PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 9-16

JALMOND
September 13th, 2023, 09:19 PM
So now is the final weekend of non-conference games for all the Big Sky schools before 9 straight weeks of conference games. Four teams are advancing way up, playing the Pac-12 that certainly hasn't shown any leniency towards the Big Sky so far this year. Two are going the other way, playing teams from the NAIA. As for me, I currently sit at an embarrassing 21-3 so far for the year and need to have a perfect weekend this weekend. Here are my predictions for this weekend and my feeble attempt at perfection.

Lincoln, CA (NAIA) at CP---The Mustangs couldn't hang with a good team from the Mountain West last week, but they did get a win in their home opener two weeks ago. Hats off to the Mustangs who should be ready for conference play with a 2-1 record...CP 38, Lincoln, CA 7.

SE Louisiana (FCS Southland) at EWU---Quietly, but steadily, the Eagles have been letting other teams have their glory and, while they have emerged 0-2 so far, they have played some tough opponents close. Another tough one but this is at home. Can they get it?...EWU 28, SE Louisiana 24.

UI at California (FBS Pac-12)---The Vandals are looking good so far in the non-conference season, getting a relatively easy win over the FBS last week. They stay in the FBS but move up to the Pac-12 this week where they have a shot to get FBS win number 2. Close, but no...California 31, UI 28.

Northern Iowa (FCS Missouri Valley) at ISU---The Bengals took a two week trip into the Mountain West and looked good at times other than a really bad 2nd quarter against Utah State. They welcome one of the premier teams from the Missouri Valley this weekend...Northern Iowa 31, ISU 14.

Ferris State (DII) at UM---Two game against fairly easy opponents have got the Grizzlies off to a 2-0 start. Now, on paper, it looks like another easy foe is coming. But this team is a 2-time defending national champions in DII. The Grizzlies better be ready...UM 42, Ferris State 14.

Stetson (FCS Pioneer) at MSU---The Bobcats certainly did not shine away from the spotlight last week, looking impressive in the first half against the top team in FCS. They come back home this weekend, bringing in a Pioneer league squad from Florida. A good tuneup...MSU 48, Stetson 10.

Utah Tech (FCS United) at NAU---Getting away from their big brothers of the Pac-12 proved to be a good thing as the Lumberjacks looked better against FCS competition last week. They are the third straight Big Sky opponent for the team coming to town. They should get this one...NAU 28, Utah Tech 22.

UNC at Washington State (FBS Pac-12)---The Bears haven't shown much of a whimper in playing the Southland the last two weeks and now they are stepping up to the Pac-12, playing one of the surprising teams in that conference. This may get ugly in a hurry...Washington State 58, UNC 7.

North American, TX (NAIA) at PSU---Two FBS games for the Vikings and as a result, two losses to start the season. Defensive stats are ugly but that is expected with them giving up 81 points in the first game. One team may score a lot here, hopefully it is the Vikings...PSU 63, North American 7.

SAC at Stanford (FBS Pac-12)---The Hornets have shown that they can beat up on the Southland conference pretty good. Now they will take their good feelings and unblemished record up to the Pac-12 and the Bay Area where they may have a shot at an impressive win...Stanford 17, SAC 14.

Southern Utah (FCS United) at UCD---The Aggies were the lone victim of the Pac-12 last week so this week they are returning home and returning to FCS play against a team that put a scare into a Pac-12 team, then went out and couldn't stop their bigger rivals. Aggies return to winning...UCD 32, Southern Utah 28.

