PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh/Delaware/patriot league

HenHouse1
September 12th, 2005, 09:24 AM
I am a longtime UD fan (of roughly 20 years) but new to this board. I have to admit that i did not hold lehigh or the patriot league in high esteem. This year they seem to be strong and have stepped up their competition. Lehigh seems to have a good team this year. Though I think Delaware got stronger as the game went on, LU impressed me, especially their RB. He ran hard and fought for every yard... even I could appreciate that screen play he had where he broke several tackles going down to near the goal line. I was surprised by the UD student section chant before the game and during the first half of "f*** you Lehigh." that was something that I don't remember hearing before. I offer an apology to the Lehigh fans for that one. I would like to play them in the playoffs and see how much each has improved from this game. I am sure that though we do not always get along, UD and Lehigh fans can agree that this was one of the best games we have witnessed between the two and in general.

P.S. UD fans were particulalrly beligerent. I even got into with a couple, and I was dressed fully in UD clothes, plus I am a loud UD supporter. I don't know what the deal was

Marcus Garvey
September 12th, 2005, 11:23 AM
I think we learned a lot about the the PL this week. Lehigh performed as expected, but the upsets by Lafayette and Colgate were the real surprises. As it stands, the top 3 teams in the league are quite good, as evidenced by their performances against A-10 teams. However, the losses by Bucknell and Fordham to mid-major teams show that the gap between the top and bottom PL teams is as wide as ever. What I find interesting though is that there seems to be a power shift. Are Bucknell and Fordham the new bottom feeders in the league? Have Holy Cross and G'town ascended to mediocrity?

89Hen
September 12th, 2005, 11:23 AM
the upsets by Lafayette
Was that really an upset? :confused:

LUHawker
September 12th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Was that really an upset? :confused:

Only in the context that the general perception is A-10 is better than the Patriot League. Lafayette is solid now and Richmond is still trying to find their footing.

ChickenMan
September 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Lafayette... at home... over Richmond was not an upset.

RadMann
September 12th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Lafayette beat Richmond last year at Richmond. No upset that they beat them this year on their home field. I even picked that game for Lafayette. Richmond is an unknown entity at this point. They have a highly touted former PL coach who has yet to show us much in the A-10, although that may change. Remember folks, these PL teams, by and large are essentially full scholly programs in terms of the amount they invest in their programs, especially Lehigh. Lafayette used to be mediocre, but have come on the last few years as well.

colgate13
September 12th, 2005, 12:04 PM
However, the losses by Bucknell and Fordham to mid-major teams show that the gap between the top and bottom PL teams is as wide as ever.

Is the gap any greater for the PL than any other conference? Just a random thought.

Bucknell really surprised me so far. They've taken some big injuries but I thougt their defense was legit. Fordham is catching some tough breaks I think and is struggling for some leadership, both from players and maybe even coaches. They still have some time to right their ship I think.

JoltinJoe
September 12th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I think Fordham's losses at Rhode Island and Duquense will look better in retropsect. Both seem to be much better than anyone here gives them credit for.

That being said, Fordham continues to give away points through incredibly bad turnovers. An interception return for a TD with four seconds left in the half? Come on.

Last year, I thought these kinds of mistakes were inevitable for a young offense. I thought we'd be noticeably improved in this area, and turn it around this year. But one year later and we're still making these mistakes that cost us games? Worse, the defense is not as experienced as last year, and is not saving the offense from its mistakes the way it did last year,

89Hen
September 12th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Fordham has returned to not even being competitive again. :p

JoltinJoe
September 12th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Big talk after two weeks. Just be happy that you escaped with an overtime win over a PL team at home. :rolleyes:

ChickenMan
September 12th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Just be happy that you escaped with an overtime win over a PL team at home. :rolleyes:

I am... :nod: :D :nod:

89Hen
September 12th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Big talk after two weeks. Just be happy that you escaped with an overtime win over a PL team at home. :rolleyes:
Easy Joe, that was intended for your cohort 'Fordham' to enjoy. :p

blukeys
September 12th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Lafayette over Richmond is in no way an upset. Lafayette was a playoff team last year and Richmond is still struggling as Clawson force feeds his offense to a young group who are not quite ready for it. Richmond is now averaging 3 points a game. :eek: :eek:

Colgate over Umass you just had to see to appreciate. :D :D

JoltinJoe
September 12th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Easy Joe, that was intended for your cohort 'Fordham' to enjoy. :p

I figured as much, going back to you your discussions over the last few months. But when you're 0-2, you get a little sensitive.

