xeyebrowx

Seawolf97
December 1st, 2007, 07:52 PM
It is bad for FCS and for the CAA. Question is are they going the route of St Peters and announce in the spring or wait until after the 2008 season?xsmhx

mainejeff
December 1st, 2007, 07:56 PM
While it is sad to see Northeastern football go the way of the dinosaur......remember that we have some new programs popping up that are much better positioned for longterm success......North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Coastal Carolina, Albany, Stony Brook and Central Connecticut to name a few. xnodx

DFW HOYA
December 1st, 2007, 08:06 PM
I'm not so sure about that. That's 60 more scholarship players available to Maine, UNH, UMass, and URI....all of whom compete for many of the same recruits. As long as those schools are playing an 8 game league schedule.....who cares who they play?

Ask not for whom the bell tolls..the same issues that applied to BU in 1997 and are being asked at NU today could someday be asked at URI (average attendance: 3,436) and even Maine (average=5,489). URI is drawing only 600 more a game than Northeastern and was outdrawn by a Division II school in Bryant (average=3,935) which is now adding 30 scholarships in anticipation of joining the NEC.

The future of the CAA remains southward, and new teams like Old Dominion and Georgia State will continue to put pressure on New England teams to stay competitive and to draw attendance numbers in facilities that trail its conference members to the south.

mainejeff
December 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM
Ask not for whom the bell tolls..the same issues that applied to BU in 1997 and are being asked at NU today could someday be asked at URI (average attendance: 3,436) and even Maine (average=5,489). URI is drawing only 600 more a game than Northeastern and was outdrawn by a Division II school in Bryant (average=3,935) which is now adding 30 scholarships in anticipation of joining the NEC.

The future of the CAA remains southward, and new teams like Old Dominion and Georgia State will continue to put pressure on New England teams to stay competitive and to draw attendance numbers in facilities that trail its conference members to the south.

I don't agree, although URI has been walking a tightrope......the difference with those schools is that they are STATE schools and are currently the only D-1 football programs in their respective states (although I guess that Bryant in RI will be moving to D-1).

Maine has 1.2 million people and a fairly large pool of high school football programs. Although there isn't a ton of D-1 talent, I seriously doubt that Maine would consider dropping their program entirely. I do agree that changes could be on the way as far as conferences go. We've discussed the possiblities before so I won't regurgitate.

crimsonfootball
December 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
I don't agree, although URI has been walking a tightrope......the difference with those schools is that they are STATE schools and are currently the only D-1 football programs in their respective states (although I guess that Bryant in RI will be moving to D-1).
Maine has 1.2 million people and a fairly large pool of high school football programs. Although there isn't a ton of D-1 talent, I seriously doubt that Maine would consider dropping their program entirely. I do agree that changes could be on the way as far as conferences go. We've discussed the possiblities before so I won't regurgitate.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, ever heard of a school called BROWN!!!!!! looooooooooooool xlolx

aceinthehole
December 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
I'm not so sure about that. That's 60 more scholarship players available to Maine, UNH, UMass, and URI....all of whom compete for many of the same recruits. As long as those schools are playing an 8 game league schedule.....who cares who they play? I certainly wouldn't miss Parsons, but I do feel for Northeastern fans.

From a business point of view, I do think that it is wise in the long run for Northeastern to concentrate its resources on its hoops and hockey programs.

MJ - I kinda agree with you here.

Listen, I wish NU well and I hope they don't drop the team, but IMO this might help other New England/NY programs in terms of talent.

art vandelay
December 1st, 2007, 10:37 PM
this may be a big pipe dream but i do know the University of Vermont is begining a football club and gained some interest this year in the state. if they could get going i think they would be an excelent canidate for that northern hole that would be left from NU leaving. not to mention a big boost for UVM. the problem will be financial.

TwinTownBisonFan
December 1st, 2007, 10:43 PM
the NDSU/Northeastern game is almost certainly in place because of the relationship between Rocky Hager and SU (he used to coach there)

UMass922
December 1st, 2007, 10:49 PM
I thought the problem was separating Villanova and Delaware in different divisions. They can both go north and ODU and GSU are in the south.

Okay, I see what you mean. That makes sense, then.

lambertjr
December 1st, 2007, 10:56 PM
Uh-oh. Northeastern is "reviewing" it's athletic programs including football

Story here (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view.bg?articleid=1048172).

I think those are always the opening statements when school are getting ready to shut down teams.

ccd494
December 1st, 2007, 11:07 PM
this may be a big pipe dream but i do know the University of Vermont is begining a football club and gained some interest this year in the state. if they could get going i think they would be an excelent canidate for that northern hole that would be left from NU leaving. not to mention a big boost for UVM. the problem will be financial.

So what does UMaine having a team in that league with UVM mean? That Maine is going to start a second D-I team?

Clubs mean nothing.

whitey
December 1st, 2007, 11:08 PM
Just thinking way outside the box here: Would it be possible that the CAA sends both Richmond and Villanova to the North, while moving Hofstra to the South? That way they keep the "All Sports" teams in the "South" and the rest in the "North"?

North: UMASS, UNH, Richmond, Nova, Maine, URI
South: Delaware, JMU, Hofstra, Towson, W&M, ODU

SuperEagle
December 1st, 2007, 11:09 PM
that would be funny if they couldnt make their trip and you had to find another team...
not funny at all. It's tough enough trying to fill out our schedule. But to try and find a FCS team that is willing to come to Statesboro this late would be very tough. We would probably get stuck playing a DII and penalized later for it. Not good. I hope this doesn't happen to NorthEastern.

mainejeff
December 1st, 2007, 11:11 PM
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, ever heard of a school called BROWN!!!!!! looooooooooooool xlolx

Ivies don't count. ;)

Seriously, the Ivies sign very few recruits from their respective locales.

mainejeff
December 1st, 2007, 11:14 PM
So what does UMaine having a team in that league with UVM mean? That Maine is going to start a second D-I team?

