PDA

View Full Version : GSU Announces Plans for FBS Feasibility Study

Pages : [1] 2 3

EagleCreekH20
November 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I got an email today from good ol' GSU talking about a Feasibility Study

Georgia Southern Announces Plans for FBS Feasibility Study

The external feasibility study will provide a comprehensive systematic assessment of the requirements for, and impact of, a potential move.

STATESBORO, Ga. - Georgia Southern University Athletics Director Sam Baker announced Thursday (Nov. 29) plans to commission an external feasibility study regarding potential movement of its football program from the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-AA) to the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-A).

The study will provide a comprehensive systematic assessment of the requirements for, and impact of, a potential move. The commissioning of the study, which comes at the start of the NCAA four-year moratorium on moving from the FCS to the FBS, is currently in its planning stages. Further details will be released as they become available.

Its ABOUT TIME! xbeerchugx

Ready...Set...Debate...

FightinBluHen51
November 29th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Why?

Blue Hen Nation
November 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM
So they can fall into obscurity like WKU and countless others. xnodx

ButlerGSU
November 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM
STATESBORO, Ga. - Georgia Southern University Athletics Director Sam Baker announced Thursday (Nov. 29) plans to commission an external feasibility study regarding potential movement of its football program from the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-AA) to the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-A).

The study will provide a comprehensive systematic assessment of the requirements for, and impact of, a potential move. The commissioning of the study, which comes at the start of the NCAA four-year moratorium on moving from the FCS to the FBS, is currently in its planning stages. Further details will be released as they become available.

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=1329814&DB_OEM_ID=18700

FightinBluHen51
November 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
So they can fall into obscurity like WKU and countless others. xnodx
I'd hate to see a big powerhouse of I-AA leave for the mediocrity of I-A non-BCS.

FurmanPaladins4138
November 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Would hate to see you guys leave along with our rivalry.

Appaholic
November 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Enjoy playing for the PapaJohn's.com.Mieneke.Motor City.Turd-Floating-In-A Toilet Bowl Title...........xcoffeex

lizrdgizrd
November 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I wonder if this is in reaction to the growing possibility of an FBS playoff. xeyebrowx

FurmanPaladins4138
November 29th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I'd hate to see a big powerhouse of I-AA leave for the mediocrity of I-A non-BCS.

EXACTLY!!! Why on earth would you go to FBS?...for one thing, my opinion aside, I think GSU would be beyond mediocre in FBS. They would be consistently at the bottom, year in and year out. Sorry.

appstate38
November 29th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Hey wait.... Don't you guys have to get the permission of the other SoCon members first. We ain't giving it... so you guys gotta stay in the FCS where you belong!

Seven Would Be Nice
November 29th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I think after this year, more and more top NCAA officials are going to seriously consider moving to some sort of bowl/playoff hybrid system. By the time we move up, the BCS will be a horrible dream that will finally be over.

citdog
November 29th, 2007, 03:57 PM
don't let the door hit oyu in the ass on the way out. good riddance!

Seven Would Be Nice
November 29th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Don't worry citdog, I'm sure we'll schedule y'all for homecoming still. xlolx xlolx

welcome back btw.

appfan2008
November 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM
dont go... not a good idea... stay here stay on top... dont jump up and sit on the bottom... stupid idea why would you not want to be one the top dogs anymore???

appfan2008
November 29th, 2007, 04:01 PM
i guess you all dont want to play for a real championship...

ButlerGSU
November 29th, 2007, 04:02 PM
It is important to note this is only a study, it present goals for our program and outline a plan to move forward in the future. It is not an automatic assumption that we will move up. However, it is a real possibility depending on a conference fit.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 29th, 2007, 04:02 PM
dont go... not a good idea... stay here stay on top... dont jump up and sit on the bottom... stupid idea why would you not want to be one the top dogs anymore???

Because we are the "Top Dogs" of the "TOY" category of the AKC. Wouldn't you rather be a middle of the pack in a category that matters?

ButlerGSU
November 29th, 2007, 04:03 PM
It is important to note this is only a study, it present goals for our program and outline a plan to move forward in the future. It is not an automatic assumption that we will move up. However, it is a real possibility depending on a conference fit.

appfan2008
November 29th, 2007, 04:04 PM
what conference opening would be good enough in a GSU fans opinion???

ButlerGSU
November 29th, 2007, 04:06 PM
what conference opening would be good enough in a GSU fans opinion???

Rumor has it, the Big East wants to add about 4 teams in order to divide the conference in two and have a championship game similar to what the ACC just did and what the SEC has done for years...

I'm not saying but I'm just saying...

Blue Hen Nation
November 29th, 2007, 04:09 PM
EXACTLY!!! Why on earth would you go to FBS?...for one thing, my opinion aside, I think GSU would be beyond mediocre in FBS. They would be consistently at the bottom, year in and year out. Sorry.

Money ruins all great things. xnodx

GoldandBlack
November 29th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Because we are the "Top Dogs" of the "TOY" category of the AKC. Wouldn't you rather be a middle of the pack in a category that matters?

Whatever GSU decides will hopefully be the will of their fans.

From my viewpoint, except for the movie, Marshall's name recognition is no greater now than it was when they were in the SoCon. I know Boise State can be cited as the exception, but there are many more teams that moved up languishing than there are hitting the big time.

Top of the pack in an ignored FCS division, or middle of the pack in an ignored conference in the BCS when only the top conferences are given any coverage- what's the diff? Oh, yeah, I forgot- the chance to play on ESPN on Thursday night.xrolleyesx

One final point- once you move up, you can forget adding to those 6 National Championship flags at Paulson.xtwocentsx

appfan2008
November 29th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Rumor has it, the Big East wants to add about 4 teams in order to divide the conference in two and have a championship game similar to what the ACC just did and what the SEC has done for years...

i thought you all might say that... i think that is the only conference that you all better consider... other wise it aint worth it...

GoldandBlack
November 29th, 2007, 04:15 PM
i thought you all might say that... i think that is the only conference that you all better consider... other wise it aint worth it...

Agree 100%- anything less- xthumbsdownx

lizrdgizrd
November 29th, 2007, 04:16 PM

You really think the Big East would take a move-up team? I think it more likely that they'd raid CUSA and then GSU would have a shot at CUSA. xtwocentsx

Appaholic
November 29th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Maybe you guys can play Marshall in the WhoCares.com Futility Bowl..xthumbsupx

appmountaineer
November 29th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Probably the more likely scenario...I just don't think GSU should move up at all. But i'm biased towards FCS...regardless of the media attention.

MplsBison
November 29th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I think the FBS has shown that it's committed to providing access to the non BCS schools.

Utah, Boise, and this year (most likely) Hawaii show that it can be done.

Now, certainly there are 2 tiers of financial commitment in the world of non BCS FBS. You have the CUSA, WAC and MWC and you have the Sun Belt and MAC.

If you can eventually get into that upper tier of financial commitment, then you certainly can acheive a decent level of success in FBS.

Otherwise, if you can only reach the level of the Sun Belt or MAC, then you might want to consider staying in FCS.

appfan2008
November 29th, 2007, 04:21 PM
no matter what obscurity is in their future if they move up....

GaSouthern
November 29th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Anything but SunBelt and i'm for moving up!

appfan2008
November 29th, 2007, 04:24 PM
you would go for cusa or mac???

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
November 29th, 2007, 04:25 PM

If you make the move 10 to 1 you end up in the Suck Belt

GaSouthern
November 29th, 2007, 04:34 PM
you would go for cusa or mac???

Due to location, I don't think we would ever go mac.

CUSA, HECK yeah.

FCS Preview
November 29th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Even Boise State, for all their success last year, had no chance at the MNC. To get into a BCS bowl, you need to go unbeaten if you're in a crappy conference. But I hear Detroit is lovely in December.

mrklean
November 29th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Its about damn time!!!

I really hope App ST. moves up with us. I hate to see us leave without a real rival!!!!!!!!

hebmskebm
November 29th, 2007, 04:40 PM
sadly, going 6-6 or 5-7 year in year out in the fbs will bring a program more "mainstream" notice than staying fcs ever could.

EDIT: barring a win over say, Michigan

mrklean
November 29th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Watch the Haters come out!!!!!!!!

AppMan
November 29th, 2007, 04:42 PM

The Citadel gets one step closer to making the playoffs!

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 04:43 PM
It would be STUPID! Like someone said before, you could never win another National Championship. "Seven Would Be Nice" would have to change his name, because I would have a better shot at winning the lottery than GSU woulod of winning a FBS National Championship. That's one reason I hate D-1 basketball- There's NO SUBDIVISIONS. Schools like Wofford, GSU, and High Point are competeing basically for the same championship as Duke, UNC, UCLA, etc., and it makes NO sense. I think there should be two different levels of d-1 basketball, each with its own playoffs and champion, but that's another topic. Getting back to GSU, please don't go. We'd miss you. :( xbawlingx

AppMan
November 29th, 2007, 04:45 PM

You are barking up the wrong tree!

AppMan
November 29th, 2007, 04:46 PM
You really think the Big East would take a move-up team? I think it more likely that they'd raid CUSA and then GSU would have a shot at CUSA. xtwocentsx

Ever heard of South Florida???

appmountaineer
November 29th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I agree, how can you you call FCS a toy category?

McDABest
November 29th, 2007, 04:47 PM

xnonox Uh, NO!! It does not matter what division you are in. McNeese has stepped down from I-A one time. Also, I thought that we would probably lose to ULL because they were a "bigger school," xoopsx but as always we "WHUPPED" them. THEY HAVE ONLY WON 2 GAMES AGAINST McNEESE IN 26 YEARS!!!! xnodx xnodx We beat ULM in 2003, too. It does not matter what division you are in. People want to win, so recruiting stays pretty much the same for you. Even if you go to the FBS, you WON'T be better off!!

Still, anything can happen. For example Boise St., but I still hate the idea of going to the FBS if you are a powerhouse in the FCS because there is more to football than money. If you go there to win at a higher level, like you should, you might want to know that no team that has originated from the FCS has won the FBS's JOKE NC game.

AppMan
November 29th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Its about damn time!!!

I really hope App ST. moves up with us. I hate to see us leave without a real rival!!!!!!!!

In spite of what you read on this board there is a ton of ASU folks who think the same way.

lizrdgizrd
November 29th, 2007, 04:49 PM
They were only in AA as a pit-stop and were never a staple in the IAA world. GSU has been a major team in IAA since they started football again.

brownbear
November 29th, 2007, 04:53 PM

UConn too, and they were a lousy I-AA team.

lizrdgizrd
November 29th, 2007, 04:57 PM
UConn too, and they were a lousy I-AA team.
But UConn (as has been pointed out countless times) was already playing Big East every sport but football. Natural fit.

ERASU2113
November 29th, 2007, 05:00 PM
It's been talked about in Boone for a long time. My freshman year (2004) the school administration wanted to get student's impact on the possibility of moving up. That's when we were 6-5.

It's not talked about as much right now, even though some people want us to go up....and some want us to stay in the SoCon.

To become a hot topic around ASU....they'll want to finish the renovations on Kidd Brewer first. Guarantee it.

blueballs
November 29th, 2007, 05:05 PM
i guess you all dont want to play for a real championship...