WSU at Utah (FBS Pac-12)---One step at a time. The Wildcats dispatched a DII school rather handily, then moved on to hostile territory and emerged with another win. The cream of their non-conference schedule is a date with their big brothers in one of the tougher places in the NCAA...Utah 42, WSU 14.

bonarae
September 13th, 2023, 09:26 PM
CP
SLU
UC Berkeley
UNI
Ferris State
Montana State
NAU
Wazzu
Viks
Stanford
UC Davis
Utah Utes

THE DANIMAL
September 14th, 2023, 09:22 AM
23-1 Season and 11-1 Last Week

Cal Poly 38 Lincoln, CA 10
EWU 38 SE Louisiana 35
California 38 Idaho 30
Northern Iowa 31 Idaho St. 20
Montana 42 Ferris St. 24
MSU 52 Stetson 10
Northern Arizona 35 Utah Tec h 24
Washington St. 55 UNC 3
Portland St. 42 North American 10
Stanford 35 Sacramento St. 17
UC Davis 38 Southern Utah 28
Utah 45 Weber St. 10

wapiti
September 14th, 2023, 12:08 PM
When this weekend completes we should be starting to get a feel for how each team is. 3 teams take on FBS and 3 are playing down a level

Weber State 13 @ 48 Utah (FBS) :: BBQ is collecting a check taking on number 12 in FBS.

Stetson 3 @ 45 MSU :: Cupcake for MSU

Idaho 21 @ 38 Califorina (FBS) :: UI gets another chance for a scalp, but this one will be harder to get.

Utah Tech 17 @ 35 NAU :: NAU should get a W here.

SE Lousiana 24 @ 28 EWU :: Home team takes the win

North American University (NAIA) 3 @ 48 PSU :: Just what the Doctor ordered for PSU after taking beatings from FBS teams

NC 3 @ 52 Washington State (FBS) :: UNCU is bad and WSU is doing well in the FBS.

Northern Iowa 28 @ 17 ISU :: Will the Bengals be able to defend their home field?

Sac 20 @ 35 Stanford (FBS) :: This game has a chance for a scalp.

Lincoln(Div 2) 0 @ 42 CP :: Cupcake for CP

Ferris State (Div 2) 17 @ 45 UM :: Ferris is a power house in Div 2. UM has lost to power house Div 2 team before. But not this time.

Southern Utah 24 @ 35 UC Davis :: This should be a good game for UC D against former conference foe.

mvemjsunpx
September 14th, 2023, 11:57 PM
SELU 44-41 EWU — Not clear how good these teams are from the results so far, so I'll go with my preseason pick

North American 3-65 Portlol St. — The other NAU is a terrible NAIA squad, so even a team like the Vikings can pick their score against them

Lincoln (CA) 10-41 Cal Poly — Lincoln isn't affiliated with any athletic association, I'm pretty sure, but they're still better than North American

Suutah 24-41 Davis — The T-Birds could be decent this year, but I doubt they're on Davis's level

Sac State 27-31 Stanchevy — I'd probably take the Hornets here if their former coach wasn't on the other sideline

Idaho 24-38 Cal — Can the Vandals get two scalps in a row? I'm gonna guess no since Cal has never lost to an FCS team

Yunie 33-20 Idaho St. — Northern Iowa has been disappointing thus far, but losing to Idaho State would be the definition of bottoming out

Weber 6-41 Utah — These intrastate opponents have only played 4 times, oddly enough

Utah Tech 17-38 NAU — The Lumberjacks are probably bad, but they're not Utah Tech bad

Ferris 17-31 Montana — The Griz decided to schedule themselves a Kobayashi Maru xrotatehx

Cowboy Hats 14-62 Montana St. — The perfect opponent to follow a bitter loss

NoCo 0-49 Wazzu — The Bears aren't even averaging double figures against FCS competition

The Cats
September 15th, 2023, 07:52 AM
I'm confused...

bobcathpdevil56
September 15th, 2023, 09:00 AM
CP
SLU
UC Berkeley
UNI
Ferris State
Montana State
NAU
Wazzu
Viks
Stanford
UC Davis
Utah Utes

bonarae did it. He hit full send on Ferris St.

JALMOND
September 15th, 2023, 09:06 AM

Bueller? Bueller?

uofmman1122
September 15th, 2023, 10:46 AM
Unlike with the hilarious people who picked Utah Tech over us last weekend, we might actually have big problems with Ferris.

But I also believe there aren't a ton of FCS teams that wouldn't have big problems with them. I'd even go as far as to say that I'd feel so much better about this team if we somehow blow them out. They're by far the best team we've played so far, and we get absolutely nothing for beating them. xrotatehx

bobcathpdevil56
September 15th, 2023, 11:39 AM
Unlike with the hilarious people who picked Utah Tech over us last weekend, we might actually have big problems with Ferris.

