22: Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs
23: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
24: Albany Great Danes
25: Samford Bulldogs

The Most Significant Win: Western Carolina Catamounts
The Most Significant Loss: Northern Iowa Panthers

Professor Chaos
September 11th, 2023, 11:54 AM
This week's poll article: https://thefcswedge.com/ags-poll/ags-poll-week-2-top-25-results-5/

Some new blood in the top 5 as both Holy Cross and Idaho got to their highest ever rankings in the AGS Poll. Western Carolina cracked the top 25 for the first time since 2017. I was a little surprised to see some teams falling after FBS losses - I realize they were blowouts but UC Davis and Delaware both got knocked down quite a bit for taking a big L from pretty good FBS teams. SLU also got knocked down for an FBS loss.

Professor Chaos
September 11th, 2023, 11:55 AM
This was my crack at it this week:

1: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
2: Montana State Bobcats
3: North Dakota State Bison
4: Furman Paladins
5: Holy Cross Crusaders
6: Idaho Vandals
7: William & Mary Tribe
8: UC Davis Aggies
9: New Hampshire Wildcats
10: Sac State Hornets
11: Southern Illinois Salukis
12: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
13: Incarnate Word Cardinals
14: Weber State Wildcats
15: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
16: Youngstown State Penguins
17: Montana Grizzlies
18: Western Carolina Catamounts
19: Delaware Fightin Blue Hens
20: Albany Great Danes
21: North Carolina Central Eagles
22: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
23: Fordham Rams
24: Florida A&M Rattlers
25: Mercer Bears

Preferred Walk-On
September 11th, 2023, 12:06 PM
This week's poll article: https://thefcswedge.com/ags-poll/ags-poll-week-2-top-25-results-5/

Some new blood in the top 5 as both Holy Cross and Idaho got to their highest ever rankings in the AGS Poll. Western Carolina cracked the top 25 for the first time since 2017. I was a little surprised to see some teams falling after FBS losses - I realize they were blowouts but UC Davis and Delaware both got knocked down quite a bit for taking a big L from pretty good FBS teams. SLU also got knocked down for an FBS loss.

I think some of that has to do with teams below making a jump up, rather than simply teams falling after FBS losses...at least that was the circumstance for me for a few spots.

dewey
September 11th, 2023, 12:10 PM
Here is my top 25.

7: Weber State Wildcats
8: Incarnate Word Cardinals
9: Sac State Hornets
10: Southern Illinois Salukis
11: New Hampshire Wildcats
12: Montana Grizzlies
13: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
14: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
15: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
16: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
17: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
18: UC Davis Aggies
19: Mercer Bears
20: Samford Bulldogs
22: Rhode Island Rams
23: Albany Great Danes
24: Tarleton Texans
25: South Dakota Coyotes

dewey

The Most Significant Win: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

Dewey

Professor Chaos
September 11th, 2023, 12:13 PM
I think some of that has to do with teams below making a jump up, rather than simply teams falling after FBS losses...at least that was the circumstance for me for a few spots.
That would make sense with teams like SIU and Weber St moving ahead of them but, in the consensus at least, there were teams like Montana, UND, and SEMO that also moved ahead of SLU and UC Davis.

ElCid
September 11th, 2023, 12:15 PM
I'm always a bit fascinated how people come up with most significant win or loss. I suppose SDSU could viewed as most significant win, but it escapes me how to justify it. They received just about a he same number of first place votes as last week. They were picked by the computers to win by less than one score, which they did. Can anyone explain how SDSU's win was more significant than, in no particular order, Idaho's, or UTM'S, or Fordham's, or WCU's, or SIU's, or Weber's? I'm not saying I can't be convinced, but I'm not seeing it at all.

It's not a popularity contest. It has to be "Significant" in some manner. How was it significant? Did anyone think that SDSU was going to get their butt kicked. I suppose one could think that they underperformed big time, but that was probably due to unrealistic expectations. But I'd love to hear some actual explanations.