Sure we do... but the committee selected other teams instead of ours despite the fact we had road wins over two of the remaining eight and the same record as another team who lost last weekend as it is painfully obvious that GSU was better this year than at least 4 of the teams who were defeated last week.

ERASU2113
November 29th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Go ahead and move up. We'll still schedle you guys so we can say we beat an FBS team every year! :D

Seriously, stay put. The SoCon would lose some luster

AppMan
November 29th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I think there should be two different levels of d-1 basketball, each with its own playoffs and champion, but that's another topic.

You have GOT to be kidding!!!

GoldandBlack
November 29th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Sure we do... but the committee selected other teams instead of ours despite the fact we had road wins over two of the remaining eight and the same record as another team who lost last weekend as it is painfully obvious that GSU was better this year than at least 4 of the teams who were defeated last week.

So........... it's better to move to a subdivision where BYU is ranked 19th at 9-2 while 6 teams with 3 or more losses are ranked ahead of them, and Boise State is ranked #25 in the BCS standings at 10-2 with 11 teams with 3 losses or more are ranked ahead of them?

You think you were frustrated this year...............xcoffeex

pete4256
November 29th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Two words: Institutional destiny.

citdog
November 29th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Two words: Institutional INSANITY!

accuracy is good

don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! you can't even win the Southern Conference.

JDC325
November 29th, 2007, 06:02 PM
accuracy is good

don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! you can't even win the Southern Conference.

We have won it over and over again and the NC more than anyone else so chill THE Citdog...Everyone just calm down, while I am in favor of GSU moving up this is just a tiny baby step. UMASS if I am not mistaken has conducted several studies so with all the cheap shots.

P.S
App please come with us!!! xthumbsupx :D
Really fellas it will be years so RELAX!!

citdog
November 29th, 2007, 06:09 PM
We have won it over and over again and the NC more than anyone else so chill THE Citdog...Everyone just calm down, while I am in favor of GSU moving up this is just a tiny baby step. UMASS if I am not mistaken has conducted several studies so with all the cheap shots.

P.S
App please come with us!!! xthumbsupx :D
Really fellas it will be years so RELAX!!

haven't won either lately

blueballs
November 29th, 2007, 06:19 PM
So........... it's better to move to a subdivision where BYU is ranked 19th at 9-2 while 6 teams with 3 or more losses are ranked ahead of them, and Boise State is ranked #25 in the BCS standings at 10-2 with 11 teams with 3 losses or more are ranked ahead of them?

You think you were frustrated this year...............xcoffeex

I agree with you... I enjoy the FCS playoffs more than anything else.

Heck, if I wanted to see 1-A teams who are playing for nothing much else but a good record and a bowl game UCF's stadium is about 15 miles from my house, but I drive the 310 to GSU.

JDC325
November 29th, 2007, 06:20 PM

TOUCHE but cmon has THE Citadel ever been VanGordered? It has not been that long ago either and we just had the best attendance we ever had so the support has not declined.

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 06:20 PM
not kidding at all... I'm entitled to my opinion, as wrong as it may be to some others

JDC325
November 29th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I agree with you... I enjoy the FCS playoffs more than anything else.

Heck, if I wanted to see 1-A teams who are playing for nothing much else but a good record and a bowl game UCF's stadium is about 15 miles from my house, but I drive the 310 to GSU.

I love the playoffs to but 44K go to see UCF play for good record and bowl game.

GaSouthern
November 29th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Its about damn time!!!

ECU, MTSU, Troy, Marshall, ALL big GSU rivals at one point. xthumbsupx

L'il Grizzly Girlie
November 29th, 2007, 06:25 PM
hey little brother, thanks for helping me set up on here last week, but YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!

Fresno St. Alum
November 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Well good luck to Ga. Southern with whatever they do. Looks llike if you move up it will be a race between you and Texas St. for the 14th spot in the Sun Belt. I'd rather see Ga Southern in FBS than Tx St. just remember no more NC's just New Orleans Bowl & GMAC Bowl trophies. If your school is okay with that I support you 100%

L'il Grizzly Girlie
November 29th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Montana will win it all in basketball this year. We're off to a great start!

JDC325
November 29th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Listen I can understand debating on moving up our not but I will never understand the anger it invokes and the hate it produces. I never really knew if GSU would ever move up or not but I have always wished those that did the best of luck!! I would rather see FCS teams move to the next level and kick ass than the other way around!

BearsCountry
November 29th, 2007, 06:33 PM
That's one reason I hate D-1 basketball- There's NO SUBDIVISIONS. Schools like Wofford, GSU, and High Point are competeing basically for the same championship as Duke, UNC, UCLA, etc., and it makes NO sense. I think there should be two different levels of d-1 basketball, each with its own playoffs and champion, but that's another topic.

All bc you guys cant compete in basketball with the big boys doesnt mean you have to split into 2 divisions.

BearsCountry
November 29th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Best of luck to Georgia Southern if they do. I wish the Bears would do the same.

ButlerGSU
November 29th, 2007, 06:35 PM
ECU, MTSU, Troy, Marshall, ALL big GSU rivals at one point. xthumbsupx

Thats a very good point...

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 06:36 PM
hey little brother, thanks for helping me set up on here last week, but YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!
You're welcome, Christy, but I'm not wrong!

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Montana will win it all in basketball this year. We're off to a great start!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!xlolx xlolx ROFL. KEEP DREAMIN' GIRL

JohnStOnge
November 29th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I think after this year, more and more top NCAA officials are going to seriously consider moving to some sort of bowl/playoff hybrid system. By the time we move up, the BCS will be a horrible dream that will finally be over.

And what do you think some kind of hybrid bowl/playoff system would do for Georgia Southern or any other former I-AA/FBS?

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 06:38 PM
All bc you guys cant compete in basketball with the big boys doesnt mean you have to split into 2 divisions.

How many times has Missouri State cut down the nets? Oh yeah, I think it is and always will be ZERO! I rest my case.

BearsCountry
November 29th, 2007, 06:40 PM
How many times has Missouri State cut down the nets? Oh yeah, I think it is and always will be ZERO! I rest my case.

Made it to a Sweet Sixteen and gave Duke a run for their money. More proud of that than I am of the D2 and NAIA national championships we won.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 29th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Well then can you explain further why you think this is right? Don't all D1 basketball schools play on a level court so to speak? Same # of schollies and so forth? Why is it that every time someone can't compete with an equal opportunity they look for some kind of welfare to help them? If you want to compete with smaller schools then drop down and do so.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 29th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Made it to a Sweet Sixteen and gave Duke a run for their money. More proud of that than I am of the D2 and NAIA national championships we won.

Exactly! And I think any school's fans would feel the same way.

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 06:45 PM
You are welcome to feel that way and I understand why you'd be proud of that, but I'd rather have the ring, the banner, the trophy and all that jazz associated with a championship!

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Wofford doesn't have the funding or as many basketball schollys as most other d-1 schools- we put our money all into football! I guess it's a choice we make, and we must suffer losing in d-1 basketball as a price for winning in d-1 football. But it's a shame!

Fresno St. Alum
November 29th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Once George Mason made the final 4 that sealed the deal that D-I b-ball wouldn't split. I've been watching sports since 1983 at age 6 and Mason winning all those games and making it to the final 4 has got to be in my top 5

TexasTerror
November 29th, 2007, 06:50 PM
We're going to begin seeing more and more schools look into the possibility of FBS...

Schools are going to have tough decisions to make once the moratorium is lifted. It will not surprise me to see a few "big name" FCS schools make the move to what is now known as FBS...

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Mason was the exception to the rule...most teams from smaller conferences are out in the first or at the very best second round, and everyone here knows that.

Polar Bear
November 29th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Wow, would this be a good move and if so how. You are surronded by top notch BCS schools as far as recuriting goes, yes there has been FCS success over BCS schools xsmiley_wix, but that is the exception not the rule. A couple of post have used Boise St as an example, they are not surronded by SEC caliber schools so not a fair comparision. Any way if it happens best of luck. For my 2 cents (which accounts for absolutely nothing) this could be a disater for you. xeekx

ASUMountaineer
November 29th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I hope it doesn't happen. And, I certainly hope Appalachian doesn't do it. Last time I spoke about this topic someone gave me a grey rep point, don't know what that means. But, I for one am against it. Even if they create a playoff system, don't think for a moment the BCS schools are going to give anything up. Small FBS schools still will not have a chance at the NC. I think in GSU's case, just like ASU's, that there are too many FBS schools around the area to make it not worth while. Montana could possibly do it, like Boise State, because in those states, that's the biggest football (and sporting events) around. It's not like in the Southeast with NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, and FBS football. Appalachian in CUSA traveling to play Houston or Rice, would do little for me. xtwocentsx xnottalkingx

Baldy
November 29th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Do you really want to compare how many GSU has won as compared to West Point Reject U?

Didn't think so..... xcoffeex

ASUG8
November 29th, 2007, 07:36 PM

Can anyone say Marshall? One minute you're dominating the SoCon, next you're in relative obscurity.

Cocky
November 29th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Looks like several of us will be waiting in line in 4 years.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Mason was the exception to the rule...most teams from smaller conferences are out in the first or at the very best second round, and everyone here knows that.

Gonzaga anyone?

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Gonzaga hasn't been in the final four, have they? And I could never attend college somewhere without football!

BearsCountry
November 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Wofford doesn't have the funding or as many basketball schollys as most other d-1 schools- we put our money all into football! I guess it's a choice we make, and we must suffer losing in d-1 basketball as a price for winning in d-1 football. But it's a shame!

I dont beleive you guys dont field a full scholarship basketball team.

ASUMountaineer
November 29th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Gonzaga hasn't been in the final four, have they? And I could never attend college somewhere without football!

You wouldn't want to go to Gonzaga?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4i2TEEgMHM

xnodx

Word...Jesu-what?

Seawolf97
November 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM

That would be quantum leap to the Big East

ASUG8

xnodx

Word...Jesu-what?

Right up there with "hot hot hot".

bamamountaineer1013
You are welcome to feel that way and I understand why you'd be proud of that, but I'd rather have the ring, the banner, the trophy and all that jazz associated with a championship!

Agreedxthumbsupx I would rather win 25 NC's in a row...

Sir William
November 29th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Just one man's opinion - but I believe both GSU and App will move up within the next few years, and likely together, or within 1-2 years of each other.

Just for the sake of speculation, a pretty good new conference could form as well, including:

East Carolina
Marshall
App State
Ga Southern
MTSU
WKU
Troy
UCF
Southern Miss

xwhistlex

thmst30
November 29th, 2007, 08:02 PM
If the Big East needs 4 teams, then the ONLY way I would want to move up is if they took Ga. Southern, Wofford, Furman, and App. St. all at the same time.xthumbsupx Of course that would NEVER EVER happen and it would be so sad for FCS to lose those four teams and HALF the Socon. However if that was offered to us, I have to admit its the only scenario in which I would actually think about it. Otherwise forget it we're staying here, and if you guys want to go that bad then GET THE HELL OUT, but good luck.xsmiley_wix

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Wofford can't move up...not enough attendance at games

parr90
November 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM

That doesnt surprise me coming from a furman guy. I will tell you why your wrong though.

