PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cross at Boston College: thoughts this year and from year's past.

Sader87
September 5th, 2023, 12:36 PM
Just thought I'd start this thread as this game was once one of the bigger college football games in the East. A sort of "Catholic/Jesuit" Harvard-Yale if you will.

Here's some history on the rivalry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_College%E2%80%93Holy_Cross_football_rivalry

Many of us who bleed purple are really looking forward to the game Saturday. Still a tall task, but this may be the closest we have been to being competitive with BC since Doug Flutie stepped on campus in 1981.

Look forward to hearing some thoughts on this year or year's past games here. (With the cavaet that you have to be about 55 or older to really remember this game being a rivalry game) xdrunkyx

GO CROSS GO! BEAT BC!

Reign of Terrier
September 5th, 2023, 12:57 PM
It's going to be hard for HC to sneak up on BC after NIU got the upset last week. BC's going to be locked in. Will be a test, but I'll be pulling for HC

crusader11
September 5th, 2023, 01:23 PM
Feels like Chesney has been building up to this game over the past five years. In 2018, BC absolutely demolished HC, in Chesney's first season, 62-14. Both of HC's touchdowns came off of blocked punts that were scoop and scores. This is when BC had AJ Dillon. They were legitimately good that season, beginning 7-2 and rising up to 17th in the top 25. I think if BC wanted to score 100 points, they easily could have. The BC starters played the first three or four series and then were pulled.

Anyways, HC isn't going to come into this game intimidated. I think there's an expectation to win. No such thing as moral victories, that's for sure.

One of the biggest reasons for HC's success under Chesney is credited to the S&C coach, Chris Grautski. HC has been really dominant in the second half of games under Chesney. Their offensive line play is also very, very good. Luke Newman and CJ Hanson are legitimate NFL prospects. I'd be very surprised if HC isn't able to move the ball on Saturday. I am concerned about our defensive line to put pressure on whomever BC has at QB (looks like Thomas Castellanos), along with our secondary preventing the big play. Fortunately, seems like throwing and catching is something BC is challenged with.

Very curious about what the line opens up for this. NIU was +8, if I recall. Guessing HC will be in the 10-13 range.

Sitting Bull
September 5th, 2023, 01:28 PM
Good luck and hope it’s a fun game. These old rivalry games should continue to be part of college football. We have same feel with the UVA game. It means something to keep playing them.

Sir William
September 5th, 2023, 04:45 PM
I'll take HC by 2. Believing in you, Crusaders!

caribbeanhen
September 5th, 2023, 08:51 PM
Don’t sleep on Sluka

big game player

The Boogie Down
September 5th, 2023, 09:04 PM
Don't remember his name but do know there was a guy who wrote a book about the HC-BC rivalry. Unfortunately, he passed away about 5-6 years ago and before he could see Chesney turn things around.

MUHAWKS
September 5th, 2023, 10:23 PM
I think it is safe to say even if you do not like Holy Cross, we are all Holy Cross Fans this week. (I like Holy Cross FYI) even more than the normal FCS/FBS stuff.. a PL beating an ACC regardless of anything else would be huge..

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 6th, 2023, 12:17 AM
Agree with MUHAWKS we will all be rooting for the Crusaders this w/e.
Here's some history on the rivalry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston...otball_rivalry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_College%E2%80%93Holy_Cross_football_rivalry ) , enjoyed this read about the history.
Having been to a couple games at Chestnut Hill wonder if the Crusaders fans are allowed to tailgate with their Jesuit bros as those spots are very hard to come by or either very expensive, anyway best of luck to you, BEAT BC!!!

Go...gate
September 6th, 2023, 12:24 AM
Definitely rooting for Holy Cross!

Go Crusaders!

Wolffan
September 6th, 2023, 10:29 AM
Don’t sleep on Sluka

big game playerYes he is. And if he can do it against an ACC team (on the ground and in the air) he may face some interesting choices as far as next year goes...

Sader87
September 6th, 2023, 12:15 PM
Don't remember his name but do know there was a guy who wrote a book about the HC-BC rivalry. Unfortunately, he passed away about 5-6 years ago and before he could see Chesney turn things around.

Here you go Boogie: https://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Glory-Football-Rivalry-College/dp/1929039174

crusader11
September 9th, 2023, 08:01 AM
Holy Cross +9.5

Chalupa Batman
September 9th, 2023, 08:45 AM
Holy Cross +9.5

I’d be very willing to bet on the Crusaders at that number.

crusader11
September 9th, 2023, 09:03 AM
For what it’s worth, NIU was +8.5 (as I recall), last week against BC.

crusader11
September 9th, 2023, 09:10 AM
Line now down to 8.5.

crusader11
September 9th, 2023, 11:38 AM
7-7 early 2Q.