But I also believe there aren't a ton of FCS teams that wouldn't have big problems with them. I'd even go as far as to say that I'd feel so much better about this team if we somehow blow them out. They're by far the best team we've played so far, and we get absolutely nothing for beating them. xrotatehx

As long as there is no Danny Woodhead, and thus, a RB doesn't rush for 300 yards and 4 TDs, then the Griz will be fine.

uofmman1122
September 15th, 2023, 12:05 PM
As long as there is no Danny Woodhead, and thus, a RB doesn't rush for 300 yards and 4 TDs, then the Griz will be fine.
Well, they run a +1 QB run offense, so we're probably screwed. lol

JALMOND
September 15th, 2023, 12:33 PM

Thank you for calling me hilarious. :Dxthumbsupx It is better than some of the things my Griz friends were calling me. xembarrassedx

MSUBobcat
September 15th, 2023, 01:08 PM
BBQ 17 @ UU 45 - Weber looks to have not lost many steps from last year, but this is still way overmatched for them.
Stetson 6 @ MSU 69 - MSU gets a 2nd bye week in 2023, just in time for Tommy to recuperate from his injury last week.
Idaho 24 @ Cal 30 - The Vandals give the Bears a scare, but ultimately fall just short.
UTU 24 @ NAU 34 - NAU performed about how I expected against UND, minus the TD (or 2) in garbage time. Still should be able to knock off Dixie Tech at home.
SELA 31 @ EWU 34 - EWU seems improved over last year. Some home cooking is just what they need to get off the schneid.
N. American 3 @ PSU 48 - Why??? I hope PSU only gave the gas money to come play this game.
NoCo 6 @ Wazzu 59 - Cougs could name the score.
UNI 38 @ ISU-o 13 - The second game for UNI in the Big Sky-MVFC Challenge produces much more favorable results for the Panthers
Sac State 24 @ Stanford 28 - Hornets lost just a bit too much from last year to claim the FBS scalp, but come close to beating their former coach.
Lincoln 2 @ Poly 31 - No good HS teams from LA that had an open date?
Ferris 24 @ UM 38 - I think the Griz will win comfortably, with a late garbage TD making it look closer than it is, but man... I had to look up mvemjsunx's "Kobayashi Maru" term but that is exactly what this is.
SUU 20 @ Davis 38 - T'Birds haven't played terribly against their 2 FBS opponents, but Davis has a strong squad it appears.

JALMOND
September 15th, 2023, 05:51 PM
N. American 3 @ PSU 48 - Why??? I hope PSU only gave the gas money to come play this game.

Whatever the outcome is here, it will probably be worse for the Stallions next week when they go to Incarnate Word.

grizband
September 16th, 2023, 02:39 PM

2006 was an interesting season for Bobcat football! They start the season by upsetting Colorado 19-10, lost to the Fighting Danny Woodheads the next week, then were shut out by UC Davis 45-0 in week three.

crusader11
September 16th, 2023, 05:03 PM
Shame on everyone involved who made this Portland St - North American game happen. Waste of everyone’s time.

JALMOND
September 16th, 2023, 05:22 PM
Shame on everyone involved who made this Portland St - North American game happen. Waste of everyone’s time.

The people who brought you North American at Portland State this week are the same people who are bringing you North American at Incarnate Word next week. xrotatehx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2023, 05:28 PM
The people who brought you North American at Portland State this week are the same people who are bringing you North American at Incarnate Word next week. xrotatehx

Is it the same people who brought us Bishop Sycamore? xlolx

uofmman1122
September 17th, 2023, 02:11 AM
I'm telling you, Ferris State would take a large percentage of the AGS Top 25 to the brink.

They were absolutely legit.