Clubs mean nothing.

They mean something when a club team is all you've got. There does seem to be a slight uptick in interest for football at Vermont......

downbythebeach
December 1st, 2007, 11:38 PM
Castleton State in Vermont has just announced getting a team in DIII

Not that I've ever heard of them.....?

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Just thinking way outside the box here: Would it be possible that the CAA sends both Richmond and Villanova to the North, while moving Hofstra to the South? That way they keep the "All Sports" teams in the "South" and the rest in the "North"?

Your plan is to move Richmond to the North?

Wait 'till Citdog gets a hold of this one.

Minuteman87
December 2nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
Well, we can now basically count on NU sucking because not many top echelon recruits are going to want to come to a school that may cut football. The school has to either fish or cut bait. All the hemming and hawing just assures mediocrity.

The irony is that didn't NU join the CAA to raise the profile of their athletics? I remember that they wanted to be in a conference with a bigger geographical footprint, unlike America East, which is basically a New England and New York league. Cutting football would appear to go counter to that goal.

And btw, Harvard and Boston College BOTH play their football games within the Boston city limits even though there main campuses are in Cambridge and Newton respectively. There is no such town as Chestnut Hill. It's just a place where snobs say they live when they don't want to admit they live in Newton or Brookline. That concludes today's geography lesson.

Hofstra76
December 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
While it is sad to see Northeastern football go the way of the dinosaur......remember that we have some new programs popping up that are much better positioned for longterm success......North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Coastal Carolina, Albany, Stony Brook and Central Connecticut to name a few. xnodx

The common denominator in all the schools you mention is that they are all state universities. It's a lot more difficult for a private university to maintain a full scholarship football team. Only the very heavily endowed private schools like the Ivies can afford the kind of money it requires to play at a high level. That's why most of the top FCS teams are state schools.

DFW HOYA
December 2nd, 2007, 09:00 AM
That's why most of the top FCS teams are state schools.

Most of the top teams are state schools because most of the subdivision is. There are only 44 private schools out of 121 teams, and 25 of the 44 play in conferences which are de facto playoff ineligible.

art vandelay
December 2nd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Castleton State in Vermont has just announced getting a team in DIII

Not that I've ever heard of them.....?

yes Castleton is starting football. I think Vermont is begining to gain interest in football. i do think that UVM football is a posibility.The problem is that it will take some time before the program can get scholarships and such.

Hofstra76
December 2nd, 2007, 09:22 AM
Most of the top teams are state schools because most of the subdivision is. There are only 44 private schools out of 121 teams, and 25 of the 44 play in conferences which are de facto playoff ineligible.

That's exactly my point. Most private schools can't or won't make the financial commitment to play full scholarship FCS football to compete at the highest level. How many of those 44 private universities have the full 63 scholarships?

TheValleyRaider
December 2nd, 2007, 09:53 AM

This kind of thing could only pave the way for split conferences, with the "North" division joining up with some upper-level NEC teams for the "America East"-type conference. And since we're continuing with a bit of a pipe-dream, that would leave Richmond free to join the now-scholarship Patriot League xnodx xchinscratchx

ccd494
December 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
Here's a thought though, with this Northeastern news, and Maine's president making statements about not being able to keep up with the Southern schools financially, any chance of a cost containment northeast league?

MplsBison
December 2nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
How can UNH keep up but Maine can't?

Both play top level DI hockey so don't even go there.

Maverick
December 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
I guess the UNH president wants them to keep up and Maine's president doesn't see it that way. But the reality of UNH's situation will be interesting to view in the post-Santos era. The backup QB looked good but that is nothing like playing a full season. If UNH goes back to the pre-Santos days, it may be a different story.

UNHWildCats
December 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
I guess the UNH president wants them to keep up and Maine's president doesn't see it that way. But the reality of UNH's situation will be interesting to view in the post-Santos era. The backup QB looked good but that is nothing like playing a full season. If UNH goes back to the pre-Santos days, it may be a different story.
Agreed, Santos' onfield sucess has changed the outlook for UNH, Toman needs to be a leader and continue that, if UNH can maintain its success, the recruiting will continue to be good, if he cant keep the team winning, the recruiting will suffer.

I can see UNH atleast matching its 7-4 record this season, and would be dissapointed if they didnt improve on it.

They dont have Delaware, Richmond or James Madison for the next 2 years, so that should help, but William & Mary seems to always give UNH fits.

whitey
December 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
This kind of thing could only pave the way for split conferences, with the "North" division joining up with some upper-level NEC teams for the "America East"-type conference. And since we're continuing with a bit of a pipe-dream, that would leave Richmond free to join the now-scholarship Patriot League xnodx xchinscratchx

Yep, although unlikely in my opinion, that is where I was going with that.

dbackjon
December 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
They dont have Delaware, Richmond or James Madison for the next 2 years, so that should help, but William & Mary seems to always give UNH fits.

you mean the weak UNH schedule will be even WEAKER next year? Might as well just play a full PFL schedule...:p

ccd494
December 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM

No one ever said there was a big disparity between Maine and UNH money wise. Both are losing boatloads on football.

And D-I hockey is not an issue- both UNH and Maine are making money on hockey.

blukeys
December 2nd, 2007, 03:17 PM
you mean the weak UNH schedule will be even WEAKER next year? Might as well just play a full PFL schedule...:p

I can't believe someone from the patheticly weak Big Sky would complain about an 11 game schedule that included a FBS team and 4 ranked FCS teams. 2 of UNH's opponents are in the semi's VS. one of your opponent's.

By the way how many of your conference mates are still playing???? My Bad, Sorry all of you guys are home watching. xnodx xnodx

Seawolf97
December 2nd, 2007, 03:19 PM

I hope this is just talk and Northeastern continues to maintain their program at the high level they have been. We as FCS have already lost St. Peters and Lasalle this year and Iona and Marist will probably scramble in 2008 as independents which is difficult at best. Add to that the rumblings up in Maine-maybe re organizing a conference or two isnt as bad as it sounds. If it can cut travel costs, give everyone a good OOC schedule and be a competitive conference then why not. The alternative might be more schools reviewing their programs in 2008 or 2009.

santosballnewhampshire
December 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM

Weak schedule, are you serious?