GSU is close to 18,000 students and growing fast. It is a very attractive campus. Most important GSU is in a hotbed of football talent. You think South Florida thinks they are mediocre. Granted they are the second largest school in fla, but I believe GSU would be able to get the talent to compete, maybe not bcs teams right away but within 10 years. Look at what Troy has done and they have 5ooo students on a very small, not so attractive campus. Troy lost 3 games this year to SEC teams by low margins. Why would GSU have to be mediocre? They may not be UGA at first but I guarantee you they would be better than MTSU, Marshall, Troy, and some others given a few years. Why? Because of their location. GSU would be successful in a short time if the move is made. The people would get behind it in a big way.

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM

xnodx

Word...Jesu-what?

That was absolutely the GAYEST thing I've ever seen...it was like some boy band like the Backside, excuse me, Backstreet Boys trying to rap! Those guys probably take it in, uh, never mind. You catch my drift. There are some girls at Gonzaga, aren't they?

UNHWildCats
November 29th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Awwwww did a Grizzy and a Woffy make nice during the game? lol

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Awwwww did a Grizzy and a Woffy make nice during the game? lol

Sick, dude, she's my sister! Well, my half sister!:) :D

woffordgrad94
November 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Just one man's opinion - but I believe both GSU and App will move up within the next few years, and likely together, or within 1-2 years of each other.

Just for the sake of speculation, a pretty good new conference could form as well, including:

East Carolina
Marshall
App State
Ga Southern
MTSU
WKU
Troy
UCF
Southern Miss

xwhistlex

ESPN would have a field day making fun of that conference during GAMEDAY.

CID1990
November 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Maybe you guys can join up with Marshall, Kent State, Ohio, etc etc and all whup a little ass together?

CID1990
November 29th, 2007, 08:37 PM
TOUCHE but cmon has THE Citadel ever been VanGordered? It has not been that long ago either and we just had the best attendance we ever had so the support has not declined.

Cry me a river.

We had THREE BVGs in a row starting when Taaffe was fired.

93BlueHen
November 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM
If the Big East needed 4 teams from FCS right away, I'd say GSU, App St, UMass, and Delaware would make the most sense. Villanova is Big East in everything else, but I just don't see their program ever drawing enough for FBS. Philly is a tough draw for college football. Look at Temple.

BULLDOG8180
November 29th, 2007, 08:55 PM

TOP dog?? You can't even make the playoffs in the TOY categoryxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx !!

PaladinFan
November 29th, 2007, 08:58 PM
1. GSU didn't make the playoffs because they lost to three unranked teams and a terrible 1-A school. Two of those losses were at home. You can yell App State and Wofford all you want, but when the rubber meets the road, the Eagles didn't get it done....against UTC for cripes sake. There's absolutely no one to blame for not making the playoffs but yourselves.

2. GSU is not the program they think they are. Haven't made it past the first round since 2002. It's almost a bit laughable. Eagle fans view their program as one of the best in the country when, in reality, they are the 4th best program in the SoCon. Heck, Duke won a lot of games a long time ago too.

3. GSU fans seem to think that one day they are going to get a home game against GT and UGA or something. Look, Boise State has done wonders jumping up to I-A but what big schools to they play in Boise? none. Moving up a level will allow the Eagles to be the perennial whipping boys of the Bulldogs who will gladly take the paycheck year after year (a la UL Monroe and Auburn).

ButlerGSU
November 29th, 2007, 09:51 PM
TOP dog?? You can't even make the playoffs in the TOY categoryxlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx !!

Is this really coming from a Citadel fan?

Now that's funny!

BigApp
November 29th, 2007, 09:54 PM

East Carolina
Marshall
App State
Ga Southern
MTSU
WKU
Troy
UCF
Southern Miss

xwhistlex

that would be a very nice conference indeed. for ALL sports.

BigApp
November 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM
what's with all the Citadel boys smackin' about winning championship??http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0077.gif

GoldandBlack
November 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM
that would be a very nice conference indeed. for ALL sports.

I can't believe anyone would go back to playing Marshall voluntarily- the rest of that field looks pretty good, though.xtwocentsx

TheBisonator
November 29th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Seriously, if the Georgia Southerns and Montanas of I-AA are going to be eventually replaced by the Bryants, South Dakotas and Presbyterians, then I think it would be wise for NDSU to start considering an FBS move. I'm really afraid that 15-20 years from now, FCS will end up being just like what DII was in the 1990's.

ButlerGSU
November 29th, 2007, 10:18 PM

East Carolina
Marshall
App State
Ga Southern
MTSU
WKU
Troy
UCF
Southern Miss

xwhistlex

Could throw in Jacksonville State to give Troy a travel partner and even it up at 10 teams, then you'd have a super conference.

On second thought, you could add James Madison and Delaware and really make it strong.

Baldy
November 29th, 2007, 10:21 PM
1. GSU didn't make the playoffs because they lost to three unranked teams and a terrible 1-A school. Two of those losses were at home. You can yell App State and Wofford all you want, but when the rubber meets the road, the Eagles didn't get it done....against UTC for cripes sake. There's absolutely no one to blame for not making the playoffs but yourselves.

2. GSU is not the program they think they are. Haven't made it past the first round since 2002. It's almost a bit laughable. Eagle fans view their program as one of the best in the country when, in reality, they are the 4th best program in the SoCon. Heck, Duke won a lot of games a long time ago too.

3. GSU fans seem to think that one day they are going to get a home game against GT and UGA or something. Look, Boise State has done wonders jumping up to I-A but what big schools to they play in Boise? none. Moving up a level will allow the Eagles to be the perennial whipping boys of the Bulldogs who will gladly take the paycheck year after year (a la UL Monroe and Auburn).

xlolx

Sounds like a hint of jealousy in your remarks. Either that or you're drunk as hell. xlolx

BigApp
November 29th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Seriously, if the Georgia Southerns and Montanas of I-AA are going to be eventually replaced by the Bryants, South Dakotas and Presbyterians, then I think it would be wise for NDSU to start considering an FBS move. I'm really afraid that 15-20 years from now, FCS will end up being just like what DII was in the 1990's.

now you're getting the idea! xthumbsupx

BearsCountry
November 29th, 2007, 10:53 PM

Well you got hooked up with the right conference.

TheBisonator
November 29th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Well you got hooked up with the right conference.

Exactly. If there's a conference that has the best shot of moving up to FBS together, it's the Gateway/Missouri Valley.

Philly Phoenix Phan
November 29th, 2007, 11:28 PM
If the Big East needed 4 teams from FCS right away, I'd say GSU, App St, UMass, and Delaware would make the most sense. Villanova is Big East in everything else, but I just don't see their program ever drawing enough for FBS. Philly is a tough draw for college football. Look at Temple.

I would say that Temple is the bad draw, not Philly itself. The Villanova and Temple campuses couldn't be more different. Of course, I can't speak to the attendance at Nova games, but I'm sure they could make it work. Plus, coming from a Big East area, I like to keep it within the traditional geographical range. But besides all this talk, how could a BCS conference get away with adding 4 FCS schools? Unless of course it included that high flying offense led by Riddle and Hudgins... xsmiley_wix

chrisattsu
November 29th, 2007, 11:46 PM
now you're getting the idea! xthumbsupx

I could see a large number of d2 schools moving up especially if they ever pass a scholarship split.

TheKDL
November 30th, 2007, 01:45 AM
If you guys move, App. State, Wofford and Furman should go too! But I don't see that happening. From what I have heard nobody can get the wheels moving to start this until you have the permission from the NCAA and I have also heard that they put a freeze on it for 5 years b/c of how many teams were doing it and how bad they became. Not everyone can do what USF did. GSU, your good, but not that good. With GT and UGA getting the top guys. Also what conference would you go to? CUSA, Big East, ACC? Your screwed if you try to go SEC or Big10/12. Stay where you are, your good here and you can win championships here, not with ASU in your way (had to throw that in there) but you are a threat every year and I too would miss the rivalry.

AppMan
November 30th, 2007, 05:34 AM
It's been talked about in Boone for a long time. My freshman year (2004) the school administration wanted to get student's impact on the possibility of moving up. That's when we were 6-5.

It's not talked about as much right now, even though some people want us to go up....and some want us to stay in the SoCon.

To become a hot topic around ASU....they'll want to finish the renovations on Kidd Brewer first. Guarantee it.

Do you actually think ASU is building all these new facilites and expanding KBS to stay in the SoCon?

AppMan
November 30th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Listen I can understand debating on moving up our not but I will never understand the anger it invokes and the hate it produces. I never really knew if GSU would ever move up or not but I have always wished those that did the best of luck!! I would rather see FCS teams move to the next level and kick ass than the other way around!

My friend you have hit the nail on the head. Back during ASU's 1-A Study the venom being offered up on message boards from the 1-aa folks was amazing. Anytime a school even mentions moving from FCS to FBS the naysayers and doom & gloomers come out of the woodworks and start spewing the negatives and hate Funny thing though, when a school moves up from D-II to 1-aa / FCS it is the best move the school could ever possibly make.

AppMan
November 30th, 2007, 06:03 AM
not kidding at all... I'm entitled to my opinion, as wrong as it may be to some others

The primary reason for changing the nomenclature from 1-aa to FCS was to do away with the perception that our basketball programs, as well as all our other sports, are also played on the 1-aa level.

All conferences benefit from the television contract for the NCAA basketball tournament. A 1-aa type basketball tournament would generate ZERO dollars from a television standpoint and everyone's budget would take a hit. An FCS type basketball tournament would be devastating to our schools.

AppMan
November 30th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Maybe you guys can join up with Marshall, Kent State, Ohio, etc etc and all whup a little ass together?

Excuse me. Those six banners down in Stateboro are a fairly good indication they've been whuping little ass for years. Now they want to try it at a higher level.

AppMan
November 30th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Then why don't you guys move back to D-II where you will have a more realistic shot at winning. Ever since Wofford came into the SoCon they've been bitching about funding. One of the first things they tried to do shortly after being admitted to the SoCon was to get scholarships on total dollars rather than the actual numbers of grants.

AppMan
November 30th, 2007, 06:34 AM
If the Big East needs 4 teams, then the ONLY way I would want to move up is if they took Ga. Southern, Wofford, Furman, and App. St. all at the same time.xthumbsupx Of course that would NEVER EVER happen and it would be so sad for FCS to lose those four teams and HALF the Socon. However if that was offered to us, I have to admit its the only scenario in which I would actually think about it. Otherwise forget it we're staying here, and if you guys want to go that bad then GET THE HELL OUT, but good luck.xsmiley_wix

The only people who have a shot at going to the Big East are Memphis, UMass (if they decide to move up), & ECU.

Keep your eyes on ASU, JMU, ODU, & Delaware over the next few years. We all know what ASU is doing in terms of facilities, JMU is set to announce a major stadium expansion, ODU is getting its act together and Delaware is also planning major stadium renovation. Three more years left in the moratorium is about the perfect time frame needed for these schools to be ready to make a move.

AppMan
November 30th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Could throw in Jacksonville State to give Troy a travel partner and even it up at 10 teams, then you'd have a super conference.

On second thought, you could add James Madison and Delaware and really make it strong.

ECU and Marshall have 40,000+ seat stadiums are in CUSA. Why in the world would do you think they make a decision to join that conference?