Professor Chaos
September 11th, 2023, 12:22 PM
I'm always a bit fascinated how people come up with most significant win or loss. I suppose SDSU could viewed as most significant win, but it escapes me how to justify it. They received just about a he same number of first place votes as last week. They were picked by the computers to win by less than one score, which they did. Can anyone explain how SDSU's win was more significant than, in no particular order, Idaho's, or UTM'S, or Fordham's, or WCU's, or SIU's, or Weber's? I'm not saying I can't be convinced, but I'm not seeing it at all.

It's not a popularity contest. It has to be "Significant" in some manner. How was it significant? Did anyone think that SDSU was going to get their butt kicked. I suppose one could think that they underperformed big time, but that was probably due to unrealistic expectations. But I'd love to hear some actual explanations.
Agreed - I thought Idaho was a shoe-in for MSW after they dismantled an FBS team a week after the subdivision when 0-fer against the FBS.

I contemplated Montana St for MSL since I thought them hanging with and nearly beating SDSU on the road showed that they're most definitely natty contenders - but I ended up going with Samford. I suppose you could make the argument that SDSU struggling to beat Montana St even with Mellott missing the 4th quarter was significant since it shows they're not invincible??? xdontknowx

crusader11
September 11th, 2023, 12:24 PM
Here's my 25....

2: Holy Cross Crusaders
4: Montana State Bobcats
5: William & Mary Tribe
6: Furman Paladins
7: Idaho Vandals
8: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
10: Weber State Wildcats
11: UC Davis Aggies
12: Incarnate Word Cardinals
13: Sac State Hornets
14: Southern Illinois Salukis
15: Montana Grizzlies
16: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
17: Rhode Island Rams
19: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
20: North Carolina Central Eagles
21: Youngstown State Penguins
22: Mercer Bears
24: Villanova Wildcats
25: Princeton Tigers

The Most Significant Win: Weber State Wildcats
The Most Significant Loss: Samford Bulldogs
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Patriot League

ElCid
September 11th, 2023, 12:27 PM
Agreed - I thought Idaho was a shoe-in for MSW after they dismantled an FBS team a week after the subdivision when 0-fer against the FBS.

I contemplated Montana St for MSL since I thought them hanging with and nearly beating SDSU on the road showed that they're most definitely natty contenders - but I ended up going with Samford. I suppose you could make the argument that SDSU struggling to beat Montana St even with Mellott missing the 4th quarter was significant since it shows they're not invincible??? xdontknowx

That's what I'm thinking. A lot of mental gymnastics needed to put SDSU win as significant. I almost went with Idaho, but settled on Fordham because of its ripple affect with Albany.

TheKingpin28
September 11th, 2023, 12:30 PM
Been super busy with work but here is my best shot at it. I see I was off on SIU and William & Mary, otherwise, pretty consistent with the consensus:

4: William & Mary Tribe
7: Furman Paladins
8: Sac State Hornets
9: Incarnate Word Cardinals
10: New Hampshire Wildcats
11: Montana Grizzlies
12: Weber State Wildcats
13: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
14: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
15: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
16: Mercer Bears
17: Southern Illinois Salukis
19: Western Carolina Catamounts
21: Rhode Island Rams
22: Tarleton Texans
24: Samford Bulldogs
25: Villanova Wildcats

ursus arctos horribilis
September 11th, 2023, 12:32 PM

Good stuff as always. Rep this man.

Chalupa Batman
September 11th, 2023, 12:33 PM

Idaho isn’t a bad choice for MSW, and they did overperform in how bad they did beat Nevada, but we all already knew they were really good. I went with Western Carolina because they announced they were really good (at least for this week) which a lot of people didn’t already know.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 11th, 2023, 12:37 PM

They barely got most significant by one vote and only 9 people voted them in that spot so it was very disparate again this week. I think it was most significant to some because they were expected to win that game by most fairly easily. They nearly lost it by seconds and inches so it felt more significant to a lot of people than it would have otherwise i think. The game drama added to it.

crusader11
September 11th, 2023, 12:38 PM
MSW was Weber for me. I actually didn't have to think too long about this, despite there being a few good options on the table.