MplsBison
December 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
No one ever said there was a big disparity between Maine and UNH money wise. Both are losing boatloads on football.

And D-I hockey is not an issue- both UNH and Maine are making money on hockey.

So you're saying it's time for NH and Maine to go the way of Vermont?

DFW HOYA
December 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
I think what is necessary is to get Northeastern to hang on one more season while America East gets together a football schedule for 2009.

AE in 2009 (7): Maine, UNH, URI, Northeastern, Albany, Stony Brook, Central Connecticut

CAA in 2009 (9): UMass, Hofstra, Villanova, Delaware, Towson, JMU, W&M, Richmond, Old Dominion.

MplsBison
December 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
How about replacing NE in the AE with a Vermont start up team and perhaps Bryant?

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
How about UNH staying right where it is?

Seawolf97
December 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
How about replacing NE in the AE with a Vermont start up team and perhaps Bryant?

Vermont is still at the club level and is years from scholarship D1 football. Bryant is moving up from the non scholarship D2 ranks and while they are a good D2 team they are a quite a few years from full scholarship D1 football. Both are good choices though and could be good candidates down the road.

Seawolf97
December 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
How about UNH staying right where it is?

Im not the voice of doom by a long shot-but if Northeastern folds their tent and maybe Maine or URI start reviewing their programs in the future .Then its UNH and UMass as the CAA North . So where you are today could be precarious tomorrow. It would be better to bring everyone along into a new conference at some future date.

WrenFGun
December 2nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
I agree that the conferences should be realigned...the CAA should go there own way with their CAA mates. If Northeastern folds up football, then you'll have Delaware, James Madison, Towson, Hofstra, Old Dominion, William & Mary and Georgia State. I think you could probably throw Richmond in there, too, since their from Virginia. Not much travel for any of those teams to play each other.

The "America East/NEC" should be UNH, UMass, UMaine, URI, Albany, CCSU, Villanova, Stony Brook. Not much travel for either.

Hofstra76
December 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Im not the voice of doom by a long shot-but if Northeastern folds their tent and maybe Maine or URI start reviewing their programs in the future .Then its UNH and UMass as the CAA North . So where you are today could be precarious tomorrow. It would be better to bring everyone along into a new conference at some future date.

Aren't you forgetting someone. I know SBU would love Hofstra's place in the CAA but not so fast. And joining the Big South was a great move for your football program xeyebrowx.

MplsBison
December 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
The "America East/NEC" should be UNH, UMass, UMaine, URI, Albany, CCSU, Villanova, Stony Brook. Not much travel for either.

Villanova would probably want to stay with Delaware.

But you could put Bryant and a Vermont start up in there. This would probably be 5-10 years down the line anyway.

UNHWildCats
December 2nd, 2007, 05:31 PM
UNH had one of the toughest schedules in the country in 2007 xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx

UNHWildCats
December 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
I think what is necessary is to get Northeastern to hang on one more season while America East gets together a football schedule for 2009.

AE in 2009 (7): Maine, UNH, URI, Northeastern, Albany, Stony Brook, Central Connecticut

CAA in 2009 (9): UMass, Hofstra, Villanova, Delaware, Towson, JMU, W&M, Richmond, Old Dominion.
I dont think UNH will leave the CAA for a AE conference that consists of those teams, if UMass goes, UNH prolly will, but not with just those teams u have there.

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2007, 05:37 PM
It's always bad to see a program drop football, not good for the FCS at all.

Agreed.

mainejeff
December 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM

Get back to me after next season.

mainejeff
December 2nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
Villanova would probably want to stay with Delaware.

But you could put Bryant and a Vermont start up in there. This would probably be 5-10 years down the line anyway.

What is with this whole Delaware/Villanova joined-at-the-hip thing? Villanova will not make future decisions based on one conference rival and one game per year (their name is not Drexel xrolleyesx ). If Villanova felt that it benefited them to be aligned with a conference with New England and New York teams then it would......or they may feel that the Delaware/Maryland/Virginia area is better for them. A decision WON'T be made based solely on their rivalry with Delaware. They can always schedule a non-conference game with them no matter what conference they are in.

UNHFan99
December 2nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
I think Albany and Stony Brook are going to be strong programs within 5 years. Albany has alot of money to spend on sports and Stony Brook has the location to steal alot of recruits from CAA schools if they were to ever join the league. I think alot of recruits would go to Stony Brook or Albany if they were in the CAA over Rhody or Maine. As long as UNH continues to win they will get recruits, but I think alot of the posters are not considering Albany and Rhody as potentially serious programs. When I chose UNH as a school. I went there because they played in the A10. I signed with the league as much as a I signed with the school.

Seawolf97
December 2nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
Aren't you forgetting someone. I know SBU would love Hofstra's place in the CAA but not so fast. And joining the Big South was a great move for your football program xeyebrowx.

I dont know if we are ready to steal anyone's spot just yet. All things being equal we could probably be a good CAA caliber team by 2010 but not sooner. Its isnt so much about replacing Hofstra in the CAA as it is about a possible re alignment of teams in the Northeast. Personally I would love to be in the same conference with Hofstra. We compete now against each other in all sports anyway and we win some and Hofstra wins some. It could be a good local rivalry in football.
As for the Big South it gives us a chance to move up to full scholarship football in a full scholarship conference. We were limited in the NEC and staying an independent was probably a scheduling nightmare. So 2008 should be interesting.

Seawolf97
December 2nd, 2007, 08:08 PM
I think Albany and Stony Brook are going to be strong programs within 5 years. Albany has alot of money to spend on sports and Stony Brook has the location to steal alot of recruits from CAA schools if they were to ever join the league. I think alot of recruits would go to Stony Brook or Albany if they were in the CAA over Rhody or Maine. As long as UNH continues to win they will get recruits, but I think alot of the posters are not considering Albany and Rhody as potentially serious programs. When I chose UNH as a school. I went there because they played in the A10. I signed with the league as much as a I signed with the school.

I think Albany and Rhode Island are serious. If and when Albany goes to scholarship football beyond the 30 limit of the NEC watch out. Just look and their hoops program and at their ranked lacrosse team last year both are full scholarship programs. Albany football could be a top 10 contender easily. Hopefully when URI gets their new coach and things settle down they will improve as I expect Maine will.

ccd494
December 2nd, 2007, 08:29 PM
I dont think UNH will leave the CAA for a AE conference that consists of those teams, if UMass goes, UNH prolly will, but not with just those teams u have there.

Would UNH have a choice? If NU sticks around, and Georgia State adds football along with ODU, would the CAA really go to 14? Would they just boot Maine and URI unilaterally? Or would they invite all the affiliates to explore other opportunities? How do they pick which teams to boot if they have to? URI seems like its a cut below, but in the last 10 years, UNH and Maine have both had their separate yet relatively equal runs of success.

mainejeff
December 2nd, 2007, 08:41 PM
I think alot of recruits would go to Stony Brook or Albany if they were in the CAA over Rhody or Maine.

or UNH.......

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
And while all this stuff is going on, the Patriot League continues to wait. I hope we get Richmond like some speculate, but I think it is a very long shot. Maybe Northeastern should call PL Commissioner Carolyn Femovich....

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
Here's a thought though, with this Northeastern news, and Maine's president making statements about not being able to keep up with the Southern schools financially, any chance of a cost containment northeast league?

I believe a modern-day "Yankee Conference" would have some traction and would permit cost containment from a travel standpoint.

mainejeff
December 2nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Yes, it would make perfect sense for a "cost containment league" as the Patriot and NEC ramp up on scholarships.....xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Gimme a break. There is not going to be a "cost containment league". If URI, Maine, or others can't afford it (or want to pay for it) then they should drop the sport. I still think that America East Football is on its way. Who knows who it will include though......xconfusedx

aceinthehole
December 2nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Here's a few of my assumpions on how this conference stuff amy pan out.

1) Full CAA members are NOT playing football outside of the CAA. So if NU keeps football it will be in the CAA not the AE/New Yankee.

2) In most scenarios UMass, URI, UNH, and Maine allo will move as a group. If UMass goes I-A, the 3 others won't follow, but UNH won't leave the CAA if UMass stays.

3) Nova/Richmond may not stay in the CAA becasue of Delaware alone, but they probably will not want to join New England/New York public schools as FB-only affiliate. As much as VU is linked to UD, I think they want to stay with W&M, Richmond, JMU, Hofstra, etc.

4) Hofstra/NU do NOT leave the CAA and return to the AE as full members. (Also, see assumption #1).

5) Albany and CCSU only leave the NEC-football for an AQ conference. Albany does not go Indy, but of course woulkd join the CAA if the opportunity arises. UA does not go to the Big South unless they get the AQ, the NEC does not, and there is no chance at a AE/New Yanke conference on the horizon. CCSU only steps up to 63 schollys if they are offered a spot in an AQ conference.

Possibly a AE/New Yankee conference form with the following members?

UMass
URI
UNH
Maine
Albany
SBU
CCSU
Monmouth

TheValleyRaider
December 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
And while all this stuff is going on, the Patriot League continues to wait. I hope we get Richmond like some speculate, but I think it is a very long shot. Maybe Northeastern should call PL Commissioner Carolyn Femovich....

But what should we do instead? I agree that the League should be actively looking to expand, but who is out there that's such a perfect fit for us right now that we should just jump all over?

mainejeff
December 3rd, 2007, 12:21 AM
Possibly a AE/New Yankee conference form with the following members?

UMass
URI
UNH
Maine
Albany
SBU
CCSU
Monmouth

I think that is pretty much the scenario right now.

This will be controversial, but after Northeastern I actually think that Hofstra may be the next one to drop football. Just a gut feeling, but if they ever get an A-10 invite.....bank on it.

Hofstra76
December 3rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
I dont know if we are ready to steal anyone's spot just yet. All things being equal we could probably be a good CAA caliber team by 2010 but not sooner. Its isnt so much about replacing Hofstra in the CAA as it is about a possible re alignment of teams in the Northeast. Personally I would love to be in the same conference with Hofstra. We compete now against each other in all sports anyway and we win some and Hofstra wins some. It could be a good local rivalry in football.
As for the Big South it gives us a chance to move up to full scholarship football in a full scholarship conference. We were limited in the NEC and staying an independent was probably a scheduling nightmare. So 2008 should be interesting.

I just thought it was interesting that you somehow did not include Hofstra when you listed the CAA North teams. Maybe a Freudian slip. I'm a Hofstra grad who happens to live in Stony Brook and have been to many games at LaValle (a great stadium for it's size). There's no doubt that the SBU program is headed in the right direction but it is definitely not a CAA caliber program at this point. If you think being an independent would be a nightmare wait until you're a New York team playing in an all southern conference.

AZGrizFan
December 3rd, 2007, 11:17 AM

I just can't comprehend that. xeekx

DFW HOYA
December 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
But what should we do instead? I agree that the League should be actively looking to expand, but who is out there that's such a perfect fit for us right now that we should just jump all over?

Was Towson the perfect fit? American? Georgetown?

The PL keeps looking for that rural Northeastern Division I liberal arts college with a proud football history but whose expectations have been throttled back in order for the faculty to sit at a table behind the Ivy League. These schools aren't out there anymore.