There have been two drives all game. BC began with a 14 play drive that took up about seven minutes. HC responded with a nine minute TD drive.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 11:43 AM
HC looks really good on offense. Game is real chippy, looks and feels like a rivalry game. Sluka is the best FCS QB in the country.

Chalupa Batman
September 9th, 2023, 11:58 AM
If HC can repeat their first drive they can score a TD right before half and then get the 2nd half kickoff…

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 9th, 2023, 12:03 PM
WR drops a great pass by Sluka and how can HC get a delay of game when ref is stopping play and allowing BC D to get off the field???

POD Knows
September 9th, 2023, 12:26 PM
21-14. Sluka is a freaking baller.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 9th, 2023, 12:37 PM
24-14 at the half, if HC D could stop BC they would have a chance cause no one is stopping Sluka.

Catbooster
September 9th, 2023, 01:04 PM
Great drive so far to start the 2nd half

caribbeanhen
September 9th, 2023, 01:10 PM
24-14 at the half, if HC D could stop BC they would have a chance cause no one is stopping Sluka.

perfect analysis

caribbeanhen
September 9th, 2023, 01:11 PM
21-14. Sluka is a freaking baller.

his legend is growing

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 01:12 PM
Sluka is a beast! Go Crusaders!

crusader11
September 9th, 2023, 01:14 PM
his legend is growing

Credit to Caribbean for being an early believer.

Wolffan
September 9th, 2023, 01:14 PM
HC down 24-21 in a 3rd QTR dogfight. This is a better HC team...offense will be scoring a lot more than last year.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 9th, 2023, 01:31 PM
BC QB is very good but he is a meatstick and is going to cost his team the W, coach needs to reel him in.

Wolffan
September 9th, 2023, 01:43 PM
HC looking a little tired at the start of the 4th. Time for the RBs to get it going...defense keying on Sluka.

grizband
September 9th, 2023, 01:52 PM
Huge pickup by HC with a 13 yard rush on 4th and 1!

grizband
September 9th, 2023, 01:55 PM
Sluka with a beautiful sideline pass where only his receiver could make a play. Unfortunately, Sluka then gets sacked at the BC 40.

crusader11
September 9th, 2023, 02:00 PM
31-28 with about 7:30 left.

This is setting up nicely. Right where we want to be. Need a stop and then Sluka gets the ball back with a chance to win it. Fortunately, HC had a long drive there, so defense should get their legs back.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 02:09 PM
BC punting!

Decided instead go for it on 4th and 1 and convert!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 02:20 PM
HC will get the ball back with about two minutes left in 4Q! Here we go!

- - - Updated - - -

....and now the game is delayed!! wow!!

crusader11
September 9th, 2023, 02:23 PM
I don’t hate this delay…

Let’s catch our breath and script out a series of plays to begin this drive.

Time shouldn’t be a huge issue with a timeout and beginning the drive at the 25 instead of 10 — thanks for being an incredible undisciplined team, BC.

grizband
September 9th, 2023, 02:23 PM
HC will get the ball back with about two minutes left in 4Q! Here we go!

- - - Updated - - -

....and now the game is delayed!! wow!!
Immediately after a 15 yard personal foul by the kicking team on that punt, a delay could kill the momentum for Holy Cross.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 02:36 PM
I don’t hate this delay…

Let’s catch our breath and script out a series of plays to begin this drive.

Time shouldn’t be a huge issue with a timeout and beginning the drive at the 25 instead of 10 — thanks for being an incredible undisciplined team, BC.

I would have preferred the delay did not happen. All the pressure was on BC at that point given the ebb and flows of the game. The personal foul to give HC wiggle room added to the momentum for HC. Now the players, crowd, etc will need to create a new "vibe" given the unique dynamic that will be in place.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 02:53 PM
Any updates from Chestnut Hill in terms of likely resumption time?

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 9th, 2023, 02:56 PM
Broadcast said it had to be a minimum of a 1/2 hr, we are by that now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 03:01 PM
Broadcast said it had to be a minimum of a 1/2 hr, we are by that now.

Just saw the Lehigh at Merrimack game (being played at Harvard) is in a delay too...

grizband
September 9th, 2023, 03:57 PM
Just saw the Lehigh at Merrimack game (being played at Harvard) is in a delay too...
Sacred Heart vs Georgetown is also delayed.

crusader11
September 9th, 2023, 04:16 PM
Teams taking the field at 5:15, resuming at 5:30.

Going to be a weird finish.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 04:23 PM
Teams taking the field at 5:15, resuming at 5:30.

Going to be a weird finish.

Thanks for the update! I'll be switching over accordingly!

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 9th, 2023, 04:35 PM
Game is back on and Sluka has a big run to the BC 40. 1:49 left

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 04:37 PM
HC 1st and 10 at BC 26 1:18 left

- - - Updated - - -

Sluka fumbles! BC recovers! wow!

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 9th, 2023, 04:39 PM
Oh frig Sluka fumbles BC recovers, first scalp escapes us again.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2023, 04:40 PM
BC holds on 31-28

This game will haunt Crusaders for generations. '87 might need professional attention....

UNHWildcat18
September 9th, 2023, 04:43 PM
UNH fans can sympathize…..

crusader11
September 9th, 2023, 04:44 PM
What a ****ty way to lose. Really tough.

Son of Eli
September 9th, 2023, 05:13 PM
I thought Sluka was heading for a TD before he stepped out of bounds. What a terrible way to lose.

NY Crusader 2010
September 10th, 2023, 06:36 AM
I thought Sluka was heading for a TD before he stepped out of bounds. What a terrible way to lose.

It would've been a footrace to the pylon. I think he gets pushed out before scoring had he not stepped out at the 40. Had he taken that to the house, the other factor is that BC still would've had over 1:40 to respond...of course the pressure would've been on because, assuming we made the PAT, the Eagles would've needed a TD.

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2023, 07:06 AM
The ball was slippery and it Sluka right out of his hand..

Sluka is a fun player to watch and BC was lucky to escape with the W

NY Crusader 2010
September 10th, 2023, 09:36 AM

I just re-watched the replay of that run. And yea he was gone. Game of inches.

Sader87
September 10th, 2023, 11:47 AM
I just re-watched the replay of that run. And yea he was gone. Game of inches.

UGGGHHHH!!!!

Happened right in front of us.

Surreal atmosphere.....crowd was 10 to 1 pro HC after the resumption. Would have been a magical ending.

Kids played awesome and it was great to see so much support for HC at Chestnut Hill yesterday!

Beat Yale!!!

- - - Updated - - -

KPSUL
September 10th, 2023, 11:56 AM
Holy Cross seems to play up, and down, to their competition. Merrimack last week was down by 1 point with 1 minute left in the 3rd quarter. Lehigh beat Merrimack yesterday. The Boston College game was a great effort for the Cross, but any team that coasts through the first half of many of their less challenging games cannot dodge the upset bullet forever.
The Patriot League seems to be rising and had a great weekend. Holy Cross is due for an upset in a conference game this year.

grayghost06
September 11th, 2023, 10:40 AM
Great game by the Crusaders. Watched it in its entirety last night. You guys were every bit as good as your old rivals. Though it was a tough way to lose, I know the team made those old 'Sader grads very proud. Look forward to seeing Holy Cross make a strong title run this year.

Ivytalk
September 11th, 2023, 02:23 PM
Kudos to the Saders for a strong effort. Harvard always had a hockey rivalry with BC, in the Beanpot and otherwise. I always root for BC to lose, although I hate ND more.xcoolx

Wolffan
September 12th, 2023, 08:38 AM
Holy Cross seems to play up, and down, to their competition. Merrimack last week was down by 1 point with 1 minute left in the 3rd quarter. Lehigh beat Merrimack yesterday. The Boston College game was a great effort for the Cross, but any team that coasts through the first half of many of their less challenging games cannot dodge the upset bullet forever.
The Patriot League seems to be rising and had a great weekend. Holy Cross is due for an upset in a conference game this year.
Or, game 1 of this season Holy Cross beat Merrimack by three touchdowns (last year's margin was two touchdowns) and game 2 of this season they lost a 3-point squeaker to (ACC) Boston College at Boston College.

I suspect Holy Cross' offense is stronger this year than last and overall team speed on offense and defense has improved... but D-line has taken a step back due to graduation. Fordham remains their biggest challenge in the PL and I'm not sure Fordham beating Holy Cross would be that big of an upset (last year Holy Cross beat Fordham in overtime 53-52).

Lehigh may be stronger than last year (hard to be weaker, 2-9 last year) and that may also be the case with Georgetown (2-9 last year), etc.

(May be heresy to say this but Sluka gets away with casual ball handling as the pocket breaks down and he starts his scrambles and I'm surprised it doesn't get knocked away more v stronger/quicker opposition.)