To go into the Dome and double up UNI (a team some thought are top 10-15 good), scoring the final 20 points of the game, is damn impressive. Tells me they will for sure contend for the Big Sky title -- getting Montana St, Idaho, and Davis all at home is massive.

Damon Bankston is that dude.

I'd love to see them stay competitive with Utah for a half. Can't wait for them to host Montana St in a couple of weeks.

ElCid
September 11th, 2023, 12:48 PM
They barely got most significant by one vote and only 9 people voted them in that spot so it was very disparate again this week. I think it was most significant to some because they were expected to win that game by most fairly easily. They nearly lost it by seconds and inches so it felt more significant to a lot of people than it would have otherwise i think. The game drama added to it.

Well, that was what I suspected. Lots of big wins by many teams and a split of support. I see it through my eyes of poll significance. And the tallies from last week and this week didn't show this. Oh well. Not a biggie, just curious.

POD Knows
September 11th, 2023, 12:50 PM
4: Holy Cross Crusaders
7: Sac State Hornets
9: Weber State Wildcats
10: Furman Paladins
12: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
13: Montana Grizzlies
14: New Hampshire Wildcats
16: UC Davis Aggies
17: Mercer Bears
18: Rhode Island Rams
19: North Carolina Central Eagles
20: Western Carolina Catamounts
21: Samford Bulldogs
22: Youngstown State Penguins
23: Villanova Wildcats
24: Illinois State Redbirds
25: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens

POD Knows

The Most Significant Win: Southern Illinois Salukis

POD Knows
September 11th, 2023, 12:55 PM

I agree with this 100%, the win by SDSU was CHALK, it wasn't significant, it was expected.

taper
September 11th, 2023, 01:25 PM
2: North Dakota State Bison
3: Montana State Bobcats
6: Incarnate Word Cardinals
8: William & Mary Tribe
10: New Hampshire Wildcats
11: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
12: Weber State Wildcats
14: UC Davis Aggies
15: Southern Illinois Salukis
17: Montana Grizzlies
18: Mercer Bears
20: Western Carolina Catamounts
21: Northern Iowa Panthers
22: Albany Great Danes
24: Rhode Island Rams
25: Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs

taper

This MSW debate surprises me. The winner of SDSU/MSU was the only choice even before the game was played. The most significant part of the entire season is the championship, and the winner of this game guarantees a #1 seed if they win out. Strong chance MSU stays at #3 the rest of the season, meaning they go on the road in the semis. That's HUGE. MSW isn't about surprises or overperforming, it's what it means to the overall season.

dewey
September 11th, 2023, 01:30 PM
This MSW debate surprises me. The winner of SDSU/MSU was the only choice even before the game was played. The most significant part of the entire season is the championship, and the winner of this game guarantees a #1 seed if they win out. Strong chance MSU stays at #3 the rest of the season, meaning they go on the road in the semis. That's HUGE. MSW isn't about surprises or overperforming, it's what it means to the overall season.

That was my thinking on the MSW. If SDSU wins out or even drops one they are more than likely a top 2 team for the playoffs which means the road to Frisco goes through Brookings (pardon me...I just threw up in my mouth).

MSU now has to hope that NDSU, Furman and other top contenders lose to give MSU a top 2 seed for the playoffs.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
September 11th, 2023, 01:44 PM
That was my thinking on the MSW. If SDSU wins out or even drops one they are more than likely a top 2 team for the playoffs which means the road to Frisco goes through Brookings (pardon me...I just threw up in my mouth).

MSU now has to hope that NDSU, Furman and other top contenders lose to give MSU a top 2 seed for the playoffs.

Dewey

Well as far as what we prduce but the selection committee may have it slightly different in another 4 weeks when they start kicking things around for the first time.

wmmii
September 11th, 2023, 01:52 PM
Here is my top 25.

dewey

Dewey

Did you intend to leave William & Mary out of your top 25?

tribe_pride
September 11th, 2023, 01:53 PM
Here is my top 25.

dewey

Dewey

I know I am a little biased but no W&M in the top 25?

