View Full Version : Ferris State at Montana Game Thread - September 16, 2023

bonarae
September 10th, 2023, 05:23 AM
Can the Griz avoid a PFL team-type humiliation by stopping Ferris State's 28-game road winning streak? Or will Ferris State hand the Griz an undeserving reputation, at least for this season, by becoming the first-ever D-II to win at WaGriz? (At least to my knowledge)

Should be an exciting game at least.

mvemjsunpx
September 10th, 2023, 06:15 AM
Can the Griz avoid a PFL team-type humiliation by stopping Ferris State's 28-game road winning streak? Or will Ferris State hand the Griz an undeserving reputation, at least for this season, by becoming the first-ever D-II to win at WaGriz? (At least to my knowledge)

Should be an exciting game at least.

NDSU won in Missoula in 2003—NDSU's last year in DII, Bobby Hauck's first home game as coach. The Griz led 24-2 at halftime & blew it.

Also, Portland State won at WaGriz when they were still DII in 1987.

Professor Chaos
September 10th, 2023, 06:22 AM
Might be semantics about D1 exploratory years for but I know of a D2 team that did ok at WaGriz....

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1302623101126094849

Not sure that kind of lighting will strike twice though. Ferris St is probably an above average FCS team if they were FCS but they'll need some breaks to top the Griz in Missoula.

bonarae
September 10th, 2023, 08:08 PM
NDSU won in Missoula in 2003—NDSU's last year in DII, Bobby Hauck's first home game as coach. The Griz led 24-2 at halftime & blew it.

Also, Portland State won at WaGriz when they were still DII in 1987.

Were both D-II teams ranked at the time of those scalps? Ferris State is ranked and will still be ranked when they go to WaGriz.

mvemjsunpx
September 11th, 2023, 01:42 AM
Were both D-II teams ranked at the time of those scalps? Ferris State is ranked and will still be ranked when they go to WaGriz.

NDSU wasn't. The Bison were coming off a rare losing season in 2002.

For Portland State… I doubt it. They went to the title game in 1987, but they were just 6-5 in '86 (their win in Missoula was the season opener).

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 11th, 2023, 06:55 AM
When Ferris State came to the FD about a decade ago they were a heavy run team and they looked pretty good. Not sure if they run the same type of offense but they are the defending D2 champs. I'm sure they will play all 4 quarters and it will be a game the whole way.

CHIP72
September 11th, 2023, 09:44 AM
OT comment to this thread but related and relevant - there's ANOTHER strong FCS team vs top D2 team matchup this week with Florida A&M taking on West Florida. The Argos won the 2019 D2 national title and reached the D2 semifinals last year before losing to eventual champ Ferris State.

wapiti
September 11th, 2023, 10:07 AM
Has there ever been any rumors if Ferris State may reclassify to FCS?

CHIP72
September 11th, 2023, 10:16 AM
I will note Ferris State needed to come back in the 2nd half against Ashland (ranked #21 in D2 coming into last Saturday) to post a 38-28 road win. A few notes about both Ashland and other games related to that:

*Ashland started the season ranked #12 in D2 (they lost in the D2 regional semifinals/national round of 16 last season)

*Ashland fell on the road to IUP (who started the season ranked #16) 24-17 to start the season (IUP was also the team that knocked Ashland out of the D2 playoffs last year)

*IUP was upset at home by East Stroudsburg 13-12 this past Saturday (in part because IUP totally botched their clock management with a potential game-winning short FG in the last 20 seconds of regulation). ESU had been so-so the last couple of years, so that was a big road win for the Warriors. (NOTE: I follow both ESU and IUP.)

Summing up all of the above, it is possible both Ashland and IUP are a little weaker than expected, and the fact Ferris State struggled a bit with Ashland may mean Ferris isn't quite as strong as they were the last two years when they won the D2 national title both years.

CHIP72
September 11th, 2023, 10:23 AM

To my knowledge (and I don't follow D2 outside the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference that closely), the rumors are stronger with Grand Valley State (GVSU has a pretty large enrollment; they are also a D2 football power that was ranked #3 in the final, post-playoffs D2 poll last year, beating Ferris State in the regular season but losing to them in the playoffs), but I think Ferris State might come with them if GVSU moves up.

If GVSU and/or FSU moves up to DI-AA/FCS, the MVFC is their most obvious match conference-wise for football IMO.

bonarae
September 16th, 2023, 04:33 AM
Bumping this. IDK what will the score be, but it might be close...

Mike296
September 16th, 2023, 06:20 AM
To my knowledge (and I don't follow D2 outside the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference that closely), the rumors are stronger with Grand Valley State (GVSU has a pretty large enrollment; they are also a D2 football power that was ranked #3 in the final, post-playoffs D2 poll last year, beating Ferris State in the regular season but losing to them in the playoffs), but I think Ferris State might come with them if GVSU moves up.

If GVSU and/or FSU moves up to DI-AA/FCS, the MVFC is their most obvious match conference-wise for football IMO.

If both of them move up(FSU and GVSU) you have to think that there’s a possibility that St Thomas gets an invite too given their ties to the summit League already. My guess is in the next 10 -15 years we’ll see all three in the MVFC/Summit League.

Edit: Should say that I’m not sure if any of them gets an invite unless any of the Dakotas move up to G5 or we get more movement towards other conference configurations A la WIU to the OVC.

crusader11
September 16th, 2023, 07:28 AM
Can anyone shed light why Montana scheduled this game?

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2023, 10:20 AM

I don't know if it was reputable or not, but there was a rumor the OVC was looking at GVSU and Ferris after Jax St and EKU left for the ASUN.

grizband
September 16th, 2023, 11:26 AM
I assume for an extra home game, with a lower payout than another FCS team.

Roamingriz
September 16th, 2023, 12:15 PM
I had heard on a local podcast that it may have been a case of a team dropping out due to a move up and needing a fill in home game. But they couldn't point to who, couldn't substantiate

POD Knows
September 16th, 2023, 12:40 PM
I had heard on a local podcast that it may have been a case of a team dropping out due to a move up and needing a fill in home game. But they couldn't point to who, couldn't substantiate
Scheduling Ferris State is better than scheduling Drake, which UND, NDSU and SDSU have done in the past couple years. I get that they are D2 and the game could hurt playoff chances but they are probably a better football team than a lot of the Pioneer.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 16th, 2023, 01:23 PM
Scheduling Ferris State is better than scheduling Drake, which UND, NDSU and SDSU have done in the past couple years. I get that they are D2 and the game could hurt playoff chances but they are probably a better football team than a lot of the Pioneer.

Agree 100% but it is about the playoffs for most of us so this is a disadvantage that we might have wanted to avoid this year. I think Ferris would be a Top 25 team in FCS but it is hard to guage. What is your thought on it since you probably have a bit more of a link to what the good D2 might rank against FCS?

SeattleCat
September 16th, 2023, 01:58 PM
The Griz will handle Ferris easily. I'm going with 42-17 score.

Mike296
September 16th, 2023, 04:01 PM
Someone else had a dream about the Holy Cross game earlier. Well I have a weird feeling that this game might go in a different way than we probably think it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeamMeUp
September 16th, 2023, 08:28 PM
Ferris State up 10-3 at half.

Herder
September 16th, 2023, 08:38 PM

that’s a question that only candy asses ask. If MT was up 3 scores, no one brings it up.

crusader11
September 16th, 2023, 08:44 PM
that’s a question that only candy asses ask. If MT was up 3 scores, no one brings it up.

I asked the question before the game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2023, 08:48 PM
Once SEMO and SIU is over I'm going to lock into this one. Should be a great second half...

