PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Salaries

DOME
November 29th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know of a list of NCAA coaches salaries?

Trying to figure out how FCS coaches compare to FBS and Basketball Coaches

bluehenbillk
November 29th, 2007, 03:35 PM
You won't find a reliable one, if one at all. Many schools never release them. Hell here in PA, there has been a laswsuit since '02 or '03 to release what JoePa pulls in each year.

DOME
November 29th, 2007, 03:39 PM
JoePa should run for president. I'd vote for him...

appfan2008
November 29th, 2007, 04:22 PM
he would win in PA for sure...

patssle
November 29th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Great thing about Texas is our open records. We know what every state university employee makes...athletics or academics.

putter
November 29th, 2007, 04:42 PM
There was a list that someone posted before. It listed all the FBS schools and their packages but I can't remember when or where it was posted.

roadwarrior
November 29th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Here is a link:

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

Thundar
November 29th, 2007, 04:53 PM
http://www.coacheshotseat.com/

this site has lots of info.

LehighFan11
November 29th, 2007, 05:06 PM
You won't find a reliable one, if one at all. Many schools never release them. Hell here in PA, there has been a laswsuit since '02 or '03 to release what JoePa pulls in each year.

It's funny you mention that because there is a story on espn today that releases Joe Pa's salary. It says he will make just over $500,000 this year. Which is small considering Saban makes over 4 million.

danefan
November 29th, 2007, 05:10 PM
It's funny you mention that because there is a story on espn today that releases Joe Pa's salary. It says he will make just over $500,000 this year. Which is small considering Saban makes over 4 million.

In a 20/20 or 60 minutes story a couple years ago, they showed Joe Pa at his house which is a very modest ranch that hasn't been updated since Joe Pa's glasses in 1976. Also, the story said that he donates almost his entire salary back to the university every year. He "lives" off of his Nike and other endorsement deals.

Here's the link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/13/eveningnews/main2007058.shtml

In an age when big-time coaches demand multimillion-dollar contracts, Paterno has donated $4 million to Penn State for scholarships and a new library.

Franks Tanks
November 29th, 2007, 05:12 PM

I always suspected his salary was relatively modest compared to that of his peers. I wonder if he has ever even asked for a raise? Probabaly only when he almost left to coach the Boston Patriots in 1969- Yes the BOSTON Pats--hes that old.

danefan
November 29th, 2007, 05:16 PM
His salary being released today has to hurt other coaches trying to negotiate deals right? I mean now a school simply has to say "Hey look what the winningest (or second) coach in FBS makes. Why should we pay you more?"

turfdoc
November 29th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Remember that Saban's Salary package includes the Nike deal etc.... JoPa's does not, it is just what the University pays him directly. Very different when comparing salaries....... Apples to apples

Franks Tanks
November 29th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Remember that Saban's Salary package includes the Nike deal etc.... JoPa's does not, it is just what the University pays him directly. Very different when comparing salaries....... Apples to apples

I believe Sabans 4 mil indicates just what he is paid by Alabama--as are all other coaches "salaries" . We have no idea how much they earn in other ways typically like camps and endorsments.

jonmac
November 29th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I agree as to incomplete reporting of salaries. Especially state supported schools. I would imagine that even in Texas all that is subject to the public record law is the actual salary that the state pays, not endorsements or what comes from the booster club. It's almost one of those things that I feel better not knowing the whole story, would probably make me sick. It is obvious that there are many who are overpaid and many who are underpaid. Can't blame a guy for trying to make all he can though, must be nice.

Franks Tanks
November 29th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I agree as to incomplete reporting of salaries. Especially state supported schools. I would imagine that even in Texas all that is subject to the public record law is the actual salary that the state pays, not endorsements or what comes from the booster club. It's almost one of those things that I feel better not knowing the whole story, would probably make me sick. It is obvious that there are many who are overpaid and many who are underpaid. Can't blame a guy for trying to make all he can though, must be nice.

But why would the state report what the coach earns outside of the salary paid by the school? He is free to earn endorsments or enter into other business ventures just as you or I would as long as there is no conflict of interest with our primary employer.

jonmac
November 29th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I think what most folks want to know is what a coach makes, not just the "salary". The salary is not the bulk of a high paid coach's income. I'm not saying the state should report that, just that what the state does report is not a complete representation of a coach's income as a coach. And whether or not it is salary the money he earns, a la endorsements, etc. is directly related to his being a coach. No problem with that though, as stated earlier. But because of that it is somewhat futile to try to determine what a coach's true salary is. It will always be more than what the school is required to report.

I wonder if any school has ever tried to get a portion of a coach's extra income since the reason he is able to earn it is because he is "Coach X, of AnyState U"? I imagine this is taken care of in the contract. Interesting thought though.

turfdoc
November 29th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Actually most reported salaries from large universities include the endorsement deals, TV shows and coaches must report all additional income (ala Franchione (sp)). Often those endrosements have to be through the university payroll system. I assume Spurrier may have a similar deal but he cannot use his team name hence that cheesey pizza commercial. Jopa is actually in commercials that reference Penn State.

The holding back of that information from the PSU pay statistcs is part of Penn State's resistance to having to report salaries. Paterno gave over $12,000,000 to help build the life sciences wing of the Pattee/Paterno Library.

Franks Tanks
November 30th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I think what most folks want to know is what a coach makes, not just the "salary". The salary is not the bulk of a high paid coach's income. I'm not saying the state should report that, just that what the state does report is not a complete representation of a coach's income as a coach. And whether or not it is salary the money he earns, a la endorsements, etc. is directly related to his being a coach. No problem with that though, as stated earlier. But because of that it is somewhat futile to try to determine what a coach's true salary is. It will always be more than what the school is required to report.

I wonder if any school has ever tried to get a portion of a coach's extra income since the reason he is able to earn it is because he is "Coach X, of AnyState U"? I imagine this is taken care of in the contract. Interesting thought though.

I understand what your saying but all im really concerend about is what the coach gets paid by his public institution. They are getting paid by tax dollars -- if they are able to earn income in other ways -great, but were not using public funds to do it. Private schools are a little different.

HIU 93
November 30th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Most BCS and major Div. I basketball coaches that have large salaries do not receive the lump sum of their salaries from the universities. Private sources pay those salaries.

drpnut
November 30th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Who do you think draws the highest salary in FCS?

pantheralum16
November 30th, 2007, 03:23 PM
http://data.desmoinesregister.com/results/index.php?info=State_Salaries

Heres a link for State of Iowa Salaries.

Mark Farley made $151,000 in 2006

Compared to:
Kirk Ferentz UI FB coach: 3.1 Mil
Gene Chizik ISU FB Coach: 586,000

I don't think that is for a full year for Chizik though

bluehenbillk
November 30th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Who do you think draws the highest salary in FCS?

Believe it's KC keeler, around 350K, can't tell if that's base or more likely his whole deal.

henfan
November 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Dear Sirs,

Our head football coach is the highest paid in the FCS.

Signed,
Every Athletic Director in the FCS
xrotatehx

henfan
November 30th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Dear Sirs,

I can assure you that our head football coach is the highest paid in the FCS.

Signed,

xcoffeex

Purple For Life
November 30th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Dear Sirs,

I can assure you that our head football coach is the highest paid in the FCS.

Signed,

xcoffeex

Naw, Rick wouldn't say that.