MSUBobcat
September 11th, 2023, 02:14 PM

Dewey

I'm not sure I agree that we need to hope for others to lose for a top 2 seed, assuming we win out. Even with the loss fresh in everyone's mind, MSU is still the consensus #3 on AGS, by a pretty wide margin too. If NDSU wins in Brookings, sure. But if the Bison are less competitive, with our game being lost on a very close last second play, we're obviously ahead of NDSU. We still have road games against 4 ranked teams. Not many teams have the opportunity to have wins over 4 ranked teams, especially on the road. 10-1 record, no lower division W's, 4 ranked W's and the only loss being an overturned TD on the road against the #1 team is definitely in strong consideration of the #2. Lots of games to be played so I'm not getting worked up about it yet.

dewey
September 11th, 2023, 02:21 PM
Did you intend to leave William & Mary out of your top 25?

Crap. That was a mistake on my part.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
September 11th, 2023, 02:25 PM

Dewey

This all makes sense if we were the ones seeding the teams, but we’re not. We are merely assembling our collective, & current, ranking of teams.

SDSU could have the injury bug hit and lose a couple games or someone like SIU could turn out to be really good and simply make overtake NDSU & SDSU as the best team in the Valley. If either of those happened and knocked the Jacks’ out of a top 2 seed, their win against MSU turns out to be not nearly as significant. But in this current set of rankings we know the same thing about SDSU that we knew the week before, we learned significantly more about teams like WCU, Weber, SIU, & Idaho in my opinion.

grizband
September 11th, 2023, 02:51 PM
I've voted in this poll for over a decade, and don't believe I've ever ranked Georgetown before this week. My poll will surely change in the coming weeks, but I thought they deserved a look. And yes, Furman is ranked too low.

7: Sac State Hornets
9: Southern Illinois Salukis
10: Illinois State Redbirds
11: Weber State Wildcats
13: Furman Paladins
14: Mercer Bears
15: New Hampshire Wildcats
16: Incarnate Word Cardinals
17: Villanova Wildcats
18: Albany Great Danes
19: Fordham Rams
20: Tarleton Texans
21: Abilene Christian Wildcats
22: Western Carolina Catamounts
23: North Carolina Central Eagles
24: Rhode Island Rams
25: Georgetown Hoyas

grizband

The Most Significant Loss: Holy Cross Crusaders
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Big Sky Conference

crusader11
September 11th, 2023, 02:59 PM
I've voted in this poll for over a decade, and don't believe I've ever ranked Georgetown before this week. My poll will surely change in the coming weeks, but I thought they deserved a look.

Even as a PL homer, I can't get on board with this. There are definitely more deserving teams than Georgetown. The 2-0 record looks nice, but they've beaten a bad Marist team and Sacred Heart in a weather-shortened game.

dewey
September 11th, 2023, 03:02 PM
This all makes sense if we were the ones seeding the teams, but we’re not. We are merely assembling our collective, & current, ranking of teams.

SDSU could have the injury bug hit and lose a couple games or someone like SIU could turn out to be really good and simply make overtake NDSU & SDSU as the best team in the Valley. If either of those happened and knocked the Jacks’ out of a top 2 seed, their win against MSU turns out to be not nearly as significant. But in this current set of rankings we know the same thing about SDSU that we knew the week before, we learned significantly more about teams like WCU, Weber, SIU, & Idaho in my opinion.

I guess that is the nice thing about this top 25 poll and what we each use to make our own determinations on what the MSW and MSL is. I am not saying someone else's thinking is wrong it is just different than mine. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2023, 03:08 PM
5: Idaho Vandals
6: New Hampshire Wildcats
10: William & Mary Tribe
12: Youngstown State Penguins
15: Yale Bulldogs
16: Southern Illinois Salukis
17: Western Carolina Catamounts
20: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
22: Princeton Tigers
24: Weber State Wildcats

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2023, 04:03 PM
Here's my 25....

2: Holy Cross Crusaders
10: Weber State Wildcats
12: Incarnate Word Cardinals
13: Sac State Hornets
17: Rhode Island Rams
19: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
24: Villanova Wildcats
25: Princeton Tigers

The Most Significant Win: Weber State Wildcats

will Yale be in your poll next week ?