If the PL put a plan together and laid it out, you would then have an idea of what schools fit. If it's a major I-AA/FCS conference model they want, move quickly on VMI, UR and Villanova, and make an offer for W&M and URI in a divisional setup. If it's status quo, then accept the potential loss of the autobid once the NEC ramps things up. If the Fr. Brooks faction demands a cross between the Pioneer and the NESCAC, it's Marist and Iona.

So will it take a $4 million program at Fordham walking in a couple of years before the PL realizes that there is a issue here? Not making a decision is a decision.

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2007, 12:40 PM

The PL keeps looking for that rural Northeastern Division I liberal arts college with a proud football history but whose expectations have been throttled back in order for the faculty to sit at a table behind the Ivy League. These schools aren't out there anymore.

If the PL put a plan together and laid it out, you would then have an idea of what schools fit. If it's a major I-AA/FCS conference model they want, move quickly on VMI, UR and Villanova, and make an offer for W&M and URI in a divisional setup. If it's status quo, then accept the potential loss of the autobid once the NEC ramps things up. If the Fr. Brooks faction demands a cross between the Pioneer and the NESCAC, it's Marist and Iona.

So will it take a $4 million program at Fordham walking in a couple of years before the PL realizes that there is a issue here? Not making a decision is a decision.

You hit it right on the head.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 3rd, 2007, 12:55 PM

All true, but don't underestimate the fact that basketball is the driving force here. If a "CAA/Ivy" hybrid in football is what they were looking for, Richmond would be a Patriot League school today. I think their priorities lie elsewhere, unfortunately. Maybe due to the (failed) experiment with Towson and the academic headaches involving American the league hasn't been in a rush to innovate.

But the PL has put together a bar for inclusion: smallish, private, willing to be an all-sports member and play ball on the AI. The problem is these schools simply don't exist - probably because there are even more hoops for schools to jump through aside from these already restrictive requirements.

I mention this not because I'm making excuses for the PL leadership. I agree 1000% that the PL needs to expand, innovate, define itself in a new and different way - and do all of these things quickly. Their lack of interest in a Marist simply baffles me.

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
All true, but don't underestimate the fact that basketball is the driving force here. If a "CAA/Ivy" hybrid in football is what they were looking for, Richmond would be a Patriot League school today. I think their priorities lie elsewhere, unfortunately. Maybe due to the (failed) experiment with Towson and the academic headaches involving American the league hasn't been in a rush to innovate.

But the PL has put together a bar for inclusion: smallish, private, willing to be an all-sports member and play ball on the AI. The problem is these schools simply don't exist - probably because there are even more hoops for schools to jump through aside from these already restrictive requirements.

I mention this not because I'm making excuses for the PL leadership. I agree 1000% that the PL needs to expand, innovate, define itself in a new and different way - and do all of these things quickly. Their lack of interest in a Marist simply baffles me.

I thought these headaches were largely going away. Is there new stuff going on?

Hofstra76
December 3rd, 2007, 05:11 PM
I hate to say it but I see a time down the road when Hofstra would be lobbying for a spot in the Patriot League. This president inherited the full scholarship football program in the CAA from the previous administration and he is much more about building an academic reputation than athletics.

It's tough for any private university to fund full scholarship football which is why there are almost none doing it. With Hofstra now starting a medical school I can see the handwriting on the wall in terms of the financial commitment required by CAA athletics. I also think President Rabinowitz would like to see the association with schools like Bucknell, Lehigh and Colgate.

Hope I'm wrong and maybe the PL wouldn't consider it but I'm afraid that's where we might be headed down the road.

TheValleyRaider
December 3rd, 2007, 06:02 PM

Towson wasn't a good fit for either the League or the Tigers, but if people move simply for the sake of moving, another Towson is entirely possible

In my estimation, Georgetown is a great fit, and American circa 2000 equals Marist circa now

Richmond alumni threw a fit just a year or two ago when a rumor they were going Patriot League spread around. Until we get scholarships (which I support and believe will happen in the near future), Richmond isn't coming anywhere close to the PL. I can't believe Villanova would entertain the idea until Talley finally leaves (or possibly even dies)

VMI would be a fine addition, but are they really willing to leave the Big South, or is VMI to the Patriot League just idle message board wishing? Heck, Marist would be a fine admission, although I gotta think they'd need to show some real committment to financially improving their program

Exactly. Is there more flexibility needed? Yeah, but we really shouldn't just take someone for the sake of taking them

I can't say I'm overly surprised by it, although I disagree with it. I'd be in favor of adding Marist

I hate to say it but I see a time down the road when Hofstra would be lobbying for a spot in the Patriot League. This president inherited the full scholarship football program in the CAA from the previous administration and he is much more about building an academic reputation than athletics.

It's tough for any private university to fund full scholarship football which is why there are almost none doing it. With Hofstra now starting a medical school I can see the handwriting on the wall in terms of the financial commitment required by CAA athletics. I also think President Rabinowitz would like to see the association with schools like Bucknell, Lehigh and Colgate.

Hope I'm wrong and maybe the PL wouldn't consider it but I'm afraid that's where we might be headed down the road.

I'd also be willing to take Hofstra, although if it's all-sports members the PL is looking for, would Hofstra really leave the CAA?

Go...gate
December 3rd, 2007, 07:02 PM

We should have admitted you in 1993-94 when you first asked. Would much rather have Hofstra than Marist. As to Towson, every PL fan should give them a shout-out because they helped keep the league alive in the late 1990's and early 2000's. They will always have my appreciation. xthumbsupx

colorless raider
December 4th, 2007, 09:00 AM
You hit it right on the head.

The PL commissioner is clueless.

Ken_Z
December 4th, 2007, 03:11 PM
1) i don't think it is fair to blame the commish. even if clueless, the school presidents are the ones responsible for determining the direction of the league.

2) some of you seem to be catching on, the key is a clearly articulated philiosophy and direction for the future. the academicians don't seem to be able to reach a consensus and are not accustomed to functioning in a world where you need to make decisions without it. i was initially encouraged by several of our new presidents, but am getting a bit impatient now.