Fordham
September 12th, 2005, 04:33 PM

http://www.emuck.com:3000/aotw/tomoon.jpg

(copyright)

FightinBluHen51
September 12th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I am a longtime UD fan (of roughly 20 years) but new to this board. I have to admit that i did not hold lehigh or the patriot league in high esteem. This year they seem to be strong and have stepped up their competition. Lehigh seems to have a good team this year. Though I think Delaware got stronger as the game went on, LU impressed me, especially their RB. He ran hard and fought for every yard... even I could appreciate that screen play he had where he broke several tackles going down to near the goal line. I was surprised by the UD student section chant before the game and during the first half of "f*** you Lehigh." that was something that I don't remember hearing before. I offer an apology to the Lehigh fans for that one. I would like to play them in the playoffs and see how much each has improved from this game. I am sure that though we do not always get along, UD and Lehigh fans can agree that this was one of the best games we have witnessed between the two and in general.

P.S. UD fans were particulalrly beligerent. I even got into with a couple, and I was dressed fully in UD clothes, plus I am a loud UD supporter. I don't know what the deal was

I think the older UD crowd that wasn't true blue fans (ie the kind that like STAND UP during OT and shout and scream) were a bit grumpy because they were up past their bedtimes.

NOTE: To those who sit behind me in section B, I will not ever sit down when told to sit down especially during overtime. If you can't see, stand the heck up!

blukeys
September 12th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I think the older UD crowd that wasn't true blue fans (ie the kind that like STAND UP during OT and shout and scream) were a bit grumpy because they were up past their bedtimes.

NOTE: To those who sit behind me in section B, I will not ever sit down when told to sit down especially during overtime. If you can't see, stand the heck up!

The older crowd was being belligerant? FB51 they were still packing their silver from the pre game tail gate!! :D :D

Having done work "chaperoning" for High school football and basketball games, there is a profile for the typical troublemaker. Usually it is a low life loser who lives in the area who has no connection with the team either as a student or alumni.

For every successful program there are hangers on that get what little sense of self worth they have from associating with a successful sports program. They proceed to act like complete fools during games due to their ignorance and increased "liquid" courage. Having these idiots thrown out of the games is the only way to enjoy the game. ;)

89Hen
September 13th, 2005, 08:28 AM
there is a profile for the typical troublemaker. Usually it is a low life loser who lives in the area who has no connection with the team either as a student or alumni.
:nod: That's what I saw Saturday.

DTSpider
September 13th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Lafayette over Richmond is in no way an upset. Lafayette was a playoff team last year and Richmond is still struggling as Clawson force feeds his offense to a young group who are not quite ready for it. Richmond is now averaging 3 points a game. :eek: :eek:

I'm not sure Richmond would be favored against Sister Mary's School for the Blind at this point.

Actually, it'll be interesting to see if Richmond can get on track at all offensively. 6 points in two games is not what people had in mind when Clawson was hired. It may only be his second season but if this continues throughout this year the faithful (all 8 of us) will begin to grow a little restless.

ChickenMan
September 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Actually, it'll be interesting to see if Richmond can get on track at all offensively. 6 points in two games is not what people had in mind when Clawson was hired.

and it won't get any easier to find points at Maine this week...

MR. CHICKEN
September 13th, 2005, 09:23 AM
RICHMOND 2 1/2 OVERAH S.M.S.B........:o...........BRAWK!

WANT SOME O?........GET STACEY INVOLVED!....DUH, CLAWSON, DUH!.......AWK!..:nod::rotateh::nod:

MR. CHICKEN
September 13th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I'm not sure Richmond would be favored against Sister Mary's School for the Blind at this point.

Actually, it'll be interesting to see if Richmond can get on track at all offensively. 6 points in two games is not what people had in mind when Clawson was hired. It may only be his second season but if this continues throughout this year the faithful (all 8 of us) will begin to grow a little restless.

RICHMOND 2 1/2 OVERAH SMSB!.........:o..........BRAWK!

WANT SOME O?..........GET STACEY INVOLVED!......DUH......CLAWSON......DUH!...AWK! :nod: