PDA

View Full Version : Whipple to UConn?

aceinthehole
November 30th, 2007, 10:16 AM
The Hartford Courant has reported that UConn head coach Randy Edsall is in Atlanta interviewing for the Georgia Tech job. Edsall is a former asssitant at GT and IMO its pretty likely he may take this gig.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/football/hc-edsall1130.artnov30,0,2031892.story?coll=hc_tab02_ layout

Do you think Whipple will be a target of the UConn search if they have an opening?

Old Cage
November 30th, 2007, 10:34 AM
They should.

YaleFootballFan
November 30th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Whipple would make a great choice!

lizrdgizrd
November 30th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Sadly, it's too late for Mr. Whipple to coach at UConn.

http://outeasy.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/03-11-whipple.jpg

Cobblestone
November 30th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Could be a bad move for Edsall. UCONN football doesn't have much tradition and most of their fans (the sober few) care more about basketball. If UCONN football wins then it's OK, if they lose people in that state don't get too upset about it, they'll just go spend more time at the beer stand. The majority of the people at Rentschler don't even know what 1st and 10 means. But let Jim Calhoun have a losing basketball season and the entire state will be up in arms.

Georgia Tech certainly puts more emphasis on winning football games than UCONN does. If Edsall does take this position it'll be a major culture shock for him.

Bottom line, Edsall has a nice contract at UCONN and little pressure to win. I'd stay put if I were him.

RAMS83
November 30th, 2007, 12:18 PM
U Richmond's Dave Clawson is ready for a 1A job. He a terrific coach. I dont expect him to be in FCS for more than 1 more year.

Marcus Garvey
November 30th, 2007, 12:44 PM
The thing about Whipple is that he keeps getting passed over. I fail to see why BC would have chose Jeff Jagzdsfdklszki (I could care less if I spell it right) over Whipple. The guy had no head coaching experience, yet Whipple had plenty and was a proven winner. Both were (relatively) unknown NFL assistants at the time. So why chose Jeff Jagzdsfdklszki over Whip?
My theory: Whipple interviewed badly.

tke504oa
November 30th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Edsall is a solid choice he was at Tech under O'leary knows how to win there... Uconn should be concerned...

KAUMASS
November 30th, 2007, 12:52 PM
The thing about Whipple is that he keeps getting passed over. I fail to see why BC would have chose Jeff Jagzdsfdklszki (I could care less if I spell it right) over Whipple. The guy had no head coaching experience, yet Whipple had plenty and was a proven winner. Both were (relatively) unknown NFL assistants at the time. So why chose Jeff Jagzdsfdklszki over Whip?

Whipple wanted to bring his own staff and BC wanted to retain some of their coaches. Jogazinskiflyous was a yes man and said ok so he got the job.

Whipple will be coaching a FBS school this coming year, possibly Pitt. Let's see what happens in Pitt after their game with West Virginia this weekend.

Marcus Garvey
November 30th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Whipple will be coaching a FBS school this coming year, possibly Pitt. Let's see what happens in Pitt after their game with West Virginia this weekend.

I agree, that he'd be a great fit for Pitt, but Wandstedt's job is safe. This is his 3rd season and he's popular among the boosters and administration, although some are starting to grumble. Before this season he was .500. The Panthers have been decimated by injuries this year and played their 3rd string QB for much of it. As a result, many among the Pitt faithful are accounting that as the reason for this abysmal season. They'll give him 4 years before making a move. Besides, this program is nowhere near as bad as Syracuse.

CollegeSportsInfo
November 30th, 2007, 01:12 PM
The Hartford Courant has reported that UConn head coach Randy Edsall is in Atlanta interviewing for the Georgia Tech job. Edsall is a former asssitant at GT and IMO its pretty likely he may take this gig.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/football/hc-edsall1130.artnov30,0,2031892.story?coll=hc_tab02_ layout

Do you think Whipple will be a target of the UConn search if they have an opening?

I will preface this with the fact that i have no inside info.

My thoughts are that yes, Whipple will be targeted. The guy has been successful on a D2 level in that state. he's been successful up the road at Brown. He's won a national title 40 minutes north of Hartford at UMass. The guy has New England coaching all over him and was in the final 2 for the BC job. If ANY FBS jobs were to open in the northeast, Whipple will be mentioned. But for UConn, it seems to make even more sense than BC.