OL FU
November 30th, 2007, 06:42 AM
I haven't read all on the thread, but I wish GSU luck in whichever course it pursues. Each institution must decide what is best for it. Here's to GSU making the right choicexthumbsupx

I have always assumed that one day, sooner or later, GSU and ASU would move onxnodx

Biff
November 30th, 2007, 07:03 AM
what's with all the Citadel boys smackin' about winning championship??http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0077.gif

Yeah, they got championships, and you won't here me try to say anything about that. But, why would you want to go to a league who doesn't even crown a true national champion. FBS is the only sporting league in the world, or at least the only one I know of, that doesn't do a tournament to decide the champion.

F'em!!! If they want to play for the bowls previously mentioned by appoholic in this thread xlolx, let them go.

They are and will always be Georgia Dawg Rejects. The FBS teams in GA have too much tradition, and are in the SoCon of the FBS. Whatever conference they go into will a much lesser level of competition and not make it any easier to draw players away from UGA or GT.

Death Dealer
November 30th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I wish GSU the best of luck. And if ASU decides to go too, as APPMAN seems so desperate to do, then good for them too. I'm sure it will be a good move for both of them. I think it is inevitable that schools like you two will want to make a percieved move up. I only hope you don't regret it. If either of you do move, I will be pulling for you to do well.

But don't try to tell me that you will be able to win a recruiting battle against the SEC and ACC teams around you. It is going to be years before you can even think of doing that. You will not out recruit Florida, Florida St., UGA, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, and Carolina, all of whom recruit from the same pool of players you do. I'm sorry, but it won't happen.

But if GSU moving up means I won't have to read another one of Baldy's pitiful drivel then can you see if the NCAA will make an exception and let you go on and move next year?

Laserlips
November 30th, 2007, 07:37 AM

And your team couldn't even beat the team that couldn't make the playoffs..:D

JP

CID1990
November 30th, 2007, 08:28 AM
And your team couldn't even beat the team that couldn't make the playoffs..:D

JP

We are not the ones talking about going up.

BULLDOG8180
November 30th, 2007, 08:45 AM
We are not the ones talking about going up.

Exactly!xsmiley_wix

BULLDOG8180
November 30th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Is this really coming from a Citadel fan?

Now that's funny!

Show me where any Cid fan said we were "TOP DOG".xmadx

I'm Waiting.xcoffeex

citdog
November 30th, 2007, 08:57 AM
why is it funny? we were playing football at the level you wish to move up to for 70 years before GSU ever palyed a down!

pete4256
November 30th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Can anyone say Marshall? One minute you're dominating the SoCon, next you're in relative obscurity.

I disagree with that. One minute Marshall was dominating the Socon, the next they were avergaing ten wins a year from 1997 to about 2002. They had a Heisman finalist, two NFL star QBs, and moved upward until they came to rest in C-USA. The wheels have fallen off the last three or four years, but I'd say that there first half decade in I-A brought them far greater exposure than their last hal-decade in I-AA (which was a dominating half-decade).

CID1990
November 30th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I disagree with that. One minute Marshall was dominating the Socon, the next they were avergaing ten wins a year from 1997 to about 2002. They had a Heisman finalist, two NFL star QBs, and moved upward until they came to rest in C-USA. The wheels have fallen off the last three or four years, but I'd say that there first half decade in I-A brought them far greater exposure than their last hal-decade in I-AA (which was a dominating half-decade).

Agreed. You guys should go up. See you in the Toilet Bowl if it's on TV.

appheel
November 30th, 2007, 09:42 AM

It's not all about exposure though. I'd rather be a dominate team who regularly competes in the playoffs and gets little exposure, than a team who once upon a time had a Heisman finalist, but is now getting pounded week in and week out. But that's just me.

ButlerGSU
November 30th, 2007, 09:43 AM
It's not all about exposure though. I'd rather be a dominate team who regularly competes in the playoffs and gets little exposure, than a team who once upon a time had a Heisman finalist, but is now getting pounded week in and week out. But that's just me.

Why not move down to D-II then? I'm sure you could dominate that for years to come.

pete4256
November 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM

It's not just about football. It's institutional destiny.

Appaholic
November 30th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Why not move down to D-II then? I'm sure you could dominate that for years to come.

Maybe we will later, but not now.....we have to prepare for a football playoff game. What are you guys doing this weekend....studying? xeyebrowx

appheel
November 30th, 2007, 09:52 AM

I think we're doing just fine where we are. Have fun watching our game this weekend.

pete4256
November 30th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Why do most of you care so much about what another university does? Is it a sublimated inferiority complex or what?

HIU 93
November 30th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Hate spews on this board like explosive diarrhea.

Georgia Southern...good luck in your travels. Make the best decision for YOU. There will always be haters.

appheel
November 30th, 2007, 10:04 AM
It's not just about football. It's institutional destiny.

How is moving your football team to FBS not just about football? Is your Math department contemplating making the move as well?

I don't really care what GSU does, I just think its a bad idea. I don't want App to make the move either. Corporate Bowls are just not as much fun as playoffs.

citdog
November 30th, 2007, 10:05 AM
How is moving your football team to FBS not just about football? Is your Math department contemplating making the move as well?

I don't really care what GSU does, I just think its a bad idea. I don't want App to make the move either. Corporate Bowls are just not as much fun as playoffs.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx rep pts

citdog
November 30th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Georgia Southern...good luck in your travels. Make the best decision for YOU. There will always be haters.

only when you post your verbal liquid poo

ButlerGSU
November 30th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Maybe we will later, but not now.....we have to prepare for a football playoff game. What are you guys doing this weekend....studying? xeyebrowx

Actually yes, with final exams next week. Other than that we'll be beating you guys again this year but this time in basketball on Saturday at 3.

Then we'll probably shop for companies to study our potential move to I-A xsmiley_wix

ButlerGSU
November 30th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Thank you HIU, after all it is ONLY a study right now to determine what is best for our program and lay out future goals and objectives. Not exactly sure why there are 15 pages of hate coming from these boards but I guess it comes with the territory.

ASU
November 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I do not see anyone hating GaSouthern. A lot of people hate to see you go. Not that that is decided yet. Your program has made it tough to win against and that always makes it even more of a big victory when they do beat your program.
I believe that almost everyone in the SoCon will wish you well if your school decides to move (didn't say up....because I hate that expression...same as saying something has ,"Gone South".)
You will probably have some successes. Do not believe that you will be able to get into the Big East, but if you do that would be great. If you do move and have to settle for some other conference that could be a real money waster. Particularly if all your athletic teams have to travel a long way for games. That is one thing bad about some of the conferences without geographic sense. It takes a big barrel of money to fund their expenses.
Anyway, good luck GaSo ....been nice knowing you (if you go.)

UDChE89
November 30th, 2007, 10:29 AM
The only people who have a shot at going to the Big East are Memphis, UMass (if they decide to move up), & ECU.

Keep your eyes on ASU, JMU, ODU, & Delaware over the next few years. We all know what ASU is doing in terms of facilities, JMU is set to announce a major stadium expansion, ODU is getting its act together and Delaware is also planning major stadium renovation. Three more years left in the moratorium is about the perfect time frame needed for these schools to be ready to make a move.

We are?? That would be news to most UD fans.

HIU 93
November 30th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I do not see anyone hating GaSouthern.

That's called selective blindness.:p

BearsCountry
November 30th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Why do most of you care so much about what another university does? Is it a sublimated inferiority complex or what?

Its the only thing that ticks me off about this board. If your school considers a move up you are looked at like the devil.

HIU 93
November 30th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Its the only thing that ticks me off about this board. If your school considers a move up you are looked at like the devil.

It's called mob mentality. It's the same reason the board members practice group hate against the MEAC and SWAC.xthumbsupx

WUTNDITWAA
November 30th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Just the post I'd expect from someone who calls himself appHEEL! xrolleyesx

You wouldn't want the school that took a chance on educating you EVER getting on the same level of the school you lust after. xcoffeex

WUTNDITWAA
November 30th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Exatly. But if Emory & Henry wants to move up from DIII to the SoCon, it's the best thing that's ever happened. This gets proven here over and over.xrulesx

appheel
November 30th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Just the post I'd expect from someone who calls himself appHEEL! xrolleyesx

You wouldn't want the school that took a chance on educating you EVER getting on the same level of the school you lust after. xcoffeex

Well don't you think you're clever. Unfortunately for you I went to UNC undergrad and App for grad school. Sorry to burst your bubble.

soweagle
November 30th, 2007, 11:37 AM
As stated earlier this is only a study. I'm not confident of what the interpretation of the study will be by our administration. I could be wrong but it seems awfully similar to what App. St. went through a few years ago when they had a study done and the admin. wanted to manipulate the results.

As far as the comments regarding recruiting against SEC/ACC competiton, of course GSU would not be able to compete against them for most kids but occassionally you will "steal" one away. That is how programs are built, brick by brick. We would begin recruting against Central Florida, South Florida, Troy, MTSU, etc...with the hopes that in years to come you ease into a situation where you are suddenly on the radar with the top kids in the states around you. It wont happen overnight.

The Sunbelt will most likely be the only place we could land but that is a stepping stone. No one with a sane mind thinks you can join I-A and expect to play for the title within a few years. It might be 30 years of doing this before you see any significant results.

I'm not sure our fan base can support the years of struggle it will take but I'm also worried about I-AA. While I love I-AA and the playoff system, the watering down over the years makes me worry about the future. I'm not talking about this year or the next but rather 10-20 years down the road. The only good thing, IMHO, to happen to I-AA is the 4 year moratorium.

BTW, I know it is not I-AA anymore but I hate that title so I refuse to use it , kind of like the media.

slycat
November 30th, 2007, 11:39 AM
yall just want to move up when we do so you can get your revenge game;)

WUTNDITWAA
November 30th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Well don't you think you're clever. Unfortunately for you I went to UNC undergrad and App for grad school. Sorry to burst your bubble.

If what you say is true, you're an exception, but it doesn't take away from my observations over the years. xreadx However, I'll venture a guess that you wouldn't want to see them both playing on the same level. Or ASU beating UNC. Which is fine, given your undergrad studies at UNC.

appheel
November 30th, 2007, 12:02 PM
If what you say is true, you're an exception, but it doesn't take away from my observations over the years. xreadx However, I'll venture a guess that you wouldn't want to see them both playing on the same level. Or ASU beating UNC. Which is fine, given your undergrad studies at UNC.

I get what you're saying, but I would love to see App play UNC. And I'd probably root for App. My feelings about App staying in FCS have nothing to do with not wanting them to play at the same level as the Heels. I don't know what you're seemingly negative observations are about Carolina fans, but I respectfully disagree about all of them. xlolx

WUTNDITWAA
November 30th, 2007, 12:06 PM
It's simple. You're either with us, or again' us. xlolx

No matter if you're a house dog, a banana slug or a dirty foot.

Appaholic
November 30th, 2007, 12:20 PM

"Excuse me....Uga......hey....uga....over here.......see uga, I'm wearing my big boy training diaper now.....we're FBS......we wanna be cool like you.....hey.....uga....where you going?......didn't you here me?,I said were FBS now....wanna go play?........uga?.......hello?.........anyone?"

Speaking of inferiority complexes......xcoffeex

ButlerGSU
November 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Oh boy we're up to page 17 now! You'd think this was the National Championship game thread.

Honestly, we're honored.

pete4256
November 30th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Hmmm . . . let's see. There's more to a university than football, but as your chancellor put it, football is the university's front porch. GSU recently was classified as a research university, or doctoral institution. When the state board of regents also applies that term, GSU will have reached the goal of its recent academic overhaul.

Given that status and everything else we know about the university, let me ask you, what are GSU's peer institutions?

Are we more like Southern Miss, East Carolina, and Marshall?

Or are we more like Wofford, Furman, Elon, Samford, et al.?

That is not smack. It simply points out the kind of school we are and want to be in the near future.

Unfortunately, as far as athletics go, this probably means giving up our national prominence in football. I don't like that aspect of it, but it certainly makes sense.

And it shouldn't make the haters come out and start deriding GSU.

pete4256
November 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
"Excuse me....Uga......hey....uga....over here.......see uga, I'm wearing my big boy training diaper now.....we're FBS......we wanna be cool like you.....hey.....uga....where you going?......didn't you here me?,I said were FBS now....wanna go play?........uga?.......hello?.........anyone?"

Speaking of inferiority complexes......xcoffeex

See? Pointless smack. Take it to the smack board.

CID1990
November 30th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Hmmm . . . let's see. There's more to a university than football, but as your chancellor put it, football is the university's front porch. GSU recently was classified as a research university, or doctoral institution. When the state board of regents also applies that term, GSU will have reached the goal of its recent academic overhaul.

Given that status and everything else we know about the university, let me ask you, what are GSU's peer institutions?

That is not smack. It simply points out the kind of school we are and want to be in the near future.

Unfortunately, as far as athletics go, this probably means giving up our national prominence in football. I don't like that aspect of it, but it certainly makes sense.

This is the mentality that has big time college so damn screwed up. It takes a really nebulous twist of logic to somehow find a link between what a college should be academically, and then use that as some kind of a justification for what level that same college should be at in terms of athletics.

One has nothing to do with the other. In fact, it is increasingly true that schools with prestigious academic credentials usually only excel in sports like football by loosening their admissions standards, or creating 'special' academic programs to accomodate the athletes. College sports, particularly football and basketball are the whole reason why it is no longer enough to say that you went to UNC, Georgia Tech or Michigan.

Why? Because you can get a degree in general studies (AKA Basket Weaving) from schools like that. Those programs were exclusively created because those schools want to play big time college football or basketball.

If anything, the methods of building an excellent academic reputation run counter to the methods of building an excellent athletic reputation. Many colleges and universities actually understand this, and refuse to sacrifice academic exclusivity for athletic power. They can be found playing football in the PFL, the Ivy League, and at schools like Vanderbilt, Duke and Northwestern.

If GSU wants to go up, then go up. But don't fool yourself into thinking that if you fit in well with ECU, Marshall or Southern Miss academically that you somehow have to play them in football.

ButlerGSU
November 30th, 2007, 12:59 PM
This is the mentality that has big time college so damn screwed up. It takes a really nebulous twist of logic to somehow find a link between what a college should be academically, and then use that as some kind of a justification for what level that same college should be at in terms of athletics.

One has nothing to do with the other. In fact, it is increasingly true that schools with prestigious academic credentials usually only excel in sports like football by loosening their admissions standards, or creating 'special' academic programs to accomodate the athletes. College sports, particularly football and basketball are the whole reason why it is no longer enough to say that you went to UNC, Georgia Tech or Michigan.

Why? Because you can get a degree in general studies (AKA Basket Weaving) from schools like that. Those programs were exclusively created because those schools want to play big time college football or basketball.

If anything, the methods of building an excellent academic reputation run counter to the methods of building an excellent athletic reputation. Many colleges and universities actually understand this, and refuse to sacrifice academic exclusivity for athletic power. They can be found playing football in the PFL, the Ivy League, and at schools like Vanderbilt, Duke and Northwestern.

If GSU wants to go up, then go up. But don't fool yourself into thinking that if you fit in well with ECU, Marshall or Southern Miss academically that you somehow have to play them in football.

You mean like Citadels 'civilian' program which offers undergraduate and graduate programs in the evening without a student actually having to be in the corps? Not changing like that right? xsmiley_wix

Actually I don't completely disagree with you but athletics is, as the ASU chancellor said, more of a front porch than anything else.

CID1990
November 30th, 2007, 01:13 PM
You mean like Citadels 'civilian' program which offers undergraduate and graduate programs in the evening without a student actually having to be in the corps? Not changing like that right? xsmiley_wix

Actually I don't completely disagree with you but athletics is, as the ASU chancellor said, more of a front porch than anything else.

The graduate school is part of the larger academic environment in the Charleston area. It is a physical extension of the service-oriented mission of The Citadel.

As for the civilian undergraduate program, I suppose a little history is in order, because I see this mentioned from time to time as if it diminishes The Citadel somehow.

The 'civilian' program you refer to used to be called the Veterans school. During WWII, the whole class of 1942 was drafted. Some of them, including former President MG Alex Grimsley, went off and fought the war, and were then allowed to return to The Citadel to finish their degrees. Since they had already served in combat, and were also somewhat older than the cadets, they were allowed to come back as civilian students (some were still active military). This program morphed into the Veteran's school, by which any veteran could attend day classes at The Citadel. When I was there, there were a few of those guys on campus, and our only exposure to them was in the classrooms.

Fast forward to the Shannon Faulkner era. Only male veterans were allowed to attend The Citadel. Back when the program started, this was not an issue, because women were not in the regular military. Part of the argument against single gender education at The Citadel was that the school was discriminating against veterans, specifically, female vets.

Unlike other military schools where the graduate and civilian undergrad programs grew to the point where they engulfed the Corps (VT, Texas A&M), I think The Citadel has done a good job of maintaining its identity as a military school. The civilian academic programs only contribute to the overall academic reputation of the school.

CID1990
November 30th, 2007, 01:20 PM

There could be something to that, but at a school of 18,000 students, what percentage of those are playing sports? The biggest draw to a school is academics. When I was in high school in NC, my friends who wanted to go into engineering or agriculture went to NCSU. If they had a mind to go to law school, they went to Wake Forest, UNC or Duke. Aspiring dentists (like my Dad) went to UNC, and the future doctors went to UNC or Duke. It made no difference how well or poorly those schools were doing athletically. Athletics did not attract my brother to NCSU, the engineering programs did. If football and basketball mattered to him, he would have gone to UNC since he was a fan.

As far as I am concerned, calling athletics the 'front porch' is just another way of justifying the expense of football and the coach's salary. Do you think that there are any teaching professors at ASU who make more money than Jerry Moore?

BigApp
November 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM
But, why would you want to go to a league who doesn't even crown a true national champion.

well, what's so 'true' about the championship we play for when roughly a third of the teams in this subdivision don't consider it worthwhile to attain & play for?

mrklean
November 30th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I just love the HATE!!

BigApp
November 30th, 2007, 03:06 PM
But don't try to tell me that you will be able to win a recruiting battle against the SEC and ACC teams around you. It is going to be years before you can even think of doing that. You will not out recruit Florida, Florida St., UGA, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, and Carolina, all of whom recruit from the same pool of players you do. I'm sorry, but it won't happen.

please point us all to any post on any message board or a link to any statement which alludes to this idea that App or GSU could out-recruit SEC and ACC teams.

Really, I'd like to see it.

BigApp
November 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM

yes, it certainly would infringe upon your ability to root for them Heels now wouldn't it?

bluehenbillk
November 30th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Hey if you guys can work your way into a BCS league then all the power in the world to you.

BigApp
November 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM
How is moving your football team to FBS not just about football?

was this posted in jest? Surely you can't be serious. xconfusedx

henfan
November 30th, 2007, 03:13 PM
It's pretty clear the SoCon is moving further and further away from the profile of schools like GaSU, ASU & UTC. GaSU is wise to investigate its options, though, without the prospect of an affiliation with a solid FBS conference, there may not be a whole lot waiting for them on the other side of the rainbow. Good luck to 'em.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I have seen on this thread, as evidence for this move, the "success" of UCF. That's CENTRAL Florida, not SOUTHERN Florida. If you indeed have this sorry program as a role model for your move, good friggin' luck.

It would be a real shame to see GSU follow in the sad, sorry footsteps of Troy, MTSU, WKU, ULL, ULM and countless others into FBS purgatory. And unless the Big East is minting new offers to join their league, that's probably where you'll end up. In my mind, FCS football is not only better than fBS football with no true champion, but one million times better than FBS Purgatory.

BearsCountry
November 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM
I have seen on this thread, as evidence for this move, the "success" of UCF. That's CENTRAL Florida, not SOUTHERN Florida. If you indeed have this sorry program as a role model for your move, good friggin' luck.

You mean the school with a brand new stadium, a million dollar coach, brand new athletic facilites, hosted Texas, and a member of the best non-BCS conference. And almost had an invite to the Big East. I think that isnt too bad of a program to follow after.

BigApp
November 30th, 2007, 04:01 PM

you mean, that sorry UCF football team that won Conference USA East division this season? The one that's a prohibitive favorite to win their conference championship tomorrow?

The same UCF that's had no less than 6 NATIONAL television games (not including their bowl game)?

You're right. They're an awful, dreadful program.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2007, 04:05 PM
You mean the school with a brand new stadium, a million dollar coach, brand new athletic facilites, hosted Texas (and lost), and a member of the best non-BCS conference. And almost had an invite to the Big East. I think that isnt too bad of a program to follow after.

"Wow, we hosted Texas! And we're in the best non-BC$ conference! And we almost were in the Big East!" I can hear the rallying cries now! xrolleyesx

If the big achievements of the football program are (in order): 1) hosting Texas, 2) appearing in the 2005 Hawaii Bowl, 3) appearing in the C-USA Championship game this year, and 4) overspending on football, brother the expectations are even lower than I suspected. xlolx

BigApp
November 30th, 2007, 04:06 PM
the hate is sad. really.

pete4256
November 30th, 2007, 04:09 PM

I agree with your value judgments almost 100%.

But that's not the reality of American colleges and universities today.

It's about branding. It's not necesarrily right, and certainly it's not ideal, but it is logical.

pete4256
November 30th, 2007, 04:11 PM
"Wow, we hosted Texas! And we're in the best non-BC$ conference! And we almost were in the Big East!" I can hear the rallying cries now! xrolleyesx

If the big achievements of the football program are (in order): 1) hosting Texas, 2) appearing in the 2005 Hawaii Bowl, 3) appearing in the C-USA Championship game this year, and 4) overspending on football, brother the expectations are even lower than I suspected. xlolx

Everyone has a niche. Georgia Southern's niche is different than Lehigh's. Isn't that obvious?

To quote BigApp: "The hate is sad. Really."

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2007, 04:16 PM
you mean, that sorry UCF football team that won Conference USA East division this season? The one that's a prohibitive favorite to win their conference championship tomorrow?

The same UCF that's had no less than 6 NATIONAL television games (not including their bowl game)?

You're right. They're an awful, dreadful program.

National Championship chances: Zero
Quality wins: Zero
Crappy Bowls To Appear In This Year: One

And if you watched all of that "national TV game" on ESPN of that 59-12 drubbing by South Florida, you're a better man than I.

The fact that UCF is being launched here as a MODEL PROGRAM is laughable. In ten years in FBS they have exactly one bowl, and all they've successfully proven are the following facts:

1) You can be the prohibitive favorite in the C-USA title game, and people will still resoundingly not care.

2) You can play in a couple of crappy bowls, and people still won't know who you are.

3) More people know about Appalachian State than UCF - and Appalachian State has actually beaten a Top 25 school.

4) UCF still can't play in a national championship.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Everyone has a niche. Georgia Southern's niche is different than Lehigh's. Isn't that obvious?

Where did I mention GSU in my little series of postings? Unless you have UCF-philia.

AppMan
November 30th, 2007, 04:20 PM
well, what's so 'true' about the championship we play for when roughly a third of the teams in this subdivision don't consider it worthwhile to attain & play for?

Now THAT is a good point!

pete4256
November 30th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Where did I mention GSU in my little series of postings? Unless you have UCF-philia.

When did I say you hated GSU?

Obviously you hate the programs that move up. You hate what FBS offers non-BCS teams. Your example is UCF.

AppMan
November 30th, 2007, 04:23 PM
We are?? That would be news to most UD fans.

Just passing along some info I got from a UD grad who is closely connected to the school. No expansion, time frame, or exact plans, just a desire to renovate and spruce up.

BigApp
November 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM
And if you watched all of that "national TV game" on ESPN of that 59-12 drubbing by South Florida, you're a better man than I.

didn't watch that game, but did watch their win at Southern Mississippi. And most likely will watch their bowl game too.

If you think people 'don't care' about the CUSA championship, what do you think their opinion is of the Patriot League champion?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM
didn't watch that game, but did watch their win at Southern Mississippi. And most likely will watch their bowl game too.

If you think people 'don't care' about the CUSA championship, what do you think their opinion is of the Patriot League champion?

The Patriot League Champion can win a National Championship, unlike UCF.

BigApp
November 30th, 2007, 04:31 PM

tbh, HIU deserves the credit for it. But thanks!

BigApp
November 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM

do you think people would care about it?

pete4256
November 30th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Now that's funny! Side-splitting! xlolx

WUTNDITWAA
November 30th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Ummmm...no. xcoffeex

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 05:09 PM
The Patriot League Champion can win a National Championship, unlike UCF.Pointless arguing in favor of D-I championships with petey and the flapper twins, LFN. They'd rather be bowling but their athletic departments say no. Drives them up a wall. xlolx xnodx xreadx

citdog
November 30th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Pointless arguing in favor of D-I championships with petey and the flapper twins, LFN. They'd rather be bowling but their athletic departments say no. Drives them up a wall. xlolx xnodx xreadx

xwhistlex i hear that bowling alleys got big lanes! got big lanes! take the skinheads bowling! take them bowling!xwhistlex

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM
xwhistlex i hear that bowling alleys got big lanes! got big lanes! take the skinheads bowling! take them bowling!xwhistlexAppy and GaSU bowling folk got them thar school to do a feesability studything but thar annser is still no! :p ;)

ButlerGSU
November 30th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Appy and GaSU bowling folk got them thar school to do a feesability studything but thar annser is still no! :p ;)

Oh wow, Syntax Error is so awesome - he found out the results of the study prior to the study even being performed!

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Oh wow, Syntax Error is so awesome - he found out the results of the study prior to the study even being performed!Methinks Baker knows the answer as well. xsmiley_wix xreadx Laney did at ASU. Oh well, gotta put it in black and white sometimes. Good luck Butler!

WUTNDITWAA
November 30th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Methinks Baker knows the answer as well. xsmiley_wix xreadx

Probably so. Most of these studies are stacked to produce the desired result of those footing the bill. xoopsx

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Probably so. Most of these studies are stacked to produce the desired result of those footing the bill. xoopsxDidn't mean to leave you out WUT, take your pick:

http://www.wolverinesports.com/IMAGES/BL294P.JPG

:D :D ;) :)

parr90
November 30th, 2007, 05:33 PM
What it boils down to is what GSU wants not what others think.

WUTNDITWAA
November 30th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Didn't mean to leave you out WUT, take your pick:

http://www.wolverinesports.com/IMAGES/BL294P.JPG

:D :D ;) :)

I'll take Yellar. :D

WUTNDITWAA
November 30th, 2007, 05:34 PM
It's always better to be the ball than the pins.

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 05:38 PM
It's always better to be the ball than the pins.
http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/s/06/c8/b6/91_2.JPG

WUTNDITWAA
November 30th, 2007, 05:40 PM
http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/s/06/c8/b6/91_2.JPG

That reminds me, I need to stop by Wal-Mart. :D

Well, now that you changed the picture, this makes no sense.

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 05:46 PM
That reminds me, I need to stop by Wal-Mart. :D

Well, now that you changed the picture, this makes no sense.http://www.slapupsidethehead.com/wp-content/media/2006/04/brokeback_walmart.jpg

mathman
November 30th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Exactly. I think Georgia Southern's chances of getting in the Big East are poor. They have no major market and can't measure up academically with the other Big East schools. Even new comer South Florida has an endowment of over $330 million and is a major research institution. More likely is the Big East again raiding C-USA and causing another round of team 'musical chairs' thus leaving open a slot for Georgia Southern. But I think it might be in the Sun Belt rather than C-USA.

I see Georgia Southern athletics as being more like Troy. GSU has a large enough fan base to stay FBS but probably will never win over a large portion of the state from UGA. Georgia Tech doesn't enjoy the fan support that UGA does and while I'm sure Tech wants fans, it doesn't need it as much because Tech has alumni with $$$. So I think Georgia Southern might feel the squeeze like Troy and UAB do in Alabama. Auburn and Alabama divide the loyalties in that state.

But with Georgia State and Kennesaw State likely adding football, I guess Georgia Southern needs to take a chance and move up. Kennesaw Sate still hints that they might go FBS but I don't see how they can go from ground zero to elite class in football as a start up program.

pete4256
November 30th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Pointless arguing in favor of D-I championships with petey and the flapper twins, LFN. They'd rather be bowling but their athletic departments say no. Drives them up a wall. xlolx xnodx xreadx

If "petey" is me, then I suggest you go back and read everything I said a little more closely. Nowhere did I say or imply that FBS football is superior to the playoff format that I've loved since the late 1980s. In an ideal world, based solely on football, FCS is the best place to be. IF GSU moves to FBS, I will shrug and get used to playing for the toilet.com bowl. Only a moron would see such a bowl as a competitive move up compared to the FCS playoffs.

I did say that I'm not sure whether FCS football still suits GSU's institutional profile.

If you can't understand that logic, then you are deficient.

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 06:41 PM
If "petey" is me, then I suggest you go back and read everything I said a little more closely. Nowhere did I say or imply that FBS football is superior to the playoff format that I've loved since the late 1980s. In an ideal world, based solely on football, FCS is the best place to be. IF GSU moves to FBS, I will shrug and get used to playing for the toilet.com bowl. Only a moron would see such a bowl as a competitive move up compared to the FCS playoffs.
I did say that I'm not sure whether FCS football still suits GSU's institutional profile.
If you can't understand that logic, then you are deficient.Now now, keep the hate within there now. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

http://www.ryanrussell.net/patton_georgia12.jpg

xlmaox

ButlerGSU
November 30th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Exactly. I think Georgia Southern's chances of getting in the Big East are poor. They have no major market and can't measure up academically with the other Big East schools. Even new comer South Florida has an endowment of over $330 million and is a major research institution. More likely is the Big East again raiding C-USA and causing another round of team 'musical chairs' thus leaving open a slot for Georgia Southern. But I think it might be in the Sun Belt rather than C-USA.

I see Georgia Southern athletics as being more like Troy. GSU has a large enough fan base to stay FBS but probably will never win over a large portion of the state from UGA. Georgia Tech doesn't enjoy the fan support that UGA does and while I'm sure Tech wants fans, it doesn't need it as much because Tech has alumni with $$$. So I think Georgia Southern might feel the squeeze like Troy and UAB do in Alabama. Auburn and Alabama divide the loyalties in that state.

But with Georgia State and Kennesaw State likely adding football, I guess Georgia Southern needs to take a chance and move up. Kennesaw Sate still hints that they might go FBS but I don't see how they can go from ground zero to elite class in football as a start up program.

You should research before you post. Georgia Southern has higher average freshmen SAT scores than a number of Big East schools including #1 West Virginia, as far as market we are 40 minutes from Savannah and slightly over an hour from Augusta which is the second and third largest cities in Georgia respectively.

mrklean
November 30th, 2007, 06:52 PM
You should research before you post. Georgia Southern has higher average freshmen SAT scores than a number of Big East schools including #1 West Virginia, as far as market we are 40 minutes from Savannah and slightly over an hour from Augusta which is the second and third largest cities in Georgia respectively.

Also, over 60% of our Alumni live in Atlanta(largest city in the south).

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Well if you take out Houston, Miami, Dallas, etc. then yeah, Atlanta is the largest metro in the south.

ButlerGSU
November 30th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Well if you take out Houston, Miami, Dallas, etc. then yeah, Atlanta is the largest metro in the south.

You really need a lesson in research.

1) Houston & Dallas are not in the south
2) Atlanta is a larger city than Miami by nearly 300,000 people

cseagle
November 30th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Forbes 150 Largest Metro Areas:

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2005/0523/156.html

19. Dallas
13. Houston
138. Miami

9. Atlanta

Come on man....

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 07:22 PM
You really need a lesson in research.
1) Houston & Dallas are not in the south
2) Atlanta is a larger city than Miami by nearly 300,000 peopleTexas is not in the South? Do you know what latitude and longitude are?

I'll take their word for population:
http://www.census.gov/index.html

Also try:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_metropolitan_area

mathman
November 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM
That's not enough. US News places Georgia Southern in the 4th tier among national universities, and you really don't do much research and don't have many PhD programs. West Virginia's endowment is more than $300 million more than yours and is classified as a research institution. Savannah metro has about 300,000 people. Not very big. What you can offer is only your alumni base because other than that, Atlanta belongs to UGA and Georgia Tech takes up what is left. Regardless of alumni living in Atlanta, I don't think Georgia Southern delivers that market. As it is, Georgia Southern doesn't get much press in Atlanta. I would think the Big East would rather have UCF or even Memphis than Georgia Southern.

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Let's not ignore the BIG PICTURE here folks! If Georgia Southern gets a favorable report back and if they can actually follow through on it and if they can join the FBS then I know that all of us here at AGS wish them the best of luck and most of all...

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MCG/R1126~Have-Fun-Bowling-Posters.jpg

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

APPride
November 30th, 2007, 07:34 PM

as posted elsewhere on AGS earlier in the week, I cannot think of an FBS opponent I'd rather play next year...hope the rumors are true...xeekx

ButlerGSU
November 30th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Texas is not in the South? Do you know what latitude and longitude are?

Also try:

Let's take their word...

Atlanta (city only, not metro as you said. Metro has nearly 9 million) - 486,411
Miami (beach) - 86,916 even Miami according to the Census has only 404,048

Come on hair splitter...Houston and Dallas are in the west but if you want to call it south go ahead.