Holy Cross at Yale should be a good one and Sluka needs to forget about that fumble

Preferred Walk-On
September 11th, 2023, 05:05 PM
I've voted in this poll for over a decade, and don't believe I've ever ranked Georgetown before this week. My poll will surely change in the coming weeks, but I thought they deserved a look. And yes, Furman is ranked too low.

25: Georgetown Hoyas

Thought about this for a microsecond; however, I went with Morgan State at 25.

BTW, was wondering where the love is for the Bears. They beat Richmond...and then they lose a squeaker to FBS Akron. Well, "It was Akron.", one might say. OK then. Akron was beaten by Temple by 3 pt in week 1. Akron and Temple are 152 and 131, respectively, in Sagarin.

To put this into perspective, Temple is "Sagarin"-higher than William & Mary, Yale, Central Arkansas and New Hampshire and just a tish lower then Youngstown State, Montana, and Incarnate Word. Akron is "Sagarin"-higher than Abilene Christian, Southeastern Louisiana, Delaware, Tarleton State, Rhode Island, and Western Carolina. If any of those names sound familiar, it is because they are in the AGS Top 25 or have received enough votes to be ORV.

ElCid
September 11th, 2023, 05:06 PM

Well, that at least is original. Lot of ifs in there though. Not by you, but by the teams in question. This could be said about a lot of games this early in the season. It requires HUGE assumptions. Injuries happen, teams go to sleep, other teams play above themselves. I certainly would not bet they won't be a top two seed, but I wouldn't bet they will be either. At least not yet. Well, maybe a little bet. But using your logic, then every win they have in every game remaining will be the most significant. At least until they lose. No? If they lose one then it will be the most significant loss. I could agree on that. But every win? Eh. But thanks for splaining. To each his own.

skinny_uncle
September 11th, 2023, 05:32 PM
I would have said SIU was the most significant win. They were not only the fiirst FCS to beat n FBS, they displayed a much improved defense that can make a difference.

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2023, 05:36 PM

BTW, was wondering where the love is for the Bears. They beat Richmond...and then they lose a squeaker to FBS Akron. Well, "It was Akron.", one might say. OK then. Akron was beaten by Temple by 3 pt in week 1. Akron and Temple are 152 and 131, respectivelyw, in Sagarin.

To put this into perspective, Temple is "Sagarin"-higher than William & Mary, Yale, Central Arkansas and New Hampshire and just a tish lower then Youngstown State, Montana, and Incarnate Word. Akron is "Sagarin"-higher than Abilene Christian, Southeastern Louisiana, Delaware, Tarleton State, Rhode Island, and Western Carolina. If any of those names sound familiar, it is because they are in the AGS Top 25 or have received enough votes to be ORV.

Richmond is not any good though, the magic QB/WR duo graduated. There still pretty good on D

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2023, 05:37 PM
Richmond is not any good though, the magic SoCon QB/WR duo graduated. There still pretty good on D
FYP

Professor Chaos
September 11th, 2023, 05:44 PM
6: New Hampshire Wildcats
10: William & Mary Tribe
12: Youngstown State Penguins
15: Yale Bulldogs
16: Southern Illinois Salukis
17: Western Carolina Catamounts
20: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
22: Princeton Tigers
24: Weber State Wildcats

I think if you're going to put Fordham in your top 25 you need to include Albany. xtwocentsx

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2023, 05:55 PM
FYP

Nope, on the Southern Conference thread after the VMI lost to Patriot league Bucknell in the Innovation bowl, They’re asking if VMI is really part of the Southern Conference so I don’t know

Mike296
September 11th, 2023, 06:41 PM
Hello Mike296,

We have received your AGS Top 25 vote on 9/10/2023 17:50:55

Your vote is listed below.

3: Holy Cross Crusaders
5: Furman Paladins
6: William & Mary Tribe
10: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
12: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
14: Montana Grizzlies
15: Southern Illinois Salukis
16: Weber State Wildcats
17: Mercer Bears
18: Sac State Hornets
19: Rhode Island Rams
20: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
21: Fordham Rams
22: Western Carolina Catamounts
23: Samford Bulldogs
24: North Carolina Central Eagles
25: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks

Mike296

The Most Significant Win: Idaho Vandals
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Atlantic Sun Conference

grizband
September 11th, 2023, 07:39 PM
Even as a PL homer, I can't get on board with this. There are definitely more deserving teams than Georgetown. The 2-0 record looks nice, but they've beaten a bad Marist team and Sacred Heart in a weather-shortened game.

BTW, was wondering where the love is for the Bears. They beat Richmond...and then they lose a squeaker to FBS Akron. Well, "It was Akron.", one might say. OK then. Akron was beaten by Temple by 3 pt in week 1. Akron and Temple are 152 and 131, respectively, in Sagarin.

You both make great points. I appreciate back and forth about polls, without derision.

mvemjsunpx
September 11th, 2023, 10:55 PM
Previous week in parentheses…

1. South Dakota St. (1)
2. North Dakota St. (2)
3. Idaho (6)
4. Southern Illinois (21)
5. UC Davis (3)
6. Holy Cross (4)
7. William & Mary (5)
8. Montana St. (7)
9. Furman (9)
10. North Dakota (11)
11. New Hampshire (8)
12. Southeastern Louisiana (12)
13. Southeast Missouri St. (13)
14. Delaware (15)
15. NC Central (16)
16. Sacramento St. (17)
17. Montana (18)
18. Youngstown St. (20)
19. Rhode Island (23)
20. Eastern Kentucky (24)
21. Incarnate Word (25)
22. Albany (NR)
23. Western Carolina (NR)
24. Gardner-Webb (NR)
25. Weber St. (NR)

Dropped - Samford (10), Elon (14), Northern Iowa (19), Mercer (22)

W - Southern Illinois
L - Samford

atthewbon
September 13th, 2023, 09:01 AM
4: Idaho Vandals
8: Weber State Wildcats
10: Sac State Hornets
12: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
14: New Hampshire Wildcats
15: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
16: Montana Grizzlies
17: North Carolina Central Eagles
19: UC Davis Aggies
20: Mercer Bears
22: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
24: Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs

caribbeanhen
September 13th, 2023, 11:08 AM
Previous week in parentheses…

1. South Dakota St. (1)
2. North Dakota St. (2)
3. Idaho (6)
4. Southern Illinois (21)
5. UC Davis (3)
6. Holy Cross (4)
7. William & Mary (5)
8. Montana St. (7)
9. Furman (9)
10. North Dakota (11)
11. New Hampshire (8)
12. Southeastern Louisiana (12)
13. Southeast Missouri St. (13)
14. Delaware (15)
15. NC Central (16)
16. Sacramento St. (17)
17. Montana (18)
18. Youngstown St. (20)
19. Rhode Island (23)
20. Eastern Kentucky (24)
21. Incarnate Word (25)
22. Albany (NR)
23. Western Carolina (NR)
24. Gardner-Webb (NR)
25. Weber St. (NR)

Dropped - Samford (10), Elon (14), Northern Iowa (19), Mercer (22)

W - Southern Illinois
L - Samford

Weber St 25 seems low considering they beat N Iowa on road and how high you are on the Big Sky throughout your poll

crusader11
September 13th, 2023, 11:44 AM
will Yale be in your poll next week ?

Holy Cross at Yale should be a good one and Sluka needs to forget about that fumble

Yale in the 26-28 range. Thought about ranking them.

Sometimes playing backyard football comes back to bite Sluka, but it's what makes him one of the most dynamic and exciting guys to watch (FBS or FCS).

caribbeanhen
September 13th, 2023, 12:40 PM
Yale in the 26-28 range. Thought about ranking them.