3) once the philosophy is established and articulated, the league can and will aggresively pursue appropriate membership. get over the fact that the perfect fit doesn't exist. determine who fits the philosophy and objectives best and go get them.

question: why do people prefer Hofstra over Marist?

danefan
December 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM
question: why do people prefer Hofstra over Marist?

I was wondering the same thing. Marist v. Hofstra in academics, Marist seems to have the edge. Sports it would probably be even as Marist has a pretty good overall program.

Go...gate
December 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Hofstra is stronger financially. Marist's endowment is $20 million, while I understand that Hofstra's is moderately larger. Any of our Hofstra posters have your development numbers as of 2006-07?

danefan
December 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Hofstra's endowment was $175mm in May of 2006.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/14/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/14libiz.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Organizations/S/State%20University%20of%20New%20York&pagewanted=print (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/14/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/14libiz.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Organizations/S/State%20University%20of%20New%20York&pagewanted=print)

Much larger than I would have thought.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Real interesting numbers about the endowments. I wonder if that's one of the "hoops" that a future PL school would have to jump through? And I wonder if that's the big hangup about Marist?

Hofstra76
December 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM
...Sports it would probably be even as Marist has a pretty good overall program.

You're kidding, right? Hofstra has nationally ranked teams in football, womens soccer, mens soccer (last year), wrestling, lacrosse and softball and a basketball team that has been to the post season three years in a row. And Marist has what?

danefan
December 4th, 2007, 05:39 PM
You're kidding, right? Hofstra has nationally ranked teams in football, womens soccer, mens soccer (last year), wrestling, lacrosse and softball and a basketball team that has been to the post season three years in a row. And Marist has what?

Easy killer. No offense. Hofstra has done well too. What I meant to confer was that I'm not so sure Hofstra's athletic prowess is that much greater of a draw for PL when compared to Marist. Even if Hofstra has a better athletic program, I don't think academically they match-up to Marist (at least in academic reputation) so its pretty much a wash IMO which is worth nothing.

Go...gate
December 4th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Marist and Hofstra both have fine campuses within which a lot of new construction is located. However, Hofstra's greater endowment ensures, among other things, that those buildings will always be in pretty good shape (not to mention heated in the winters). A strong endowment is essential these days.

DFW HOYA
December 4th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Hofstra's endowment was $175mm in May of 2006. Much larger than I would have thought.

Unviersity endowments generally have little or no impact on funding college football. Ask Northeastern, with their $700 million endowment.

Hofstra76
December 4th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Easy killer. No offense. Hofstra has done well too. What I meant to confer was that I'm not so sure Hofstra's athletic prowess is that much greater of a draw for PL when compared to Marist. Even if Hofstra has a better athletic program, I don't think academically they match-up to Marist (at least in academic reputation) so its pretty much a wash IMO which is worth nothing.

The two schools are much closer academically than they are athletically, although I don't believe that Marist has a law school or is launching a medical school.

Believe me, I don't want see Hofstra in the Patriot League. I would much rather compete athletically on a national level in the CAA. But it's a tough thing to do for private universities so who know where things will end up.

rfeng
December 4th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Using Google Earth or some other program you can see that Northeastern's football stadium is not located on campus nor is there easy road access. Most students don't even know where the stadium is located. I hope they decide to downsize instead of dropping their program.

Cobblestone
December 5th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Using Google Earth or some other program you can see that Northeastern's football stadium is not located on campus nor is there easy road access. Most students don't even know where the stadium is located. I hope they decide to downsize instead of dropping their program.

Parsons Field is in one weird location. You've got a kids playground next to it and a house across the street from one of the end zones. If you've got a good field goal kicker the ball could end up in the guy's front yard.

Blue Hen Nation
December 5th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Oh oh, visions of BU all over again.

Dane96
December 5th, 2007, 07:56 AM

THere is EASY road access and it is one block off of TWO "T" stops. I used to live around the corner.

However, the real issue is it is NOT on campus- Getting college students out of bed is one thing. Getting them out of bed to get on a "T" to go to a Northeastern game at crappy Parsons is a WHOLE OTHER THING.

Husky Alum
December 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM

We have contacted the PL - when we were thinking of leaving the AE. We were told, TBNT. Apparently NU's past, and our size, don't make us an appealing option for the PL.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 5th, 2007, 08:40 AM
All these rumors and uncertianty have to be killing recruiting.

Husky Alum
December 5th, 2007, 08:44 AM
It doesn't help, but these rumors have been out there for a bunch of years.

It just got some media play since our AD commissioned a panel to evaluate the athletic department as a whole.

People drew the incorrect reference that "panel to evaluate athletic department = dropping football".

Ivytalk
December 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM
I certainly hope that NU keeps its FB program alive. That series with Harvard a few years back was a good "neighborhood rivalry."xnodx xpeacex

Lehigh Football Nation
December 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM
We have contacted the PL - when we were thinking of leaving the AE. We were told, TBNT. Apparently NU's past, and our size, don't make us an appealing option for the PL.

xeyebrowx

Do you think this is still the case? Thinking of basketball now, N'Eastern could very well be on the PL's radar screen these days... and I'm not kidding, either.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 5th, 2007, 08:57 AM
It doesn't help, but these rumors have been out there for a bunch of years.

It just got some media play since our AD commissioned a panel to evaluate the athletic department as a whole.

People drew the incorrect reference that "panel to evaluate athletic department = dropping football".

Would NU ever think of joining America East?
It seems to hold more natural rivals. As well as much easer traveling.

I could be wrong here but don't you guys really hate BU?

danefan
December 5th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Would NU ever think of joining America East?
It seems to hold more natural rivals. As well as much easer traveling.

I could be wrong here but don't you guys really hate BU?

Northeastern was in the AEast until 2005.
Not sure the AEast would take NU back....maybe some sour grapes there.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Northeastern was in the AEast until 2005.
Not sure the AEast would take NU back....maybe some sour grapes there.

If AE ever wants football they may have to forgive and forget.

Not until NU says they're sorry, were wrong, and will never do it again of course.xnodx

danefan
December 5th, 2007, 09:23 AM
If AE ever wants football they may have to forgive and forget.

Not until NU says they're sorry, were wrong, and will never do it again of course.xnodx

I agree. I wouldn't mind NE back in the America East. It would solve a lot of money problems for them with dramatically less travel costs.

AEast football would be nice with:

UNH
Maine
URI
Northeastern
Albany
Stony Brook
UMass
and maybe Central Conn.

If they can get Hofstra for football only (unlikely I know) I think it would be eligible for an AQ (6 teams having played together in a conference (CAA) for the past 2 years).

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I agree. I wouldn't mind NE back in the America East. It would solve a lot of money problems for them with dramatically less travel costs.

UNH
Maine
URI
Northeastern
Albany
Stony Brook
UMass
and maybe Central Conn.

If they can get Hofstra for football only (unlikely I know) I think it would be eligible for an AQ (6 teams having played together in a conference (CAA) for the past 2 years).

UMass is the key. I don't see UNH doing anything without UMass.
UMass isn't going to leave the CAA unless developments in the CAA force it's hand. In the 4-6 years with CAA members adding football and playoff expansion something has to give.

Your list looks accurate when that comes about.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Why does NU have to leave the CAA if it drops football? There are plenty of CAA schools that don't play football and probably won't for a very, very long time (VCU, Drexel, UNC-Wilmington, and George Mason) so it's not like it's uncommon. The basketball conference can certainly be bigger than the football conference - with 3x the number of games in basketball that's easily managed.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 5th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Why does NU have to leave the CAA if it drops football? There are plenty of CAA schools that don't play football and probably won't for a very, very long time (VCU, Drexel, UNC-Wilmington, and George Mason) so it's not like it's uncommon. The basketball conference can certainly be bigger than the football conference - with 3x the number of games in basketball that's easily managed.

Yes, but if the choose NOT to drop football competing in AE would keep expenses down for all other sports.

Cobblestone
December 5th, 2007, 10:49 AM

UNH
Maine
URI
Northeastern
Albany
Stony Brook
UMass
and maybe Central Conn.

I love the idea and it makes financial sense. The AQ issue is crucial though.

Tim James
December 5th, 2007, 10:57 AM
If NE drops football they might as well drop basketball too. Doesnt the b ball team play in a tiny 2,000 seat gym ? They couldnt even come close to filling Matthews Arena where the hockey team plays. I guess what Im saying is that while there may be little interest for football over there you could also say theres equal little interest in basketball.

danefan
December 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM

They don't, but I think the financial drain that NU sees is not just from football. Its from competing in the CAA for all-sports.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 11:14 AM
If NE drops football they might as well drop basketball too. Doesnt the b ball team play in a tiny 2,000 seat gym ? They couldnt even come close to filling Matthews Arena where the hockey team plays. I guess what Im saying is that while there may be little interest for football over there you could also say theres equal little interest in basketball.

No sense dropping men's basketball. Even with a tiny following you can have huge rewards from having a b-ball team - little wonder that there's like 350 D1 b-ball schools while only maybe 250 D1 football schools. It's relatively cheap to have a basketball team, and if you happen to make it into the dance, you can actually do something with the publicity. I don't see NU dropping basketball unless they just simply fold the school entirely.

89Hen
December 5th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Not that I want NU to drop football, but with ODU starting football, it actually would be a godsend for the conference if NU did drop. The CAA could keep them for all sports and we'd still have 12 once ODU was on board.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Not that I want NU to drop football, but with ODU starting football, it actually would be a godsend for the conference if NU did drop. The CAA could keep them for all sports and we'd still have 12 once ODU was on board.

Agreed, though if I was a betting man I would've thought Rhode Island would've been the one to go (no offense Cobblestone!!!)

Cobblestone
December 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Agreed, though if I was a betting man I would've thought Rhode Island would've been the one to go (no offense Cobblestone!!!)

None taken. I'd love for us to leave the CAA and go into either the AE (like Dane suggested) or NEC. I'm hoping with a new A.D. that this takes place. We haven't been competitive in the CAA or back in the A-10 days. And I am NOT picking on Stowers for that, neither he nor Floyd Keith could get us into the playoffs.

Husky Alum
December 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Why does NU have to leave the CAA if it drops football?

IF (and that's a big IF) NU terminates football, there are NO plans to voluntarily leave the CAA.

We love being in the CAA and will continue our conference affiliation with the CAA as long as we're allowed to.

89Hen is right. Conceptually a 12 team FB conference is easier than a 13 team conference, but I would hope that we're not the reason the CAA would go from 13 to 12.

GannonFan
December 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM
IF (and that's a big IF) NU terminates football, there are NO plans to voluntarily leave the CAA.

We love being in the CAA and will continue our conference affiliation with the CAA as long as we're allowed to.

89Hen is right. Conceptually a 12 team FB conference is easier than a 13 team conference, but I would hope that we're not the reason the CAA would go from 13 to 12.

No one's asking you to leave, either, football or no football. xthumbsupx

Tim James
December 5th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Why do you guys prefer to play mid atlantic schools instead of New England schools in your own backyard ? It cant be just because of recruting because why dont the other New England schools jump ship from the American East to go further south. You guys think youre better than UNH, BU, Hartford, UMaine or something ???

Dane96
December 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Oh boy, here we go.....

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 5th, 2007, 12:07 PM
xpopcornx

MplsBison
December 5th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Parsons Field is in one weird location. You've got a kids playground next to it and a house across the street from one of the end zones. If you've got a good field goal kicker the ball could end up in the guy's front yard.

Try doing a search for something like Northestern vs. UNH 2006.

There's this great picture of a house with a pad leaned up against it because it's literally like 20 feet from the back of the endzone. I think you can even see a pie cooling on the window sill.

They play their games in a neighborhood playground.

rfeng
December 6th, 2007, 11:18 PM

Instead of dropping football what about reducing your football expenses by joining the Northeast Conference as a football only member?
If the major issue is budgetary, travel expenses, then the America East would be the best choice followed by the A-10 and then the CAA.

4 of the 5 remaining teams in the CAA-north are football only members, Maine, Mass, NH, RI. Due to their inferior facilities, most if not all will be leaving the CAA when they find out that they can no longer compete. Facilities are becoming a priority when athletes consider and select colleges. This includes UMass whose facilities are in very poor shape. There doesn't seem to be any motivation (funding) at UMass to upgrade them.

BLHENherbie
December 7th, 2007, 10:48 AM
What's the latest?

danefan
December 7th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Instead of dropping football what about reducing your football expenses by joining the Northeast Conference as a football only member?
If the major issue is budgetary, travel expenses, then the America East would be the best choice followed by the A-10 and then the CAA.

4 of the 5 remaining teams in the CAA-north are football only members, Maine, Mass, NH, RI. Due to their inferior facilities, most if not all will be leaving the CAA when they find out that they can no longer compete. Facilities are becoming a priority when athletes consider and select colleges. This includes UMass whose facilities are in very poor shape. There doesn't seem to be any motivation (funding) at UMass to upgrade them.

It actually makes sense for Northeastern to be in the NEC, being a private school and all you would think its a better fit. Especially if NEC gets an auto-bid. It makes the conference more attractive for other CAA North schools (Rhode Island, Maine, etc..) You can fund half the scholarships and have a better chance at being in the playoffs. Of course, in the long run you'll be less competitive nationally, but are those schools realling competing nationally right now anyway?

I'm sure Albany would jump at the chance to "trade" with Northeastern. We'll take the full CAA spot and NE can have our AEast and NEC affiliate spot.xthumbsupx

AggieFinn
December 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I was looking forward to a trip to Boston next Fall...maybe double down on a Pats or Red Sox game if I'm lucky.

Any new news?

NU Hound29
December 7th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Not a heck of a lot to update till the panel comes out with something

HOWEVER there was a football alumni meeting attended by about 100 alums about how to save the program, the meeting got coverage in the Boston Herald.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view.bg?articleid=1049096

Also quote from the new AD

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view.bg?articleid=1049332

I think articles like this help NU, the school might see that there would be a neagitive reaction.

Onto the CAA, anyone who thinks NU would so this without the "blessing" of the CAA is foolish. This is obviously a move that would be CAA approved if it happened as all things considered we don't want to leave the conference. The CAA is light years ahead of America East in terms of hoops (NU is 3-0 vs AE this year) and an A-10 invitation is not in the mail. No reason to leave the conference.

NU football is in a tough spot, they can't do much to Parsons as Brookline already hates us, and complain about the music during warm ups (its funny they can do it from their porch). Just as an interesting note, Parsons is old, its so old they don't know when it opened for sure.

Boston will not let NU build a facility, and it is not in the master plan either. Yeck on that.

Tough to recruit is right, anytime Rocky walks into a school another CAA school has been at, what do you think the first question is? Yup....you dropping football?

Obviously they are going to play 2008, far to late to drop it now, but the future should be interesting.

At least hockey is having a great year, #12 in the nation, first place in conference, things are good on that front for once!

Husky Alum
December 8th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I was looking forward to a trip to Boston next Fall...maybe double down on a Pats or Red Sox game if I'm lucky.

Any new news?

You don't release a 2008 football schedule and actively recruit if you're dropping football.

See you in September at Pretty Parsons Field - it's an experience unlike any other.

Dane (and others) know I'm pretty close with the athletic department - we're playing next season.

KAUMASS
December 8th, 2007, 08:07 AM
They need to make a decision quickly. Kids and coaches need to know ASAP so they can make plans either to transfer and look for other coaching spots.

NU is in a tough spot right now. It will be hard to recruit and kids will be looking to transfer out. The administration should have kept this hush hush and should have had a decision made right after NU's last game this year.. I hope NU stays with football and in the CAA, but they have really hurt themselves even if they continue with football. I hope they fire some of the administrators for this poor timing.

Umass74
December 8th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I really hope Northeastern does not drop football.

That would be blow to FCS and to New England football.

Good to see that the Northeastern alumni are banding together to fight it.

Your average college administrator-bureaucrat is capable of anything. xrolleyesx

rfeng
December 8th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I don't think it would be a blow to New England Football if you dropped football. There are plenty of schools in metro Boston, Framingham and Worcester (Holy Cross) Rhode Island (URI, Brown) and UNH who play football.

If Northeastern wants to keep football start buying all of the houses around Parsons and then start buying the housing between the campus and Parsons. With more dorms and residences closer to Parson the attendance should increase. Maybe you could even expand Parsons at some point in the future. NE is purchasing buildings around their downtown campus. Price isn't an issue - or shouldn't be an issue. Buy them and rent them to students who won't complain. If the decision was made 30 yrs ago today the price and mortgage would seem insignificant.

If you decide not then drop football join AE and spend your money on Hockey and BB. I think your main rivalry should be with Boston University since it is less than 2 miles away and you compete for the same students. Hasn't hockey always been the #1 sport for both schools?

MplsBison
December 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM
If Northeastern wants to keep football start buying all of the houses around Parsons and then start buying the housing between the campus and Parsons.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4846/nulc8.png

So much for the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Children's Hospital, and Museum of Fine Arts.

If you decide not then drop football join AE and spend your money on Hockey and BB.

That's definitely what I would recommend to the NU athletic department.

If you drop football, high tail it back to the AE for bball.

rfeng
December 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM
They are buying property NE of the campus shown on your map.

You can see Parsons Field where they should also be buying the houses adjacent to the field.

MplsBison
December 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I guess they could build a new stadium @ Dedham.

There's absolutely no way they're going to get any outdoor facilities on campus.