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Atlanta is a larger city than Miami by nearly 300,000 people
Let's take their word...
Atlanta 486,411
Miami 404,048
Come on hair splitter...xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You MUST'VE MEANT Miami metro is larger than Atlanta metro by over 300,000.
Miami FL 5,463,857
Atlanta GA 5,138,223

Who cares really? Everybody measures them differently. Most of all, if everything works out for FBS lovers at FCS Georgia Southern...

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MCG/R1126~Have-Fun-Bowling-Posters.jpg

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

mathman
November 30th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Let's take their word...

Atlanta (city only, not metro as you said. Metro has nearly 9 million) -
Holy Cow! No! The entire state of Georgia is only about 8 million. With our drought, 9 million people would be a disaster. Atlanta Metro has about 5 1/2 million people. Don't care so much about city sizes because metro areas better reflect a 'city's' true size. Miami metro is also about 5 1/2 million.

ButlerGSU
November 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

The metro is as you said it wasn't.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Gotta give you credit, you're as good as Baldy at stretching.

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 08:01 PM
The metro is as you said it wasn't.xpeacex Like I said, if you take out Houston, Miami, Dallas, etc. then yeah, Atlanta is the largest metro in the south.

And of course, Statesboro is not included in any of them. :(

gophoenix
November 30th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Oh, I see. So I-A is about you belonging there while keeping who you think don't belong out. The same sort of mentality you guys hate right now.

But then again. Here's that same line of idiotic logic for Elon.

Are we more like Duke, Wake Forest and Vanderbilt?
Or are we more like Coastal Carolina, Western Carolina and Towson?

Are The Citadel and VMI more like Army, Navy and the Air Force? Or are they more like App, GSU and Western???

Here's one for you.

Are Akron, East Carolina, Marshall, MTSU more like Florida State, Tennessee and Alabama or are they more like GSU, Coastal and James Madison.

That is what I love about you people. It's the "there should be a subdivision" crowd as long as that mystical line in the sand is drawn behind you. So, GSU should be I-A. But Elon and others should not.

Elitism is all I can say.

BigApp
November 30th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Let's not ignore the BIG PICTURE here folks! If Georgia Southern gets a favorable report back and if they can actually follow through on it and if they can join the FBS then I know that all of us here at AGS wish them the best of luck and most of all...

wait, I thought you cried at the sight of their stadium, wept at the flapping of their flags and kissed the grass on their field?

(didn't think we'd remember that, did ya?)

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 30th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Personally, I think that the GSU admin is just doing this to shut up the incessant barking and howling by the people at southernfacts.org and that they have no real plans to actually move forward with it. GSU fans that have been fans since the program has restarted tend to be very idealistic because of GSU's monster growth spurt that it had in the 1980s - and that happened because we had an amazing coaching staff that had both Erk Russell and Paul Johnson on it. Coaching staffs like that do not come around very often, especially for public schools with 4-digit enrollments.

I don't see how we have anything to gain, unless we can have a once-in-a-lifetime cinderella Boise State 2006/South Florida first half of 2007 type of season. Of course, after you have that season, people soon forget about you, especially when the ensuing year has a wild race in the BCS and lots of huge upsets (i.e. Appy over Michigan and Stanford over Southern California).

At any rate, GSU has an ambitious and sagacious president that has made the right decisions in the past, and I'll trust the decision that he makes regarding the move to the FBS.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 30th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Personally, I think that the GSU admin is just doing this to shut up the incessant barking and howling by the people at southernfacts.org and that they have no real plans to actually move forward with it. GSU fans that have been fans since the program has restarted tend to be very idealistic because of GSU's monster growth spurt that it had in the 1980s - and that happened because we had an amazing coaching staff that had both Erk Russell and Paul Johnson on it. Coaching staffs like that do not come around very often, especially for public schools with 4-digit enrollments.

I don't see how we have anything to gain, unless we can have a once-in-a-lifetime cinderella Boise State 2006/South Florida first half of 2007 type of season. Of course, after you have that season, people soon forget about you, especially when the ensuing year has a wild race in the BCS and lots of huge upsets (i.e. Appy over Michigan and Stanford over Southern California).

At any rate, GSU has an ambitious and sagacious president that has made the right decisions in the past, and I'll trust the decision that he makes regarding the move to the FBS.

Having a IA football program is not always about the football. It's about exposure. I wouldn't be surprised if more national exposure and the hopes to bring in more/better students was the motive for our academically aimed president to usher in this study. I doubt he really cares about what level of football we play at. Heck, 2 months ago he "didn't do sports interviews".

ButlerGSU
November 30th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Having a IA football program is not always about the football. It's about exposure. I wouldn't be surprised if more national exposure and the hopes to bring in more/better students was the motive for our academically aimed president to usher in this study. I doubt he really cares about what level of football we play at. Heck, 2 months ago he "didn't do sports interviews".

That's the truth. Dr. Grube is not the least bit interested in athletics as long as SAT scores and retention rates continue to climb.

Baldy
November 30th, 2007, 09:38 PM
The pure hatred in this thread displayed by some is quite disturbing. xsmhx

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 09:42 PM
wait, I thought you cried at the sight of their stadium, wept at the flapping of their flags and kissed the grass on their field?
(didn't think we'd remember that, did ya?)xeyebrowx Somehow I knew you would mischaracterize it, mangle it and completely get it all wrong. You didn't fail us. Congrats! xrolleyesx I know you're jealous of GSU but really, "kiss the grass"????? xnonox

BigApp
November 30th, 2007, 09:55 PM
xeyebrowx Somehow I knew you would mischaracterize it, mangle it and completely get it all wrong. You didn't fail us. Congrats! xrolleyesx I know you're jealous of GSU but really, "kiss the grass"????? xnonox

tell us then, what did you say if I "mischaracterized" you?

But really, I don't expect you to answer in a straightforward manner, just expect to read another of your periphratic attempts at subliminal smack.

I doubt you'll disappoint.

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 10:00 PM
tell us then, what did you say if I "mischaracterized" you?
But really, I don't expect you to answer in a straightforward manner, just expect to read another of your periphratic attempts at subliminal smack.
I doubt you'll disappoint.Oh just go home and find it yourself, you're the one who brought it up. Hint; cried, wept and kiss the grass wasn't part of it.

Dismissed. Be jealous of GSU on your own time. xcoffeex

WUTNDITWAA
November 30th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Texas is not in the South? Do you know what latitude and longitude are?

Also try:

First, I wouldn't cite wikipedia as a source without qualifying it as "being from widipedia, so take it for what it's worth." Second, leave it to a yankee/midwesterner to tell Southerners what constitutes the South. :p On that, whatever Citdog says, I'll go along with that. xnodx

mathman
November 30th, 2007, 10:36 PM
"When"? Don't you mean "if"? The University System already has a full plate supporting 4 research institutions. And UGA wants to add a med school and engineering. Kennesaw State's growth is outpacing Georgia Southern's and KSU is adding PhD programs as well. Plus the University System just opened Georgia Gwinnett. If anything, the USG should promote Kennesaw State and West Georgia to Regional Universities. The USG has already raised their funding levels to that of Georgia Southern's and Valdosta's.

Were you referring to the chancellor of the University System of Georgia? The only chancellor there is in Georgia is of the University System. Each school has a president.

Georgia Southern's Carnegie classification is: Doctoral/Research University with a very high undergraduate population
whereas:
Georgia State University: Research Universities (high research activity) with majority undergraduate (Georgia State has a lot of grad students)

UGA: Research Universities (very high research activity) with a high undergraduate population

Georgia Tech: Research Universities (very high research activity) with majority undergraduate (Tech likewise has a lot of grad students)

Yeah, you'd have a better shot at C-USA (and not the Big East) but I'm not sure Georgia Southern would be viewed as a peer to the C-USA teams, certainly not as a new comer. I think Georgia Southern would be more a peer to the Sun Belt.

Well...maybe the future but I think the Board of Regents wants to put the brakes on schools wanting to achieve "mission creep". Georgia Southern might be on its own in having to raise its own money beyond what the state will give Regional Universities.

Actually, I agree with this. I think the country notes a team playing in the most lowly of bowls more than the FCS national champ. I rarely hear sports programs talk about the FCS championship but I hear all about the bowls, even the lowly ones.

pete4256
November 30th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Oh, I see. So I-A is about you belonging there while keeping who you think don't belong out. The same sort of mentality you guys hate right now.

But then again. Here's that same line of idiotic logic for Elon.

Are we more like Duke, Wake Forest and Vanderbilt?
Or are we more like Coastal Carolina, Western Carolina and Towson?

Are The Citadel and VMI more like Army, Navy and the Air Force? Or are they more like App, GSU and Western???

Here's one for you.

Are Akron, East Carolina, Marshall, MTSU more like Florida State, Tennessee and Alabama or are they more like GSU, Coastal and James Madison.

That is what I love about you people. It's the "there should be a subdivision" crowd as long as that mystical line in the sand is drawn behind you. So, GSU should be I-A. But Elon and others should not.

Elitism is all I can say.

How do you get elitism out of my post? Do you think that ECU, GSU, Marshall, or WKU can really claim to be any better than Elon?

They are different.

I don't know much about Elon, but I assumed it was either a bachelor's or master's level private institution with similarities to Wofford, Samford, or Furman. My saying so is not an insult. If I'm wrong I apologize.

I don't think you (plural) read what I had to say. I mean, really read it. GSU is in the midst of a large-scale effort to expand the university in all directions. To this point, athletics has maintained the status quo (in terms of budget, conference, etc.).

I really don't know how all of you draw conclusions that I've never even hinted and impute attitudes that I do not hold.

Simply put: a move to I-A is part of institutional growth toward being a regional reseacrh university like the schools I mentioned above.

pete4256
November 30th, 2007, 11:02 PM
"When"? Don't you mean "if"? The University System already has a full plate supporting 4 research institutions. And UGA wants to add a med school and engineering. Kennesaw State's growth is outpacing Georgia Southern's and KSU is adding PhD programs as well. Plus the University System just opened Georgia Gwinnett. If anything, the USG should promote Kennesaw State and West Georgia to Regional Universities. The USG has already raised their funding levels to that of Georgia Southern's and Valdosta's.

Were you referring to the chancellor of the University System of Georgia? The only chancellor there is in Georgia is of the University System. Each school has a president.

Georgia Southern's Carnegie classification is: Doctoral/Research University with a very high undergraduate population
whereas:
Georgia State University: Research Universities (high research activity) with majority undergraduate (Georgia State has a lot of grad students)

UGA: Research Universities (very high research activity) with a high undergraduate population

Georgia Tech: Research Universities (very high research activity) with majority undergraduate (Tech likewise has a lot of grad students)

Yeah, you'd have a better shot at C-USA (and not the Big East) but I'm not sure Georgia Southern would be viewed as a peer to the C-USA teams, certainly not as a new comer. I think Georgia Southern would be more a peer to the Sun Belt.

Well...maybe the future but I think the Board of Regents wants to put the brakes on schools wanting to achieve "mission creep". Georgia Southern might be on its own in having to raise its own money beyond what the state will give Regional Universities.

Actually, I agree with this. I think the country notes a team playing in the most lowly of bowls more than the FCS national champ. I rarely hear sports programs talk about the FCS championship but I hear all about the bowls, even the lowly ones.

All of that is pretty accurate.

"Your chancellor" was a reference to App State's leader.

GSU has been fighting to be THE south Georgia regional research university since the early 1980s, and despite the slow progress vis a vis the BOR, I think the university's growth in all areas has made it pretty clear that "when" is more accurate than "if." At this point is getting ridiculously close to a fait accompli.

All that notwithstanding, I know very little about the state-level politics; I don't think there are very many who do.

At this point, we do look more like a Sunbelt institution, but I don't think our goals end there. And I'm being realistic, I think.

But, to start back at the beginning, I have doubts whether this study will translate into a move. If it does, only a blind optimist would think we'll immediately move to the Big East. And it would take a LOT of luck to hava a shot at C-USA.

gophoenix
November 30th, 2007, 11:15 PM
How do you get elitism out of my post? Do you think that ECU, GSU, Marshall, or WKU can really claim to be any better than Elon?

They are different.

I don't know much about Elon, but I assumed it was either a bachelor's or master's level private institution with similarities to Wofford, Samford, or Furman. My saying so is not an insult. If I'm wrong I apologize.

I don't think you (plural) read what I had to say. I mean, really read it. GSU is in the midst of a large-scale effort to expand the university in all directions. To this point, athletics has maintained the status quo (in terms of budget, conference, etc.).

I really don't know how all of you draw conclusions that I've never even hinted and impute attitudes that I do not hold.

Simply put: a move to I-A is part of institutional growth toward being a regional reseacrh university like the schools I mentioned above.

No. What I am saying is. Elon is growing at paces like GSU is. Elon has tripled in size in 13 years. Elon is comparable more to Davidson, Liberty, William & Mary, Richmond and Campbell as far as the University goes. But, a school growing a changing it's academic profile is not to say that said university doesn't belong in a conference with a school like Elon which is a regional university of the same classification as App, James Madison and The Citadel.

NC State is comparable to Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech (and even NC A&T); but nothing like UNC or especially Duke and Wake Forest.

So, changing your academic profile really means nothing about sports playing other than exposure into a different realm is said move is successful.

I read many posts where App and GSU fans blame the world of their affiliation with Elon and Wofford being one of the end all problems. So I ask, why. There are some circles that know Elon, Furman and Wofford ahead of App and GSU. There are other circles that know GSU and App more than the other three.

I just don't see why there is such a line of separation like some of you guys so want there to be.

And what happens if you do move up. Elon, Liberty and Furman have the monetary ability to do it too. Would it be good, hard to say, just like it is hard to say it would be good for you. Maybe more football exposure. But for other sports, it's a wash.

So... why does the university performance have anything to do with where you belong or don't belong in academics. And why are Elon et al always blamed for (or used as the example) for the WHY?

Syntax Error
November 30th, 2007, 11:39 PM
First, I wouldn't cite wikipedia as a source without qualifying it as "being from widipedia, so take it for what it's worth." Second, leave it to a yankee/midwesterner to tell Southerners what constitutes the South. :p On that, whatever Citdog says, I'll go along with that. xnodxThe wiki page uses census data. Citdog was romancing over the Bonny Blue song which with the flag came from Texas (which fought with the Confederacy in that war). So I think he might include them in your SOUTH definition.

Anyway......... good luck fellas!

GaSouthern
December 1st, 2007, 07:29 AM
Didn't App St. already do a study to see if they were ready to make the jump?

gsugt1
December 1st, 2007, 08:12 AM
The pure hatred in this thread displayed by some is quite disturbing. xsmhx

Tell me about it. Tell Lady Di Hi !!:)

WUTNDITWAA
December 1st, 2007, 08:44 AM
Didn't App St. already do a study to see if they were ready to make the jump?

Yes, but it was some 10 years ago and under old management, pre titles, pre Michigan and pre 27,000 attendance.

JDC325
December 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM

It would be a real shame to see GSU follow in the sad, sorry footsteps of Troy, MTSU, WKU, ULL, ULM and countless others into FBS purgatory. And unless the Big East is minting new offers to join their league, that's probably where you'll end up. In my mind, FCS football is not only better than fBS football with no true champion, but one million times better than FBS Purgatory.

Jeez WKU is not even an official FBS school and you are throwing them under the bus. xeekx Troy is having a great season BTW.

citdog
December 1st, 2007, 10:15 AM
Yes, but it was some 10 years ago and under old management, pre titles, pre Michigan and pre 27,000 attendance.

lose in the playoffs this year and see how many of these fans show up next year when the bloom will be off the Michigan win

mathman
December 1st, 2007, 10:25 AM
GSU has been fighting to be THE south Georgia regional research university since the early 1980s, and despite the slow progress vis a vis the BOR, I think the university's growth in all areas has made it pretty clear that "when" is more accurate than "if." At this point is getting ridiculously close to a fait accompli.
In the early 1990s, there was a big push to have another engineering school in south Georgia to promote that region's economy and Georgia Southern was going to be it. There was a good case for it because in Georgia, really most of the development is in north Georgia and centered mostly around Atlanta. But Georgia Tech managed to use its influence to shoot down that idea. I think a compromise of sorts was made so that students could start their education there and finish at Georgia Tech.

South Georgia could make a case that all the state's research schools are in the northern half of the state (Augusta is sort of in the middle) and two are in Atlanta. So Georgia Southern could argue that southern part of the state is not being served. But it's too bad that Georgia Southern is not in Savannah rather than being about 50 miles away. Georgia Southern mainly benefits Statesboro rather than support Savannah's economic development. In the same way that UGA really supports the development of Athens rather than Atlanta or even all of Georgia. It's unfortunate that past politics of Georgia had the legislature put colleges in really remote areas to promote that small town rather than Georgia's second tier cities. I think the university system should have regional universities in Savannah, Macon, Columbus, Augusta (they have the med school), and Albany.

At this point, we do look more like a Sunbelt institution, but I don't think our goals end there. And I'm being realistic, I think.
It might end there because you know that UGA is the favorite child of the state so nothing will be allowed to undermine them. Georgia State had a really hard time getting a law school and UGA was trying to stop it. I'm still surprised that Georgia State finally got the law school. And of course the other favorite child is Georgia Tech which did manage to stop Georgia Southern from having an engineering program. I think Georgia Southern has only engineering technology which is "engineering lite".

But, to start back at the beginning, I have doubts whether this study will translate into a move. If it does, only a blind optimist would think we'll immediately move to the Big East. And it would take a LOT of luck to hava a shot at C-USA.
I don't see why not. Georgia Southern really looks like Troy in having strong regional support. And like Troy, I think Georgia Southern fits into the Sun Belt along with its old TAAC members Florida Atlantic and Florida International. Former TAAC member UCF was a much better developed program so they found themselves in C-USA.

JDC325
December 1st, 2007, 10:25 AM

Do you really expect haters to actually conduct research instead of ignorant dooms day opinions and scenarios? I doubt they know how much the school has exploded since the day football was reborn or stats on our ever increasing academic standards or explosion of the state and region. I find the hate funny, a little bit of sour grapes mixed with pinch of zealotry, a dash of jealousy and heaping pile of ignorance. Sorry our football program that is younger than most of the fans in the stadium has done more and a grown more that most of you have in 50-100 years. xoopsx

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM
Everything that mathman says about the relationship between the Georgia BoR and GSU is true. I wish we had the kind of support tha ASU gets from its system and its chancellor. Our chancellor probably wouldn't want to be caught dead on our campus, much less be seen on national TV trying to get the crowd riled up at one of our playoff games.

Sometimes I think GSU should secede from the University System of Georgia.

xflamemadx

JDC325
December 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM
Everything that mathman says about the relationship between the Georgia BoR and GSU is true. I wish we had the kind of support tha ASU gets from its system and its chancellor. Our chancellor probably wouldn't want to be caught dead on our campus, much less be seen on national TV trying to get the crowd riled up at one of our playoff games.

Sometimes I think GSU should secede from the University System of Georgia.

xflamemadx

I think their chancellor in this case is like our President Grube=Peacock.

citdog
December 1st, 2007, 10:45 AM
did someone say SECEDE?xrulesx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xlolx

pete4256
December 1st, 2007, 11:38 AM
No. What I am saying is. Elon is growing at paces like GSU is. Elon has tripled in size in 13 years. Elon is comparable more to Davidson, Liberty, William & Mary, Richmond and Campbell as far as the University goes. But, a school growing a changing it's academic profile is not to say that said university doesn't belong in a conference with a school like Elon which is a regional university of the same classification as App, James Madison and The Citadel.

NC State is comparable to Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech (and even NC A&T); but nothing like UNC or especially Duke and Wake Forest.

So, changing your academic profile really means nothing about sports playing other than exposure into a different realm is said move is successful.

I read many posts where App and GSU fans blame the world of their affiliation with Elon and Wofford being one of the end all problems. So I ask, why. There are some circles that know Elon, Furman and Wofford ahead of App and GSU. There are other circles that know GSU and App more than the other three.

I just don't see why there is such a line of separation like some of you guys so want there to be.

And what happens if you do move up. Elon, Liberty and Furman have the monetary ability to do it too. Would it be good, hard to say, just like it is hard to say it would be good for you. Maybe more football exposure. But for other sports, it's a wash.

So... why does the university performance have anything to do with where you belong or don't belong in academics. And why are Elon et al always blamed for (or used as the example) for the WHY?

I didn't say GSU didn't belong in the Socon. I said that the Sunbelt or C-USA would be better fits in the near future. Those two statements don't mean the same thing. I understand your initial reaction, but I don't think anything I said should be construed as offensive or negative toward Elon.

How many people were angry and insulted when Marshall moved up? I remember thinking that--considering their enrollment, attendance, and institutional profile--it was about time.

Was Elon insulting their former afiliates when they chose to go I-AA? If not, explain. Should the Big South contiue to hold a grudge?

Why did Elon make moves?

gophoenix
December 1st, 2007, 12:52 PM
I didn't say GSU didn't belong in the Socon. I said that the Sunbelt or C-USA would be better fits in the near future. Those two statements don't mean the same thing. I understand your initial reaction, but I don't think anything I said should be construed as offensive or negative toward Elon.

How many people were angry and insulted when Marshall moved up? I remember thinking that--considering their enrollment, attendance, and institutional profile--it was about time.

Was Elon insulting their former afiliates when they chose to go I-AA? If not, explain. Should the Big South contiue to hold a grudge?

Why did Elon make moves?

Should the Big South hold a grudge? Yes. And they do to a point as Big South football was created for us and Liberty more than anything and we left anyway. And then we left them high and dry regardless.

There is a major difference in the way things are structured here. When Elon left the NAIA, D-II and Big South; we as fans didn't go blaming Carson-Newman, Wingate, Liberty, Coastal or High Point (or the others). Many of guys are constantly laying out the reasons and it always involved those darn private schools as why. Only App and GSU do this. When UConn moved up, you didn't hear their fans blaming Northeastern or Hofstra. But you people are always doing that. How can your fans be excited over Elon. Elon this, Wofford, that, we're a different schools. Etc etc etc. It's like comparing Florida State to Wake Forest. Or Virginia Tech to Duke. But for some reason you are constantly laying the blame on a handful on a handful of other schools.

That is where the problem is. Want to move up to create a scenario for better competition or better exposure, that's fine. But to constantly lay the blame of "we don't belong with these guys" wreaks of MAJOR elitism.