NDSU1980
September 16th, 2023, 09:09 PM
Scheduling Ferris State is better than scheduling Drake, which UND, NDSU and SDSU have done in the past couple years. I get that they are D2 and the game could hurt playoff chances but they are probably a better football team than a lot of the Pioneer.NDSU scheduled a D2 back 10 years ago or so when Montana State chickened out and bought the game out late. I can't remember who NDSU got in but it never hurt them with the playoffs IIRC.

ElCid
September 16th, 2023, 09:12 PM
NDSU scheduled a D2 back 10 years ago or so when Montana State chickened out and bought the game out late. I can't remember who NDSU got in but it never hurt them with the playoffs IIRC.

It will hurt if they lose...

POD Knows
September 16th, 2023, 09:30 PM
Agree 100% but it is about the playoffs for most of us so this is a disadvantage that we might have wanted to avoid this year. I think Ferris would be a Top 25 team in FCS but it is hard to guage. What is your thought on it since you probably have a bit more of a link to what the good D2 might rank against FCS?
Well. You are watching the game I am sure. Ferris State can ball. They would beat Drake and Stetson by a ton

POD Knows
September 16th, 2023, 09:31 PM
NDSU scheduled a D2 back 10 years ago or so when Montana State chickened out and bought the game out late. I can't remember who NDSU got in but it never hurt them with the playoffs IIRC.
Yea we did. Ferris State and beat them 50 something to a lot less.

Chalupa Batman
September 16th, 2023, 09:40 PM
Yea we did. Ferris State and beat them 50 something to a lot less.

And that was the first time College Gameday came to Fargo.

Preferred Walk-On
September 16th, 2023, 09:42 PM
And that was the first time College Gameday came to Fargo.

I thought that was Delaware State (1st CGD), was it not?

POD Knows
September 16th, 2023, 09:44 PM

This. Also Montana begging for holding calls against a D2 is priceless.

Chalupa Batman
September 16th, 2023, 09:45 PM

Yeah you're right, good call! I thought it was the week after the win over Kansas State but it was 2 weeks later.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2023, 10:03 PM
Griz with a scoop and score to seal it!

POD Knows
September 16th, 2023, 10:08 PM
These announcers are idiots. I was screaming at the TV that his leg was down.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2023, 10:18 PM
The last minute felt like an eternity!

Griz do hold on 17-10....

Utgrizfan
September 16th, 2023, 10:19 PM
Pretty sure that was a fumble, ugly win but holy hell I'll take it

POD Knows
September 16th, 2023, 10:40 PM
Nope. Leg hit the ground first. They showed the replay about 6 times on TV. Everybody, including your announcers kept looking at the arm and the hand.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 16th, 2023, 10:44 PM

When you get offered a good deal of money from an FBS at that point in MSU's evolution, I think you go with it. I'm a fan of yours 7980 but nobody is afraid to play NDSU. You know you probably get an ass kicking but you relish the opportunity to take it the other way. Nobody but FBS is afraid, which for the exact same reason we should have looked elsewhere tor a counter.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 16th, 2023, 10:49 PM
Well. You are watching the game I am sure. Ferris State can ball. They would beat Drake and Stetson by a ton

Oh hell yes, I mean that is easy to say now that it's over but me and MR Titleist were going with that on Monday on twitter and the podcast guys...whatever their names are...were in line with you and I on the matter.

They are big, they are fast, their schemes seems really f'n good. Just a super solid all around team and I could give a **** less if anyone thinks we should have won by a larger margin. That team is as good as the Griz are right now minus a few plays. So drop us out if you think they were not better than 90 teams in the FCS cuz they were tonight.

POD Knows
September 16th, 2023, 10:49 PM
When you get offered a good deal of money from an FBS at that point in MSU's evolution, I think you go with it. I'm a fan of yours 7980 but nobody is afraid to play NDSU. You know you probably get an ass kicking but you relish the opportunity to take it the other way. Nobody but FBS is afraid, which for the exact same reason we should have looked elsewhere tor a counter.
You guys dodged a bullet tonight. They must not blitz much in D2 because Ferris was completely lost on offense in the second half. Montanas offense looks really bad however. Second game I have watched and they aren’t too impressive at this point in the year.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 16th, 2023, 10:52 PM

He was down. Tough to see in real time but very clear in replay.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 16th, 2023, 10:53 PM
22 people short of 27,000 for attendance.

uofmman1122
September 17th, 2023, 12:02 AM
Man. Ferris was really good. By far the best team we’ve played so far this year.

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2023, 07:06 AM
Man. Ferris was really good. By far the best team we’ve played so far this year.

I was very interested to see how the D2 Champs fared out in Montana

FCS overall is on the fall and it happened quick. Still good teams but lots of D2 teams beating mid level FCS teams or so it seems

POD Knows
September 17th, 2023, 09:08 AM
Oh hell yes, I mean that is easy to say now that it's over but me and MR Titleist were going with that on Monday on twitter and the podcast guys...whatever their names are...were in line with you and I on the matter.

They are big, they are fast, their schemes seems really f'n good. Just a super solid all around team and I could give a **** less if anyone thinks we should have won by a larger margin. That team is as good as the Griz are right now minus a few plays. So drop us out if you think they were not better than 90 teams in the FCS cuz they were tonight.
Ferris can ball, no doubt, and they would beat a lot of teams, they would beat multiple teams in the MVFC. They are tough on D but they seemed lost on offense in the second half. Didn’t seem to know how to handle blitz’s. I doubt anybody tries to blitz them at the D2 level. I am sure that a fair number of fans looked past Ferris but I doubt the people that watch or know football did and I am sure your coaching staff didn’t.

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2023, 09:13 AM
Ferris can ball, no doubt, and they would beat a lot of teams, they would beat multiple teams in the MVFC. They are tough on D but they seemed lost on offense in the second half. Didn’t seem to know how to handle blitz’s. I doubt anybody tries to blitz them at the D2 level. I am sure that a fair number of fans looked past Ferris but I doubt the people that watch or know football did and I am sure your coaching staff didn’t.

Totally agree and how can I vote for them in the top 25 poll

ysubigred
September 17th, 2023, 10:52 AM

FCS overall is on the fall and it happened quick. Still good teams but lots of D2 teams beating mid level FCS teams or so it seemsI'm not sure about that.. the top DII teams back in the early 90s gave YSU fits, I don't believe there is much of a drop off from top DII teams and top mid pack FCS teams.

Would be interested in seeing an SDSU vs. GA game on a neutral site. Or, to be fair, a 10-20th ranked FBS vs. SDSU, I think that drop-off would be about the same as FCS to DII top tier. The transfer portal and NIL, as much as I don't like it, have leveled out the competition.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2023, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure about that.. the top DII teams back in the early 90s gave YSU fits, I don't believe there is much of a drop off from top DII teams and top mid pack FCS teams.

Would be interested in seeing an SDSU vs. GA game on a neutral site. Or, to be fair, a 10-20th ranked FBS vs. SDSU, I think that drop-off would be about the same as FCS to DII top tier. The transfer portal and NIL, as much as I don't like it, have leveled out the competition.

I’m not talking about the best of FCS Bigred, it’s more about the lower mid level and bottom rungs of FCS that seem worse than ever

ursus arctos horribilis
September 17th, 2023, 02:06 PM
I’m not talking about the best of FCS Bigred, it’s more about the lower mid level and bottom rungs of FCS that seem worse than ever

Man I don't think that is really the case. I think some power has shifted in conferences and went down a little in the CAA and the SoCon from 20 and 30 yrs. ago but the shift has been to other conferences so I think that overall it is pretty similar just shifted a bit. So why am I talking conferences here...well it is the only way I see to sort of break down the strength of the lower 1/2 of the division for comparison. If we judge any of the playoff conferences do you really think the lower 1/2 of any of those conferences is less than it was back then?

I just don't think that is the case. My perspective could be skewed the other way from yours though because the BSC is stronger now than I have ever seen it and that includes when Nevada and Boise were still in it.

ysubigred
September 17th, 2023, 02:56 PM
I’m not talking about the best of FCS Bigred, it’s more about the lower mid level and bottom rungs of FCS that seem worse than everAgreed, actually, the same can be said at the FBS level.

putter
September 17th, 2023, 03:16 PM
I looked at their size on the D-Line and wondered if they were legit or just big/fat guys. They are for real and three of their players are in NFL watch lists one was 6’5 348 lbs and moved all over the field. Some crazy calls, like reversing Bergen’s catch after he took 5 steps, which hurt but that happens. Once again I am concerned about the O, even after changing coordinators. Hope they polish up, starting with a pathetic NAU team.

taper
September 17th, 2023, 03:42 PM
Sorry, but this was still a jerk move by MSU. We scheduled a home and home, played in Bozeman 2005. Return game in Fargo was scheduled for 2007, which MSU pushed back to 2013, then cancelled. Not just cancelled, but did it in late February. There were *no* available D1 games to replace them that late. There's no possible way to defend this lack of class.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 17th, 2023, 05:03 PM
Sorry, but this was still a jerk move by MSU. We scheduled a home and home, played in Bozeman 2005. Return game in Fargo was scheduled for 2007, which MSU pushed back to 2013, then cancelled. Not just cancelled, but did it in late February. There were *no* available D1 games to replace them that late. There's no possible way to defend this lack of class.

Sorry man, if you are not an NDSU fan it isn't so black and white. Everybody has budgets, it is a business like it or not. MSU paid for the buyout right? Then you got a team in to play at home make the gate anyway. So it financially it was probably better for both teams but it certainly was for MSU and they have to make decisions based on that.

As a fan do I like it? Hell no.

taper
September 17th, 2023, 05:32 PM
Sorry man, if you are not an NDSU fan it isn't so black and white. Everybody has budgets, it is a business like it or not. MSU paid for the buyout right? Then you got a team in to play at home make the gate anyway. So it financially it was probably better for both teams but it certainly was for MSU and they have to make decisions based on that.

Sorry man, but it's still a jerk move. We had buyouts vs Georgia Southern in 2012, Montana St in 2013, and Western Carolina in 2016. I believe that's more than the entire rest of the subdivision in that time period. At what point does a pattern become a trend? These were also all on very short notice that left us struggling to fill the schedule. Yes I'm still bitter over this, and can you blame me? Cancelling contracts is always classless.

MSUBobcat
September 17th, 2023, 05:59 PM
Sorry man, but it's still a jerk move. We had buyouts vs Georgia Southern in 2012, Montana St in 2013, and Western Carolina in 2016. I believe that's more than the entire rest of the subdivision in that time period. At what point does a pattern become a trend? These were also all on very short notice that left us struggling to fill the schedule. Yes I'm still bitter over this, and can you blame me? Cancelling contracts is always classless.

Jebus man... you're still bitter about a game 10 years ago? I wish my life was so simple that something so insignificant could be bothering me 10 years later. If you want to blame someone, blame your AD for making it so much more profitable to cancel the contract than to execute it. If you had 3 contracts cancelled in 5 years, that tells me the buyout, which NDSU agreed to, was too low and when a higher bidder came along, NDSU got the short end of the stick. I used to feel bad about it, but if it happened that often... now I think it's pretty f'ing hilarious.

dewey
September 17th, 2023, 06:39 PM

Completely agree from a business standpoint. It was also....10....years.....ago.

We as, FCS fans, should realize the top of the FCS can play with a LOT of the FBS teams just like the top of D2 can play with the FCS.

Dewey

taper
September 17th, 2023, 07:35 PM
People still aren't getting it. That teams bought us out to avoid competition 10 years ago isn't the issue, it's that people are still defending that classless decision 10 years on.

POD Knows
September 17th, 2023, 08:23 PM
People still aren't getting it. That teams bought us out to avoid competition 10 years ago isn't the issue, it's that people are still defending that classless decision 10 years on.
We have bitch slapped MSU so many times since then that they should just forfeit the next time we play them. I am serious. What is the average margin of victory that we have had since the move up to D1 against those soft little pussies.

ysubigred
September 18th, 2023, 07:27 AM
We have bitch slapped MSU so many times since then that they should just forfeit the next time we play them. I am serious. What is the average margin of victory that we have had since the move up to D1 against those soft little pussies.Go Bizzoonnn!! My team..

POD Knows
September 18th, 2023, 08:22 AM
Go Bizzoonnn!! My team..

Welcome aboard. I am still salty over MSU choking away that game at SDSU recently.

SeattleCat
September 18th, 2023, 08:30 AM
We have bitch slapped MSU so many times since then that they should just forfeit the next time we play them. I am serious. What is the average margin of victory that we have had since the move up to D1 against those soft little pussies.

I really REALLY hope we play the Bison in the playoffs this year.

SeattleCat
September 18th, 2023, 08:32 AM
Welcome aboard. I am still salty over MSU choking away that game at SDSU recently.

This is what happens when you play to not lose and not play to win... Housewright needs a size 14 shoe up his ass for that performance.

Bisonator
September 18th, 2023, 08:46 AM
Oh really REALLY? :D

POD Knows
September 18th, 2023, 09:24 AM
This is what happens when you play to not lose and not play to win... Housewright needs a size 14 shoe up his ass for that performance.
The pre snap penalties just ate you guys up. Honestly, without the penalties this game might not have been close. If it is what it is.

BisonFan02
September 18th, 2023, 10:39 AM

CEEEEEE A T S! Bobcats! *YMCA Dance*

Professor Chaos
September 18th, 2023, 10:43 AM
CEEEEEE A T S! Bobcats! *YMCA Dance*
I'll never let it die!!!! ...as long as this grainy video of a video (since they took down the original) is still up at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfRsHuu1vWs

SeattleCat
September 18th, 2023, 11:03 AM
The pre snap penalties just ate you guys up. Honestly, without the penalties this game might not have been close. If it is what it is.

Without a doubt, the crowd at brookings was a great assist form them, just like bobcat stadium is for us. Personally I think a little more creativity would have easily won this game for us, we should have attempted some sort of passing game to keep SDSU honest but we didn't. We ran the same 4 plays straight into probably the best defense in FCS that was sending 8-9 guys downhill knowing exactly what was coming. That was tough to watch.

It's also tough to watch the Offensive coordinator call plays for our backup that are meant for Tommy, the fact we can't cater plays specifically for Sean, aka QB power, he's a down hill runner not a guy whose going to beat everyone to the corner and burn up field. Also our 3rd string QB whose suppose to be a great passer, throws a nice short and middle ball but his deep accuracy is terrible, and them have him throw fades for a whole half... I mean jesus christ you've got gems but can't use them... Hopefully Tommy is back next week and this isn't a problem anymore.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 18th, 2023, 11:56 AM

Sorry man, I think you are not taking into account that I agree that it sucks a little bit. It is mitigated mightily by the fact that budgets have to be bolstered and I think if NDSU is getting the shaft on some games they gotta make that buyout really hurt. But you are not breaking a contract if you follow the rules in the 4 corners of that document correct?

NDSU got paid and then got home ticket revenues. You guys got some of the SMU money, MSU took some and then they almost beat them so if they had won that they also get that bump. They wouldn't have beat you, not a chance, so I don't think they were looking to dodge but if you have a chance at more money and a chance at a higher profile win then as a school you do that.

To me it would have been higher profile to beat NDSU but to the outsiders it probably would have been the other way around. 2013 NDSU team was a top 3 all time FCS team.

BisonFan02
September 18th, 2023, 06:33 PM
Sorry man, I think you are not taking into account that I agree that it sucks a little bit. It is mitigated mightily by the fact that budgets have to be bolstered and I think if NDSU is getting the shaft on some games they gotta make that buyout really hurt. But you are not breaking a contract if you follow the rules in the 4 corners of that document correct?

NDSU got paid and then got home ticket revenues. You guys got some of the SMU money, MSU took some and then they almost beat them so if they had won that they also get that bump. They wouldn't have beat you, not a chance, so I don't think they were looking to dodge but if you have a chance at more money and a chance at a higher profile win then as a school you do that.

To me it would have been higher profile to beat NDSU but to the outsiders it probably would have been the other way around. 2013 NDSU team was a top 3 all time FCS team.

is it?

SU DOG
September 18th, 2023, 10:03 PM
Because of reading this thread I had to go watch the replay of this game. What a slobber-knocker! What I enjoyed as much as anything, however, was watching the views of that loud crowd. What a gameday atmosphere there must be at that stadium!

CHIP72
September 19th, 2023, 09:53 AM

FCS overall is on the fall and it happened quick. Still good teams but lots of D2 teams beating mid level FCS teams or so it seems

I don’t really agree with this. IMO the very best DI-AA/FCS teams could beat 75-80% of DI-A/FBS teams and the very best D2 teams could beat 75-80% of DI-AA/FCS teams. The very best D2 teams would probably be ranked teams if they played in DI-AA/FCS…but the very best DI-AA/FCS teams would have a very good chance to be ranked if they played in DI-A/FBS.

dewey
September 19th, 2023, 01:25 PM
I don’t really agree with this. IMO the very best DI-AA/FCS teams could beat 75-80% of DI-A/FBS teams and the very best D2 teams could beat 75-80% of DI-AA/FCS teams. The very best D2 teams would probably be ranked teams if they played in DI-AA/FCS…but the very best DI-AA/FCS teams would have a very good chance to be ranked if they played in DI-A/FBS.

Agree with this. Ferris State would be a top 20 team in the FCS for sure. Just like SDSU would be a top 25 team in the FBS.

Dewey

putter
September 19th, 2023, 02:27 PM
I am fine with Montana flying under the radar after the Ferris St. game. Look at their roster, they are D2 in name only. They were big, fast, and had only lost 3 games in 8 years. I believe 3 of their players are being looked at for the NFL. Now everyone is 0-0 and the race to the playoffs begin.

uofmman1122
September 19th, 2023, 03:15 PM
I honestly am not sure there's a DL in the Big Sky as talented as the 4 guys on the Ferris line. #8 and #91 were insane.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2023, 03:22 PM
OMG .... is there an end date scheduled for this...

https://melmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/1caZkqwc26vNPHgGJ9bySUA.jpeg

...over a Big Sky Team almost getting cut by a D2 Team ... a Team which the Griz have 75% more scholarships than.

FBS Teams only have 35% more scholarships than FCS Teams...

So...a fully-funded FCS Team beating a D2 Team is not even half as hard as an FBS Team beating a fully-funded FCS Team.

74 more posts about how Ferris Wheel State is really better than the '85 Bears is not going to get the Playoff Committee to add a D2 Win to Montana's wins for Playoff / Seeding consideration....

...oh wait....hold on ...Montana IS in the Big Sky Conference ... so...they most certainly might count it...if y'all do what you do...enough....

Carry on. Sorry for the interruption. Keep on strokin'

Catbooster
September 19th, 2023, 07:54 PM
OMG .... is there an end date scheduled for this...

...over a Big Sky Team almost getting cut by a D2 Team ... a Team which the Griz have 75% more scholarships than.

FBS Teams only have 35% more scholarships than FCS Teams...

So...a fully-funded FCS Team beating a D2 Team is not even half as hard as an FBS Team beating a fully-funded FCS Team.

74 more posts about how Ferris Wheel State is really better than the '85 Bears is not going to get the Playoff Committee to add a D2 Win to Montana's wins for Playoff / Seeding consideration....

...oh wait....hold on ...Montana IS in the Big Sky Conference ... so...they most certainly might count it...if y'all do what you do...enough....

Carry on. Sorry for the interruption. Keep on strokin'

As much as I don't want to appear to be siding with the grizzlies, that argument is probably less meaningful than using the transitive property on scores. Unless I've misunderstood how getting scholarship players works all of these years. Do all the recruits get put in a pool and every school, regardless of level, gets to pick a player for their team? So the DII recruit is roughly equivalent to the P5 recruit?

Number of scholarships certainly has an effect, but IMO there are a few other factors in the quality of a team than how many scholarships they've given.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2023, 08:20 PM
As much as I don't want to appear to be siding with the grizzlies, that argument is probably less meaningful than using the transitive property on scores. Unless I've misunderstood how getting scholarship players works all of these years. Do all the recruits get put in a pool and every school, regardless of level, gets to pick a player for their team? So the DII recruit is roughly equivalent to the P5 recruit?

Number of scholarships certainly has an effect, but IMO there are a few other factors in the quality of a team than how many scholarships they've given.So you're saying - "No worries, Mr. NCAA. We'll be just fine. C'mon on in here and take away 27 scholarships from my Bobcats. IMO there are a few other factors in the quality of our team than how many scholarships we're allowed to give."

Right? Cuz...that's the argument you're making here.

ysubigred
September 19th, 2023, 08:40 PM
So you're saying - "No worries, Mr. NCAA. We'll be just fine. C'mon on in here and take away 27 scholarships from my Bobcats. IMO there are a few other factors in the quality of our team than how many scholarships we're allowed to give."

Right? Cuz...that's the argument you're making here.I see my training is wearing on you well grasshopper.. give em' hell [emoji106]

Catbooster
September 20th, 2023, 12:04 AM
So you're saying - "No worries, Mr. NCAA. We'll be just fine. C'mon on in here and take away 27 scholarships from my Bobcats. IMO there are a few other factors in the quality of our team than how many scholarships we're allowed to give."

Nope. Not what I said (nor implied), other than that there are other factors in the success of a team than the number of scholarships. Since you seem to be disputing that, it seems you are arguing that there are no other significant aspects to a football program's success than the number of scholarships - not the coaching, facilities, quality of recruits, etc.

POD Knows
September 20th, 2023, 08:49 AM

Ferris State would probably win the SoCon with less schollies, xcoffeex

caribbeanhen
September 20th, 2023, 09:20 AM
Man I don't think that is really the case. I think some power has shifted in conferences and went down a little in the CAA and the SoCon from 20 and 30 yrs. ago but the shift has been to other conferences so I think that overall it is pretty similar just shifted a bit. So why am I talking conferences here...well it is the only way I see to sort of break down the strength of the lower 1/2 of the division for comparison. If we judge any of the playoff conferences do you really think the lower 1/2 of any of those conferences is less than it was back then?

I just don't think that is the case. My perspective could be skewed the other way from yours though because the BSC is stronger now than I have ever seen it and that includes when Nevada and Boise were still in it.

So where is the line between FCS and D2 today?

FUBeAR
September 20th, 2023, 09:22 AM
Ferris State would probably win the SoCon with less schollies, xcoffeex
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/012/113/join_in_the_internet_circle_jerk_print-ra11ce31c7e7d40d78d37d8a5a1e777f5_zod_400.jpg
Thanks for your effort! FUBeAR knew we could count on you to be the anchor pivot man in this exercise.

POD Knows
September 20th, 2023, 09:29 AM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/012/113/join_in_the_internet_circle_jerk_print-ra11ce31c7e7d40d78d37d8a5a1e777f5_zod_400.jpg
Thanks for your effort! FUBeAR knew we could count on you to be the anchor pivot man in this exercise.
I think NDSU beat Montana when NDSU was D2 and that was when Montana was good. 😀

AmsterBison
September 20th, 2023, 09:35 AM
Oh really REALLY? :D

Wishing to play NDSU in the playoffs is something that would make an evil genie shrug.

NDSU as an underdog in the playoffs is like a wounded bear at a children's birthday party. Sure, there might be survivors, but it's not going to be fun and games.