CollegeSportsInfo
November 30th, 2007, 01:15 PM

JJ was the OC at Green Bay while Whipple was a QB coach. Big difference in managing a unit. Whipple worked primarily with 3 players while JJ worked with the entire offensive unit in Green Bay including Brett Favre.

JJ was a good pick for BC and they have had a great season.

Marcus Garvey
November 30th, 2007, 01:21 PM
JJ was the OC at Green Bay while Whipple was a QB coach. Big difference in managing a unit. Whipple worked primarily with 3 players while JJ worked with the entire offensive unit in Green Bay including Brett Favre.

JJ was a good pick for BC and they have had a great season.

If you're a hiring manager, don't screen resume's anytime soon. If you are only going to look at the last job held, then yeah, Jags gets the nod. But you make it sound as though Whipple's college head coaching experience doesn't count. Jags had no experience managing an entire roster of college kids, which can total up to 100. Whip has a huge edge there.

Seawolf97
November 30th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Sadly, it's too late for Mr. Whipple to coach at UConn.

http://outeasy.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/03-11-whipple.jpg

Oh Wellxlolx xlolx

umassfan
November 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Whipples son is currently a walk on at Pitt. If the Pitt job is open... I see him going there in 2 secs. He also could go to Marshall because the AD that hired him at UMass is the same AD currently at Marshall.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 30th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Whipples son is currently a walk on at Pitt. If the Pitt job is open... I see him going there in 2 secs. He also could go to Marshall because the AD that hired him at UMass is the same AD currently at Marshall.

Any chance he'll be take your coach along with him if gos to either of those places:p

umassfan
November 30th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Any chance he'll be take your coach along with him if gos to either of those places:p

Rumor has it yes

KAUMASS
November 30th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Depends on the $. I'm not sure a co-ordinator position at Pitt or Marshall would be worth the jump for Brown. Brown himself may be a candidate for a FBS job!!

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 30th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Depends on the $. I'm not sure a co-ordinator position at Pitt or Marshall would be worth the jump for Brown. Brown himself may be a candidate for a FBS job!!

He's a great coach.

KAUMASS
November 30th, 2007, 04:46 PM
He's a great coach.

Your coach isn't to shabby either. For the resources you have and without any transfers, I might give your coach the nod.

brownbear
November 30th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I agree, that he'd be a great fit for Pitt, but Wandstedt's job is safe. This is his 3rd season and he's popular among the boosters and administration, although some are starting to grumble. Before this season he was .500. The Panthers have been decimated by injuries this year and played their 3rd string QB for much of it. As a result, many among the Pitt faithful are accounting that as the reason for this abysmal season. They'll give him 4 years before making a move. Besides, this program is nowhere near as bad as Syracuse.

Wannstedt is going nowhere. He just signed an extension through 2012.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3135834

Cobblestone
November 30th, 2007, 09:44 PM
If you're a hiring manager, don't screen resume's anytime soon. If you are only going to look at the last job held, then yeah, Jags gets the nod. But you make it sound as though Whipple's college head coaching experience doesn't count. Jags had no experience managing an entire roster of college kids, which can total up to 100. Whip has a huge edge there.

BC is playing VA Tech in the ACC Championship game tomorrow (12/1), I'd say Jags was a good hire.

UDBlueLotFan
November 30th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Could be a bad move for Edsall. UCONN football doesn't have much tradition and most of their fans (the sober few) care more about basketball. If UCONN football wins then it's OK, if they lose people in that state don't get too upset about it, they'll just go spend more time at the beer stand. The majority of the people at Rentschler don't even know what 1st and 10 means. But let Jim Calhoun have a losing basketball season and the entire state will be up in arms.

Georgia Tech certainly puts more emphasis on winning football games than UCONN does. If Edsall does take this position it'll be a major culture shock for him.

Bottom line, Edsall has a nice contract at UCONN and little pressure to win. I'd stay put if I were him.

UConn has a beer stand xconfusedx If UD had em', you'd think you were watching a DSU game with all those empty seats xsmiley_wix xnodx

Brad82
December 1st, 2007, 06:20 AM
Tim Stowers is candidate for UCONN job.

brownbear
December 1st, 2007, 09:13 AM
Tim Stowers is candidate for UCONN job.

Why would he get promoted from URI?