JALMOND
September 17th, 2023, 03:52 AM
So now is the final weekend of non-conference games for all the Big Sky schools before 9 straight weeks of conference games. Four teams are advancing way up, playing the Pac-12 that certainly hasn't shown any leniency towards the Big Sky so far this year. Two are going the other way, playing teams from the NAIA. As for me, I currently sit at an embarrassing 21-3 so far for the year and need to have a perfect weekend this weekend. Here are my predictions for this weekend and my feeble attempt at perfection.

Lincoln, CA (NAIA) at CP---The Mustangs couldn't hang with a good team from the Mountain West last week, but they did get a win in their home opener two weeks ago. Hats off to the Mustangs who should be ready for conference play with a 2-1 record...CP 38, Lincoln, CA 7.

SE Louisiana (FCS Southland) at EWU---Quietly, but steadily, the Eagles have been letting other teams have their glory and, while they have emerged 0-2 so far, they have played some tough opponents close. Another tough one but this is at home. Can they get it?...EWU 28, SE Louisiana 24.

UI at California (FBS Pac-12)---The Vandals are looking good so far in the non-conference season, getting a relatively easy win over the FBS last week. They stay in the FBS but move up to the Pac-12 this week where they have a shot to get FBS win number 2. Close, but no...California 31, UI 28.

Northern Iowa (FCS Missouri Valley) at ISU---The Bengals took a two week trip into the Mountain West and looked good at times other than a really bad 2nd quarter against Utah State. They welcome one of the premier teams from the Missouri Valley this weekend...Northern Iowa 31, ISU 14.

Ferris State (DII) at UM---Two game against fairly easy opponents have got the Grizzlies off to a 2-0 start. Now, on paper, it looks like another easy foe is coming. But this team is a 2-time defending national champions in DII. The Grizzlies better be ready...UM 42, Ferris State 14.

Stetson (FCS Pioneer) at MSU---The Bobcats certainly did not shine away from the spotlight last week, looking impressive in the first half against the top team in FCS. They come back home this weekend, bringing in a Pioneer league squad from Florida. A good tuneup...MSU 48, Stetson 10.

Utah Tech (FCS United) at NAU---Getting away from their big brothers of the Pac-12 proved to be a good thing as the Lumberjacks looked better against FCS competition last week. They are the third straight Big Sky opponent for the team coming to town. They should get this one...NAU 28, Utah Tech 22.

UNC at Washington State (FBS Pac-12)---The Bears haven't shown much of a whimper in playing the Southland the last two weeks and now they are stepping up to the Pac-12, playing one of the surprising teams in that conference. This may get ugly in a hurry...Washington State 58, UNC 7.

North American, TX (NAIA) at PSU---Two FBS games for the Vikings and as a result, two losses to start the season. Defensive stats are ugly but that is expected with them giving up 81 points in the first game. One team may score a lot here, hopefully it is the Vikings...PSU 63, North American 7.

SAC at Stanford (FBS Pac-12)---The Hornets have shown that they can beat up on the Southland conference pretty good. Now they will take their good feelings and unblemished record up to the Pac-12 and the Bay Area where they may have a shot at an impressive win...Stanford 17, SAC 14.

Southern Utah (FCS United) at UCD---The Aggies were the lone victim of the Pac-12 last week so this week they are returning home and returning to FCS play against a team that put a scare into a Pac-12 team, then went out and couldn't stop their bigger rivals. Aggies return to winning...UCD 32, Southern Utah 28.

WSU at Utah (FBS Pac-12)---One step at a time. The Wildcats dispatched a DII school rather handily, then moved on to hostile territory and emerged with another win. The cream of their non-conference schedule is a date with their big brothers in one of the tougher places in the NCAA...Utah 42, WSU 14.

10-2 again this week, with a good miss (Sacramento State) and a not so good miss (Northern Arizona). 31-5 to start conference play.

Vandal03
September 17th, 2023, 08:49 AM
I'm telling you, Ferris State would take a large percentage of the AGS Top 25 to the brink.

They were absolutely legit.

I agree and hats off to Montana for playing a challenging non-conference opponent that won’t help get them into the playoffs. It would have been easier to play an average FCS team and get a D1 win. I wish there was a way to reward unique D2 wins like this.