PDA

View Full Version : Last Gateway Hurrah?

Syntax Error
November 29th, 2007, 01:09 AM
http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071126/SPORTS02/71126023/1003/SPORTS

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/11/27/sports/doc474cc975174aa196561448.txt

Gateway to become Missouri Valley?
The Associated Press
November 26, 2007, 12:56 PM CST

BROOKINGS, S.D. -- The Gateway Football Conference might change its name to the Missouri Valley Conference. Gateway coaches and athletic directors plan to talk about the name change at a February meeting in St. Louis.

Gateway is a separate entity under the Missouri Valley Conference. Five of the nine schools that will be in the Gateway next year -- Northern Iowa, Illinois State, Indiana State, Missouri State and Southern Illinois -- already compete in the Missouri Valley Conference in other sports.

"The thought is we'd have access to leveraging in both television and marketing that we haven't had in the past," said Patty Viverito, Missouri Valley Conference commissioner. "So if we can make it work, we'll make it work. Preliminary discussions said if all we're talking about is re-branding, there's value and we can all live with that."

The 100-year-old Missouri Valley Conference, the second-oldest NCAA Division I conference, sponsored football until 1985. Viverito said the MVC based many of its decisions on what was best for football, and that became divisive among members. After football was dropped, the Missouri Valley then focused on becoming a mid-major power in men's basketball.

"There might be some opportunities for football to benefit from that, and the current membership is much more consolidated," Viverito said. "What I've heard so far: 'If we're just talking about re-branding, I can live with that. If we're talking about something crazy like affiliate membership, no.' And that's not what we're talking about." ....

Herdman
November 29th, 2007, 08:11 AM
This is extremely old news. If the MVC wants it to happen it will happen. They realize they made a huge mistake by dropping football. Now they want to capitalize on the success of their members who have football and the success that they are having. They say one thing when they definatley mean another. They're just spinning the story because they don't want their non-football members and Drake(PFL) to feel left out. What's next wrestling?

I think there is a lot more to this than just the Gateway wanting to get MVC's name recongintion. IMO, it has more to do with NDSU and SDSU joining the conference next year and the fact that the Gateway is becoming national football power. I think it is the MVC that now wants to capitalize on their member schools success on the football field and having two more schools that have pretty good football teams and offer full athletic programs like UNI, SIL, WIL, MSU, ISU etc...enhances the whole conference.

93BlueHen
November 29th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I'm thinking the Colonial should change its name again, since it's the cool thing to do.

My suggestions:

East Coast Bias League (ECBL)
Five Automatic Bids (FAB)
Coulson Hates Our Guts (CHOG)

89Hen
November 29th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Coming from a schools who's been in five conferences in my lifetime, it's no big deal. xsmiley_wix

It actually makes sense anyway with five of the current Gateway teams being in the MVC anyway. Somebody may as well play in the same conference for all sports. xthumbsupx

Ronin
November 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM
And what would become of WIU and Youngstown?

Would they join the MVC for all sports? Would they be dropped from the football conference?

89Hen
November 29th, 2007, 08:36 AM
And what would become of WIU and Youngstown?

Would they join the MVC for all sports? Would they be dropped from the football conference?
They'd be like Villanova, UMass, Richmond, URI, Maine and UNH in the CAA. Just football affiliates.

Hansel
November 29th, 2007, 09:08 AM
everytime NDSU enters a conference they change the name ;)

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. It's been rumored for a while.

Gil Dobie
November 29th, 2007, 09:26 AM

First come first serve on that name xlolx ;)

MplsBison
November 29th, 2007, 09:41 AM
They'd be like Villanova, UMass, Richmond, URI, Maine and UNH in the CAA. Just football affiliates.

Read again:

"What I've heard so far: 'If we're just talking about re-branding, I can live with that. If we're talking about something crazy like affiliate membership, no.' And that's not what we're talking about."

Here is the misconception:

The Missouri Valley Conference is going to sponser football and YSU, WIU, NDSU, and SDSU would become football affiliate members of the MVC.

Here is what they're actually talking about:

The Gateway Football Conference is a separate entity that is operated by the MVC. They want to change the name of the GFC to the Missouri Valley Football Conference. It would still be a separate entity that is operated by the MVC.

NDB
November 29th, 2007, 09:50 AM
This is extremely old news. If the MVC wants it to happen it will happen. They realize they made a huge mistake by dropping football. Now they want to capitalize on the success of their members who have football and the success that they are having. They say one thing when they definatley mean another. They're just spinning the story because they don't want their non-football members and Drake(PFL) to feel left out. What's next wrestling?

I think there is a lot more to this than just the Gateway wanting to get MVC's name recongintion. IMO, it has more to do with NDSU and SDSU joining the conference next year and the fact that the Gateway is becoming national football power. I think it is the MVC that now wants to capitalize on their member schools success on the football field and having two more schools that have pretty good football teams and offer full athletic programs like UNI, SIL, WIL, MSU, ISU etc...enhances the whole conference.

Dang right.

The Missouri Valley just wants to be affiliated with NDSU.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

FCS Preview
November 29th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I'm thinking the Colonial should change its name again, since it's the cool thing to do.

My suggestions:

East Coast Bias League (ECBL)
Five Automatic Bids (FAB)

chogsports.com is available. :D