Sometimes playing backyard football comes back to bite Sluka, but it's what makes him one of the most dynamic and exciting guys to watch (FBS or FCS).

back yard football

I like it and love watching him play, I think Holy Cross is in for another nail bitter this week but when the chips are down, I’ll roll with Sluka

Catbooster
September 13th, 2023, 06:45 PM
8: Weber State Wildcats
9: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
10: Incarnate Word Cardinals
12: New Hampshire Wildcats
13: Western Carolina Catamounts
14: Sac State Hornets
17: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
19: Rhode Island Rams
20: Northern Iowa Panthers
21: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
22: North Carolina Central Eagles
24: Southern Illinois Salukis

Catbooster

The Most Significant Win: Idaho Vandals

mvemjsunpx
September 14th, 2023, 12:35 AM
Weber St 25 seems low considering they beat N Iowa on road and how high you are on the Big Sky throughout your poll

I expected Weber to drop this season because they lost their coach and most of their offense (I picked them to go 6-5). I didn't pick them to beat UNI, but UNI has been disappointing 2 weeks in a row now. Weber also struggled for a lot of their game against CWU.

The Cats
September 14th, 2023, 09:13 AM
I was thinking about the "most significant win" and "most significant loss" categories.

This week's results were:
Most Significant Win: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
Most Significant Loss: Samford Bulldogs

I agree with the most significant loss, however, I have to question the most significant win.

I'm just not sold on selecting the #1 team, beating the #3 team as the most significant win. In a perfect world, wouldn't we expect the #1 team to beat the #3 team?

Is my thinking wrong? or did enough folks question SDSU truly being the #1 team, that when they pulled it out, it was significant? help me out here.

crusader11
September 14th, 2023, 09:17 AM
I was thinking about the "most significant win" and "most significant loss" categories.

I agree with the most significant loss, however, I have to question the most significant win.

I'm just not sold on selecting the #1 team, beating the #3 team as the most significant win. In a perfect world, wouldn't we expect the #1 team to beat the #3 team?

Is my thinking wrong? or did enough folks question SDSU truly being the #1 team, that when they pulled it out, it was significant? help me out here.

It's significant because there's a big, big advantage come playoff time in being a #1 or #2 seed as you have homefield to Frisco. SDSU, in winning, really helped their cause for a top two seed (obviously still many weeks to play), while Montana St likely has to win out to get a top two seed.

ElCid
September 14th, 2023, 10:04 AM

Did you read the first 3 pages of this thread? :-o. I agree with you. The logic of it means it will be the most significant win every... single...week. At least until they lose. But it's up to the voter for "their" most significant. Not anyone else's.

The Cats
September 14th, 2023, 10:05 AM
It's significant because there's a big, big advantage come playoff time in being a #1 or #2 seed as you have homefield to Frisco. SDSU, in winning, really helped their cause for a top two seed (obviously still many weeks to play), while Montana St likely has to win out to get a top two seed.

I understand what you are saying, but the #1 team winning every week is important come playoff time, I don't see why week 2 is more important than week 5 or week 6. Given that reasoning, selecting the #1 team every week that they win would be the standard.

Chalupa Batman
September 14th, 2023, 10:09 AM

We’re not all going to have the same way to define “most significant win” and that’s great because it’ll lead us to recognizing multiple teams who did something good each week.

My personal interpretation is either the team that I knew was good but still helped themselves the most in the rankings (like my #13 beating #5 by 14+ points for instance), or a team that I didn’t know was good (or suspected was good but wasn’t quite sure) has an impressive victory. This week I went with the latter and Western Carolina. I also think that the most significant wins and losses should be related to how they affect those teams’ ranking in my poll, not what I think someone else may think of those wins & losses.

As I said in a previous post on this thread we don’t know anything about SDSU we didn’t already know so to me that win, while important to their playoff seeding, wasn’t nearly as significant a win to THIS poll as wins by WCU, Weber, SIU, and others.

taper
September 14th, 2023, 10:22 AM
I understand what you are saying, but the #1 team winning every week is important come playoff time, I don't see why week 2 is more important than week 5 or week 6. Given that reasoning, selecting the #1 team every week that they win would be the standard.
No, that is not the reasoning behind it. #1 vs #3 has massive title implications. This is probably the most significant OOC game of the entire season. There were other significant wins, but I truly can't understand how anyone would pick anything else this week.

kdinva
September 14th, 2023, 11:14 AM
4: William & Mary Tribe
5: Furman Paladins
6: Holy Cross Crusaders
10: Incarnate Word Cardinals
11: Weber State Wildcats
12: UC Davis Aggies
13: North Dakota Fighting Hawks
16: Samford Bulldogs
17: Southeast Missouri State Redhawks
19: Villanova Wildcats
21: Rhode Island Rams
24: Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs
25: Campbell Fighting Camels

The Most Significant Win: Western Carolina Catamounts

Catbooster
September 14th, 2023, 11:16 AM
No, that is not the reasoning behind it. #1 vs #3 has massive title implications. This is probably the most significant OOC game of the entire season. There were other significant wins, but I truly can't understand how anyone would pick anything else this week.
I'm not trying to argue that you're wrong or anything. This is each voter's opinion and doesn't directly affect the poll rankings. It's interesting to see the different ways it's viewed.

But IMO, this reasoning would have led to voting this the most significant game regardless of who won the game (certainly, if MSU had won the same reasoning would hold up, and maybe even stronger as it would have altered some opinions of the teams as well). Using this criteria, I could have picked this as the most significant win before the game was played - perhaps before the season started.

Professor Chaos
September 14th, 2023, 12:04 PM
Personally, I look at most significant win/loss as the one that shakes up my poll ballot the most in any given week. But to each their own.

EDIT: Actually it's more accurate to say I look at it as the win or loss that most surprises me given my preconceived notions going into that game. Usually that's the win or loss that shakes up my poll ballot the most but not always.

OhioHen
September 14th, 2023, 12:19 PM
At least we've gotten away from having the most significant win and most significant loss be the same game. Some years that has been the rule rather than the exception.

taper
September 14th, 2023, 02:23 PM
I'm not trying to argue that you're wrong or anything. This is each voter's opinion and doesn't directly affect the poll rankings. It's interesting to see the different ways it's viewed.

But IMO, this reasoning would have led to voting this the most significant game regardless of who won the game (certainly, if MSU had won the same reasoning would hold up, and maybe even stronger as it would have altered some opinions of the teams as well). Using this criteria, I could have picked this as the most significant win before the game was played - perhaps before the season started.
As I said in an earlier post, yes, the winner of this was my MSW no matter who it was. The title implications are simply that high. There was nothing else this week that mattered more.
The upcoming SDSU/NDSU game is also huge, but as that's late in the season there will also be AQ and at-large bid games that week that are equally important. Debate over those is much more interesting.

ElCid
September 14th, 2023, 04:00 PM

That "may" be true, but only if both these teams perform as expected? anticipated? desired? If they each lose three games before the end of the season, it becomes not important at all, or at least a whole lot less important, especially for the 'week" they played. Just chewing on your reasoning a little. Again, not saying it isn't correct.

ElCid
September 14th, 2023, 04:01 PM
At least we've gotten away from having the most significant win and most significant loss be the same game. Some years that has been the rule rather than the exception.

Hear, hear!

ngineer
September 14th, 2023, 06:29 PM
Personally, I look at most significant win/loss as the one that shakes up my poll ballot the most in any given week. But to each their own.

EDIT: Actually it's more accurate to say I look at it as the win or loss that most surprises me given my preconceived notions going into that game. Usually that's the win or loss that shakes up my poll ballot the most but not always.

Agreed, here. I look at both categories in terms of not only the 'surprise' factor, but whether outcome had significant impact on standings/rankings. At times my "most significant loss" was a team that wasn't upset, but played at team it was supposed to lose to by a lot, and all but beat them.

ElCid
September 14th, 2023, 06:43 PM
Agreed, here. I look at both categories in terms of not only the 'surprise' factor, but whether outcome had significant impact on standings/rankings. At times my "most significant loss" was a team that wasn't upset, but played at team it was supposed to lose to by a lot, and all but beat them.

Exactly. An example of significant loss, in a good way, might be Central Arkansas, losing to NDSU (at home) by 3 in OT. That could easily be the most significant loss of the week. Or SDSU beating Drake, 10-7, in OT, could viewed as the most significant win, in a bad way.